Reviews of Best Western Historic Frederick 2 stars

420 Prospect Boulevard, Frederick, MD 21701, USA

#9 of 22 hotels in Frederick

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No parking the night we were there. Zero. No available spots at all. Tons of trucks and trailers taking up multiple spots. Every space was filled. Had to park illegally in a “no parking” area.

Be careful coming back late at night - the parking lot gets full and you have to resort to street parking or parking along the entrance by the pool. I'm sure we didn't have to, but just let the front desk know where you car is before to head in just to make sure it's ok.

This was my 2nd stay here and it was for a quick reunion trip. We chose this location due to to the closeness to downtown.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

What I didn't like was the fact that it was served on paper or Styrofoam plates and cups with plastic ware. I really dislike it a great deal when hotels or motels do this instead of using real plates and cutlery. Perhaps it is for convenience and expense but to me it is not worth it. It would be a deciding factor for me on whether or not I would choose to stay there again.

There was a good variety for breakfast. Food was warm. It was kept well supplied.

The mattress was the worst one I have ever slept on cheap very uncomfortable will not stay there again because of that.. Location and staff were good.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Very small bathroom and TV on on bad news all the time. I’m on a weekend break from craziness. Getting up and have breakfast over bad news is not what I want. There are better options than that.

No fruits for breakfast except some old oranges (hard to peel them with plastic utensils) and some old apples.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

there was NO room in the bathroom for toiletries; very difficult, even for one night.

It was an affordable, convenient one night stop outside of Frederick.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

At the parking area in the back there is a strong trash smell, i reserve a king bed with sofa bed room but the sofa bed did not had fitted sheets or cover just plain mattress and no pillows. The room is small for 6 people the sofa bed take 75% of the walk space between bed and bathroom, there is no elevator, overall the stay could be a motel price.

The room had a microwave.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I didn't realize when I booked that we were on the second floor and that there was no elevator. We had a number of bags. To their credit, however, and without asking, they sent staff to help us take the bags upstairs.

good value for the money. Nothing fancy but clean and beds were good. Free breakfast was simple but good.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

This was a basic hotel but also a very simple check in process. The layout was a little annoying because the hotel was very long however there were multiple side entrances to access your room a bit more easily. Once in the room, it was very clean, nice and comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Unable to find any faults.

The staff, Bobby and Teresa, were very friendly and helpful. The room and beds were clean, spacious, quiet and comfortable. The location to I-70 was very convenient for our travels north. The breakfast offered a variety of hot food and the room was very clean and roomy.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bathroom was not 100 pecents clean. In Booking did not stated this hotel is currently remodeling.

Front desk was very friendly and welcome when we walked in.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Bathroom really small but sink is in the room so ok.

This room had s couch that made into a bed - plus the king bed. So it was nice to have a couch to watch tv and eat dinner and relax on. Didn’t even use it for a bed but it was great having a couch. Room was nicely furnished and pretty large.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

What a nice hotel, the direct TV was great, the shower was good with plenty of hot water, though, I wish these hotels would INSTALL some kind of safety bar to help get out of the tub. Then the breakfast was really wonderful. the o.j was good and cold and I liked the sausage and eggs. My mother liked the cereal and toast. We will be back!! CC

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Everything! It smelled sooo great! It was really clean. Staff were super friendly and accommodating. I would stay again and I highly recommend them. They truly appreciate you staying with them and know how to treat there guests..

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Dirty, no reliable maid service, took dirty towels but did not replace with clean. For a king room, bathroom was so small, couch was filthy. Said I put a Do Not Disturb sound. Did not.

Cheap

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I stayed in a room with 4 adult women friends. I assumed the room would have queen size beds. The room did not--full beds. Since we were staying just one night, we made it work, but it would have been a lot more comfortable to have had queen size beds.

Proximity to the tourist area.

I accidentally double booked god hotel. When I told the girl at the front desk that I needed to cancel the second reservation becaus eI obviously didn’t need 2 rooms she just giggled and didn’t help me at al. There is no elevator which would have been nice to know before booking. It would be nice to be contacted to get the refund I am owed. I have been emailing this property for nearly 2 weeks.

The breakfast was very clean, had a good variety and was delicious.

The continental breakfast was good. Lots of choice. Pleasant breakfast eating area. Our room was a good size and the bed comfortable. We felt it was very good value for a night on the road.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The accommodations were less than average. The "double" beds in the room were hard on our backs and were quite small, more like a full size bed. The bathroom was separated into a very small space with the tub/shower and toilet and the sink was outside in the main part of the room. Kind of awkward when staying with small kids and I needed to change clothes. No elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage good luck if you get a room on the second floor.

