Reviews of Torch Lite Inn at the Beach Boardwalk 2 stars

#49 of 58 hotels in Santa Cruz

6.1

6.2

The room and smell

Smelt so bad there was holes in the wall the lights kept going off and on and looked like there was a fight in the floors were moist and u can tell the sliding door was broken out the little fridge had dents on it

The pool was cloudy the pump not working. That was a little bit of a bummer. Pillows were sort of hard. No cable! Air conditioner wasn't working right. Someone was welding outside our door and painters were all over the property..cords were hanging out by the stairs could be a hazard.

The staff was very nice and helpful! The room itself was clean and updated. The bed was pretty cozy. Location to the beach was pretty close.

Late check in, rooms not ready. Pool out of service. Noisy with poor sound insulation so you can hear footsteps all around, but when everyone goes to sleep bliss. It is old and renovation is going on, but overall represented good value for money.

Centrally locates and easy to visit the Boardwalk. Buffet breakfast was OK. Staff were obviously under pressure but in the circumstances were most helpful

Everything!

When we arrived we had no towels, they said they were working on it and that their washer was broke. Parking was limited because they had construction ongoing with their building. The pool was dirty and they said the pool pump just broke. We asked since we couldn’t use the pool would they consider some compensation and the clerk replied that she could not do that. So then we asked for a refund for the 2nd night and we would go somewhere else, and she said that would have to go through booking.com. Breakfast the next morning was just as disappointing, the machine for coffee had only hot water and there were no spoons to eat cereal with. I went to the office and it was closed. So it wasn’t until 1/2 hour later that I could address the matter with staff. When we got to our car to leave a construction worker was cutting a metal gate next to our vehicle and there was metal shavings covering our vehicle!! We asked for a garden hose so we could rinse the vehicle off before going to a car wash. It was a bad experience from arrival to departure!

Walls are thin...know that can't be changed. Construction crew outside my door cutting down a steel fence at 7:30 am was not okay.

Staff was very nice, room was very clean and comfortable.

The vanity light was not working. We only had the desk lamp. When I called the front desk, the receptionist told me that there is nothing she can do, that she had to wait for the manager. Manager never showed up, so we only had that bedside light and the desk lamp, which is so dusty!

Close to the boardwalk.

Looks a bit scruffy but that was due to workmen improving the fencing at the pool.

Looks like the management really care and are trying to improve the place. Just an impression as no-one around to discuss it with. Reception let us book in early.

This is a pretty long in the tooth hotel. The staff is available and friendly, but this place is not super nice to look at. Perfect if you just want a place to hang your hat and have a clean bed, but it's not real nice. Rate seemed a little high for the state of the place.

Not enough quality facility materials like soap feels rough on the skin, no lotion. Needs cleaning like dusting. Homeless people can just come in anytime because the property isn't secure.

The air conditioner had very old and dusty filters and didn't work properly.

The room was super clean and comfortable, staff was friendly good service, the breakfast was exceptional, great amenities we appreciate the coffee machine in room.

We got to town around 1, check in isn't untill 3. I understand the need for late check in, I would rather wait, and have a clean room, but an earlier check in would have been nice. My room smelled like body order. The beds and pillows are hard, springy, & uncomfortable.

While I have a few complaints; I am still happy with our stay. It was my 12 year old daughter and I, and we felt very safe. Families with kids in many of the rooms. My room was clean, has working microwave, fridge, and small coffee pot. Free breakfast was nice; fresh coffee, juice, Cereal, pastries, & fruit. Even though check in isn't until 3. They let me park my car for free untill check in. We walked to the boardwalk. (5-10min walk)

Blood on walls and ceiling, tv did not work and wall bracket broken, smoke detector had been removed and not replaced, screen door cut open from bottom, lights over sink off wall, holes in bathroom walls, hallway main entrance door doesn't work and secondary door had to be kicked open, double charged upon checkout with no refund

Facility desperately needs renovation. Smelled a little strange. Fridge door was scratched & damaged. Only button that worked on the TV remote was ON/OFF. Sun beds by the pool were covered in dust. All night long we were listening people walk in upstairs room. Did not refilled breakfast table.

