Reviews of Senator Inn & Spa 3 stars

284 Western Avenue, Augusta, ME 04330, USA

#7 of 10 hotels in Augusta

• Economy Queen Room

Small end tables on both sides of bed.

Fabulous pool, steam room and sauna. Two lap lanes roped off in indoor pool. Kids largely used outdoor pool. Small frig and microwave in room.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Small bathroom sink, no counter. Smoking area right out side our door (Room 132). Outdoor pool was nice, but needed sprucing up. I realize the season just started....

Comfortable rooms, great breakfast, clean, friendly staff.

Small room for the price, some rooms (have stayed before) have older decor and furniture, check in experience is below average and typically requires several trips to the desk to get a room similar to the reservation with everything working

Good extras (sauna pool spa steam)

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The shower head was far too low. My partner and I are quite tall, my partner being 6’ 3” and the shower head was below comfort level. The air conditioning gave us trouble and at 77°, our room was warmer than we were comfortable with. Also, our room was right near the stairwell, and the noise level was disruptive. Additionally, we found the room to be too bright. Between the glow of all of the electronics in the room and the hall light streaming under the large gap of the door and through the peephole, we found it difficult to rest well.

We were greeted by Jennifer, who was stellar! Jennifer was very friendly and accommodating. She greeted us with a warm and inviting attitude and assisted us with securing a room. The room was decent, spacious and free of odors. The bed was comfy, the shower was clean, towels were soft, toiletries had a pleasant fragrance and breakfast was okay.

• Spa Suite with Two Queen Beds

My whole purpose of attending was to enjoy the spa, but the only service available was a facial. There were many rooms for massaging and nails, but the spa had no workers to accommodate us. I was very disappointed in this, especially since it was the week of April vacation.

Room and breakfast

• Spa Suite with Two Queen Beds

Breakfast food could have been warmer.

Nice room, great whirlpool tub, did not have time for spa but would love to go back for that, nice service, friendly staff.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

When I checked in Friday afternoon,there was long black hair on the bathroom floor. Same still there on Saturday evening. My hair is short. Disappointed.card key didn't want to cooperate.

The food was perfect and plenty. The staff was ready to see that we satisfied.

We wanted adjoining rooms didn't get what we asked for we were lead on about the rooms. Pool was dirty. Should have gave us a dis Count. Seeing how I reserved well in advance.

• Economy Queen Room

Wanted to charge 30$ to check in one hour early. Room was ready. Housekeeping called to prode me out at 10:40 day of checkout. Why do I pay a full day when I don’t get a full day? Check in should be earlier or early check in free if room is ready. Don’t dare bug me even one minute prior to check out!!!

Spa and amenities free breakfast

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The comfort of the beds.i slept on a pull out that was WAY better.

Jennifer at the front desk was amazing! The pool was gorgeous! My only recommendation would be cold wash clothes outside steam room and sauna! In an ice bath or rung out and placed on a tray! We had a wonderful stay.

• Economy Queen Room

The room was an old dingy motel room. I felt itchy to sleep in the bed. This place needs a renovation. I wouldn’t dream to walk barefoot anywhere in the room. Spa was nice but the room was terrible.

• Economy Queen Room

The pillows were too hard and the room was too hot despite every attempt to make it otherwise. Otherwise, the room was spacious, but the bathroom was oddly shaped. The shower could have been more powerful.

The Senator is one of those places that I’ve always wanted to stay because of its reputation. I didn’t get to use the pool/spa area although it sounds delightful. The breakfast was decent with lots of different items. It is anything but a continental breakfast. I like the free newspapers. The room was clean. The personal bath items were nice and the towels were great.

• Economy Queen Room

Nothing, I chose the Senator because I like it and believe it is a great value.

They have a very good breakfast bar with a variety of choices. Plus the staff is always friendly and pleasant to talk to.

• Economy Queen Room

I always have a great stay there, I understand sometimes checkout and checking can be haptic plus dealing with the internet websites are not always accommodating byt the stay itself is always plesant

I like that it's always so quiet and comfortable

• Spa Suite with Two Queen Beds

If we had had 2 nights instead of one.

We were too tired to take part in the breakfast or the pool but the jacuzzi tub and the comfortable beds were wonderful. We certainly will book this room again. It was a wonderful getaway for our busy lives.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Kids loved the pool and spa. The rooms werent as great, overall was a good stay. ...The cloud 9 restaurant was good, we really enjoyed their pizza and fried calamari.

