Reviews of Best Western Pioneer Inn 2 stars

658 Wharf Street, Lahaina, HI 96761, USA

#37 of 61 hotels in Lahaina

Had a lovely stay. A trip to whalers village was awesome. Lots of good shopping and eats.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

AC in room was a little noisy, minor issue. Could hear quite a bit of noise in the hallway at times, again not a biggie.

Great location. Centrally located. Nice to relax by the pool. A lovely charming heritage style complex.

Lovely.

Not much I didn’t like.

The old world charm. A beautiful place. Loved the pool and courtyard, and the architecture. So glad the building is being renovated to maintain it’s historical features.

All good. We'll be back :)
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It took a while to get the room comfortable enough to sleep... it was rather warm. And, overlooking the street, it was a bit too noisy to have the door to the lanai open.

Location, location, location!

Great location, pleasant staff, lousy room location
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We got room #40 an inside corner unit next to stairs and very limited view of anything from the balcony. I would definitely not stay in that room again.

breakfast was excellent as was the front desk staff

Great location for my husband and I.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Great location for my husband and I. We stayed here for one night and were very happy with the hotel. Right in downtown so we could walk to everything. Parking included was a major plus. There isn't really any spot to get in the ocean nearby here so i am not sure I would stay here with kids. The room was small with just a bed but just fine for my husband and I. The deck and the pool were great- very secluded despite that the hotel is in a busy area. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

Location, location, location
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No elevator...but the front desk had a gentleman take our bags to our room on arrival and departure

Nautical theme and (1901) history of hotel. Also...we enjoyed our balcony with a view of harbor, banyan tree park and shops. There are tables and rocking chairs on every balcony.

Two beds on my wedding anniversary, But i will comp your breakfast.
    • Standard Room - Non-Smoking

When walking into the lobby and host is not wearing a smile. Not Good. Got to my room and what do I see two beds TWO... I called front desk to tell them I got the wrong room and I dont even get an i'm so sorry she just tells me all i can do is give you comp breakfast. First time in Maui and on my wedding anniversary and we have to sleep in spread beds ..... NOT COOL wont ever stay here again

Just location

Great "vintage" hotel with amazing location
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The parking is free in a public lotbut you are battling for spots with everyone else that is not staying there.

Location, location, Location! Staff was great and very friendly. Amazing sunsets. Nice little balcony with rocking chairs.

Was fine for one night
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location is challenging and finding parking to check in takes quite awhile. Even when property said to double park to bring in luggage got screamed at by the Dock security across the street that I couldn’t do it and they would call the cops on me and get me arrested. Weird security. Stayed one night and shower wouldn’t drain. Told front desk as I was headed out to dinner and was told to wait till morning to see if it would drain on it’s own. I was leaving before dawn so I just didn’t shower in the morning as it had not yet drained

Room was very clean considering age of building. Balcony was large. Bed was comfortable.

I've stayed at this hotel many times, and I was again, very pleased with my experience here
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Fans in the bathroom would be nice.

The entire staff is awesome: friendly and gracious, and willing to go out of their way to help their visitors . There is no elevator at this historic hotel, but the staff is more than willing to help bring luggage up/down the stairs. I focus on watching whales during my trip and this hotel is across the street from the pier which very convenient. Parking is very tricky in Lahaina and having a parking space near the hotel saves trying to find parking.

Great location in the heart of the city
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The pool was a bit tired - there was so much else to see and do.

The location is great - love the porch chairs on the balconies. It’s a bit noisy, we kinda like the hustle and bustle of the city. The hotel is well restored and the service was great

Lahainatown Living
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Surprisingly, there aren't any good beaches in reasonable walking distance. Rooms could use updating, and for the price I expected a little more and things to be a little newer, nicer and roomier.

Centrally located and easy to walk just about anywhere.

Certainly not again and not to be suggested to friends.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Furniture, view, used and (not in a good way) old-fashioned. Pub/restaurant without style, simple sports bar. By far too expensive for what you get. Very disappointed.

Location is perfect. But my expectation of a historic inn with some style was not fulfilled. Rathe atmosphere of an ancient saulor!s home or youth hostel, furniture (bad) 60s, no style at all. Definitely overpriced.

Great place to stay in Lahaina
    • Standard Room - Non-Smoking

Old colonial building which has been a hotel for 100 years. Comfortable room. RIght on the harbour and in the middle of town, so walking distance to everywhere you want to go!

