Reviews of Buena Vista Motor Inn 3 stars

1599 Lombard Street, Marina District, San Francisco, CA 94123, USA

#13 of 19 B&Bs and Inns in San Francisco

Only the type of the shower, it hanging on the wall. A bit difficult to shower kids

The hotel (both room and bath room) , the lady in front desk is also ok, you might have a little problem with parking for the limited space but the lady in front desk is so helpful. I stay with my parents , husband, and two sons (7 & 3 yo) this hotel is exceeding our expectations..

Room and facility were a little cramped.

Great location near the Wharf, business district, Alcatraz tour, and Golden Gate Bridge. Parking on site for easy in-out access for two days.

The neighborhood was so so, there were a lot of drunk at the surrounding, especially at night. Parking was not too well. The garage was low and narrow parking space. I had a large van and had to park on the street overnight and I lost a side mirror of my car during the night. It was broke in pieces.

Breakfast was good, bed were comfortable. Surrounding restaurant were a distance away, one have to walk several blocks to get any good restaurant. It is ok if you want fast food.

elevator was slow

location was great close to everything, free parking, continental breakfast, clean room and comfortable bed, price, balcony on the third floor

Water pressure in the shower was really low. It took me three times as long to take a shower due to the time it took to rinse my hair.

Great location, room, friendly staff.

The aircon didnt work well , it gets uncomfortable at night

Breakfast good , facility is clean , staff are friendly and the location is great close to almost every places of interest

The room has some unbearable noise, probably from the AC chillers, but the front office staff offered another single bed room for me to adjust for a night then they fixed the problem on the following day.

Simple, but nice. Great coffee! Along with amazing pastries, cereal, yogurt, they have a bagel station. They have parking!!! I was here Sept/ Oct... many rooms have been refurbished, very nice!

REASONABLE RATES. Very nice neighborhood & location. Non smoking. No traces of stale smoke smell. Clean and neat. Nice comfortable beds. All staff very pleasant and helpful. FREE SAFE PARKING.

My 10 year old niece removed the covers and discovered this on one of the beds. Needless to say all four of us slept on one bed. The bath/shower didn’t work properly and had to call the front desk and they sent someone up to our room 306 to show us how to operate the shower. I stayed here previously and everything was absolutely fantastic and told my family what amazing of a place this was only to have the worst hotel experience of our lives.

The location and free parking. Friendly staff.

The lobby is very small and there are no bathrooms in common areas.

We loved the location. We were at Fisherman's Wharf in a short 10-15 minute walk. We bought tickets for The Big Bus company which stops in front of the hotel! We also loved their continental breakfast. They serve a variety of fresh pastries that we loved with a cup of coffee. They also serve bagels, cereal, yogurt and fruit.

If one was on the 3rd floor, we could hear the footsteps on the 2nd floor, no ramp from the front door to the lobby which was like 5 steps. So if you have heavy luggages, it could be a concern, Black molds on the bathroom ceiling but only a short portion only. Breakfast time could be crowded but we could take the breakfast trays to the room.

The location was just walking distance to ghiardelli, free parking for the vehicles, full breakfast can be taken to the room, 2 queen beds, staff friendly to help and give directions.

Receptionists were very rude. They were of no help and couldn't answer any of the questions I had. Receptionist gave me different answers over the phone and in person, which obviously told me they weren't properly trained. They had very poor customer service! They had told me exactly what I wanted to hear, just so I can pay for the room, once I paid for our room they took back everything they said and said "oh no, sorry I never told you that." NEVER CHOOSE THIS PLACE.

None of the staff members bothered us. Not even to check in if we needed anything.

Wish we could have stayed longer.

The staff went to extra effort to help us. It didn't take them more than 30 seconds but they were there and happy. Great views. Great patio. Very fun. Close to everything you would want. In the middle of the tourist part of the city but still felt very secure.

The parking was very difficult to get in and out of. There was a crowd of people at the front desk in the morning mixed with breakfast. The check in processes was not set up when I arrived and there was no internet.

service was ok.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The opening to get into the shower was quite small.

No parking fees was a plus. The location in relation to Fisherman's Wharf and other highlights we wanted to visit was great. They also provided a map with coupons.

I asked for a microwave right at booking. Was forgotten, and was too late to manage during check-in (5.00 pm). Again was forgotten next day... More attention to guest would be needed.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Girl on front desk did not understand English very well. Took three attempts to get bedding for the sofa bed and the tv remote did not work and we couldn't get one that did.

