Reviews of Best Western Gold Country Inn 2 stars

972 Sutton Way, Grass Valley, CA 95945, USA

#4 of 8 hotels in Grass Valley

Juxtapose from above. I did like the cleaning staff, especially Donna. She was awesome and should be given a raise.

The bathroom was so tiny and was not maneuverable. The room did not have a sitting type chair but had a desk chair. Please offer both. I am also a best western club member and booking did not recognize my points or pass them over to best western. I also did not get the best rate.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

We were able to hear every creak and every bit of noise from the second floor room above us. Upgraded insulation or a noise reduction package used by facilities near airports might be recommended.

The bathroom was large and compliant with ADA regulations.

Pillows were not what I'm used to. They weren't horrible though.

The staff, starting with the young lady at the front desk was warm and welcoming. I have stayed at alot of hotels and these were the most friendliest and helpful in have ever seen. The breakfast was incredible and the breakfast area spotless clean.

Hard beds, in a motel that needs some updating. and some clean carpets. Walls are Paper thin so you can hear all your neighbors. "Way over priced for an older motel"

The area is nice.

The person cleaning the room left behind a cigarette smell, presumably because she'd been smoking before! There's a sign asking you to hang your towels if you don't want them washed, but they take them anyway.

Beds were extremely comfortable. Staff people were more than helpful. Breakfast was generous and fairly good/fresh

Not the hotel's fault but the adjacent guests were noisy and rude and disrupted my sleep. They parked just outside my door and had their radio on and were smoking in the car with the windows open. I also had to call the front desk for a stranger parked on the premises. The toilet stopped up and in the morning the handle almost fell off.

Convenient to everything. Staff was very helpful and responded to concerns/repairs promptly.

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

Well, I expected to have shampoo and other toiletries for at least one or two, but that wasn't the case

Breakfast is terrific. One of the people in my group is a vegan and she was able to enjoy the oatmeal and wonderful fresh berries! The two rooms allowed for privacy

heater/airconditioner window unit very noisy going off and on during the night. Hard to even head TV when it we going. Very slow flushing toilet -= sometimes took 2 or 3 flushes to complete.

Comfortable bed, great massaging shower head, ample and delicious breakfast selections. Great location near many stores and restaurants.

• King Room-Disabilty Access/Non-Smoking

Hard to log onto WiFi. Could have used an extra blanket so instead we turned on the heater.

Had all the basics of what you need. Excellent continental breakfast.

The staff at the front desk was rude and watching TV, we did not receive housekeeping services though left the room by 10 am, when I called that evening to report this, he replied "oh." I then asked if we could please have some clean towels he said "yeah" and hung up. A few minutes later he knocked on the door and delivered 3 bath mats. I think he could use some job coaching.

The bed was super comfortable and the room was clean but needs upgrades.

Unfortunately, it is very close to the freeway, but we were able to be accomodated in a location furthest away and the noise did not bother us.

Breakfast was excellent. Especially like the gluten free/dairy free muffins and Greek Yogurt. Also enjoyed the table and 2 chairs on the balcony as it was a beautiful late October evening.

Wish the pool was heated.

The breakfast (on most days) was excellent. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. There were plenty of outlets to plug in my devices. I especially enjoyed the spa. Could have stayed in for hours, but knew better than that. The pool area was very clean and small towels were provided. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

I liked everything. Wish i could stay longer.

Easy check-in, friendly staff, beautiful, clean, comfortable rooms, awesome continental breakfast. Very happy customer.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

First of all it is almost ON the freeway. Our second night we got moved to the back of the building, and we still felt like we were in a six wheeler on the freeway. the rooms smelled of cigarette deodorant. The windows were so filthy we could barely see out (to the view of the freeway)

Only the fact it was in Grass Valley.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We were in room 140 which I understand was smoke free. However the room smelled like someone had broke the rules and smoked in the room. There was a cigarette burn on the bath tub next to the toilet. There must be something that could be sprayed to remove the lingering smell of smoke. People seemed to always break the rules and make it bad for others.

