Reviews of Best Western Plus Hotel at the Convention Center 3 stars

517 E. 1st Street, Long Beach, CA 90802, USA

#7 of 66 hotels in Long Beach

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Wish they was a little more time for check out due to the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Extra time in order to shower and clear my items before checking out; felt rush after my event.

Wish they was a little more time for check out due to the event happening that day. I had a few minutes before check, after the marathon run.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

I brought my own breakfast for the most part but took an...

The exercise room could have been open earlier. When you have to be at your conference at 7:30 and the room opens at 6 you really can't get in a long walk in before you need to go get showered for the meeting.

I brought my own breakfast for the most part but took an apple each morning. The last day I was able to get some pancakes. The front desk was exceptional and answered my questions fully and were very helpful. The pool looked very inviting even though I never got a chance to climb in.

Little holiday weekend vacation
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The price is a little high once you add all taxes and the extra cost of parking, bringing the total daily cost over $40 over the advertised. Also I don't like the fact that $100 security deposit is not returned at checkout but it's held for a few days before it's reimbursed

It's in a great location close to shopping and dining. The room is a good size and everything is very clean.

The elevator was broken,and we were sucked for a while.

The elevator was broken,and we were sucked for a while. That is the only elevator we have to move our luggages by myself. But the servicer is nice to us,he make apologize and is willing for us to move luggages.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Convenient location, ten minutes from the convention center

Having to pay $17.00 Per day for parking, to much. I didn't like that at all

I love the cleanliness, , .the elevator has a nice fragrance, I also love the ice machine , which was pretty new.

Friendly staff but beds were too small and not very comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were very small to accommodate 3 adults and beds were not very comfortable.

They offer a pretty decent breakfast. Although the sitting area is very small you can easily take it up to your room to enjoy.

It was a hod stay though. The hotel is nice clean and eith friendly and helpful staffs. Breakfast is
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didnt get te room i reserved. The photos on your site was misrepresented. The double room with 2 double beds was for disabled people which your site didnt say. I though i was getting a big roomy room.

quite good!

Personnel was quite good! even I have problems they did their best to solve the problem with a lot of empathy, the room was a lot of space. It is located walking distance from the convention center and touristy areas as restaurants, shops and the marina

The property was nice.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

The only problem I had was with my key. Every time I left the room I had to go to front desk because my key didn’t work. That was aggravating.

The property was nice. Friendly staff, location was excellent.

No microwave. Had to pay for my own parking.

I did NOT like that i had to pay 17 dollars for parking. Its unfair. Thats just extra money i had to spend. Due to that rule i will not be booking anymore rooms at that Hotel👎🏻

I liked that room service ladies spoke spanish. Easier for me to communicate with them.

Location was good, and hotel was updated nicely

It seems like the update did not include the hotel "guts" as the pipes are very noisy, and when someone takes a shower in a near by room, the water flow is very noisy. The mattress was too soft (or old...) and the pillows were clumpy and small...not comfortable pillows.

Location was good, and hotel was updated nicely

Nice hotel in a fantastic location with friendly staff. Bring earplugs if you are sleeping in!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The cleaning staff were very, very loud. It sounded like things were being thrown in the hallway and the worst part about it were the walkie talkies. It sounded like the hotel was being raided for at least two hours starting pretty early in the morning.

Check in staff were very friendly and welcoming. They always smiled when we entered the hotel. The parking was a good price.

Located near downtown and walking distance to a lot of...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lady behind the counter at 6:30 am was not happy to help when I needed to print up my tickets when the computer was acting up.

Located near downtown and walking distance to a lot of things to do.

Hotel not good value for money.

Check in at front desk poor. Bit of an attitude. Copied my drivers licence. In my mind that is a beach of privacy. Never in my 30 years travelling to the States had that happen to me. Show my picture identity to confirm who I was every time - no problem. Was given the keys to room 392. They don't have that many rooms. Had to revise, go back down stairs and get an update from the front desk for room 329. Couldn't sleep. Next door having a party with loud music. Reported to front desk and nothing was done. I knocked on the neighbour's door. Asked politely and he turned the music off. Not a great stay I must admit.

