Reviews of Best Western PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina 3 stars

2051 Shelter Island Drive, Point Loma, San Diego, CA 92106, USA

#39 of 226 hotels in San Diego

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Water View

When I booked my room through booking.com, I paid extra for a water view. It was my kids first time seeing the ocean and I wanted them to see it from the hotel room. I spent more than I would have because of this. When we checked in, we got a marina view. When my husband called and told them that it wasn’t what we reserved he was told that booking.com was misleading with this request, and they consider any side of the hotel to be a water view (even though the website lets you choose between a water and marina view). They did move us the next day, but I feel like I was not told the truth, and should have been refunded the difference for the first night.

We liked the location of the property

• King Suite with Sofa Bed with Marina View

I ordered premium room at first floor - I did not see too much because of high bushes behind my patio. Some rooms are close to the entrance door, I expect the noise of other guests passing by. Generally there is almost no soundproof. I've heard other people activities on the floor above as if they were in my room.

Located is on the island, not too far from all major routes, but the car is a must. All internal facilities are ok. Mattresses are good. Swimming pool is good addition.

• Deluxe King Room with Water View

Bed comfort is somewhat subjective; I loved sleeping in their beds but always woke up sore. I think it had more to do with me though and what I’m used to at home.

Friendly staff, great location and view. Having two pools was awesome. Large room with lots of space for all my things. Great suggestions on where in town to visit!

• Standard King Room

The carpet was badly stained and really detracted from the overall niceness of the room. We didn't have hot water in the bathroom sink - we were comped a night for that inconvenience, so I can't complain too much. The pool wasn't heated and it was too cold to swim in.

The location was excellent, the staff was very friendly, and the bed and room were quite comfortable. The pool and spa area is very nice, as is the fitness room.

• Standard King Room

Lady at the night bar was rude. Unacceptable! Dishwashing has to improve (plates and cups at breakfast were dirty).

Reception staff was welcoming and helpful. Location is good. Views towards marina are a nice addition. Swimming pool and jacuzzi with the warm water are great.

• Standard King Room

Nothing property was spotless, well maintained and had all of the facilities we required

Location was perfect to watch the world go by at a relaxed pace

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We didn’t like that we couldn’t stay longer cause we enjoyed it very much!

We were so comfortable there that we ended up staying an extra night. Their restaurant is very nice to dine at an it has reasonable prices. It was a great place to stay at.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I pre-booked a couple days in advance. Room was considerably cheaper a day later. For the price of the room I expected the room to be larger than a standard ‘motel 6’ room. Definitely nice, just expected a little more space.

Beautiful setting; good clean room; nice and quiet. AWESOME view.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our room was pretty dark, had to have the lights on at all times of day. Quite noisy, you can hear aircraft taking off from the airport and naval base.

City skyline views from this location.

• Standard King Room

1-room was not cleaned properly ever..we just gave up and said it was ok 2-construction was on going through our entire stay and it was annoying to have to listen to that when we thought we were paying extra money to hear the waves and Mother Nature...

Proximity to airport

• Standard King Room

When I checked in the staff person upgraded us from standard to marina view. However, I would not want another marina view due to the noisy sea gulls Early in the morning. Same woman staff person who checked me in on May 9, also checked me out on May 10 == she was talking to another staff person standing outside the counter entirely in Spanish and never said more than Thank you to me. Very rude!

• Deluxe King Room with Marina View

Rooms not well sound-insulated . TV, conversation and “elephant foot” sounds from adjacent and overhead rooms excessive and disturbing.

Beautiful and well maintained. Great views. Excellent service from front desk staff.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The room itself was quite small.

The room was updated with nice fixtures. Very clean. Breakfast at the restaurant was delicious! The pool was really nice too.

NO elevators.

Everything was good. Breakfast was delicious and the bed was comfortable. The room was also very clean. Will recommend this property and I will stay here again. I especially like the fact I had my own balcony.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wish they had a continental breakfast.

I often travel to San Diego on business--about every 3 months. This is the best hotel I have stayed in, in San Diego. Absolutely best value for money--with great cleanliness, nice room layout, good restaurant, and the Shelter Island spot is the most scenic I've experienced in the whole city. The views are as beautiful as those on the Mediterranean, my favorite of all oceanscapes. I will stay again.

