Reviews of The Inn at Longwood Medical 3 stars

342 Longwood Avenue, Fenway Kenmore, Boston, MA 02115 , USA

#72 of 84 hotels in Boston

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Convenient but expensive if you must be by one of the Longwood medical area hospitals
    • Standard Queen Room

Absolutely dated and impersonal lobby and rooms for price ($350+) and location. Floor carpets dirty, bath didn’t drain. Room was small.

Went to a conference at BWHospital and hotel was a short walk to the building.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Good location and u don’t have to say good morning
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Don’t be surprised if you say hi , good morning to someone there and he replies “ no answer “ One of the cleaners did it :) .

Location Some of the front staff were amazing. Thanks for their help

The staff is very friendly.
    • Standard Queen Room

The cost per night is a little high. Maybe offer a lower rate to people who book 3 weeks or more in advance.

The staff is very friendly. Parking garage is great, very convenient!

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Would not stay again although location was convenient.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The toilet in our room was running on the first night. It couldn't be fixed that evening, so we were moved to the last available room which was right above a noisy air conditioning unit. Had to be moved again. The price compared to others where we have stayed nearby was way too expensive.

The location near the major hospitals and convenient parking.

I like everything about the place.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The price was too high, we have stayed there before and it did not cost us as much. We paid it because when we go to Fenway, we only want to stay there.

I like everything about the place.

It smelled old and ac took forever to cool down and it was...
    • Standard Queen Room

It smelled old and ac took forever to cool down and it was loud, we only had 4 hours of sleep and had to get up to catch an early flight. Over priced!

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Rooms are clean and adequate. Location is everything. Concierge was helpful.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I asked man at front desk if they had coffee or breakfast to which he replied "is this a medical stay?" I say yes my father is in BWH, surgery. So he says "did you book with us or thru a website?" I say website "booking.com" to which he replies " your not elligable to get continental breakfast because you booked thru a website. Next time book thru us" ... really mr insensitivity... ? I just told you my father is in the hospital. Sorry if my family crises doesnt qualify my to get a free coffee . So i reply i certaunly hope there isn't a " next time" also booking.com policy suppet stinks. Original surgery date was moved and booking gave me a hard time to reschedule. Tild me it wss non refundable. Then charged me more monet after an hour on the phone. Never never never again will i ever use booking.com their pilicies are terrible. Bad services and extorted money.

Room was clean. Close to boston hospitals.

It's okay at best
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

The price per night was way to expensive for the type of accommodation.

The proximity to Boston Children's hospital where we had medical appointments with our daughter.

If we have to return, The Inn at Longwood Medical is where we will stay.
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

It's a comfortable place, just a little outdated, very convenient location.

Noah,Facilities Mgr went above and beyond to see that we were comfortable. Rita and Ntalia, in the Longwood Grille,were very pleasant, and efficient. The homemade corned beef hash, the best I've ever had!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Excellent service, wonderful staff, comfy beds and very accommodating when I needed to extend my sta
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Toilets were older style and were very low in height.

It was only two blocks from the hospital where my husband was a patient. Also with the parking ticket I could come and go any time.

Felt it was good value and would stay again if not for the sires
    • Standard Queen Room

Proximity to hospitals meant ambulance sirens blaring during the night.☹️ Sponge pillows. Would have preferred down. Comforter on bed too thin - we were cold

Clean, comfy bed. Check out time good. Nice to have restaurant in hotel and liked the food. Concierge very accommodating

Location was great

The staff was not friendly and didn’t explain how the parking worked so at check out they were very rude and I was held up from my departure.

Location was great

overall a comfortable hotel, good value for money
    • Deluxe Queen Room

only two lifts and one was out of service which meant very long waits. We were on the seventh floor so we couldn't use the stairs with luggage

Staff were welcoming and the hotel was clean and fairly comfortable although the bed had probably seen better days. The hotel is a fair way from the real touristy areas but it is only a five minute walk to the nearest train station

Never again.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Service was rude. Plywood window was awful. Room smelled like mold.

My room had a window removed which was replaced with plywood. A temporary AC was fitted into the window. The plywood was loose and mosquitos were getting in and street noise was loud.

Good place to stay when your mom is in the hospital, but try to book early.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The hvac in the second room I stayed in (I stay in another room there another night earlier in the week) had something wrong with it. It would only go on high whether you had the heat or air conditioning on - you had to have it on because the windows didn't open in that room at all, they did in the other room I stayed. Both these things were a bit of an issue because I prefer to sleep with the windows open. Also - they were completely booked the next night, and I ended up having to stay in Boston when the hospital decided to keep my mom for another day. They don't keep waiting lists, so I had to stay at another hotel within walking distance. It was cheaper and nicer but not as convenient as the Inn at Longwood Medical.

