Reviews of Holiday Inn Chicago North-Evanston 3 stars

1501 Sherman Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201, USA

#4 of 8 hotels in Evanston

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Everything was fine

Just the fact that I accidentally booked 2 rooms instead of one and got charged for both and tried to cancel it but was unable I spoke to the lady at the hotel and she told me I had to go through booking.com and when I called you guys you said you will take care of It by notifying the hotel, when you guys got back to me you said everything will be taken care off but I have yet to receive my money back. How long will I have to wait?

Everything was fine

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

We had an issue with the price we were charged, through...
    • Superior King Room

We had an issue with the price we were charged, through Booking.com. Price was double of what was be being charged for that weekend, property was not worth $350 per night. Looked online for the property’s rate, $160 per night, which was very appropriate for this property. Tried to contaxt the manager on Monday when she returned. Front desk person was helpful and said he was sure the manager would work with us. Left messages, sent emails no response. Booking.com tried as well, no response. Lack of customer service by both the property and Bookong.com Neither has followed up with me. Disappointed :(

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Right in the heart of Evanston.
    • Superior King Room

Getting into the hotel requires stairs which can be difficult with luggage

Right in the heart of Evanston. Had everything I needed right at the door step. Wonderful value for money

Would return

A number of stale items in the buffet breakfast, but we did get there toward the end its availability.

Location. Both in terms of the local neighborhood, as well as convenience of access to the train system for trips into Chicago proper.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

The bed soft and comfortable.

The staff need better communication. Don't use the phrase the staff is new. I don't know never been in the gym.. If you work in a service industry, need to learn everything about the hotel. Being informed so that you can service the customers.

The bed soft and comfortable. The room was clean. The service at the hotel was average. The elevator was broken and T.V. remote was broken. Its them 4 hours for replacement a remote. They said we forgot. The gym was clean, I forgot my headset. There was sign post free headset or earbud if need. I ask the front desk. There's nothing free don't know what's in the gym. What type of answer is that. I book the room for two nights, the front desk did not change the reservation. I was told the maid didnot know what to do. They saw out staff in the room. Figured we never checked out The room was not clean. what the deal with that. They are under staff, check in at 8pm. There is only one person working. The sign has indicated be back at 5 minutes. Had to wait 20 minutes. No bell, just calling anybody here.

the staff were friendly, professional and the room was...
    • Superior King Room

not enough room in the breakfast area. I had to eat in my room because it was so crowded.

the staff were friendly, professional and the room was excellent.

Nice and comfortable rooms, location, and price. Paid Parking, mehhhh.

Ice and vending machines on opposite floors. At times, the Floor 5 button in the elevator didnt work and had to walk up from the 4th floor stairs or down from the 6th floor stairs. Paying for daily parking in hotel parking lot. Should be inclusive in price.

Rooms have been beautifully remodeled. Comfortable pillows, beds and space.

4.5
    The area is great and close to the rail

Got in late at night 130 am gave us wrong room king even though we reserved 2 queens. Person at front desk said multiple times she couldn’t do anything I tell her there is 4 of us and she finally gives a room that has 2 queens. We get to that room and it smells like a smoke stack. We ask the next day for another room. Manager hesitated but says he upgraded us. We get to the room and it is a queen just like we originally had pre paid for on booking. So not an upgrade no offer of free breakfast or comp our parking or even credit is a night for all of the room issues. Other than the area would not recommend this hotel

The area is great and close to the rail

I wouldn’t stay again unless repaid or given a free nights stay.

Our refrigerator did not work and we lost a lot of money on food we had to throw away. Our bath tub stopper didn’t work properly and the view was not nice at all.

The location was nice.

I usually book cheaper hotels so it might be not an entirely...
    • King Room with City View

I usually book cheaper hotels so it might be not an entirely fair comparison but my stay here was perfect. Large fully equipped very comfortable room, nice staff, good location but it is a bit too far from Northwestern campus (if it the goal of your stay).

Beds were comfortable.

