Reviews of Best Western Merry Manor Inn 3 stars

700 Main Street, South Portland, ME 04106, USA

#5 of 13 hotels in South Portland

My husband and I had a wonderful time staying at the Merry Manor Inn. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly, and the weather was perfect!

There was a loud noise coming from the bathroom, similar to the noise a toilet makes after you flush and the tank is filling. It was pretty loud and happened about every 20 minutes. We weren't in our room a lot so it wasn't a big deal until we tried to sleep. We shut the bathroom door and it muted the sound but it was still disruptive to my fiance. We did report this when checking out so hopefully the issue had been resolved.

The set up of the room was different in a good way. The staff were friendly. The person who checked us in was exceptionally friendly and welcoming.

Housekeeping didn't not service our room, and after spending all day at a funeral home, wife just wanted hot shower, with no clean towels, it was impossible, trash was overflowing,and housekeeping waa at our door when we left that am, she even said good morning to my wife,,not executable, considering the amount you pay per night,,,

Tia, the front desk clerk was amazing, she made us feel very welcome, and addressed an housekeeping issue with a smile. Bed was comfortable, lots of pillows

Business center computer rebooted every few minutes which made it difficult to do any work. Wish the breakfast ladies were a little friendlier (the lady that walked around to check on everyone was very nice but they ticket taking ladies were a bit snappy). Dropped ceiling in the bathroom must have had a recent water leak because rust colored water stains were all over the tub. Also signs of a not so great wall patch job in the bedroom.

The gal that checked us in at the front desk was great! (Loved her lobster headband). Housekeeping staff were great. Breakfast was tasty with lots of choices (just wish you offered bananas). We enjoyed meeting other travelers. Glad you sold postcards on site.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

Nothing of note

I chose the hotel at short notice and it met my needs of great location (I'm a photographer so Portland Head and Old Orchard were close by) and of price. The room and bed were very comfortable, WiFi was great, breakfast was plentiful and included. Staff were friendly although I didn't need to speak to them too much for my short stay. I would choose this place again.

Very loud both day and night. Swimming pool right outside window. We could'nt hear each other talk all afternoon and the noise resumed at 8AM, woke us up. Staff was not concerned, I could tell they've heard it before. We could'nt open the curtain because off the people right outside our window, no privacy

It’s very run down and dingy. The photos do not give an accurate depiction of the hotel. It was like the photos were taken of a different hotel or were taken quite a few years ago when it was brand new and not in its current state. Walls are thin so you could hear into others rooms and hallway. Pool hours are 7am-10pm and it’s VERY loud.

Our room was toward the back of the building. It took forever to get to the room. Many corridors to walk down.

Comfortable bed, clean room, excellent breakfast.

• Queen Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We stayed an extra night didn't like paying extra for the one night.

The bed was awesome, slept very well. Continental breakfast was more than expected, was very grateful. TV was great too.

Hardly any food left when we arrived for breakfast on the first day at 8.30am. We’ll before closing time at 9.30.

The rooms were spacious, quiet and comfortable.

The free breakfast wasn't that great and it could use some work. Rooms could use alittle updating but as they are they are comfortable and clean. Fire alarm went off one morning and was inconvenient but good to know it works so can't be to mad at that.

Location was great for traveling to nearby sights and cities. Outdoor heated pool and spa were clean. Staff was very nice and helpful.

Could not use bathtub, room not clean, room was tiny & cramped, building was 1950's and not in a good, nostalgic way, the "forest view" was a rotting swamp

Nothing to like

The older woman I’m sorry to say older I just didn’t catch her name was really sweet she made sure my stay was great , the lady at the bar Misty ? I don’t remember her name either but she was really sweet they made my stay enjoyable THANK YOU

At one point during our stay, a few of the house keepers were in the hallway where our room was located and they were working and got into a full on argument. They were yelling and screaming at each other for a good ten minutes. That was a little nerve racking. We also wish the bathrooms were a little bigger, there wasn’t much space to move around.

