Reviews of The Boxer 4 stars

107 Merrimac Street, West End, Boston, MA 02114, USA

#30 of 81 hotels in Boston

• Traditional Room

The room was very small.The bed was pushed up against the wall which meant either my husband or myself had to climb across from the other side or up from the bottom to get into or out of bed. On arrival at the hotel we asked for another room and were told the hotel was full so we remained in room 903 for the duration of our stay.

The property was within easy walking distance of places of interest in Boston.

• Traditional Room

The refrigerator was placed next to the bed and I could hear it work and rumble throughout the night. Not really a deal breaker but maybe something to consider.

The room was small but very nicely arranged, the bathroom was spacious and clean. All great.

• Traditional Room

Valet couldn’t park my truck in the garage because it was too big. Had to park in another garage and pay $48.00

The bed and pillows were the most comfortable I have ever slept in

• Executive King Room with Sofa Bed

The fact there was no real breakfast available, just a restaurant next to the lobby. Having Bkfast at the hotel would really further improve this great hotel. Just proactive feedback

Great location, in the heart of Boston. Had a Junior Suite room which was great, amazing bed and clean bathroom with L'Occitane amenities. Friendly staff at the reception

We literally liked everything. No disappointments from the location to staff and all the way through dinner and cocktails.

Staff was amazing, food and cocktails were over the top, and rooms cozy!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was a bit small, but I don't stay in the room much so that is not a big consideration for me.

The hotel and room were charming and warm. It is within easy walking distance of Whole Foods, great restaurants and attractions. The bathroom was particularly nice - updated and spacious.

Breakfast at this hotel was not the best, they were out of a few items and the price was extremely high

All was great but the breakfast at this hotel was not the best, they were out of a few items and the price was extremely high

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room logistics not good- couldn’t even get to hang up some clothes- bed on to of unit. Shower floor needs updating.

Hip small hotel with a very friendly staff. Good food at restaurant in hotel. Good location.

High parking cost!! It is always a bad surprise when you book an hotel. It would be better to inform the clients on before hand.

Charming boutique Hotel in the heart of Boston!

Timing seemed to be off. Had to wait a very long time for breakfast, longer than people who had come in after us. Had to wait a very long time for the valet to bring our car, seemed to be some kind of communication issue. They were nice about it, and so were we, but it seemed to be a theme, which was a bit of a disappointment.

Nicely appointed room, great location.

The size of our room-it was the smallest room I have ever stayed in! There wasn’t even a closet! The bed frame jutted out and my husband ran into it on more than one occasion-it was sharp and black and not easily visible. The first time, he almost brought down the metal frame which made up the majority of the room! We ordered room service one night and the only place to put the tray was in the bed as there was no table, extremely disappointed in size of room-if you had large luggage, there would be NO WHERE to put your luggage!! Tiny, tiny room.

Location, staff, common area was warm and inviting

Nothing !

The staff make the difference . The front desk team, bar staff , chef (cook - in joke ) made the Boxer feel like a home from home in the Boston Blizzards . Great food, great wine , really welcoming friendly feel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was a little tight, in terms of space and appointed furnishings.

Location, clean, friendly helpful staff. Decent attached dining option with the in-hotel restaurant.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It is rather expensive. No complimentary water (they sell a small bottle 4 USD) or breakfast although that is a standard in hotels of similar price range.

Good location and clean bedroom

• Traditional Room

Wait for valet-longer than 30 minutes Room not very big Shampoo/conditioner-smell was off putting Elevator-really slow-took stairs

Bed was super comfy as were pillows Bathroom was great Proximity to TD Garden/ restaurants Front desk staff people were very nice

• Traditional Room

Guests who attennd sporting events noisy return.

Cool decor that is comfy & practical. Very good food. Cool lounge. Great central location. Super helpful staff.

• Traditional Room

Nothing really. The room was a little small, but it was comfortable and enough for me.

The hotel style is really nice. Design wise is really appealing. L’Occitane ammenities, comfy bed, very nice staff and great location. Very close to the T line that goes straight to the airport. I will be back for sure.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I think the hotel could do more to promote the on site restaurant with newly arrived guests. My husband tried it and thought the food was great but if there'd been a deal or something to catch our attention I'm sure we'd have eaten breakfast there both mornings of our stay. I also think that although the space inside the rooms seems to be well used that there are some practical challenges with storage where existing space could be better used for the ease and comfort of guests.

Very comfortable beds. Not massive but cosy and we all slept well. The linens were clean and fresh and we enjoyed the L'Occitane products in the bathroom. The staff were friendly, kind and helpful.

I loved the quirkiness and style of the hotel. The staff were so friendly and accommodating. The drinks at the bar were top notch and the price for the location was unbeatable. And the bed, the bed was perfect. I slept like a baby.

