Reviews of Hotel Bijou 3 stars

111 Mason Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA

#164 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

Go elsewhere. There are many better options in SF for the price, quality and location.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

This hotel was a huge disappointment for the price especially given that their website makes the hotel look so chic and inviting. It is an older hotel which ordinarily I would be find with but it wasn't well kept. We stayed in a renovated room which was clean and the bed comfortable. However, the room only had gauze curtains so the street lights shone into the room all night. Also, the windows are not sound proofed or double glazed so the street noise was so loud and pumping all night long...groups of men on each street corner with their rap music blaring and their dogs barking and their conversations and shouting loud and clear. We were on the 3rd floor. There are also no safes in the room or tea/coffee making facilities. There are no doormen so don't expect any help with your bags, it's not that I can't carry my own bag but for the price I expected some service. The reception area is tiny so there isn't any seating for more than one party. There is also only one person on the front desk so check in and out is a wait. We left our bags with the front desk on arrival as our room wasn't ready. When we came back the front desk was unattended with our bags just sitting there out in the open. Any person could have easily come by or in from off the street and had themselves an easy picking. The girl on the front desk was very friendly but I'm afraid it's the only positive thing I can say about our stay at the Bijou.

Very Nice Stay with friendly lobby attendant (Britanny was very helpful) .
    • Standard Queen Room

Some homeless people at street corner (but that's fine). Not a big deal. Old Elevator partly misfunctioning but repaired one day after. Very reactive.

Coffee at the Lobby. Good Location. Price/Room was attractive. Restaurant was a good one.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly anytime I...
    • Standard Queen Room

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly anytime I needed to find something in the city the two women went out of their way to help me find what I needed and direct me there. Thanks!

Good overall
    • Standard Queen Room

Rooms need upgraded furniture and carpets. TV old style and no safe in the room. Wi-fi was not available during my last day

Good location and very helpful staff

Location is good.
    • Standard Queen Room

The hotel does not have a specific service to sell beverages and/or food. After the restaurant is closed, you cannot get anything else, as wine, drinks, or food. I had to search for delivery apps to get something for me and my friend -- luckily we were able to find something. In my opinion, it is too expensive for what the hotel offers to you.

Location is good.

Liocation, friendly staff, ambience, lobby, dining area and...
    • Standard Queen Room

Liocation, friendly staff, ambience, lobby, dining area and bar, cleanliness, and in the midst of a very busy area, the room was so quiet, I could sleep well. Would definitely stay there again.

It's just ok. The price could be lower I think. The rating is too high - I expected something better
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Interior is shabby. Tears and stains on a bed's headboard. Very old furniture. Cracks everywhere in a bathroom.

Bed ok. Cleaning every day. Staff is nice.

good but could have been lots more comfortable on the streets in the area
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Many homeless on the street, city's failure not hotels, wouldn't stay here alone if I wanted to walk anywhere!

Location, good beds, friendly helpful staff clean!

Perfect downtown location close to public transport, cablecar and shopping facilities.
    • Standard Queen Room

Homeless people on the streets. We knew it would happen so it was not a surprise.

Location is perfect if u r a tourist without a car and just using public transport.

All together was it perfect.
    • Standard Queen Room

The WiFi was not very good all time, at least from the room on top. Little noicy outside in nights because of homeless people.

The location was perfect. Very nice staff. Clean rooms.

Great staff, beautiful hotel with free tea & coffee,...
    • Standard Queen Room

The wifi was not very good in my room, but the staff was super helpful in trying to get it to work.

Great staff, beautiful hotel with free tea & coffee, free breakfast. Enjoyed my stay!

Solid. Not amazing, but fine.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Facility is old. Bed was soft/worn.

Staff was super friendly. Accommodated a very early checkin on one of our 3 rooms, which enabled our group to leave our bags and go. Place was clean.

My stay was fun and quirky.
    • Standard Queen Room

Unfortunately, no A/C but it is SF. We were able to ask for a fan to cool the room which I ended up preferring because we got the fresh air from outside. Some other guests were smoking and the smoke made its way into our room through the bathroom vent. No minifridge or microwave to save/eat leftovers.

