Reviews of Beach Motel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

4211 Judah Street, San Francisco, CA 94122, United States of America

#218 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

5.5

5.1

5.1

6.1

4.8

• Reviewed: July 19, 2018

It's pretty bad when the best thing you can say is that there were no bugs.
    • Standard Queen Room

The photos in the ad on booking.com are not completely of this property . The photos are from a different property, at least in part . I have photos but not on the electronic device that I'm typing from . The floor was spongy. The carpet was filthy and ripped, frayed. The older oak furniture had extreme dirt at the edge of the top /drawer. The room needed paint. The TV did not work. There was mold on the shower curtain. Tile was loose at the window. Street Car ran all night except for between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m., apparently. The room was extremely overpriced at nearly $200 a night. I had requested a discount. The manager told me on Sunday that what I paid on Friday was the full amount I verified number and had been prepared to pay byond when I had paid on Friday in cash if necessary. looking at my bank on line I was first charged a lesser amount and then within 7 Days of my stay that charge was doubled to match what booking.com had stated. So much for the 50% discount Mr Bob Patel had inferred when I checked out. I cannot recommend this property. It seriously needs some money thrown on t to bring it up to standard. the price needs to be adjusted quite downward to match the 1930s or 40s narrow accommodations. It was barely enough room to walk around the bed comfortably. The one chair was stored in the closet and it barely fit between the bed and the window to use it. There was a plastic coating on the bathroom window and it was ripped about 4 inches off a corner. I don't know if the heater worked but the vent on the wall heater was rusted. There were no screens on the windows.

there were no bugs. The sheets for clean. It was close to where I needed to be.

• Reviewed: June 27, 2018

Enjoyed the walking distance to the beach.

Parking lot at the hotel needs to be bigger because it not a lot of cars fit and parking around the hotel was hard to find.

I liked that the beach was at walking distance. There is also MUNI transportation to get to different locations near by as well.

• Reviewed: June 22, 2018

It was fun

This is an iconic San Francisco location. As long as you know what your getting into it’s awesome. It’s typical beach stay for the price you pay. I enjoy off the beaten path. The MUNI is right out front and while convenient it’s loud. Stops at 11 PM

• Reviewed: June 5, 2018

Could have been way better
    • Standard Queen Room

Caution tape at the bottom of stairs, our flight landed late and we were told that we had to be there before midnight because they were going to bed, charged for first night before I got there, than charged me for full stay instead of at the end of trip, 2 very small pillows, building was built in the 50’s and hasn’t been renovated since, actual tile in the bathroom, it matched the bathroom tub and walls, PEPTO pink...... refrigerator was set so cold everything we placed in it was ruined due to freezing, microwave barely cooked, was supposed have a kitchen net, nope just a fridge and micro on top both from the early 80’s / 90’s I won’t be back

The streetcar stopped right outside the front door

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

I liked the hotel but then I'm not one with their nose in the air when not everything is perfect.

Maintenance could be better, the freezer compartment door was broken off allowing excessive ice to form on the compartment. and the drip tray was full to overflowing. Otherwise everything worked. I personally like older buildings so I was not concerned that the room was dated.

The room was good sized, made the king size bed look in proportion with the space. Lots of room for the other items in the room; table, dresser, refrigerator, microwave, flat screen TV. Heat was by a gas wall furnace. The buildings floors are numbered in the European style so the 1st floor is the floor above street level. There is no elevator so if you can not climb stairs this is not for you. The street side of the room is floor to ceiling windows with insulated drapes. The trolley line runs on this street so there is some street noise but not objectionable.

• Reviewed: May 22, 2018

Good location, big city price for bare minimum
    • Standard Queen Room

We had to ask 3 times for extra blanket and pillow. Curtain was broken and wouldn’t close all the way

Like the location with easy access to beach and muni and cafes

• Reviewed: May 22, 2018

Don't stay here. But if you do, go into it with low expectations.

Nothing met my expectations: Staff unfriendly, location ordinary, noise level poor - next to tram line and could hear other tenants from both sides, and above - I slept 2 hours tops, extremely overpriced for what it was, back home I could rent a 5 star hotel for cheaper. This place is also well overdue for a facelift. Don't stay here, anything else will be better value and more comfortable.