• Standard King Room

The staff was the very best part of my experience there. It was a last minute trip and a little bit stressful. In the three days I was there they were super helpful & so kind.

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

parking lot was a little small but we fit our vans pretty snugly

perfect location. spacious and well kept rooms. prompt, attentive front desk and housekeeping staff. wonderful pool area and lovely marina views. will continue to stay here when my large group comes to visit SD!

• Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds with Water View

The ventilation in the bathroom was poor quality. My only complaint!

We didn't eat at the hotel because it was too pricey for our family. However, the suite was like a small apartment that was super updated. It was really great. Very much exceeded my expectations and well worth the money we spent on the room. Thank you!

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Loud doors in the morning....

It was a very relaxed stay in this hotel. The connection to all places to see is very good. In the near is the liberty station (short drive) where you find really all ( Trader Joes, Von, breakfast cafes, playground, restaurants) A very big areal which no travelbook told us. The marina view is very nice and also the two pool areas. The only thing which I didn’t like were the loud doors in the morning when the people go up. We would prefer everyone the hotel and would stay there again.

The position was great

On Check in apparently there was a mix up and instead of King size bed they had booked two double beds. As my booking specifically said king size bed they changed this but we ended up in a wheelchair accessible room where the shower was far too low.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Restaurant and room both smelt musty. Our room was small with not a lot of room to move around. I wasn't happy to find that we had to pay for parking. This is not my typical experience in locations outside of the downtown area.

Lovely location on one of the harbors. Easy to find and central location. The restaurant was excellent and the staff were lovely.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Nothing that I didn't like. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Beautiful grounds, very well kept. The rooms were very spacious and clean, and comfortable beds. The area was perfect, just an overall great experience. I'll definitely be back.

Our room was an awfully long way from the front desk. A very long way. It would have been nice to have a golf cart to carry our bags to the room.

Restaurant was surprisingly good.

• Deluxe Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds with Marina View

Nothing to complain about really! The only bad thing which is minor was that during happy hour with food and drink specials we went in with the kids to get a snack and there were only 4 tables in the bar. Kids can’t sit at the bar and the tables were occupied so they let us sit in the restaurant side but then when we got our bill they charged us regular prices for the food and beer because they can’t offer happy hour prices if not in the bar. When we said we couldn’t sit in the bar due to no seats, they were apologetic but said it was policy. What should have been a $40 bill for some appetizers and a beer ended up costing $80. Not a huge deal but worth mentioning for any families staying here.

Rooms were amazing! We had plenty of room. It was like having an apartment!! Beautiful harbor view made us feel like we were away from the city which allowed us to relax!! Spacious bathroom, great layout, great location too. Far enough away from downtown to be restful but close enough that it only took 10 minutes by car to get to the center of downtown. Could see spending several nights on this cute little island and would definitely stay here again!!

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The restaurant fell very short of expectations. We had dinner there once and breakfast twice - each occasion very disappointed. The service was abysmal and the food less than average.

very comfortable beds and nice bathroom.

• Standard King Room

Little pricey... Considering there’s a much more upgraded resort (Kona Kai) right down the street with less expensive rooms. I’ve stayed at less expensive Best Westerns that included free breakfast. It would be nice if that was added to the amenities, since it’s $300 for 1 night, and you can’t even check-in until 4pm, and check-out is noon the next day (not even a full 24 hours)

The location was perfect. It was nice having a patio.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Marina View

The only reason I give it four stars on location is because we had to drive to get anywhere that we wanted to go in San Diego. It is a very nice location, but mostly it is hotels there with no little shops, no place to go buy ice cream, no little beach, restaurants are far, other than the hotel restaurant and some pricy place nearby.

It was so relaxing and we loved being on the water at the marina.

• Deluxe King Room with Water View

The staff was extremely friendly and the beds were really comfortable! Location was amazing. Loved that we were right on the Marina, i took a walk every morning. And i could see my sons navy station from our room!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Marina View

The super small room with two queens. The front door almost hit the bed when you opened it. No where to open up your bags. Bathroom was huge tho.