I liked that the rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

It was wonderful, I will be back!
    • Standard Queen Room

No AC, although there was a room fan. Not really a huge deal though

The beds were very comfy and the staff were so attentive, kind and always available to help. They really were wonderful and I really felt very comfy in my room.

Our room was along Eddy Street and Eddy Street is heavily...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was along Eddy Street and Eddy Street is heavily populated with "Street" people who are on the sidewalk all throughout the night yelling, sometimes fighting. We got very little sleep.

Slightly disappointing.
    • Standard Queen Room

The hotel was too near to a run down area of San Francisco. The restaurant wqs not completed and the breakfast arrangements were poor. The hotel was a little shabby and over priced. The wifi connection was the worst we experienced all holiday.

Don't even think about staying here!
    • Standard Queen Room

Worst value. Manager was rude. Lobby was ghetto and under construction. Rooms are cramped, old, ugly, and cheaply furnished. This is a $387 hotel?! The experience left me sick to my stomach.

Only the location of this hotel was good. Everything else about it was utterly horrible! What an unmitigated disaster.

Read a variety of reviews..
    • Standard Queen Room

The 'Tenderloin' district. I guess it was interesting as a foreigner.. but if this was the only hotel we got to experience on our holiday, we'd be really disappointed. There's no common area to relax in because of the renovations. I wouldn't stay here with children because of the drug-related activity on the street.

The staff were friendly, accomodating to watch our luggage and the rooms are spacious. We could easily get around town from the location. Hopefully the renovations will be great for the hotel.

Although our stay was fine, do not expect the hotel to...
    • Standard Queen Room

Wasn't very clean, particularly in the public areas. Breakfast was not good

Although our stay was fine, do not expect the hotel to reflect the online photos any time soon. The Reception, Foyer and Dining space are all under renovation. Breakfast was in a bag and was an apple, a Danish and a bottle of water. Also, although it is a central and convenient location, there are a lot of homeless immediately around the hotel

Great location for exploring San Fransisco.
    • Standard Queen Room

The photographs and description of the hotel gave a false impression of what was a basic, jaded hotel. It badly needs a refurb. We were on a corner room and on one side there was a street where there was a large number of homeless people gathered at all times. This was not a problem in itself, it is a real part of life there, but it was disconcerting to listen to and walk out into when leaving/entering the hotel.

Never again
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything! If I could gives this a 0 I would. Dirty/stained sheets that had blood stains. Dirty bathroom. No large towels, itty bitty ones, the size of a hand towel are the biggest they had in our room. Elevator not working, stairway was horrible one way access, makes you dizzy. No self parking, valet only which takes them 30 minutes to get. There's no location where they park your car, who knows its out on the streets, people can look in your car and you not knowing it. When we received our car there was a lot of fingers and hand prints. The information online really misguided us. Idk if I will book online again for hotels.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Hotel Bijou Lives Up to Its Name
    • Standard Queen Room

Google Maps had the address in the wrong area of San Francisco, somehwere in the 2500s! Entering "111 Mason St" on the Google Map App took us to Fisherman's Wharf, which is the opposite side of town from Union Square. Unfortunately, that also meant our Uber driver took us to the wrong place, too. I reported it to the employees at the Hotel and to Google. But I'm surprised I am the first to notice the huge mistake. It was bizarre!

Great price, good location. It's cute with the movie theme and lives up to it's Bijou name. Just a bare bones, but clean place. We weren't there to do much more than sleep and accomodations were comfy and adequate. Great place for bargain hunters.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Clean room, own bathroom, good deal for price.
    • Standard Queen Room

When we booked our room it said we had a choice of aaa discount or free wine, when we got to the hotel the lady at desk didnt want to give us either and didnt. Didnt get any sleep, homeless people yelling and cursing outside of our window all night long...

