Reviews of Best Western Plus Hill House 3 stars

700 Truxtun Avenue, Bakersfield, CA 93301, USA

#24 of 55 hotels in Bakersfield

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

Pretty much what you would expect for an economy hotel.

Pretty tight on the breakfast rules. Door for my room was outside the secure door.

For the free breakfast, you get milk, orange juice or coffee but NOT TWO!

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

It is a good budget hotel but if homeless people make you uncomfortable, don't stay here.

The property itself isn't that great. It has a weird set up where the rooms are in a separate buildings that aren't attached to the office. We did have a few run ins with homeless people on the property, and a few were camped out in the back but on the other side of the fence. My friend chose not to stay after the homeless people approached her.

The free breakfast was actually not that bad, and I liked that they had servers. The business class room was pretty nice for what we paid. The staff was reassuring and helpful. Good customer service!

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Perfect for our needs.

Nowhere to go for a walk as there were a few people hanging around the area outside the hotel.

The restaurant served lovely food/drink for dinner and breakfast. Very friendly. Room was fine for us as we were just breaking up our journey for the night.

Motel not a hotel

The restaurant was closed (closes at 2pm on Sunday???) The pool was dirty, the room had a fusty smell. The breakfast was greasy and the breakfast waitress had no customer care skills

It was cheap

It was really hot in Bakersfield, so we appreciated the pool...

It was really hot in Bakersfield, so we appreciated the pool and AC. Breakfast was in the hotel restaurant, just typical American menu to choose from.

Beds were comfy.

Ghetto!!!! Crackheads and homeless people wandering the property harassing guests. Staff seems indifferent about it

Beds were comfy. Breakfast was awesome

I made alot of money
    • King Room-Disabilty Access

I didn't like that they questioned every tweeker that cane to see me

Really nothing just that I got to do my drug transactions without them bothering me

I am glad it was only one night, people were nice, but that is all I can say.

See other comment.

I liked the pillows. I did not think this hotel was worth what it was rated. The restaurant connected to it is where you eat breakfast, and that was not impressive either.

Very clean hotel for one night

Breakfast was included, but you have to choose if you want a cup of coffee or a juice. If you want both, you‘ve got to pay 2$. Come on, it‘s just 1 coffee/juice.

Large, quiet and clean rooms.

Don’t recommend this , especially for the price

After checking in I walked across parking lot to the building where the rooms are located. Upon entering it immediately smelled like urine. Very unpleasant. My room also smelled bad. Very rough sheets, caused itching. Location is near bail businesses and not too far from detention center.

Reception and Restaurant staff friendly

The staff was good and reacted well about the bad food and...

Our room was too close to the ice maker. Needs to be some hours of use or something so that it is not waking us up at 6 in the morning. The restaurant was really bad. Bad food and service and was not too clean either. Took 20 mins just to get de-caf coffee one of the mornings.

The staff was good and reacted well about the bad food and service at the restaurant. It was connected to but not part of the hotel.

Couldn’t wait to leave in the morning

From 8:00pm-1:00am someone went in and out of the outside door by our room and let the door slam both ways, then proceeded to smoke which kept coming into our room. For it being a non smoking room that was annoying, but the worst was we had been driving since 5:00am and every time we started to fall asleep another door slam would wake us up. Also the room next to us the gentleman in there kept coughing and gaging which was hard to listen too all night and morning. BTW this is my first time giving a bad review.

Vinyl flooring instead of carpets and shutters on windows instead of drapes

Restaurant is worth the hotel visit.

Some areas needed extra cleaning attention. Overflow of trash outside my entrance into building (lots offlys). Ice machine was out of ice.

Enjoyed the water stream. Some of the staff was pleasant.

Nothing wrong at all with our stay. Great staff. But overpriced for what else is out there.

For the price, I didn't think it compares well to other, superior hotels in the immediate area. For example, this one's priced similar to the Marriott (which is right across the street), and doesn't offer nearly the same experience.

Bed was great. Room was clean.

Overall, this was a good value for the money. We would stay there again.
    • King Room-Disabilty Access

The lobby did not open until 6:30.

The bed was really comfortable, but it was too soft for my husband. I liked that there was a restaurant and lounge on the property and that it is within walking distance of downtown stores and the ice skating, aquatic center.

Best choice in Bakersfield

The breakfast is served at the Mexican restaurant and is not very continental, I even didn't get a cappuccino. Anyway what I got was good!

The room was really nice and big, with sofa and small table, plus a desk, TV and still lot of space. Moreover, it was really new and well furnished. There is a Mexican restaurant close to the hotel, not bad and nice personnel.

Most Excellent!
    • King Room-Disabilty Access

I had an excellent stay and I have no dislikes.

I liked the fact that it was a pet friendly hotel, even though I did not have a pet with me. The decor of the room was pleasant and the bed was very comfortable.

Love the downtown/quiet location; off the freeway noise!

