Reviews of King Frederik Inn 3 stars

1617 Copenhagen Drive, Solvang, CA 93463, USA

#10 of 16 hotels in Solvang

Clean, and a nice staff!
    • Queen Room

Well someone tried to come into our room! And the person @ the counter said “ Oh!, it was probably a drunk person just trying to get in!” Not the answer, I was looking for! Also the “Big persons” above us were making a lot of noise! + the $40:00 Booking fee we were charged did not exactly please Me!

Clean, and a nice staff!

Clean rooms.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Room was next to foyer area. Had to keep curtains closed for privacy and was noisy due to proximity to the foyer area.

Clean rooms. Lovely pool and spa area. Nice breakfast. Great location in centre of solvang.

Great place to stay right in the middle of great food and shopping!
    • Queen Room

The staff was very friendly and helpful! The room was nice and bug and very clean. I love that they support their community by getting their morning pastries from a local bakery!

Very glad I picked this place💘
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Great motel. Can’t think of any negative things. Breakfast pastries from Olsen bakery😋. Staff (Mike) was very welcoming. Room clean and comfortable. Felt safe. Good lit parking lot. Convenient to all shops & restaurants.

Great location, nice place.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

I do wish that their pool and Jacuzzi hours started a little earlier in the morning.

Great location downtown near the open air Theatre. Room was comfy and quiet and the staff was very helpful.

We'll stay again.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Loved everything. It wasn't very hot, so we didn't need to use AC. Room was comfortable and clean. Location is excellent. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Jacuzzi and breakfast in the morning were really nice additions.

Lovely staff, great location, comfy beds in an older hotel.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The AC was very noisy all night. And based on the photos on the website, I thought the rooms had been upgraded more. The pretty much looked about the same as they did when I stayed here in the 1970’s. :) Which was fine. I wasn’t unhappy about it, just surprised that it wasn’t what I’d seen online.

The beds were comfortable, my son enjoyed the pool. The room was very clean.

This is where to go for that great weekend getaway!
    • Queen Room

When we first walked into the office, we were greeted by Michael and he gave us the best service we ever gotten. He was extremely polite and very educated with the hotel and knew all the fun things to do in Solvang. Michael made us feel at home with his warm welcome. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone, this hotel gets an A+ in my book.

Location was great.
    • Queen Room

Pillows were lumpy. Nothing else comes to mind.

Location was great. Staff was really friendly, we got there a little early and are room was ready to go.

More than we expected, and exactly what we needed! It was a quick mother/daughter trip
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were a little soft...

The location is perfect! The staff couldn’t be nicer, and it was peaceful there. We had a little problem with our shower drain, but they fixed it immediately. We definitely will be staying here again!

Bottom line...would not stay there again.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Room set up. Uncomfortable to sit anywhere other than the bed. Only one chair in the room. Paper or plastic cups. For the price glass would have been nice. Real coffee mugs too. Oh well.

Not too much. the room was very poorly set up. Only one chair and an uncomfortable one at that. Hard to enjoy any kind of meal in the room. Would not stay there again. Over priced for what you get.

The motel is family friendly and in the middle of Solvang making it convenient to walk around town.
    • Queen Room

Bed was not comfortable for me since I like firmer mattresses. If you like soft mattresses, then you might like it.

Central to the town and very walkable. Free parking. Kids loved the swimming pool.

• Queen Room

Bedding. Comforter and pillow shams. A little old and worn.

Close to everything. Staff very friendly. Especially Michael. Bed comfortable. Quite. Bed coverings and shams could be updated Shower great! Will come back.

It’s standard hotel setting and has everything you need.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast could be improved with more choices of bread.

It’s standard hotel setting and has everything you need. The location is also prime and near to all the attractions.

Pool, spa, bed, location!
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The soap dispenser in the shower!! For $200 a night, I want decent soap and shampoos. Bathrooms were outdated and cheap like.

Pool, spa, bed, location!!

front desk staff was friendly and accomodated our need to...
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

front desk staff was friendly and accomodated our need to set up a pizza dinner for our family and let us back in our rooms to retrieve forgotten items shortly after checkout

Wonderful place to stay!
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

We stayed only for one night, at first floor near swimming pool. Everything looked fantastic, inner or outside. Very clean room with purely white beautiful decoration. We sat on yard chatting in the evening and eating breakfast in the morning, really romantic hotel to stay :-) Moreover, we forgot our coats in the room and they sent back by UPS!!! Thank you so so much!!!

