Reviews of Briarwood Suites 2 stars

6.2

6.1

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

Wonderful...

The only thing that I didn't like but not really a problem. Was the busy street (Powell). Other than that it was a wonderful stay.

Very nice and clean. The staff here is super nice and is very helpful. And promt. As is there maid service. And I think its great for the money. We were here for an expended amount of time, and the price was good.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

4.5
    We had 90th aniv

They tried to charge a few dollar higher than that I had booking price through the booking.com. So I mentioned to them why price is more higher than what I had booked through Booking.com.At first they refused to take my request, then he called his boss, after quite while he agreed that booking.com’s price. Also they copied my driver’s liscence, my credit card and my freind’s driver’s licenses,too. I didn’t feel secured that why they had to copy our personal informations.

Room was good and clean.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

For the $70 odd a night price it was more than adequate.

It was a mild inconvenience that they did not do breakfast but that was made clear at the time of booking and there is a mall almost opposite.

It was a large room for the price. The King bed was comfortable. Everything was more than adequate for the price. Friendly staff at Reception. The #9 bus stops outside and gives a clear run into downtown Portland for a $5 all-day ticket.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

There was a couple of homeless guys camped 75 feet in front...

There was a couple of homeless guys camped 75 feet in front of our door. The refrigerator didn't work, so our leftovers spoiled. The ice machine didn't work.

Homeless and loud

This hotel was in a very shady part of Portland. Just off property was a large homeless camp. Around 2:00am the couple in the next room started talking loudly. It sound like they were in our room. That went on for about 30 minutes. Not sure if the did their business and left or just went to sleep. We got up early the next morning and left. In the daylight you could see closed and fenced businesses and again homeless people roaming the area.

On the website there was written that they could keep our...

On the website there was written that they could keep our luggages, instead during the check out they told us that they don't have any luggage's room. The room was dirty and dust under the couch. Not a good smell inside the room.

Disappointed!!!
    • Double Queen Room

The area, room, no breakfast and it wasnt that clean!

Well this hotel on the pictures looks better but when you get there you literally need to check in at 3pm not before like some hotels might let you and my blanket had a hole like from a cigarette burn there were stains on the floor and couch I brought my own towels and blanket and pillows good thing !!!! The area looked scary I would never stay here again but everything else was booked or too expensive due to an event I had no other option!!!

Felt at home :)

The staff was so friendly and accommodating. My daughter forgot her shoes and the gentleman, only his second day, went above and beyond to help us track them down. We are so thankful for their hospitality and kindness! Thank you!

Good place to stay

The bed was broken at the foot and up against the wall, I had to climb in. I kept waking up because it was sleeping on a waterbed.

The room was spacious, I liked that the bed was separated from the couch. Had lots of light and an air conditioner. The room was clean and smelled real good. It also has a fridge and microwave both work well.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

The property was very dated

The water pressure was so low in the shower it took forever to get the shampoo and conditioner out of your hair. The room was very old and dated the wall paper was coming off the walls. Bed was lumpy

The property was very dated

Venturous
    • Double Queen Room

No breakfast, no iron or board and air conditioning was not working properly. Took forever to check in due to connection for booking.

Very accessible to transits. Convenient store open 24 hours near buy. Movie theater around the block with a walmart and ross. Restuarants walking distance. Someone at desk 24 hrs.

Not a bad stay!
    • Double Queen Room

The beds are hard and very squeaky. Our air conditioner didn't work either, which was tough with warmer weather here.

It's so close to family, why would I not stay here! The rooms have been updated a bit, which was nice. No frills, but a good deal for a weeks stay!

No recomendation

The carpet was terribly stained. The top lock was broken off the door. The couch was shredded like a cat had lived there for years. The bathtub was chipped. Homeless people were rolling their grocery carts right past our room in the middle of the night. We booked 3 nights but left after 2. No refund. I should have taken pictures.

We got this motel because it was close to the people we were visiting there.

Like something out of a horror film.

All of it! When my husband went to get a refund another customer in front of him in line was wanting to see the property’s security cameras because someon had stolen the stereo out of his car!

The place was a total dump. It looked like there was blood on the carpet. You could tell that the care minimum was done to clean it up if at all. And the place had a horrible perfume smell like they were trying to compensate for something.

pleasant stay
    • Double Queen Room

my bed was not made....I understand using non soiled bedding, and that would have been ok.

my room was not made up on the second day....was out so did not make the bed back. They did leave fresh towels.....the room was very nicely appointed with two queens. microwave and small frig, comfortable bed, small sitting room and a desk to work from, so got some work done....nice over all and the parking felt secure too. Check in and check out was done in a timely manner and very helpful stall. Great mix of places to eat and nicely located.

I asked for extra towels and was told I could not get any.

