Reviews of Best Western John Muir Inn 3 stars

445 Muir Station Road, Martinez, CA 94553, USA

#2 of 4 hotels in Martinez

Not what I expected.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room wasn't ready at check in, it was busy so she rushed through and then put us in a room on the first floor and didn't tell us a new sink was just put in. My daughter pressed against the sink and the new stain on the bottom was wet and it ruined an expensive pair of softball pants. I went to the desk to let them know it was wet and still smelled a lot and they said oh oh well sorry new sinks were just put in! Our shower curtain was broken, there was beer in our refrigerator from the guests before and a pubic hair in one of the beds when I pulled the sheets back. The pool and hot tube are really small and at the very front of the hotel.

Breakfast was good. Locations was great it was near the softball fields, restaurant's, coffee and grocery store.

Breakfast was great.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No closet to hang clothes, pool overcrowded in evenings, smokers at pool area, got to pool early next morning with kid...pool and surrounding area were filthy.

Breakfast was great.

A great place to stay

The staff at the front desk were very accommodating. We had to attend a pre-wedding function up in the Napa Valley and the staff allowed us to check-in early so that we could shower, get ready, and arrive at the wedding event on time. I have never had a hotel do that for use.

Over all a good place to stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was overall a good place to stay. It could use a update and can look sketchy but it’s a really good place. I have high expections do to me having a larger family and this place I will return to and the breakfast was good to 😉

Generally comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Walk In Shower - Disability Access

Parking was terrible. Had a difficult time finding a space when returning later in the evening. I have walking challenges and the only available spots were farthest from entry doors.

Convenient location

Not staying here again!

One of the reasons we booked here was it offered free breakfast. I was told breakfast was until 9:30am but when I went down at 9am there was no food. There were no eggs and when I asked if they would make more eggs and was told. "It's a large package." There were 4 sausages and the little bit of potatoes were cold. And the coffee was weaker than weak tea. Several couples walked out. If breakfast is until 9:30 then there should be food available until 9:30.

The room was comfortable by you could hear street traffic. The bath towels very large and fluffy, a definite plus.

It was adequate.

We stayed in Room 304 and the shower had very little water pressure. Also it was literally scalding or freezing cold. No way to regulate it. There were no towels at all in the room when we arrived. Also no extra pillow or blanket for the sofa.

Rooms very clean. Bed comfortable. Staff friendly.

stayed before but this stay wasn't as nice.

my room was noisy and hallway smelled like pot (but it is CA right?) The refrigerator hum was loud very buzzy sound. Could hear other visitors noisy in the adjacent rooms during the night. Phone rang several times during the night after 12:00 a.m. and would hang up when I answered.

it was convenient and near my destination

My pet and myself thank all the staff for a nice comfortable stay. I will be returning soon...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

100% perfect stay. No complaints .

Everything. Even though computers were down the check in went smoothly and the person checking me in she was very professional. I especially enjoyed the cleaness and neatness of your staff. Everything smelt and looked nice

4.0
    Waited more than one hour for room not ready by 3:30 also...

If check in is at 3pm then have the rooms ready by then also the front desk person was rude

Waited more than one hour for room not ready by 3:30 also elevator brook carry luggage up stairs

This Place has the basics for a nonleisure trip when u just need a clean place & quick breakfast.

Noises of doors slamming, bed w broken springs that creaked w every turn all night, menu never changes for breakfast year after year

Location to restaurants, grocery, drugstore etc across street

Awesome stay!

I can't say that I didn't like anything! We love staying there! It's our favorite place to stay at.

Everything! Specially the staff! They're always super friendly & make us feel welcome all the time!

This is an old hotel with minimal updates.
    • King Room with Walk In Shower - Disability Access

This is an old hotel with minimal updates. Has a musty smell to it - had to buy some Febreze to spray in my room. However, staff is helpful and courteous. Most likely would not return to this site.

Hot tub was cold and that's why we stayed here.

Filthy carpets and walls. Not something the staff should clean. These are old stained filthy carpets. Needed replacing years ago. People dealing drugs in the hall. Prostitutes hanging around out front. It's a flop house.

Staff was friendly. Breakfast was pretty good.

Good! We will stay again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was nothing in paticular that I did not like persay

Everything was just as expected. Parking was a little difficult but all a all it was good and we will for sure stay there again.

Would not return with nothing to do and poor customer service.