Didn't try the eggs but they looked good. The TV remote was a new plastic kind that was germ free.

Could hear some noise from highway; but not really disruptive.

Breakfast was fabulous, food, coffee, everything great. Good refrig with small freezer, good a/c as it was really warm outside.

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

A little pricey for its small upgrades.

The double room was big and comfortable. A few renovations done to update. Breakfast was good and filling. They also provided pool towels.

Parking lot gets overcrowded when facility is fully booked. They need about ten more parking places.

Nice, clean facility in convenient location. good restaurants nearby

Carpeting in room very dirty. Towels were almost ready for trash except for final day's stay. Construction going on right next door.

Ease of access from highway

Room 135: There was dried food smeared on the inside of the entry door. I asked twice to have it removed. No one cleaned it. The carpet throughout the room was filthy. There is no other word to describe it. It appeared to have had decades of food stains on it. I needed shower shoes to walk around on the carpet. The obligate (it goes on automatically with the light) fan in the bath is so old it sounds like a tractor is going through the room. The steps leading up to the room were cracked and appeared dangerous.

It was quiet when the A/C was off. Outside temperature was 95 degrees.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds- Smoking

Having an upstairs room when we requested a ground floor room at booking!!!! Not good!!!!

The Staff was very friendly and the Gentleman who was in charge of the Breakfast every morning did a fantastic job!!! Hold on to this employee, he worked very hard on keeping it flowing and very well stocked and it clearly shows that he really cares about his function!!! One of the very BEST Breakfast services that we have ever had in a time of all Hotels offering a "Free Breakfast"!! Wonderful, tasty and very clean!!!! We will be back!!!!

When family called to leave a message, they said that we were not registered there. Cell phone service was not reliable. We talked to a staff member who checked and reported that our name was not entered correctly.

We enjoy the staff , the breakfast and in this case we were 10 minutes from a wedding reception.

Not aware that workers were building next door and started at 7 am. No table in room to eat or sit at. Could have provided 2 suitcase racks to hold luggage.

Location, Convenience of breakfast. Attentive staff.

The parking was a little tight but I found that throughout Grass Valley. There was some remodeling construction next door that was a bit bothersome but their work day ended at a reasonable time.

Timeless feeling of the Best Western "glory days ". The room was modernized yet classic and comfortable. Very charming and equipped with everything you need for a short or extended stay.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Weren't able to stay longer. :-(

Service was fantastic, especially the p.m. reception man. Breakfast was very good; kept well stocked, even though very busy.

The use of small square pillows was not comfortable. I prefer commonly used rectangular pillows The faucet in the bathroom was old and very difficult to turn on.

The beds were comfortable.

Our room was 149 and we thought it was lower level and asked for lower level had to walk to tall flights of stair we are 70 and 65. Very hard for us to do with our luggage.

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

Unwelcomed Feeling from One negative employee there. The Housekeeping Supervisor. The older lady with the bad attitude and no smile. Description of experience written in box above.

Desk Clerks were awesome.Most of the Housekeeping CREW were Awesome!Very Polite,friendly,Professional. Made me feel at home. Only ONE person stood out NEGATIVELY, EVERYTIME I seen her or was in her presence and that was the Older lady in Housekeeping, Supervisor I believe.Question: Who gives dirty looks to paying customers? She made me feel aweful.I understand time restraints and dealing with the public first hand, I worked 32 yrs for Kaiser Hospital,I NEVER made the guest/patients feel "Unwelcomed" or "Intrusive",like this particular employee did in Grass Valley. At least try a "Good Morning" or even a Half Smile or a Nod with the head.During my 2 weeks in town,felt pressed to change my environment a few times there.I actually tried a different location. Returned back,and felt welcomed by staff at Front Desk.I just enjoyed my time there and avoided that one Unhappy Employee.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I'm not one to complain, but the TV reception was terrible. But as far as I am concerned everything else was fine.

