Reviews of Beach Terrace Inn 3 stars

2775 Ocean Street, Carlsbad, CA 92008, USA

#6 of 36 hotels in Carlsbad

9.8

• Ocean View Room with Two King Beds

no elevator to the bottom floor, and its tough with luggages

Definitely very comfortable and yes the bed was like a cloud! Love the fact that we didnt have to worry about breakfast

• Ocean View Room with Two King Beds

They do not have handicap access. My mother has had hip and knee issues and we had to go down three flights of stairs.

The view from the room was amazing.

• King Room with Ocean View

The room was not that clean, I actually scrubbed down the bathroom sink area when we arrived. Checked in in late, so there was plenty of time (I will always wait for a clean room). The room seemed a little tired, but there are 3 wings to this hotel. I was in the wing closest to the water. Each wing seemed to be built at a different time. Other rooms looked more updated. Super noisy fan in the bath and hard to open sliding glass door.

The location is excellent. The beach looks like a post card and you are right there (see photos - taken 30 feet from our room). Surfers to watch every day. Downtown Carlsbad is 1 block away. The free breakfast is actually pretty good. Lots of choices. All store-bought items (Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits and such). Staff is very accommodating and free parking! Hint, there is ample covered parking right next to the main lot, just go to the very next entrance beyond the obvious. Nice to have when it gets very hot.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room was dusty . Hangers was full of dust , the room was dusty . I didn’t like the smell of the room . Room needs to be remodeled . Replace new carpets

Friendly service

• Standard King Room

It took night staffer a while to tone down some late night rowdy guests, but they did get things under control.

Breakfasts were good. Pool and seating areas are very nice. Great beach for walks. Without being asked the staff reduced our bill by $40 because they couldn't give us a room until 40 minutes after the stated checking time. Easy walk to village.

• Ocean View Room with Two King Beds

Yes there is construction going on. However you do not notice the noise with a ocean front room as all you can hear is the ocean. Great stay. The staff were fantastic.

• King Room with Ocean View

They did not warn us ahead of time that there would be extensive renovations happening during our stay. And there was not any discount offered, even through said renovations and the fact that it was off season. The breakfast was not good at all, and we ended up having to go out to eat for that meal after the first day. This time it was not a good value whatsoever, and we have cancelled our upcoming stays because of it.

You cannot beat the location, and typically this is one of my favorite properties to stay at when I am in the area. The beach is beautiful, and the Carlsbad is a fun lively location.

A little pricey!

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful! Room was clean and comfortable! The view was gorgeous! The pool was relaxing! Beach access was very easy and accommodating! Would love to come here annually!

• Ocean View Room with Two King Beds

The stairs. But I have a bad back and knees. The staff was awesome about helping get my stuff down the stairs and they called to talk to me about it before hand, so I was prepared wjen I got there. Even this is not a megative statement.

Beautiful, peaceful. I needed to get away from work and just being able to sit quietly on the balcony listening to and watching the waves. I never left the balcony and ordered food in. It was the most relaxing thing I have ever done. The staff was great and very helpful with my mother and I. Definately worth the money to stay here. The rooms are large and comfortable, clean, and I had an ocean view that was out of this world! I will definately go back over and over.

• King Room with Ocean View

Breakfast was a bit too "continental".. there was no protein like eggs or meat, and many of the options were pretty high in sugar content. The coffee and breakfast staff on the other hand, were 5 star!

This place was amazing. From the moment we walked in the door, until the second of departure, we felt like royalty. It was so amazing, that I booked another week in June!

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Breakfast but I guess they are remodeling the kitchen. However you dont need a kitchen for more fruit since everything was processed. And coffee cups and milk are TINY.

Best place ever. We drove from AZ (5 hours) so its wonderful we can walk to all shopping and restuarants and of course the beach!!! We didnt use our car once for 4 days!! Staff is wonderful. Pool boys set up lounge chairs and umbrellas for you on the beach. We have stayed here quite a few times.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Unfortunately, weather wasn't great during our visit but the Beach Terrace Inn did a fantastic job accommodating.

Online pictures do not do this property justice. It's a hidden gem!

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Priced a little high. There was always muck heading from the wash off to the entrance of the beach that you had to wade through. The pool/beach staff seemed put out when we asked for simple items of chairs and umbrellas. They were basically no where to be found and we had to track them down when we wanted to go to the beach. Our room was ready no more than check out time. Normally I am a Hotel del visitor and for the same price I was a little disappointed.

The rooms were awesome. The location was awesome.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

it would have been nice to have a cafe on sight but there were plenty of places to walk to and afterall I was paying for the beach location.

beds were comfortable. bathroom was roomy. rooms were clean. location was perfect for getting to the beach everyday with my son. the pool and hot tub was perfect for my son. location to the village was walking distance. we walked all around town.

• Pool View Room with Two King Beds

Wish they had more handicap parking spots.