Mostly contractors sleep there smoking in all areas inc. the one small elevator and heavy walking and door slams at early hours. Sitting area is tiny and in the walkthrough to the elevator and front desk. Nothing to do there unless you want to watch a movie. Clerk is bored and stays in back and when I left a small important item would not work with me to ship it back and I live in the same state.

Amazing breakfast

The hotel and its staff over exceeded my expectations...

Nothing major to complain about other than one washing machine was working and they had a sign which said Frontdesk doesn’t supply quarterls.

The hotel and its staff over exceeded my expectations between the staff, breakfast, house cleaning and location.

We've stayed there before. We will stay there again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Although not a problem for us, another couple in the elevator said they had no hot water.

Good location and nice sized room. Room was on the backside of the hotel so no traffic noise. Small but well equipped bathroom, included mirror mounted on the wall. I could see the back of my head. Yeah! Had shower cap in addition to usual toiletries.

Easy, Comfort and inconvenience.

For us, Location

WE own a rental property in center ave, we come to check the place 4 times a year,since 1990 and we always stayed at this hotel, so we like it because it is close to our house.

can not stand, I want a refund
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

A guest with a dog into the room, all night the dog called, noisy sleep, the most unacceptable is found in the bathroom cockroaches

Convenient location, near restaurants, shops

Very enjoyable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Walk In Shower - Disability Access

The bathroom plug was an issue and I complained about it and every day they would temporarily make it work but not fixed properly

The cleanliness of the pool area. Particularly the helpfulness of the reception staff

Location close to my meeting, just a couple streets down, ...

Parking lot was kind of small and no sidewalk , also room was at the end of building and hot water took forever to came out out if shower

Location close to my meeting, just a couple streets down, also near commercial sites to grab food and supplies

Good value.

The rooms are older and very basic, but the price was right. Nothing wrong with the room really.

Staff was very friendly and competent. Business center worked well for printing boarding passes. We had the newer TV service from Direct TV so that worked very well. The breakfast was kept up to date throughout the morning with several options.

I liked it
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Walk In Shower - Disability Access

The shower curtains were really high It it was summer and you went swimming It would be really hard to put your swim suit on the curtain bar.

The room was comfortable. beds were nice two chairs. The breakfast was great Had bananas. It was near a shopping center so there were a lot of choices for dinner. I wish it hadn't been raining I would have walk around

This was a great place i recommend this place with 5 stars

Only negative thing i can say is the cable was out buy that's really no big deal.

The hotel was clean comfortable and friendly customer service. There were snacks throughout the day at front desk also great hot breakfast. Beds were comfy and overall best stay in a long time.

After giving me a room that was already occupied, I was...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

That I walked into a room that was occupied!

After giving me a room that was already occupied, I was given an upgraded room. It was very nice and comfortable.

GREAT beds! Comfy Best Western Martinez. Pleased as punch!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Awesome breakfast! Scrambled eggs, bacon the works! Biscuits and gravy. bagels, toast, cereal cold and hot. Juices, great coffee. The breakfast monitor served coffee to me personally and asked if I had everything I needed. I had all I could hope for!

Alright for a night, but the place is old and fresh paint doesn't change this. B

Breakfast had low standard with cheap plastic plates etc. Had rooms with connecting door to next room. You hear every word from the neighbours

Room size was okay.

Very helpful lady at the reception desk.
    • King Room with Walk In Shower - Disability Access

Very helpful lady at the reception desk. We arrived extremely late compare to what should have been our time of arrival. Plane from LA to San Francisco delayed more than enough. All the same ,since no food is served on the plane our time of arrival was way past midnight to be princely it was at 2 am. No where to dine so the lady at the front desk offered us sandwiches,fruit and apple juice. It was our only alternative ,everything close at that time . She was very,but very kind. No extra charges.

Nice hotel, but dissapointed about having to stay in a handicapped room.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds and Walk In Shower - Disability Access

We were given a handicap room and neither of us is handicapped. The shower was a real problem for my husband, who is 6'9", and the showerhead only came to his stomach. We requested to be moved to another room and they couldn't accommodate us. The other problem was that when we went into the Business Center to print our boarding passes for our flight home the only printer they had was out of ink and they didn't have a replacement one!

Staff was very accommodating

Looked like staff was overwhelmed, young lady that helped us was pretty much doing everything from emptying trash to working the front desk.

Staff was very accommodating

Disappointing when compared to our last visit.