Not fancy, but does the job!
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Kind of pricey for what you got. Pretty loud, i.e., we were on the bottom floor and could hear everything upstairs.

Excellent location to enjoy Solvang! Check in & out was quick & simple

Great location to everything! Staff super friendly! Clean hotel!
    • Queen Room

The location was perfect!! It met all of our needs. Check in process easy and staff was very welcoming. Breakfast was simple but good danishes, hot chocoate and oj. I would definitely recommend it!!

Location :) Very cute Danish town— much to see/do all within blocks of this hotel
    • Queen Room

Location—really good. Right in the middle of town in Solvang. You can walk everywhere. Lots of cute shops, nice restaurants, wine tasting rooms, bars. Hotel/rooms okay. Pool, jacuzzi, bread/juice/coffee.

Great customer service at check in.
    • Queen Room

Small bathroom, no table for eating. Wood floor was dirty. Price was average for city but still too high.

Great customer service at check in. Location was right in the middle of all the stores. Bed was comfy. Had the microwave and fridge. Pastries for breakfast were very good.

Right in the middle of town.
    • Queen Room

No elevators, so that would be a problem in the future if they are sold out on bottom floor.

Right in the middle of town. Clean, spacious rooms, comfortable beds.

had fun, slept well, great location, easy to get to, great staff!
    • Queen Room

an elevator for my bad knee! The stairs were not to terrible!

we got there late in evening. the young man behind the desk had awesome customer service, was so happy and pleasant. it was refreshing!gave great dinner suggestions, gave us a map.

Front desk person was awesome. Easy access to everything in town.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

I would have liked security gates around the property that you use room key to access. It was open and a little noisy.

Friendly, helpful staff. Great pastries and coffee in the morning. Great location and jacuzzi!

Excellent location...right in the heart of the town.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Although I know there wasn't going to be any hot cooked food to choose from for breakfast, some fruit options would be nice like; bananas, apples or oranges but the danishes and muffins were good.

I requested a room near the pool for the kids and we got one right in front of the pool. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean.

Location was great it was right in the heart of everything
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The room was not clean at all there were stains on the curtains which wouldn't have been bad but they were white. The bathroom had stains on the wall and the floor did not look clean . The bed felt like it has Springs coming through Poking us in the back.

Location was great it was right in the heart of everything

Can't wait to come back!
    • Queen Room

Can hear everything happening upstairs, especially at night when someone flushes. Not enough electrical outlets. Had to unplug other things to charge the phone

Location, fast check in, surprisingly clean and comfortable, parking, complimentary coffee, and 24hr attention.

Magical and spectacular
    • Queen Room

We came to Solvang for the first time and absolutely loved and enjoyed our time at the Frederick Inn. The front desk staff (male) with the pretty Hazel eyes was super welcoming and very friendly and knowledgeable in several recommendations. We will definitely be returning here soon. I've also shared my experience with friends and family and expect them to be visiting you soon. Until next time.

Not-too-fancy inn but unbeatable location!
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

I do wish I’d brought my own pillow as the ones provided by the hotel were uncomfortable - but there’s not much to be done about that. Our room door also wouldn’t close properly without a little finagling which I wouldn’t have figured out without Mark’s help. But he did offer to move us to another room immediately. So even that ended up being a positive.

I was surprised at the affordability of this place (and worried about the possible downsides), but found I had nothing to worry about when my wife and I got there. Ample parking, clean room, a microwave and fridge to enjoy the local wares we purchased, a heated pool, and oh, the location! We were exactly where anyone could hope to be - in the center of the historic architectural area where everything worth seeing was a short walk away. Mark was super-friendly and helpful while checking us in or if we needed anything. All in all, a great place to stay.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower was clean and...
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom windows were open when I arrived, which was a hard area to close (you would have to climb the kitchen sink) and made the room very chilly at night.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower was clean and mildew free.

Will definitely stay there again.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Noise level from surrounding businesses and from people enjoying the pool. Not a complaint just not romantic. Still worth the stay due to great location.