The staff was able to allow us an early check in as we arrived earlier then expected due to a snow storm. My son loved the pool and the make your own waffles at breakfast. The staff that we did communicate with was always very nice and accommodating.

the rooms were not very sound proof listed to kids running up and down all all night now and neighbors loud music. the hotel was over run with tons of kids who took over the hot tub deeming it unusable to adults to use to relax. We booked this room solely for the hot tub that we did not get to use at all.

the Rooms were clean, beds super comfy! and the complimentary breakfast we good. If you are looking for a hotel with Bar , this is a great choice as its a short walk back to your room from the bar area.

I didn't like the fact that the waitress put a 14 dollar tip on our debit card even after we gave her a 10 dollar tip in cash. Be careful of the restaurant. This was last Saturday night. We did not authorize this tip and just found out today when we got our bank statement.

Some of the housekeeping staff wasn't as cheery as the front desk staff.

The pool area was Fantastic and the free Breakfast had many different selections!

The building could use some updates.

We went for the indoor/outdoor pool, which was as fun as we had hoped. The staff was also super friendly and attentive.

Front door near us was not working and would have been more convenient for walking dog and emptying and filling car. Maid service was spotty; if you did not get up and out of your room early enough, you are skipped and even if you are away for over 6 hours, no one came back to do room. Had to request late service.

The free breakfast buffet, the attached access to the restaurant, pet friendly, inviting lobby with gas fireplace and holiday decorations (made you feel like you were at home here), Justin the desk was helpful and knowledgeable about the area and accommodating us and big flat screen tv with HBOs and Showtime.

I left a little baggy of a ring and 3 or 4 pairs of earrings. I know I left it there and called and asked someone about it, they said I didn't. I believe it fell off of the bed and may have gotten swept up in the bed linens or gotten pushed under the bed. They connected me to housekeeping and I asked someone to call me back and no one did.

Everyone was very wonderful and extremely accommodating. The bed was amazing and the shower strong and hot!

Pool did not look like it had been cleaned of leaves and debris for a day or so - there was lots of wind that had stuff blowing in it.

THe pool being heated was just simply awesome - loved that it was still open this time of year.

needed more cream cheese- totally ran out

there was a good variety of fresh fruit as well as toast and danish pastries. staff worked very hard to keep up with groups of hungry people. the ladies were pleasant and nice. the granola and other toppings for the yogurt was wonderful.

Hair dryer in room didn't work.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Merry Manor Inn. The breakfast buffet offered almost anything one could want. I enjoyed the hot tub and heated salt water pool which I understand operates year round in all seasons. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The room can equipped with a microwave oven, fridge, and an electric massage chair. The room was clean, the showers had plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Just wish the hair dryer worked.

Dates furniture and facility but clean and great location

Bed was solid and the food was good. The place was clean but it took us over one hour to check in - room not ready Dated facility but close to everything

The hotel is old, bathroom small, bed hard, AC (which was needed) sounded like a jet taking off and ran all night long, tub and toilet were dirty, light from the hallway shined through under the door and we had to block it off with pillows.

The staff was very helpful.

How i could have 2 identical rooms side by side and be charged $149 for one and $209 for the other when i thought I had booked 2 rooms at $149. The hotel allegedly couldn't help...I have been referred back to Booking.com. I just love this passing the buck.

convenient, clean, pleasant staff

The room freshener used was quite strong and overpowering. The elevator was a bit slow. Because it was a Saturday night, the restaurant was very busy and crowded. Long wait.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Accommodations were comfortable, the king size bed room was recently refinished and the room was quite large for hotel room. The complimentary breakfast was very good, with large selection of foods: eggs, both omelet and scrambled, bacon and sausages, beans, fresh fruit, yogurts, make your own waffle station, variety of breads and cereals, selection of juices, as well as teas and coffees. Very casual self service buffet style. Lobby welcoming with complimentary coffee and chocolate chip cookies!

We had to go into another building to have breakfast in a room barely big enough for the guests.

The room was clean, but the bathroom was small, tired and in need of updating. The room was spacious and it was nice to have a mini-frig and little kitchen area with a second sink. The breakfast was plentiful, but just so-so. They did have bacon and scrambled eggs - a plus for most of the places we stayed.

Seemed very run down. Our room didn't have carpet which definitely wasn't something we were told about previously.