It was less than two blocks from Brigham and Women's hospital, where my mother was being treated. I could visit her easily without having to travel to far.

Most convenient hotel in Longwood area!
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Daily parking rate was $40, with a $25 discounted rate for hospital guests. Brigham & Women's rate was $20/day so we parked in their garage.

Only 5 minutes walk from Brigham & Women's hospital to Longwood Inn. Convenient for my family from FL who booked the room for 6 days. No driving in Boston traffic and they were close enough to the hospital to visit me several times each day while I was recovering from brain surgery at Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Jen Baker at the front desk was amazing ans should be in...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The restaurant staffing was horrendous. The restaurant had the worst service EVER. We enjoyed the breakfast and the food was good once it finally arrived, but they were unsafely staffed and unable to manage the tables that were seated. Many tables with children around us ended up leaving because they had waiting over 30 minutes just for water and coffee.

Jen Baker at the front desk was amazing ans should be in management - she really gets customer service.

Having access to a CVS store and various fast food restaurants on the second floor is convenient.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The housekeeping staff and supervisor are really adamant about getting you out of the rooms early so they can do their cleaning. Be out of your room early or expect a knock on the room door otherwise hang that "Do Not Disturb" card on the door knob if you are planning on staying and don't require any "cleaning". We even had one member of the housekeeping staff snap at us because she "needed to clean" the room. I expected a little better courtesy for their patrons. The air conditioning system seems dated and noisy. The exhaust vent for the bathroom shower/toilet area doesn't work. They don't reserve any of the hotel parking stalls for its patrons even though you have to pay $25 a day for parking. If you leave and return during the day to drop off stuff don't always expect to get a parking stall.

Rooms were clean. The front desk was very attentive regarding a concern for a slowing shower drain. The agent made a call to maintenance immediately. The second floor gains access to the Galleria with its various fast food concessions as well as the Longwood Grill & Bar restaurant. Having a CVS store in the same building is also a plus.

• Deluxe Queen Room

It is in a convenient location to downtown Boston. Good value for money. Not a luxury property, but clean and quiet room, friendly staff, and not a luxury price. I would stay there again.

Great location for the price.
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

Junior suite Was good size, room is quite, beds are good and staff pros. We were 4 nights there however misunderstanding the cleaning request from us...

Disappointed
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel room declarations and booking.com did not match. We booked a double queen rom with 2 beds yet the hotel room descriptions don't match this write up. We had to spend a tremendous amount more for rollaway and adults had to stay in same bed. Completely unsatisfied with this aspect. Probably will use other hotel booking site or go directly to hotel site next time.

I had a comfortable stay and would recommend this place to friends.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room did not have a safe. The staff were courteous but could have been more informative.

The beds were very comfortable. I requested an early check in and I was given that which I appreciated after a long flight. The room had a coffee maker, refrigerator and a microwave oven.

A very comfortable bed in a roomy space, close to Dana-Farber.
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

A lower price would be appreciated.

Right around the corner from Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Makes getting to appointments easy. The King-size bed was wonderfully comfortable, with great linens.

Very comfortable room but thought it may have been a little...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Very comfortable room but thought it may have been a little overpriced. The AC blew right on us despite the fact it was not pointed on us and could not be adjusted.

I found it to be one of the best values for money.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I found it to be one of the best values for money.....I had a good night's sleep every night, and I loved the fact that it was close to many nice restaurants. It is a safe area and quiet in spite of the fact that our room was facing the road. If I am in Boston I will definitely consider staying here again.

Wonderful pleasant stay - was expecting a somber mood based...
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Wonderful pleasant stay - was expecting a somber mood based on some of the reviews, but it was a very nice hotel with all amenities. Very clean and close to food court (yum)! The bed was also very comfortable...I would definitel'y stay here again.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Great location but would be hesitant to book again . . .
    • Deal of the Day

The woman at the desk when I arrived and attempted to check in told me that I did not have a reservation. When I pulled out a copy of my reservation, she wouldn't look at it and kept telling me that I had no reservation. I had to insist that she look at the printed reservation I had before she would do anything but repeat that I had no reservation. Finally she went to check with a manager and eventually came back and told me that I had had a reservation for the day before but that I did not show up so it was canceled. Wrong! Again, I referred her to the copy of the reservation that I was holding in my hand. Boston was in the midst of a very strong rain event, with street flooding, etc., and I had been traveling since early morning and was wet and tired. The prospect of being without a place to stay near the venue where I had to present early the next morning was very unpleasant. With the intervention of the manager, the hotel finally honored the reservation that I had. Turns out there were plenty of rooms available. I have never had such an bad check-in experience before, and I hope that I never do again. I'm not sure that I would ever risk making a reservation at The Inn at Longwood Medical again, which I regret because of its excellent location by Harvard Med. And then there was the elevator problem: There are only two small elevators for the entire hotel and one was out of service the entire time I was there. The wait for the elevator the evening a busload of Japanese tourists arrived was well more than half an hour, as they monopolized the small elevator for a very long time. It was impossible to get on once a few of them had filled the elevator with their many large suitcases and then held it for their traveling companions up and down for many trips. A man who was waiting for the elevator while I was told me that he had been at the hotel six months before and the same elevator was out of service then also.