Friendly staff. King size bed. Pretty close to Boardwalk (5-7) min walk. Had fridge. Had hairdryer.

The property was pretty run down and not clean or well maintained. There was not much to the breakfast. The staff seemed indifferent.

It was in Santa Cruz 15 minutes from the boardwalk.

the picture and description made it look like we were close to the beach but in fact we were no where near the beach.

no breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable.

Dirty needles in parking lot and not safe. My car was vandalized in broad daylight even with the cameras pointing directly at the lot. All caught on camera but didn't save me the inconvenience of a missing driver's side window on the way back home to Bay Area and dealing with insurance claims and body repair.

Location to boardwalk. However, that's what's NOT to like about it as well. See below.

The beds we're worn out and uncomfortable, curtains we're filthy, fridge didn't work. There was a big crack in the door frame that allowed the cold night air in.

Location to the boardwalk was good.

How dirty this hotel was, my room smelled like cigarettes. The place was disgusting overall. The refrigerator was rocking back and fourth when you would open it. Parking was horrible.

Nothing. The photos for this hotel are not accurate.

Beds and pillows were uncomfortable though attiquite. Breakfast was good but they need to keep it stocked.

Good value for the area. Nothing fancy but clean and priced Right.

Room was filthy, cockroach ran across the bathroom floor, carpet was ripped and we stepped on the tack strip. Drunk group of people arguing outside of our room until after 3am, tried to call the front desk and no one answered. Horrible experience!

Called the front desk and there is no one to answer due to a noise complaint. Seriously the worse ever! Very ghetto and filled with drugs and hookers. It’s suppose to be 24-hour desk and it’s not!!! Worse place I have ever been in !!!

It was a extremely ghetto environment! Hookers and lot's of shady business was happening there the night I stayed there. It was unpleasant for the price I payed.

The price was ridiculously high ,it's in a very bad part of town .alot of crime drugs and unfavorable and untrusting or shady looking people all hours of the night.smelled horrible inside hallway.alot of homeless hang out there too.never saw any housekeepers working trash stayed outside my door all day and I had to go get my own towels if needed from them.not clean sanitary feel at all.

The owner was nice and friendly,the pool looked clean and refreshing

Would never stay at this place again.. Car broken into in the parking lot.. way to many drug addicts in and out off that hotel.. I only saw security during the day.. Front workers are horrible!!!

how Close it is to the beach

Staff was not helpful; all but one of the gates were locked making it difficult to unload luggage and kids with relation to parking; lock on door was broke

Room was clean

Filthy and torn curtain and lampshades. Very busy homeless traffic. When I checked out I told the guy at the desk about someone unlocking my door. He said my bad I was checking to see if the room was vacant.

It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in It was so noises I didn't get to sleep We could hear the people above us ALL night long Thumping as they walked around and talked We could hear the people outside our room as if the window was open When I complained about it I was told don't worry those people are checking out Well the same thing happened the second night People talking and thumping and yelling outside the door Definitely will not stay here or recommend it again

The location was ok

Broken coffee maker broken hairdryer. Very stiff mistress. Only one light for room and 40 watt blub. Tv picture grainny and bolted to walk with wood border so no way to plug a device in to watch my videos since tv picture was bad. Asked for working coffee maker but brought another maker with no carafe and the other one was missing too. Even the door lock stuck when trying it to open and I'm handicapped so need this stuff. IM in my 60' s and had bad rooms before but by far the worst and counter person took over a hour or more to respond. And they weren't busy on a thursday check in at 4 pm either. Bad at any price...but close to the boadwalk. Is that's the only reason your there. Ps I go camping 4 times a year. I would say it was like that but sleeping on the ground and that bed was a toss up...avoid this. Redone motel 6. .Jay.