The breakfast was pretty good.

Breakfast area is split in to upstairs and down but no elevator to second. Food was really good and staff would heat if needed but would have been nice to have a microwave.

The front staff was amazing, friendly, and respectful. Rooms are clean and along with common areas.

Inattentive breakfast system. Signage for, "seat yourself" or something. The bus group(s) might have overwhelmed the service staff. Raised area was untidy, unkempt. Also as we were there 20 minutes 2 people dropped the buffet service utensils, leaving in pans is unhealthy, should be a service spoon, tong holder.

layout of the room, suite style with kitchenette and bathroom areas. Keurig coffee system. Extra suitcase holder.

This is a clean, functional but charmless hotel at a major road junction on the edge of Portland. The approaches were difficult to navigate even with SatNav, so we needed a taxi for an evening out downtown. None of the windows opens, so the gym was stuffy despite aircon, and overnight the aircon in our room was noisy. Wide range of breakfast options, but quality was mixed. About €420 inc taxes for 2 nights (inc breakfast) mid-September 2017, booked at short notice.

Staff were welcoming and helpful. The pool and gym, though both small, were useful for early morning exercise. We asked for, and were given, a quiet location. Our room was large and the beds comfortable.

Rooms are average. Breakfast also average.

Pool was perfect for morning laps and jacuzzi. A little warm in the pool but a quiet and relaxing morning swim. I would rate this property high for this feature. Location convenient right off highway.

Only problem or situation was the restaurant. We went to eat dinner and were told a large party had just come in and they did not have enough servers to accommodate them and others. So if we could come back in half and hour they would probably be able to seat us...IF the party of 30 was finished. Since the hotel was full that night think they would have put on more servers and even opened the Breakfast Room to accommodate those folks, like us, who want to eat on premises.

Beds were wonderful and room was very clean. Staff was friendly and most helpful. Work out room, pool, breakfast was delicious and such variety which was complimentary for people staying at motel. Location was very convenient.

I have no complaints

Friendliness of the people. Cleanliness of resort. Easy to get to and plenty of things to do nearby and the heated pool was awesome and glad to hear it's open all year!

I feel that I paid too much as I was quoted in Canadian dollars and paid the same amount in American. When I explained this to the clerk in the lobby, he just basically shrugged his shoulders and dismissed me to look after someone else,

I loved the pool and your lobby

Not a lot of floor space in room with two queen beds but otherwise room was great. Large fridge and modern style throughout.

Staff, food, amenities are excellent

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

The staff was very friendly and courteous. The cleaning staff was delightful always recognized us and had a nice conversation and they kept the rooms and areas very clean

Limited space in the breakfast area; difficult to manoeuver.

Great location - out of I-295 and close enough to the beaches. Great shopping around and multiple restaurants to try within a 5 minute drive!

Bathroom was tiny - your feet almost touched the door. The electric was weird in the room. A wall switch controlled a lamp in the room (good) but also controlled the outlet with the refrigerator, TV and microwave (bad). Took a while to figure out why the frig was working and then not working.

Our room was wonderful - we were upgraded upon check in (for gold status). The bed was huge and comfortable. 2 wall A/C units allowed us to turn one off but still have the room the perfect temperature.

Crowded breakfast area and running out of breakfast items early.

Room was comfortable & what we needed. Breakfast was great...enjoyed the special coffee machine & egg options for protein (non meat).

There were two dryers in the laundry but one stayed broken for the four days I was there. Other than that I have nothing bad to say. I'd driven from Ohio and loved your hotel. I plan on coming back to Maine in a couple weeks or less and would love to stay there but I'm 100% ptsd military disabled and don't think I can afford the 3 or 4 day stay there again but wish I could because its one of the very nicest hotels I've ever stayed at.

Everything was wonderful and I felt safe there as a solo female traveller. It was a very nice hotel.

When I called for towels at 8 pm and they weren't brought until after 10 pm. We had a do not disturb sign on the door and the person kept knocking.

