Reviews of Bent Prop Inn and Hostel of Alaska - Midtown

3104 Eide Street, Anchorage, AK 99503, USA

#3 of 70 hotels in Anchorage

Based on 203 hostel reviews

I had a great time in Alaska
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

I went out for the day and came back and all my things were missing. The front desk said the girls cleaned the room even though I was booked for two days. They had thrown my things in the trash...

Great value and costumer service
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

Even though the location is not as good as downtown, there is a museum close to the hostel and several places that are open 24 hours.

It's not the typical hostel. It is a great place, very comfortable, staff is great. They really care for guests, they want you to enjoy your stay with them and not just your money. John, the owner, usually helps guests by giving rides to downtown or other places, for instance one day he took a group of guests to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. That was so nice of him.

It felt like having my own apartment to go back to each day
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

I went to the wrong Bent Prop in Downtown. The driver of the airport shuttle seemed not to be aware that there are 2 Bent Prop Inn in Anchorage. Also the bus services stop before 7PM so one has to walk or take a cab to go back after that time.

The 4-person room is studio style with kitchen and sitting room area. It is very spacious and comfortable. The kitchen is equipped with full-size fridge, stove, oven, microwave and coffee maker - far exceeding what I expected (and filter and coffee powder provided as well!). It is also adequately heated and the bathroom is very clean. The bed is comfortable. As I was the only person staying in that room I had the whole facility to myself. However I could imagine that it would still feel rather comfy even if four persons stay in it. The only Walmart in Anchorage is just a few blocks away, and next to it across the street there is a Noble & Barns bookshop that opens until 11PM!

Best value in anchorage, central location
    • Bunk Bed in Male Dormitory Room

Hot shower, clean bed whats not to like for that price!

Best value for money! If you can do the hostel thing, its great! And the managers are very helpful

Highly recommend this property. I will always come to this hostel for future visits.

n/a

Exceptionally accommodating and helpful owners. Go beyond the call of duty to assist guests. Provide rides to and from airport. The owner helped me with taking my vehicle to Alaska Transport when the car was due for shipment. This helpfulness exceeds expectations.

Great place to stay in Anchorage
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Stayed in an upper floor apartment. Liked it so much we returned 10 days later and repeatedly added extra days to our booking. Apartment was spotless with its own kitchen/living room. A real home from home. To cap it off, the inn is run by John, a really lovely man, who couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable. Recommended!

I Would return to this Midtown place both for the comfort and the value for money
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

Lock on the outside door was hard to open, remote control for tv needs repair...no complaints on substantive matters. A hinge for closing the rest room would be appreciated, especially if the 4 room dorm were fully occupied (it was not during my stay).

In any years of travel I would rate the hostel among the best....the accommodations were pleasant,the living room had tv,coffeemaker,frigerator,stove,some carpeting,two sofas, good lighting, hot water, shower and toilet...all at a modest price near a Walmart.

Feels like home
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The neighborhood can be a little rough, but that's true for a lot of Anchorage. They need to be a little clearer on dorm rules for people who haven't stayed in hostels much.

Super-accomodating staff, always looking out for my safety and comfort, furnished like an apartment with all of the necessities for a long stay. Close to amenities, but further from downtown.

Excellent price
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

You do need to bring everything you need to have a shower, ( shampoo, soap , etc.)

I booked a bunk bed stay to have a shower before I boarded on an overnight flight from Anchorage. When I told the owner about that, he and his wife gave me a huge discount and provided hair dryer. Very nice couple!

Great value & convenient
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Greeting was friendly as usual. Comfortable. I like there's a kitchen. I met an awesome gal from Germany. Best of all is affordable pricing. Thank you!

Wonderful staff.
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

Not a big fan of bunk beds but they were comfortable enough. Got the change to move to a lower bunk after one night on the top.

Wonderful staff. Very customer responsive! Location was perfect. Access to public transportation, restaurants and Walmart was unbeatable.

Best Value downtown Anchorage
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

Great value for the area, very nice and accommodating staff. Highly recommend. Walk to REI, Alaska seafood and sausage for great AK smoked salmon gifts (8 min)

Quality Accommodation for an Economic Price
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Some people may find the distance to downtown a problem. However, my first day here I walked easily into town within half an hour and on my return I found buses Nos 75 or 2 dropped me off within a short walk to the hostel.