Nothing reasy

Good staff and good breakfast!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The curtains were not able to close as there was a small curtain rail? so we had to sleep with light coming into room. the air con also changed settings to the temperature that we wanted it set to.

Good staff and good breakfast!

Overall wonderful experience

The parking was a little pricey and it seemed like there were more cars than there was parking spots available at the hotel.

The location was great, the staff was kind and helpful, the breakfast provided was delicious, and cleanliness of the hotel was amazing.

Beyond abover average

Leaving

The feel of being welcomed by all the staff and the comfort of the room itself. None of the staff would let you pass without greeting you with a smile and all staff members were very informative.

Good stay but never got a chance to walk around the area. There seems to be a lot of places to see.

My TV never worked did call in but wanted me to call at 7pm. That didn't work out for me to contact someone since I was out. You think someone would try to contact you or leave a msg on trying to fix it. Also the parking door was a bit hard to pull open when leaving.

I was too busy to ck on the breakfast provided. I would of liked to see vending machine with ice on the floors.

Nothing like a newly remodeled hotel.

Nothing like a newly remodeled hotel... carpet smelled new and fresh, nice sized rooms with large windows for city views, good location.. walked to our favorite restaurant. Excellent bed, Flat screen.. room amenities, reasonable overnight parking ($17) Please don't double it... We will be back!

All well, except for the check-in portion, when my card was rejected. The girl at desk was nice tho.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was a bummer that my pay card wasn't accepted since my name wasn't on it. I wasn't prepared to have to pay cash or ask my boyfriend to pay, but that's what ended up happening. I work for Palomar Pomerado Health and employees who don't want automatic deposit, are left with one option and that is to be paid by a "Total Pay" card. Unfortunately, all of the cards that are issued to their employees, show "Palomar Health" in place of their names. This was the first time someone has refused my form of payment and it could have been really disastrous.

The bed was amazingly comfortable and we loved the location of the Hotel, since we needed to be at the Convention Center early in the morning for an event. We asked what type of beds the hotel used and we were told "Serta", but the ladies at the desk weren't sure of the specific type, so if anyone can answer, please do. They were great.

Relaxing & Nice!!!

Later check out time.

Slept really well. Nice Clean Rooms. Surrounding restaurants were FABULOUS! James Republic has excellent Signature drinks. The Complimentary breakfast had Bacon 🥓Waffles 🥞Eggs🥚Coffee🍵🍽!

Bed & pillows great sheets were crisp and comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Eggs were a bit stiff. Also I’m tired of CNN in every lobby and breakfast. I prefer less opinion and more news.

Bed & pillows great sheets were crisp and comfortable

I'll never recomend this hotel to my friends and family or coworkers.

We ask about tv did not work. But they did't do anything about it. We could not sleep because the room was too brigh and the courtins where too thin. I came as a family and they put net to as a couple that make noise all night. You shoul put family separet from singles or couples without children. They never change the sheets and the way I notice is because my daughter spelt some yougurt. We clean it, but the stain was there. The swimming pool water was cold. The pictures I saw in the advertisment make it look that the hotel is next to the beach and is not. They charge me an extra night with parking and we where not here. I have many friends and family that travel and they were asking me about the hotel. I w'll never recomend this hotel at all.7

The only good think this hotel has was the people specifically Berta

Great stay, great location, awesome staff, good breakfast, loved it.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was clean and quiet, the beds were nicely done. The staff was very helpful especially the front desk. The young lady at the front desk in the morning was soo nice and helpful and very pleasant to talk to. The F.O.M. was very helpful. We very much enjoyed our stay and hope to stay again when in the area.

The room was clean and nice.

I have stayed at different Best Western and never paid for parking, this location charges for parking, it was not even 11 am and already they were harassing us over the phone if we needed more time, I stayed at better hotels and never been harassed. I would never stay here again.

