Reviews of Beacon Inn 1087 2 stars

1087 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02446, USA

#8 of 13 hotels in Brookline

Based on 213 B&B reviews

Staff was unprofessional in a way that they charged my credit card twice. I had to ask for a refund.

The inn was next to major road, so it was noisy. The bathroom was tiny. No elevator so we had carry our luggage up. Luckily our room was on the second floor.

The room has ample space. The King size bed is comfy.

I would return to The Beacon Inn based on a professional staff, great location and comfy beds!
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

Only thing I didn't like was that I had to leave so early the next morning to catch my connecting flight back home.

Very helpful and professional staff. Excellent location from Logan airport in historic part of Boston, just blocks away from Fenway Park in a beautiful neighborhood. I enjoyed the super comfy beds and the charm of the old stairway leading up to my room. Vlot (hope I spelled your name right), the receptionist, was very thorough with my needs for food, an atm, and more importantly a taxi ride to the airport sunday morning. I highly recommend staying at The Beacon Inn and call ahead if you need a taxi, ask for Phil's car service. Phil has great personality and enjoyable character.

Comfortable large room and beds, good location.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

No real space for breakfast: looks like most guests take the food to their rooms, and with the stairs it's a little tricky. The shower space very narrow. despite the shades, light gets into the room.

Comfortable large room and beds, good location. Good breakfast-- I was especially happy with the coffee (which is available the whole day, as well as milk and juice in the small fridge).

Fine, close to Coolidge Corner and the T.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The upgrades/repairs were sloppy or cheap, lack of attention to detail. No cups in bathroom. But I would stay there again.

The vintage look and feel.

The staff persons were friendly and helpful and we may consider staying here again.

The bathroom shower was not clean (there were hairs from the previous occupants), so we ended up not using it. It would have been nice if the room had a sitting area with chairs and a table because the room had ample room for a sitting area. When I went down for breakfast, there were no cups available, and I was disappointed that the only choice of tea were Lipton teabags. It is surprising that the bathroom has a 1970's style sink when it most of the other details were more appropriate to the late 19th century period of architecture.

The architecture and architectural details of the building, situated in one of the most attractive neighborhoods of Brookline made our stay very enjoyable.

I was going in because I had surgery the next day....they did everything to make me comfortable....
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

would like a refrigerator in room, was on 3rd floor very noisy when the other guests arrived til 10 pm tramping around, etc...otherwise great experience...

location near hospitals....for the price was fantastic since I have to come in for medical care weekly

There were mice in our room!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were mice in our room!!! In the middle of the night we herd scratching of paper and when we opened the light to see what was going on we saw a mice run across the room. It was disgusting! We did not sleep the entire last night due to this.

Absolutely perfect!

I was in town for a convention this past weekend and has an absolutely lovely stay at the Beacon Inn. I usually stay in big chain hotels whenever I'm traveling for business but the Beacon Inn had such a cozy, intimate feeling you can't find anywhere else. I had several boxes of things shipped ahead of time since I couldn't fly with them, and the staff at the inn kindly held them for me with no problem. We had a lot of questions since we're from California and it was our first time in Boston and we felt super comfortable asking questions since the hosts were always super eager to help. Vlad - in particular - was very friendly and always there whenever we needed him. I loved that it was right by the green line stop since we were constantly traveling back and forth from the convention center. If we're ever back in Boston, we'd love to stay here again!

The location was great.

Close to the train, but the tracks were right outside our window so we heard it all night. It wasn't very well maintained. It could be outstanding with some TLC

The location was great. close to where we needed to be the next day.

A pleasant inn with all I needed.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The bathroom was a little rough, tattered ceiling tiles and wallpaper edges.

Bed was soft and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Neat and clean accommodations.

Great stay in old Boston mansion makes you feel at home in an intimate atmosphere.

Heating was fixed to sauna like temperatures. Had to open al three windows to the full to survive the night.

nice atmosphere in an old Boston mansion. More 'at home' than in one of the bigger hotels.