I asked for extra towels and was told I could not get any. I asked for an iron and was told to take it back immediately after I finished???? The gentlemen was not nice at all and very rude! The room smelled horrible, no hangers were provided and the lock to the door didn't work.

It was fine for the price, it just needed to be cleaned better between guests.

It looked like it had not been vacuumed before we showed up, there was debris all over the floor and under the bed there was a lot of dust and scraps of trash..

The room was cozy.

Don't go here.

Didn't like standing in ankle deep water while taking a shower and a trickle of water coming out of the shower head even though they had really good water pressure coming from lower faucet. Also the fact that I asked for it to be fixed and they didn't do anything.

The quiet room away from traffic noise.

I think we'll look into Air BnB next time.
    • Double Queen Room

I was disappointed to find us booked into a second floor room. There was no option in online booking to request ground floor. We are older folks, and our four rather heavy suitcases were quite a chore for me to carry up and down the stairs. We'd already started unpacking when we realized the A/C unit wasn't putting out really cool air. Portland was in a heat wave, expecting high 90's for several days! We moved to a next door room. After completely unpacking we realized the refrigerator wasn't working. I tried turning it completely off, and on again - about four times. It may have been working properly by the end of our second day. Found long hairs in the bathtub - not ours. The beds really were pretty awful, rather like hammocks. Pillows were an odd assortment, all “well-used.” The couch in the "lounge area" was dilapidated - rather unsightly really. No electric coffeepot in room. We drink tea in the mornings, so coffee available in the motel office is no use to us. The "several times" that we stayed at the Briarwood Suites were more than a decade ago, between 2000 and 2007. At that time I believe they were associated with a national chain, and I was generally impressed with the accommodations. It appears that these units have suffered ten years of wear and tear without sufficient maintenance, and little or no replacement of worn-out furniture, carpets, etc.

Stayed here several times before - it's convenient to my sister's house in SE Portland.

We have stayed at the Briarwood several times before -...
    • Double Queen Room

Our 2 night stay earlier in the week had been in a second floor room. We are older folks, and our four rather heavy suitcases were quite a chore for me to carry up and down the stairs. So I asked for this 4 night reservation to be on the ground floor. When we arrived we were sent to a room with only one king bed, though our original reservation was for two queens - an absolute must for us. Fortunately there were plenty of two bed rooms available for us to switch to. Closing the window curtains completely covered the A/C unit. I had to borrow wooden clothes pins from my sister to clip up the curtains so we could use the A/C at night. Found long hairs in the bathtub - not ours. The couch was missing, though all we would have used it for was stacking things on. The beds really were pretty awful, rather like hammocks. Pillows were an odd assortment, all “well-used.” Maid service was apparently not automatic. The first morning I didn't put out the "Maid Please" sign no one cleaned the room, and we were out of towels. No electric coffeepot in room. We drink tea in the mornings, so coffee available in the motel office is no use to us. The "several times" that we stayed at the Briarwood Suites were more than a decade ago, between 2000 and 2007. At that time I believe they were associated with a national chain, and I was generally impressed with the accommodations. It appears that these units have suffered ten years of wear and tear without sufficient maintenance, and little or no replacement of worn-out furniture, carpets, etc.

We have stayed at the Briarwood several times before - it's conveniently near my sister's house in SE Portland.

Pretty good, not great.
    • Double Queen Room

There's no elevator at the property, so if you have heavy luggage you'll have to schlep those up some stairs should your room be on the second floor. Parking at the property is a bit tricky due to the awkward way you have to pull into the lot. My room was clean but the furniture was a little worn down.

Calling this a suite would be generous, but it was larger than a "standard" hotel room and well furnished with a separate seating area separated from the beds by a partition. The beds were quite comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. The front desk staff were A+ people, very nice and courteous.

Cheap, comfortable room but did not feel safe

There were homeless druggies walking through halls at night and approached me on numerous occasions when I returned at night. Outside lighting was not good, locks on the doors were not adequate and I did not feel safe.

Comfortable room and very clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Good price.

Not sure why the bad reviews, this place was great! Especially for the price.

I wasn't in to the phone call 15 minutes before check out reminding us what time it is. 15 minutes is plenty of time to go down a flight of stairs.

Super close to the Portland Mercado. Neighborhood felt relatively safe. The staff was extremely nice, especially the lady that checked us in. The room was wayyyy nicer than we thought it was going to be, and very big!

BED BUGS:(

The room which we stayed in had bed bugs. I attempted to contact management 3 times, including sending photos of my arm covered in bites, but management would not respond to my emails or phone calls. This hotel is filthy and the staff are not responsive.

Rooms nice. Area not so nice.