Cleanliness of room, bathroom in room

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Historical hotel, but pretty bad location
    • Standard Queen Room

The location was terrible. Borderline of skid row with homeless and drunks hanging out right outside the hotel. They kept coming back dispite The efforts of the hotel staff trying to dismiss them. The city should make an effort to clean up the homeless situation. It's very sad to see them there.

Staff was nice and the room was clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Staying at Hotel Bijou
    • Standard Queen Room

Some people might be concerned that the next street corner had many homeless people.....my only concern was rgat they were homeless in rhe first place a sobering reminder of how lucky we are

Loved the location...near union square..rooms very comfortable.Would have loved a kettke or coffee maker in the room..but otherwise happy

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Does not worth the money!
    • Standard Queen Room

The fact that it is very close to union square and bart is great however, it is very noisy during the whole night. The room was very cold and the even when the fan turned to heat it up, it was still blowing cool air. The complimentary breakfast is a bag of an apple and cereal bar and a cup of coffee!!

it is very close to union square and bart

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

If I return to SF, will stay here again.
    • Standard Queen Room

Could have been a little cleaner, heater wasn't working (but they gave us a space heater).

Nice atmosphere inside. Good value for central location and decent size compared to others of same price range. Friendly staff. Comfortable.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

I recommend it!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It's at the border of Union square area and Tenderloin - so if you don't like to see homeless ppl it may not be the place for ya...we felt safe anyways!

It was great! Staff was very helpful and friendly. Place was clean! Rooms were very cozy.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Nice and clean room
    • Standard Queen Room

Very unsafe area (we took a taxi to go just 3 blocks away). No AC, so if you go in summer you need to keep the windows open and the street is very noisy, full of homeless shouting

Nice and clean room

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

not worthy for the price you pay
    • Standard Queen Room

neighbourhood is full of local homeless people living few meters from the hotel door. They do not disturb that much, but they do not make you feel safe in particular during the night.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Prefect location for have a quick tour of San Francisco.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff were very friendly and help, with high willingness to assist, provide advice and anything else they can do. The lcation is the best a San Francisco visitor can think about, Just the centre of the centre everything arround and quite close....

Sf Giants day with the fellas.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Transients living across the hotel got extremely loud. Some were extremely aggressive when asking for money.

Fair price and staff working the front desk were cool.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Hotel Bilou is a perfect place to start from if you want to...

Hotel Bilou is a perfect place to start from if you want to explore the city on foot. It is located only five minutes from Union Square and Market Street. If you follow the street way up Nob Hill, it will take you directly to Fisherman's Wharf or Chinatown in half an hour. This part of San Francisco is loud and has got character, which also means that there are lots of people living in the streets asking you for a cigarette or some change, but you can't blame the hotel for that. The staff there were always friendly and helpful! And there's free coffee, tea or hot chocolate 24/7.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

Comfy hotel in a busy city.
    • Standard Queen Room

Sadly they had no facilities to offer breakfast (other than coffee and bagels in the lobby), I like having brekky in the hotel.

A very cool looking hotel in the middle of SF. Expensive for car owners as there is no free parking but since it's soo central one does not need a car.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

The staff is lovely, friendly and helpful.
    • Standard Queen Room

Very bad internet connection. Coming home wasn't always a pleasure as there were a lot of junkies and homeless in that area

The staff is lovely, friendly and helpful. They welcome you with a complementary glass of wine after check in. The hotel is located in the city center.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

The pace was very nice and friendly also in a nice area
    • Standard Queen Room

I didn't like that we had to pay $40 extra for parking space when it said parking on site :(

The pace was very nice and friendly also in a nice area

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!
    • Standard Queen Room

My first clue should have been the complimentary ear plugs at check-in. This part of town gets very sketchy at night. From our window, we watched prostitutes trying to drum up business (loudly), people gambling on the sidewalk, lots of homeless and mentally ill people sleeping everywhere. Very seedy. We had to switch rooms bc the first room they gave us - (smaller than any hotel room I've ever been in and I travel write), had no internet connection. They gave us that tiny room originally because it was "on the quiet side". We asked to move to a different room that might have an actual Internet connection and got put in a much larger room that faced the street- which was noisy!! The internet in the second room worked for about 30 minutes before it crapped out for the rest of our stay. Was trying to get work done, but to no avail. When I explained my disappointment to the front desk at check out the next morning, I was told to get on Trip Advisor and write a bad review so the owners might do something about the antiquated router situation. Ugh. This does not look much like the photos online at all! Building smells old and rooms need updating. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere in a better part of town. All of that for almost $200 a night...,

it was ok

lobby

very helpful staff

Newly renovated bathroom.
    • Superior King Room

No safe in the room No bedlights

Newly renovated bathroom. Nice bar. Checkout at noon.