Paying to park. I understand that is normal for that area, but really wasn't a busy area & there was plenty of parking spaces for guests. WiFi signal seemed weaker than other places. Shower curtain did not stay in place & water got out.

Beds were comfortable. Room & bathroom were clean. Breakfast was very good. Distance to the city and to Wrigley was great. Good location being a few blocks from the Lake.

Hotel location was excellent as it was convenience to take...

I sent out 4 dressed shirts for a dry clean service at the check-in counter but didn't get my shirts back at all. I asked the lady at the counter to help follow up and sent to Congress Plaza Hotel where I would be staying for 6 more days after Holiday Inn. Nothing showed up as I kept asking the clerk at the check-in lobby. I gave up and had to buys some new shirts to continue my business meetings in Chicago/Barrington until Jun 12.

Hotel location was excellent as it was convenience to take either the L-train or Metra train to go to office building in downtown Chicago and lab facility in the suburbs.

We were visiting our eldest who attends Northwestern.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View

We were visiting our eldest who attends Northwestern. The hotel location is walking distance to campus. We also like the hotel well kept facility with convenient on site parking. Internet connection is strong and reliable. Overall, great property.

Will always stay here when visiting Chicago
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View

Top tier staff! Excellent location, near the L train. Evanston is a better value for your buck, and is close enough to enjoy the amenities of Chicago.

Okay, but not great.

No fan in bathroom. Empty coke vending machines. Parking garage in poor condition. Had to reconnect t to wifi every time I left the room and even when I didn't. Limited hotel restaurant menu

Location, comfortable room, lots of bath towels standard in room, helpful staff. Walking distance to good restaurants.

Good value in terrific location in downtown Evanston.

No hook on bathroom door; refrigerator not plugged in, and after I struggled to plug it in, it still didn't cool adequately and we lost some perishables. Need to inspect the room carefully to see what might be missing or needing replacement. Also, the hallway was noisy with kids running up and down and screaming at 11 at night. Could signs be posted prominently indicating quiet hours from 10p to 6 a? Could families with children be placed on a separate floor? Parking was expensive ($18 compared to $13 in public lot for 24 hours).

Staff was very helpful and professional. Location terrific. Parking convenient. Nice lobby. Large room. Reasonable price for value.

excellent!
    • King Room with City View

Front dest staff Miss.Maya is the best staff i have ever experienced in the US trips for so many years. She is nice,kind and very helpful! nice window view,pull out table for working and reading, mini ref and microwave, laundry, close to downtown,two blocks to Lake Michigan......

Ok

I specifically booked this because it has a pool but they told my kids it was being fixed. The worse thing though was that we had to take a shower with water up past my ankles, which just grosses me out. And makes me wonder when the let time the tub was cleaned

It was a nice room

Everything was fine until the security knocked on my door for a stupid reason
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View

The security attitude. My 5 year old boy and my 3 year old daughter were playing at night and making a low noise just like any other kids so this guy comes knocking on our door asking us to lower their voice! What do you want me to do ? Put a duck tape on their mouth ? I think they this guy needs to change his attitude and be more polite to customers!! I don’t ill return to this hotel again and will mot recommend it to anyone

I enjoyed the room

Nice, clean room and professional staff

While I chose it because I had some business to take care of on the North side--it is very far from the city center, taking about 40 minutes by car to get down town.

The lobby and my room were nicely appointed. I also found it to be relatively quiet. Professional staff that helped me with a number of things (storing my luggage, securing ride to airport etc). I also appreciated that there were a number of businesses nearby (pharmacy, good take out options, and even a target where I picked up breakfast items).

Good quality for the price.
    • Superior King Room

I had a room that could've connected to another. The couple next door woke me at 4 am arguing and throwing objects. Also the light from under the connecting door kept me awake for quite a while

The (king delux) room was clean and nicely kept. The room had a mini fridge, microwave and safe. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were just right.

Over all it was good but was not told about the 50.

Traveling for business and staying alone but still could not check into my hotel because I was not 21. I had to have my boss check me into my hotel. Not a very good impression. It’s ridiculous I understand you don’t just want any teenager checking in and throwing a party but when traveling for business (actual business) it’s very inconvenient.