Housekeeping,pool gentlemen,an the breakfast ladys were VERY helpful, Sweet,Kind ALL the time!! Even after they had been working all day in the hot.. Our room was very clean, a had a Beautiful view!!

• Room Selected at Check-In

No room service ice machine on our side was not working and the continental breafast sucked. The fruit was old no fresh cut fruit nor toaster the had jelly and peanut butter but nothing to spread it on. For $400 a night that should be expected

• Standard King Room

Front desk could be a bit friendlier. Lots of stairs.

Ocean front. Clean. Beautiful decor. Great light breakfast. Amazing view. Walking distance to local food and shopping. I have stayed several times and really enjoy this place. Staff super helpful. Chairs, umbrellas and sand stuff available. Just bring your swim suit. pool and spa.have beautiful view of the ocean.

• Standard King Room

Air conditioner unit really loud, did not have to use much since temperatures were cool most of stay.

We had a partial view of the ocean and thought that would be a problem but the location was perfect and very private.

• Standard King Room

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Property was kind of old but clean. Carpet had a smell-need to be changed or removed better off. Vending machine was always out of bottled water :) and did not work properly. Be prepared to loose a few quarters every time you try to buy a drink. Overall though it was nice. I would go there again. Location was ideal.

• King Room with Ocean View

I would say that some of the beach equipment(umbrellas) were getting a little worn. Would have been nice to have room cleaned before noon so children could nap.

Staff were very friendly. Location and amenities were great-so handy to have everything acailable for beach and pool. Unfortunately the pool was not heated for our visit.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The parking was easy. Being on the beach, listening to the waves crash the shore at night was a delight. The kids got to boogie board for the first time which was a hoot to see. Staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

I thought the room could have been a little cleaner especially in the corners of the carpet and near the table between the beds However you can't beat the view!

I liked the customer service. We had a medical emergency and my sister was taken to hospital I checked out early to be closer to her at Scrips Hospital in Encinitas. Your staff was kind and professional

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Room Selected at Check-In

There was only one odd thing. During a visit to the front desk, while having our room keys, re-keyed, the gentleman at the front desk kept touching his crotch area. I have no idea if this is a normal thing or was just a one time issue, but it was not only distracting, but after the 5th time, it was just weird and gross. This was the only little negative thing we could say about our stay, otherwise, the property and everything else was great!

The location, lobby, breakfast lounge and room were all fantastic! The gal that checked us in provided us with a lot of information on the hotel and the area and the two women that work in the breakfast lounge were very nice and very attentive! We also had in room spa services and they were equally as wonderful.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Room Selected at Check-In

Initial room was noisy (people above). Cell phone coverage is very weak or unavailable (maybe not a bad point actually!)

Location on the beach and near Carlsbad Village (great view after room was upgraded for 40 USD on site)

• Room Selected at Check-In

Everything about this facility was amazing. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to stay in the Carlsbad area.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• King Room with Ocean View

When I went to use the white cotton robe that was provided, it was soiled on the inside -- Very disgusting and disturbing! The only response from the front desk was "sorry."

I wanted a room on the beach, and that's exactly what I got. I had a balcony with a beautiful view overlooking the ocean. The sunset was amazing!

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were TERRIBLE! No heater in bathroom, no heat that I could find anywhere in the room.. I was there during a cold snap - had to keep my coat on inside! No extra blankets in room.. they did have an extra fan😕. Body wash, Kleenex, tea/coffee not available first evening, and then not refilled next day until I went back to front desk to ask. The beds are really unacceptable for a hotel costing this much. 'Free breakfast' is comparable to low/mid level hotels... cold cereal/toast/juice.

Location was great, employees very nice

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pet friendly would have been nice.

Staff were very friendly. Continental breakfast items were fresh. Location and view was amazing. Room decor was very nice.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Toilet ran all night, seemed it could be cleaner, took forever to figure out the TV

Location was beautiful & staff were very kind. Loved being able to borrow beach stuff!

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Stay here only if you pay for rooms overlooking the ocean. The courtyard rooms are no better than a regular motel.

Location is great, right on the beach. Breakfast was included, good choice of bread and pastries.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Standard King Room

The location to downtown/restaurants was fantastic. We walked everywhere. Huge bathroom. Comfy bed. Pool right on the beach. Easy parking. Quaint...not a large hotel. Perfect for a relaxing and simple time.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

A microwave in all rooms. A little more information friendly Web site.

Excellent view and very friendly beach staff. Great that they are located central and can walk to everything. Great waves and clean beach!

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Next time I'd like a room with a view

Best location in Carlsbad, right on the beach, the staff was so nice and helpful, and the room was so clean and beautiful, if I could afford it I would have stayed longer!

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The other guest but that can't be control

The bed was like sleeping on a cloud love it and the breakfast was great. Love parking and able to be there before and after check in and check out

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

The view of the ocean is compromised in some rooms.

Location - proximity to the beach is superb. Breakfast area was perfect - great views to start the day. The pool facility was excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful.