Very nice place, great location, walking distance to everything! 😊

The worst sleeping
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

I was disappointed because the staff gave me one bed room. I reserved two beds room before. I was so frustrated. The bed was also uncomfortabe. The fabric was not soft to my family skin and some noisy by next disturbed our sleeping all night. We will never stay there.

The location was good.

Great staff and a great location.
    • Queen Room

The rooms are a little small.

The staff was very friendly and helpful! Also the breakfast is from a local bakery and absolutely delicious! It's in a great location to walk around Solvang.

Wont regret to stay here
    • Queen Room

Breakfast is not as good as I thought, I did not take any food actually, merely bread n cakes.

Location is perfect, and the staff at the front desk is nice, the room is ordinary motel type, clean, comfortable, not much to say.

I would definately stay here again.
    • Queen Room

I felt everything was great.

The bed felt great. I loved that everything was in walking distance. I would definately stay here again. I liked that we were able to check in a hour earlier since our room was ready.

Overall staff was friendly and we would stay again.
    • Queen Room

The loud air conditioning/ heating unit. IT was loud. I feel the "details to cleaning" were lacking. Door handle on bathroom door was loose. Maid should have reported. The "logo" in the shower was dirty and most of all....the grout in front of the shower was dirty. (Why use white grout? Bad choice.) Anyway, grout needs to be steam cleaned and sealed.

It was close in town. The PM staff was super nice. First thing I do when I go to a hotel is check the bed for bedbugs. It was a new bed and clean. Very nice.

Comfortable room. Good size, but it was very dusty.
    • Queen Room

I rather be in a hotel that has people working 24h / 7 days.

As I arrived very late, I almost did not get anybody at the lobby. There isn't anybody there after a certain time and I did not feel so comfortable as the street of the hotel was very dark. Anyone could just go inside and knock on my door. It was not that clear for me when I booked that it was NOT a 24h hotel. Although, there was a telephone outside the hotel for you to call someone in case you needed... but I would never go outside late at night to call someone... Nothing happened. It was a quite night, but I did not feel so secure!

Our stay was wonderful. Plain & simple.
    • Queen Room

Nothing to dislike. Friendly staff, nice accommodations at a reasonable price. Great value

It’s located in the center of town. You only need to park once and walk to all gift shops & restaurants throughout the town. Great little place for families or just couples.

We had a wonderful stay at the Inn. My children enjoyed the pool and spa as well as the location
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

They could have kept the pool or at least the spa open longer than 9pm with adult supervision.

loved the location. It was right in the middle of the main street of Salvang where there was plenty of options for food and shopping.

Would NOT stay here again....worth staying a little further out at Hampton Inn and driving in
    • Queen Room

See above, other than the location in heart of Solvang & shops, it was perhaps too close! Thin walls (staff said they upgraded us to a King bed) LOL ~ then charged us $10.00 xtra per night for a cot we needed for our daughter! NO, we definately wouldn't stay here again!!! Eat out! The hotel food was not edible for us ~ all plastic, styrofoam, paper...

the location was in the middle of shops, town, street, that said - Lots of noise/foot traffic!! "THIN" walls! if you open bathroom window (for air circulation) you will hear every conversation, cars passing with their music, pedestrian conversations, kids screaming! We stayed in RM 201 above lobby/reception. Loud clanging from the wall - water from somewhere toilet/shower..unsure what that noise was, but it was loud. Breakfast was aWfUl, we skipped it for local restaurant. Murky coffee, packaged oatmeal, sugared pastry. that's it! No egg, bacon, nothing fresh as in fruit...Everything packaged/plastic!!!

We'll be back, for sure!
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The King Frederik is in the heart of Solvang and is within walking distance to most everything. The bed was very comfortable, the location was quiet, the parking lot was close to the room and secure, and the staff was friendly and helpful. This is where we stay every time we travel through California.

Our stay was affordable, comfortable and convenient.

There wasn't much of a breakfast and the walls were somewhat thin (you could hear a bit in the other room.)

I loved that it was right in the middle of Solvang with easy access to everything. The room was quaint but also comfortable.

Made visiting family so enjoyable...

All good...