One of the hallways smelled bad and our waitress said she had a cold but other then that it was all good

Food was good had fun in the pool and hot tub and steam room

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Could hear every word in room next to us, small room, old bathroom, paint updated but not great colors or quality work, room located far from spa. Comfort of bed was poor and tv could not be seen from one bed.

Location of hotel, big tv, beautiful pool area, very hot shower, nice decor of hotel and restaurant.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The website stated that fresh pastries would be available at breakfast. There were none. The bathroom was a bit shoddy and dated looking. There were no value meals available from the on site restaurant. Most meals were 20.00 and up. There were no menus in the room for local restaurant and delivery options.

The room was attractive and I especially liked the direct entrance from parking. I was happily surprised that there was sausage at breakfast since it was not noted on the website.

Bed was a bit too firm. Cloud 9 needs to bring back the brandy warmers.

The eggs were extra fluffy. However I felt the bed was a bit too firm. Check in and check out were good. Room was spotless and quiet. The Cloud 9 experience was superb as it always has been. Kudos to your long term waitress Patti! Although not our assigned waitress she provided service above and beyond. DO NOT LOSE HER! Breakfast was the best I've had at any hotel buffet.

Our stay was great until they charged us $381.50 after we checked out and went home, with no notification, for "smoking in our room". The only problem is, we didn't smoke in our room! The hotel manager said she would work with me and drop the fee down since it only took one night out of commission to get the alleged odors out, (which I have yet to see a refund - I see that my account was charged an additional $272.50 after speaking with her and then refunded $272.50 voiding out that charge but no additional refund!) I have contacted the hotel several times and it's hard to get ahold of either managers because they are never available. I understand it's a busy place and I am trying to be understanding because I am not the kind of person to be disgruntled but $381.50 is a lot of money to just take from somebody and not refund as promised after already showing account activity, especially when there was no smoking involved to begin with!! I have been going here since I was a child with my family and will absolutely be taking my business elsewhere. It's just a shame because we've always loved this place. PSA: If you or anybody in your room is a smoker, do not stay here because if you smell like smoke (tobacco or marijuana) you WILL be charged for smoking in your room. I have spoken to other individuals who have had this problem from this hotel via Facebook and there are quite a few of them.

Hot tub, restaurant, comfortable beds

Our first room (standard king) was clean and nicely appointed, but the decor (tilework, paint) was a bit dated and looking a bit "worn". Did not like that our first room had two doors: a drafty one to the exterior (like a motel); and another to the interior hallway that rattled whenever guests in nearby rooms shut their doors. It was a bit like being in a wind tunnel.

Shortly after checking in, we noticed a problem in the bathroom (ceiling leak above the toilet). Staff member at the front desk was friendly, apologetic and quickly moved us to another room, upgrading us from a standard king room to a king suite in the process. So we appreciated that, esp. since the original room, while very clean, was a bit noisy and drafty. Breakfast buffet was good; Cloud 9 was enjoyable for dinner; restaurant staff efficient and attentive. Would stay here again, but definitely would want a suite, not std room.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

There was a wedding at the hotel the night we stayed and they were up partying in the halls until 2am. My husband and I were there staying the night for our anniversary. It was the first time we got a night alone since our baby was born 7 months ago. We live close so we ended up leaving at 2am and going home because it was so loud that we couldn’t sleep. We tried to tell the front desk and they said they could talk to them but it didn’t help. They also wouldn’t give us any sort of refund since we booked through booking.com. So we were out $120 and didn’t sleep at all.

The sauna, hot tub and pool were wonderful!

It was a very long walk indoors from our room to the spa area. Unless we wanted to walk outdoors but it was very cold and snowing.

Enjoyed the pool and hot tub.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The room 103 was fine, I will forever wonder why the desk rings, there was also the constant sound of water dripping on ductwork above the bathroom, and while not a deal breaker, I love having some control over heating/cooling.

on Christmas day, as we returned home from our relatives The snow not being shoveled outside our room. and we did not know that there would not be breakfast served that day, muffins and sweet rolls YAK

Breakfast!! The fact that you have a gym, pool, and spa.

The way the room was set up. There wasnt much room between the end of the bed and the wall and the tv was right above your head.

Very friendly staff. Rooms were comfy.

The buffet was very disappointing. Our scrambled eggs, sausage and home fries. Not much of a choice. Did not want to wait to order off the menu. 2 of my group ordered from the menu and their meal came after the rest of the group were finished.