The room was clean and nice.

Over-all stay was still excellent.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The indoor pool wasn't temperature controlled. The water was so called when my kids went for a swim. The Stair door access wasn't working, I have to take a longer route coming from parking going back to the room.

Overall ok.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Carpets in the room were very dirty. Noisy plumbing when other rooms used shower, etc. Rate shown online was not available. Rate was higher when booked.

Location. New property. Room size. Bathroom clean. Free Internet and breakfast.

Clean, comfy , safe and friendly hotel.Our one night stay was perfect and our breakfast a big bonus.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Cant say as our one night stay was perfect.

Breakfast a big surprise, plenty to eat and good. Bedroom very clean and comfortable and staff all very friendly. Location quite good , walked around before leaving for cruise . Near Shoreline Village and shops.

We like the area and it’s proximity to LAX. It’s easy driving along the coast and a good stopover.

Additional parking charge.

Facilities are very good, breakfast is more than ample to cater for most tastes. The area is safe to walk around and it’s easy to get to the harbour. Parking is underground and secure although there is an additional daily charge. If you don’t want to walk or drive you can always get a cab/Uber. Close to bars and restaurants.

Excellent value, I would stay there again!

The hot breakfast was not very good. Eggs overcooked, bacon soggy.

The property is in a trendy neighborhood close to attractions, restaurants and shopping. Renting a car to get around is recommended. Safe and quiet and clean.

Lovely would stay again

Only complaint is breakfast could have more fruit to offer

Lovely stay, hotel doesn't look brilliant from outside but a real gem inside, our room was lovely and clean and very comfortable

Location was right in the downtown area.

The staff was friendly and extremely helpful but there was no shuttle service to cruise ship not to the airport. No laundry facilities onsite.

Location was right in the downtown area.

Pleasant short business stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

Breakfast was very basic and the room for breakfast felt a little small. If you go at the peak crowded times it might be difficult to find a spot to eat.

Parking was extremely easy. Location was good, a lot of choices for food and shopping within walking distance. Hotel and room was clean and staff were very friendly and helpful.

From Phoenix
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was very clean, staff was very helpful and friendly, the location was perfect . The breakfast was great for being included.The parking was great ,no issues. I will definitely book my next visit to Long Beach there .

Great small boutique type hotel -

paid parking

Andrew was fantastic !!! anything you needed staff was ready willing and able ! Great location ! area is full of great restaurants and small unique shops close to convention center as well

Nice hotel in a good location
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Check-in took too long, but I think the clerk is new.

There is an incredible restaurant just up the street called District Wine. We went there for happy hour, and the food was amazing. The hotel is in a great location, especially to get to public transportation. The staff was very nice, and the room was quiet.

Great stay at Long Beach for an affordable price.

Elevator needs to be upgraded, with a single elevator running the entire building you need to wait at least 2 minutes for it to reach you.

Bed was great, big king size in the middle of the room with a single sofa next to it allowed for extra comfort.

I fell in love with everything about this stay and will definitely be coming back.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The building always smelled wonderful even from the parking garage elevators, we were very surprised. It was very clean everywhere we explored in the hotel and the staff was very helpful and wonderful.

Long Beach, USA
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The covered pool. It would be lovely if there was an outdoor pool, with the lovely Californian weather.

It is a lovely quiet area with plenty of shops and restaurants close by. Breakfast was very enjoyable. Close to Metro if you want a less expensive way of getting to the different areas of LA, although using the Metro was an education.

Meh
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No cable, internet, or TV on arrival for the first day and night. The air conditioner was slow to respond to the hot weather. The seating area for. Real fast was in adequate for the number of people served

Very good

Parking not for free ($ 15 per night), but streetparking is free between 18:00 & 09:00. Wi-Fi sometimes didn't work. Bit pricey.

Very nice and clean, friendly and helpful staff, very professional, good location, restaurants in the area.

The lady working the breakfast area helped me and another...