Did not like that they no longer had the breakfast area we experienced prior. We went to the Mexican restaurant next door with a morning-limited menu (ok). Only problem was no matter what we ordered, everything tasted like Mexican food (grease the eggs were fried in, for example; oatmeal smelled like tacos). Bring back the old breakfast bar/serve yourself. We usually stay here. Lastly, the night before we left a patron in the above room checked out immediately due to infestation of "bed bugs!" (we saw them) Our room was fine, as was our other family member's room. That is too bad because they have just remodeled rooms. Also not sure if those rooms (for animals) could have brought in the bed bugs! (just curious) Thanks!

Coffee was good.

Good stay, nice room just not an accessible room.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Roll-In Shower

Accessible room isn’t accessible for me: can’t safely step into the tub and getting out of the tub would be impossible. And with only a short grab bar it’s not helpful—there needs to be grab bars for getting in & out. Someone in a wheelchair would not be able to use this room— no way to get up to the sink or easily transfer to the toilet. This room is not accessible.

Didn’t have breakfast yet. Dinner last night was outstanding!

Great Hotel- Pet Friendly with Breakfast Included

Not being familiar with Bakersfield we didn't know what to expect. The area driving in was shady and seedy. Fortunately the area where the hotel is located is about 3 blocks within the area where the city is revitalizing. This hotel is located right across the street from the Amtrak station. The grounds are immaculate and the hotel is well taken care of. We especially liked Rebecca at the front desk. She spent time with our pet, playing with her and getting to know her! The room was modern, clean, and bright. The restaurant next door, Manuel's Casa de Mariscos, although a separate entity from the hotel, provides a full breakfast which was also a pleasant surprise!. Apparently they have been providing meal service for the past year. The food was great and the staff friendly. This hotel and restaurant are worth the trip!

It served the purpose of a one-night stay on our way home.
    • King Room-Disabilty Access

Key card access to building required several attempts each time you went in. Also room was near outside seating where people sat and smoked and talked.

Very spacious room. My husband is in a wheelchair and there was room for him to move around! Most handicap rooms do not allow this.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Cleanliness of carpet in room was bad. Fan in bathroom was very noisy. A/C was very noisy. Inside hallway smelled awful. Smokers sat at entrance to building. Microwave oven in room did not work. The water in the pool looked dirty, did not swim.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Proximity to downtown good.

Excellent!!

Hated the lighting over the sink. Hard to put makeup on with it. Everything else A1.

It was perfect after a long drive and the breakfast was great. Thanks!!

2nd stay and still awesome

The colection of people who walked past- but you get that any where.

This was our 2nd stay. They allowed us to bring our dog. The pool was nice and we loved the restaurant!

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

All in all, the room was excellent.

Too many homeless people loitering around Mill Creek. We felt threatened.

The elderly waitress was rude and mean to us although she was very kind to the elderly male customers.

nice place to stay, breakfast is order off the menu.

the shower area in bathroom was very dark and shampoo, etc was in containers attached to wall was very funky smelling. a couple of the hallways smelled of mildew

nice place to stay, breakfast is order off the menu.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

disappointing for a Best Western

I am pretty tolerant towards hotel rooms and food, I only expect a decent bed to sleep and a quiet, clean room. I usually like Best Western Hotels, they have good service for an ok price. However, this place was disappointing in a couple of points. the bed was really uncomfortable, higher in the middle than at the sides. I guess it was not assembled correctly. also, the fridge contained lots of bottles and food from the previous person, and was apparently not cleaned. Last, the scrambled eggs of the breakfast were all grey and super dry. No idea what happened to those. I am not picky with free food, but could not eat these.

our chamber was pretty new, the bathroom / sink was nice.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Not the best neighborhood.
    • King Room-Disabilty Access

I was told I couldn't get credit on my best western account upon check in because I booked on an outside website. Even after I explained that the best western site wouldn't take my reservation several times. However the next morning the front desk did register it for me.

The Mexican restaurant staff were friendly and food was good too.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Top Notch Ladiez Bakersfield Weekend ;-)

What I didn’t like was that HORRIBLE urine stench when first walking up to the hotel to check in!!! I also did like that the very thin woman stopped what she was doing to get a box off the counter and didn’t acknowledge me...Just walked off... I also did not understand with 4 to a room why did we ONLY have 2 sets of towels and when calling to the front desk for more...The larger woman of the two said, “Well, you can come to the front and pick them up.” Isn’t a hotel supposed to provide “room service?!” HMPH!!! We were in the hotel building in the “back” off 17th and upon walking up to the door to get to the rooms my sister said, the exact SAME on that end about the HORRIBLE urine stench!!! Personally, I would get rid of the greenery around there if THAT’S a big problem...Cement all that and find another attractive landscaping...jmo The last thing which is VERY minor, but that do NOT disturb sign falls off each time you open and close the door, because of the split in the door plaques now...Annoying, but again minor...Oh and check out time should be 12...Just a thought :-)

I liked that the room was very clean upon entering and the bathroom was clean which is a VERY big concern of mine...NOT enough lighting in the actual restroom, but I’m still going to say it was rather very clean...I liked the shutters for the window opposed to curtains that attract so much dust...That was a VERY nice feature to say the least...The bed was very crisp and made to perfection with the lined fluffy pillows as well as comfortable. I do wish that in this day of age the carpet was hardwood floor, but I do believe the carpet was rather clean, so I wont cry over spilled milk on that one. I enjoyed the Mexicali restaurant that was walking distance. My sisters enjoyed the taco joint just around the corner over the bridge. I just didnt like the aggressive panhandlers over the bridge, but all in all cool area.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Comfortable room but a bit noisy

Room had random weird noises all night- sort of like someone playing basket ball in the hallway. The running water noises from the room next door were extremely loud.