It was 2 blocks from boardwalk

I asked if i could chrck in early he said yes, came in room wasnt ready, came back 2 hrs later gave me a room, it still wasn't ready. After i walked upstairs with all my stuff and a crazy 3 year old

It was close to.the board walk

Promised breakfast at time of booking. We didn't even get a continental breakfast the fist day. We walked in at 8:30 am, and there was a toaster but no bread!! You need to change your website to maybe CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST, instead of breakfast.

Location, cleanliness was ok

Poor location, run down facility, gangster type people running it. Breakfast room locked - no breakfast- No TV remote - had to go back to office to get one, guy with no shirt on came out to get one and put new batteries in it, got to room and it won't work and to have them come to room to fix it. Drunks yelling around the area of room from midnight to 430 am!

The pricing seemed a bit inflated, but was likely due to spring break and the great location. The room seemed a bit dark and dingy, maybe redecorating in lighter colors would freshen it up.

It was so nice to check in and walk to the beach and amusement park rides.

The picture of the pool and rooms are deceiving this is a Motel 6 level hotel and the pictures made it seem better. The room was small, poor tv and channel selection, and the hotel seems run down.

Its close to the boardwalk. Has some stuff for breakfast.

The proporty and room were worn out and in need of general maintenance. Sloppy cleaning, especially in the outdoor areas.

Location - walking distance to beach and downtown main street. Fair price.

The manager gave our room to another guest so we had to switch rooms multiple times. I requested the manager call me to discuss the issue but he never did. Price was too high for the lack of service or accommodations. Last choice when visiting santa cruz again.

Sunny was great, welcoming and helpful. The location is super. Beautiful pool too! We were out of our room alot , on the boardwalk, dinner, etc. The front desk responded super fast to any questions or needs. Thank you

Filthy room, garbage piled behind mini-fridge, coffee maker filled with putrid water, blankets had cigarette burns, hole in bathroom wall, drawer in bed-side table full of crumbs. exterior garbage cans piled high with no lids

pool water crystal clear

Disgusted W cleanliness of room Toilet dirty Pubes in sheets Very dirty carpet Mold Low lighting Crappy tv Scary characters all around Breakfast was a loaf of bread and an empty jar of peanut butter Coffee and juice “out of order”

Pool was clean

Before I leave vallejo I asked with front desk is swimming pool is heated he reply yes and when I been there is freezing When I checked in I asked xtra towel with front desk guy he told me go get towel in pool and I’ll get in 10-15 min never showed up In the morning when we go to family eat breakfast coffee machine is out of order as well as juice machine is out of order,I didnot see any fruit at all

We were worried about our vehicle and contents. Parking was horrible and we felt unsafe. A fight broke out by the pool at about 9:00 scared our pizza delivery guy. We had to have pizza delivered no food in walking distance. Not a good experience.

The bed was comfy. The room was clean.

Bed was hard light switch didn’t work had to walk across the room to turn the lights on. Terrible neighborhood, always people arguing and fighting outside. Graffiti on the walls across the street which is pretty scetchy. Management and front desk (Sunny) was very unpleasant to deal with.

Nothing at all. Front desk attendant “Sunny”was very unpleasant to talk to. He told me to lie to Booking.com in order to get my refund back but he didn’t keep his part of the deal. Said he’d charge us for the first night only but charged us for two nights and cancellation. Received 40 back plus deposit. Overall he should be fired and management here should change.

The floor next to the sink was all sticky I don't know if it was the cleaning solution that was being used or something spilled before we got there

The staff was excellent. The guy "Sunny" who checked us in was very helpful and polite

The clerk was not very helpful. I had arrived around 11:20pm and told him I would arrive around that time. I had to wait 10 minutes or more outside for him to answer the door so I could check in and then he had given me the wrong room. Also, the continental breakfast time is not correct. In the room a placard will tell you it is from 7am-9am. It was ready around 8:25am.

