Reviews of Best Western Sterling Hotel - Charlotte 3 stars

242 East Woodlawn Road, Charlotte, NC 28217, USA

#84 of 138 hotels in Charlotte

Shuttle was aweful, tried to use it to pick up from airport and bring me to it next morning, failed to do so both times. Useless shuttle was the only reason I paid the extra 20$ over days inn

Normal hotel a little dingy not bad

The bed in our room was not comfortable at all. We had a busy day, so we were exhausted, but I woke up multiple times in discomfort, which persists today. Maybe it was just a one off happening, but unfortunately, it will deter us from staying there again.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Tasty continental breakfast with plenty of options. Convenient location to downtown.

Staff smoked and visited with each other just to the side of the main entry leaving no one at the reception desk.

Facility was clean and location was very good.

Only negative was every time we went outside we were approached by people hanging around and asking for money. Confrontation with one trying to get in a secured door with us to get in the building late at night. Security could be better.

Good continental breakfast, lot of choices. The breakfast attendant was amazing, checked with us if everything was ok, if we needed anything else. Room was clean and housekeeping did a great job daily.

We were on the 3rd floor for 2 nights, and there was strong cigarette smoke smell in the hall. Someone was obviously smoking in their room. Did cleaning staff report the smoke smell, and management did nothing? Who knows. We finally reported it when we checked out at 5:30 a.m., and the desk clerk seemed surprised. Very noisy A/C.

Great location, near the airport, less than a block from a Lynx light rail stop, and walking distance to local breweries and a good restaurant. Quiet.

Noise in room next door. Could here every word till 2in the morning when I wised. Up and turned on AC on high. Bed was a little hard but not bad

It was clean

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

No duvets...one sheet and a thin blanket in winter...no extra blankets in the room. Very thin walls...you could hear your neighbors snore.

The staff were very friendly.

No transportation to the Amtrack station.

Very happy with room and location. Easy to hop on train to downtown with no hassle. The staff were very nice and accommodating, especially the lady who oversaw the breakfast prep. We met another couple there to celebrate birthdays and all of us agreed to stay there on our next trip to Charlotte.

The rooms were outdated especially the bathrooms , the faucets and showers did not work well at all .

Your staff was amazing , friendly and accommodating

Hard to get in and out of hotel. In a busy street with no light to make a left into Chastain St. Small lobby and business center.

Hot breakfast was good, eggs, bacon, waffles.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

After I checked out I realized that I lost my wallet. I hadn’t been anywhere except the hotel so when I went back about 30 mins later , the room had already been cleaned and no one claimed to have saw it. I really think one of the maids saw it and kept it.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The printer did not work. However the person at the desk printed off what we needed.

We enjoyed our stay meet all of our needs. The lady that works in the breakfast area was very helpful, polite and kind.

Room was clean. Staff was great, helpful and understanding. Location is conveniently ten minutes from Uptown, not to mention the variety of restaurants on the same street (Carolina Prime is awesome!). Overall a good stay and I would stay again.

The TV had a poor quality picture. And it did not have the NBC channel for some reason. Quality of breakfast food was average.

The bed was very comfortable. Amenities in the room were satisfactory.

I ate all of my meals outside of the property. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the property. And the prices are reasonable.

Our flight to Key West was cancelled. Within a few minutes we were booked and on our way to the hotel. Staff could have been overwhelmed but kept calm and friendly.

The bed was the only complaint....squeaked a lot too....

No...the bed was not like a cloud...felt like the king size bed was on a queen size frame....and oh....small area for breakfast....had to wait to sit down...

Dump !

Just a overall dump ! Front desk chatting on phone with boyfriend while check in. Musty room. No shower curtain and no maintiance to correct it. Could not wait to get out of the room. Run away fast from this place folks !

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not really clean. I found weird dirt on the pillows. The person at the front desk wasn't familiar with the check-in system and took about 7-8 minutes to finally check me in. The hotel is surrounded by a bunch of fast food restaurants. My room is on the first floor directly facing a Burger King, which is less than 50 feet away, with no fences or any walls at all. Don't feel safe at night. Comparing to the price it charges me, definitely overpriced.

There are a gym and business center at the hotel. Staff are pretty nice and friendly.