Both queen beds were very comfy...staff very friendly....good coffee and continental breakfast made the morning so easy...all in middle of downtown!

In general we had a very good stay with you.
    • Queen Room

The toilet seat is to low. I had surgery in both knees and it was hard for me to seat.

We liked the location, the friendly staff, and the information you provided.

The room and the bathroom are very clean, i also love the...
    • Queen Room

The room and the bathroom are very clean, i also love the balcony. The location is great, everything is walking distance. So many cute shops just across the hotel.

Needed rest after the fires striking the Santa Barbara Area. Praying firefighters can stop them soon
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

My husband and I had to evacuate the fires in Santa Barbara, but everyone at the King Frederik Inn was extremely helpful during a stressful time. Solvang is a lovely town, with good food and much to do. Michael, the young man at the checkin counter winter out of his way to make sure we got nice rooms. Great coffee and Danish pastry in the morning too.

Overall. Great place to stay in Solvang cause it's right in the main area of town.
    • Queen Room

I got use to it, but heater/fan continually cycling on and off. Probably due to cold air coming in from under the door. Room temperature however was comfortable so I got use to it.

Danishes provided for breakfast we're great!

Lovely motel in the heart of Solvang

The staff were exceptionally helpful, especially in accommodating our party of 5 travellers over three rooms requiring different bed configurations. They found us rooms side by side and made the check in process very easy. Lovely pastry breakfast, lovely clean rooms, excellent location, we could walk every where in town.

Maid service unacceptable
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Maids did not make up the room, even though we alerted them twice when we went out in the morning. Desk clerk informed me that they left at 2:30 and that it was he who brought the towels when I phoned at 2:00pm to say we were going out for remainder of afternoon.

Would definitely recommend King Frederick.

We had no complaints!

Very friendly staff, especially the young man who checked us in. Room in very nice condition. I thought the bed was a little soft when I sat on it, but actually had a great nights sleep the two nights I was there. Bed was more comfortable than mine at home. Great location for our needs.

Great stay for the price
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Front desk service was excellent-quite friendly. The location in Solvang was ideal- an easy walk to the shops and restaurants as it is centrally located. Room came equipped with microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. WiFi worked well and the continental breakfast in the lobby was satisfying. The beds were very comfortable- we were quite delighted with our stay.

Overall, it was a great experience, and would possibly consider staying there again.
    • Queen Room

There were 3 long black dark hairs in the shower/tub. I have short blonde hair and my boyfriend has light brown, shirt hair. It was really digesting.

The staff was super friendly and helpful. Made us feel welcome.

we Were in the heart of Solvang and all we had to do , was enjoy it
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The staff were fabulous, really helpful. We loved the pool . I left a pair of my shoes there by mistake and they took the time and trouble, to send them onto me. The pastries in a morning were delicious

I would stay here again.
    • Queen Room

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There is no elevator in this facility and I have bad knees. If I had known this I would have asked for a ground floor room.

Overall a great place to stay
    • Queen Room

Nothing to do on the property except the pool. Wish there was other recreation or availability of some form of entertainment

Didn't have the breakfast. Bed was okay but could have been better. Overall it was a good place to stay and very conveniently located.

The front desk employees were very friendly and welcoming!
    • Queen Room

It seemed like I could hear everything that was going on outside it seemed like the windows were very thin. The bed wasn’t very comfortable

The front desk employees were very friendly and welcoming! The room was very well kept. I would stay again the price was very good!

Clean, nice bed sheets, clean bathroom.

Checkin at 11 as almost everywhere😀

Clean, nice bed sheets, clean bathroom. Nice heated pool. Good location, just almost everything is closing early. But staff gave us places to eat map with longer working hours. Mandarine restaurant was good. Very cute small town founded by Danish community

I had a comfortable night, but accoutriments seemed lacking.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Only one extra blanket. Very thin walls. Had to be off property to smoke even though I requested balcony/patio just for this purpose. Hard to see turn in from street and the parking was "squished in".

Soft bed.

Fair price, good quality, good jacuzzi.
    • Queen Room

Fair price and good quality. I booked there because of the jacuzzi, great amenity! Juice, coffee and danishes were simple but hit the spot in the morning. Mini fridge was good, too, kept food in there from dinner.