Breakfast was a very poor selection

Breakfast was a very poor selection

Location fair
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Street dwellers extremely loud all night. Take a white noise machine or Xanax to sleep.

Location fair

Very friendly staff

Very friendly staff

A few random annoying things the staff did attend to but I’ve stayed in better places in Union Squar
    • Superior King Room

I booked a King Room and got placed in a smaller queen room with not much justification from them on why

Staff was friendly
    • Standard Queen Room

The bed could use an upgrade but overall not bad

Staff was friendly

The staff is the best!

Woke up one morning to NO hot water! ☹️😭☔️

The staff is the best!

Good stay
    • Standard Queen Room

Bums outside , noise, that's it

Clean enuf well managed

staff was very helpful, room was clean, and atmosphere good!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

my car got broken into, the street is so sketchy it's hard to relax walking there

staff was very helpful, room was clean, and atmosphere good!

Beds really good, staff very friendly

Noisy street at night

Beds really good, staff very friendly

Great place to stay
    • Standard Queen Room

Air conditioning could have been cooler.

The room was comfortable and free breakfast was good.

Awful
    • Standard Queen Room

The property looks nothing like the brochure.... lacks simple services. Dirty, and old furniture.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Block and a half from Union Square, cable car, millionaires bacon.
    • Standard Queen Room

One ice machine for six story building

Helpful staff. Earplugs at front desk, it's in the city! Bagged breakfast to go.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Do not go there
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Facility stairs poor conditions old carpet window in bathroom missing pices of glass

No elevator no internet no tv

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Firm Bed
    • Standard Queen Room

Elevator was not working. Lots of homeless people always in front of hotel

Firm Bed

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Hmmm
    • Standard Queen Room

The hotel was a little worn and the breakfast was a brown bagged breakfast bar, bottle of water and piece of fruit.

Friendly staff

Definitely cheaper
    • Standard Queen Room

Bad area, no air conditioning, loud sirens and noise from the street all night, lots of homeless people around

It was close to the Bart station

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

It was ok but the bed was not that comfortable.
    • Standard Queen Room

They need more breakfast veriaty.

Fast service

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Good
    • Standard Queen Room

Nice place, staffs were very nice😄

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Great Staff!

Elevator not good

The staff was excellent!!!

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

A glass of wine service

Old facility

A glass of wine service

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Nice small boutique hotel in very central SFO
    • Standard Queen Room

Asking for parking options the only answer was Valet Parking. Although lots of parking garages sround - as I found later on.

Clean rooms

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

This place sucks!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Horrible and false advertisement. Nasty area!!! Rude staff!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

Will not stay again
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was not knowlegable enough, technichal problems such as elevetors did not work. There was a restoration going on.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Nice hotel and cool location mimosas at check in lol

Neighnorhood

Location and room

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Be a deep sleeper!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Loud screaming people outside allllll night long!

• Reviewed: 8 May 2016

Close to transport and shopping

Too much street noise, difficult to sleep. This property would benefit greatly from double glazing.also coffee making in room would be helpful.

Close to transport and shopping

• Reviewed: 8 April 2016

Staff super friendly and helpful.

Doorways were not wheelchair accessible and accessible rooms were only one queen bed and we needed two. Fortunately my son can walk just a few feet and his wheelchair folds up...otherwise this hotel would not have worked out.

Staff super friendly and helpful. Sack breakfast with fresh fruit and water.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

Very, very nice and helpful staff.