The location was excellent for me, as I was able to walk to the conference I was attending.

Had all needed for a base to explore Boston without the...
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Noise from ambulances all night. We knew hospital close but didn't know about emergency department.

Had all needed for a base to explore Boston without the in-town price tag.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Good stay for college commencement visit
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

One of the two elevators was not working, and the one working elevator was shared by hotel guests, patrons of the Longwood Galleria, and the hotel service staff.

The queen size beds were soft but supportive, perfect for a good night's sleep. We had room 612, which was near the elevator and the ice machine. The hotel's location was good, everything we needed to go to for Boston University commencement activities was accessed by nearby bus stops, which connected us easily to the T. There were two bus lines, 60 and 65 that took us to the Kenmore Green Line station. The food at the Longwood Grille was surprisingly good. We had the omelet and frittata for breakfast, the short ribs and steak tips for dinner. Everything tasted cooked from scratch, they were not heat in the microwave already prepared frozen entrees. Avoid the pizza though, it was greasy and crunchy. There is a variety of food choices at the Longwood Galleria food court. The line at Dunkin was too long so got coffee at Red Barn Coffee Roasters, glad I did! Really liked the sumac chicken and sides at Sepal, but sadly they closed the Longwood Galleria location. The parking was $25 a day for hotel guests, which was reasonable for Boston, and there was a parking lot attendant 24/7 to guide you into the stall, or even park your car for you. Housekeeping was good, response to my requests for extra towels and coffee (Keurig pods) was swift.

convenient, but noisy
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

It was somewhat noisy being near several hospitals to sirens and helecopters coming and going

Convenient location, easy walking distance to several hospitals and a food court in the same building.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Overall a fabulous clean and friendly hotel. Very comfortable atmosphere.
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

Our fridge door was loose. We did not have a great view.

I love how spacious the suites are and how clean it is. There is very ample lighting as well. Having a fridge in the room helped so much. I will stay again. Wonderful staff.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Comfortable room and friendly staff.

Minus: AC did not work well Not cost effective

Comfortable room and friendly staff. Location is not central but easy access through public transportation.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Terrible because of noise problem.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

This hotel has a terrible noise problem. The back-side which is said to be 'quiet' has enormous noise due to ventilation of adjacent buildings. I needed my noise-cancelling headphones which I use to sleep on long-haul flights to get some rest. The street side still has a fainter humming noise plus street noise (which was more bearable). Overall accommodation is antiquated. Management should invest in refurbishing + look for sources of internal humming noise + double set of windows as is often found in hotels in noisy city areas. This hotel probably only survives because of its location in midst of medical area and relatively cheap price.

Staff permitted me to change room 3 times because of noise problem, which was finally unresolved.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Terrific staff, spotless room, quiet, convenient
    • Deal of the Day

Immaculate, fantastic staff: Alexandra, Tarik, Angel, Noah. Room very quiet, close to hospital and restaurants. Wonderful overall experience. Highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Staff was very nice.
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

need new fawcets in the shower/tub. tub did not drain well in 837. under the toilet rim needed cleaning(837)

Staff was very nice. Restaurant staff nice in spite of being slammed with business due to storm.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

The overall decor was very dark.
    • Deal of the Day

Lotion and shower cap not provided. No freezer in frig. Only one decaf pod. Tub drain, no screens to catch dropped items.

The overall decor was very dark. The bed was very comfortable. Staff were very polite and helpful.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Rooms are small not suites
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

The pictures are not the room you get. The room is tiny and hard to move in. Long stay for medical treatment made it very inconvenient

The room in itself Was subpar

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Terrific stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Restaurant closed early - we were coming from a show about 11:45 and we were looking to have a cocktail at the Inn bar

Staff was very friendly and helpful! Rooms were clean - location was excellent! The restaurant food was delicious and the waitstaff was very nice

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Eeekkk! A mouse
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Mouse in room , dirty shower, from shower next door backing up into mine. They changed rate from what was agreed to on check in. As a patient at the hospital next door, I was told I would get the patient rate but they didn't give it to me

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Didn't sleep well which is not good when you are going in for surgery the next day.
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

We paid for a mini suite with a king bed and got a queen bed. Bed was too soft. Not a good night

Location. We were treated so well by Noah at the front desk. He couldn't do enough for my handicapped husband and me!!!!

