Reviews of District Hotel 2 stars

5.9

5.6

6.2

4.8

Beyond awful, I had to check out early because I couldn't stay another moment in that cesspool.

Blood stains on my pillow, itchy sheets, tiny shoebox room, dirty bathroom, stained towels, hair in the bathtub, paper thin walls, barely functioning elevator, unhelpful staff, lied about free wifi, this whole place is a con and lie.

The room was small but clean.

The room was small but clean. They had an ice machine that was available free of charge for the customers. Good connection with National Mall through 52 and 54 buses. No complaints.

Disgusting condition

The gave us two rooms instead of the twin we had asked for the single rooms were disgusting and I don’t think they were even safe to stay. So I spoke to the hotel staff and the moved me to a different room which was a bit better but still had loose tiles and shower tap was also loose. It was by the door and very noisy. This was definitely not work the money I paid for 2 nights. I spent as little time in the hotel as I could because of this.

It was walking distance to things

My room (#417) was clean, the shower had good pressure and...

The elevator is small & rickety, but there is a huge center stairwell.

My room (#417) was clean, the shower had good pressure and lots of hot water, and the price [i.e. $511.45 (room & tax - no parking)for a 5 night - Sun-Thur] was right. At this price point and location, the amenities and staff were sufficient.

Compared to other places this was the cheapest option at the...

It was very dated, small rooms and elevator was interesting. Ok if you are not planning on spending much time in room. Water pressure was low in shower. Staff weren’t overly friendly. Aircon unit right above the bed so didn’t use as blew straight on your head

Compared to other places this was the cheapest option at the time

Clean, comfortable and close to food and within walking...

The bed may need an upgrade in our room but not the end of the world

Clean, comfortable and close to food and within walking distance of the main sites

Awful awful place and staff terrible

Everything about this place, it was terrible

This hotel is so dated, the first room we got had a musty smell and we could here next room as it was just a door between rooms, It had patches of wall that weren't painted after work was obviously done.the next room we got, the ac wasn't working and we got locked in the room. The staff were not pleasant, there was no breakfast as stated in ad. There wasn't even milk for the coffee, and no fridge in room.It was an awful and expensive stay and not worth it.

nice location easy to travel around dc defo go back

only had wifi in the lobby downstairs

good location for the metro not to far away and bars one block away,15 minute walk to the white house, also get a smart card for the metro and the buses

Overall i would consider my stay good

Had difficulty bringing our suitcases up the front door

I like the location of the hotel. The area is not crowded. I like the homey feel of the hotel as well.

Location made everything easy

Need to refill coffee pot more offen

Location was great, easy walk to shops, bars and restaurants Easy walk to hop on hop off bus route. Very friendly area, very safe

The location was more a priority for me than the mod cons. I felt safe there & it was clean.

The hotel was a little run down. The next door to mine kept dlamming their door making it difficult to rest. The door needed to have some kind of soft clue to bake it more comfortable for all. Similarly with my door, groaned loudly. I was conscious that people knew my movements as the door gave it away.

Location was amazing. I could easily walk everywhere. Restaurants easily accessible.

Horrible hotel

Couldn't park in front to unload, had to block a fire hydrant! Staff unresponsive to complaint about slo w drains. A lady fell down stairs outside, no rails and they didn't seem at all concerned. Didn't even stay with her or help her! Hair in bathroom, noisy neighbors.

The Bunker

Bedroom had no window light air conditioning unit jammed onto head of person sleeping in the bed. Carpet and walls stained very depressing no air conditioning windows or vents of any kind in bathroom. Electric sockets in room dangerous plugs fell out on their own. Air gap all round room door to corridor. Television remote control unit cello taped together nearly

Fairly central good bus links

The staff was wonderful.

They need more parking spots ir a slightly larger parking lot. But being that it's in the d.c. city, that really can't be helped.

The staff was wonderful. They were pleasant, courteous and extremely helpful witg directions to restaurants and parking.

