Reviews of Los Prados Hotel 3 stars

2940 South Norfolk Street, San Mateo, CA 94403, USA

#9 of 13 hotels in San Mateo

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights on our trip to SF.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The rooms though need a bit refreshment.

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights on our trip to SF. The locations is good, just 40min drive to the city. Shopping centers close by and grocery&cafes just around the corner. Nothing fancy, but good value for price.

Overall, it was lovely and great for a night
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The lobby is separated from the rooms. I remember my room being in a whole different building. I got lost at the beginning.

The price for the room. The room was lovely and big

Not the greatest experience
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was dirty, there was food in the microwave from previous guest the shower was full of hair they did not even have a phone in the room. The heater did not work.

not worth the cost
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

shower not working properly. prob. with wifi. difficult to find room. not allowed to take breakfast to room (wife not able to get down in time. arrived late). not much to breakfast anyway.

It’s okay but I will probably choose another hotel next time.

The location is be hind a grocery complex, it’s terrible. I was given a room with a view of the grocery stores garbage cans and the back side of a preschool. On the other side was the freeway. It’s much older and not at all what I expected from the reviews and pics.

The room was clean.

Great location, large room with very comfortable beds and...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Great location, large room with very comfortable beds and pillows - the toilet/bath room was a bit small but overall really good value for the price in this area.

Overall decent
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was here on a business trip, the wifi and clock didn't work at all. I was excited that this location had a gym...but all the equipment was broken except the treadmill. The bowflex and bike needs upgrading (because they're broken), and all gym equipment needs to be wiped down. It was too dusty in there. The dryer is poorly setup on the wall really close to the bathtub, above the toilet, instead of by the wall by the sink, so be careful not to accidentally drop it in the water potentially electrocute yourself. If people blow-dry their hair sitting on a toilet, that's good I guess, but the toilet faces the wall... good thing I brought my own hair dryer and used the vanity table instead...plus you can watch a little tv while doing your hair...and have a place to sit while looking at what you're doing with your hair. I'm not quite technically saavy, but I'm not sure if the refrigerator was purposely set on high, I wasn't able to bring it to normal...so all my food got frozen. My Uber drivers had trouble finding the location. It's right behind the Dennys and shopping center.

The staff was great and very accommodating. The bed was VERY comfortable. The tub was a great size also. Room was clean, and very quiet. No noise disruption which was nice.

I will probably come back
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Not cleaner as should be, but it is ok I found a sock from the previous guest room Hard towels, need some softener The internet password expires every time(sadly it is needed and it is ok, but could use a better solution like one password by room)

It has a good location Amazing bed Excellent room size Good bathroom It has a microwave and coffee machine Nearby restaurants Calm place

Not if value

It is serious need of renovation, yet they charge a high nightly fee. Our son stayed at another nearby hotel that was half the price and twice the luxury.

Though many niceties were lacking, the breakfast pitiful and our original rooms unihabital, the staff politely change us and upgraded our rooms the best they could.

Don't want to do that again. I felt desperate.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room needed cleaning and upgrading. Walls were smudged with nail holes and just old. Bedspread had something smeared on it... maybe lipstick? OR? Cheap set up for $200 a night. This place should be A LOT nicer for that price. Old air conditioner (1960s?) that was loud but guess that helped drown out the highway noise outside the window. It is literally next to the highway. Breakfast in the morning was simply lame.

Staff was very helpful.

Location was ok .
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Did not like much about this hotel. I will not stay here again. The Property was Dirty and unkept, the elevator did not work properly. Furnishings were old and the Refrigerator did not work. close to the freeway so it was noisy.

Location was ok .

Worst place , ok ffor truck drivers , but not for general public
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Quiet night , More cleanliness , that the tub would not back up, could not take shower

We liked nothing , did not realize a was a truck stop and for two women the worst ever Knock on neighboring door by police, later laud noise and profanity yelled , all at night.?

Disappointed

The Employees lack of experience! At the front desk I was asked to put $100 security deposits and they changed me $151 and when I asked why.. they have no idea and said sorry give it 7 weeks to go back to your card

The only thing i like about the hotel is the location

Close to airport and between SF and San Jose.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The sink is outside of the bathroom. Bed is uncomfortable and sheets/blanket don't feel clean. Staffs are unfriendly. The entire place doesn't feel clean at all. Expensive for poor quality.

Close to airport and between SF and San Jose.

Excellent value, will stay again.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms smell a bit musty and walls are a bit thin. Fortunately windows open.

The building is a bit older, but the rooms have been well cared for and renovated. The bathroom in particular had granite counters, bath/shower enclosures and even floors. A nice touch of elegance.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

High scores all in all, fix the small stuff.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

-Keycard swipe on building door was not smooth; hotel needs to update the hardware on the building entrances. -Vending machine broken -TV definition was very poor, seemed worse quality than SD. -Customers can't take food from the breakfast area to their rooms...if I'm paying $200/night, why can't I take a muffin and a cup of coffee to my room? This is very upsetting.