The staff was helpful, they had breakfast included but didn't try it.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There was construction going on the sidewalks and they were not very cautious of the surroundings. I had a cement truck parked so close to my car I could barely get in the car. Then the next morning, pieces of wood with rusty nails were just laying in the parking lot.

Accommodations were good, room was clean and the staff was very friendly. You have to drive to downtown but very close.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

entire room needs updated....paint, wallpaper,carpet. The bathroom was extremely small. Not sure if air conditioning was working properly, room had a musty smell.

Our towlet broke.

It was very comfortable. Everything was great. I would definitely recommend this place. I think the price is just right for the comfort. If it goes any higher I won't stay tho. I'm not high maintenance.

Bathroom was tiny, sink area very small and outside bath and no stopper in the sink making it necessary to continually run water to wash your face, hands and to shave. Very wasteful and inconvenient.

Bedroom was clean and quite large, amenities were very good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I had called the front desk for more towels, the man said what was given should be plenty, and I could not get any more towels. I was infuriated.

Affordable

Can't think of a thing.

The staff were extremely helpful, the room was nice & the pillows were great. the hotel was in a great location as well.

No suggestions because I was very pleased!

I have stayed at this property at least 5x. Nice staff & location is near historic Frederick. Always have been pleased!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The tub has layers coming off from the bottom, it's black. The bathroom is very small, you literally can't close the door unless you go behind the toilet. It probably uses 6gal of water per flush. We didn't feel very safe.

Probably most affordable. The breakfast was average like any other hotel.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Rooms were not clean and the facility smelled old and musty. The pull-out bed was covered in dirt and debris. There was hair in the bathtub. The bed linens had unidentifiable stains on them, obviously not washed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast could definitely use some improvement.

It was exactly what I expected, a clean no frills room. Quiet great for catching a couple hours sleep while on the road. Frint desk was efficient and cooperative.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Breakfast room is a little small when the hotel is filled.

Eggs were dry but OK. Rooms were clean and nice sized. Outside grounds were neatly kept and pool was clean and really nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

DO NOT appreciate being woken up at 8:30 AM Sunday morning by housekeeping on the day I am leaving. I did not expect a visit from housekeeping when checkout is at 11 AM. Was told by the front desk that this is policy.....if it is, would prefer to be warned at check in so that I can place the the do not disturb sign on the door.

Free breakfast, room was clean and ready

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The price seemed a bit high for what we got. The hotel is also a bit off from the historic Frederick and the larger shopping areas - though it was conveniently on the way to Gettysburg. The hotel does not have an elevator, so we had to carry heavy suitcases up one flight of stairs.

The room was spacious and clean. The breakfast was really nice for a hotel in this category.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Beds were very uncomfortable; older hotel possibly needs some upgrading but clean and sufficient. Front desk staff at check in not very knowlegable.

It was conveniently located for easy on/off access when traveling. Continental breakfast was good and breakfast staff very nice and accommodating. Rooms were adequate for the price.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Ridiculously small bathroom! Would be very difficult if staying w/several family members or large people.

Comfy beds, pillows. Adequate breakfast. Helpful staff.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I can't really say anything negative about this place. You seem to have good people working there and they keep things clean and enjoyable.

The room was very clean and we slept pretty well. The breakfast was wonderful and the staff kept the food trays well stocked. The dining room was not overcrowded either, but had adequate seating.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I just didn't like the smell of the carpet in the hallway.

The room was clean and had enough space for our family needs. The breakfast was great for the price we paid!

What we didn't like was my husbands credit card that was used to pay for the room was also fraudulently used to purchase 400.00 at Outback Steakhouse in MD & 400.00 at an online auto parts company. That card was used strictly for the room. It had to be copied at the hotel. Yes the credit card company thank goodness flagged it, called my husband & cancelled that card.

The convenience of location

Non functioning soda machines.

Comfy beds. Great TV channels. Better than 90% of places I've stayed. Breakfast was just great. We all enjoyed it and ate our fill. The pool was very fun.

I had asked for mouthwash, wet ones in my room upon arrival...didn't get either. After check-in I was told I'd have to walk back outside to get into my car and drive around the building to get to my room - which I didn't have to do, but the walk from the front desk to my room was quite far. There were stains on the top comforter on the bed. The furniture in my room was all crooked and turned in weird directions. I called front desk in the morning to ask for toothpaste...they said they had it but that I'd have to walk all the way to the front desk to get it because the employee said he couldn't leave the front desk (although, when I eventually did go to get it, there was an individual from the cleaning crew hanging around the front desk...she could've brought me toothpaste). I had friends that stayed in 2-3/5 star hotels nearby like the Motel 8...I was paying twice the price, but their rooms were the same quality, if not better, than this Best Western. I'm ashamed that I paid over $100 for one night here, and I won't be back again.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Horrible experience. Room smelled like stale cigarettes, walls were so thin you can hear people talking in the next room, comforter dirty, bathroom was tiny.