The elevator had some issues had to walk down stairs from 8 th floor a couple of times however the hotel discounted the bill to compensate etc which was great

Booked King room was very small however we were upgraded to a larger room that was excellent without any up charge was very much appreciated

It was great for a short stay but there is no closet, only a small area to hang a couple things so not good for a longer stay.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. Very convenient and walk-able to Boston Garden, Faneuil Hall area. We used the restaurant for a breakfast & a lunch - reasonably priced , good food.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very small bathroom. Super cramped when sitting. Bedroom was a deluxe double. Barely room to walk around the beds

Very clean and tastefully decorated. The breakfast was very good and not too pricey. Staff was wonderful!

We didn’t like that we had to pay for parking separate... and the view from our room wasn’t anything spectacular.

We liked the modern hotel room itself. We also like all the convenience items available (though we didn’t use them) it was nice to have them there Incase we did.

This is really not a reflection on the hotel but the valet parking does take a long time to retrieve your car. They tell you to allow 30 minutes and you really need to do that.

Friendly staff. Clean rooms.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were there exactly when there’s winter storm coming (Jan 3-4) that’s why we need to go back to NY early before the storm... a very short stay that’s what I didn’t like... but definitely we will choose our stay here again next time...

We went to Boston just to watch the NBA game at TD Garden... The hotel is very near, walking distance to the venue... The room was very nice, they gave us the family room(2 connecting rooms)... clean, comfortable cozy room... well maintained... Staffs were very helpful and accomodating..

• Traditional Room

Our room was not cleaned on the first day until we asked for it to be done. On the second occasion it was done but things like used glasses and mugs weren't removed. One night the fire alarm was activated in an adjacent room. It took over an hour for it to be turned off. When I called down was assured it was in hand, 20 minutes later still going. Went down to the front desk and the man on reception was pretty rude. I understand he was stressed by the situation but this wasn't helpful. This wouldn't have been an issue if the hotel had apologised for the disturbance. The room was compact, only access to bed from one side. Sliding bathroom door needs a bigger handle.

The location is ideal. We debated here or The Verb but certainly this was the best location in the cold of December. The bar was lovely and nice cocktails. My overall impression was good but it was not good enough for what we paid. We had some less positive experiences as set out under what I didn't like section. The hotel is attractive and smartly done, easy to get to from the subway. We walked most places from the hotel.

Coffee wasn't great or the selection of tea. Had a few issues with the room when we got there. Elevator broke on new years eve, but it was working by the time we went out.

Service was fabulous! Very accommodating and clean!

The minibar and the heating were noisy, but it didn't really disrupt our sleep. Breakfast was good, but perhaps the avocado toast was a bit small for the price.

The staff were all friendly and professional. Our room was clean and warm (it was cold out!) and had everything we needed. The drinks and food were very good, especially the Finch burger and the crab bennies at breakfast. Overall, we really liked the feel of the hotel and would definitely stay again, especially if we were going out of North Station again which is just around the corner.

Comfortable, affordable. Great location and the staff is always top notch. We love staying at this hotel, it meets all our needs when we visit Boston.

the Finch restaurant did not appeal to us at all. I loved the boutique style of the hotel, so I understand you take some bad with good.

Location was perfect- we were attending 2 games at the Garden and were within walking distance. Not only that, but we walked all over the neighborhood for food, tourist type things and a 7 eleven was around the corner for water and snacks.

I'm sure there is a certain type of person who could find something to complain about, but I am not one of them. I thought this was an excellent operation.

I was only at the Boxer for one evening (attending an event at the TD Garden), but I was very impressed. I thought the property was immaculate. The bed was one of the more comfortable hotel beds I have experienced and the staff was extremely friendly. It is an excellent hotel and I will be staying there again whenever I go to Boston.

• Traditional Room

We could not get the shower lever to turn. We were afraid to force it so we did not shower.

Excellent redo. Staff was friendly and efficient. Excellent location for us.

• Traditional Room

We had a room next to the elevator, with people being loud waiting for it. The view was not great.

We could use their bicycles to go around town ! Very friendly staff

• Traditional Room

We hated leaving. That was about it!

Loved your staff and how pleasant they were. They did a nice upgrade and provided chocolates and a personal note. Great touches! Bed was super comfortable and we loved the restaurant.

The hotel environment, the staff went above and beyond to make our first trip to Boston better than we expected. Recommendations they made, help with directions, very friendly, didn’t feel like a hotel, felt like staying with friends. Comfortable beds, cozy room, great food.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The Hotel is very comfortable, the staff very friendly and efficient. The restaurant is exquisite. The location of the hotel is very good, close to historical places, tourist places, restaurants and stores. The room is very nice, but it does not have enough furniture to store the luggage.

