Reviews of Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites 3 stars

405 South 8th Street, Downtown Minneapolis, Minneapolis, MN 55404, USA

#17 of 45 hotels in Minneapolis

Beds and bedding.
    • King Room - Non Smoking

I was billed twice for one night. Man checked us in didn't know what he was doing! Nice and clean hotel but for price which had only a cup of coffee in morning, cost way too high!

Beds and bedding.

everything about our stay was perfect.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

everything about our stay was perfect. friendly staff, Poncho at the front desk and John our bartender were awesome! Efficient and fun to talk to. Bed was very comfy, pool was beautiful as well as the décor. We will definitely stay again! For sure!

Excellent option for business travel, very friendly staff,...
    • King Room - Non Smoking

I recommend to take your computer with you if you are going to need it, computers at hotel are very limited in terms of speed and software (no basic office, just an internet navigator for basic-very basic-needs); and the software systematically kicks you out every certain minutes (maybe 10-15).

Excellent option for business travel, very friendly staff, good restaurant for breakfast, I loved the cookies and milk free at 10 pm!

Great rooms and food, outdated lobby/common areas.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

When you enter the hotel lobby it smells old and the décor is a little outdated. This made me worried about the actual guest rooms but I was very pleasantly surprised.

The guest rooms were clean and smelled fresh! They had a very extensive room service menu with delicious options for snacks, meals and dessert. Also, they have a pitcher in your room with an RO water system on each floor near the ice machine. Super convenient!

The interior look is really nice and cozy.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

I found the beds a bit too soft for my liking. There are also no disposable toothbrush/paste, which for the first time I needed. Thankfully, the front desk people were nice and gave me one. One other minor thing was that I kept having to logon to the WiFi.

The interior look is really nice and cozy. I did not use the restaurant, but looked quite appealing. The rooms were very quiet and comfortable and blinds worked perfectly well.

Room was always made up with fresh towels and coffee...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

There was one evening where we felt the clerk up front didn't seemed helpful, but the rest of the staff were very cordial and professional.

Room was always made up with fresh towels and coffee refilled in lobby when asked.

Very clean, nice location close to a Target, liquor store,...
    • King Room - Non Smoking

The elevator in our wing was broken for 2 days. We were on the 4th floor. The front desk personnel only gave us a 1 night parking pass for our 2 day stay so we were stuck in the parkade in our way out.

Very clean, nice location close to a Target, liquor store, many lounges and walking distance to Target field

We'll use this facility whenever we are in the twin cities.

We liked everything.

The beds/pillows were the best, slept like a baby. Staff (Daniel) was more than accommodating. My daughter forgot to bring her toothbrush and instead of making us go to front desk, staff brought toothbrush immediately to our room without hesitation. Hotel was extremely clean and had a very safe feel. Will be using Best Western Plus the Normandy whenever we travel to the twin cities!

Great place except for the noise!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

It was noisy. I could hear everything going on in the hallway, including doors slamming shut and there was a lot of activity. There was a door between rooms that meant I could hear everything going on next door, too.

Very clean; friendly and helpful staff; good location.

Clean rooms, friendly helpful staff.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non Smoking

Building dated, but rooms remodeled and clean. Some ground floor rooms look out at parking lot which can introduce a little noise and lights. Second floor is a better choice.

Clean rooms, friendly helpful staff. Good location, central to downtown Minneapolis. Overall great value.

This hotel is incredible.
    • King Room - Non Smoking

This hotel is incredible. Partnership with the French bistro makes it even better. Most impressed by attention to detail at every level of experience. From check in, to cleaning, to accommodations, amenities, service, food, they exceeded my expectations.

Excellent down town hotel for a sports weekend.

All good.

Good cheap parking for downtown. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was large and spacious with a monster of a bed. Walking distance to all downtown areas.

I was driving across the country and stopped here for the...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

I was driving across the country and stopped here for the night, the front desk agent was so very kind in helping me find a good place to get delivery and set me up with a room that was more than I expected. They also have a massive parking lot that is complimentary with your stay. In a very safe area as well! Thank you so much! Defiantly recommend.