In an okay location. Pricing was alright. Clean rooms.

No parking, scummy people lurking around, dirty rooms, management is shady. They tried to keep my deposit, saying they returned it to me two days before checking out. The "breakfast" was available when management decided to open the room, not as scheduled. I will not be returning to this place. I'd rather sleep in the alley, along with the homeless population that seems to be so comfortable there.

It was close to the beach.

The room maintenance was a complete 0, TV wasn’t working, remote control not batteries, fire alarm out of battery, heating wasn’t heating, curtains falling, and an endless list

The walking distance to the interest points

while we were able to check into our hotel 2 hours prior to the official check in time, the property over sold and under delivered. We were a family of 4 people, our room came with 2 only two towels. Once we checked in we contacted the front desk to request additional towels a few washcloths. By 6 p.m. we had not received any of the items requested, we again went to the front desk to request the towels and washcloths and as again told they would bring them to our room. Again none of the requested items were brought to our room, by the next day we had to shower with the paper towels we brought from home. Given our issues we will not be staying at this property and will not recommend it to anyone else.

I have stayed at this hotel before in the First Building and it was very pleasant. However, this time I was placed in the back Building. I parked my truck in the back parking lot and there were two sketchy looking Men there. I thought I could possibly get mugged. I reported this to the Manager and he said he would ask them to leave. However, I did not see him do anything. The front door to get into the Building had card access to get in the Building that did not work so it made it difficult for in and out access to the Building. Plus it was so noisy in the Building the people in the surrounding were very loud and were having a party and never once did the Hotel Manager tell them to quiet down. So I was not able to sleep. Plus the hallway smelled horrible like someone had smoked in there. The only good thing of my stay was that the room was very clean. In my opinion it was fairly expensive for the experience I had. I have stayed at cheaper hotels and have had a pleasant stay.

The only thing I liked of this stay was that the room was very clean.

There were no pillow cases in either of my two hotel rooms. It took 4 hours and 4 calls to the front desk for them to provide me 3 pillow cases, there were 8 pillows. There were no towels in one of the rooms when I called down stairs I was told they did not have any more towels. Luckily there were 3 towels in the other room and I was able to get one from there. Also in one of my rooms a very inappropriate word had had written in about 4 inch lettering on the ironing board.

Nothing, would never stay at this hotel again.

I think the place and the price are excellent. we bring our car and went with family, we have a very happy night there and the environment of the room is sufficient for us to have a fun. I will live there if we have the opportunity to go Road No. 1.

All the baby spiders in the bathroom and wash area. There had to of been over 100 of baby spiders. 2 towels for a family . Maids said they clean and the spiders were all over and the floors were dirty.

Close to the beach and the man that check us in was wonderful

The hotel seemed to be like an apartment complex. There were some very questionable people hanging around often and into the night. The surrounding alley was unsafe and the street adjacent was a busy thorough fare so a bit noisy. The rooms seemed to have been updated but dusty, the fridge was noisy and if you opened the curtains everyone could see in. For safety needed to keep them closed so very dark.

Cockroaches! Big ones, med ones, baby one. Rug was torn, in bathroom, bath tub needed repairs. I Had to ask for towels.

Santa Cruz Boardwalk was not to far.

The staff is a bit unfriendly, seem bothered to have to assist guests. Parking is limited

The room had been updated/remodeled. It was clean and comfortable. It was also in a great location.

No soundproofing at all ! The heater was not working in the room we stayed in.

Nice motel with good beds and a nice heated swimming pool. Breakfast was nice with plenty of choice.