The e service was good. We had a large party and the staff were very attentive. Very clean and comfortable

The room really needs to be updated. The door didn't close properly, the rug was sooled, the pillows were horrible. Other than the food being good, we would not recommend this place.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The room was more than outdated with a dirty tub/shower and cracked tiles all through the bathroom. Their wasn't enough room for two people to walk by each other. Ordered room service and had to go pick it up at the bar. Had to request clean towels because house keeping never showed up, both days.

The pool was great for the kids as its depth doesn't exceed 4 1/2 feet. The breakfast was also a positive to the stay, good service and decent food.

Everything about this place was great. I particularly liked the exercise/spa/pool facility--beyond first class! The restaurant was excellent as well. I highly recommend this Inn!!

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The room was was very dated and could benefit from a deeper cleaning (mildew on the caulking on the sink). The pillows definitely need to be upgraded - they didn't have any life left in them.

The food was incredible! The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The food and the staff more than made up for the room itself.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Extremely convenient access as I was able to access the room from the parking lot and interior hallway. Very comfortable beds and I was able to get a good night's rest.

So far nothing!!!!

We stay there often our Daughter lives in Augusta and she got us our first room there which she paid for. We thought she spent alot of money, because of the comfort, the cleanliness, the Breakfast was delish!! the bed was perfect! the pool and was amazing. the bathrooms are big with shower, bath we had a Jacuzzi in ours with heat laps. I could go on and on very nice place!!!!!

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

We stayed at the property en route to Acadia: Easy access to the highway, across the street (walkable) from Target, Five Guys, Starbucks etc. Quiet property. Definitely more of a motel feel (park car at door) but with some upscale amenities: pool was very nice and there was a decent gym. Room was comfortable with plenty of space to move around. Plenty of outlets/USB charging ports.

The tea.

The food was very good. I missed the muffins they used to serve with the buffet breakfast but all else was very nice. The supper was delicious!!!!The tea was not hot enough and a ceramic teapot would have been niceer.

The room was not in good shape, especially the bathroom. It had tiles coming up from the floor, cracked walls and an overall feeling of uncleanliness. The website pictures are very misleading.

Tub-shower looked like they had been there since the 50's. WiFi was spotty. Pillows were way to big.

Staff and food were great. Great location. Stayed an extra night. Nice sized rooms.

It is an older hotel so it's a tad dated and the bathroom is small and needs a facelift. But it was very clean and comfortable so it's hard to complain.

Very nice location and nice spa facilities. The bed was nice and comfortable with fluffy pillows. The restaurant is very nice and they had gluten free options which I am very grateful for. The staff was extremely courteous.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was a bit dated and not super clean.

The beds were very comfortable. The staff at the hotel and restaurant were excellent. Lobster and crab omelet for breakfast was the best.

The pillows! Giant rock-hard boulders. And the heat in my room didn't work but weather was mild enough that I wasn't too cold.

Lovely place...wish I had brought a swimsuit as there's a beautiful spa with exercise equipment and indoor pool.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Dining Room food was overpriced for the quality of the meals. Brick oven pizza $14.99 was no different then frozen thin crust Delissio. The tea was totally disgusting; (not steeped) paper bag in a cup of water.

• Spa Suite with Two Queen Beds

Rooms could use some new paint and sprucing up.

Real gas fireplace. Pool great. Happy hour included excellent half price pizxas and discount drinks as well as oysters. Complimentary breakfast nice add on.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The room was awkward (two exits, weird layout), the TV remote didn't work (channel down worked, up didn't), and there was very little room to move around.

Overall, the hotel was 'okay'. I lived in this area a long time, and was familiar with the Senator. For the price, I thought it was going to be amazing, but it was not.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Included breakfast was sit down only. I had little time for pool use and much of it was taken up by water aerobics class and pool not useable.

Bed was very nice. Pool was beautiful. Steam room great!

The room smelled musty. The staff at check in was inefficient and stated they were from housekeeping and just helping out. They rented our room twice in the first six hours we were there...and yes, all the keys worked. Then a little after 9 Pm, the front desk called to see if we were holding over . What??? We just checked in a few hours ago....geez, is this a rent by the hour place? When I told her we had two different couples with keys (their keys worked) showing up and saying this was their room. She quickly stated I didn't do that. I will move you to another room. I said no thanks we will be leaving as soon as we can in the morning.. No apologizes just blame a coworker. Didn't get to the bathroom door . The door would only close 60% due to the rotten bottom half.