• Reviewed: April 2, 2018

Terrible experience, I will never return nor recommend to anyone. I’d rather sleep in my car.
    • Standard Queen Room

Staff is rude and disrespectful. Sold me a room that smelled bad and had leaking pipes. Wouldn’t give me a refund or change my room. Curtains torn and blankets smelled like they weren’t cleaned.

Nothing was good about this place.

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

Late night beach party refuge
    • Standard Queen Room

It was exactly what we needed. A motel walking distance from the beach and right on the train.

We arrived late at night, ok well, 3am, and woke up the night clerk (owner?) Who guessed immediately that we had made a reservation for tomorrow night, since we had made the reservation in the taxi on the way over... Booking.com said no refunds, but the sweet night clerk refunded our money and got us into a room for the night. He made it clear that we'd have to be out by 11 before we agreed to stay. I felt a lot like I was waking up my friends dad at a nousy party...

• Reviewed: March 25, 2018

The location is what turned me onto this place.

As soon as I opened the door to the room I was creeped out by the long hallway before getting to the room itself. The closet door had a hole kicked into it. Another door inside the room was locked making me wonder what could be on the other side, (very creepy). The floor boards were uneven possibly caving in at any moment. Carpet had stains. The room was directly above a bar that was very noisy with music playing late into the night. The train that would pass by throughout the day was also noisy and shook the whole place. Overall disappointing to say the least and not worth the price.

The location is what turned me onto this place.

• Reviewed: February 12, 2018

Pictures and advertisements portraying the Motel in a good light emphatically fraudulent in scope’
    • Standard Queen Room

Broken down, dilapidated, uncared for in years property; defective/malfunctioning indoor plumbing; defective/malfunctioning wall heaters, worn, torn carpeting, wallpaper, wall paint, electrical outlets, window coverings, missing window screens; damaged doors; insect infestation; Motel rooms directly above Night Club/Bar; homeless abound immediate vacinity; secondhand tobacco smoke throughout Motel and motel rooms; proximate to rail crossings and construction sites; excessive noise 24/7! Illicit activities late at night! One of the worst motels ever experienced!

Close to the beach and UCSF medical center.

• Reviewed: November 9, 2017

The location would be nice enough, nice little neighborhood.
    • Standard Queen Room

The room was dirty and had bugs. There where bed bugs but the owner denied it. Booking.com was helpful with canceling the rest of my stay. Price is way too high for the quality. The place literally shakes every time a tram drives trough. Walls had brown fluid stains and holes that where covered up with grey duct tape. There was a refrigerator in the room but it made so much noise it was unbearable. I know this is a Motel but i thought since the price is very high it would be better. Can not recommend.

The location would be nice enough, nice little neighborhood.

• Reviewed: November 8, 2017

Noisy, shade, not clean and not recommended

Horrible rooms with scary staircases that lead to them, moldy, oils, carpet with stains, old over used towels, heat didn't work,horrible matters woke up all sore, crazy noise from outside, mainly from the cable train that is shaking the room, scary neighborhood location, doesn't feel safe at all.

• Reviewed: October 27, 2017

owner friendly and helpful.
    • Standard Queen Room

the stairs tram went past door could to get to city not so good noise at night.

owner friendly and helpful. rooms need some renovations and stairs need to be made safer.

• Reviewed: October 2, 2017

Will not go there again.
    • Standard Queen Room

The bed is heavily infested with bugs. My husband is totally covered with bites and I am more on my right side. This is a health hazard and has to be changed at once!

The location so close to the beach is very nice although the tram noise and rattling is pretty bad. Restaurants and coffee shops close by are VERY good. The basic cleanness is OK but the bug infestation of the bed is very problematic.

• Reviewed: October 2, 2017

Nearly a perfect hotel.

TV felt far from the bed and the outlets were few and didn't look like they were in the best condition.

The property was very close to the park and the beach plus a few good places to eat.

• Reviewed: September 24, 2017

Good enough
    • Standard Queen Room

A/c didn't seem to work.

It's fine, but you only get a bed for the night and it was quite expensive for just that. I guess that's the market rate here. I got a much nicer motel in Washington State for a quarter of the price here! The proprietor was very helpful and lent me a phone charger, for which I am grateful! I'd stay there again.