We had a great time and enjoyed our night a lot.
    • Standard Room - Non-Smoking

We were celebrating our anniversary and were assigned 2 beds (we pushed them together). The hotel was full and could not make changes.

The historical value, the location and the unpretentiousness environment were the plus!

Nicely maintained property with historic significance. Not a resort property!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Due to size of room, I wouldn't stay more than a couple days. No nearby beach.

Porch viewing Front St. w/rocking chairs. Comfortable queen bed. Small but efficient bathroom. Convenient location to all of Lahaina. Nice restaurant on site w/historic bar.

The staff were wonderful and went out of their way to assist...

Housekeeping could have been better but I believe they were short staffed

The staff were wonderful and went out of their way to assist us with every request. Parking was off site but when the car park was full they let us park right outside the hotel (including overnight). The hotel itself was lovely, an old colonial hotel with adequate sized room and balcony. Amazing location and everything was in walking distance. Great restaurant and excellent happy hour deals :) Would highly recommend this hotel!

Great location in old Lahaina town. Not a resort which is a bonus!

Loved everything!

Location! Our room balcony overlooked the pool area and we had a peek of the ocean. It was very pleasant to sit in the rocking chairs and just relax out on the balcony. Nice shade from trees in courtyard.

Well worth the price. A nice little staycation!

Stairs ... ugh.... need elevator

Location is superb! Restaurant downstairs is excellent for quality of food and service and we even got a 15% discount. Fun place to watch fishing boats and lots of shops and parks.tbe best hotel value on Maui!

Great stay in the middle of all the action in Lahaina , best side of Maui.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Great location overlooking the harbour, the breakfast included were the best in town. Staff were very helpful and pleasant, only to pleased to oblige any requests. Beaches within walking distance, lots of good restaurants and shops nearby, would stay here again.

The front desk staff were extremely helpful.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Please be aware, there is no elevator if you are handicapped and need one to reach the second floor.

The front desk staff were extremely helpful. The bed was comfy and the pillows were great. An older hotel but it had a lot of charm. Great location, walking distance to most venues & historic sites.

I really enjoyed my night at this location, wish I had more time to stay longer. Check in was easy and the staff were very friendly. It is located across from the water/port on one side and the main road on the other, so accessing restaurants and shops was very easy. The room itself (king room) was the perfect size and had a nice porch overlooking the pool/ although some palm trees kind blocked the view which was nice for privacy. The bed was comfortable and the shower was also nice. Breakfast is in a restaurant, for which you get 15(?)% off with a little card; it was delicious.

The hotel is situated very close to all activities, shops...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel and restaurant staff are an absolute joke. Totally incapable of basic communication.

The hotel is situated very close to all activities, shops and bars.

mostly satisfied
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

very noisy air-conditioner(both inside and outside the room)

1 excellent and various kinds of breakfast, breakfast is served from 7am-11am, food and drink can be packed,which is very convenient for tours. 2 receptionists are very friendly 3 very good location with good ecology environment

Relax in Lahaina
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

That the stay was only 5 nights.

The location is in the heart of Lahaina, close to the harbor in the old part of the town. All important restaurants, bars and the shops are within walking distance.

Best value on Maui

There's no on site parking, but the lot they use is free and across the street.... unfortunately I found the wrong lot which cost me $54.00. the staff is attempting to get my money refunded because I wasn't parked there long before the proper lot was reviled to me by a different hotel clerk.

Wonderful location, easy walk to great shops, food, and beach. The best value we found on Maui. It's not a Hilton or Ritz, but the old world charm made it much nicer for us. The staff was out of this world friendly and helpful too.

I really enjoyed the fact that I stayed in a place with such...
    • Standard Room - Non-Smoking

I don't have any complaints

I really enjoyed the fact that I stayed in a place with such a long history. The accommodation was also close to other historical sights and to a shopping area so there wasn't a lack of things to do.

I would recommend any one to stay here if they want to experience Maui without staying in a resort.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Caged bird - poor thing but I don't like any form of cruelty to animals. He was well looked after and fed well.

Great location with great atmosphere. Patti on the front desk very welcoming and informative.

Pioneering at the Pioneer Inn
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

NO ELEVATOR. Had to lug three heavy suitcases up a narrow flight of stairs. All rooms on second floor. Loud window air conditioner with no low fan setting.

Rate

Always wanted to stay here...
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

This historic hotel is better than most historic ones, with lots of extra charm. Old, but fun.

Downstairs bar was rocking with locals and visitors. Good prices at happy hour.

