Reviews of Surf City Inn & Suites 2 stars

619 Riverside Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA

#54 of 58 hotels in Santa Cruz

5.7

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

More parking spaces door to our room not secure no latch and frame of door too big space between do it and frame.

Double rooms great frig. Friendly staff and close to boardwalk

• King Studio

The door to our room wasn't secure no latch,shaky & fitting around door too big. Prefer outdoor pool, indoor was too hot. More parking spaces

two rooms and great frig and microwave.

• Superior Queen Room with Sofa

Blinds didn’t close properly so I had to put couch pillows in window for privacy and to block sun and lights. The floors were filthy. I ended up mopping it myself. No closet. No sanitary bags in ice bucket. No blow dryer.

Close to the boardwalk. Beds were comfortable

Floors were grimy they look clean and thank God there lemon instead of carpet but they needed to be damp mopped to just dust them and they were covered with fine dirt and so you had to leave your shoes on

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Just didn't like how there was easy access for people not staying there like homeless people to just walk on the property during the night time I'm a smoker so I understand hotels have designated areas but theirs just didn't feel very safe for that reason

Other then that the stay was great the staff were all very friendly and accommodating breakfast was cool to love the waffle maker wish it would of lasted till 10am though but great

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

There was no mention at the time of booking reservation that there will be a refundable $100 security deposit at check in. Room location was very bad.

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The carpets are stained and old. The paint in the bathroom is peeling off. For the price it costs to spend a night the rooms should be well taken care off and well maintained.

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The breakfast was horrible. The breakfast room is crowded and the food was white bread and some old mini cinnamon rolls. The waffles were eh and there were no fruit options. The orange juice was cut with water. It's not hard to add some bagels and decent cereal and OJ.

Great location to the boardwalk for the price.

When you sign on you cant. Cancal. No big deal but when you get there they grab your card like they are cheaking your I D and run it for another hundred dolkars and then say its a deposit you may get it bsck 3 to 10 days ???? What tjey heck??? The walls were dirty broken tile in bath floor no curtins sun vomes right on to ypur bed in morning. Needs work!!! Peaple at desk are not plesent called vops on kids that didnt bring credit card for surprise deposit . That was mean and didnt let them stay either.😘😘😘. There in snack room for breakfast. Wow....

They are remodling...they sre trying lol

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

No place to hang clothes, did not make up the room after making a request and being out a couple of times. Front desk says they clean up the rooms for people remaining in their rooms after they clean all the ones that have vacated. When approached upon returning for an extended period, our room still wasn’t freshened up and we were told the cleaning staff was gone and not reachable. After dinner and a movie, we returned to find our clean cleaned. Area is a bit run down.

Near the Boardwalk and old downtown. They are remodeling the entrance area.

• Superior Queen Room with Sofa

The owner was sooo nice. On my special request he gave me some extra time to park my car after check out, with no extra charge. That is really appreciated. Thanks

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The bed in r first room moved around because it was on wheels on a wooden floor. The second room was way better

The pool and spa are the best things about this place

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Staff was extremely difficult - made check in a huge hassle because credit card made to reserve did not belong to person checking in. Would not change name to match person and card checking in. Ridiculously difficult!

The beds bordered on un-sleep-able. there was an "odor" in the room, the door to the room did not seal all the way, no place to hang garments, several of the lightbulbs in the room were out.

About the only thing good was the location

I appreciated the fact that they let us check in earlier than the check in time. They also made sure I had a downstairs room as I requested when making the reservations.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Construction workers constantly making a lot of noise right in front of our room. After a long day of travel we just wanted to nap some time, which was impossible.

The location was really good. Sant Cruz main beach is in walking distance easily.

Bright white light shines through window, no curtains, no way to block it out...bring duck tape and an extra blanket if you want to sleep. Towels as well... theirs are yikes...

The staff was great. Very friendly and accommodating.

See above “ what did you like section “ As I already wrote the horrible horrible stay! Never use BOOKING.com ever! This Hotel was such a burn! And I still have not gotten a receipt! From either company

We rented a 2 king size bed room for 2 adults and 2 children. It only had 3 pillows. We asked for another pillow and they said no because we didn’t “Request” xtra pillows. We explained in lame mans terms! Ther is 4 of us and 3 pillows. They still refused! I was pissed! Needless to say Mom slept with towels rolled up and my Husband and 2 kids had pillows! Sketchy people smoking weed outside that came in our room thru the ac all night long ! It’s was a horrible horrible horrible stay. Oh yeah, We couldn’t refund it to leave bc they said Booking.com already charge my card and they can not give you a receipt bc they said you have to get it from Booking.com! I have yet to get a receipt for my horrible stay from anyone!