Over all it was good but was not told about the 50.00 security deposit charged to my card during my stay until check out so that took me by surprise.

I believe that paying extra for parking for a hotel that we...

I believe that paying extra for parking for a hotel that we are staying at that has they own parking deck is ridiculous. I already paid to stay at hotel At a good cost then ended up paying an extra 18 a night.

Without question, I will stay there again when I am in Evanston. Just won't eat breakfast there.
    • Superior King Room

As above regarding breakfast.

Everything except the breakfast. Paid over $10 for some plain scrambled eggs and 2 pieces of toast plus coffee. Very poor value for the money

Good price on early part of the week in winter

I would not like to pay twice this price to stay here on a weekend as the usually get.

Breakfast was good. We stayed on Monday night so the price was fair.

Very Clean.

Very Clean. I value clean. Staff was friendly, especially the maid. Thank you for a wonderful stay. I will be back. I travel to Evanston on a monthly basis.

I much needed place to get away during a busy trip to my hometown.
    • King Room with City View

The staff was so nice. Made me feel welcome. The happy hour was great! The location was exactly where I wanted to be. I also had a great room with a wonderful view facing Chicago.

Viable option when staying in Evanston, IL
    • Superior King Room

Limited onsite options and variety; breakfast not included with other options off-site only. Parking was connected to the hotel, but required a surcharge of $18 instead of being included.

Hotel was as described online. No negative surprises.

I love the Staff here.They are the best part of this location.
    • Superior King Room

It seems a bit beat up. Water pressure is a trickle. One side has a great view, other horrific view.

The Staff is great. I stay at this location almost every month for medical purposes as I have a rare condition that my specialist is in Chicago. It’s a walkable spot, close to the lake. Due to the proximity of NorthWestern University, the prices can really fluctuate during any event that brings college parents to the area.

Definitely not worth the money they cage
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and City View

Lock on door was not working. We got locked out of our room and we're sent back with key that didn't work multiple times. Made us late for appointment. Ramp into and out of parking is insanely steep. You have to have s SUV to park in their garage or you will bottom out. No help in or out of hotel. No ramp - just stairs. Terrible hotel for what they charge!

Very comfy beds!

Impossible to get a "custom" receipt, which makes our life difficult for refund at our companies (no possibility to add the name of a guest on the receipts)

Very comfy beds! Staff was helpful.

Deposit not returned

They charge us more than 50+ USD because they thought we are smoking in the room and we talk to GM and he refused to back to us our deposit,

Clean and safe

We had worked all day and then traveled about 4 hours to get...

We had worked all day and then traveled about 4 hours to get there. After we checked into our rooms we wanted to go to the bar, and make our plan for the next day and relax. The bartender (Pete) was on duty and said the bar usually closes at 9 pm, but he would stay and let us relax and plan. Thank you for being so accomodating.

Comfortable, Convenient, if not very exciting hotel in South Evanston

Covered hotel parking is available, but relatively expensive at $18 for 24 hours. Meter parking one block South is 25c/hour for up to 12 hours!

Comfortable hotel at the South end of Evanston. Good sheets and pillows, and convenience of a refrigerator in the room. Nice views from the upper floors of this 12 story building.

Dropping off daughter at school. Very nice and comfortable place to stay with it's own parking.

The shower pressure was the only thing i would change. It was a little weak and hard to get shampoo out of my hair.

Good location within walking distance of downtown Evanston but not in the busy and traffic area.

Bed was very comfortable
    • Superior King Room

Shower nozzle came off in my hand Staff could not tell me where the train station was 2 blocks away

Bed was very comfortable Room was clean Breakfast was fine and help very nice

Nice Hotel

Pool should be on the inside of the hotel. The buffet should be everyday.

Convenience. Close to eateries and shops. Staff was very friendly amd knowledgeable about the area. Very clean and good amenities

Nice, clean facility.

The continental breakfast was not free like most Hotels have. We had to pay to park even though the parking garage is the Hotels'. All of this should have been disclosed when we made the reservations but wasn't.

