Reviews of Inn on Broadway 2 stars

2201 Van Ness Avenue, Van Ness, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA

#168 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

Room and bathroom could’ve been cleaner and the hotel needs updating. Pillows weren’t great either and I could hear a lot of noise from other rooms as the walls were thin.

The location was good for all the sights and the room was big.

I paid $100 US deposit, i am still trying to get it back. Very unfriendly people to deal with at the desk and the problem does not go away, after all this time I am still waiting for my money.

location was good

WIFI barely worked. I wouldn't stay here if you need any internet access, however there is a Starbucks down the road.

Comfy bed and convenient location with car park!

The strange smell in the room and some broken springs on my side of my bed. There was only one remote available for the two TVs in the room.

The only good thing was that there was parking available.

The restaurant was closing down and there were not too many good ones nearby, so had to walk up and down the street to find some for breakfast. Could also be cheaper I believe.

Very good central location, close to the pier! Comfortable clean and friendly staff

Found a hair on my bed sheets that wasn’t mine, but I can get past that.

It will do for something planned last minute and with good location. Bed wasn’t the best but the room was spacious.

The room was dirty as well as the bath tub. My 14 month old baby found a small bag containing drug residue on the floor when brought to the staffs attention they simply said oh sorry there was no let’s change your room or even sending someone to clean it up I did it myself. Definitely a waste of money will never stay in this crappy motel again

the room was very spacious; bed was very comfortable

NO need to be choosy this is the lowest rate in the area!

I booked this hotel expecting that the restaurant is open for as to have a early breakfast everyday.But upon arrival in the hotel i learned that it was closed fro 2 weeks and will not open again..

Very strong smell to cleaning products in the room, which in a sense it is also a good sign.

In general good value for the prize in San Francisco, I would say that is the strongest point. Rooms are fine and location very convenient for a walking sightseeing tour of San Francisco.

See previous review but after 11 nights I thought there may be some concession for a later check out

This was an extra night because my flight was not until 10pm BUT I had to pay a WHOLE night's accommodation just to check out at 5 instead of 11am :(

I read terrible reviews on yelp and was worried. The hotel is being updated and the rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff really friendly.

The rooms were really lacking... had a strong oder of weed and the safety lock was missing. Burn holes in the bedding.

Location was great and the free parking was a bonus. The customer service was exceptional!

Bad wifi connection. Could be a bit cheaper.

Great location, friendly staff (they let us park here few more hours after check out), clean and quite comfortable rooms.

The bathroom needed a little updating, there was a fan that wasn't connected and some wires were exposed, but not dangerously.

Great location, easy FREE and SAFE parking, staff was extremely courteous!

The coffee maker was total garbage; stop wasting money on it! Seriously, better to have nothing than what's there.

King bed was comfy & a good sized room. Wasted space beside the bathroom ~ bathroom could be made bigger when it's reno time! Was nice to have a fridge and microwave.

Could never connect to the internet even though it looked like I was. For a one night stay it was fine for me but I expected more.

For the first time in a very long time I slept through the night.

I left jewelry in the room and they never called or tried to Return it despite I waited on the property for over an hour and a half. The second time this has happened before .

I liked and appreciated the staff... especially the morning I checked out I was running late b/c my boyfriend had unplugged and the alarm clock but they didn't dock me for running A bit late and they were very understanding.

It is potentially very noisy from traffic, the room was often not done until after 4 and there were a couple of minor repairs that made the room shabby e.g., broken blinds.

The facility was as described except that the Breakfast/lunch diner closed down during my stay which was for 11 nights. My room was spacious and the king bed comfy. Van Ness Avenue is a very busy street but I was very lucky that they were nice enough to give me a quiet room which even had a view of Golden Gate. The staff were very nice, the location excellent for any part of SF you wanted to go to, especially an area I'd never thought of called Union Street which had great restaurants, coffee shops and niche shopping.

We were told we could leave our bags on the day we check out, but then found out that we could only leave it there until 15h00 and we only had a 24h00 flight out of SFO so had to drag our bags with us the rest of the day. The chemicals they use to clean the rooms has a strong smell.

Place was clean. Next to a main street with lots of buses going by.

The beds, I didn’t like the bed linen and carpet. The carpet seemed very dirty. Otherwise everything was as expected

Beds weren’t firm, they were very bouncy. There was lots of space in the room, closet area had a mini empty room and fridge with microwave. My children used this room for playtime. We had the bathroom with a door following that space. Internet worked for the most part and cable worked as well. Room is definitely what you paid for, however it is ideally located walking distance of the marine.