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Only problem was I was placed in a room near construction. You would’ve thought sleeping after 8am would be a privilege. I woken up at 7:30a by construction and woken at 4:30a by the upstairs neighbors blasting they’re tv I could hear the news presenting.

I enjoyed the room, the breakfast, surprisingly the coffee was great and the owner/staff was amazing. I simply requested salt that they did not have at the food counter and was provided salt from the owner. They’re great here. And to top it all off boardwalk is right down the street and multiple liquor stores located at each corner. I’ll

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

The breakfast selection was limited. We arrived late on a Saturday night and there were guests having a party, it was very loud and my kids were frightened. This was not the Hotel's fault and they did everything they could.

The staff were very accommodating. We were in one of the older rooms and requested to be moved to a more updated room and they were very accommodating

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Carpet was demolished. Dresser missing a drawer. I stay here frequently enough. I know you are remodeling. This one hasn't gotten it yet. No big deal.

Clean bathroom, sufficient towels. Clean linens. Swimming pool and hot tub are awesome. Nice to have. Plenty of parking. Location is great.

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The room was not clean, the floors were dirty and the room smelled like smoke. The towels didn’t seem fresh and the walls were dirty. No screen in the window, lots of noise outside.

The pool and hot tub were the only nice thing

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Other people parked in front of our door, the room smelled weird, like it has something nasty in it before but they covered it with cleaning products. The door stopper was broke so I felt a little unsafe.

• King Studio

they tried to steel my money, didn't have the room i paid for, the door rattled all day and night, the room was old

that was the worse breakfast at any hotel that does breakfast

• Superior Queen Room with Sofa

First check in the power surged in the room and lights and tv kept going off office staff said it was property wide but got moved to a different room and power worked ok

Close to the attractions

Dirty bedding and comforters, they were stained and the comforters were unwashed. The lights in the room and bathroom kept flickering. The carpet was dirty and old. The furniture is in dire neeed of an upgrade. The blinds did not even block out the light from the outside.

The bathroom was renovated and clean.

I wish they had a hair dryer and an iron. Since we were traveling our clothes didn’t look good after couple days inside of our luggage.

The location is awesome, love the swimming pool and the hotub. The room was super clean and nice.

Asked for an extra couple pillows and the lady got mad at my husband and Told him we don’t have extras of nothing that that was very rude

Property was pretty clean

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

This property did not accommodate any of my requests for a ground level room, a ground level room near the pool or extra towels... I was hoping they would at least accommodate me with a ground level room since I had injured my knee and the site does not have an elevator. The carpet in the rooms [two bedroom suite] were filthy especially for advertising newly renovated. Checking in was horrible other guests were upset as well because just as I had done, they too called the site prior to check-in to make sure the site would accommodate their requests and received a verbal yes but no accommodations were met. The staff was very unorganized and had no idea of the empty promises that were made.

The bathroom was renovated nicely.

The coffee and the breakfast could have been better.

The rooms need to be cleaned a little bit more there were no extra towels when requested the tile was falling off the bathroom wall the towels were stained And the pool needed to be cleaned Trash all over the parking lot It was enough breakfast come to check out And the coffee wasn't that good It was watery.

• Superior Queen Room with Sofa

They can improve the breakfast,also they should put fence around the hotel ,so you don't get people trying to open you door with a knife at night thank God for locks inside room . The staff can be a little more friendly. Also improve the linen and towels if they are stain and old throw them away.

I liked that the boardwalk was really close to it.my stay was ok beds are nice to sleep on .pool nice indoor and jacuzzi ,parking great .

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The pool had children unattended by adults and owners never check on what was going on spa was foamy due to chemicals imbalance they are working on the fence but homeless coming around

We had room close to pool and was comfortable

A little pricey for pets, $30 per night. It's in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood.