Walls were thin. Heard the TV from next door.

The lady working the breakfast area helped me and another guest make waffles. Appreciate her recognizing we needed help.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Best Western Plus Hotels - the best hotels in America for New Zealanders
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not enough tables and chairs at breakfast, couldn't seat as a family.

Nice area, lots of restaurants and cafes near by. Excellence location and really good breakfast. Great indoor pool, paid for parking but its secure inside the property. Very friendly, helpful staff. We found all the Best Western Plus Hotels we stayed at to be the best hotels and value for money.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Parking is $ 15.

You have to pay for parking.

Parking is $ 15.00 per night, was not informed of this prior to reservation . Breakfast was ok, scrambled eggs not real eggs, otherwise good food.

Hotel next to Beach, Aquarium and Queen Mary
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

- The room would be great with a microwave. It was missing from the room. - We got a wifi password at check in. The checkout time was 11am on last day. But I could not connect to the wifi network on checkout day at 9am. The password was already invalid. - The breakfast area is too small.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Poor
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was rude. Rooms were small and no microwave. Hair in the towels. Trim in the bathroom is missing.We asked to be moved to a different room because we had a view of apartments(super close).I tried to cancel the room and go somewhere else but I was told I couldnt.

Toiletries

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Great Location. Nice area. Everything good to great like expected. Will definitely recommend.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast can be upgraded with some fruits.

Breakfast was OK, everything except fruits was available. Clean, quiet and spacy rooms. Good area you can walk. Short distance to convention center and aquarium.

Rooms weren't ready at check in time

Check in time is 3 pm but the rooms were still not ready at 3:30pm. The front desk said she was going to give us a good street view room but since that room wasn't ready at 3:30pm she ended up giving us a room facing the parking/garage, which was noisy. I don't understand why there was such a delay for checking in and we had to wait in the lobby where the AC was barely on.

Convenient location

Great location and friendly, helpful personnel!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

The room was located near a very noisy ice-maker! Why do these things have to be switched on the whole night??? What a waste of energy!

Conveniently located in a reasonlably quiet road not far from good restaurants and the beach!

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

local 2 night stay just for fun

-Walls are pretty thin, could definitely hear some noisy neighbors on the last day -The curtains were strange. The heavy, light blocking ones don't close completely, they're almost just decorative. So you're left with the thin, almost transparent layer underneath them to try to block out the sunlight and other's view into your window

-The bed was very comfortable. -There were plenty of lamps in the room, making it nice and bright. -The bathroom was very spacious. -There was a large desk and office chair, perfect because I actually had some work to do. - Sooo many outlets, usb ones too, to charge my phone and laptop -breakfast was okay, definitely have to get in there early though as it's a very small room

Wish we knew then what we know now
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

"At the convention center" was a little miss leading. We booked here because we thought it was "at the convention center".....not a few blocks away. The beds were comfortable, but the the double beds were too small for 2 people. The breakfast was very good, but the dining room.....too small. Parking should have been included.

Parking was good. Newly remodeled rooms....very nice!

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Over priced and disappointing
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

no patio furniture on the balcony we paid extra for and the view was a run down apartment building about 20 feet away. The fan in the bathroom was so loud we had trouble sleeping and then the heater and ac were even louder. When we informed the manager about how uncomfortable our stay was he gave us our parking for the night for free. A 15 dollar credit for parking at their hotel from 4am till 10 am. our stay was that short. This experience and how little the manager cared about our comfort makes me wonder if I'll return to a best Western in the future.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Inviting aroma

At the moment, I can not think of any.

The building was beautiful. Smelt amazing. Loved the room. The bed was so soft and inviting. I had to work while I was there so I couldn't enjoy the full stay. But it took so much pressure and stress from me. I would definitely be coming back

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Staff was very helpful.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

The breakfast room was very crowded (it's maximum occupancy was only 30 people, which is very little considering there are 60 apartments there). For the price paid, the parking should have been included.