Breakfast wasn't available on Sunday and, even though the posted sign said otherwise, when we asked the person behind the front desk responded "we don't serve breakfast on Sunday's". The hotel caters to a high number of construction crews, they were first on the scene Saturday morning and cleaned out the breakfast area of virtually all food and it took almost an hour to replenish for the rest of the guests. Our room on the first floor was serviced and the window was left unlocked and wide open. The bed in another room during an earlier stay was more comfortable. It was obvious there is new management as we did not recognize any of the employees from a previous visit earlier in the year. The location is convenient being close to relatives we were visiting and the prices are competitive for the area. Enjoyed our first stay earlier in the year, the most recent stay was disappointing.

Location, clean room, competitive price, and early check-in

OK Nice staff & comfort

Booked a queen room w/2 queen beds. Got 2 double beds. Didn't have time to talk to front desk. Also room called for microwave, but room did not have one.

breakfast was great

Not coming back...

Hall cleanliness was disgusting, NO ELEVATOR FOR ONE WEEK AND I WAS PUT ON THE THIRD FLOOR...I am in my 60's and am recovering from a broken leg and shattered hip!!! Stilair way was dirty...bathroom fan/vent is filthy! And the rates are far too high for what is offered!

Not much!

Would not recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway

The smell; in the hallway and in the room was awful. My room door looked like someone tried to brake into it. Also the door was to short There was about a 4" gap from the bottom of the door to the floor, anything could've crawled right in.

The bed

Old not comfortable.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed

The room we had booked was a king with a pull out couch. We had two children with us so that was great. When we arrived our room was a king with a kitchenette. I called to see if they could move us since it was not at all what we had booked. The receptionist said they didn't have any pull out couches in the facility. It would have been nice to have received a phone call in regards to that. That way we could have booked elsewhere. We ended up getting a pull out bed which was very uncomfortable. My daughter kept waking up because the springs were hurting her body. Overall it was not a pleasant stay and will most likely NEVER go back again.

Pet owners beware
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had been staying in a motel in Martinez and when we decided to extend our stay, found out that they were full. Since we are traveling with our cat and it's high season, our options were extremely limited and Motel 6 was one of the few places available. Booking.com states that this Motel 6 accepts pets, but gives no more details; when my husband went to the office to schedule our room cleaning, he was told by the person at the desk - very rudely - that when we were out of the room our cat had to be in his carrier. We were looking for an apartment in the area and needed to be out of the room for a number of hours at a time so this arrangement was completely unacceptable to us. When my husband pointed out that this policy was not mentioned on Booking.com (and we've never encountered it in years of travel with our cats), he was told that we should have looked it up on the Motel 6 web site! Quite aside from this problem, the room was shabby and vastly overpriced. Fortunately we were able to locate another motel and moved out the next day.

Only option we knew about, doable but not recommended.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Swimming pool was freezing, somehow, in 105 degree heat. Fire alarm went off in our room only three different times for no particular reason. Carpeting is sticky. Parking is horrendous and inconvenient. Requested a pack n play weeks in advance and arrived to find out that there were none for us. Food is middling.

Location to freeway access.

Really nice hotel.

breakfast was good but coffee was not strong at all.

Really nice hotel. nice location with lots of shops around. Walking distance from the John Muir site.

Could be so much better.

Decor and hotel in general are shabby and tired. This needs serious work to make it somewhere worth traveling to after a long day. The hotel in no way reflects the price I paid to stay here , so expensive for the standard of accommodation.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly. The staff are the one feature that is positive about this hotel.

Pricy but overall suited our needs

Food for breakfast wasn't ready as maintenance employees were eating all. Had to wait. Found it strange that they didn't have their own cafeteria

Beds were comfy Convenient location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Walk In Shower - Disability Access

Hair and bugs on the sheets. Not very clean. Spoke with front desk. They were nice enough to change our room.

Great location. Great staff. Breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Nice but not great!

Room too crowded. Beds too close to wall and clothes closet was small. Just not a real comfortable room to spend any length of time in.

Beds were very comfortable and the complimentary breakfast was good. Staff very nice and helpful!

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

WAITING......WAITING......WAITING.........AND STILL WAITING..............

Being told that maintains would be at my room first thing in the morning but at the time I wrote this review, they still had not shown up. This time is 9:38pm. Also was told that a manager would come to my room today to talk about a problem with my bill. As of right now she has not shown up either. VERY SAD.........