Clean rooms, indoor heated pool and spa. Friendly staff. Huge bathroom 😁. We stay here every time we come here. It's a great value for what you get.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Rooms were large but blind was broken and filthy. Mold in bathroom ..stains in sink. Locks on door were broken..just not well maintained☹

Bed was clean and comfortable

Bed was noisy and creaking when you move. Only two of the 6 drawers had knobs to open them. The stairs were dangerous going up or down. The food was simple but there were homeless that just walked in and fed themselves and made a mess because there was no one at the front desk monitoring.

The husband and wife staff were pleasant. Close proximity to the beach.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Room cleanliness is poor, and had to ask for fresh towels all three days we stayed there. Room not ready at 4:00 PM when we tried to check in. "Breakfast Included" is a joke. Very little is offered, and, at 8:30 am there few food choices, there was no coffee left in the three warmer pots and no small cinnamon rolls. Breakfast is supposed to run from 6 to 9. Mothers with small children had heaping helpings of the rolls. Hotel staff is challenged when trying to communicate in English.

Location and fairly reasonable price.

The front desk staff was very rude and inconsiderate

Staff seemed very annoyed and rude it was a Hassel to get our room key not to mention we we're standing outside at 2 am in the cold .

What I didn't like had absolutely nothing to do with the motel it's self. We had people in the room next to us who were banging on the wall, slamming their door, cussing up a storm at the staff, and giving the staff a hard time for at least 2 hours after 10pm to the point of the motel having to call the cops to make them settle down one night. I also would suggest putting out some sort of fruit with breakfast but that is just a suggestion.

I really enjoyed our stay. The staff was super nice to me and my family. Our room was clean and the cleaning lady was also super friendly as well. The pool was a great temperature. The staff even let us have a room that had a separate bedroom to put my 1 and 3 year old in when we played for just a regular double bed room. We have a big dog and my husband was worried about potty space for him but if you go right behind the motel there is a little park that was perfect for walking him.

This hotel let's anyone stay here. The people next to my room were getting high I'm the parking lot and stayed up all night playing loud music and the manager never came out and I know they heard it.

Indoor pool

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Booking.com should not advertise that a room has a king and a queen bed when it doesn't. We had this happen before and booked the room based on the bed sizes. I think we should get our money back based on all of the problems.

We were awakened at 1 AM by gunfire right in front of our door. A man was shot in a gang-related shooting. It was frightening. The room was also not as advertised on Booking. com. --no king bed!! This has happened before with your site!

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Very loud and people hanging around in the parking lot till after midnight. Can't call what they put out in the morning, breakfast. Oh, the tv didn't work but didn't matter. We left as soon as we got up from the noise.

Only liked that we got a room on very short notice due to other accomodations not coming through. Very loud and people hanging around in the parking lot. Breakfast was minimal.

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed terrible. Suite tiny. Breakfast dirty and not much there. Dirty bathroom. No safety bars. No hot water in bathroom sink.

Kids liked indoor pool. Walk to beach.

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Among other issues, staff was most unprofessional and non responsive. Our room's TV did not work. I called the front desk to advise from my cell as there was no phone in our room. 20 minutes later, staff arrived, inspected, and noted that the cable box had been removed. Staff then proceeded to ask my son if he had seen it. Really ... my son was holding he remote. After assurances that we had not seen, nor taken the box, staff said he'd return with another. 30 mins later, I went to the office to follow up (staff had not returned). After waiting in line behind other newly arrived guests for another 15 mins, the same staff received me as if I was just checking in. Really. Reminded him of our situation and we were ultimately issued a new room ... which was cleaner, newer furniture & fixtures, and a working TV.

Nothing. Arrived very tired and decided it was too late to find another hotel for the night.

• Superior Queen Room with Sofa

My room not available as I reserved. I was over charged and a man was shot dead in the parking lot. Could not sleep and I couldn’t check out early. They said I reserved 2 days so I will be charged 2 days. Worst time ever!!!!!!

Close to beach

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

The room was filthy, musty smelling, and although the property said it was remodeled, it clearly had not been completed for the room we were in.

Disclosure that this area is unsafe and gang territory, would be helpful to know. There was a shooting inside the motel during our stay.

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The staff was extremely rude, especially the manager. They were aggressive and disrespectful. They gave you no time of day and there was no communication between them.