The man who checked us in late at night was wonderful. My kids took one room I the other. In the morning the kids told me about the bugs and I told them about the dirt and how my curtains wouldnt close. The owner who I told about the bugs and the filthy walls and filthy airconditioner and the pulled out firealarms was very rude. Instead of offering to resolve the issues he told me to check out and he would refund me my money. I booked another place then he refused to refund me for the first night only the next two nights. He argued with me said since we saw some problems at 11pm and despite knowing they had no other rooms available we should still have complained that late at night to them instead of first thing in the morning. He argued with me more than a few times and insisted he would only refund me if cancelled right away. i had gotten a very low room rate and immediately saw that he listed two rooms available for more than double what i had paid. there were no fire alarms but he didnt care and my kids said the rooms smelled like marijuana and he said some of his workers stayed in those rooms the night before as if that was okay. terrible place rude owner and no fire alarms plus outside no fire extinguishers anywhere on property. when we were leaving a bum from the street was taking a poop in the parking lot next to my car. lots of bums in parking lot.

That they wernt as helpful as i like them to be it would be nice for them to try to care more about there customer hospitality because they have to understand some ppl come from far and we need a place were the customers service should be more helful.

Thats it closeto the beach and its a desent price.

There was a smell to the room. It says no smoking, but it smelt like smoke. It could have come in from outside, but it was very overpowering. It is right on a main street, so the traffic was loud, and we could hear everything from the rooms around us.

The price was great for a 1 night stay. And it is just over the bridge from the boardwalk.

The rooms were old and the whole hotel was unclean. The beds weren't comfortable they sunk in when you laid on it.

The staff were nice and friendly

Even though it was close to the attractions, it wasn’t located in a great area. The facilities were pretty run down, and my room smelt like weed constantly.

It was close walking distance to the boardwalk and downtown.

Our room didn't have a functioning ceiling light and the Wifi didn't work for half of our stay. The toilet seat was loose and the carpet floor hadn't been cleaned properly prior to our arrival.

The beds and the sheets were nice; clean and comfy. The room was pretty clean, the bathroom was very clean. The breakfast room was small and only paper/plastic plates and cutlery were available, but the breakfast selection and quality was good. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Charged my card even after I payed in cash, and did not give out receipts. Hotel room was not inspected well enough. Food from previous guests we left in microwave, molded. After room was cleaned, an empty bottle of vodka was left behind. We did not bring any alcohol.

Parking was very easy to access and location was close enough to the boardwalk and downtown. Made driving around easy to do.

The tweakers, the busted in window, the lack of towels, the noise, the crack pipe I found, the fridge that smelled of puke, thinking I was going to get shanked

The tweakers were entertaining

SEE ABOVE STAY AWAY>>>>>>>>

Resident heroin dealer all his customers welcome to free brekfast after scoring in morning we had our window smashed bags and property stolen. Police and front desk fully aware no one cares found lots of empty bags and clothes in nearby bushes God knows how many people this has happened to before ......Stay away!!!!!!!

Check in was fast and the man at the front desk was very helpful. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. Breakfast was good. Loved that the coffee machine in the breakfast room also had espresso!! Will definitely be back again. Great value :)

Scary neighborhood/area. I wouldn’t feel safe walking around there. Dirty sheets. They didn’t provide a remote to the tv until after we asked for one. We spent a lot of time searching for a remote to find out they had it in the office.

I did not like that the coffee maker in the room was broken, but I did not ask to replace it because we could go without it.

I like that the bed is pretty clean and the restroom is clean as well. Parking is free. Breakfast is provided. They also allowed us to do early check-in. There’s also a fridge and tv.

Upon check out, I kindly informed the owner/manager about what had happened. He became defensive and told me I only told him this at departure to get a discount. I had already paid and did not ask for any kind of compensation, but he glared at me and loudly said to go ahead and give him a zero (I am assuming he meant review) because all I wanted was money. I didn't, I just thought he might like to know what was happening in his far wing, since when I left one of the screaming women was still there smoking on the balcony. He was very rude, and by far the worst part of the experience...and that includes the vomit and the rash!