Absolutely nothing!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Our room was non-smoking, but I could smell cigarette smoke within the building itself (upon entering the building on the 1st floor). Also, no elevators, all stairs. Not helpful when you have a young child & a bit of luggage to carry.

The breakfast was great, room was great. The bed's were squeaky but comfy. Staffiliate were polite & friendly. Hotel is right in front of highways 270 & 70, but local roads are behind it. The noise wasn't as bad. I was able to check in before 12pm, even though it's not til 3pm. Not many eat eateries around. Would highly recommend.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Alea, Sales Manager, was rude. An incident occurred and she had no idea what happen and tried to intimidate my husband, friends and I. We did nothing wrong but she wanted to kick US out. Never go there again.

The room, the breakfast and the hotel on a whole was fine.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Smallest bathroom ever seen.

Location close to historic Frederick and freeways. Nice to have a large refrigerator and a microwave. Menus for delivery and nearby restaurants was a nice addition to room book.

It was all good

The room was nicely appointed , loved the look and size. We asked for a king size bed ground floor and that was what we received. Easy access, breakfast was delish loved the fact they had sausage links Just very nicely operated.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was too close to where folks go outside to smoke. The bedsheets and the room smelled heavily of smoke. My kids were very bothered by the smell. The front clerk wasn't helpful at all.

Room had a cigarette odor, bed scarf was dirty, not just stains, but dirty. Shower curtain had black stains on it and holes. When you were on the toilet, you better have the door shut because if someone opens the main room door, you will be seen. Walls too thin between rooms.

I don't think there was anything!

Our car was sideswiped while we were sleeping. No note was left. Manager said they checked their video, but it was too grainy to tell.

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

The rooms could have been cleaner and the hallways smelled like smoke. The place definitely needs some remodeling. This place is not to the high standards as other Best Westetns that I have stayed at.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

On my arrival the room hadn't even started to be cleaned. I left to run an errand. On my return the room smelled musty like mold and mildew. After the A.C. was on a while the smell lessened but was still noticeable. Disappointed.

Personnel

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Don't ever get room 253 it's next to the fitness room! Other hotel guests think that it's perfectly okay to go run on the treadmill at 4:30 am on Sunday. Everything on the room was shaking. Lamp shades, refrigerator, coffee maker and the beds. Horrible location for a guest room better suited for storage. I can only imagine being under the fitness room at 4:30 am!

Very clean hotel with friendly staff. Breakfast was way better than expected.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It could have been a little cleaner, but it didn't bother my husband at all. I just thought if it were my house and someone cleaned it, I would not have been happy. Then again I'm a little more particular than most people. Walls were also paper thin, but not much you can do about that.

Location was good; easy to find. Staff was friendly and helpful. Not the best place we've ever stayed but okay. Bathrooms were a little small, but worked out fine. Free breakfast was perfect -- hot and delicious.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No Elevator made getting heavy suitcase upstairs difficult. (As it would a stroller)....first floor rooms were available but were pet rooms and hall smelled like cigarette smoke. Upstairs was clean.

Bed was so comfy. Pillows were ok. Breakfast was very good. Location near highway was convenient but no traffic noise! Value for money paid made it just right!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Upon check in we were sent to a musty smelling room with a king bed. We booked a room with double beds. Fortunately our room was switched. However the air conditioner did not work properly. Other problem was a soccer team that also booked while we were there. The parents drank and carried on very loudly in the lobby while their kids ran all over the hotel. This went on until at least midnight.

We booked the rooms at a reasonable cost.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Often smelled heavy cigarette smoke in the hallway. Housekeeping talked too loud in the hallway while cleaning and we were still in bed.

Nothing impressed us exceptionally

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Tried to charge us more money when we were checking out, thankfully I had a copy of my booking.com confirmation email with the price. Came home and went to check my credit card only to find out i was separately charged an extra $6 for no reason. Bathroom's were TINY, had to keep the door open to do anything. Room smelled. The "locked" door into the building which you need a key to open was never closed (lock broken). When we tried to get back into our room our key had stopped working so we had to go get another one. I've stayed at other Best Westerns and have had a lovely time. This is far below my other experiences.

Close to downtown

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Toilet/bath off entrance was tight. Maybe better soap.

Bed, feather pillows. Thanks for no duvet on bed as they are too hot. Not sure why so many chains thinks they are great. Very clean room. Breakfast was well laid out, potatoe patty was good choice as well as the sausage which were done nicely.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

A/C unit was very noisy and the room had a strong smell of men's cologne when we first arrived in the room. The smell dimished thru time.