The location and the room was very lovely

They did not have curtains, the hall light is on all night, very hard to sleep. When mentioning the issue to them 4 separate times they said "we'll see if there is something we can do", and then we never heard back from them about the issue each time, and were finally told "we cant do anything about it". Employees dont seem like they care if we stayed there or not, and were more interested in talking to each other than checking us in quickly and would talk to each other while we were on the phone with them or in front of them.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

First the carpet was wet people where running down the hall.. people where trying to open up our door couldn't sleep with the noise it's was just bad experience sorry I would book there again👎🏻

The only thing I liked about the place is the bed size and clean..

• King Studio

The towels were stained. There was sand in the bed and all over the floor (we did not go to the beach the first day). The walls looked really dirty. The floors were paper thin. It sounded like Elephants were running around above us until 1am. No phone in room to call front desk. Up all night because of loud guests and then woke up by the construction of the hotel at 8am.

The pool and hot tub

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Dirty, poor lighting, uncomfortable beds, no mirrors. We where given 2 keys to two different rooms and both rooms where occupied. We walked right in and distrubed the poor people.

Staff was really rude, the room was nasty. Check in time was at 3pm we arrived at 6pm, our shower was broken then we had to wait for 45mins to get a room that wasn't clean. Staff was rude.

The Pool

• King Studio

I didn't like that there was construction going on in the room at 8am next to me and above me. 3 out of the five night's I stayed. The fridge wasn't working properly and didn't keep things cool. I had to keep filling my ice chest with ice, thank goodness my room was close to the ice machine.

I loved the location and easy access to my room. Especially the fact it was pet friendly with good spots to walk my dog. The pool was nice to during the week days. Definitely made my birthday a fun one.

• King Studio

The staff was horrible. We didn’t have a remote for the tv and they never gave us one. Also we went to the pool in the morning and when we got back to the room we had been locked out. We had to go down to the office and they said they would extend it. However check out time is 11 and we should have not been locked out at 10:30. Also the hall light outside the room is so bright which made it hard to sleep.

I liked that there was an indoor pool and hot tub.

No tv in second room. That would have been perfect. No chair for desk.

Room was updated and clean bathroom was a nice size. Housekeeping gave us extra towels and pillows!😊

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Dirty and wet floor Large amount of dead bugs in the bathroom vent Itching all over after spending a few hours in the bed Huge scratch marks on doors and walls Non-service minded staff Paper thin walls and front door Noisy As expensive as the nice hotel across the street Breakfast ends a lot earlier than usual Largest deposit I've encountered on the west coast (100$)

Coffee was ok

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

The so called Continental breakfast was quite sparse to say the least. Two dry cereals to choose from and sliced bred...just sliced bred..margerine and half empty jar of crunchy peanut butter. Coffee as well.

Liked the size of the room..a single king bed..

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

charging me $100 deposit when I checked in and telling me it would take up to 10 days to get my refund. This was the first time a motel ever charged me up front.

SPA AND POOL

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Breakfast was cereal with no milk and waffles. The room door didn't fit the jamb so it left a huge gap, the blinds didn't fit the windows, the furniture was obviously scrounged from someplace else and holes in the top. There was no in-room coffee, no hair dryer, no extra blankets, the blankets that were there were cigarette burned. It was clean - the staff were friendly. Unfortunately clean and friendly staff won't make me stay in a place with paint scraped off the walls and door handles put on backwards so I had to ask how to even open my door!

It was clean - the staff were friendly.

• Superior Queen Room with Sofa

Everything! It was the second nastiest hotel I’ve ever stayed in and it was almost $400 for one night. The pool was super packed with a bunch of people I’m sure were not guests. I had to park on the street because the hotel staff was taking up 3 of the parking spots. The floors were cracked in the bathroom and there were giant holes in the walls.

The location was semi close to the boardwalk

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The staff was very rude and not helpful at all the continental breakfast was not stocked at and no staff to help. There were cops in and out they even took someone away in the car. People above us were fighting cussing loud all night. Very uncomfortable stay will not go back

The indoor spa and pool that’s it.

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

- there was a hole in the bedroom door - many of the walls were dirty; needed to be repainted - the pillows were flat - the breakfast was lousy - no fruit, no tea, only regular coffee, no pastries just waffle mix and plain bread - the decor (bedding and furniture) in the room was from 1989; an office chair was in the room although there was no office - the arm chair had stains on it - check out was at 11 and room service came by at 11.04 to make sure we knew it was time to go

- the location is brilliant. Boardwalk is a few blocks away - on site parking - great pool area - the brother of the owner is super friendly and funny - tv cable works great - room had a heater that worked great - the price was great

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Their Breakfast! There was barely any food just cereal, they had a waffle maker but no mix. It was super messing, no bowls for cereal, no juice or milk. It was very disappointing because I booked them because of the continental breakfast. Also when booking it said the rooms had a hair dryer, so I didn't take my from home. We're from out of town, I asked front desk but never got one.