• Room Selected at Check-In

It is a little pricey, but I get it. The location is killer. Also, I'm a smoker and was not allowed to smoke on the property at all. I had to walk across the street and stand next the trash can like a bum. Again, I get it. California is annoying like that, but for the cost, a little disappointing.

The room was nice and the hotel is literally right on the beach with full access 24/7. Also, the pool and hot tub area that overlooks the ocean is amazing. Plus there's plenty of restaurants and stores within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

We loved EVERYTHING!

This property was perfect in every way! The location is right on the beach and our room had a balcony with partial ocean view. The furnishings were like new and very upscale. Continental breakfast was top notch. Complimentary beach toys, chairs and umbrellas. Staff was helpful. Friendly, courteous and professional. We would love to return !

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Wish I lived here.

Location is phenomenal. Private entrance to the beach is amazing. The pool area over looks the beach so sunsets can be seen from the comfort of a patio lounge sofa. Super kid friendly! Boogie boards, sand toys, beach chairs and umbrella can be checked out at no cost. The staff are attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly. The attention to cleaning and maintaining the facility is impressive. 5 minute walk to restraunts, ice cream, coffee and local shops.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Having raised four children of my own three of which were boys I understand, completely understand rambunctious children however their parents were clueless it sounded like they were holding gymnastics class. Thankfully we did not spend much time in the room but would have liked to have slept past 8 o'clock while on vacation . Their children were throwing things off the balcony and the parents were around just never bother to correct their behavior. These are the type of people that need to rent a house. Request top floor.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Ocean View Room with Two King Beds

If I had to pick anything it was that the wifi was bad. Not a big deal but I also had very bad cell reception.

All the staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating. Rooms were clean and you can't beat the view. The beach access is unbeatable and it was nice to jump in the pool to cool down. Very kids friendly. I have a 5 yr old and 2 he old and they had a blast.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

I would recommend a top floor room to avoid noise from upstairs lodgers walking around.

Wonderful location on the beach. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Room Selected at Check-In

Room was not ocean front or ocean view as described by booking.com. Resort told us they are not responsible for content and descriptions used by booking.com. Resort basically told us they hear this alot from people using booking.com and sorry but too bad. Our room and balcony view was the roof of the ocean front building.

The breakfast was very good and Danielle was very nice and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were so small. Next time we are booking king. Also, I don't understand why beach hotels have carpet?

Staff were so helpful and generally nice. Location is beyond perfect. Loved the help with the chairs and umbrellas at the beach.

Location! Pool, clean rooms, Carlsbad atmosphere

The staff was excellent.

• Standard King Room

The room above us had a child that would start running at 6 am non stop and woke us up every morning. Very annoying

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room very dark and smelled very strong Breakfast buffet was poor

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

It's right on the beach.

• Standard King Room

The comforters on the bed are too hot for this time of the year. The shade stands by the pool need to be adjustable.

No microwave

• Pool View Room with Two King Beds

• Ocean View Room with Two King Beds

Breakfast was pretty much all packaged and nothing fresh

Incredible location and nice lobby and patio and pool area

• Standard King Room

Charged extra $40/each for 2 rollaway beds for my grandchildren. Excessive!

Comfy bed, sheets, pillows. Lovely view of pool & ocean.

• Room Selected at Check-In

We loved it we we can't wait to come back and spend more time.

• Room Selected at Check-In

Too much chlorine in spa in the evening

Large beautiful room with spectacular view very comfotable bed pool was great

La playa

• King Room with Ocean View

No elevator. Couldn't manage the steep stairs with luggage but help is available.

It is literally right on the beach and close to the Village.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It was great that they had boogie boards and beach toys for the kids! The hotel also provided umbrellas and beach chairs.

• Ocean View Room with Two King Beds

Great pillows. Great ocean view.

room, too dark

Expensive

The pillows.

Great location. Easy beach access. Everything you need in a beach trip.

• King Room with Ocean View

We had problems with our electrics. Don't know why. They are working fine now. Excellent

The room was wonderful. Spacious, clean, comfortable.

• Ocean View Room with Two King Beds

No eggs and bacon on breakfast.

Room

no elevator.

Can walk everywhere. Pool is nice.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

you all got it nailed!!!

felt welcome and had the energy of the surf all around

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast could of been better. At least boil some eggs and leave them on ice.

Beds were comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Having a good continental breakfast overlooking the ocean.

everything was great

great view of the ocean and good location to down town, lots of places to walk

• Room Selected at Check-In

Due to my courtyard view room, it was a dark room. One window. Not much light.

Location location location. Beach access was steps from my room!

The staff was great! The hotel's location was the best ever! I will definitely stay here again every summer.

Ocean front

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Older building and terraced (as name says). Lots of stairs depending on room.

Location! Beach and complimentary breakfast, parking and wifi

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Cost

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Fantastic property, but pretty pricey.

Browse Beach Terrace Inn traveller photo gallery