-Clean room -Friendly Staff -Quiet despite being close to the freeway

Close to highway,close to restaurant and room clean
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom to small and no vent, washcloths which seem to be in short supply had to go to front desk for them and they gave us hand towels to use

Close to highway,close to restaurant and room clean

Riped off, poor facilities and staff!!!!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Non-professional staff, room was not clean, spa broken, big potholes in parking lot and no balcony in my room. I requested ground floor room and was given 3rd floor. The late night telephone receptionist was rude. The check in receptionist did not advise me of a $100.00 dollar security deposit.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Don't stay here!! New Jersey Prices with no amenities, poor management, lazy housekeepers.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Pot hole in parking lot Room was not made up everyday We had to move two times, one in late evening. This is a no smoking hotel, but smoking occurred in a lot of the rooms. Management hasn't gave me a credit for one night because they overcharge for the room and my list of discontent. Had a severe asthma attack because of the prior smoking in the first room. Air conditioner broke had to move again. Maid made off with partners earrings. May have bed bugs

The continental breakfast was good

Needs updating
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location smell and old carpets

Two Uber drivers couldn't find the hotel and cancelled This is an older hotel without remodeling and the halls and rooms have a lingering smell of disinfectant or bug spray

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

The worst lodging experience ever
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I called to inform the hotel that I needed a bottom tier room and that I would be checking in late. I informed them that I was at the hospital visiting a family member. I asked them to hold my room, I get to the hotel and they gave my room away. You have to leave the lobby and go outside to get to your room. The hotel and experience was terrible, I only stayed 1 of the 3 nights. I will never stay there again.

I did not like anything

Good clean place for the money
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Located in a strip mall, and looks over the back alley of businessess, which is kind of weird, but we didn't have any problems.

Good accommodations for the price. Clean and centrally located to malls, the Millbrae BART station and the bay.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Ok could have be better

Let's start off by saying when I booked with booking.com I had the option to pay cash and I was not allowed too. 2nd I had to pay with my debit card and had to pay an extra 100 dollars for a deposit and 3rd when I got my room my card did not work to get in my room and when finally getting into my room the toilet did not flush so they gave me another room...and I was not able to get in that room as well till matenice let me in my room

The rooms where clean

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Great value for business trips. No frills but clean and comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There is no pool or gym. Location is a bit noisy near major roads. Air con very noisy.

The room was fine. Bed comfy. Really good price relative to other hotels nearby.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Worst hotel ever
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

1. No secured Internet in a hotel in Silicon Valley. 2. Unclean bathroom. 3. Bed sunk and I thought they had blood stains(not sure). 4. Room smelled. 5. Everything untidy 6. Carpet had big huge strains.

Absolutely nothing.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

For the price, the room was good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The location. No landscaping and the area is too crowded, When I check in, there were police cars at the hotel and policemen in the lobby talking to the desk clerk. Later when I came back to rest there were 4 police cars at Denny's restaurant which is just a bldg. away from the hotel.

For the price, the room was good

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

A good value low cost hotel.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The 101 traffic noise is a little loud in the guest rooms that directly face the freeway. It would be useful if there was a guest laundry.

The grounds are tidy, buildings good for age. The guest room and bathroom are kept well. The breakfast menu gave some choice.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Don't stay here

This hotel was awful! The cleanliness was horriable. Walked in and there was holes in the carpet and couch. There was an awful smell to the place and the A/C and heating unit wouldn't work. I asked to have someone come down and fix it but they told me to unplug it myself. I was so disgusted with the place that I stayed only 2 hrs and book another hotel down the street. Never again will I stay here. Bookings you need to take this hotel off your site.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Stay SF
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Noice during night. Not clean properly short of towels . Breakfast simple. No cover parking.

Nice attitude and flexible service offer. Offered boardroom few minutes for our skype meeting

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Thieves in parking lot
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

All tools were stolen out of locked truck. Manager didn't seem to care. Says to contact police. Hopefully security camera works - manager wouldn't look at unless asked by police!?!

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not a thing but the person talking on phone in the morning under our room. Kind of rude but that was not the hotels fault.

Stayed here in 1975 when I moved here. Close to foster city and san mateo. Great rates. Returned for high school reunion this weekend . It was a great rate and beautiful room as well as spacious. Thanks

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

I wonder what it would have been like it they had not upgraded me.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The girl at the reception desk told me they were upgrading my room. They put me in a room on the second floor. Only access to room were outside steps. I am a senior citizen and had to carry my luggage up those steps. The wash basin in the room took about 30 minutes to drain and the water out of the shower was a trinkle.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

It was a little on the dirty side.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was a little on the dirty side. There are one or two other options in the area that are cleaner. Also we dislike that there isn't a central air-conditioning system.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

the room was clean.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel.

the room was clean. room didn't have moldy smell. And it wasn't noisy. every good location.I would recommend to friends.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Decent low/mid-range motel for business use

It was a relatively noisy location, right next to the freeway and people outside being quite noisy until late. The main thing I missed relative to other hotels was the lack of swimming pool.