Bathrooms not clean

Bathrooms not clean Beds placement not good, AC won’t reach to one bed Onside of room too hot another too cold Lift is very old sometimes wouldn’t close Wifi was poor

6.0
    No free wi fi except in the lobby.

No free wi fi except in the lobby. No continental breakfast either. It met my expectations because I did not expect very much. There was nowhere to hang clothes except for one hook on the back of the bathroom door. The blood red bathroom walls and the purple mirrored hallways were a bit psycho. I did appreciate the teabags and the hot water urn, well the thought anyway. It was never more than tepid.

We appreciated the service, the neighborhood, proximity and its affordability.

There was a chair in the room that was very dirty and had stain in it.That created a bad impression.My daughter made a great deal of it and felt that every other thing in the room was dirty. we were in the basement and couldn,t get good reception.My husband and I shared a queen bed with our son.It was very uncomfortable.We were promised the beds in the room were for four adults and a child.. .There was no place to park.

The hotel is close to everything I wanted to see.I got the best rate possible.I like that everything that makes it historic was preserved.All and all it was fun to be in a very good neighborhood.

Absolutely Nothing.

The AC was not working and the staff dint care even though we had a 15 month baby. This property should not be listed on any website.

Absolutely Nothing. This hotel is terrible and people who work there don’t know anything about customer service.

Loved the location

The bathroom was very small and awkward and didn't have an exhaust fan so it made things difficult

The location was excellent. The actual hotel is in need of some work to get it up to scratch.

Nightmare experience

Please avoid this hotel at all cost. We had 15 month old baby and the AC in the room was not working. The carpets were super dirty and the customer service was horrible. Manager refused to get on the phone after front desk person won’t help.

Nothing good about the stay.

Do not stay at this hotel unless you're looking for a hostel or dorm-like experience.

Just about everything. The room was NOTHING like what was depicted online. This was one of the worst accommodations I've stayed in.

Well, it was better than sleeping on a park bench.

Basic hotel, small room, comfortable enough, you are buying...

Basic hotel, small room, comfortable enough, you are buying the location which is within a mile of the major mall attractions at a better price than the ritzy hotels and better room than the hostel.

My stay was great. It was close to where I needed to be and was clean and comfortable.

I would have loved a second mirror outside the bathroom. Two women in town for a business trip with only one mirror made timing in the mornings essential. And my door handle to get into the room needed to turn up not down which made for a tricky first entrance.

The hotel is definitely not a big corporate stay. If you expect that you’ll be disappointed but the staff was helpful and friendly. They had coffee in the mornings and the bed was comfortable. I loved that I could open a bathroom window and the lighting was better than standard hotel lighting. The water pressure was a little low but the shower was hot and clean.

Good enough for one night

NO WHERE TO PARK. Called the hotel number on confirmation twice and let it ring. No answer. I called a third time and let it ring as I walked into the lobby while double parking my car and said, “ I am calling you right now and your phone isn’t ringing”. She said they have 2 numbers and I was calling the reservation line and I have to find on street parking. Good luck finding on street parking in that neighborhood. I found a guy with a little parking lot one block down for $35.

Good enough for a quick stay but wouldn’t want to stay more than a night

It was a place to rest my head and not much more.

This is a very basic hotel. Small rooms. No closets. No Internet in the rooms. 15 minute or so walk to nearest Metro station. Noisy bar/resturant next door.

Probably would not choose again mainly because bed was so uncomfortable.

Bed was uncomfortable and the wallpaper had been removed on o e wall and not replaced. Wallpaper was peeling in other places. There was no where to lay curling iron in bathroom. We had to stand on a chair to change temperature. Also had to ask for fresh towels and toilet tissue. It could be a very charming hotel with a little remodeling. Small and quaint and looks nice on the outside. Staff was nice.

This hotel is saved by its location and not much else.

The room was in a basement which was not explained to me, so I made my way up to the 4th floor only to discover that 418 - 422 were located in the basement. The linens were sparse, leaving us cold. Wifi is not offered anywhere but in the lobby, make it hard to use your room for anything involving a computer. The entire basement smelled extremely moist, and unpleasant. I had to wait for 10 minutes to check in as the employee was receiving what seemed to be a personal email.

The location was fantastic and just a short walk to the mall as well as countless fantastic restaurants.

Clean, the bathroom was quite alright.

Tiny, dark room with small window towards a wall. Bad soundproofing, can hear people talk and move in adjacent rooms.