Breakfast was surprisingly good. Sofa bed was comfortable, which was a shock.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The pullout bed was extremely uncomfortable as the mattress was very thin. The traffic noise was very loud as obviously the old building is badly insulated for noise and heat.

The location was good as was the continental breakfast

Parking stalls were tight, but can't be picky when it's free and others charge $60/night.

Location and price tough to beat with free parking.

Ice machine didn't work. Luke warm water in showers. Front desk girls made check in and out difficult. No refigerators or microwaves. Parking garage is cramped and hard to park.

Clean rooms. Quiet.

Breakfast area is a bit small. Showers were old and a little hard to operate

Location is perfect, close to all major attractions and transportation. On site parking is a big plus

I didn't like how I could hear my next-door neighbor and there was black mold all over the shower ew gross. The situation was horrible.

The morning breakfast was really great they had a big selection and lots of seating. In the hotel room the bed was clean and comfortable.

asked if we wanted street or quiet asked for quiet got street noise. No screen on the window, mildew in the bathroom, bathroom fan dirty which did not allow for ventilation, tub was peeling.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

It’s not fancy. The pull-out sofa bed was a little sad but my kids didn’t complain much.

Great location. Walking distance to waterfront, Chinatown, wharf. Great Vietnamese, Ly’s, down the street. Parking included in rate. The rooftop area was pleasant when we brought a take-out lunch.

Little out dated could use some upgrades but decent.

Price was great compared to others in the area. Not to mention free parking onsite which is very rare in this city. The hotel was close to just about everything. Staff were very helpful and nice. Room was clean and comfortable. Complementary breakfast was decent and consisted of good selection of pastry's,oatmeal, fruit and bagels or cereal. Plus coffee,tea and juice. Overall very decent.

It would have been nice it the air conditioner worked better. It worked but the room always felt a bit warmer than I like...my hot flashes may have clouded my judgment on this!

The staff was fabulous. They were knowledgeable on the area. It was close to everything. We parked our car and then walked or used uber to everything. It is an older motel but seems to have just been updated. As we were checking out, our maid came running down the hall towards us. He had found my Kindle and wanted to make sure we got it back. I would stay here again.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Ice machine broken, smells like cigarettes in the hallways and stairwells, no fridge/microwave

Free breakfast, close to the wharf, walking distance to many places, free parking

Liked location, room was a little basic , could not use shower as there were no instructions and it is a new shower. ps. I've travelled the world could not figure how to turn it on. Hotel is being refurbished so a little messy , but maybe next time it will be worth it. Price wise very good, good little breakfast and free parking is awesome.

The person on the front desk was rude and unhelpful, she was not very approachable and when we had a problem with our room she was not interested in resolving this until booking stepped in. Not what you wants after a late check in and a long flight

The breakfast was sufficient and well stocked

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The lobby space where breakfast was served, was often very cramped due to the small space.

I loved the central location to all the attractions that we wanted to see. The breakfast in the morning was great! It was also very handy having the ‘Big Bus’ stop right out the front door!

I didn’t like the internet it would stop and start. Plugs for electrical outlets hard to find and had to move bed away from the wall to get to one.

I like the free parking and the size of my room.

All was / is okay

All was+ purdee good for what, when, where, & why we needed to be there. ALL is appreciated for your time, availability & patience :)

Rooms were filthy. Bed skirt and curtains stained. No one has ever moved the furniture to clean. Furniture needs to be replaced. Carpet needs cleaning.

Says free parking but when we arrived there were no parkings so they had us double park and we had to leave our car key at the front desk. I feel that is crazy....

• King Room with Sofa Bed

My car was blocked one of the mornings, so decided to take an Uber. Aside from that, everything was good.

We enjoyed our stay. Staff was friendly and helpful! room was spacious and clean.

I didn't like how little they had to serve for breakfast . i seen a couple of muffins and coffee with orange juice. with two types of cereal . i was expecting at least hot food .

When i called the front desk for paper cups, it took them less then 1 min to get up to us. That was nice !

Nothing! All was ok. Lift was a bit slow, but who cares....... I liked the place. Room was great.

Location was good, 30 minutes walk to pier 33, 15 minutes to the fisherman's wharf. Free parking was great, safe and convenient. Not too far from the main routes to leave the city by car.

We stayed her 5 years ago and it was great, now its getting a little tired. It was adequate, but we were a little disappointed.

Well situated in a nice area

A little outdated but nevertheless good place to sleep at night.

A tad noisy during the early night hours on Lombard side but dies off quickly and sleeping is no problem

The room had been minimally cleaned. The walls had splattered something on them and the base boards looked like they hadn’t been cleaned in some time.