Cleanliness,friendly staff, convenience of free continental breakfast, restaurant was awesome with great food & service,

Breakfast at Browns Wharf was poor. The first day, the home fries were cool and so over cooked they had to be sent back, however the cost was removed from the bill. The second day, the pancakes were huge over a half inch thick and cooked so they were black on the outside. Barely edible, hard to cut. How could the chef allow them to be served? At that point, we just gave up, signed for the bill and left.

Fire alarm

Friendly staff. We were there twice. Once when fire alarm went off at 4 a.m. Nobody told us what was going on. Understand few staff at that time of the night.

Location was perfect, 20 minutes from everything we wanted to see and eat great lobster. Staff was very friendly. Location of the room was close to outside pet area. Nice space for pet outside.

Had a massage chair in my bedroom which was great ! Parking close to room is very appreciated , no need to walk the long and many corridors to access room! Breakfast is ok!

Back room was very dark. Rain poured off the guttering all night and kept me awake.

Restaurant staff very good. Only stayed overnight before flying out of Boston.

Very well kept property, almost has a resort feel. Can tell that staff take a lot of pride in keeping up the property. Pool area was beautiful and proximity to Old Orchard was great, 15 min by car.

Bed needs new mattress. Our window was looking into a court with dirt. Breakfast was too far away. Fire alarm went off at 3 in the morning, everyone running through the halls pounding on doors, then they said it was due to water pressure in the hotel???

The bed was terrible, springs were popping and squeaking all night, needs new mattress.

Stairs at the pool, kosher food for breakfast, there's so much kosher and so many clients that would come just for that. There are no kosher restaurants at all 😳

We loved the hotel and staff everything was nice. The only thing is there's no shops or fun activities near by. Only the beach around 20min ride from hotel.

This is a Best Western in the outskirts of town. You shouldn't go in expecting anything amazing. It's a solid choice for budget travelers.

Good value, nice large room with comfortable bed. Decently clean. Only 10 min drive to Portland downtown.

I booked through Booking.com. Only one of the two rooms that I booked were available. The front desk placed us in a family suite (2 adjoined rooms with a shared bathroom).

The pool was excellent, large and warm.

The continental breakfast- the options and actual food were very good. However, the space and staffing was woefully inadequate- the 2 girls working could not keep things stocked fast enough and there were so many people trying to get breakfast that the line to get in the room was out the door and down the hallway. So, naturally, there was no where to sit down and eat either. The coffee never got refilled the whole time we were down there. This was the only negative part of our stay, though!

The friendliness of the staff at check-in was super! Also, the info binder in the room was the most informative and helpful of any hotel I've ever stayed at! So much information and so many options for things to do in the area. Super comfy bed with several different types of pillows, which I really liked.

The interior was dark, cramped, furniture was old and cracked, drawers were loose from their hinges. The dining area was tiny and crowded, not good for people with claustrophobia. The location itself is an eye sore. Too much traffic and construction take away from the welcoming feeling a hotel should have.

I enjoyed the heated pool, the soaps and shampoos used, and the breakfast was amazing!

The toilet made funny sounds when you flushed it.

Our room was extremely clean, even the remote and light switches, which are usually overlooked in other places. Very impressed!

If the floors were laminate instead of carpet, that overused, musty smell in the room wouldn't be there. Use paint instead of wallpaper, so you can wipe the walls and hopefully freshen up the room. Toilet looked like it could use some bleach, and a could scrub. The "clean remote" was filthy. I cleaned it for ya! The restaurant didn't offer much in terms of variety of food, especially for vegetarians, or vegans.

The large screen tv, the helpful, and friendly staff. Location to Portland Headlight and downtown is great; approx. 20-25 minutes to both. If you are on a budget, then for the location, this works.

Our room was a little dated and needed some tlc but was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and well equipped. Unfortunately the 2nd might there were roadworks and the fire alarm went off. It was a good location.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

In order to shut bathroom door, you have to straddle the toilet. The housekeeping staff, and continental breakfast room staff could of been a little nicer.

Laura, at the front desk was extremely helpful and nice. The pool and whirlpool was a great experience, and the rooms were clean.

A Trash can in the bathroom would have been nice.

The staff behind the main counter were exceptional! This hotel had everything I needed! Including a pool, hot tub and a computer and printer if you had a boarding pass to print!