Clean, the bathroom was quite alright.

Not comfortable but you get what you pay for.

old room, broken toilet, no headboards, old furniture, shower faucet hot and cold labeled backwards, crack in the door, back door to parking lot was continuously left open which did not make me feel safe. The windows weren't locked when I arrived. There were no vending machines and the coffee in lobby could be better.

I wish I had looked for places to lodge earlier.

There was no WiFi in the rooms. Staff wasn’t so friendly or helpful. Not worth the amount they charge per night. Near a restaurant so it’s very noisy even late at night. I had a difficult time trying to go to slee some night.

This is an old hotel with no real amenities and no comfort.

This hotel is extremely dated, but not in an antique/classic kind of way. Everything about it was just OLD except for may be the bathroom. The room was small. The room had one full size bed for my boyfriend and I with one tiny thin blanket. And it was EXTREMELY hard. The tv had like 3 channels. The elevator was slow and small. There is only WiFi in the lobby. When walking past some of the other rooms they seemed larger with better beds. After less than an hour I wanted OUT!

The location was close to everything we wanted to do and see. The bathroom was the nicest part of the room.

Staff was very nice.

Our room was practically connected to the exit door at the end of hallway. Door was loose on hinges so that and location of the room did not feel safe.

Staff was very nice. Location was good. Room was clean and the bathroom was nice

I was pleasantly surprised as the rooms had been recently renovated better than the 2 Star rating

Rigid no check in before 3:00 pm. Electronic keys were problematic and took many attempts to get it to work. Wifi was only available in the Lobby.

Pity there was no dining facility. Breakfast would have made it a great place to stay in.

It was an amazing experience in this lovely simple clean...

NOTHING of course but I have to update ur hotel photos on Booking.com as the reality is much better than the pictures.

It was an amazing experience in this lovely simple clean comfortable hotel. I enjoyed with my wife as the hotel was quite, centrally located& with a respectable staff like Mr Pablo Briceno the reception supervisor. Our room was great as it was recently renovated with all the needed facilities & the house keeping was excellent. We were also lucky as our room was beside the reception in the first floor so the WiFi worked inside the room & the complementary coffee & tea set was near to us. Also many restaurants & shops were near the hotel especially Seven Eleven which has good priced all needed variables. Metro station wasn't far & u can walk to many of D.C. important places like the White House & the famous shopping places. I strongly recommend it & thank u again.

Location was convenient.

Mattresses were very old and uncomfortable. Room was very basic. No carpet, no towel hooks in bathroom, no mini fridge.

Location was convenient. Rooms were clean.

very bad and will not recommend to anyone this hotel

everything

actually the room doesn't have closet so I could be able to fit my clothes properly, no wifi in the rooms, very poor service, I will never recommend this hotel again.

It was a happy time for me

The room could have been a little bigger that's all

The bed was magnificent it was cozy and the shower was great I loved it and especially the area

How can there be no breakfast?

A lot of steps to get into the lobby. Heater was defective, kept blowing hot air, we had to turn it off. No dresser, refrigerator, microwave. Most importantly, NO BREAKFAST!

The bed was comfortable and the hotel eas in walking distance from some good restaurants.

Not a good value for money unfortunately

The wifi was only in the lobby which is not common in these days anymore.

It is only 15 minutes away from the White House etc. The rooms were clean and there was always hot coffee or tea in the lobby which is nice if you come during the winter time.

Booking got switched to a sister property further away from...

Booking got switched to a sister property further away from where we originally planned to stay. Staff was curt and unwilling to accommodate for any inconveniences. When asked to speak to a manager, one was not available for the entire weekend. Would not stay again.

The worst ever

The fact you allowed me to book with them

Horrible, filthy,disgusting, you should be embarrassed to be associated to the facility and they should be shut down im sure they pay off any inspectors to stay in business and i will be writing the better business bureau.

Other than the location I would not recommend this property.

The mattress was terrible I was sleeping on springs. I could see the hallway through my door by the jambs. Overall it’s an old property not well kept.

The location walking distance to the White House.