Beautiful room, noisy street, broken shower

The room was beautiful. The noise from the traffic on the street was awful. Out shower head was broken so we could not shower Not happy about that

City and location along with the beautiful building made this stay very enjoyable

Heating and a/c left could have been better. But not complaining too much. The age of the building is taken under consideration. Could have used a little bar fridge and one more chair to make the room perfect. Maybe a little fruit in morn would have been nice.

Liked that the public transportation was so easily accessibly. The ambiance of the place was super. Photo was taken from window of the room

Adequate, cool building, great area.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The mattress desperately needs replacing. In Brookline, there is no overnight street parking. There are plenty of nearby municipal lots and the fee is only $10. Not a problem, but the inn should provide maps and info. more readily. I had to figure it out myself.

Can't complain. For this B&B/Inn, it's important to understand that this is not a corporate or luxury hotel and manage one's expectations accordingly. The staff was generally helpful and friendly. The room was clean and the bathroom was large. My room was the last available and as a result, probably the least desirable. The bathroom was private, but in the hallway. It was large and clean and I had plenty of towels.

We would never stay again!
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

Bathroom detached from the room. The room was dark and smelled. The bed was old and squeaked, it had a dip in the middle so my husband and I had really bad backache. There was a draft coming from the window as part of the window had a piece of plastic taped to the frame instead of glass.

The location wasn't bad. It was close to the train stop and walking distance to the town. Some basic breakfast was also provided.

was satisfied overall
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

room key was hard to manipulate to lock/unlock door. bed was too soft for me

Spacious room. EZ access to public transportation. Very close to food shopping and some restaurants

Great B&B for Brookline area or if you want to do Boston but not be in huge chain or where it's busy
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Wasn't sure where to sit for breakfast, lobby a little cosy, but I think there was a backroom we just didn't know about and no one told us until after we'd eaten.

Nice area of town, very quiet, walk to park and Agannis arena, close to T stop.

It was very nice

Well I paid extra for the parking and had to be there a certain time. My mini van barely made it in the space which was frightening and then I had to shimmy up so close to my fellow parkers it was tough to get out.

This was a lovely location and a lovely old house. The staff was very friendly. Our room was nice.

Staff was great!
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The room had a separate bathroom. While it is a personal bathroom, having it separate really affects privacy. It was a let down to not know this beforehand The internet was pretty OK. Can be better

Staff was great! Breakfast good!

Will never go back
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast, Parking, Room closets cluttered with air conditioners, furniture, could not get into closet to hang cloths.

The breakfast was a farce......It was a snack.....

I enjoyed my stay despite indifferent by staff and lack of cable in tv working.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

More than 1 staff seemed very uninterested to be there or providing support. Seemed like when assistance was asked for by patron, it was a nuisance to them.

I liked the historical feel of the premises.

not my cup of tea
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

What bothered me most is that I got a room with no bathroom. There was a private bathroom in the hallway, but I would never book a room with no bathroom if I knew. Also the property is very old with no elevator-not really my cup of tea.

The guy in the front desk was very kind and helpful. The coffee table with snacks in the lobby was nice.

You Pay Less and You Get Less
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms have poor soundproofing, so I was treated to the next-door guest's skype call for 30 minutes, and to the pounding feet of the guest in the room above mine as s/he walked back and forth. Plus, the TV service offered a terrible range of programs and treated CNN, MSNBC, and other typical stations as premium stations not made available.

Nice stay in Boston

Nothing to complain about but be sure to reserve parking.

The location is very convenient to many places of interest and is right on the green line for easy travel. Nice restaurants and shops within walking distance. The rooms are very welcoming and uniquely Boston. Staff was friendly and very helpful.

Brookline!

No elevator ~ but its an old brownstone and must be respected for keeping the integrity of the building.

Great location right by the T stop and walking distance to fenway and cooidge corner. I grew up in Brookline and this a GREAT value for location and the rooms!

New Go-To spot on Beacon Street
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff didn't communicate about parking and we had to field numerous phone calls for what turned out to be a non-issue

Staff at check in was GREAT Camilo went out of his way to make sure our family was happy

Good for the price, very nice area.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

Staff is variable: some members are very nice to talk to, others will barely say hello. Also the bedding was sometimes done approximatively.