Friendly, extra comfortable motel with extra amenities like fridge, microwave, soft linens!
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

More parking, but worth it to be right In the center of activities.

Right in the center of town for walking access to everything, great pool, extra comfy beds and much nicer linens than a typical motel!

Overall a great stay and great value for location and attentiveness of staff.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

An older property and could do with some updates including linens, tvs etc.

Amazing staff. Juice, water and coffee available in lobby 24/7. Breakfast pastries from Olsens Bakery in the AM. Location couldn't be better. Easy walk to anywhere in town.

Cleanliness of the entire facilities.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Small and very low toilets in room. Good for children. The advertised breakfast was coffee, muffins, or pasteries.all carbs.

Cleanliness of the entire facilities. Friendly staff. My friend's family likes to stay there for the connecting rooms for her big family. Pool and area clean. Staircases clean. Bed comfortable.free wifi.

Nice stay in an interesting town.
    • Queen Room

Room at the ground floor had no blinds (only net curtains).

The Danish pastries for breakfast were the best we've ever had! (bonus as they were not indicated in the booking). Location - on the main street and easy to find. Easy parking. Excellent check in (fast, to the point!).

A good place to stay. I'd certainly recommend it as a place to stay in Solvang.
    • Queen Room

The room was clean and the whole property was well maintained. The first time I stayed here for a while, it was nice that it was in such good condition for a motel that has been around a while. The staff was friendly and helpful.

great town

see above

air condition unit very loud , told mgt and they looked at it said it was new but when we returned to our room at end of evening the air condition started making very load noise again and did so all night

We had a disabled room that was very nice and set up well.
    • Queen Room

We had a disabled room that was very nice and set up well. Parking was right outside our room which made it easy to load and unload luggage. The staff were so very friendly and courteous. I would certainly stay there again.

Very pleasant stay! Would stay again

Bed was a bit too soft

Very pleasant stay. Nice room, seemed very clean, good lighting, friendly staff, nice pool and hot tub, fridge and microwave in room, easy parking, walking distance to lots of shops

Room was clean.
    • Queen Room

Continental breakfast was no good. Extra small coffee with day old danishes, cereal and juice. That's about it

Room was clean. Staff was very friendly.

Great hotel in a perfect location!
    • Queen Room

Don't really have anything to say bad. Great experience with a very helpful and knowledgeable staff. The staff had great reccomendation for food and drinks!

Great location in the center of solvang. Great amenities and comfortable rooms. Pool and spa where excellent.

Awesome spa and Great Location

Weak connection

Great location! Right at the intersection of the two main roads in Solvang, Copenhagen and Mission. Parking seems limited but you will always manage to find one. Friendly receptionist. Free danish from 7am to 10am and Complimentary coffee and juice all day everyday. Swimming pool and jacuzzi hot tub opens from 9am to 9pm. Very clean water and well- maintained environment. The only downside I can think of is the internet connection is quite weak but the simple kitchen in the room would compensate. Overall, 8/10.

Very friendly accommodating staff.

Maybe there could have been a tub. But, I am not picky. 😉😊

Very friendly accommodating staff. The location is unbeatable and a great deal altogether! I will definitely stay here again!

The location.
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The maid service did not replenish our coffee so we only had decaf to choose from. They also only gave us bath towels on the 2nd day and no clean hand or wash towels. Disappointing.

The location.

The Danishes for breakfast that were brought in from the...
    • Queen Room

The rooms look like any other chain hotel room instead of giving you the feeling of staying in a Danish cottage.

The Danishes for breakfast that were brought in from the bakery across the street were delicious. The staff was accommodating with an early check-in and a late check-out. It is located in the centre of town, close to every good restaurant, museum and bar, and we didn't need to drive. The pictures are not quite as advertised because the rooms have basic decor, with a mini fridge, AC, microwave, hair drier and iron box.

Great!
    • Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Better pillows. Too firm.

Proximity to the theater as well as being close to all the shops and restaurants. 2nd year we have celebrated our anniversary there.

Great stay to relive the movie Sideways!
    • Queen Room

Wish there was some shade at the pool.

The pool and hot tub were very clean. The staff was super friendly and the location was in the very center of Solvang. Very walkable to just about everything I wanted to go to.