• Reviewed: September 16, 2017

The location is pretty good for the beach and the Golden...
    • Standard Queen Room

Totally over priced. The rooms are dated and very basic which is not a problem if they are priced accordingly. The place is so noisy, not least of all because the trams that pass outside shake the entire building when they pass. If they halved the nightly stay it would be worth it.

The location is pretty good for the beach and the Golden Gate Park and the man that checked me in seemed nice.

• Reviewed: September 7, 2017

• Standard Queen Room

the worst motel in my life )) The room was partial renovated after the gun shooting )) No air conditioner The cheep shampoo and soap The strong smell into the room Very loudly by night from the pub and trains

• Reviewed: September 5, 2017

Location is great for the beach and the Sunset area!
    • Standard Queen Room

Very dated, can be noisy

Location is great for the beach and the Sunset area! If you don't need fancy accommodation, this is fine. Big fridge a nice feature. Small car park but we were in luck. Nice breakfast cafes nearby.

• Reviewed: August 27, 2017

Very basic accommodation, but also very clean, secure, and...

The place is extremely dated, there's no getting away from it. However, this is purely aesthetic, and it's also one of the cheapest lodgings in town.

Very basic accommodation, but also very clean, secure, and well located - major public transport lines stop right outside, and two excellent cafes and Ocean Beach are just minutes down the road on foot. Staff were all very friendly and approachable.

• Reviewed: August 24, 2017

Consider Your Choice Carefully

Clearly, the owners or managers do not reinvest into their aging motel business. Routine 'quality' maintenance doesn't happen. Our room was not properly cleaned. For $200 per night, I personally could have made a better choice. But, having said the former I may stay again depending on my needs.

What we liked was the free parking; many hotels in San Francisco do not offer free parking. There were restaurants and convenience stores, a big plus for me! I choose this place because it was away from the central part of San Francisco, and away from all the tourists foot-traffic.

• Reviewed: August 16, 2017

• Standard Queen Room

It is a basic medium hotel, we didn't expect much more than we got. It is clean and comfortable and seems to be cheaper than most of the other hotels in the area.

• Reviewed: August 3, 2017

Beware the noise of the streetcar

The hotel is directly in front of where the J-Judah streetcar stops and there is tremendous noise all day long from the streetcar with any room that has a window on Judah St.

• Reviewed: July 20, 2017

The location was perfect for the activity we were attending...

The proximity to the trains made the accommodations loud and created a lot of foot traffic, of the undesirable kind. My teenage son did not feel safe at the location.

The location was perfect for the activity we were attending in Golden Gate Park.

• Reviewed: July 10, 2017

There is a bar right next to the motel.

There is a bar right next to the motel. Bus went right in front of the motel every 15_30 mibs. Super noicy up until 2am. Won't be able to sleep until then

• Reviewed: July 8, 2017

average hotel with good public transport links
    • Standard Queen Room

no information to tell you was multi floors with no lift, limited parking within tight space, a little bit of noise from trams

close to tram into San Fransisco and close to beach, short travel to lovely beaches with view of Golden Gate bridge

• Reviewed: July 4, 2017

Just above average
    • Standard Queen Room

The parking lot is very small, so if you find a place to park try to stay there, parking on the street is always a gamble. The noise coming from the bar downstairs is terrible, the bar is independent from the motel but close enough to be a problem when you want to get some rest. Don't get a room on the east side of the building

The location, it's close to the ocean, close to the park and there's some good restaurants around

• Reviewed: June 26, 2017

The view.

the windows were an endangerment to small children. Staff communication was difficult to understand. No trash can in the room only in the restroom.

The view.

• Reviewed: June 8, 2017

No sleep for beach lovers

The noise of the tram kept us awake all night. The old windows barely closed and it sounded as if the tramway was screeching through the room all night.

The room was ready, friendly staff

• Reviewed: April 4, 2017

Nice place at a good spot
    • Standard Queen Room

Although it may seem expensive, San Francisco in general is expensive, so I think you get good enough for what you pay.

I liked the location, that it had free parking and the wifi was good.