Entering the hallway to our room there was a large amount of vomit on the carpet inside the door...there was black hairs on the shower wall, and the people across from us were propping open the door and letting people in all night (pretty sure they were buying drugs)...between midnight and 3 am (both nights we stayed there) there was fighting in the hall outside our door, and a woman screaming and cursing at about 4 the second night. Night one, after 2 am our phone rang 3 times, and when I picked it up, I was greeted with heavy breathing. I tried to call the front desk, but no answer, and I was too frightened to leave my room. I would have cancelled night 2, but my boyfriend's family was coming in the next day to celebrate his birthday...plus, I couldn't afford to find another place to stay and lose my money from this Hell hole. The bed was comfortable, but the uncleanliness of the bathroom and hall, made it very difficult to have faith in the bedding. I guess I was right to be afraid, because I came down with an itchy rash halfway through my day of departure, that plagued me for over a week. The fridge broke while we slept dripping and destroying all of our food, the power didn't work around the bathroom sink, and the drain in the sink wouldn't' open. The towels were stained with the outline of masacara and other yellow spots...I could go on, but you get the point...

The parking garage on the far side of the motel smelled of urine. People I assume urinated in the far garage so they would be undetected. The room had a musty smell and it was noisy from the street traffic.

The owners attention to technical difficulties had to wait 1 hour before checking in and that's after I had to show staff how to job in case of emergencies that make the job impossible of doing. The owners need to have back up plans and care a lot more for there business... I saw countless of reservations being pushed back hours because of there internet and computer malfunction... That didn't allow reservations to be processed on time.

I liked the staff

the room was not ready when we arrived. We moved to a room with 2 queen beds. there was not toilet paper dispenser in the room and no toilet paper. The rug was wet from a plumbing leak. The breakfast room was small and they were only open from8-9 am. The rooms was not made up the second day after I requested it be ready by 2 pm. nothing had been done. The phone was disconnected. The worst place I have ever stayed

Absolutely nothing

The room was very unsanitary conditions, and cockroaches and Dusty dirty shower..walls and dirty bedroom walls and door handles

The property was a nice setting

Security deposit was needed, not mentioned ahead of time, couldn't plan ahead for it.

Amazing time, much better than expected, 8/10 would recommend!

Our refrigerator made an annoying sound. I asked the front desk. They didn't even want to take a look and only suggested (without getting up) to just turn it off. Since I was tired of the trip I just unplugged it. Ergo: A little bit more helpful staff would be better. We have our own series to watch via a laptop and we usually connect it to the TV. In this motel, and the only one we have encountered, has disabled the possibility to connect your own things. Why? I didn't want to ask, 'cause maybe they might suggest to just turn it off... Cleaning lady thinks she can sing very good because we could hear her 3 doors down. And believe me, it's not x-factor material (sorry). Ow, and fix the door to the breakfast area! Nobody could get in!

Nice rooms with coffee making possibilities, big beds, tv, and quiet. The internet was good. There were people at the pool around 9 pm and from 10 pm it was quiet, just like the rules pointed out. I don't know if the staff looks out for this, but it is still nice. Breakfast in most motels is not a 10, but this one has bread, coffee, sweet buns, juices and different kind of things to put on the bread. So I would give it an 8. Location is good. Not very busy and a small walk to the boardwalk. There you can find restaurants. We were there in low season, so the place was literally deserted.

I didn't like the sketchy people that hung around everyday in the parking lot or directly on the street right by the parking area. A homeless guy was even going pee in the parking lot right by my car! And that same guy was walking around the hallway just wandering and smelled so bad! Very uncomfortable!

The room was very clean inside and had all the ammenities we needed.

hotel not that clean. Walls thin. We did not feel safe at this location. Check out location on trip advisor first! Stay on the other side of the harbour if you plan to visit Santa Cruz. We only stayed one night despite being booked in for two. We weren't that impressed with area or hotel, hence we cut our stay here short and headed back to Monteray.

Bed was okay. Room of ok size. Fridge was handy.