Don't have your breakfast here!
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

The location is ok, but you need to walk 10+ mins to reach the part of downtown where the action is, namely between Nicollet and Hennepin. The room, although at the 3rd floor, was exceptionally dark, maybe because it was Courtside instead of streetside. By far the worst thing however is the breakfast. No buffet (like everywhere in Minneapolis unfortunately), very expensive, with exceptionally slow service by disgraceful waiters, and the inability to even prepare a toast... And when you complain with the manager, she was not even able to apologize. Awful!

The hotel is not the conventional multi-story structure, it has therefore some character.

Excellent value and great location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non Smoking

Public areas smelled a bit old...unavoidable I guess...

Loved the filtered water and whirlpool/sauna. Also appreciated close proximity to light rail!

Amazing staff
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

Only bad thing no breakfast except onsite restaurant that was overpriced

Excellent hotel staff was amazing upgrades our room because ours wasn't ready. Just a great stay

Excellent place to stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non Smoking

This was out first time staying with you!! It is a very intimate feeling and decorated beautifully!!. The food in the restaurant was FABULOUS, and our waiter Mason was EXTREMELY helpful explaining different French cuisine to us!!. We will stay with you again, Thank You!!

Overall I would absolutely stay again. Despite a few hang ups.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

Breakfast was expensive. I was understanding that it was a bit of a high end restaurant at the hotel however it would have been nice to have say a 20% discount card or something for breakfast being a hotel guest. There was a fridge in the rooms but no microwave.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Facilities we well decorated. Pool was good. Rooms were large. Clean and comfortable. Pretty good view from our room.

• Large King Room with Sofa Bed - Non smoking

Cold showers. Booked for room and meal expense/breakfast which they told me was a mistake and wouldn’t honor it. Restaurant was ridiculously priced.

Clean

Great atmosphere, sauna and hot tub were very nice.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

Room service breakfast wasn't amazing but good. Hot tub pool sauna we're not open late.

Great atmosphere, sauna and hot tub were very nice. Shower and beds were amazing.

Overall great experience.

Pool closes too early.

Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. We were with a large group and were very grateful to be allowed to hang out together in the lobby. I know we were loud, but it made the stay even more fun!

4.0
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

We reserved a jr suite with a pull out sofa for our young kids. The pull out sofa was a single, we ended up having to pay $30 for a rollaway. The room had an awkward layout and smelled like cigarettes. We had an early morning flight and they don’t put out coffee until 7am.

Very nice, comfortable place to stay!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

The only thing I didn't like about the property was the location. It wasn't easy to get to the parking. That was the literally the only thing I didn't like.

Very clean and comfortable room. The beds were amazing!

A great hotel to stay in Minneapolis
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

Breakfast was very poor and rather expensive. Small portions, small variety.

The hotel facilities are great. The rooms are big and clean. The lounges are amazing.

Great suite for the price, great location.
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

The gim was in the basement (I prefer natural light when I exercise). Extra charge for breakfast and parking. We ordered breakfast: coffee seemed to be old. Oatmeal had a bitter taste. The coffee available in the room was perfect. Staff at the front desk not so friendly.

The suite was great. There were 2 TVs so my niece could watch her shows and I could watch mine. The shower in the bathroom was like a 4 hotel shower. The carpets were clean. The hotel is an old building but kept really well. The gim had fairly new equipment, perfect size. Great location. Light train is 4-5 blocks away. Near good breakfast places. Staff in the kitchen super friendly!

Nice place to stay.
    • King Room - Non Smoking

Was a bit cold throughout the motel at times.

Bed was really comfortable. Personnel were all friendly. We liked that the location is close to the Vikings field.

Awesome. My favorite hotel

no idea!

The staff are absolutely awesome! You can tell that they get along with each other, cause they are supernice, and always smile. Besides, they go above and beyond to help you, whatever you ask. Pets allowed for the smallest fee I have found so far (and I travel a lot!), and parking is also cheap, on their big parking lot. Breakfast is a la carte or room service in the restaurant, however, on the morning of Dec 25, the restaurant was closed, and we found a free continental breakfast, with even fresh fruit on the table at the concierge! There is purified water and ice available 24/7, a coffee maker in the room, and plenty of common space, with couches and armchairs, and also a fireplace. A small convenience store is open 24/7, and there is a pool and a gym. Half a block outside the main door there are entrances to the skyways, which is pretty cool when it is so cold! Last, but not least, the Normandy Kitchen has an awesome chef, and it is a little pricey, but absolutely worth it (last night I had a duck made in three different ways...). Absolutely recommend!!