Staff was very helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

the breakfast was nice

hotel walls are thin--this is not helpful on a business trip (I heard details of an argument). Additionally--the curtains did not close. There were gauze see-through curtains, but the heavy curtains only had tracks for about 1.5ft.

the breakfast was nice

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

people blow us must have had joints rooms and hosting a...

people blow us must have had joints rooms and hosting a party with many many people and kids. doors slamming and loud noise. The front counter said well sorry they are kids. not the response i wanted to hear

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Other than the above issues our stay was very comfortable, good breakfast menu, healthy choices avai
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Heated pool wasn't hot enough to be used, it was very cold. Hotel repairs were in progress, strong paint odor in facility

Everything, staff was very helpful

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Chili cheese crusted sheets
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Had a terrible smell, shower had mildew and mold, toilet was dirty and the sheets were filthy. Had leftover food crusted on it. Looked like old chili cheese. I have pics of the bed but was rushing to get to the office and didn't take more...very disgusting. I would never stay there again. Also, based on booking.com's rating system you may be fooled, it seems to score way higher than a normal site. Try searching for reviews on Yelp or Trip Advisor for more fair Ratings.

The only plus was the location and price. Needed to be at the Queen Mary for a corporate event and only needed the room for a few hours of sleep.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

vreat location
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

How they charger for everything even parking

I woke up a lil sore i didn't think there beds were so comfortable.and they tryed to charge me 35$ for a early check in when i got there at 4:pm

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Overnight stay in Long Beach 😀
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

Comfy bed 😀 Friendly and helpful staff 😀Great breakfast 😀 Only 3 blocks to the free passport bus😀 Clean environment 😀Across the street from restaurants 😀I would definitely stay there again 😀

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Friendly lower-budget choice in Long Beach.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The walk from the hotel to the downtown area where I was attending a conference didn't always feel safe at night. And while the hotel was extremely quiet on 5 of my 6 nights that I stayed, I had some noisy neighbors my last night -- fortunately I had to be up quite late working, otherwise I would have found it hard to sleep.

The staff at Best Western Plus were all really friendly from the cleaning staff to the front desk. I felt welcomed every time I walked into the hotel. My room was large, hot water was plentiful. The bed was really comfortable. Excellent Italian restaurant across the street and a homey coffee shop as well. Nice artsy neighborhood a few blocks from the downtown bustle.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Nice hotel, but go to a different beach
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking is an extra $15 per night that I hadn't noted when booking. I do recommend the hotel, but if you're looking to enjoy the beach check the reviews first. We will be going to a different beach next time.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and quite nice. Breakfast was also fairly good; nothing exceptional, but they had a nice variety.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Great location, clean & comfortable, with best price point.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

Temperature was hard to regulate. Had move from the bed near to the cooling unit because the air blew directly on me.

Location. Good mix of local neighborhood businesses that also serves visitors. Variety of shops, excellent choices in restaurants and drinking establishments. Central location gives you the ability to walk to all downtown destinations.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Excellent hotel, clean and professional.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

The hotel was in excellent condition, the staff was as friendly as ever and we really enjoyed our stay here. The location was great too. Lots to walk to. We will definitely stay here again!

Mediocre

Beds were not comfortable and air conditioner was old style and loud

No smoking

Very clean, bed comfortable, restaurants across the way.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Balcony

Very clean, bed comfortable, restaurants across the way. Enjoyed my stay.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Great location ,close to everything .

Parking price.

Great location ,close to everything .

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

The staff

The elevator was not working

The staff

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Very clean.

Very clean. Close to everything

Everything else was great
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Just wished the pool was open longer hours

Everything else was great

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Clean, friendly & conveniently located.

Clean, friendly & conveniently located. Great stay.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Clean, friendly & conveniently located.

Clean, friendly & conveniently located. Great stay.

Staff sand management were very helpful.

Staff sand management were very helpful.

Relax and comfortable stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast time was very busy and we found sound difficulties to be seated during the peak time.

Good location near long beach