• Spa Suite with Two Queen Beds

The beds are old and terrible. The wifi doesn't reach into the rooms, only works in bathroom. The restaurant took 2.5 hours for a simple main course!

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was not sharp on customer service. They seemed impatient when asked to resolve an issue. Front desks answer to questions were I don't know. Simple questions like do you have outside menus, do you know who delivers.. Restaurant staff were rude and not accommodating We traveled from NY/NJ. We will not recommend

The hotel was clean and comfortable beds. There was nearby restaurants and stores

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Older inn, could use freshining,,,made up for by performance of staff

Breakfast,,,included with room was fabulous,,,fresh fruit eggs, pastry, great freindly service...Spa included with room also.. best value in the area

• Spa Suite with Two Queen Beds

The room was not cleaned and towels were not changed during our stay - reception said I had to request that separately. Air conditioner was very loud.

Good location, spacious and clean room, parking available in front of your room. Restaurant with good menu and variety (lobsters etc.).

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

I think I'd agree with those saying the Senator is a bit dated. They do a good job in sticking to the Senator/Roman theme, but the rooms are starting to look old, and as a result, rooms are more Spartan at this point (pardon the pun). Pay attention to the access road to the hotel too. It's a bit different.

We only stayed here one night as a stopover on a larger road trip. The hotel's layout is very conducive to road trippers, as you have an inside and an outside door, and you park right by your outside door. That part was nice. Also very accommodating staff, no worries about whatever we needed (family of 4 in one room). We also ate at the hotel's Cloud 9 Restaurant. If you have a vegetarian in the family (we do), their menu is very able to suit your group. That made us happy, as some hotel restaurants are not good at this.

• Economy Queen Room

- Hotel is really run-down; just in our room blinds were not working; bathroom was not super clean; carpets are outdated and look shabby - Breakfast buffet (what they call it) is a disgrace; they charges $4.25 for 3 stripes of bacon, as this is "not included in the buffet"

- Location - Combination of spa and hotel and restaurant

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Eccellent facility. The pool areas were beautiful. Loved the two entrances to the room, the furnishings, the lovely bathroom and fluffy towels. The breakfast was amazing with many options and the staff, from the front desk, to the spa, to the breakfast staff were friendly and so helpful. A great stay!!

I stayed last week there in a nicer suite and they had Keurig coffee and a jetted tub. This time the place looked dated and the coffee was not a Keurig. It was gross. The bed was not comfortable

The bathroom was beautiful

Wanted to use the hot tub eith my wife but it wasnt working byt the time they got it working it was 5 minutes before pool closed and another couple got in. The Eggs were gray in the morning and by the time new ones came out i had already finished my breakfast.

The bed was very comcortable and nice staff.

• Spa Suite with Two Queen Beds

I didn't have any complaints!

I ended up getting a free upgrade because the rooms were over booked. The room we had was beautifully decorated and the bed was extremely comfortable! The jetted tub was amazing and the tv in the bathroom was nice also. I loved the balcony and fireplace! It was one of the nicest stays I have ever had at a hotel! From the moment I walked in the hotel, I was extremely satisfied.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Out door hot tub was partially broken. Heated but no bubbles but the next morning it was being repaired!!!! Excellent

Staff at desk, in restaurant,in bar, and in the spa were friendly and willing to chat and answer questions. Heated pools were awesome Restaurant food was so very yummy especially the baked stuffed shrimp. Waiter was honest about what food was excellent and that the coleslaw that evening was excellent but different cooks and then it wasn't his favorite.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

The waitress we had the first night was not good. They put us off in the back but It was hot very very hot. The kids pizza sat for about 15 min and was only warm.

The lady at the front desk was excellent

• Economy Queen Room

Have used before. Seems run down ( at least our area/room). Woke up in the middle of the night because of STRONG cigarette smoke smell. ? room above or below venting into our room? It woke me up! Nauseating!

Location good for the event we went to- We have used the hotel before for family events in the area. Breakfast is always good!

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Economy Queen Room

In serious need of renovation and upgrade. Peeling paint, too small bathroom, inadequate shower facilities, generally clean, but rundown and not well maintained. Friendly staff, great breakfast, not too expensive, but very disappointed in the quality of the rooms.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

It's an old building with very few updates since the 1990s. Over priced and over hyped.