Overall, nice trip in Beacon Inn. Neighborhood is very pleasant, hotel is clean and quiet, house is charming and well-equiped. The breakfast was generally good except one day when there was only cereals available.

Cozy, place to stay.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The bed/room The mattress was a nightmare. The bed was almost fell apart. The TV was so far....you can barely see. The bath is for the exclusive use but.............other side of the Hallway! So...

Location, the train is great! Also runs late Staff, so helpful and nice. Breakfast. The croissants are incredible! Home style place.

Overrated property.

The employee kept asking our sleeping arrangements. We paid for 3 rooms for 6 people, and he kept interrogating us. There was nobody at the hotel to help us until 8am! They charged a credit card I had not authorized just because they couldn't wait until I arrived to the hotel (20 minutes later). It was very expensive and not comfortable. We had to access the bedroom through the bathroom!

It in a good location for what I needed to do.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was located behind the morning services area so I could here all the conversation and activity going on in the lobby. If I stay there again I would request a different room.

It in a good location for what I needed to do. Quaint and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Loved this B&B and the location! Wonderful first trip to Boston!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom was a little small, but expected since it is an old building. Worked out fine.

Super cozy and quaint. Loved the location and atmosphere. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Good Location, But Room for Improvement Otherwise
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Too many little frustrations, probably won't consider returning. Parking not available if you arrive after 9pm, so we had to rearrange that. Asked for a lower floor, got top floor (4th) with no elevator. No parlor space to enjoy just a cramped 'lobby' filled with a giant staff desk -- the first floor parlor had been turned into another guest room. The property has potential, but it is not in the best of condition. The ceilings in our room had clear and widespread water damage. No screen on the one window we could open (there was a window AC unit in the other). I was expecting quaint charm, and it had a little, just not what I was expecting for the price. With some care and creativity, it could be very nice.

The location in Brookline is right at the Hawes St. stop on the T Green (C) Line -- super easy to use. We comfortably walked to Fenway Park (about 10-12 minutes) and enjoyed the tree lined streets and beautiful buildings.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Has potential but...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

No parking, even though they advertised it and I requested it. Had to park miles away and pay 35.00 a night. Very noisy! Breakfast bar/reception right next to room. Cleaning lady yelling. Steep stairs, not mentioned in description. TV not working, hot water going in and out.not same room we booked.

Brownstone was kind of cool.

Lousy experience. Never again
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

Everything!! No a/c, no fan, no screen in window- so could not open. Hot all night . Tight cramped room. No closet to hang clothes. Mattress soft as a sponge- back ached all night. Bathroom way down the hall. with one ceiling light, could not shave properly as no light over mirror. Sink had separate hot and cold water. Bad electric outlet- could not charge phone, Could not wait to get out of there. This was the worst place I have ever stayed at!!

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Awesome day in Boston.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Walks are thin, so there isn't much for privacy. But for the price compared to other hotels nearby, well worth it.

Close to Fenway Park and the MTA. Beds were super comfortable. Staff were very helpful with everything. The continental breakfast was surprisingly fresh and tasty. I was impressed.

Location location location!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

No one on duty at night and until around 8am. Not informed of emergency contact until I asked after spending a night. Room on 4th floor without elevators which may be a problem for some.

Location close to Fenway, Boston U and T station. Comfortable rooms and beds. Bathroom needs updating but shower area was spacious and new. Graciously allowed a late checkout.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Ok stay
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The bathroom was not actually in the room but instead down the hall, the bed was not too comfortable, the breakfast was very limited and the price I paid did not match my experience at the facility.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The bed mattress was great.

The room was too cold & couldn't regulate the temp in the room. Bathroom was small - very narrow.

The bed mattress was great. Very comffy. Usually don't sleep well the first night somewhere new but the bed made it easu to sleep well.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Charming but loud
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was not great. The shower stall was very tight and the sink was sloped so anything you put on the sides slid off. There was a ledge underneath the sink where you could put stuff so that was helpful. Other rooms could be different with a better, roomier bathroom; I only saw our room. The other thing I didn't like was how noisy it is. Old house and it creaks a lot so when the people above us were walking around it was really loud. I wake up early so coming down the stairs at 6:30 to get coffee I felt very obnoxious because every step creaks and I was two floors up.