Needs work

Their is knowhere to park or to even drop off. A lot of steps in front to get luggage up. They misrepresented themselves on their website. They said parking was near and no reservations needed but when we arrived there was a sign at the desk that said parking is first come first serve but without any direction of parking garage. They said continental breakfast was included but there was nothing. My husband even had to make the coffee when we went downstairs. I booked for 5 people and they gave us a room with 2 queen beds and stated an extra bed/cott was available at no charge. When I asked for it they said that they didn't have anything like that. The room was clean but extremely small and bare. One chair 2 beds but we had a TV. It was tight. The front desk was a bit unhelpful and it was frustrating. I am not sure if this was the best deal.... We still had a great vacation but we didn't spend much time at the hotel because it was obviously for sleeping only.

We lived that it was built in 1913. We wanted to know more about the history.

Great place and great price!

It was good. I was going to stay for 1 night so I wanted a cheap nice hotel, this was perfect! The bed is comfortable, the bathroom was clean, there was air conditioner and heating, they also have a microwave and pressure cooker in the lobby. It is a very quiet hotel and it has a centric location, it is 1km away from the white house and from there you can get to any other attraction so it's really good.

Lots of noise, hard to sleep.

Lots of noise, hard to sleep. Website said parking available, but failed to say it was first come, first serve. No parking by the time we arrived in the afternoon.

Just what we needed.

Very clean, small room, well-appointed Spartan efficiency, cozy. Save a lot of money here. Nice neighborhood, good restaurants around corner on 14th Street. If you like to walk, close to many primary sites, museums, etc.

Funky but fine...

First off, see what I wrote below that is positive about this hotel as that's always the best way to start off a review! Now, having read that, this: I was surprised to learn after I got there that there was no internet in the rooms, only down in the lobby. I'm not even a big user (don't have a smart phone) but as a visitor to a new city, having access to the internet is crucial and often you want to do it without having to be in public, and at whatever hour you choose. Also, there was only tea in the afternoons and I THINK maybe some coffee in the morning, in the lobby. When I arrived in the afternoon on the first day I only saw the tea so every morning I just walked one block up to The Wholefoods grocery store (ask staff to point out the alley shortcut!) and bought breakfast there. That worked okay as the weather was decent but would have really been a pain if it had been poor. I only noticed the coffee carafe on the third morning and they didn't have anything other than powdered creamer so I wouldn't have gotten that anyway. There is also a Starbucks nearby and a restaurant called The Commissary on the same street as The Wholefoods that serves breakfast though I never ate there. There is an air conditioner/heater in the room and it is really loud but I just unplugged it when I wanted to sleep, and was perfectly warm.

I thought the location and staff were excellent. It's right off 14th street which is loaded with good restaurants, and though not really close to a subway there are always cabs around and the walk downtown to The Mall is about 30-40 minutes but pleasant as there's lots to see. And it's a funky old hotel so it has some charm. The staff, though constantly changing were very friendly and helpful! It was also surprisingly quiet (thick older walls!) and that's always wonderful in a city;-) My room was a comfortable size and though the carpeted floor was really oddly lumpy (as though they had covered up a trap door or something!), the bathroom was fine, and super clean;-) There was a proper closet, and desk and chair and a soft possibly double/MAYBE a queen sized bed but perfectly comfortable. This is NOT a chain hotel, and if that's what you are looking for you are in the Wrong Place. It felt like so many hotels I've stayed at in Europe, with a broken in, homey and comfortable feeling, neither luxurious nor spartan, and for a price that doesn't leave you counting pennies to go out to eat;-)

Get a single room at a hostel rather.

1. No wi-fi 2. No blow dryer 3. No bathtub 4. Not close to a subway station 5. Cage-like room for a double bedroom 6. Staircases to the front door makes your life hard if you're with heavy suitcases. 7. No place to hang your clothes on. // you'd feel so alone and poor if eatinging any food in your room. Bigger rooms may have spaces but a small one doesn't. The room is full of the bed.

1. Clean bed sheet 2. Proximity to great restaurants 3. Daily cleaning service.

My MARCH FOR OUR LIVES was fabulous. This historic THE DISTRICT HOTEL was adequate.

Repair the broken head board and fix the pealing wall paper which appears to have mildew behind it or possibly just water stains from prior leaks.