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

The best thing about this place--no over powering smell of detergent or artificial fragrance! Once we turned of the fan and heater in the room, it's very quiet. Finally a great night of sleep!

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

The bed was extra comfy and we enjoyed the massage chair a lot! And the continental breakfast was way more food and selections than we were expecting, making the room and free breakfast a great deal!! Please give extra praise to the young, cute brunette lady with glasses who ran the breakfast room!! She was very efficient and kept everything well stocked and clean. She also had a great staff helping her!! Jesse on the front desk was very friendly and a big help with directions!! We also enjoyed having The Maine Table restaurant attached to the hotel!! Good food and we loved the singer on Friday night!! And we loved our bartender/waitress, Sandi!! She was great!! All of these things work together to make a great stay and getaway!! Thank you Merry Manor Inn!!

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Breakfast set up was a bit difficult to find things like hot water for cocoa and milk for cereal. Led to going back and forth and a crowded buffet at times.

Bed was a little soft for my liking but defiantly like floating on a cloud. The pool is extraordinary. Loved swimming outside with the snow swirling around.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

The floor plan is a little confusing. Although clean the common areas were dated.

The room was clean and updated but the rest of the building could use a little love.

pool could have been warmer ,also hot tub should have been warmer

beds were comfortable ,room was clean , front desk employees very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Exterior Entrance - Non-Smoking

Liked the 2 fluffy pillows! Breakfast was good. Staff was helpful and friendly! Room noise from road was very quiet. One machine outside of room was a bit bothersome.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Exterior Entrance - Non-Smoking

Your staff at the front desk very pleasant. Your housekeeping crew were distant and not engaging when I would say hello or hi there was never a response, is this a cultural thing because it is not our culture in the USA.This is a reflection of your company. I left a tip never the less. Please do training for your company's sake. Toliet and shower head needed assistance.

Breakfast was very nice and the heated pool and spa was a great surprise for an aching back.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Exterior Entrance - Non-Smoking

very comfortable beds, pleasant staff, cleanliness and very good breakfast that was included in the price. The price was very reasonable. I would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

My parents got to attend a music event held at The Main Table (attached to the hotel) & absolutely loved it! The food and entertainment was great.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

A little outdated. Breakfast room was too crowded with tables and hard to get around.

Clean and overall a nice hotel. Comfortable beds. Breakfast was good overall.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

The breakfast was lacking in quality, not quantity (e.g. cold, hard biscuits, less than appetizing eggs in warming tray.)

Location was wonderful. Greeted well, clean and comfy! The staff make the difference. They handled our check in and check out wonderfully even with two bus loads of travelers arriving at the same time as us!

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

The retaurant had only one server Sunday night. Many waiting to be seated. Food only fair.

Everything was great ... clean, comfortable. Beautiful pool, super breakfast.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

It was a bit of a drive to downtown, but pretty much a straight shot.

The room was unique in its layout. We liked it. The beds were very comfortable. Cookies were good also.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Exterior Entrance - Non-Smoking

I would suggest that they offer plain yogurt or some kind of greek yogurt for the more health conscious folks. The only yogurt they offered was sweetened with artificial sugar.

The girl at check-in was so helpful. Even though it was late at night, she was still very nice. The staff the following morning was also very friendly. The room itself was clean and comfortable and had all the basic amenities - even a huge TV if you're into that sort of thing. The towels could be softer, but they were clean and dried me off, so no real complaint there. The carpet looked clean and the corridors (although a bit dated) and dining area were also well maintained. The breakfast is much better than the standard continental breakfast and includes plenty of hot items. Although they weren't the greatest in taste, there was a wonderful variety to please everyone in my party of four. There was a pancake machine, waffle maker and a pretty nice self serve espresso machine. Probably the best hotel coffee I've ever had, so that's a huge plus. Overall, I'd stay here again next time I'm in Portland! *Btw, they have fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in the lobby! Yes!

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

The breakfast was particularly good, especially the Jura coffee machine, nothing beats an awesome espresso in the morning. The beds were very comfortable. The room was exactly what we wanted as a family: clean, spacious and functional.

Browse Best Western Merry Manor Inn traveller photo gallery