Housekeeping came knocking at my door at 830 in the morning waking us up. Somehow we were booked for two different rooms so they were trying to figure out what room we were in. Ants in the shower and closet and my fiancé stepped in an ant hill getting into the car getting eaten up by fire ant on her ankle. And the response from the manager was there was nothing they can do about it bc it was outside. The bed was hard as a rock so restless nights of sleep.

The room itself was clean but the walls were paper thin so you could hear everything in the room next to you. The corridor smelt of smoke even though we were on a no smoking floor, which I didn't like.

We stayed here for a football game last Sunday. The reason we stayed was its proximity to the LYNX light rail, which was just a short walk away. Check in was fine and the beds were comfortable although the room was a bit on the small side. Staff were friendly and there was lots of parking. It wasn't far away from shopping either. The two rooms booked were across from one another, which was excellent. I thought this was good value for the money I paid. Breakfast was nice although the staff wasn't quick to top up things that were low (we did go quite late though).

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had made reservation for 4 people and they only left towels for 2 and after telling them we still had to go get more towels

Great location easy access to rail car and walking distance to restaurants

The rooms were very outdated and need some sprucing up. The room also had a musty smell. The room was clean. The room did look nicer on the online pics, then they did in person.

I enjoyed the breakfast, especially the waffles! The lobby area was really nice and looked modern, staff was excellent! The location was close to everything.

The staff was extremely friendly & helpful. It was great to have the train right there to take you downtown. Beds were comfy & breakfast was great too(lots of options).

We had very noisy neighbors that were having some sort of party. The doors were extremely thin and we could hear every word and movement. I did not sleep well.

It was fine, but nothing extraordinary.

Bed was very hard so I didn't get a lot of sleep. Room was 60 degrees when I entered, so had to turn heat on for a little to take the chill off. I know this keeps mold down so it is not a big deal.

The room was spotless. Very clean. I was glad they had last minute accommodations for me, especially since it was the night before the Eclipse and rooms were hard to find. It was nice and quiet.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

There was no shower curtain in the bathroom. The building needs some major upkeep. The electrical outlets looked charred and burnt and some were about to come out the wall. The breakfast was fair although the sausage was swimming in about two inches of grease and water.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

breakfast had a lot of options but for me personally .. home made oatmeal would have been great(the packets are available though) and an option of almond milk..

close to Lynx light rail.. close to restaurants... fitness facility .. staff very attentive.. they immediately fixed the hot water in my room.. staff also very friendly and helpful with directions ..

The shuttle was small and there were too many people going to the hotel so we had to wait for the driver to take those passengers and return for us. We waited overall for about an hour.

It was quiet, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was decent.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The air in the room didn't get as cold as it should've but the temperature was still tolerable and nothing to complain about.

Breakfast,staff, location

The staff was nice but the quality of the room was horrible. My shower was broken, the whole room drunk like mold and mildew. The carpets are in the worst condition. Definitely need a cleaning. Will not be back.

Air conditioning system VERY noisy. No safe deposit box in the room.

Excellent value for the money. Excellent wifi connection and breakfast (served from 5.30 am). Very spacious room and extra-large bed. Free shuttle for the airport and very close to LYNX station (15 min ride to downtown).

Had a bit of an uncomfortable experience on the train coming back from the conference one night but not serious. The hotel itself was very good value for money. The smokehouse across the street was brilliant.

The location close to the train station is perfect. The train fees are reasonable and the train runs every 10 minutes.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

My mom and I were there while my father was in the hospital. We did not arrive until late and there was a bank that had closed in front of the hotel. There were some sketchy people up under the drive thru of the bank yelling at one another when we got there and several people up there when we left the next morning. None of these people said anything to us; but when 2 women arrive somewhere at night it just made us feel uneasy for those people to be up there yelling in the dark above where we parked our car.

Bed was good

Kim the woman that serviced the breakfast area amazing. She works so hard. From the time we walked in to the time we left. Excellent. The rooms are clean. Staff was great.

The area was a bit dark. The biker bar across the street was disturbing but once in the hotel we felt very safe. The parking lot was a little too dark and not enough parking close to the building but that is merely an inconvenience and not a deal breaker.

For the value the accommodations were wonderful. The rooms smelled fresh and clean. The bathrooms were very clean and fully stocked. The maid service promptly made up the room when we left.

Need more pillows on bed. Staff was very friendly and accomodating.

In town for a 5k, and location was great to get to downtown. Hotel was very busy. Plently of eating in walking distance. Breakfast was ok, same as any other continental.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Elevator was broken when we arrived and it was still out of order when we left (we stayed for 3 nights?!)