Since Nov of 2016, my husband and I have stayed at your facility for the location and the rates. We had been looking for a home so we could relocate to grass valley. The staff especially Jessica made our stay that much more pleasant. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Lawns need to be mowed.....that's it. Liz

Very clean room, great breakfast, very helpful staff (giving directions to where we wanted to go) helpful with the computer. I really like the business center. Work out room really nice! We liked how pet friendly you are. Liz Johnson

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

A large building under construction next door. Our room was directly across from it. Should have received a discount on room rate--very loud starting B4 7am. Also, no one cleaned our room despite the fact we were gone from 10:30a - 8:30p. Note on our door from staff saying we were in the room too long to have it cleaned! Next time, will probably give another hotel a try

Very nice staff, good access to highway

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The one bad attitude of the older lady in charge of the housekeeping.

The no hassle attitude of the great staff. Only one grouchy person,the Supervisor for the maids. Never smiled for 2 weeks.She just was having a bad day all month.lol otherwise, great staff!

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds- Smoking

The complimentary shampoo and other products were only enough for one person

The breakfast was perfect. We were able to share the room among three women going to the same music event, so the cost was low

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

The Frozen cars in the morning, everything else was great.

The breakfasts had a good variety and was cooked very well,In fact my wife wanted to take her hat off to the Cook. All the employees of the Motel were very polite, kind, and helpful. Everything was always clean and neat.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

We liked EVERYTHING. Quiet, comfortable; friendly service__the men outshined the women! Thank you!

Our room! just what we asked for, nice location, very comfortable room . Evening front desk clerk very friendly! AWESOME chocolate cookies!!! Full breakfast, nice selection of food items. :) Close to Nevada City.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

The power outtage... Dirty carpet in room (needed to be steam-cleaned).

Troy (I think that was his name) was very kind & helpful by offering us a room discount due to a non-functioning Jacuzzi -- our main reason for choosing this hotel. He had to deal with a power outtage that lasted many hours, and he kept his cool & a smile on his face throughout the rush of people finally being able to check in when the power was restored. Good job, lad!

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

1) Centrally located for my trip 2) Front desk customer support absolutely outstanding 3) Room accommodation a bit dated yet quite satisfactory and comfortable

Would have given a better rating if it wasn't for this one incident & I know people make mistakes, accidents happen, etc... We left early one morning to spend the day site seeing. After being gone about 8.5 hours, we pulled up to find our door opened about a foot & a half. At first, we thought maybe the cleaning crew was in there, but there was no cart around and there service area was next door to us- no sign of anyone. We cautiously walked in. Fortunately, everything was there! We called the office to report the incident, but since nothing seemed to be missing, there wasn't much concern. Our room was cleaned. So, we assumed the cleaning crew somehow forgot to close the door... We also assume that it was open several hours and that it's amazing everything was still in the room!

All about expectations. We were pleasantly surprised. The location provided easy access to the main road, which was helpful for us since we were in and out a lot. Knew there'd be breakfast, but didn't expect options or that there would be different items each day! The staff member who kept the breakfast fresh, cooking away in the kitchen was always friendly!

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Bathroom was dated and old looking, I had a 1970's brown toilet.

That I could bring my dog, and had a room with a slider for her to go outside on the lawn.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• King Room-Disabilty Access/Non-Smoking

We had 6 rooms and no 2 rates were the same. I couldn't get through on phone and had to book thru booking .com and was charged 25 more dollars for my 1 bed room then my sister who had 2 beds and was able to call directly to hotel.i was the 1st of my family to book weeks before and paid the highest.

Breakfast facility great.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

The breakfast wasn't great. The rooms next to us were really noisy, walls like paper. When we checked in the boy had kind of an annoyed attitude, that wasn't appreciated. It was a little expensive for the quality, even though we reserved the room late.

It was conveniently located next to the highway.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Queen Room - Smoking

A fairly minor thing: the coffee supplies come with only two coffee packets, preparing one cup each. I would have liked a third cup. So, if you are traveling with a second person and/or would like more coffee in the morning, ask the fine lady at the front desk for more before bedding down for the night.