The hostel is very comfortable with a lounge area, TV, kitchen and a dorm for four people. However, what makes this hostel is outstanding is the support provided by John and Cindy in so many ways. I was collected from the station, given information about tourist spots and when I went to Dinali for two days I was able to store some items with them until I returned. Any request was met in a courteous and helpful way. The apartment was clean with full kitchen facilities. There is a Walmart and restaurants within easy walking distance. This hostel is highly recommended.

Until the next time!
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Ok we already know that John and Cindy are awesome people that go out of their way to make your stay memorable. But let's talk about the rooms. Motel kinda style. Livingroom with couch and tv, kitchen with refrigerator, seperate bedroom, and seperate bathroom. Good matresses! Complimentary coffee/tea/use of towel/use of bike (do the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail!). Lockers that easily fit your big backpack. Bit away from the city centre but Walmart and some restaurants are just two blocks away. I would recommend this to anyone for a nice and easy stay.

Actually the dorm is a hotel room, so you have all the...
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

A little far from the main tourist area (about 35 min walking or have to take a bus).

Actually the dorm is a hotel room, so you have all the facilities: shower/toilet, kitchen (microwave, sink, fridge, stove), common room (sofa, tv). The room is spacious with two bunk beds and lockers. Near restaurants, bus stop and supermarket.

perfect! amazing
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

the staffs are really nice and the managers does not mind taking me and the other guests to downtown back and forth for free and the manager even drove me and the other guests to the mountain and pick us up. they are genuinely nice.

Home Away from Home

About 2 miles from the railway / need to take taxis

Outstanding service from John who picked me up at the station when my train came in late. Ultra helpful at all times

The Bent Prop is an outstanding lodging facility. I would recommend to all!
    • One-Bedroom Suite

The cleanliness of the room was excellent. The friendliness and dedication of the staff (John and assistant) was crucial towards the great outcome of our vacation. The staff tirelessly worked to assist us in coordinating tours. This WILL be my lodging during my next visit to Alaska!

Perfect in every aspect
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

I booked a bed in a 4 room female only dorm with our own bathroom and kitchen and only ended up having to share with 1 other person. After travelling for 7 months this was a bonus

Good choice of place to stay in Anchorage.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

No elevator and we lived upstairs (our bags were too heavy).

We lived in the family room. The room was good, true to the picture in the website and good facilitating with reasonable price. The staff were very nice.

Great time in Anchorage.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

The location is great - central to getting around without being downtown. The room was large and had everything we needed. The property delivered a goodie basket with yogurt, fruit, muffins and juice. Very nice people with a personal touch. I highly recommend this property.

Absolutely worth the value
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Just a small issue but no big deal: the top bunk on the bunk bed did not have a border on it so there is a slight safety issue there, and there is no ladder to the top bunk either.

Great wifi coverage, there is a kitchenette, really good location (walmart is within walking distance and it is also near asian markets), laundry and dryer machines are available and are 1.75 each, nice host.

Best choice
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Great manager and staff , they are very friendly and big help, I enjoyed large ,clean and comfortable room at low price compare with other hostels I stayed all the way . Thanks !

A pleasant, healthy nourishing stay
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

Room cleaners could have arrived regularly,

A caring attitude of Mr. john forbes. I lost my luggage with United airlines and john personally helped me get back luggage, arrange fir any clothing required in emergency. He also personally dropped me in his car at busy times.

hostel during 'off season' loads of privacy.
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

everything is great, but, I have to admit that right now I am the only female here, so when the place is full the experience may be different.