Parking is awful, diner closed permanently the day we arrived so after getting there at 9pm on a Saturday not much was open for dining. Room was dirty: our Son’s feet were filthy after walking on carpet for less than 5 minutes. Hipsters were right outside smoking weed so we had to keep our window shut. Homeless people were shitting on the sidewalk and pulling their pants down picking scabs on their legs...how disgusting!

It had availability and was the ‘cheapest’ in the area.

It was a bit tough to park our SUV at parking space, but possible.

It didn't look very promising from outside, but inside appeared to be very nice. Room was spacious enough, clean and seems to be recently refurnished. We had a coffee-maker and fridge in the room. Non-smoking rooms were really non-smoking. The receptionist was very friendly and efficient. Comparing to our previous motel experience-very good value for money.

Situated at intersection of two busy streets. Traffic noise. Interior is old and outdated.

Located relatively close to the Fisherman Warf and other tourist attractions. Local shops and restaurants nearby. Free parking.

When it is raining some of the stairs are not covered on the way to the room

There were no more parking spots left when I arrived, and the desk clerk offered me their parking space.

Bathroom was a little outdated,but very clean.,they need to get new bedspread, quick and easy update,T.v was brand new 32 in.flatscreen,but didnt work!!@!!, the manager took off 25$ off rent. And it wasnt rasy,i had to work 4 that, price was rite. Location, and the manager was a real nice guy,got my deposit back,felt very comfortable using my credit card,piece of mind is important for me. I would recommend that hotel to a friend,its not the Rittz,but your not paying 379.00$ either, " Solid Clean and Safe!"

Room was large,very clean

It seem to be fairly run-down although it did look as though they were painting and doing some upgrades on the exterior the rooms do need to be upgraded but all in all it was a pleasant stay

It was centrally located which was very convenient and they had free parking which was very nice

In extreme need of updating and cleaning. Only three small pillows available for two people . Asked for another one but never got one

The location is good, Parking not bad but full on our second night so had to park on street.

The sheets smells and looks old. The tub is disgusting.

Nothing. The rooms smells like cigarettes. Elevator don't work and just dirty on the stairs!!

Would be better if they have an electronic kettle in the room. Coffee machine wasn’t working.

Great location. Good price compared to the rest of what San Fran can offer.

Rate not matching Justifications came that booking makes this rate Noise all over the day Under renewal and no privacy at all

I did not like anything , it’s not meet any expectations The rate is very high in first two days not as I see on your page

It's an older hotel, so keep that in mind. But in regards to the price, it was good for my one-night stay for a special event. Looks like they're in process of an upgrade, anyway.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean, and the staff were very friendly. The location was perfect for my event, and I felt like the parking garage was a safe place to park. No problem finding a spot as many were available.

Bed was uncomfortable and had bed bugs Bathroom door did not close. Other patrons were extremely loud and partying after midnight! Men were painting right outside bedroom door at 7am! Never will I go here again!

Nothing. Lady at front desk was very polite though

I have stayed here on several occasions. Free parking is a must in SF. I have booked O/S visitors here also and they happy with the accommodation. Will always stay here when I visit SF

They were renovating the place, so many workers around, some noise, and paint smell.

The service was outstanding. Staff was really kind and helpful, willing to solve any emerging issue promptly, anytime. Service room every day. I didn't expect it for the price, but it was an extra touch from this place. The place is close to everything, public transport, and stylish cafes and restaurants. Walking distance to centre, so location is quite convenient.

Everything was perfect.

The room was much nicer than others that have been more expensive. The location was right in the heart of the city of San Francisco with a large window view. I was able to get a great deal at this hotel.

In My friends room on the ground floor, the dead bolt didn’t work so she moved the desk in front of door!

We had rooms right on the parking lot on first floor...very noisy until 11 o’clock at night. Parking is tight but available with a bit of creativeness by staff

Parking was awful. Construction made the parking even worse.

The room was a good size. The outside didn’t match the inside. Much nicer and updated inside than the out.

There was construction on the street by the inn, so it was kinda loud at night.

Location is amazing! You can walk to all the famous places like union square and Ghirardelli and China town.

The glass in the windows needs to be cleaned or changed with new glass, and the WiFi was terrible- it kept dropping every 10-20 seconds so I couldn’t send any emails or do any work online!!! This was the biggest problem I had. If you upgarde your internet, I would definitely consider returning.

The room was nice, with great views.

There were homeless people lingering in the lobby, staff was clueless as to how to check us in & took a LONG time, keys weren't properly coded, was given a smoking room despite my mention of my son's Kawasaki handicap that can be fatal by smoke elements, the smell of smoke was immense, towels & shower had foreign hair strands all over the place, outlets didn't work, and per smoke complaint, I was basically told I could check out if I liked. The outside was under construction, nothing like the pictures, and we felt like we were at a motel. They could've warned us about exterior, and smokey room!