Parking lot was very dirty with homeless camping at the end of the lot. Found "junkie" needles in the parking lot. The guest service said they had no gloves to pick them up. I explained it was a must and two hours later they found a pair of gloves to pick up the needles. Homeless shopping carts under stairwell.

The rooms were nice and clean.

Looks can be deceiving.

The owner

I found a used needle behind the microwave almost immediately. The owner was rude. He tried to kiss me and my boyfriend walked in. He told me he had pictures of me from online and when I left he called me a fat pig.

The night manager tried to be accomodating, calling other...

The room was filthy. There were stains in the carpet, hair globbed in the shower floor, didn't feel like sitting on any of the furniture because they looked dirty. And then we laid down in the bed. I saw something moving just inches from my eye! There were bedbugs, many bedbugs, between the sheets!!! Will never stay at this hotel again!

The night manager tried to be accomodating, calling other hotels to help us find a different place to stay upon the discovery of bedbugs!

A great value with great extra room!

There was a long patch of dirt between the parked cars and the motel room doors that had to be crossed to get in. Perhaps they were prepping it for a new lawn or rock covering, so no big deal.

The room actually was a suite with a separate sitting area that we did not expect! A quiet, private area out the back window. We enjoyed ourselves and will return. A++

Overpriced for what it is and not really a two star motel. I'd give it at most one star.
    • Double Queen Room

The rug was scary. It had big stains, so I wore flip-flops around the room. The room looked old and worn, and the location wasn't good. Wifi kept cutting out. They did have lots of security cameras that the desk clerk could easily review, so I wasn't too worried about my car getting broken into. I wouldn't have stayed there if I were a single female--it's not a good neighborhood. The motel is old and badly in need of redecoration.

The towels were nicer than I expected.

It wasn't the worst experience ever, but I could never recommend it to anyone.
    • Double Queen Room

It's very run down, and most of it wasn't very clean, although I wasn't worried about the linens. No coffee pot in room, very old mini fridge and microwave, bathtub constantly dripped, big stain on carpet, framed artwork was hung upside down, last updates seemed done by amateurs. Kind of a shady neighborhood. Not very quiet. Window was dirty. In the morning, a dog had pooped in the upstairs walkway.

The lady at the front desk was really friendly. I felt like the linens were clean. Plenty of parking. Near highway. Good strong air conditioner. Room was a pretty nice size.

The front desk staff were helpful and very pleasant.
    • Double Queen Room

Hotel is in a sketchy neighbourhood. This is a very basic hotel, with old furniture and saggy beds. We brought our own pillows, sheets and blankets (no way I was getting in to that bed!) Large room...small bathroom.

The staff were very pleasant. The location was very convenient as we were travelling through the I-5.

Not a great stay for the money.

Not real clean and the rooms need a lot of maintenance done (for example: tighten toilet seat, adjust bathroom door so it will close, some paint projects need doing and plumbing needs updating). Also need new maids as they spend a lot of time supposedly cleaning rooms for the rooms to be as dirty as ours was. We ended up cleaning our room ourselves but didn't feel real comfortable knowing how poorly the maids did their job.

Good parking on property.

Won't do it again!

The pictures of the hotel are very misleading. The rooms are dirty, the furniture is dirty, and the hotel is located in a "bad" area.

The property is very dated, in a bad area, and there are legitimate safety concerns.

Great Value and Comfort

Room was very large and comfortable with small, separate living area. Bathroom fully stocked; great WiFi. We only stayed one night, but this would be a perfect place for longer stays; especially for budget travelers.

this was our second time staying at the hotel and the room...
    • Double Queen Room

this was our second time staying at the hotel and the room this time our room was not as great as the first time. There was a hole in the bathroom door, there was no chain on the door for added security. I was also approached in the parking lot by a person asking if I had change for a 50. I don't remember so many sketchy people being in the parking lot.

Your check in clerk lacks customer service.
    • Double Queen Room

Your check in clerk lacks customer service. She would give attitude to what looked like the manager ( young guy, wears a suit and tie) when he asked her kindly if she could kindly take over the counter, as he was going to the bank to get some change for the large bills. This woman looked to be in her 60s, blonde hair, with an accent from Europe, maybe Russian Ukrainian or Slovakian. She is pleasant, just learn how to portray yourself to the customer and to your staff, because you lacked that aspect of this position.

Won't go back. Sorry.

After checking in and going to the room, we were very disappointed. Our daughter got stuck in the bathroom because the door was broke as if someone kicked it in. There was a hide a bed, but no bedding on it. When we asked for bedding they said they dont provide it because thats not considered a "bed." But, we were charged an extra $20 for the 3rd person. The gentleman who was there at checkin was very nice, though. He did come check out the door (didnt fix it) and he did bring bedding (even though its not something they do). He said he would make it right for us. At check out there was nothing pasted on to the clerk and we did not even receive a discount. Don't think we will stay here again.