Check in staff was a little abrupt and on another occasion a reception staff member couldn’t understand that I was trying to ask him about a late check out. The morning lady at reception though was friendly and polite. The room wasn’t the cleanest. There was plenty of hair in the bathroom and the carpet could do with a good clean. God knows when a vacuum was last put over it.

Close to Fisherman’s Wharf. The free parking was an absolute bonus when others charge in excess of 35 a night. The room was spacious. Good view from the roof of Golden Gate Bridge.

I thought everything was great for the price and for the area.

The pastry was fresh and appetizing and the beverage area was clean and well stocked. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was busy as many family groups. The road noise from Lombard street made it hard to sleep. I would have opted for a more quieter hotel location.

Used the big bus tour and stop was right in front of hotel.

Rollaway beds needed to be pre-booked at extra cost, even though we had booked 5 people into a room with beds for 4. Staff were at times grumpy - with the duty manager having an argument with staff outside our room door.

the breakfast was excellent. Great proximity to public transport (bus stops right outside the door). Very handy to local attractions such as Pier 39.

The breakfast. Its a rip off. The menu is too thin and overly priced. The reception will nicely talk to you to get the break fast included. Well dont fall for it. The worst part is they dont even have a place for us to sit and eat - we have to take it to our rooms. The bad thing about this for me, a person who hate wasting any bit of food was that I had to limit my choices to the items I was absolutely sure of eating. No second helpings unless you are ready to walk all the way down to reception area again where the food is served.

The best thing about the hotel is its location. There is a Big bus pick up point right in the front of the door. The coast area is walking distance. The pricing was fair.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Cleanliness of the bathroom. There were long black hairs in the sink and bathtub. We both have short grey hair so it was not ours.

The bed was super comfortable and the location is great.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Everything was fine but I would suggest having an extra mirror in the room other than the bathroom. We did only have a king size room so I understand why there my not be a need but when there is more then 1 person trying to get ready at the same time it would be helpful. Maybe a long mirror would be nice.

They were helpful with extending my parking a couple more hours until we returned from our Alcatraz tour.

That hotel is a bit outdated in terms of carpeting and badly needed restoration or replacement.

It is conveniently located, close to the places of interest that we planned on going to. Parking is also ample and accessible. Staff were friendly and helpful. With free parking, wifi and breakfast, I would say it is priced reasonably.

Desk staff was less than friendly or helpful . . . not rude, but not at all outgoing/friendly/helpful. Breakfast foods were not replenished throughout breakfast time so you had to get there early if you wanted a variety.

I stayed in two different King bed rooms . . . the second room was much more spacious and comfortable. The cleaning staff that attended to my room each day was great.

LED Lighting in foyer and bathroom harsh and creepy. Slowest elevator, weird check in. The place gave me the creeps.

Accepable room, seemed a bit old. No deadbolt, difficult parking, had to schlep luggage through packed lot and doors, slow elevator, to a dingey hallway and 3rd floor, after asking for a street level room. Couldn't cancel reservation, after seeing that I could not be accommodated as requested online for parking and floor level.

There were dogs staying at the hotel and and it smelt smokey. Hotel was very old, didn't have a fridge and seemed to be a very long walk/taxi to any attractions.

Brekky was great.

We got there 15 minutes before checking in time, and we were asked to wait till checking in time which was normal. We had been waiting in the lobby in front of their stuff for 40 minutes and they started to check in others who got there after us. We were there earlier than others but we got checked in the latest.

The property was in great location. The room was clean and spacious. Free parking was good. The complimentary breakfast was ok. Overall it was preety good and worth the money. The lady in the front desk was smiley and helpful. They also let me use the parking before checking in which wa really nice.

First room was very scruffy, smoke alarm broken, lamp not plugged in because only available socket was broken, bathroom quite worn. Breakfast area very cramped. Staff scruffy , and used guest area for their lunch room.

Close to main attractions, esp BigBus tour which stopped right outside the front door. Breakfast plentiful and fresh.

Everything was good don’t have anything to complain about.

Pillows where very comfortable, room was clean and so was the shower. Also that the room was roomie, and didn’t feel crowded.

Dated appearance.

Very convenient location. This is an older property that has had mild renovations. While not elegant, it is convenient, clean, and affordable for the location and the staff was very friendly.

There were no towels in the room and when we called for some they made us come get them, they could have brought the towels up since we were tired from traveling, and they were missing. It is a basic item that should be provided. The lamp, ice machine and other items were broken, made it a little inconvenient. The parking stalls were very small and there was no where for us to park, although when reported the staff took care of that.