The manager made a point to make sure the room I am staying in is clean (I have a feeling they haven't had many guests during "off season") and she also made it a point to point out everything in the neighborhood that I might need. She is very friendly and the place feels like heaven (especially for a hostel)

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Excellent customer service with excellent location!
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Excellent customer service!!! They treat you like a family!! I think, they offer a ride to downtown and pickup! Clean room and bath with cozy livingroom. Share a room with other people from everywhere! When i had to go to a rent car place early in the morning, the general manager, John, offered me a ride!!! How kind he is :) On the last day, i had to carry my luggage but they allowed me to put my luggage at the downtown branch office. :D Visited Alaska in the middle of April, not many things were going on but definitely recommend to visit Alaska even in winter time. Drove the Seward and saw unforgettable sceneries. Breathtaking views with many photozones. :P

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Great place friendly people
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Entrance to the office was a little awkward but no problems

The taxi driver dropped me at the wrong place and I called the inn and the manager came and picked me up even though it was 10 o'clock at night he was very helpful and very knowledgeable of the area and apologized for the taxi driver even though it wasn't his fault, I will definitely stay with them again.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Best hostel for me
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

This is the best Youth hotel for me . The price for one bed is very cheap. And there is a kitchen in the Dorm so that you can cook by yourself to save money . It is only three blocks to the Watmart . You can walk to there The boss John is very nice . He help us in lot of things . And it is also has a free parking place .

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Spacious Apartments at Bent Prop Midtown
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The Bent Prop Midtown is a wonderful choice for travelers on a budget or who need space to organize food for an outing, as each "room" is a converted apartment with a kitchen. My bed was very comfortable. Owners John & Cindy are welcoming and accessible, as is the rest of their staff. I have stayed here multiple times and will do so again!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

A real Alaskan welcome!
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Buses to downtown infrequent, but the hostel can't control the buses!

Lovely beds and linen. Can't say enough about the friendly and obliging staff- wonderful human beings! I was also very lucky with my room mates.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Great place for group stay
    • One-Bedroom Suite

We were very impressed with the one-bedroom suites. They had a plenty of space and as a bonus, a fairly complete kitchen. The staff was very nice, and were available to let us check-in at 4 AM after our flight to Anchorage had been delayed.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

Enjoy the Bent Prop
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

This is a unique hostel - a converted apartment building. Each unit has a kitchen and living room, which are great for organizing gear and food. The beds are very comfortable, and the midtown location is great for access to useful stores. I always stay at Bent Prop while preparing for multi-day outings in wild Alaska.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Wonderful host who took care of all our needs!
    • One-Bedroom Suite

John took care of us from the time we arrived at the airport till we got our own car to drive to Seward. He and Cindy were excellent host. The apartment was just right for our family. The breakfast they left for us was good portion and we especially love the fruits. John was there to pick us when we return from Seward and right there for us the next morning to send us to airport.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

Good value for backpackers, but not really for family vacations
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Bed was uncomfortable. Kitchen utensils were scarce. Windows seem like would be easy to break into, and the window by the front door had to be left open to get good ventilation during the warmer days which didn't give me a warm feeling of security since there is no screen and it was close to the front door. It is obvious that this place is tailored for backpackers and other independent travelers and was only converted to accommodate families during tourists season.

Price. John was friendly and accommodating😊.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Best hotel in Ancorage
    • One-Bedroom Suite

This hotel is excellent. The hotel manager John is amazing - helps and cares deeply for guests. Family warm hospitality. The hotel is located within walking distance from Walmart so you can shop even by foot. The rooms are large and suitable for families with children.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Great place to have a home away from home.
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

There's a stop sign near this place that's covered up by a tree. Be careful ;)

This place is FANCY! The units are pretty much apartments. Full with bedroom and kitchen. Loved it!!!

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Very friendly hosts and a great kitchenette!
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Owners were incredibly friendly. Lots of advice on what to see and how to get around. I stayed in a 4-bed room; the bedroom had 4 bunkbeds, but we also had our own kitchenette and living space (not shared with the rest of the hostel, just for us)! This made it so nice to come back and relax after a day of sightseeing. Easy walking distance from a Walmart to stock up on supplies.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Nice, clean, friendly, safe place. I Recommend it
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

you will have to walk or take a cab if you miss the last bus at night if you're in downtown. Around 35-45min walking from downtown. I walked thu. It's not taht bad unless if you're tired lol.