Nice, clean facility.

Great location with an easy walk to public transport,...
    • Superior King Room

Great location with an easy walk to public transport, fantastic coffee shop (Other Brother), bookstores, restaurants. Beautiful view of Chicago's north side and lake.

Great location to enjoy north Chicago
    • King Room - Hearing Accessible

Guest doors do not shut quietly. when trying to sleep, on occasion we could hear guest doors in hallway shut loudly.

Staff was incredibly friendly and super helpful. Gave us lots of recommendations to enjoy area.

My room was very nice & clean & in good repair.

Free continental breakfast.

My room was very nice & clean & in good repair. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was extremely professional & helpful. Great stay!!!!

Phenomenal Staff

Excellent staff, went out of their way to greet us every time we passed through the lobby. Moving to the area and will definitely be staying here again!!

Comfy, but hidden costs for extras

The hotel is one block from a very busy train track. We were woken about 5:30am every day from the train tracks loudly clickety-clicking. Parking charges were not disclosed when booking the room. That is part of the total cost and would have been taken into consideration when choosing a property, had I known I would be charged $20 a day to park my car. Breakfast was NOT free, and at $15.95 for a very limited buffet that only offered 1 fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee and OJ - it was quite pricey for the value and a shock when I had to pay for it. Again, no advance notice of this when checking in, no signs posted in dining room - just an open room with an unmarked buffet, and then I was cornered when leaving and made to pay. WiFi will only let you connect ONE device at a time. When traveling with teenagers, surely they know that every single one wants to use their phone on the WiFi at the same time!! Every vending machine in the entire hotel was unable to accept both cash and credit cards. The front desk explained that the hotel doesn't run the vending machines and... *shrug* Not exactly helpful. (I didn't want to buy a $5 small glass of soda from the hotel bar.) Maybe this is standard in larger cities like Chicago... I'm from St. Louis MO (not a tiny burg) and not particularly well-traveled, but I've never had to pay to park my car in my own hotel lot and not knowing in advance about this just ticked me off.

Beds were soft and supportive. We were given 2 firm and 2 soft pillows, both very nice and comfy. Everything in the room worked well, the TV, the shower, etc. Heating/cooling was reliable and very comfortable.

Worth it for the beach alone
    • Superior King Room

My room was adjoining from both sides so it was so much noiser than it had to be. I came to relax in solitude when I was in the room and didn't appreciate the cheering and banging around of the neighbors. Because it was adjoining it was so much louder.

The proximity to the beaches is great. The bed was very comfortable and the layout of the room was very nice. The staff greets you with a smile and always tries to ensure you have what you need. All in all a pretty good setup.

Fun trip

Buffet food for breakfast was cold Weather was cool so did not get to enjoy the pool as much as I would have liked

The bed and pillows, would love to know the brand of mattress

Great location and people, comfy beds

The front entrance was not well marked, and the only way to get your bags in was up two sets of stairs or to use a strange wheelchair elevator, not well thought out at all.

People were great - special shout out to Alsan (sp?), front desk mgr Fran and Jamal as well as Reddy, the restaurant server

Nice facility but consider skipping the restaurant altogether

I chose the option here that had a coupon for the hotel restaurant for a free breakfast. At 9 am there was one server working and he ignored me for 10 minutes while others were being serviced nearby...then he curtly took my order (which included coffee and juice) and ignored me again. When over the next 5-10 minutes he proceeded to serve coffee and juice to 2 other tables that had come in after me I got up and left. Perhaps this was because I had the coupon on the table as instructed ? Whatever...it was quite unbelievable. There is a nice breakfast place nearby..should have gone there straight-off. Then the final kicker was an hour later while checking out the front desk staff asked me "how was your stay ?" to which I responded "very good except for the breakfast experience...". That person folded up my receipt and handed to me and said "sorry to hear that" and walked away.

Location is decent...some train noise nearby but nearby area is very nice overall, with lots of great restaurants, shops, bars, and coffee houses.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Comfortable pillow top mattresses.