Wonderfully taken care of..loved it

No complaints at all..

I live in maui i was having date day with my girlfriend and this place exceeded my expectations.. I will stay again..if you come to maui book a room here you wil not be disappointed...

Location is amazing
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The advantage of being in the centre of Lahaina also brings with it noise so can be noisy at times but not enough to interfere with sleep

Location is amazing

Great location but very noisy
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

But beware it was noisy! The walls are paper thin and the aircon units are incredibly loud

Location was great although parking was off site which was a little annoying. The staff (Katherine in particular) were wonderful.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

We'll Be Back!!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was a bit soft for our liking, and had a pillow top mattress, but others may like that. We prefer a more film bed.

We loved our short stay at the Pioneer Inn. The room is small, but very nice & has a/c, definitely what we needed for the warm, humid days. The rockers on the lanai overlooking Front Street were great. We really enjoyed sitting outside with a cocktail, watching everyone shop, visit, and enjoy being in Lahaina.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Overlooking its cosmetic needs the stay was wonderful with clean rooms and great staff.

the exterior facilities need some major help. The pool needs to be resurfaced the area around the pool needs to be cleaned up outdoor furniture needs cleaning and surface needs power washing. Pool had algae growing and bugs floating. A little paint and power washing would go a very long way. It's current condition does not do justice to the beauty of the place.

Loved location and the staff was incredible. Very helpful very informative and very accommodating.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Disappointing stay
    • Standard Room - Non-Smoking

This was one of the worst best westerns I've ever stayed at. There were cockroaches in the bathroom and the double beds room was really 2 twin sized beds. We were so happy we only stayed one night, and at $200 for a night it was a ripoff. When I pulled out my handbag that was open all night, a roach came climbing out!

Other than location not much

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Heart of the action
    • Standard Queen Room

Rooms are not accessible for those with mobility issues (not a problem for us, but may be for others); wi-fi is weak and at times unreliable (ok for updating Facebook, not optimal for business purposes).

Great atmosphere; despite modernizations, you still get a feel for it's historical roots. The location can't be beaten for convenience to amenities. The staff are gracious and courteous.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Loved the court yard.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Air Conditioner was small and as a result had to run all night so the room was noisy. Parking across the way wasn't ideal, but still a good option.

Loved the court yard. Staff were extremely helpful. The bed in the room was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Great First Trip to Maui
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It would be great if they could do something more with the pool and courtyard area, the sun loungers etc were old and not very appealing - needs to be updated.

Lovely old hotel with a fascinating history. Room was small but comfortable and the balcony was a bonus. Enjoyed meeting some locals at the bar and the food was really good. Great location for downtown Lahaina. Will certainly stay there again.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

3.0
    Disappointing stay

Not good for senior citizens. No bell service. Locked out of room for 2 days because room keys did not work.

Location was nice. We were locked out of our room for our entire stay . Room keys/card did not work. Manager had to let us in each entry to our room. No bell service. Very disappointing. After I left,I noticed I left something in room. I am still trying to get it. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

A rustic, old-charm basic hotel by the harbour.
    • Standard Queen Room

No breakfast can be bought for take out in the restaurant for excursions.

The chatty staff, usually helpful with information. The outdoor swimming pool and sun loungers. The coffee machine in hotel room.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Location was excellent for our first introduction to Lahaina...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No elevator. Rooms were smaller than usual.

Location was excellent for our first introduction to Lahaina since we were on the harbor and adjacent to the banyan tree park and in the middle of the town. Outdoor porch, seating and view was a big bonus.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Pretty, great location, but not cheap.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

- rooms are rather small and noisy (neighbors, AC, traffic from the streets) - cleaning staff is unfriendly (they decided to not greet me back several times)

- excellent location in the beauitful city of Lahaina - amazing sun sets right in front of the building - pretty and historical building - nice terrasse and garden

reserved this room for one night only prior to checking into my timeshare the next day; convenient
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

hotel clerk was not at the front desk when we arrived around midnight; we had to wait several minutes before the clerk showed up; after a long trip, we were anxious to get checked in so that we could get settled and retire for the evening

location; courteous staff; nice, comfortable outdoor patio

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Street noise as your roommate
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Extremely noisy hotel, right in the middle of a busy town. Ground-floor level shops, one of which was undergoing reconstruction, so there was drilling and hammering during the night. Windows only single-glazed. No lift. The room too small.