It's an aspiring spa... There is potential for a relaxing time.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Economy Queen Room

the rest of the room had a 40 years old look and smell, walls were just horrible to look at and the carpet had been there for centuries did not try pool or spa because it is open club to public and it was slammed.

the room had brand new bathroom that was beautiful Their best value must be the restaurant, breakfast is very impressive, not a huge selection but service is really great

• Economy Queen Room

The smell of our room was like moth ball city. The bed was also very hard, although the pillows were nice and soft.

We loved the saltwater/mineral pool. Super convenient because its right off the highway.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The first thing was that I requested early checkin in advance which was granted but then was told at the hotel that I wouldn't be able to. It wasn't too big of a deal but when we did get into the room, the rugs were stained and it just looked old. Nothing was worse than the breakfast though. Everything but the coffee was awful. Even the fruit was not great. The whole time I felt like if we had paid more we would've had a better experience which is not a great feeling.

The spa part is very nice, which includes the swimming pool.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Visually the room was clean but kind of run down looking (Rm105) and very small. The walls are SO thin I kept thinking our neighbors were IN our room and Not on the other side of the wall! The bathroom looked very institutional and the shower head made the water flow so weak I showered in the pool locker room shower instead. The front desk ladies were socially awkward and didn't seem to have the right dispositions for a front desk job where they are the face and embodiment of the company. The complimentary breakfast had a limited array and the set up was slightly awkward. The Inn made itself "seem" like a great choice, especially since they were charging over a hundred dollars a night. More like $75 a night would have been a sufficient asking rate.

Waitstaff Sunday morning, was top notch! Sauna was great after the salt pool. Everything was easily accessible. Loved the clouds painted on the ceilings. Liked the offering of Spa packages with Aveda products.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

TV reception quality wasn't that great in the rooms.

Clean rooms with nice comfy beds and a great staff. The free access to the spa is included with the cost of the room which is an added bonus! Great place to stay for a romantic getaway.

• Economy Queen Room

Although the place was clean the guest rooms are in really rough shape . Very old musty and damp . That being said the place itself is nice , the gym was great restaurant also great. Please update rooms , would not mind spending more money for a new updated room . We loved the location and amenities but it is not worth more then 69.00 a night because of rooms. Sorry hope the feed back helps

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms outdated (old decor, bedding outdated.

The rooms were indeed outdated but the restaurant is top notch. Bathroom in the room was updated nicely however.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Economy Queen Room

The room, while clean and comfortable, could use an update. The bathroom looked new, but the rest looked outdated. The bedding (sheets, SMALL pillows, blanket) all looked old. The sheets didn't fit well. However,the mattress was comfortable.

Friendliness/helpfulness of the staff.

The experience was absolutely amazing!!!! The staff were all amazing, The food was amazing, The facilities were AMAZING!!!! I would recommend this Augusta, Maine location to everyone!!!! I cant wait until my next stay-cation xoxo

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Honestly I did not sleep well at all~the room had an odor to it and I had a headache all night.i usually do not complain but this was not a good smell. I could barely breathe good.

Love the amenities and the breakfast at this hotel

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

The beds were very uncomfortable, if you book with a family you get put in the wing that hasn't been redone in what looked like years, (I know this because we booked a couples getaway a few months back and we had a great new room) the blankets had some gross substance on them, the toilet was filthy, and the hallway reeked of smoke. The front counter also called our room at 9:45 at night while everyone was sleeping to tell us that someone had smoked inside and to remind us of the no smoking policy because they couldn't pinpoint who it was. 9:45pm. That was ridiculous.

The hot tub was nice and the continental breakfast was good. Located walking distance to a Starbucks so that was ok.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

I've stayed here 2 other times and it was fantastic. This time not so much. For a hotel that promotes itself as a spa with fine dining etc. our rooms were terrible. Shower had cold water and didn't drain, bathroom floors were dirty, the sink didnt turn off, toilet ran all night, room had extension cords running through it, and to top it off the we lost power in both rooms while blowing dry our hair. Oh and how can I forget the dog 2 rooms down that barked all morning.

The two ladies at check in last night were great.

• Economy Queen Room

Walls were thin, the hot tub was closed which one of the main reasons we chose this hotel over others, very disappointed. Breakfast took me over 10 minutes for wait staff to even offer me coffee.

• Economy Queen Room

We enjoyed all the amenities, including the breakfast buffet! There was a wide selection and something for everyone. The staff were very courteous and helpful. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We will go back!

Browse Senator Inn & Spa traveller photo gallery