• Reviewed: February 3, 2017

was bitten by insects in bed, either bed bugs or spiders, he...
    • Standard Queen Room

was bitten by insects in bed, either bed bugs or spiders, he heating system on mid wall ,by the bed, made it very difficult to sleep, I won't go back

• Reviewed: February 3, 2017

Cheap but not worth it!
    • Standard Queen Room

It was VERY unprofessoional. The staff was unfriendly and housekeeping didn't cleaned the room well. The bed had hair and carpet was not cleaned. You can see dirt, hair, etc. The facility is Very old and needs upgrading.

I like the wifi and it's near the beach. It is also near the park. It's close to 7Eleven and laundry. But the motel should have that in there own building.

• Reviewed: December 17, 2016

I am pissed
    • Standard Queen Room

When I got there they told me that my reservation got cancelled which it didn't and then said but they have a room for 135. I feel like I was conned and I am very upset. They also told us not to book on line because it will get cancelled since I am not paying with credit card

I like the location

• Reviewed: November 4, 2016

Convenient location, pleasant stay.
    • Standard Queen Room

I was aware this is an older place, and it shows. Small hole in the blanket, things in general run down.

Everything was very clean, bed was comfortable, owners were nice - not smiley, but welcoming and accommodating.

• Reviewed: November 4, 2016

Smelly Fire Trap

The staff were abrupt and rude. The room smelled of mildew and Pinesol. There was visible mildew around the windows and the skylight in the bathroom. Only one window could be opened and it wasn't the one that led to the fire escape! This place was completely misrepresented on the website. It was a disgusting dump and a fire trap!

It was close to the ocean.

• Reviewed: October 24, 2016

Close 2 the ocean

The Motel is above a terribly loud bar & the bar patrons were incredibly noisy iutside! They played really loud electric guitar in the street after midnite & were yelling & trying 2 sing. The electric train ends there & even that breaking & rumbling noise every few minutes wasn't as bad as the bar!

Close 2 the ocean

• Reviewed: October 13, 2016

we got no rest we were on the third floor with no elevator and bad knees you can not cancel

air conditioning and the train that ran every five min. all night it was so loud and the vibration would rattle the windows!!

not any thing with our stay

• Reviewed: October 9, 2016

Never will I recommend the Beach Motel
    • Standard Queen Room

1) My room was over a bar that played loud music until 2:30am. 2) It was located on the Muni Rail Transit line street that ran all night, every 20 minutes. 3) The room was terrible with large holes in the wall, torn curtains, filthy carpeting, and no convenient electrical outlets to charge lap top/cell phone. I would have left immediately but arrived late (11:30 pm, due to flight delays) and too exhausted and unfamiliar with the area to look for another place at that hour.

• Reviewed: October 8, 2016

Basic Hotel Found Neighbours Noisy,Wouldn't Stay Again.
    • Standard Queen Room

Found the Manager very grim, quizzed my passport clearly doesn't see too many European passports.

No food eaten here but the room was very clean, fresh towels every day.

• Reviewed: October 6, 2016

Dirty and Uncomfortable Stay

No elavator to assist with transferring luggage. The room was dark, carpets were filthy, overall the room was unviting. The noise from the tram caused vibrations through the room. And prevented us from sleeping.

The room was made up the next day.

• Reviewed: September 29, 2016

We didn't sleep. We were cold.

The room smelt mouldy and s hint of gas!!??. The Windows looked out to the ocean, but they were so dirty on the outside we could hardly see it. The fridge made a rattle noise and the heater shut down and didn't work all night. You can't call the reception after 10pm so if you get cold in the night, which we did you have to apparently run down stairs and knock on someone's door to have them relight the pilot for the gas heating system. We paid cash 200 up front. We demanded to have a refund we eventually got back $75. A hotel is meant to be about sleeping. We were so cold we didn't sleep well at all.

Location was the best thing about this place.

• Reviewed: September 28, 2016

Gross
    • Standard Queen Room

Umm well asked,for a ground floor because I was on crutches but had to climb 3 flights of rickety stairs ..no AC ..no ice machine ...will give ice out of owners PERSONAL REFRIDGERATOR..rooms were GROSS

• Reviewed: September 25, 2016

It was right on a tram way & the trams shook the building every time they went past and were noisy 24 hours a day. Had trouble sleeping the first night so booked out & found another hotel. Do not rate it at all, should really mention the Tram noise in the account of the hotel.