No heating for couple days (until we complained) No hot water on another day Several items on their breakfast menu were not available for several days in a row

Room was nice.

• Traditional Room

The employees are awesome! I’m from Texas and Boston is a very long way but, nonetheless the employees made me feel at home. They are more than willing to answer any question I had about Boston they were very helpful. I believe my trip would have not gone as lovely as it did if I had not stayed at the wonderful Boxer! Great energy and positive energy. Wonderful place to stay if it’s your first time in Boston. If I ever travel again it will no doubt be at the great and awesome Boxer hotel! Your friend from Texas!

• Traditional Room

The whole 5 day experience at the hotel was superb- the room,staff and location were all perfect- thank you The Boxer second time staying with you and all requirements were met.

The room was very comfortable, great for a couple. We had a wonderful time, it was very conveniently located to the TD Garden, which is where we were attending a concert. It was also very close to the North End and Faneuil hall, which is a great area to visit for food options that are very plentiful.

The price for parking

Walking distance to everything. Clean hotel, friendly and helpful staff. Beds are very comfortable, mini bar was nice, overall great experience.

• Traditional Room

For the price I was charged I thought the parking should have been included. There was only one valet parking attendant was on staff but was not actually there when I arrived. When I booked the room I clearly stated I would be sharing the room with my adult son. My room had one full sized bed.

It was near the concert venue I was attending. The staff was friendly and polite

• Executive King Room with Sofa Bed

The room temperature was really warm despite cranking up the AC. During our checkout the staff member said we should've called the front desk and request to adjust the AC so it wouldn't have move sensors.... didn't know about that perk.

The staff was very courteous and professional. They met our request for a higher floor with a view and got an awesome room in the corner. Thanks for listening... or reading, that is.

Very recommendable - beautiful rooms, absolutely clean, super friendly and helpful staff. Restaurants and bars are in walking distance. Would come back anytime!

There was nothing negative about this experience!

The staff was extremely friendly, from the front desk to the valet (and I didn't even have a car with me).

Saturday night at 3 a.m. some quests were loudly...after party

Small, but good rooms! two flour bed for 3 people was perfect! Staff were very helpfully and frendly! a specially, Mr. Brian and Mss. Karina!!!

Nice big room, great bed/linen etc. Aircon was excellent and the mini bar reasonably priced. We could walk easy enough to the historic sights we had on our lists and then we Ubered to others. I'd stay here again if I got a good deal..

• Traditional Room

The shower head ( silver) was broke and when turned on, It shot water to ceiling. Prices of mini bar were expensive. $4.00 a bottle of water.

The room was bigger than I expected. The bathroom was very clean. Even while located near elevator room was quiet.

The complementary breakfast weren't served on time and the coffee ran out pretty soon. I had experienced two hot water down during my stay when I would like to take a shower and this was unacceptable. The room is small! Even for me as a single traveler, I hurt myself hitting the corner of bed frame several times and there is no decent space for hanging cloth! The wall is thin.

They offered complimentary breakfast when the restaurant downstairs were closed for renovation. Staffs are attentive and the toiletries are good brand. They offer free bikes onsite though I didn't use.

The rooms are very small, they really jammed a king bed in a little room, I kept running into the corners, they should at least put cushions on the bed frame corners. There was literally was about 3 feet between the bed frame floor and the desk/mini bar.

It was in a nice location to walk to restaurants

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Right on top of office buildings. Can't really keep shades open but we spent our time out on the town anyhow so wasn't important.

Excellent experience. Very friendly staff. Upgraded us to room at the tip of the iron. Super clean.

The restaurant was closed for a refurb and as a result we had to eat our breakfast in the lobby on our knees. We had tiny plastic plates and plastic cutlery and a poor food choice . I was not informed by booking.com that this was the case . It was not the service we wanted for 675 dollars for 2 nights!!

The room was good

• Traditional Room

A bit more on the menu please

Small but cute bar/restaurant Eat walk to TD garden as well as North End , but does not feel like it is a busy/loud area!👍

I personally thought parking was expensive ($47 for one night). Ate in the restaurant and the waiter was not very friendly or attentive.

The location was excellent! It was a quick and easy walk to many sites in Boston. The room was spacious and comfortable. The valet on Saturday was extremely helpful giving us directions to several places of interest.

It would have been nice if the room would have had a hair dryer as an amenity.

Room was so clean, decorated very nicely. Hotel was very elegant and unique.

The breakfast was not included in the rate and there was no pool/spa facilities. Other than that the hotel was perfect.

I really liked this hotel and the staff. The hotel is centrally located, nice, modern and clean. It is not cheap but it's worth the money. I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Boston!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

A little lower on the price.