We only had a trickle of water from bathroom sink. We reported it and they fixed it immediately. Shower was not too strong either. Did not like paying a $18 surcharge for parking and the restaurant was very high priced for the service and quality of food. More outlets are needed in the rooms.

The beds were very comfortable, the floor to ceiling window was nice (if I had known, I would have booked a room on a higher floor. Quiet. Two luggage racks were a plus. We appreciated the hold bar next to the tub. Was nice to have regular sized pillows. I do not like the small travel pillows that most hotels have switched to.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

The front desk staff was outstanding.

This was a great property with great staff

The front desk staff was outstanding. They provided helpful information to guide me and my family to the activities that met our needs. They were extremely polite and welcoming and took the time to answer my questions about

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Too expensive here for what you get
    • King Room with City View

Room was very expensive and was nothing special . No free breakfast - no newspaper ! Lots of very nice hotels blocks away that were much cheaper and much nicer but they were all booked sadly

Great hotel great location in Evanston. Price for room reasonable.

Don't love the $16 fee for parking.

Our children live in Evanstonso we are close to then. Employees at the hotel are very nice and helpful. We had a city view which was beautiful at night.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Pretty good
    • King Room with City View

You arent allowed to check in unless your 21 and I wasnt told untill I got there and it was a big issue.

It was a short walk from lake michagan and the train to chicago. Theres also a nice playground near by and the restaurants are great with friendly staff. My veiw was great from the 12th floor and the rooms were very comfortable.

6 Blocks Between Holiday Inn - N. Evanston & Stunning Lake Michigan

Three things I did not like: 1. Not knowing in advance that the hotel has a daily parking garage fee. 2. Access to one computer and one printer in the business center. 3. The lack of tourist brochures.

Aside from the professional and courteous staff, I liked the location. It is accessible to the L station, diverse eateries, downtown Evanston, Trader Joe's, Jewel Osco, CVS, Lake Michigan (6 blocks east); and it is only 3 miles away from Loyola University. Lastly, the hotel was tidy and well secured. I felt safe during my stay.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

It was a deception.
    • Superior King Room

I wrote the hotel explaining why I couldn't arrive there. I had to follow medical recommendations and postponed the trip due to an unexpected health problem at the airport during the check in.I asked for a change of the reservation then. They didn't even reply. Even considerating the hotel rules I deserved at least an answer. I felt completely disrespected.

Frananizer Robertson, a manager, was the most helpful person...

No negatives.

Frananizer Robertson, a manager, was the most helpful person I have ever come in contact with in my travel experience ! He was so very helpful. He is an asset to your company.

15 min walk to NW University and to the shore.

They have Keurig machines in every room that make something similar to coffee, but it would be a big plus if they just had a morning coffee bar with some coffee and cream and stuff downstairs, nothing fancy, but just saying.

15 min walk to NW University and to the shore. 10 mins to the train/bus station at Davis. So great location at a decent price.

Great hotel for Weekend conference at Northwestern University

There is only one computer available for guest use. I didn't have to wait, but I can imagine a problem during busy times.

The staff, especially George and Billy, were extra helpful and nice. The cafe staff was helpful and the chicken noodle soup was delicious.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Great budget stay in Evanston

Check out was at noon but we asked the new kid at the desk if we could leave our car until 2 pm. He shrugged indifferently which is fine but when I asked if getting to the garage would be a problem he just slid the room cards back at us with a look like this was a tiring exercise for him. I may be being overly sensitive here and not articulating well but he just came off as rude.

Initial staff were friendly and accommodating. The window in our room on the fourth floor had a poor seal and was whistling like mad so George took care of us and moved us up to the 11th floor with a not annoying window. Sam is the guy walking about taking care of little things like making sure you get parked ok. If you are visiting Northwestern, it is perfectly situated. Maybe a ten minute walk through tidy little Evanston and you are there.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Staff was very friendly and the hotel was very clean!

We weren't sure where to park to go in to check in. I ended up parking before grabbing my bags because I wasn't sure the process. So it was extremely difficult getting my bags from parking ramp into hotel.