Manager, Marc, helpful

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Perfect discovering Lahaina!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

You can't have a better location: in front of the harbour and next to the city centre, everything is doable by foot. Love the character of the hotel. Staff was very friendly and breakfast was good; I liked the fact that you could pick from the menu.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Timewarp gem!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Would have liked some instruction about the air conditioning controls. But ceiling fan fantastic.

This is a gem - comfy with no bells and whistles. Location is fantastic, terrific atmosphere especially in bar and grill, service was excellent.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Decent stay at this central located hotel - ideal for visiting neighbouring islands
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

- noisy room (A/C, adjacent bars, birds across the park) - smelly bathroom - very slow internet connection - old fashioned room decoration

+ central location, close to island ferry + friendly and attentative staff + good breakfast + historical building + nearby parking provided

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Good location on Front Street, bed was super comfortable,...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

AC unit was a little noisy. Front street was also a little noisy since it's so crowded.

Good location on Front Street, bed was super comfortable, bathroom and room very clean, staff friendly. Very quaint an comfortable sized room. Perfect for size for one or two people.

Good location, close to shops, eateries and activities.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Was one of the noisiest hotels we have ever stayed in. Archaic air conditioner, poor sound insulation between rooms and to outside traffic.

Good location, close to shops, eateries and activities.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

What a gem of a place❤️

It was so laid back and the staff was very friendly! Being animal lovers, seeing Coach the dog and his owner come into the restaurant for his morning ritual of bacon after a mile walk and swim was just heartwarming! Our breakfast was excellent!

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Hotel Only Show in Town
    • Standard Queen Room

No elevator, a major problem for an elderly couple that we were (and others who may be handicapped)...the lone female registration clerk helped tote our heavy suitcases up a long stairway. Window airconditioner was noisy but we got used to it.

It is the only tourist hotel in Lahaina...others are at far-away resorrts. Free parking... although about a block and a half away. Restaurant has good food, escpecially breakfast, at decent prices. Old (but renovated) hotel with rustic features.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Top class location, good for a few nights.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

- Rooms were small - AC was loud but it drowns out the noise from the nearby bars which can be loud - Early morning Hawai'ian singing from a busker!

- Top class location - Free parking (just around the corner) - Not overtly expensive

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room is cozy but a bit small. Aircon is old and slightly noisy.

Great location. Right besides the wharf. Walking distance to major attractions in town. Very considerate staff.

charming and love the history of the location.

history and location

Awful glad it was only one night
    • Standard Room - Non-Smoking

Looked over the rubbish bins very very run down horel

love the location the view of the town and activitys.

none

love the location the view of the town and activitys.

Loved our stay and will definitely be back!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Lovely old hotel, extra friendly staff, comfortable beds and amazing location. Restaurant had great food at a good price.

Great location. Comfy beds. Okay Price. Random fee they slip in.
    • Standard Room - Non-Smoking

price and random fee I got charged after booking for less.

We had a great time
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We liked the atmosphere of the hotel. We would definitely return.

Great historical location.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Pillow and bed were too soft. There were no blackout curtains.

Great and quiet location.

Friendly staff and workers.
    • Standard Room - Non-Smoking

Friendly staff and workers.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Our stay was Great! Very comfortable, loved the view.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The staff was great! Very nice and welcoming.

Front desk personnel Samantha was such a pleasure 🤗

No negative comments

The quietness....room assigned facing the pool (bonus), did not want the rooms facing the street. Very Victorian

Location was great
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

bed was quite small not sure a bigger one would fit rooms were quiet small

Location was great

Location ambience
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Noise from air conditionerand restaurant fan. No bathroom fan.

Location ambience

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay any requests handled immediately
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Cost of wine and te serving of wine in restaurant

Bed very comfy

this is the good location to access all attractions

maybe buffet style is better for breakfast

big serve breakfast, friendly staff

passed
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

too small space old looking outside

clean bathroom

Perfect location to stay for trips, shops and restaurants.

Leaving!

Great location, friendly staff and good breakfast.

Very 1uiet

Very 1uiet

Historic hotel, in great downtown, ocean side location, my only real complaint is the rate was high.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No elevator, small rooms, small bathroom, limited closet space, rates very high

Great location, friendly staff, good restaurant, free parking.

Good location, good hotel
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

As we came in the main season, it was really expensive

Good location, good hotel

Relaxing and good fun
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Small, dark room. Pool area not very clean and needs an upgrade.

Great location, central to pretty town and wharf. Loads of good restaurants nearby.

Browse Best Western Pioneer Inn traveller photo gallery