The location is very convenient. It's also in the middle of the Tenderloin, a neighborhood not even the richest techies in San Francisco have succeeded in gentrifying. I would hate to see homeless and poor folks displaced. I never felt personally unsafe, just a bit annoyed with the drunk people fighting (when my window was open). That said, I was at the hotel for a week, and it becomes a bit like white noise after awhile. People who don't want to deal with street-involved people are just trying to ignore inequality in our society that we collectively have failed to address. It's ridiculous to pin that social problem on one hotel -- and it's a problem all hotels in the Tenderloin share, including the expensive Hilton. If you want to live in a fortress where no one is different than you, stay in the suburbs! I wish it had a gym and laundry -- then I'd do everything at the Bijou!

Very, very nice and helpful staff. I had all kinds of special needs -- had a time-sensitive package delivered to the hotel, stayed in the hotel for a week and had three successive "roommates" during that time, and needed to store my bag for hours after I checked out because of flight timing. I'm also a total ditz and kept forgetting basic information like the wifi passwords and checkout times. The staff met all of these needs and were courteous, welcoming and friendly throughout. Loved the free glass of wine on check-in. I didn't take advantage of it, but a second glass was only $4 -- a bargain in any city!

• Reviewed: 26 March 2016

They were able to check me in early and take care of may car.

Three phone calls came in from 7 AM to 7:20 about a town car waiting for me that I did not order. Then, the alarm went off at 8 AM for a half hour from construction workers working in the lobby; thus, not much sleep in the morning. The hotel offered no compensation or even an apology for either event. They could have offered to let me stay in their parking lot for free rather than charging for it as compensation - parking even at hotels in San Francisco is over $40 a day. The room, while quiet, was in the back with a window facing three walls.

They were able to check me in early and take care of may car. The receptionist came out of the hotel to help me figure out where to park. They allowed me to stay in their parking lot an extra day (but with a full charge) The room was very small but cozy and clean with high def TV and the staff was very friendly. They offered bagged breakfast food and coffee.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2016

This is a small hotel near the centre of the CBD close to...

The lift broke the night before I left and I Had to get help to get my luggage down 6 floors

This is a small hotel near the centre of the CBD close to shopping and the cable car terminus. Check in was very friendly

• Reviewed: 22 March 2016

Glass of wine at check in is really nice movie theater in...

Glass of wine at check in is really nice movie theater in the hotel staff are nice helpful and patient I've had a wonderful experience every stay thanks

• Reviewed: 17 February 2016

The bed was comfortable.

The bathroom was so small I was hitting walls with my elbows.

The bed was comfortable. The room was on the 6th floor overlooking the street and it was a bit noisy but absolutely bearable. Helpful and friendly staff. The location is great, very local and one block away from the Union Square so considering this factor, it is a good value for money.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2016

Great localization however, be careful with the homeless,...

The wifi has a poor signal, even in the lobby. For the price/night I recommend at least muffins to be served in morning (7-10 AM).

Great localization however, be careful with the homeless, although they are in everywhere in San Fran. I could do early check in! And the employees are so gentle! The bed is great but the pillows, not comfortables!

• Reviewed: 10 January 2016

Hotel is located close to the Powell St.

Could not get access to the internet, the hotel desk manager indicated that it was a "shared" bandwidth" which didn't help me. Also there was no coffee maker.

Hotel is located close to the Powell St. Bart station, trolley and activities.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

The sort of old Hollywood decor was cool, but the value for...

Sketchy location, lots of homeless and uncouth characters, but the hotel had pretty tight security and there were 2 people posted at the front desk all night

The sort of old Hollywood decor was cool, but the value for the location was wonderful! And the accommodations were mostly comfortable! Good place to sleep if you're not planning on staying in the room too much.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2015

While the hotel has an excellent location relative to the...

While the hotel has an excellent location relative to the downtown and Mascone Conference Center, there are a lot of low life druggies, homeless, and obviously insane people (to varying degrees) in the neighborhood which cause a lot of noise, mess, and sometimes seem a little dangerous.

There are also 17 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.