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Not happy with temperature of the room!
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

The room and the bathroom were quite small. The heat in our room was set on 74 degrees and we were told it could not be changed! A fan was brought up to help cool off the room! Not acceptable. I will probably not stay here again.

Location was perfect for our trip to visit a friend in the hospital.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Hospital visitors get discount, but not from book.com
    • Deluxe Queen Room

We were touted by book.com for a room, but what was not explained is that the hotel offers a discount for patrons on a medical/surgical appointment at Beth Israel Hospital. We learned at the hotel, and it cost us an extra $300 in room rent. Never book.com again.

The hotel was close to Beth Israel Hospital, where we were going. Parking was adjacent and reasonable in that parking in Boston is always a problem and expensive.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Very convenient and staff were helpful if a little curt.
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Room wasn't super-clean: Floor needed vacuum and walls/floor of bathroom had a few hairs indicating needed a vacuum or wipe. But wasn't gross or anything.

Very convenient and staff were helpful if a little curt.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Staff was very accommodating - we needed a mini fridge and a...

No complaints.

Staff was very accommodating - we needed a mini fridge and a crib, they brought us extra towels each day, the bed was perfect, the staff helped us with laundry, we were close to Children's hospital…Perfect location for our trip and perfect place to stay!No

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

Just location,,next the hospital
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Average hotel, The entrance is old dated, stinky

Just location,,next the hospital

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

good

nope

good

Was very clean and tidy!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Was very clean and tidy! The staff was very friendly as well! We traveled with two small children and the staff was so accommodating!

• Deluxe Two Queen Room

Must have been doing renovations wallpaper hanging off wall

• Deluxe Queen Room

It’s old and there was a skunky smell in the corridor

Terrible: wont stay again nor recommend to anyone
    • Standard Queen Room

Poor rooms which need a lot of upgrading . Not a good facility. No gym. WIFI kept disconnecting

Almost nothing

Location to the hospitals
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Having an exhaust fan in the bathroom, room got very steamy.

Location being around the different hospitals, all within walking distance.

great location but room needs update.
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

The carpet of the room was old and looked dirty. Most of all, my room was so dark and depressing.

Location, staff and view

Location, staff and view

Everything went well there for my grandson graduation for collegs, in walking distace
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Room clean, everything nic e bed comfortab le

Clean, good value, great location

Clean

Trip To Boston
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel is not very modern , I do not like the style.

Good position , relatively close to downtown .

• Deluxe Two Queen Room

Water in sink never got hot Room small

Location Desk lighting Restaurant Prompt room service

It was for medical reasons so there isn't much more to say.
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

The food in the Grille compared to our last stay was overpriced and substandard.

The beds were great.

I requested a room with two queen size beds and I believe I...
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

I requested a room with two queen size beds and I believe I was given a room with two full size beds.

Affordable and great location to hospitals
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

The property is older, but well kept. I did not like discinfectant smell in halls

Great location!!! Reasonable price. Comfy beds.

Very convenient location to medical facilities
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Loud exhaust fan outside our room.

Bed was very comfortable

No problems

Price

bartender was rude

bartender was rude

nothing, just the location.
    • Deal of the Day

It smelled funny, was dirty.

nothing, just the location.

The hallways smell like hospital.
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

The hallways smell like hospital. Beside that it I was very good.

Did not like having to pay past noon for parking.
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Did not like having to pay past noon for parking. Did not like that we could not have same $25 fee for our second car. 4 people stay we had 2 cars.

Comfortable place with friendly and helpful staff.

Nothing really!

For us we didn't expect any more than a place to sleep. It was comfortable and the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful.

Great place, great location and loved the food court, loved...
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Great place, great location and loved the food court, loved everything about it! :)

very calm and clean.

very calm and clean.

EXCELLENT

NOTHING

Front desk staff were AWESOME!!!!!!!

Convenient for us
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Decor dull and poor lighting

Large room

Good value if going to Fenway/longwood area

Very comfortable bed

Great place to stay while visiting Boston
    • Deluxe Two Queen Room

Three adults, three full size beds and sleeper sofa in room 526. Great value for the $$$

Nice!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Nice and friendly assistance by hotel clerks.

The place worked great for us, other than the parking garage issue.
    • Deal of the Day

Getting in and out of the garage was an issue -- system didn't work, staff was confused about handling it.

Great location, good price.