Location excellent. Staff very friendly. Room beautifully appointed. Parking easy. Parking fee a bit high and disappointed that rates were jacked up for graduation week, which is why we were there.

The area is a little soulless and rather functional. We also did not like the poor staffing of the breakfast area which was at times empty of personnel

We liked the building itself, a smart conversion of an old Flat Iron. The rooms are very comfortable and smartly designed with some nice touches of technology.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Traditional Room

low water pressure and clogging toilet. That really was it.

The location is amazing and the rooms are reasonably sized if you are the type that spends your time out and not in your room (which even then, was comfortable when we lounged around). The only major issue is that it is an older building and it seemed that some updates were purely cosmetic rather than functional and so there were some plumbing and lighting issues in the room that were annoying but not game breaking. I think they will fix things as they come and the head staff seemed keen to work with us to get things taken care of.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

The location felt threatening at night, I didn't like leaving alone on foot to dine. Room also rather smaller than shown on booking.com.

Trendy hip style.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

The breakfast buffet wasn't our favorite. There was only 1 server in the morning and the food wasn't up to par. But the hotel overall was great for our stay.

The location of The Boxer was perfect for our stay in Boston!! Close to food, shopping and sightseeing!

The room was perfect, loved the robe and toiletries. The fact I could regulate the temperature without needing a manual to work the thermostat was ah-maze-ing!!

• Traditional Room

Location was the key. We went to a Celtics game and we were near most of the historic attractions of Boston. We had a very nice room and the service was great.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

At the corner and not easy to find from the metro station.

The location is very good. Close to TD Garden and easy for Celtics/Bruins Fans. Go Celtics!!!

Entryway was not as inviting as we had hoped..needs updating. First impression was poor.

Staff very helpful and location was ideal for all the walking we wanted to do. Also near the T station.

For over $300 the room could be bigger.... I had a bruise on my shin from hitting the corner of the bed to get to the other side.

It was easy to get to and the location was excellent.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

This is a beautiful property, very convenient to downtown attractions, and the staff was very friendly. They even have bicycles for tourists to use during the day.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Parking was pricey, breakfast buffet was pricey and cold, middle of the night the heat apparently shut off it was very cold, when we arrived our reservation was either not ready or not sure what their system issue was so they "upgraded" us to a junior suite which was supposedly bigger but I'd be afraid to see our original booking if that was a better room. They have to refund and recharge my account waiting to see how that plays out. However, that being said the assistant general manager was visibly frazzled by the ordeal and was tirelessly trying to figure it out, he was very friendly and left me his business card to stay in contact after our stay to ensure the matter of billing was resolved properly.

The style of the hotel, friendliness of the front staff. Proximity was within walking, a street over, from TD garden which is why we stayed there. Go Celtics!

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Walking distance to North End, TD Garden, T station, and the historical sights downtown. Room was beautiful (if smaller, but that's to be expected in an older building; didn't detract from our experience at all), bed was comfortable, towels were plush, and every staff member we met was helpful, pleasant, and accommodating. Highly recommend. If you like the idea of a smaller, well-appointed boutique hotel with style and flair, this is the one.

apples at the fitness center were quite old and spoiled

Location was excellent, romos were confortable and the bed fantastic, sport center was Little but good. People were extrmely friendly and charming, I will for suere return and recommend it

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

They charged us for thing we didn't us and the charged us more that it was . They told me the night was 140 and they charged me 201 when I called they said it was the taxes

The room was very nice and clean

The walls were very thin. We could honestly have transcribed the neighbors conversations. The restaurant was mediocre at best.

The decor was nice. Bed was extra comfy.

Down tops for the beds would be nice. I requested via email (that was sent to me asking for any special instructions) for a basket of snacks and sodas to be in our room for our late arrival and two beds as I was traveling with my son. On arrival at 945pm, front desk told me I could get two beds for an upgrade fee...... Also they had not received my request for snacks because no one checked they emails that day. The waitress in the Finch quickly took over, took our order from the restaurant and delivered it to our room. Clearly she had more experience with customer service than the front desk did.

room was VERY clean. Location was excellent. Quaint boutique hotel who's rooms are quite small (no closet) but clean and updated. Great view of the city.

Parking situation had a major hiccup, they lost our vehicle then made us wait 2 hours before locating our car. During this time, they kept promising our car was next, even when it became apparent that they did not know where our car was located. Although parking was reimbursed, we did not hear back from any management even after it was promised they would be in contact. This was very frustrating, considering I tried contacting them through several emails.

Great location, comfortable room.

Bigger gym area - extremely tight. Rooms could use a touch up, nice look but showing their age.

Comfy bathrobe, good products in bathroom, comfortable bed.