Nice and quite most of the time. Very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Showers Everywhere
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The water was only warm after running it for a long time. The shower curtain had no lining, only cotton curtain consequently the water got on the floor (a big mess). There was also a problem with the shower head and water flew everywhere again causing a major problem with the flooring. I had to ask for extra towels to mop up the floor.

What a wonder place.!!!!!!!
    • King Room with Walk In Shower - Disability Access

People driving to fast in the parking lot.

Everything was great. Nice friendly staff and the food was out of this world. My little one loved making her own breakfast. Keep up the good work. We will be back

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Clean, comfortable, convenient, good breakfast, friendly helpful employee s
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Noise from front desk employee door slamming as no soft door close hinge... Management moved us to quiet room in very friendly and understanding way.

Breakfast was outstanding and quite elaborate. Short walk to restaurants and cvs.

Excellent for the price

The breakfast buffet is very small and crowded. I wanted to make a waffle, but I would have been standing in front of everything else while waiting. Needs a better flow of traffic.

The room was clean, bed was comfy, noise level was excellent.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Do Not Stay Here For a Safe, Quiet Time!
    • King Room with Walk In Shower - Disability Access

Hallways were dingy and very loud. As we walked down the hallway we could hear loud voices, loud television and loud music from numerous rooms- loud party-type noise. This was not the typical noise from a good hotel. People were standing around in front of the hotel smoking. Several of the guests appeared to be high from something stronger than pot and it was not just alcohol! This seemed to be a "hook-up" hotel. Breakfast staff loudly asked us for our room number. I felt that this was unsafe for us and a violation of our privacy. I did not feel safe walking down the hallway by myself or walking out to my car. The rooms were adequate but felt dingy and like they needed a good DEEP cleaning.

Location was perfect and we had stayed here before.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Staff was awesome!

We had no negatives.

Bed was comfortable and breakfast was pretty good compared to other places we've been. More importantly the desk clerk was super. We had taken the train to Martinez, it was over 10 hours at night and we didn't get much sleep. The desk clerk checked us in long before check in and we were able to get a couple hours sleep before attending a memorial.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Great value.

Everything what on point. Great location with a shopping center plaza across the street. Railey's, CVS, a Round Table, and other shops. And a cinema within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Love it

The only thing that could make it a better experience would be if the price was lowered a bit or if week or monthly rates were available other than that a completely awesome enjoyable experience

I love everything about this hotel the staff including maid are incredibly polite professional friendly and extremely helpful. I am currently in between a place to call home so this has been my current home, there's a gym in the hotel that I use every day after having a delicious nutrious complimentary breakfast. They offer free bottled water 24 hrs a day and even sometimes in the evening they offer free popcorn and or cookies. The hotel is conveniently located Starbucks, nobhill, cvs, 1st nor cal bank, kinders, pet food express, a awesome movie theater and more are directly across the street. If you are in recovery and attend mtgs the Alano club is just a walk away. I couldn't ask for a better experience.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Not bad
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

Smoking room with no ashtray. Parking was scarce. The garbages in dining room were overflowingly full at breakfast.

Staff was friendly. The breakfast was great!! More than the average " continental" with peppers in the eggs yum! Magnifier mirror in bathroom and good toiletries. A fridge in the room was sweet to keep my drinks cold.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

For our overnight purpose, hotel was perfect in location and price.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Other staff not very smiley, kind of felt like I was bothering them walking by in the hallway.

Front desk at night check in very friendly engaging our son in conversation about his upcoming sporting event.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Won't be staying here again. The only good part was the friendly desk girl.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

The night we stayed there was no parking and we had to park across the street in an empty grocery store parking lot, the night desk person was rude and didn't really care about us having to park across the street just brushed us off.

The girl at the front desk when we got their was very friendly and informative!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Not so impressed

Door had AC sensor and we had to keep opening it all night long every half hour or hour to make AC work. No parking available and had to park in the shopping center across the street and walk our stuff over. Sucked by the third trip. No hot water at all period. Doors are heavy and loud and really sucks when everyone at the hotel has to open there constantly as you hear everyone because the walls are thin as well. Would not recommend to anyone. Just too many issues.

Easy to get to. Bed was comfortable. Refrig helped keep things chilled. That's about it.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Location and staff make up for some minor shortcomings.
    • King Room - Smoking

Smoking room, I am not a smoker, but they allow smoking in some rooms. Unfortunately that was all they had when I checked in. I thought smoking hotels were a thing of the past, smoke outside or pay hefty cleaning fee.