My room was in the basement. It was large enough, but wall paper was pealing off the wall; one head board was hanging broken on the wall, and the wall unit ac/heating unit was old and sometimes blew cold air when I needed heat. But, I went to DC for the MARCH FOR OUR LIVES. The location of this historic hotel was great and adequate for my purposes. Since I paid almost $200 per day for this double bed room, I did expect a little more.

the stay at the hotel was not what I was expecting. Staff was not too welcoming or friendly.

The distance to downtown was also farther than it stated at time of booking. Ice machine on our floor was not working. room did not have a coffee pot, hair dryer was old and rusty.

when we purchased it said that it had continental breakfast. There was no breakfast, unless you feel coffee is continental breakfast. We were very disappointed because we chose this hotel for the breakfast.

Great hotel vor very short stay

In the room there was no locker or wardrobe. I have staied for 11 night and kept all the time my staff into mu luggage. Not very convenient. The heating is done through the air conditioning (very common in the US) and it is very noisy, so noisy you could not hear the TV. So in order to sleep during the night I had to turn the heating off. Of course in the morning there was a very cold air in the room. Nothing to complain about - this is it.

The hotel is excellent placed near 14th street where are allot of restaurants and places to take braekfast. The room was regularily cleaned but overall the amenities are very old.

24h coffee and tea service was great.

In the booking.com's website it was writing that breakfast was included. However there is no breakfast given at the site. So people have to manage their money accordingly. No slippers were given to us in the room although we asked for it. Rooms are very cold, so if you are traveling during winter bear in mind.

24h coffee and tea service was great.

Convenient, comfortable, and within walking distance to the main attractions.

The bed was too firm, but it wouldn't keep us from returning.

We chose this hotel for its location and it proved to be a wise move. The staff were patient with my numerous requests for parking help and their professionalism was appreciated. They gave us a room in the back which was extra quiet at night and provided convenient access to our vehicle. The facility was budget level accommodation, which is what we expected and we would go back.

My stay was very nice and satisfying overall.

The room was a bit too small even though it was a single bed for me. My partner and baby. I also felt cold air circulating through the AC\Heater window unit So I had to keep the heater on my entire stay to block out the air.

The bed was very comfy and the room was very clean.I also liked the staff.

I’ve stayed here before, and my experience was great, but I won’t be staying here again, due to the

The guy who checked me in was really rude, and made it very difficult to check in. He refused to let me speak to a manager, despite several requests. He almost denied my entry without a refund. When I got to the room there were no blankets on the beds, and the hair dryer was busted.

I liked the location.

horrible

The room was not ready for guest, for example no mirror in roon NOR IN BATHROOM, no cloth hanger NOR BAR TO HANG THEm, no chair in front of desk etc etc, just finished painting!!

If you're cool sleeping in the middle of a busy...

If you're cool sleeping in the middle of a busy intersection, this place is for you. The walls are paper thin and it's located on a busy street...SUPER loud all night. I mean, comically loud. Like you're sleeping out on the sidewalk. So I guess this review is influenced by me being so tired.

Overall the location was pretty good, close to downtown DC but would never go back to this "hotel"

The room was extremely tiny; it was my boyfriend and I and we had no space whatsoever, the entire hotel room was the size of a very small bedroom. Also the AC unit in the wall was broken so we had no heat on a very cold night. Would never go back again

The location was close to downtown

Location & staff was very good.....installations poorly maintained, would not stay again.

Installations are dated and poorly maintained, walls were replastered but not repainted, could see patch ups, walls paper thin, could hear clients next door and TV all night long, room was next to elevator shaft, heard all night, phone in room was non functioning, reported it twice to front desk, never got fixed.

Location is great, centrally located near tourist attractions, front desk staff was friendly, best staff though was housekeeping.

Good location but felt unsafe

You could hear everything between rooms from people coughing to fighting. Had strangers knocking on the door at 4am. Room ALWAYS smelt like smoke or cigarettes which we thought may have been from the outdoor bar that was directly underneath our room. Didn’t feel safe to leave bags in room. Cleaners would make loud noises and singing each morning around 8am when people are still sleeping.

nice counter service

our room was at the end of 1st floor,it was too cold because the window is just on the head side of bed,and the airconditioner isn't warm enough

nice counter service

I had a problem and have been trying to contact the manager Allan for weeks now, unsuccessfully. They gave me no support. He is never available and no one calls me or email me back, in spite of my many attempts of contact. So I do not recommend the hotel because of this lack of care and I won’t be staying there again.