Views were incredible, everything nicely updated, pools and Jacuzzi were clean and working great. The outside fireplace was lit and a great touch. Some rooms can be very small, but we were moved to a larger, balcony room when we asked. The rooms toward the marina are quieter. Staff is very responsive and friendly. It seems that there are three separate hotels that were acquired by Best Western that they now have combined into one. They were doing a lot of work to the rooms since it was the low season, so almost everything is recently updated. Location was perfect, about 15 minutes to downtown, 5 minutes from the airport, but no plane noise. A great walking path on the water. The restaurant was good for breakfast, I would get the breakfast package, it will save you a few bucks. Will definitely stay again.

• Standard King Room

Very noisy. Not sure if where it was our room that was situated but it was very loud In the morning with housekeeping carts. We couldn't even sleep in.

Outside view and bathroom was nice.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our first room was by the pool, and smelled like chlorine. Tge staff were great and moved us as soon as we asked. The second room was very hot, as the a/c was not great, but by then, it was late at night and I didn’t want to move again

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Door opened very close to bed....a bit awkward .

Wonderful location....quiet....cross one quiet street to San Diego Bay , beautiful walkway, pier. Bedding/linens/toiletries above average. HUGE bathroom and extra large shower.

• Standard King Room

Charging for parking but everyone in California does it. Ten bucks a day is not unfair though.

Excellent staff. Comfy bed. Wonderful view. Very clean and enjoyable pool and hot tub area. Great rooms.

• Standard King Room

We liked the modern style of the hotel, comfortable beds, fridge in the room, private patio (or balconies on the second floor), 2 swimming pools (open until 11 what we appreciate a lot!), free bikes, great view over bay and marina. We were even able to had a dip in the ocean nearby. The weather was just perfect for that on the Thanksgiving weekend.

• Deluxe King Room with Marina View

When we first walked into the lobby there is a mildew musty smell. Luckily our did not have that same odor. We did not like that there was not a table in the room. We had ordered room service and would have appreciated a table to eat on. Also, there was a family with children in the room above us that were loud as children can be. I love children but when you’re trying to sleep in and they wake you at 7am it can be irritating.

It was clean and the bed was comfortable. These are my most important concerns when staying at any hotel.

We have no complaints.

The staff was very accomodating and plesant. Our room was very comfortable, we were very happy that it had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker.

• Deluxe King Room with Water View

Very limited menu and room service failed, really refused rather sarcastically to describe for me what actually the menu jargon consisted of.

Everything generally

• Deluxe King Room with Marina View

Room was a long way from check in and no offer of assistance with bags. Discounted appetisers during happy hour weren't available anywhere except in the bar, in which there was standing room only (the restaurant outside and inside were empty). Taxi pre-booked by reception the night before, didn't arrive until we were 40 mins late for an important meeting. Staff attitude was that it was 'outwith their control'! Expensive room.

Big room, very comfy bed and excellent A/C

• Standard King Room

Hotel charges for parking (however there is ample free parking across the street).

Free bicycle rental. Very helpful and friendly staff. Lovely quiet location.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

charged additional for parking was not aware at time of booking. would like to have taken advantage of breakfast at time of reservation.

Atmosphere of the hotel. location beautiful views of the marina and cruise ships going by. My daughters enjoyed pool and jacuzzi while I worked.

• Standard King Room

The room was far from the lobby, the last room at the end of a wing of another building. It was noisy as of 7 am. It sounded like renovation work of some sort.

The room was lovely.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were here to celebrate my mom's birthday and I was hoping to check in early before she arrived but the facility was fully booked. The helpful people at the front desk called me as soon as our room was ready and I was able to get in early to set up some surprises before she arrived.

Fridge wasn't very cold

The bed was wonderful, and the property is very quiet. Overlooking the Marina and up on to the hillside was exceptionally nice.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We only stayed the night but wished we had stayed more! It's a beautiful hotel and super comfy. The pool was awesome and staff were very helpful. There's not an awful lot in the surrounding area but a five minute drive or 15 minute walk and there's restaurants and shops.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The ac is good but a bit inconsistent. No big deal.