The beds were comfortable and the room was clean.

The hotel staff was very friendly and the rooms were nice and clean. We didn't explore much of the area around the hotel because we had an agenda to stick to but for the price it was a nice stay and I would come back again.

The lovely smiley man on reception was sooooo positive. Complimentary breakfast was great, and you could take it to the top floor area, where there was a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Given the option of a quieter room, but overlooking the street was good for us.

Needs an uplift re room furnishings. Safe in room needed. Better area for breakfast, very cramped.

Very old style carpet colours depressing however very tired in some respects however the room was clean and cleaned to a good standard each day. The shower was hot, the provided amenities were replenished each day and the bed was very comfortable. The Continental breakfast was satisfactory but the location it was served was very cramped when more than 6 people were partaking at the same time.

Facilities need update, bathroom smelled moldy, loud ice machine in corridor

Decent room, more breakfast choices than usual, in house free parking, relatively close to all mayor sightseeing locations, very friendly staff.

Our room was at the front - noisy main road that starts up at about 4am.

Very comfortable bed, maid service every day, good breakfast (cereals, pastries, yoghurt, fresh fruit). Location - the Big Bus Tour literally stops outside. Within 20 mins walking distance of the sea front. Within in 15 mins walking to a street with lots of restaurants and bars.

Air conditioning unit was dated and key card for room was very temperamental.

Great location, area felt safe. Room clean and beds comfortable. Breakfast good, kids especially loved the pastries. Good value for money, would choose to stay there again.

Breakfast consists of pastries, coffee in paper cups and juice and is “served” in the reception area which has seating for perhaps 4 or 5 people. If you arrive early to choose your pastries you have a reasonable choice but after that and the choices are slim. Parking is limited and space is tight but again, get in early and you’re ok. Find a spot and leave the car there until you checkout.

Good location on Lombard Street about 25 minutes walk to Fisherman’s Wharf. The Big Bus tourist bus stops at the door and local buses run along the street. $10 or $15 cab fare will get you to most places. The view from the rooftop is good.

The room had a bit of a stale smell but was clean and if you just keep the window open it gets fresher.

Amazing location. Walking distance to most of the must see places.

Position as map a little deceiving and is about 10 blocks - uphill to Fishermans Wharf and restaurants. So a little out of the way. Area was clean and seemed okay to walk in without being bothered.

It was very good and easy to access with parking if you had a car. Some tours came and picked up and the big red bus tour stopped right outside. Not too far for a cab ride to Fishermans Wharf but a bit of a long walk. Staff friendly and obliging. Fairly quiet for sleeping

Value for the money

Property location is very good. It is about 1-2 miles from major attractions such as Fishermans Wharf, Lombard Gardens, Marina districts, Chinatown, Piers.

Very noisy room facing road, was warned about it by staff. Extremely noisy ice machine outside room door, was NOT told about this. Dining area for breakfast Far to small, despite these minor problems I would stay here again.

Location was good, friendly staff.

Access to parking area pretty bad as it is under the building and very, very tight. Very difficult to get in and out, but not a huge issue for me as I walked everywhere and took mass transit, left car in the garage the entire time. Breakfast was very limited, also the space for the breakfast area ridiculously small, therefore always overly crowded

Location was excellent, 15 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf and streetcar to Embarcadero, downtown and BART station. Several good delis close by for sandwiches, also sit-down restaurants.

No fridge.

Location was good for walking and bus tours. Nice roof top terrace and garden. Free parking. Pleasant breakfast if you like sweet pastries. Think this hotel has been decorated since our last stay.

The property is very old and the standard rooms arevery small.

We were moved to the suite, after viewing the 'family room'. It would have been impossible for our family (2 adults and 3 children) to stay in the family room, as it was extremely small. Thankfully, a suite was available for us to move to.

Tea and coffee facilities. No milk for tea. Maybe a jug would have been good to have in the room.

The breakfast was great, location perfect. All over very happy

The hotel is getting old and you can see it in the rooms. The rooms look used and a kind of cheap but the rates are still high.

Location of the hotel and free parking.

bit cramped for breakfast...but made you talk to other guests!

Jay at desk helpful & friendly, the breakfast muffins were good and the beds were comfortable.

When we arrived to the Inn, we got a room without any natural light, there was a wall in front of the window. We were lucky because we could change the room. The second one was ok, but it was little bit noisy. We were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the room ( carpet, doors, windows).

Location was really nice.

Browse Buena Vista Motor Inn traveller photo gallery