Location was ok.

The price is little higher than I expected and. This motel has old facilities not very friendly people .

The location is nice . There are restaurants and some fancy stores near by.

-Weird smell at 1st entry to my room. -Price is expensive, well this San Fransisco where houses & life cost are most expensive than other places in USA. -Wifi too slow

Spacious room & clean, quiet room if u got room which is not facing the main street, save location! Close to many attraction spots. Shops & restaurants nearby. Great staffs. Free parking.

The room was a bit old and warn but clean. The disinfectant that was used by the cleaning staff was very strong ... we opened the door and turned on the air conditioner/heater to get rid of it ... it took 15 mins.

The location was just right, pretty much the center of the city for the things we wanted to do. Also, I was in a wheelchair and we were able to park very near our room even though we did not have a handicapped room (there is additional parking below the building)

The receptionist checked me into someone else room & charged my card; then turned around & charged me for my room. I had pending double charges on my account. Also the hotel seemed like it was a place for prostitution. It was highly uncomfortable for men to stand in front of the hotel all night with under-dressed women going room to room all night. Lastly the room bed sheets were not changed it had cigarette burns all over them & the bathroom shower & sink was disgusting. I chose not to shower.

The room smelled like bleach. At least it was clean!

The location is excellent. Near Union Street restaurants, and shopping. Hot tubs available to rent by the hour, across the street. Parking is included at no extra charge.

Shower pressure was great. Staying around the US on trips most showers had little pressure. Rooms included fridge which was nice and were a decent size.

I had a strange smell in my room and it got stuck to my jacket that was hanging in there for a couple of days, I kept rest of my clothes in my bag and they were fine. You could smell it if you step in, but you'd get used to it quite soon.

Very good location and getting around the city is easy from there (on foot and using public transport). Breakfast place downstairs. Quite good value for money and, surprisingly, it was basically the only place I found to have private bathroom in that price range.

My card information was stolen and used online right after I left, just as it was the last time i stayed here about 5 years ago. Though one receptionist was very nice, I couldn't help but notice another hateful woman behind the desk - one who was also there that day 5 years ago - who literally would not say a word to me, refused to look me in the eye, and had no visible nametag. I'm sad to say they also use the same security-free means of processing your card (they make a physical impression of your card on paper, leave it sitting out for awhile, and then file the paper in a visibly unlocked folder right behind the desk). So despite the price and the free parking, this stay was my final goodbye to the Inn on Broadway.

Parking and price

foul smell in room, coffee maker does not work and fixed after 3 days. Bed sheet has burned holes. sound isolation is poor.

good location, easy access to restaurants and public communication, save environment. affordable price comparing other hotels around.

Hidden $100 deposit, we just faced at check-in. Very bad smell in room, we had to leave the door open for an hour. Very noisy because of other young guests, coming home at 2 am, and also traffic is like happening in your room. We couldn't sleep, or just briefly.

Good location, fast check-in, professional crew. Place has everything we need, even ironing. Good fridge and tea maker.

The elevator wasn’t working one day, but was restored. Construction on building an eyesore. Water pipes in wall were noisy, occasionally.

Nice to have a frig and microwave, plus in room coffee. Parking in SF is a real plus! Nice and helpful staff.

There was a slight smell to the room but it could have been that there was construction being done to the property, just bought Fabreeze and sprayed and problem solved.

Good location, staff very nice and friendly and helpful with info to my questions.

The smell of the room not sure if it was a room someone smoked before or the cleaning stuff they use... But it was a non smoking room...

The location of the room was great... The only thing I would say was the smell of the room kind of bother me a bit...

Our first night we had no sleep. The people above us stomped & jumped and partied into the wee hours. The reception staff were good when we spoke to them the next day about it, and talked to the other guests about their noise. Crappy wi-fi which improved after the weekend and people left. Car park building smelt of urine & was flooded when we arrived. Didn’t like all the people smoking outside our room - they need a dedicated area away from the hotel rooms.

The room was clean & recently refurbished. Free parking. Good security in the car park. Reception staff helpful.

It is a little old and a little run down but San Francisco is old and a little run down.

The location was great. The staff were excellent. The room was fine, had everything we needed.

Staffs are very friendly and they let us use the parking space after checking out. So we walked to the most crooked street on Lombard and Pier 39 and came back before 3pm, which is the next check in time. Saved quite a bit of parking fee. There was not a kitchen but had a coffee maker, microwave and a small refrigerator. The HVAC seems a new so we put the heater on and it was very quiet. Had a good stay there.