Beds were comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

even though it we went at 9:30, the staff kept track of the quantity of food and brought out more when eggs/sausage etc were out. Cleaning staff were very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not enough breakfast juice choices; I would prefer real eggs as opposed to egg substitutes. I know it's easier to whip up the egg substitute but in terms of quality, you can't beat the real thing.

Friendly staff; needed a late check out and they were more than willing to accommodate us; clean room; comfortable bed; really good hot breakfast

• King Room - Smoking

My confirmed booking was for a King - smoking. Told not available on arrival. After some discussion I was given King Suite - smoking. Told I could not have printed receipt on checkout. After some discussion I finally received a receipt.

Easy access to interstate. Bed comfy.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom was really small. It helped that the sink was outside the bathroom but still was really small.

The food at breakfast was super good and stqrted early.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

The bathroom is a bit tight, but we weren't spending much time in the bathroom. :)

The location is perfect from downtown Frederick and it's close to a supermarket and CVS in case you need some last minute items. The breakfast (waffles, eggs, sausage, hash browns, coffee, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt) was a great bonus as it saved us from having to buy breakfast out. The rooms also have fridges & microwaves in case you have leftovers from lunches and dinner out. Everything was very convenient.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Workers were talking loudly outside our room at 7am and woke me up. The fire alarm in our room went off when my daughter was in the shower. Not sure why that would happen and the bed linens could use some updating.

it was clean and friendly

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

Difference between my "confirmed" room and the room they initially wanted to give me. Initially charged more than "confirmed" price. Room was noisy re: location to interstate (thought window was open). Checked with front desk about my return trip booking ... I was told they do not have room I booked!

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

You did not correctly list my name in the system'; and so the staff could not find my room upon arrival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily I printed off the intinerary from you but it took a while to confirm the room even with that!

Coffee was good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom was tiny. I was in a non-smoking room, but the hallway smelled like smoke. The breakfast was awful.

The room was clean. The staff was polite.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

• The door half way down the hall leading to the parking lot was broken and accessible to anyone who wanted to come in. • There's a sign on the breakfast counter indicating the availability of gluten and dairy free foods upon request. When we asked, we were told we could have dry cheerios. • We had to ask the people across the hall to quiet down at about 1am and then we had to call the front desk to ask that they have the people upstairs stop their party - at 3am.

The staff are EXCEPTIONALLY friendly - every single person from the front desk, to maintenance, to housekeeping, make a concerted effort to greet you each time they see you. They also respond to guest requests immediately.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The Televidion ( (Cable)) was bare minimal for the rate paid , requested sheets for pull out sofa be left when Housekeeping came in and they forgot. Had to go pick up at front desk bare minimal food choices for breakfast on Sat. But they had more offerings on Sunday ( day I checked out). I was also charged a Eco Plan fee of $2 a day. Which the agent kindly removed from my bill. Remember!!! Always check your Bill upon checkout!!

I reserved through Booking.com. I requested bottom floor! Which I did get but I also requested that the room have extra towels, washcloths etc which it did not.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Over the course of our three stays, we've had one quite comfortable bed, one that was satisfactory, and one that was not at all comfortable. I'd love to see this hotel upgrade its beds. But overall, I would still give this hotel a good rating given the comparably lower price.

This is our third stay at this location and we are always satisfied. It's clean, the breakfast is hot and hearty and it's in close proximity to Hood college. Don't expect fancy extras, but this is a good value for a satisfying night's sleep with a good quality morning meal.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Pillows could be more comfortable and the shower still had another guest's hair on the wall. The AC system couldn't bring the room temperature down low enough so I had to open the window at night. It would be nice to have a night light of some sort in the bathroom because it was pretty much pitch black at night.

Free breakfast was nice and convenient. Fast, trouble-free check-in and out.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The bathroom was like being crowed into a elevator with shrinking walls. there wasn't enough room between the toilet and the wall to get the toilet paper off the roll.

the bed was firm .the room was quiet. the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Bathroom was cramped. The parking lot isn't big enough so we had to park in an overflow area and carry all our stuff. It wasn't a huge walk, just inconvenient with luggage.

The room was quiet, clean and mostly comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We had to ask for staff to finish cleaning the room two out of three days. Very loud maintenance on room next to our started about 10 A.M. On a Sunday morning.

Staff was very cordial. Nice continental breakfast.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Room was next to a busy highway. The booking.com reservation didn't register to the hotel and I was charged twice. I had to call the hotel to receive a refund. Both amounts were different. Of course, I was charged the higher amount. There was no elevator in the building.

Clean room

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

...nothing you can do about it because it is an old facility...I HATED the bathroom...it was the smallest I have ever encountered, and the sink was in a place that gave NO privacy

great breakfast, comfy bed,