Great location, great staff, great stay!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

One of the guys that came with got lost trying to find our room and ended up going up the wrong elevator so it was kind of confusing trying to find our room for him, but i had no issues.

We went to the Vikings game and the location was perfect!! We had no issues with anything. The staff was very friendly and helpful! we have already decided that the next event we go to we will for sure be staying at this hotel!!

Excellent staff at check in and very clean hotel.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

Very clean. Although a seemingly small amenity, I liked the water pitcher and water station provided as much as any amenity at any hotel I’ve stayed. It’s the little things that make a difference as a business traveler!

Downtown Minneapolis old wood lodge charm and friendly place to come back to after work.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

Nothing really turned me off about this hotel.

The location of Best Western Plus Normandy Inn & Suites is central NE Downtown Minneapolis. The main restaurant and bar have excellent service and quality food and beverages offered at accommodating hours. Open early until late. The staff at the hotel are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about local tips and sites. Rooms are big and comfortable and the hotel decor has a woody lodge cozy feel about it. I would stay here again.

I’d definitely recommend this hotel to others.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

The hallways could have been a bit cleaner. This is nit picking but I noticed.

The room was clean and comfortable. We had a poolside room which was awesome. The pool and hot tub were a nice treat at the end of a long day. Everyone on staff was friendly. Loved the cookies and milk!

Bad bad bad
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

The room was old, dirty and unpleasant There was hair in the bathtub,crud on the bed skirt and toilet paper on the floor. I would not stay here again.

Overall, a decent value for the money and would stay there again.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

The breakfast voucher I pre-paid for was "dine in" only, so I was unable to use it because did not get up in time to shower and go down there before they stopped serving breakfast. As I was alone, had I been up earlier, I still wouldn't have wanted to go sit there by myself. A "to-go" option would have been nice if they didn't want to do room service with the voucher.

The hotel itself was fairly quiet. Room service brought the food quickly so it was still hot and the sandwich was delicious. Daytime staff were friendly and helpful, the one night staff I interacted with- not so much.

Great place; great people.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

Our room connected to the pool and we wanted to use the pool area longer than the posted hours.

Everything was very clean and comforting. The staff was always cheerful and helpful. And the guy that I checked out with at the end of the stay was cute :)

The hotel is great!
    • King Room - Non Smoking

The hotel is great! They do not have breakfast included so you pay each day for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. I think it will be great if there is an alternative pre fix breakfast menu.

Good for older adults, not families
    • Suite with Two Double Beds with Fireplace - Non smoking

Prices quoted on booking.com were MORE than the prices at the location. VERY disappointed!!! The swimming pool was basically outside, you had to walk by glass windows that were on the street side of the building, NO privacy! No free breakfast. Low building; was hoping for a city view.

The room was roomy and very quiet for downtown.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Nice hotel in downtown Minneapolis
    • King Room - Non Smoking

Got charged for parking in the room fee and when leaving the parking lot. When I talked with the front desk staff person, she was less than friendly about it. Cushions in the pool area were quite flat.

Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Pool area was great. Breakfast wait staff was cheerful. Recent decoration upgrades look great.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

I like the appearance and the area of the hotel how close to...
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

I did not like is when I entered the hotel I was not greeted by the male customer service person@ the desk, I had to wait and when I did speak with him, he stated that I could not check in until after 7:00 am and he would have to charge me for an extra day, I noticed the time and it was 6:52 am I did notice when 7:00 o'clock did hit he had left the desk and the other gentleman came on duty he was very pleasant and I was assisted without any problems.

I like the appearance and the area of the hotel how close to public transportation.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Nice quiet room.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non Smoking

I don't like that the cost of the room varied from one day to the next. The room did not change why should the rate.