Good breakfast, with many options and very helpful and friendly lady always providing more food and cleaning around so the space was perfect

did not clean our room after 2nd night, having the breakfast 3 mornings in row is not so good but I should have gone out

room was comfortable, had shuttle to airport, breakfast was free

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

a roach ran out of the coffee maker. Yes out of the coffee maker. Then another roach visited while I did my makeup. Small new roaches too, so they had friends in the wings. But the room seemed tidy and clean and smelled OK

Facility appreared clean and smelled nice. Updated lobby & rooms.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Loud in the halls. Dirty broken lampshade on desk. Styrofoam coffe cups. Only a bath gel/shampoo for toiletries. Overpriced at $195 (once taxes figured in) and not worth the money

Bed was large and pretty comfortable

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

I can't think of anything that I didn't like.

The room was close to the desk walk in shower was wonderful. I'm on oxygen and all of this made my stay easy. Breakfast was also great and not far from the room. Staff was friendly and helpful during check-in and check-out. Thanks

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Water was not clear. Sink was little clogged. One light on bath was out. Water was constantly running in toilet. Didn't even fixed after complaint.

Bed was nice. Love breakfast facilities. Location was wonderful.

Arrived at midnight. Room smelled very bad, staff did not have aerosol air freshener. Security door was jammed open with a towel. Immediately beyond the area was unkempt and it appeared inhabited by homeless. Cancelled 2nd night.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Room (111) had been redone, as was entire hotel, but needs further work. upholstered chair worn in seat. old and scuffed up furniture, though serviceable. Some of the refurbished work done sloppy (things didn't mesh), mold in grout in bath. The breakfast area poor flow, people were always in other's way, crowded, like going thru maze, and we were early and only half full. As handicapped, disappointed steps going from entry to breakfast area not well marked and I almost fell, but kudos for "elevator" type thing for wheelchairs to get down..

I liked the bed, my wife did not. The breakfast was good. Personnel at desk helpful, friendly, and competent. Wi-Fi quirky but when I got hang of it, it worked fine and my wife had no problem getting on with her computer while I was on with mine. Room reasonable for one that had been rehabbed. They honored my need for room close to desk area -- only three away on first floor. Several good restaurants within 5 minute walks as was train service to convention center, where I had business. Convenient to I-77 as well as couple of alternate routes (Tryon and South Blvd).

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

People smoking near my room from 9 pm to after midnight. My room was right next to outdoor exit but they kept door propped open. Bed was broken as well.

Location Near kennel my pups were staying and close to work

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

The hotel was under renovation and you could smell paint fumes in hall ways and rooms.

The staff were very friendly. The location was close to the highway and was very easy to find your way around.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed all aspects of our stay at Best Western.

The bed was really hard. It was really uncomfortable.

It was located in the center of everything. Easy access to everything.

Breakfast was poor and breakfast room was small.

Location, local place for food

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was not what I expected. Thought they were queen size

There was dirt behind the bathroom door. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned for months.

Clean ans the location was great

That I had to take a cab to my locations

Location was perfect

It’s wasnt nothing to like this the best hotel ever!!!

The beds was just right ☺️

The night desk clerk was so very nice & went out of her way to be helpful. She was a big black woman but I didn’t get her name.

All

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The area was a little sketchy. There was car window glass in the parking lot. The hotel seems pretty run down.

They had a room.

Poor breakfast, but it is standard in BW in US.

Wi-fi, parking, breakfast, all in price. No problem to stay for a while.

My view from window.

Staff extremely friendly!!

Wi-if signal was really weak on the third floor. Couldn’t keep a connection.

Great location. Good Pricing. Quiet.

Close to several fast food restaurants

Clean and conveniently located to shopping

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was charged a late check out fee and wasnt informed it would be one.

It was a very clean hotel. The staff was friendly.

Room was clean staff was very helpful location was great to where I had to go even guest was friendly and helpful

There were hairs in the tub.

The bed was very comfortable.

Price was high for me.

Omelette n coffee

Facility needs upkeep. Several thing were broken or needed replaced.

Clean and in a good area.

Not enough breakfast

The staff was very welcoming.

Slow elevator, breakfast options too limited

The location and value for money

Analog tv. You need to be using HD in 2018.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No body wash in bathroom

Convenience to the light rail.

Nice continental breakfast.