Bed was comfortable, room was dark and great for sleeping.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Decent hotline a quite boring location

It is a middle-of-nowhere kind of location. The hotel building also seems a bit outdated when you enter, although the themselves rooms are pretty normal.

Quite a good breakfast, for american standards. Also, breakfast was actually in a nice and not too crowded room.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Great for Famoso Raceway.

The staff in the restaurant were friendly but we felt rushed as they were closing up, it was only 9pm. We walked across the road to the Marriott the following night.

Room was as expected. Good parking.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Bakersfield two day stay

Mattress not the most comfortable and room smelt a bit musty

Staff are friendly and helpful, location not too bad (although a bit isolated from shops - need a car really to access things)

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

Great Stay on Way to a Wedding!

Pet friendly, comfortable room and ability to grab a bite to eat was wonderful.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Newly remodeled, very clean.

Staff was very friendly. Property is gated so very secure.

Newly remodeled, very clean.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Good!

?

Quiet room! Nice!

Fine for what we wanted.

Location isn’t great.

Hotel’s Mexican restaurant was delicious although if you don’t like Mexican food there was very little/no alternative.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Not recommend

Not very comfortable facilities, very noisy ac. Hotel staff was not easy to deal with and sometimes unpolite.

The worst thing is the breakfast: a coffee and two slices of...

The worst thing is the breakfast: a coffee and two slices of old bread. The room was big but very noisy and not too much clean

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

We were just on a one night layover but were surprised at the quality of this hotel

Nothing at all

Great room with comfortable bed. Very clean and spacious. Staff were great

Check in staff was super helpful

The bed was so hard i used landscape rocks to soften it up

Check in staff was super helpful

Excellent stopover on the way to Las Vegas.

Modern room style. Clean. Appeared to be quite new / recently renovated. Pool. Breakfast made to order. Very good value for money.

Nice looking place

Nice looking place

$20. a nite for our little non shedding dog is too expensive.

$20. a nite for our little non shedding dog is too expensive. booking should let you know what the pet is.

could improve breakfast

could improve breakfast

Friendly staff.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Roll-In Shower

Ok as an overnight stop but not a tourist destination.

Friendly staff. Outside pool.

I would definitely stay again if I needed to

N/a

The restaurant attached to hotel served good breakfast and very friendly staff

Everything was very clean and neat

Ok

Everything was very clean and neat Quite

Fine for an one night stay

Perfect location while travelling

Nice location near downtown. Clean and neat hotel

Rancheros heuvos was great...hope I spelled it right. Great breakfasts

Clean comfy

Clean comfy

Awesome

Staff, Alysson wa awesome!

First night at Marriott gratis, covered by sponsor of event and was over 200 a night. This was half.

Staff at front desk needed help. Understaffed. Service was slow.

Great location and great price. Comfortable room.

We had a very quiet & relaxing stay

There was nothing I disliked

The room was very clean

Overall the hotel was a good value and I was happy with my choice.

The hotel is located just on the edge of a of a sketchy section of town.

The hotel itself was very nice, clean and well kept. It is a good value.

Have stayed there many times.This year they are infested with Cockroches

Cockroches

Very lovey, clean, beautiful and the bed was very...
    • King Room-Disabilty Access

Very lovey, clean, beautiful and the bed was very comfortable

Room

Room Restaurant

It was fine for the night en route to our final destination .

The shower was pitiful .

While tasty, i didn’t like the limited choice of breakfast items.

Wonderful place to stay.

The restaurant was great!!!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

would stay here again
    • King Room-Disabilty Access

Staff at the reception were super friendly and helpful. Room was clean, quiet, could not expect more. Breakfast was fresh made and tasted great.

Good value and enjoyable

Not a thing

The outlay the people

Great for a one night stop

Nice room

The room was huge and clean.

That I had to go back home.

The room was huge and clean.

Location of the hotel was great, staff were nice and the included breakfast was nice.

Lovely renovations on older building

Hobos nesrby

Staff breakfast

It was ok

At breakfast I asked for juice and coffee and was told that I can't have both. I thought it was not nice.

Ok room, ok breakfast, nothing special

Overall ok, breakfast was not ideal

The breakfast was at the restaurant by the lobby. Service, quantity and quality of the food was not good

Staff , comfort,

Great stafff

Great stafff

Great room; restaurant food not good

Eggs were over hard; potatoes were greasy; staff's foreign accents were hard to understand

Room arrangement, quiet,

Everything was great

Everything was great

Good stay

Mildew smell in room

Room roomy

OK for an overnight stop.

Clean room, comfy bed.