This is the second visit to this property and will be our choice any time we visit San Diego. The staff is so accommodating and pleasant, the rooms are spacious and immaculate, the dining room and bar have excellent food choices, especially during happy hour. The grounds are beautiful, marina on one side, ocean walk on the other. Attractions are an easy drive away.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Marina View

I love the spaciousness and view of the Jr. Suites and easily upgraded to one for a reasonable price. The staff has always been genuinely welcoming, kind, and helpful. The bed was comfortable; the room, clean and stylish; the pool, beautiful. Thank you!

• Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds with Water View

Our room was dirty and had mold in the bathroom. Christina at the front desk was very rude. Bartender didn't explain happy hour well, we took drinks outside and were told we had to pay full price. An explanation of procedures would be good.

The view was amazing and room beautiful! The manager was very helpful.

• Standard King Room

The room was very small with two queen size beds and no room to move around. The air conditioner was a problem,

I would have paid for a better room. With the beautiful view a room facing the water would have been great. (not the parking lot) Air conditioner was very load and it was hard to sleep. The location is a beautiful one. We would stay again but would request a room facing the boats.

• Deluxe King Room with Water View

If the checkout wasn't too early since the check in was at 4 pm the day before.

Honestly love the place it was comfortable, clean can't complain. The staff was friendly the room were beautiful.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Only thing we didn't care for was the tiny pool.

Room was attractive and updated. Our room overlooked the harbor and was serene. Pool area for our wing was very small so didn't use. Larger pool was crowded so didn't bother walking so far to use it.

• Standard King Room

This is a hotel by the beach which offers extra ordinary views of the beach, so it would be great if I had a choice to view them in upper room, but I just got a room that has none of that.

Very clean and neat. Non like the overpriced hotels/Inns in San Diego downtown. Very relaxing place to stay in.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

You could hear almost everything from surrounding rooms. For example toilets flushing, even other guests using their bathrooms.

Being a solo traveler I felt very safe. Took a walk every morning and everyone is so friendly.

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The resort was really nice but the wedding itself was at a chapel 2 miles away at 4pm. Checking in is not til 4:00 where most other hotel start at 2 or 3 Also the WiFi service was AWFUL

We booked place for a wedding - reception was at resort . The resort was right on harbor for beautiful view of San Diego

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

AC unit rattled loudly all night long, making it impossible to sleep. Wallpaper peeling off bathroom walls. A dump for $250 a night

The service in the restaurant, especially at breakfast, was slow. I think they had some staff problems.

The rooms were well equipped and comfortable. The location was beautiful. Most of the staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Standard King Room

The coffee and tea could have been better

Nice place to stay. It was reasonably quiet apart from the Friday. Loved the balcony overlooking the pool. The bedroom was clean and spacious. The staff was very polite.

• Standard King Room

The walls are very thin so if people are talking in their rooms or watching TV you can hear it.. and if your a night owl you may get complaints. Check with restaurants in this area before making reservations as some push their politics on you with a 3% surcharge on your total bill because they now have to treat their employees fairly..

The Rooms where very nice and the beds very comfortable. The location really made this hotel a good choice. You have the marina in the back and San Diego bay in the front. Nice grounds and sidewalks allow you to walk the whole island.

Nothing! No complaints

We loved the quiet area, away from all the traffic! We will be staying there again in dec. I absolutely have NO complaints! Restaurant was excellent food, waitresses waiters were friendly! The pool and hot tub were very clean!

• King Suite with Sofa Bed with Marina View

carpets could be cleaned, our chair at the desk was broken and not replaced.....

The bed was like a cloud and the pillows were too....so clean just the way I love it....plenty of towels and wash cloths....air conditioner in the living room needed adjustment and they fixed it right away....

• Standard King Room

Bed was heavenly. Feel was calm & quiet; JUST what we were looking for. Plenty of places to get out & see or eat @. We wanted to be off the beaten path & away from the rush of the city so for us it was perfect. DON't miss nearby Cabrillo Ntl monument, Lighthouse & tidepools...the jumping off point where San Diego ends! Breathtakingly beautiful & serene.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Water View

Arrived in San Diego during Comic Con so the lobby was fairly busy and filled with plenty of colourful characters. As I have bright purple hair though I blended in well! No mention was made of an upgrade but we booked a room with 2 Queen Beds and were given a storey, 2 Bed Villa. The Villa was in a wonderful location, as booked overlooking the Marina with no more than 10 steps to a Pool and Patio area complete with an outside open fire and disabled chair lift for the pool. Our Villa had a kitchenette with Fridge/Freezer, Microwave and Hob and all of the usual utensils that you would expect and complementary tea and coffee. We also had two full bathrooms and a shower room all with complementary toiletries. The beds were to die for, incredibly comfortable and clean. It's hard to judge fairly as we did have the upgrade but I would absolutely recommend this Hotel and will definitely be returning when we next visit San Diego.