Never stay here.
    • Disabled Double Queen Room

Hardly any of the wall plugs were working had trouble charging our electronic devices. There were roaches and ants in our room and the exterior of the facility was riddled with syringes from the homeless in the area. People didn't clean up after their pets.

Awful ace.
    • Double Queen Room

Terrible. Dirty. Smelled bad. People screami u and swearing. Told manager to call police. Did not. Told them to quiet down. They were loud forxaboutx3 hours. I was afraid.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

I have a problem with payment.

I have a problem with payment. Money were charged from my credit card twice: first time from hotel (manager at reception didn't use booking.com reservation) and second time from booking.com (because according to booking.com we didn't cancel reservation on time). Partial refund was made by hotel, but I still waiting for complete refund.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Not ever going back

The room was dark, the toilet ran, the couch was filthy, there was no guide to the TV, the furniture was chipped and dirty, the room smelled strongly of deodorized cleaner.

Location close to family, good restaurant next door

The rooms were posted as non-smoking, BUT the room smelled like smoke it had an ashtray in it and we found cigarette buts outside the room and on the stairs next to the room down to the parking lot. There were stains in the carpet, there were patched areas from water damages. The room was not worth it and a big disappointment.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Unless you're on a VERY restricted budget, avoid this place.

The wifi was terrible; the tv reception was terrible; the towels were dirty; the grounds were dirty, the floors were dirty; the bed was uncomfortable.

It was spacious, had a fridge and micro, and was fairly cheap and convenient.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

We had a good stay and it was close to the people we were visiting

Didn't like noisy people upstairs. Also there was garbage on the corner nearby and a tent set up for homeless as well.

The bed was super comfy and the room was pretty nice.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Convenient to eastside Portland and I-205

get rid of the smoking, in the breezeway and in some rooms, where it seeps into the "non-smoking" rooms. It will be the reason to not stay here again.

quiet location

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Friendly helpfull answered all questions if did not know...
    • Double Queen Room

There was a coffee maker in room no coffee or cups had to go down stairs and ask for them.

Friendly helpfull answered all questions if did not know answer checked out on line.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

WONDERFUL place Enjoy my stay

WONDERFUL place Enjoy my stay

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Large room.

There was a homeless encampment on the sidewalk in front of the hotel.

Large room.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

very disappointed

everything

Coffee no other amenities

Great experience

Successful

The reservation I had made was for the next day and the desk person did everything he could to change it and was Successful

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

You get what you pay for.

Staff wasn't so helpful.

The location worked for me.

Was fairly clean.

The fridge didn’t work. The couch was nasty and it smelled funny.

Was fairly clean.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Price isnt worth it, go on hotwire better options lower price.
    • Double Queen Room

High priced but not high looking

Staying in same room for month

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Soft bed.

Soft bed. Very quiet. Modern facility

3.5
    Don't ask for anything at the Briarwood Suites

Staff (Front desk personel) were rude, unhelpful, and treatrd us as if we we homeless.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Large room that was clean.

Large room that was clean. However, we stayed three nights, and our room was missed for cleaning service after second night.

No room services

I would like to see free breakfast

Motel style accommodation with nearby shops and restaurants and good bus link to downtown Portland.
    • Double Queen Room

The outside space and some of the decor was a bit tired.

Room was big

Very friendly staff.

Very friendly staff. Big room.

Aside from a few signs of this motel showing it’s age, it’s clean and a good value.

Good value and location

Ease

Maybe more coffee and free pastries

Ease

It was ok.

Cops came twice and lots of yelling. Bed had no bedside tables for water or books.

Size of room. Location

• Disabled Double Queen Room

i will never stay there again.

everything especially the staff

rude people and filthy rooms

Bed good

Small bathroom

Bed good

Staff very friendly

Staff very friendly

In and out

The bed was uneven couldn’t sleep left at 330 am

It was cheap

I liked the separation wall.

The bed was not the same comfort thought the whole bed. One side drooped.

I liked the separation wall. Also hot water was great the whole time.

Would not stay there again for half the price.

Sheets appeared iffy

The manager brought us a new set of sheets as the ones on the bed had hair on them.

I won't stay there again.

Too close to the road (traffic noise). Property looked like a rock band had stayed there the night before.

I liked leaving.

horrible stay, nosey and very rude staff. wouldn't recommend. point blank period

Staff very unfriendly and alil to nosey

Soft bed and blankets

Very nice for the price

No coffee pot in room.

Big room, lots of space

Bed was VERY comfy

Location was a little sketchy

Bed was VERY comfy

Ugh. Filthy.

It was filthy. Stains everywhere.