Nice quiet room. 1st floor but really did not hear traffic noise.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Excellent friendly knowledgeable staff.
    • King Room - Non Smoking

Make sure to put out your do not disturb sign otherwise room service will come barging in room about 8am. They don't give you time to answer the door even

Excellent friendly knowledgeable staff. Very nice clean hotel. Excellent hotel for the price. We were in the city for jerry Seinfeld at Orpheum theater. We took taxi to show and walked back. Very nice.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Excellent food, fair to good accommodations
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

The mattress was uncomfortable, and seemed old. The room was clean, but not spotless. Things were a bit run down - a hodgepodge of old and new furnishings and upgrades. We specifically chose this hotel to enjoy the pool/hot tub/sauna (we live in town, and this was a pre-holiday romantic getaway), but management came and shut everything down over an hour early while we were in the sauna. We didn't have a watch when they came, and we asked if we needed to leave. The staff told us, "I can give you 20 more minutes," as if they were doing us a favor. We were annoyed when we returned to our room and saw we still had an hour, according to their posted pool rules. It was especially obnoxious because we got to the pool later than intended, because the restaurant forgot to place our food order. We sat at our table waiting for our food for at least an hour. I'll note that the restaurant was dead due to a snow storm, and there were only a handful of people in the restaurant. The staff realized what'd happened when they came to ask us how our food was, and we told them we didn't get it. They did apologize profusely, and frankly we were enjoying the atmosphere and wouldn't have given it a second thought had it not been for the pool incident.

The food at the restaurant on site was fantastic - the restaurant manager also made great recommendations. The king suite was spacious, and nicely separated. The decor was interesting and unique. We enjoyed walking around the hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Needs some improvements, but good location
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

Staff was not great. Getting directions from the desk ended up with more confusion than help. They also "forgot" to give us our breakfast vouchers until we asked. Then they tried to limit us to only 2 vouchers (there were 3 in our room). At checkout they also charged us for all the breakfasts even though they were supposed to be included. I had to get them to change it, which seemed to be an impossible task.

Location was good. Room was comfortable and clean,

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Great location in heart of Minneapolis!

Staff was okay. Nothing great, nothing bad. Didn't greet right away, had a personal discussion ongoing. Didn't offer anything extra or ask about our stay.

Cookies and milk in the evening, a great pool/sauna and located in the heart of downtown Minneapolis.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Just lovely!
    • King Room - Non Smoking

A nice hotel located close enough to the city center without being in the middle of the crowds. Lovely room, great breakfast, and good room service too. Do visit their restaurant while you visit!

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Nice location for Viking tourists.
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

Boost the wi-fi signal, reception in our room was intermittent.

Roomy and comfortable suite. Home style, not corporate, decor. Personable staff. Close to the blue line and the stadium.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Very near the Vikings Stadium
    • King Room - Non Smoking

There were not many options for going out to grab a bite to eat. Weekends downtown...everything is closed. Quite surprised this hotel did not offer coffee, for free, to their guests. Most do. Also, the milk and cookie being offered at 10 P.M. Is just tooooo late.

Very close to the Minn. Vikings new dome. The hotel is roomy. Clean. Nice beds and shower.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Excellent place to stay if going to a concert or football game.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

More choices on the supper menu that are more kid friendly, burgers fries etc. Had to pay for parking.

Rooms were comfy, staff were very greeting and helpful,would definitely stay here again. Free shuttle to and from Target center, walking distance to U.S. Bank Stadium.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Quiet gem in downtown
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

I would have loved a continental breakfast and free parking. Nine dollars isn't a lot to pay but I wasn't expecting it.

This older hotel property must have been completely updated. It is truly a gem. The staff was super helpful, the parking was easy in and easy out. The hallways were brightly lit and I felt safe. Rooms were amazingly clean, spacious and quiet. The wifi was stable, fast and free! They also offered a free shuttle to the convention center!

Great stay for ryder cup and Monday night football
    • One-Bedroom King Suite

the closed that bar at 10.30pm on Monday night football night. which was a shame and I Feel you missed out on sales

Reception and bar team, Where great. Room was fantastic for what we needed and hotel was perfectly situated.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Ryder cup guest
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

Front desk staff member Kendra very unpleasant and unhelpful. No information available regarding the Ryder cup even though there was a lot guests attending the golf. I felt they at least they should have had some background information available to guests.

The shuttle bus was a plus. Breakfast very basic .