I love the charm of this hotel. It's a converted house and very old. The snacks and drinks offered in the lobby were really convenient. And speaking of convenience, the location is great. Right on the T. I'd definitely stay here again but it's not for everyone.

RUDE & UNPROFESSIONAL YOUNG STAFF!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff is rude and extremely unprofessional. I stayed with them for a full week. During my stay I was moved to a room that was previously an attic with dirty sheets and comforter. When I told the young man at the front desk that the comforter needed to be changed, and he said that he did me a favor by getting me a new one. He then threw the new comforter on the floor and said if I couldn't appreciate the favor he did for me that I can fix the bed myself. I took photos and a video of him both lying that he didn't throw the comforter on the floor, and another video of him later apologizing for doing it with a smirk on his face. Booking.com wouldn't allow me to add the videos to this review. THIS ALL TOOK PLACE IN FRONT OF MY 4 YEAR OLD SON WHO WAS THEN CRYING BECAUSE OF WHAT THE YOUNG MAN DID. This place and their other location is a operated and staffed to by unprofessional, rude college students. Very disappointing experience.

The location was good for sight seeing and public transportation.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Great location!

I was given a room with 2 double beds at first even though I'd booked a King. I don't really mind, but what's the point in letting me choose a King room in the booking if it's going to be changed?

Great location and Dylan was very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

Beds were comfortable.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Would have appreciated fresh fruit and more bagel selection. Had sesame seed bagels two mornings in a row. No eggs which was a disappointment.

Beds were comfortable. Nice having access to hot and cold water for tea and water.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

It's not good for people with 4 big suit cases and arrange at 3F without elevator.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

NO elevator not good for people with big luggage. house is old so it noisy when someone is walking. no front deck after 10pm check in shower wash power is weak not good for long hair girl

1mins walk to train station room is big front desk people help us to find things in the morning.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

We'd stay there again
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

Our room was on the third floor, but we enjoy stairs. If someone has an issue, we didn't see an elevator. The water temp and pressure in the shower kept changing, from frigid to scalding, use with caution. The breakfast was all empty carbs (bagels, cereal, muffins). Luckily we packed fruits and nuts.

The rooms were large (bathroom and closets too). The staff was very helpful. The ambiance was warm and charming. The bed smelled very clean and was pretty comfortable, despite being a touch too soft. The tap water was drinkable, but they also offer spring water (also coffee & tea) in the lobby. The area was quiet, but close enough to entertainment that it was a quick trip on the T.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Great location at a good price.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Entry to this particular room was right into the washroom - a bit awkward, but wasn't a huge problem.

The beds were very comfy, and location is excellent.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Housemaid very helpful

Size of room

Housemaid very helpful The guy on front desk needs to be sacked arrogant and dismissive on check in more interested in hooking. Up with female checking in than helping ud

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Quiet spacious city room
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Limited parking! Green line ride to Quincy Market takes 15 - 20 minutes in old street cars.

Comfortable spacious room to relax after a day in the city. Friendly staff!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Charming, quiet B&B, in a lovely and convenient location

An elegant old house, nicely decorated, with great atmosphere. My room (1st floor, facing the street) was lovely, spacious and sunny. I enjoyed walking around the neighborhood looking at the beautiful homes and the park/sanctuary. The location was perfect for helping our freshman move in to the dorms, and for exploring Boston. A pleasant place to stay at a decent price. I look forward to staying again.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Wonderful location and wonderful beds!

We stayed on top floor. A lot of steps. Not a real problem for younger ages A lower floor for older folks would be advised

Really comfortable bed. Nice linens.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Nice location

A bigger sign/notice about the 11 AM quiet time, and a reminder to guests upon check-in. I heard voices and doors well past 11.

The location was nice. Whole Foods and restaurants near by. On green line.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

The room was somewhat elegant and the beds superb.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was outdated and the shower ring came apart when I tried to pull the shower curtain. The room windows also needed shades or blinds for privacy. The room was right next to the lobby and I could hear people talking as they made their breakfasts. Also could hear people walking upstairs over room.