The toilet couldn't flush. The showers water were leaking into the room and drenched the carpet. Old looking place in general. Sketchy corridors with catcalling tenants. Narrow parking. Elevator permit expired 2 years ago. Non smoking room had smoke. Insufficient towels.

Good shower pressure.

The room, bed , bed sheets , pillows, coffee machine didn’t work.! And the cleanliness overall ! Oh and the sheets were really dirty! Disgusting..

I liked the location and the price

There was one night it was so noisy people arguing and screaming .

The free parking and there was parking even though I had to leave few times during the day.

It was a little bit noisy

Great location. Very clean. Everything worked and there were no hassles. It doesn’t look like the most appealing hotel but for a comfortable sleep in a good location, it was good

furniture and wall color of the room were very dark - could be a lot nicer if the colors were brighter/more cheerful

big comfy bed, clean bathroom with good shower, friendly helpful staff, very little street noise in our room, easy check-in and check-out, good location in secure area, great breakfast pancakes in cafe next door

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

the room and the entire place had a weird smell, must have been the carpet in the room - didn't look fresh or clean, the building is quite old so even if cleaned, does't look so it was quite cold and the air-conditioning was very loud and wasn't sufficient to warm up the entire room, wifi connection was rather weak

Spacious room with 2 bedroom areas gives a bit more privacy when more people travel together, easy to find, not too far from the center

The room stunk. The pillowcases were YELLOW (and not as a color choice). The carpet felt damp. There was hair on the "clean" sheets and in the shower. It was very loud from street noise and the parking directly outside of the room. We found what appeared to be blood splatter on the curtain. There were several homeless wandering the property. The ONLY drink machine on the property was out of order.

The only thing I did not like, has nothing to do with the room, was that the exit for the garage on Broadway, is built so strangely, my car got dragged and there was serious marks, I'm not sure about damage.

I liked how clean the room was. I liked that the bed didn't smell used or gross. I really liked the mini fridge and microwave that was IN THE ROOM, along with the coffee maker. There is also a heater/AC, so that was really comforting. Also, it was great to go into a room that doesn't smell like it's been used by smokers!

Security in the garage was uncertain. Our room on the op floor was quiet enough but the usual thin walls in a hotel/motel of this vintage meant that we were aware of neighbors.

The staff was great. Room was spacious and clean.

When checking In, there was two people trying to sell my wife and I drugs, right in front of the owner/ desk clerk. The rooms are dirty, hair all over the sheets and the room had a dirty stinch. I will never stay there again or ever suggest anyone to stay there.

They were repainting the exterior, so pretty noisy, even early in the morning, but strictly a temporary situation.

Great location, easy access to public transportation, excellent breakfast/lunch restaurant on site, and FREE parking!

the room had a old musky smell whochbtrigfered my allergies and there were construction on the exterior of the building earlier in the morning. This construction worker are creeps, my window was broken and we weren't able to shut it so as they were working outside the worker would stare in the room the whole time and follow me when I went outside.

Wi-Fi didn’t work at the room (4th floor). We told the reception guys, but were advised to call the internet provider ourselves.

Spacey room, clean and comfortable. The hotel is 15 min walk from the bay and the Fisher Market. Also close to the cable car lines which bring you to the central square.

Staff cancelled my reservation, entered my room, pilfered my belongings, threw out what they didn't want and then denied ever having the conversation where I told them I'd be returning in the afternoon and that I wanted to prepay such as to avoid any possible issues, I was assured it wasn't necessary... When I returned it became very apparent that this is a hustle of theirs, I had thousands of dollars worth of goods in there, I managed to retrieve some things from the trash but the video tapes inside had been set to not record audio that day and the staff that did the "clean up" all point the finger at the boss who won't return my phone calls. This is an outrage.

Perfect location, few minutes walk to cable car stop, away from the biggest noise, real customerfriendly staf, all local facilities around the corner.

Stinky air condition unit in our room. Limited parking space could be a problem when you drive a bigger car.

Good location in SF and, suprisingly quiet room.

Not enough pillows and were small.

Beds not too bad and only 3 small pillows per queen bed! Adequate bath facilities once you worked out how shower worked. Last minute booking so value for money.

We have a really bad time, the very next day of our stay someone try to robbed us, and broke our window in the parking lot. It’s not a safe area. The hotel is old, the room has a humidity smell, and the pillows where terrible.

The cleaning was ok.

Although I had a room furthest back from the road it was quite noisy. A lot of shouting from the street about the time the clubbers were going home and other residents doors closing seemed to rattle through the building.

Hotel was in a good location and was pretty much as I expected from the description given.

Browse Inn on Broadway traveller photo gallery