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Trouble With The Bar
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

After the Twins game we entered the bar hoping to have a few drinks. The door was open and the bar stools at the bar were all occupied so we sat at a table. A guy came over and told us the bar was closed. It was only around 11:00pm. We had to leave and walk 3 blocks to go to a bar. First of all it's pretty hard to be told the bar is closed when the bar stools are full of people drinking. Secondly, when there is a ball game and out of town people are looking for a few drinks it's rather stupid to close at 11:00pm. Didn't get back from the game until 10:30. Having to walk 3 blocks and not being able to relax in our expensive hotel was an inconvenience.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Just RIGHT for Twins or Vikings Games.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

Restaurant remodel will make it perfect

Parking at a reasonable price. Shuttle or walk to the Twins games. Walk to Vikings games. Staff was especially helpful. Milk and cookies at 10 pm helps for a good nights rest.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

Good location, better price than anyone nearby
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

I wish they would make coffee available for free to guests - having to pay nearly $4 for a cup of to-go coffee is just obnoxious. Take a page from Hampton Inns and make good coffee available all day. The in-room coffee is pretty bad, especially with "whitener."

As odd as the architecture and interior design is for the location and era, the rooms are perfectly comfortable, clean, and useful. The water pitcher in the room was a nice touch, and I appreciated the ability to drive in and out of the parking lot throughout the day - this was actually one of the selling points for me to stay here, since other nearby hotels were requiring $25 fees for valet parking.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

The room was fine.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non Smoking

Bit of musty, old smell in the hallways. It does not seem to be in the heart of the city, but more on the edge of the fun.

The room was fine. We were pleased with the ready accommodation for our extra guest. The shuttle was helpful and did not make us wait long.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

Good location for downtown Minneapolis
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

Room was a little dark and furniture hasn't been upgraded for awhile. But, everything was clean and comfortable.

Great location, friendly staff. Milk and cookies at 10 pm every night; hot and cold purified water for filling bottles/cups. Comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Great Hotel, lots of charm, clean and comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non Smoking

Crazy lady possibly on drugs or mentally ill, wandering the place allowed to check in to hotel.lounge closed very early in my opinion

Near the US Bank Stadium, heart of downtown, cookies and milk at 10pm, nice lounge, restaurant inside was amazing, lots of small seating areas throughout to get out of your room and visit. Pool looked nice but didn't have time to check it out. Private parking lot was cheap and Parking area was convenient.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Cozy, comforatable and friendly!! The Normandy Inn has it all!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non Smoking

We had a problem one morning finding ice.

The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The shuttle experience to the ballpark was easy. Excellent hotel experience!

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Pool area was great.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

The restaurant had great food but it was a bit pricey.

Pool area was great. They served cookies and milk every evening at 10PM. Umbrellas were available for us to use.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

Restful and great location to get to downtown events.
    • King Room with Roll-in Shower - Disability Access - Non smoking

Street construction outside the entrance made for difficulty finding how to get in to the hotel.

Lovely updated room! Excellent room service. Friendly staff.

It was in a great stay, it will be my first choice to stay there when needing a room downtown again.
    • King Room - Non Smoking

I don't have any complaints.

The room was clean, cozy, and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable. It was quiet there and relaxing.

Prices in the cities are too expensive

Prices in the cities are too expensive

Was not worth almost $200 for one night!
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

Smelt horrible as soon as we walked in the main door. Pictures were much better online so it wasn’t what we expected.

Bed was comfortable

Comfortable. Friendly. Great experience.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds with Pool Access - Non smoking

Bed was very comfy & pillows were perfect!

I loved it
    • King Room - Non Smoking

I would look forward to a return stay in this hotel
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

Temperature outside were very hot air conditioning struggled at night

Delighted with accommodation. Great space.bed very comfortable.

Excellent Stay ....
    • Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

Sink was not well placed, not inside with toilet. Only one full size mirror

Car parking with available space and reasonably priced.

I am nwvrrff

I am nwvrrff

Really nice respectful place
    • Suite with Two Double Beds with Fireplace - Non smoking

Really nice respectful place

• King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

People having sex in the hot tub

Perfect place to stay for my short trip to Minneapolis.
    • King Room with Roll-in Shower - Disability Access - Non smoking

Rooms with loads of space and a nice atmosphere of the hotel.

Relaxing
    • King Suite with Sofa Bed - Non Smoking

Everything! Parking was great!

Steve K
    • King Room - Disability Access - Non Smoking

Everything was great

Relaxing, much needed getaway
    • King Room - Non Smoking

Wish it was just a tiny bit cheaper

Beds are the best I’ve ever slept in!!! In want one for my house!

Love this place! Will return!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non Smoking

Maybe more staff working in the dining area

Extremely comfortable bed! The bathroom was very clean, which I appreciated!

Everything very accommodating