It was fairly good value for money and the location was very convenient for my business. The room was fine and the bed comfortable.

TERRIBLE MOTEL. RUN DON'T WALK!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was a pull down Murphy bed which was uncomfortabe and squeaked when you moved. The people in the connecting room had a dog that I could hear sniffing all night through the connecting door. This was definitely NOT a three star hotel. I would rate it as a 1.5 star Motel. They also advertised a Shuttle to the airport which they did not offer. Very disappointed.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Good honest hotel. Basic but a great stop over place if you need to be near the airport.

Ice machine didn't work but not a big deal.

Location - we used as a place to stay before flying out after a travel vacation. Hotel is set near a mall with some good restaurants nearby - Chinese, Korean etc. I would not say it is a holiday hotel but a practical layover place near the airport if you need to be close by. Clean rooms, basic facilities but still very comfortable. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Decent and convenient for travelers, but not a good value for the money.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I think it's not good value for the money, and the people in the front desk were not welcoming or nice at all, just a bad attitude towards the customer.

There was a cheap feeling to everything, the remote control for the TV, the breakfast... Looks like they do the bare minimum to make it comfortable but always trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

The rooms were clean and comfy but very price for a motel...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I had to call 3 times to add a night to my room. They couldn't find my reservation at first and when I arrived they told me I had booked 2 rooms which I didn't. They seemed very confused by the whole thing. On the third night, they locked me out of my room because they needed a signature. They couldn't have just called my room instead of locking me out?

The rooms were clean and comfy but very price for a motel like facility. The staff didn't seem very knowledgeable either. The perimeter of the building was dirty and dingy and the halls were unbearingly hot. Thank goodness for air conditioning in the rooms.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

In need of improvement
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Whole place gave me the creeps. Everything seemed dirty. Heavy smell of cleaner which I think was masking another smell. Television channels were impossible to navigate.

Convenient to my work location

very comfortable and value for money!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Check in staff was very professional and courteous! Room and amenities were upto mark.will definitely come back.a pleasure to stay here!

Good experience!

Clean, close to freeway

pillows and bed are very comfortable - rooms are not fancy,...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

pillows and bed are very comfortable - rooms are not fancy, but they are nice and clean, and the location is wonderful

Would have liked yogurt and granola.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Would have liked yogurt and granola.

Los Prados is a zero in my book. Thanks for asking.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Scary people all around. Breakfast awful. Dirty filty carpets. Unfriendly staff. Gross place rate it as a zero.

Breakfast needs to be expanded.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast needs to be expanded. Property needs to be upgraded.

Looks like recently remodeled rooms, nicely done.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast lack of choices. Yogurt please.

Looks like recently remodeled rooms, nicely done. Breakfast has room for improvement.

The balcony.

The location.

The balcony.

It was ok
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The deposit and the room was not that clean.

Not too much

Close to where I needed to be.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Let customers check in earlier if the room is available.too of a late check in.close to

Sucked.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Staff could have made us aware of problems. WiFi also did not work.

More help at the front desk when people are checking in and...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

More help at the front desk when people are checking in and out.

Clean room.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location requires a car. Breakfast is meh! It does not have any ham/bacon/cheese.

Clean room. Plenty of parking. Close to restaurants.

Can't think of anything positive
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Smelt like a nursing home

Can't think of anything positive

Working in the area 3 beds great for small contractors I'll definitely be back
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Very accommodating,staff were wonderful.

Not good

Bed bugs 🐜

Well I really didn’t like it to well

****

No scrambled eggs.

The bed was ok.

ok.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

requested a ground floor room, was given one on second floor

convenient location

breakfast

breakfast

Fair
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Set of shampoo and conditioner along with a decent bottle of bodywash soap.

Bathroom is outdated, washroom supplies are poor.

I was pleased that I chose this motel without knowing anything about it beforehand.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I felt it was pricey but perhaps not considering the location.

I would have liked a very exact map of the motel and access it from 101 when I booked.

Stay away.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

This property is a scam. Be prepared to be charged an $100 damage deposit on top of the rate which the owner holds for up to two days.

Bathroom too small.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bathroom too small. Cost too high for room.

Convenience

Internet connection terrible

Convenience

Clean property and very comfortable room.

The vending machine was out of water.

Clean property and very comfortable room.

Sketchy- would not return
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Sketchy location; run-down property; ridiculously expensive for what you get

Good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Sometimes bedding are not change.

Shower didn't work, but I could use the room half a day...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Shower didn't work, but I could use the room half a day early at no extra charge.

For the same price we could have stayed at a nicer place.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was out dated and dirty. Breakfast was very basic. I was expecting more because of its rating

It was close to small ethnic restaurants and market,

Uncomfortable
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Better customer service, they need training to be hospitable.

they have wifi

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Adequate
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

large crack around exterior door. Obviously an older hotel with some peeling wall paper in bathroom, etc.

location , employees were pleasant