Very clean and nice place I enjoyed the stay there and the owner was super friendly. Walmart and some other stores are around. Very friendly owners. Not far from downtown $2 only by bus to get to downtown or you can walk if it's nice outside.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Clean, spacious room
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Wish we could have stayed longer!

The proprietor was very friendly and helpful, the room was clean (with way more space than we were expecting!), and the location is conveniently close to the airport.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Great place for value consious traveler. Not fancy; a little worn, but friendly and clean

Bunk bed mattresses left me with a backache, and while the apartments were clean, there were odd things that stood out like unfinished trim job, kitchen needed new paint job, etc can't control the neighbors, but the housing behind the hostel needs serious cleanup. But it was a good reminder of variety of lifestyles found in Anchorage.

John and Cindy were extremely helpful, and worked round the clock helping us and other guests get to places we needed to be. Pricing was great for budget conscious travelers. The founain in the backyard is a good noise blocker to fall asleep too.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Fantastic accommodation
    • One-Bedroom Suite

No complaints we liked everything.

We had a fantastic room with all the comforts of home. The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was perfect. John is so welcoming it felt like we were staying with friends.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

Great night sleep at the Bent Prop Downtown
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Location,I think the exterior could use updated.

Easy airport access,staff was extremely helpful and nice. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've slept on during my travels.

Great value, great stay

Beds a little hard.

Great value. Friendly staff. Great to meet other travelers. Didn't expect full kitchen so was able to save even more money.

Great value for the money. Great location. Nice big space.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

John was very friendly and wanted to make sure we had a good stay. Location is great. Value for the money is great!

Weekend in Anchorage
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Full kitchen available for use. Big relaxing space. Nice bathroom.

Homey hostel close to Outdoor shops, Walmart and Tidal wave bookstore

Nice owner and athmosphere. Affordable

The people are nice

The people are nice

Great stay in Anchorage at Bent Prop Inn
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

John was very nice, the facility was great, clean, quite, and comfortable. Will stay there again on my return

Great for me!

Great for me!

Property was clean and comfy.
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Property was clean and comfy. Close to store. I took time when I was there alone, so I felt that I booked a apartment just for myself;)

Is a apartament!

Is a apartament!!! Was excellent

Great, not that crowded and good clean place to stay.

nothing, was excellent place to stay.

Fast, friendly and a great location

Staff are very friendly
    • Bunk Bed in Male Dormitory Room

Staff are very friendly

I will book again.
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Hard to access the front desk

Spacious living room and kitchen.

Staff is really nice.
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Staff is really nice. Walmart is 5 minutes walking and are some restaurants around too. It’s a big apartment with everything you can need .

Over the course of the several days I stayed here, I had one roommate who was respectful. I spent
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

The location works well for me.

İt is very clean and hosts are very helpful and it is cheap

İt is very clean and hosts are very helpful and it is cheap

good for money

Cleaning

Tv in the room

John is great man

John is great man

Very good value as a hostel.
    • Bed in 4-Bed Male Dormitory Room

Very good value as a hostel. Staff provide great service.

Great place to stay over while in Anchorage

huge room friendly staff

The best acom in Anchorage

Perfect service, clean, pleasure

Staff was friendly and has a kitchen in room
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Have to take a bus to go to downtown

Staff was friendly and has a kitchen in room

We've stayed at two other hostels in Anchorage, this is by far the best.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Inexpensive, clean room, friendly staff.

Great start to a wonderful vacation!
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Juice, muffins, and yogurt in the frig- pleasant surprise.

The staff were really helpful, arrived from late flights on...
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The staff were really helpful, arrived from late flights on both stays and they were really accommodating helping with taxis and local advice.

Everything was good!
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Everything was good! Only complaint was they were all booked so I couldn't stay another night :-)

Valuable for moneyll
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Upper bunk bed has a bit of noise when moving.

We booked family suite and that was good. Staff are nice and helpful.

The room is very big with kit Chen, living room, washroom...
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The room is very big with kit Chen, living room, washroom and room with 4 beds.

Roominess, kitchen, and helpful staff!
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Roominess, kitchen, and helpful staff!

satisfyed
    • Bed in 4-Bed Female Dormitory Room

The staff. they treated you like family.

Perfect for our family of 4