Convenience to grocery, drug store, and a few restaurants and a movie theater.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Not likely to stay again

Evening clerk at check-in very sullen, not personable or welcoming at all. Inappropriately dressed for business. Morning clerk was friendly, helpful, efficient

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Everyone I came in contact with was genuinely helpful!
    • King Room with Two King Beds

Elevator malfunction, i have a very bad ankle injury, so it was a drag to use the staircase. Also no other entry available at far end of hotel.

Everyone I came in contact with was genuinely helpful!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Staff breakfast location
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

When i make checkout i forget my skirt and when comeback to take it the housekeeping throw on basket and i feel sad about that and i take it again

Staff breakfast location

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

To get ice I had to go to the second floor which is a...

To get ice I had to go to the second floor which is a smoking floor. The hallway reeked strongly of marijuana its whole length. If I'd been booked on that floor I probably would have canceled and not used the property again.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

Terrific hotel!

There are so many pluses to this hotel. It's very clean, the beds are comfy, the wifi is fast, and the staff is extremely accommodating and pleasant. The breakfast was far more than I expected, and the breakfast room was very comfortable. The location is excellent - right across the street from a strip center with restaurants, a drug store and a supermarket plus numerous other shops. Movie theaters are nearby. I would stay here again in a flash!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Housekeeping left cleaning rags and forgot wash cloths but...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

Housekeeping left cleaning rags and forgot wash cloths but no big deal had to go down stairs late at night and received them from the front desk clerk

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Cancelled

Room through booking .com was booked for wrong dates and they would not let me cancel even with 2 weeks advanced notice. Was still charged over $200

Cancelled

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Bad start but turned out well.
    • King Room with Walk In Shower - Disability Access

When I arrived at 1:00 AM because of a train delay, the hotel had no record of my guaranteed reservation! Who's fault was that, booking.com? Fortunately, there were rooms available and the desk clerk very properly gave me a 20% discount.

Friendly, helpful staff. Excellent buffet breakfast with choice of hot dishes. Very quiet room.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

Nice and clean time and the staff was very friendly and...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was an issue with the room which caused an inconvenience to me and I could not receive a discount due to third party booking.

Nice and clean time and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Great place to stay, great value.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

Oops, hair on bathroom floor was not ours.

Loved the quality and abundance of bathroom amenities... Plenty of fluffy towels(didn't have to beg for more). Comfy bed. Spectacular breakfast assortment, kept filled. Delicious! Staff friendly, good humored.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Very nice stay in a good hotel.
    • King Room with Two King Beds

The room wasn't well planned out and it was very cramped. The bathrooms could use some extra cleaning. There was black mildew growing behind the faucet and it smelled musty. The room could really use a desk and desk chair.

Decent free breakfast foods available. Nice sized refrigerator for cold food storage. Extra cabinetry for storage.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Not unpleasant but time for an update
    • King Room with Two King Beds

Facility feels tired; the shower controls barely worked; generally looks worn. Also: Wake-up call was 20 minutes late!

Staff was very cordial and helpful; location was very convenient for traveling around the East Bay area

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

Not too Shabby
    • King Room with Two King Beds

The door didn't close right so the keys would quit working or it would take forever to open. The bathtub faucet was so hard to pull on that we called maintenance thinking it was broken. There were also bus loads of tourists which made getting breakfast in the morning rather frustrating.

Breakfast was good, pool was clean, the staff were very accommodating and prompt in response to needs. They provided a crib for my infant and had it in the room upon check-in. There are a lot of food options in a strip mall right across the street, as well as a CVS and grocery store.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Would stay again

Surprised that there are still smoking rooms. Walking down the hall with the smoking rooms was very unpleasant. Fortunately the smell did not permeate our room.

The room was clean and very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Nice Property, Beware Smokers
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

1. The Second Floor reeks of cigarette smoke, and our room was making my wife sick, so we moved to a non-smoking room on 3rd. 2. Coffee was not very good - weak and not much flavor. Suggest same coffee as BW Oakland Airport.

Friendly staff, well-maintained facility, convenient location. We were gathering there with family for a funeral and the hotel was very accommodating.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Short but Sweet
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only thing that bothered me was the smell of old smoke or maybe musty ac smell when you got off the elevator. Otherwise every thing perfect.

I was pleased with the service, breakfast, and location. The rooms were very clean. Loved being able to use the internet to print air line boarding passes.

it was comfort
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I did not like pool and souna.myside room was noisy at midnight.

I like location and comfort

Good place to stay

Convenient free way access and restaurants

Quiet