The room was somewhat elegant and the beds superb. I really love the old style amoire (sp) closet and the furniture was very pretty. Liked the fireplace.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Would recommend to anyone who wants to vist a grat city!!!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Earlier breakfast with a wee more muffins and cinnamon and raisin bagels but other wise 9 outta 10!!!!

Very clean all round. Nice breakfast to start the morning off and a very good location to do a walk of the lovely city!!!

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

Nice place to stay!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had to leave early for Charity event so Breakfast wasn't available. Parking was the one thing we didn't like - had to park about 10 minutes away.

Beds were comfortable so I slept well. The person at registration desk was nice, told us nearby places to eat. Our room was quiet, expected it to be more noisy based on other reviews.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Terrible
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The central air system broke during the one night of our stay. No staff was available past 9pm, so we were stuck with no flowing air in our room. It got so bad--it's summer here--that we almost slept in the bathroom. The windows were hard to open and the street noise made it impossible to sleep. My husband and I didn't sleep the entire night and got sick the next day, making us lose a day of our vacation and also compromised our work week. When requesting a full refund, the management said that it was a busy time for hotels in Boston and therefore they couldn't give us the full refund. Do not recommend.

Decoration

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

It was a historical place, very convenient to downtown,...

It was a historical place, very convenient to downtown, fenway and for the price it was excellent I will definitely be staying there again when I come it 2 town.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

No management involvement no and no awarenes of how a guest visit is or how guests are treated
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff on saturday was great welciming and helpful. Sunday 7 31 was so rude. Same person on 8 1 bring rude to a person from another country. How embarrassing to represent the US with this rude person. No milk for breakfast cereal , she didn't want to walk and get it. Couldn't print a document. My daughter fell down a flight of stairs where the carpet came up. The rude person did not even ask if she was ok. Had to walk to a parking garage over half mile away. No parking one night at all. It is NOT clearly marked that there is no parking. Tv didn't work. Plugged in my phone charger and the electricity shorted out and sparked out of the wall. No management on site.

Fabulous and Fun!

Beacon Inn was fabulous! It was so interesting meeting other travelers plus the staff were such wonderful people. The location was terrific!

Staff is very friendly, quiet neighborhood, big and clean...

Wifi is kinda slow

Staff is very friendly, quiet neighborhood, big and clean room.

could be earlier.

could be earlier...

• Double Room with One Double Bed

Basically a dump Old walkup Very small room Although antique has no charm I would not recomend it

Beautiful old B&B, great continental breakfast
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

Train runs on this street and is a little noisy

Room was lovely and comfortable; nice continental breakfast

room 10 is perfect

room 9 is to small and the price should not be the same

room 10 is perfect

The location was great and it included a basic breakfast.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

I just thought it was a bit expensive for what it was - beware, no elevator!

The location was great and it included a basic breakfast.

The beautiful interior

The beautiful interior

Nice folks, last available room.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

Small room, distance to bath.

The employee that checked us in was lovely, and the parking...
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The employee that checked us in was lovely, and the parking was so close and convenient!

We used the hotel as a base to check out some universities in Boston and Cambridge, Worked well
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very convenient location. Reasonably priced given the location. Comfortable room.

Nicely decorated room.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nicely decorated room. Comfortable bed. Shower water pressure weak but overall stay was great!! Would stay here again.

My first and possibly best place to stay in Boston!
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

I liked everything; this is non-applicable.

Everything was beyond my expectations!

Charming Brownstone very close to the Longwood Medical area.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

Charming Brownstone very close to the Longwood Medical area.

Traditional architecture

Traditional architecture

It was good

It was good

Great location!
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The breakfast is served in the lobby, which in some cases is a bit uncomfortable.

The location is great to explore Boston.

It’s hard to find a spot to park the car.
    • Double Room with One Double Bed

The room is very small with no space to keep the luggage.

It’s hard to find a spot to park the car. The hotel doesn’t provide the parking facility.

The stay worked out very well for us. The convenience of public transportation was terrific.

Breakfast options were few.

It would be nice to have lighting on both sides of the bed.