• Standard King Room

The air conditioner was somewhat outdated and it could of been better. It would of been nice to have the shower & commode separate from the vanity area.

We liked the lobster nachos poolside and the waitress was awesome.

• Deluxe King Suite

Absolutely fabulous staff, very friendly and helpful. Also very knowledgable of the area. Excellent restaurant, food very fresh especially if you're looking for seafood. Beautiful marina setting as well as two clean, good sized pools.

• Deluxe King Room with Marina View

Our room was not ready, they did give us a free drink in the restaurant while we waited. The dining room offered a limited menu, which was okay because we headed out to Old Town and had a great meal at the Coyote Cafe.

this was a great place to stay! We had a room with a small terrace and a view of the harbor. It was clean, comfortable, and a quick car ride away from the fun and food of San Diego Old Town and downtown. The park across the street had a great view across the bay of San Diego and ships going out to sea.

• Deluxe King Room with Water View

Nothing, was very satisfied.

The room was very nice, more than expected, comfortable bed,was able to walk out back door to marina area. Very quiet and peaceful. At the front you could walk at water,view San Diego skyline. The staff was very good, when checking in the room was supposed to be a King bed, they had us in 2 queen beds, they apoligized, gave us complimentary breakfast, and called later to make sure everything was fine. Highly recommended. Will be back.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Water View

Housekeeping was not as good as it could have been. Although the staff was friendly and helpful, they couldn't seem to get everything in the room that was needed. Forgot washcloths, coffee, cups and one or two other things. Floor and carpet were very dirty! Also in your survey you asked who I traveled with-well, spouse was not one of the options so I didn't answer. I am married to my wife or spouse. She is not a "partner". Stop being so PC! Would I stay here again-probably not, even though there were some good points.

View was good and parking was good. Staff was very nice and friendly. Breakfast was very good in restaurant.

• Standard King Room

We didn't get to check in until about 20 minutes after the posted check-in time, even though we arrived about 2 hours early.

Loved the location. We had a view of the harbor from our room. The area is super quiet and was peaceful to walk around and explore. We were on our honeymoon and were so pleased with our hotel choice.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Water View

The carpet in the room could have used a cleaning. I put on a brand new pair of white socks after a shower and the bottoms were almost black from walking around on the carpet.

The view was amazing! More than i could have hoped for. Breakfast room service was on time, the order was accurate, food was delicious and plentiful.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Water View

Wonderful location - quiet, family friendly and accessible to everything . Wonderful area to walk and let's kids play. View of the city across the water was incredible

Very poor gym, expensive parking, gloomy restaurant, very "extended" hotel, i.e. room far away from Reception

Nice swimming pools, beautiful setting, walking distance to many restaurants, great tennis court

• Standard King Room

I wish I had of travelled using a car and not taxi. Great location, but not much around. Though that was my issue and not the fault of the hotel. Had to walk 20 min to restaurants etc

Great hotel. One for the little black book.

• Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds

Being charged for parking Bed was not terribly comfortable Floors were very dirty - resulted in dirty socks or dirty feet

Location Two pools Variety of rooms

• Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

Noisy birds on roof at night. Parking ok, but tight for spaces on a busy holiday. Expensive for what you get but still happy overall.

Great location. Nice bedroom. Very handy for all parts of San Diego. Easy drive to all locations

• Standard King Room

The room could have been a little more spacious but overall that's the only thing I could possibly complain about.

The location of this property was wonderful. The rooms were very clean and it's landscaping and choice of decor was perfect. My Husband and I really enjoyed our stay on Shelter Island! Very quiet although we saw families enjoying themselves everywhere. We definitely will stay here again!

• Queen Studio with Two Queen Beds

It was great. No complaints

The location is fantastic - on the water in San Diego; part of San Diego, but separate because of the Shelter Island separation from the rest of SD.