The room was big & comfortable for my family. The location from the Boardwalk & beach was awesome.

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

The staff was friendly but there was only one person working... So checkout was about 10 minutes because he had to literally run back to my room to check it before I was refunded my deposit. The door handle needs repair, we had to unlock, lift up, pull it towards you then push it in to open the door..lol. and there wasn't a t.v. in the second room.

I expected two queen beds in one room but this one had a whole separate bedroom for the second bed!! Nice!!

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Horrible! First of all when i arrived, my atm card wouldnt go through, (works everywhere else) so i had to drive to atm, pull money out for a fee of course, Went to spa, wasnt allowed to drink water in spa or surrounding area, and since they have cameras in office, employee came and advised us, stop drinking water , else we have to leave premises. Black mold in bathroom, advertised as having breakfast in morning, stale bread, few boxes of cereal, broken waffle maker, is not breakfast! They advise room as being a suite, its nothing but room, with a sofa in it! I wouldnt rate this place 1 star! Dont waste your money here!

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

Breakfast was supposed to be from 6am to 9 am and the office was not opened until 845 and the food was put out at that time. Clothes were hanging on the outside balcony rails drying noisy people at the far end drinking. Unfinished repairs in room on the walls. Office staff was rude.

Everything else. The customer service was non existent . We did come to breakfast a few minutes before it was supposed to end . However, they were still putting breakfast items out . After the 2nd try, we realized the waffle maker was not working properly and asked for assistance . The staff commented with “ Breakfast is over at 9am.” First of all , it’s only 9:06am . Secondly , we had already been sitting here trying to get it to work for over 15 minutes. Lastly , the checking out process was eye opening . We observed three other couples checking out, all giving some form of a complaint or trying to understand the hotel policies and the staff was very condescending and unbothered. The level of professionalism was low. I will not be staying here again.

Location was great. We were able to walk everywhere

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Little things. No shower curtain so water got all over the bathroom floor. The lock on hotel door was questionable. But For the most part, it seemed like a clean room.

Good price, good location, good lighting in parking lot, friendly staff.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Everything else, bed and pillows were uncomfortable, bathroom was dirty, room floor was dirty, front door was missing the secondary lock latch, oh and can’t forget the used q-tip and random bottle of perfume that were under the mattress.

Close to the Catalyst

• King Studio

Staff, $100 deposit that is charged immediately, but they are too lazy to credit claiming they need several days to process, damaged room has token repairs, neighborhood has large homeless group and police presence, parking lot overflows and challenging getting in and out.

They advertised a hair dryer and coffee maker in every room. We didn't have either. We had to unplug things to plug other things in. Plate in microwave wasn't the right one,didn't fit.

Close to the boardwalk, and the pier. Loved the hot tub.

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Everything, bad part of town, hotel room carpet stained and dirty. Walls stained and dirty. Paint on doors peeling off. Smelled of smoke even though property states non smoking. Door took two people to open then door would not lock. Didn't feel safe at hotel. Staff didn't speak English well and unfriendly. Never never stay there.

The sheets were washed and bed was some what comfortable.

door did not have locker. I could hear noses from outside and other guests.

I liked the recommendation from staff for the restaurant. I had he best burger.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Poop stain on the bathroom floor. Mold in the tub/shower. Mattress was dirty and the wrong size for the box spring. Bed linens and towels were visibly dirty. Privacy lock on the door was broken. Unpached holes in the room walls.

Walking distance to downtown, the Boardwalk and good hotels.

• Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suite

There was a $100 deposit I was unaware of and you had to pay an additional $35 per night for pets which is not listed in the pricing until the day of. Just noted as pet friendly. Overall good stay

Friendly staff and a lot of parking. Great location close to the boardwalk.

Read above.

The room was ok but there was some small problems paint pilling in bathroom also you could not us the outlet in the bathroom. Other wise it was ok. The staff was friendly and the room was ok. It is close to the boardwalk and you can walk there from the room. Over all for the money you get a place to rest your head not a place to go if you like more fancy rooms.