• Reviewed: September 24, 2016

Very expensive for what it is.
    • Standard Queen Room

Scary looking place with wallpaper peeling off, a squeaky floor and a tram going over your room at night. You also have to carry your suitcases two flights of stairs up. There is no elevator.

The location was close to a team stop, but otherwise in an area of San Francisco where you don't want to be. The Internet connection was good!

• Reviewed: September 23, 2016

If you have to sleep and the only other option is the streets
    • Standard Queen Room

bed was uncomfortable, black mold in between the cracks in bathroom tile, stains on carpet, light bulb broken in lamp, no coffee, hefty walk up to third floor, all for over $170. And an hour drive to everything in the city we wanted to do. And the n-judah turnaround shaking the building every so often.

There was a place to sleep. There was a place to park. It didn't cost $500.

• Reviewed: September 20, 2016

• Standard Queen Room

No air flow in room. Thermostat seems to have only marginal effect on room. Confusing room service where towels were taken but bed not turned down by 3pm when we returned to the room. We made the bed but didn't realise about the towels until it was too late. Parking is a real issue! Admittedly this is largely due to inconsiderate guests. Overall the owners don't seem to take any pride in the place. Definitely just a place to rest your head if you can't be picky for whatever reason.

Short walk to beach and Golden Gate Park

• Reviewed: September 18, 2016

Decent stay for budget traveler
    • Standard Queen Room

Do not expect renovated rooms. But space was clean and confortable.

Decent place for San Francisco. Good place for budget traveler. We were worried about arriving late as our plane flew in after midnight. Owner had a night window so we were able to still check in which was a relief.

• Reviewed: September 3, 2016

Friendly staff.

Noise-right on Muni. While convenient, it was noisy. Above a bar, which was also noisy.

Friendly staff. Two blocks from ocean. Free parking. People we met in the neighborhood were nice.

• Reviewed: August 24, 2016

To find lodging in SF under $1500.
    • Standard Queen Room

Location, to get to any freeway requires at least a 5 mile drive. All units are on the second floor with no elevator.

To find lodging in SF under $1500.oo is rare if not impossible

Not for a disadi to sleep before 1 am and after 5 am

No lift and no first floor rooms. I had a disabled person. It was to hard to get him 22 stairs up. There was nothing about it in description. Loud noise from trams ends at 1 am and atarts at 5 am again.

Look elsewhere.

It was incredibly run down. What could be a cute or at least simple hotel has been severely neglected. The carpets were filthy, broken chair, stained fabric on chairs, gaping hole in bathroom where vent should be, dirty walls. They really have a diamond in the rough here but instead they are taking advantage of SF housing market and overcharging for substandard accommodations.

The location was good. A couple blocks from beach. There was parking which was helpful.

Absolute dump. Shame on Booking.com
    • Standard Queen Room

This is the worst place we have stayed. It is a total dump with stains everywhere, literally bugs in the bed, missing tile and exposed wiring in the bathroom.

Truly, the only thing we liked was leaving.

• Reviewed: August 15, 2016

Good Location but Limited Comfort - Use Caution

Very noisy because of public transportation (runs through the night), local bar also loud (this was during the week), and thin walls between rooms.

Great location close to the beach and public transportation.

• Reviewed: August 2, 2016

Hotel staff were friendly and very helpful in accommodating...
    • Standard Queen Room

The local area was a little rundown and the motel overlooks the metro track which is quite noisy

Hotel staff were friendly and very helpful in accommodating several unusual requests. Main bed in queen room was comfortable. Travel cot was less so. Travel into town is fairly convenient on the N line of the metro but can take a little while as the motel is at the far end of SF. Within easy walking distance of the Golden Gate Park.

• Reviewed: August 1, 2016

Good location but could use some renovations.
    • Standard Queen Room

Corner neighborhood bar below my room was loud at night. The gas heater leaked a little gas even though it was shut off. Internet was free but slow at times making hard to work over VPN.