The hotel is in a good neighborhood, and there are restaurants and a nice juice bar across the street, within easy walking distance The hotel has easy on and off access to the highway. As I always expect from Best Western, everything in the unit worked. The unit had in-room coffee, a good reading lamp, comfortable bed and pillows, a good television, and was very clean when I checked in.. The unit completely sealed-off the noise of the close highway. The hotel has an ice machine, sodas, and snack machines. The fine young lady at the front desk was efficient, helpful, professional, personable, and always greeted me with a smile and up-beat positive attitude. I would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The dirt on my car from the tractor next door. Not your fault and dirt blew off. Progress!

Loved the little breakfast burritos and breakfast spread is wonderful! I always stay here when I come to GV. Centrally located for where I need to go. Staff accommodated my request for an extra 30 minutes to check out. My daughter was having her heart monitored and had to have it on till 11:09 exactly and then I needed to unhook all the wires so I needed about an extra 30 minutes and no problem! Thank you!

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Tiny window, very little light, room felt like a cave. On line, the motel shows all the rooms with sliding doors and/or large windows so feel like I was taken to cleaners, given that my room rate was $159.00 a night. There was a note at front desk telling the staff that if customer feedback was negative, "to delete the email." Seriously? Value just wasn't there.

Full breakfast included.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• King Room-Disabilty Access/Non-Smoking

I felt the price was too high, but they knew they could get it on a holiday weekend. The breakfast was so so but the girl who was in charge of keeping the area clean and making sure there was food was as hard working as they come. I was very impressed by her.

The beds were very comfortable and the location was great for us.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

Friday at 9:30 pm the room was not cleaned. Tried to get help but no one was available. No answer at front desk after several attempts to call on phone. No one was at front office when I walked there. When I went back to my room I again called front desk. Again no one answered. Saturday late afternoon I called to check if my room had been cleaned. I was informed that it was probably done. I asked what were my options if the room was not cleaned I was told since housekeeping left at 3:00 nothing could be done. I was told I could come to office for clean towels. When I arrived Saturday at 10 the room was cleaned. I was given a 20% discount for the day my room was not cleaned. That was positive

Nice variety of foods for breakfast

Hi

soggy mattress

All clean

Nice place to stay

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The parking is very limited, couldn’t park even near my room 😒 Someone had dog allowed it to crap where people walk

Convenient, downstairs room

• Queen Suite - Non-Smoking

Had to ask twice to have our room cleaned.

The layout of our room was perfect. Breakfast was well stocked with many choices.

It was not real clean.

• King Room - Smoking

Towels were small and scratchy.

Super friendly staff. Nice room. Bed was very comfortable. Great complimentary breakfast.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

noisy neighbors up stairs. I only had 2 hrs sleep!

Rooms are showing their age a bit.

Room, though older, was kept clean.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Great location and very quite

highway noise!

comfortable, convenient to the wedding we were going to. Pool and hot tub were great.

Repaint areas in room

Breakfast was good.

• King Room - Smoking

breakfast was always fresh, hot and multiple choices.. delish!

Proximity to historical sites

• King Room-Disabilty Access/Non-Smoking

yes, but may stay again in December

Buffet could be better, breakfast crowded room, food mediocre. But attendant man was fine.

Good reunion facility. W

Clean room, kind people, helpful, clean comfy

construction going on next door which was no fault of hotel

great location for my visit

as we are late risers, it would be nice to extend the hours of breakfast

the facility was clean, excellent location, nice staff.

Pillows a bit hard.

Bed was very comfortable. Only slept there one night. Didn't try breakfast.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Nowhre near enough sound proofing between the rooms. Noise from children in next room was horrendous.

Bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Facilities were old - well kept for there age

The location Nearness to restaurants

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• King Room-Disabilty Access/Non-Smoking

Outside noise late at night was too loud

Everything was filthy. The carpet, curtains, bathroom overall was dirty and smelled.

construction site next door started at 6.30 am very loud wondered why we were not put on other side of motel ask clerk did not get an answer

Good breakfast, comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Noisy pick up trucks waking us at 6am.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

The room smelled like chemical cleaners. Very strong odors. Unpleasant.