It`s good for a short stay.

The biggest problem was the parking that was only 4 and all of them were occupied by the residents. We had to pay $30 for a parking nearby. The room was neat and clean but it was too old. The room carpet was not clean and there were no sleepers. I wish I had something to wear from my own.

The location was great and the staff were good. It is good for a short stay. The heater and hot water were hot enough for a winter night.

A decent place to stay for our weekend trip and reasonable value for money

Rooms were not soundproof so noisy guests could be heard clearly. Hot drinks were available in the lobby but water only available for coffee. Wifi not available in rooms.

The room was comfortable for two people with a nice bed and good bathroom. Reception staff were quick to check us in, which was appreciated as we arrived late at night.

a place to be avoided

put in room 422 which is in the basement. the wall paper had been removed from the wall by an alley; there was no telephone in the room and the cable tv offered only a basis package (no sports channels) the beds were not made;l we were charged $125.00 per night

it was good staff was friendly, price was worth it

i didnt like the spooky place it was too dark at night the door locks and washroom lights needs to be changed

i liked my stay staff was friendly, it was peaceful and nice everything was fine neat clean

Basic but great location

Staff at check in could of greeted us with a smile. Check out guy was great.

It was very basic accommodation but that's OK because when in a city all you need is the basics. Location great. 15 minutes walk from white house and hop on bus...

Not pleasant

No wifi in the room. Room was not in good shape. Plaster was coming off of wall at some places. Lift was in bad shape and smelled of mold. Room not cleaned daily

AVOID THIS HOTEL. The pictures on the website are misleading.

Safety concerns - front door to hotel didn't lock and looked as if it had been broken into; back door was always open permitting anyone from the street to enter; room doors were not secure and chain lock removed. Hotel is in poor condition - dirty carpeting; pictures on the wall broken; blinds didn't fit the windows; both beds did not have headboards and were uncomfortable; no coffee maker in rooms or any other amenities; old, not antique, but old, broken furniture; could see outside around the heating unit as it was not sealed. The website for the hotel gives much false information.

Nothing good to say about this hotel except that the front desk staff were nice and helpful. This hotel should be closed and condemned. Prices for the hotel are relatively the same as nice hotels nearby. Very noisy area.

Would not recommend this hotel to anybody.

Well, just about everything. First room was incredibly small, no storage space. Refrigerator request never came through during the entire stay. Indifference of some of the staff.

Upgrade to a larger room. That looked to be recently improved.

The location is good.

At first, we got a really bad room.(very small and noisy). And the receptionist wasn't very polite. But after, he agreed to change it for us. And it was OK.

The location is good. And the rooms are OK.

Second thoughts!

The room I stayed in really needed some major renovation. There was no place to place clothes at all, not even hooks for coats and shirts! The carpet and the wall needed some major patch work! The window, with an AC blocking half of the light and view, faced an open area above a bar. The noise from customers lasted until past midnight! The room was directly across from the elevator; I could hear all the foot-traffic and the elevator's signals. But, one gets what one pays for since District Hotel was the least expensive amongst the hotels listed. For one night I would survive!

The young lady working at the reception was great!! Friendly, professional, helpful and welcoming.

The location was close to my office.

The beds are old and very uncomfortable. The public parking lot is down the street and costs $35 a day, and is not easy to find or labeled clearly. The staff was unfriendly and would not make eye contact. The room smelled musty and didn't feel very clean

The location was close to my office.

Onsite parking for only 5 cars. Ice machine was broken. Small room was clean.

Onsite parking was advertised but it was not stated that there was only room for 5 cars and it was never available while I was there. Also was not made clear that parking had an additional charge if used. The ice machine was broken.

The very small bedroom room was clean. The bathroom was up to date and nice.

Not recommended

My bed made so much noise, I ask for fres sheets and they didn't have it, not ice machine working , the hand wash didn’t work it ...

They are really bad ...