Booked this hotel for its location by Ocean Beach in San Francisco; otherwise, consider something else if you don't need the location. Hotel was a little dumpy but suited my needs. Most rooms were window in front and not very private but I was lucky enough to get a rear room with plenty of privacy to leave the window open. Even though the building was dated, the room had nice furnishing.

• Reviewed: July 28, 2016

Very helpful owner and very friendly.
    • Standard Queen Room

Very helpful owner and very friendly. Gave advice on how to use the trams and where to eat. Very comfortable bed and good sized room. Easy tram ride to central San Francisco.

• Reviewed: July 24, 2016

be careful!!
    • Standard Queen Room

The room was not very clean. However the most disturbing part of our week long trip happened on the one night we stayed here. The ad advertised a 24 hr front desk. At about midnight we heard a knocking on our door. after the third knock, we peeked thru the curtain and saw a man who looked impaired and was drooling / foaming at the mouth. he told us he wanted to let us know he was laying outside our door! we didn't want to open the door, but were extremely uncomfortable with him being directly outside of our room by our window / door. after trying to call the front desk several times, we finally opened the door to ask him to leave or go somewhere other than right outside our room. when my sister opened the door, the mans pants were down and he was masturbating!!!!! Since we weren't able to contact anyone at the front desk, we ended up having to call the police. After the police came and left, some other people who were living there got into a huge, loud fight screaming, other residents were yelling out of their room for them to shut up. We got no sleep that night and got up the kids early the next morning and got out of there as soon as we could. I do not recommend this hotel for anyone with children, or who isn't prepared to deal with some wild / scary scenario throughout the night.

The man at the desk was helpful in advising us on which train to take to get to union station to catch the cable cars since we had never been to the city before. The location is next to the train pick up / drop off location

• Reviewed: June 13, 2018

Location was great
    • Standard Queen Room

Property needs updating. Paint peeling, rugs very worn, small bed.

Location was great

• Reviewed: May 20, 2018

Very disappointed
    • Standard Queen Room

Quality of rooms were way below standard for what we paid. Stale smell in rooms, stains on carpet & chair, & no elevator

• Reviewed: May 7, 2018

Not the best

Requested 10 am check in room was not ready. Shower temperature was poor and hard to control.

• Reviewed: April 30, 2018

The location was great

Dated and unclean

The location was great

• Reviewed: March 24, 2018

Great location, a room to sleep in
    • Standard Queen Room

Pictures out the room window are always nice before hand.

• Reviewed: March 21, 2018

Old, dirty, beach like.

The train right outside window (makes it hard to sleep)

Old, dirty, beach like. Typical west Bay Area motel

• Reviewed: March 17, 2018

Good bag for your buck. The place is run down a bit , but our room was clean( the main thing) !
    • Standard Queen Room

The train going by so often-and the rug really should have been replaced.

The rates

• Reviewed: October 12, 2017

Hardly strictly was a good job but the hotel racer price from 100 to $300 a night for it

Run down felt like you were going to fall through the floor and noisy outside

Close to the event I was attending

• Reviewed: October 5, 2017

not worth the money i paid for the rent.

The staff.

Near the beach.

• Reviewed: September 17, 2017

I would not book this motel anymore.
    • Standard Queen Room

The room was so old and dirty. The carpet was broken. No coffee machine. All those conditions, the price I paid was too high.

• Reviewed: September 11, 2017

comfortable

Loud pub below

Bed was very comfy

• Reviewed: August 20, 2017

Summer of Love Accommodations

It is age-worn and on a busy street.

The location and size of the room and included parking.

• Reviewed: July 27, 2017

real shabby but good location for beach and public transportation
    • Standard Queen Room

no ice, no coffee, no tissues, noisey, but that's true everywhere. bed was sagging,

close to beach

• Reviewed: July 21, 2017

The bar and its loud company

The bar and its loud company

• Reviewed: July 3, 2017

Very clean, team right outside

Old fashioned, not very much parking

Very clean, team right outside

• Reviewed: June 26, 2017

Blah
    • Standard Queen Room

Dirty, sketchy, not comfortable. No coffee.

It was close to the beach

• Reviewed: June 14, 2017

Property is a little old, I understand that it is that way...
    • Standard Queen Room

Property is a little old, I understand that it is that way in SF, just not very used to it

Browse Beach Motel Traveler Photo Gallery