The room was perfect size. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious!

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

This place is newly renovated and rooms and lobby look...
    • Superior King Room

This place is newly renovated and rooms and lobby look fantastic. Beds are very comfortable and new, staff was helpful, and its one of the most affordable stays in the area. Great location close to nice restaurants, retail, and coffee shops. I will stay here often when in the area.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Comfortable and Enjoyable

The breakfast room staff did not seem to know what they were doing. Finally, after a long wait, the chef came out and he seemed very capable and prompt, brought out our order at once. No idea what was the reason for the delay. In contrast to the staff at the hotel reception desk, the breakfast room staff needs more guidance and training in how to handle guests' orders.

Everyone was very friendly, helpful and professional at the hotel reception desk. The room was exceptionally clean and beds were very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

The staff was friendly and parking was very convenient.

The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable and the rooms were very small. the hotel was obviously upgraded recently, but I felt cramped in the space.

The staff was friendly and parking was very convenient.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Good alternative in Evanston.
    • Superior King Room

Breakfast service is slow. Service at restaurant and food are below average.

Staff, specially manager Bill, was very friendly. Neighbors smoked in the afternoon and he handled the situation with professionalism and efficiency.

The location and size of room

Room clean service was very late in the day so I didn't opt to have room cleaned for three days because after being out all day, I didn't want to have to leave the room at 3:30-4 pm

The location and size of room

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Friendly, Comfy and Clean
    • Superior King Room

The staff were extremely helpful, the hotel was very clean and the beds were comfy. I needed to get to Northwestern university and it was a very easy and enjoyable walk away from there.

Perfect hotel in perfect location!

The only thing I could say is that the doors need slow close hinges, as they slam shut which made my room shake and woke me up when people were going in/out of their rooms late at night or early in the morning.

The hotel was perfect! Clean, tidy and very comfortable. The bed was honestly the most comfortable I've ever had - I felt sad to leave it! The shower was amazing too! I didn't try the restaurant as there are lots of great places to eat right on the door step but I can't wait to stay on my next visit.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

The restaurant was # 1!

I asked for a wake up call... and it never came... so I began the day 45 minutes later than I should have.

The restaurant was # 1!! They served me the best cheeseburger that I have had for some time!!... and at a really good price!!

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Convenient, good value hotel in Evanston

The room was a little narrow, so the desk was slightly cramped by the end of the bed

Very comfortable bed, generally nicely furnished room. Short walk to lots of restaurants and trains to Chicago.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

First & last
    • Superior King Room

Upon checking in there were extra fees that occurred. There was a deposit that had to be paid in order to fully secure the room. When asked why this was not on Booking.com website I was told it was in the "fine print". However I went back on the website to book for another day and did see this at all within the "fine print". Otherwise my stay was good.

Friendly staff, beautifully decorated, clean rooms, nice location

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Overall ok

The last time We had noisy neighbor through the night and the next day

We like this hotel it is clean and close to our sons school we have stayed here several times.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Pleasantly surprised.
    • Superior King Room

More coffee and sugar/creamer. We had two cups when we arrived but disappointed that only one k cup for our wake up and no creamer this morning. Bummer.

Most comfortable bed and pillows ever in a hotel.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Fire Alarm in the middle of the night.
    • King Room with City View

We had a fire alarm at 12:45 am and had to evacuate the room. We ended up OUTSIDE in the back of the building in the snow. The staff didn't tell us anything about what was going on. We had to WALK the 12 flights back up after the firemen cleared the problem.

We were upgraded to the top floor. Nice views

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

During my stay the front desk staff stood out the black guy...

During my stay the front desk staff stood out the black guy with a beard gives a great first impression of the place, also there was a building emergency that occured and it was handled great.

MEMORABLE

COST OF PARKING 18 DOLLARS A NIGHT ALSO THOUGHT BREAKFAST WAS INCLUDED - BREAKFAST BUFFET COST MORE THAN THE HILTON

Better than expected

Comfortable, quiet, professional and great location