Reviews of Crowne Plaza Hotel and Suites Pittsburgh South 4 stars

164 Fort Couch Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15241, USA

#39 of 62 hotels in Pittsburgh

• Standard Room

Checking in was difficult bc I went thru a third party. I had to call booking.com to verify I was a guest there. The reservation clerk was rude and placed booking.com rep on hold while checking in and out other guests. There was only one person working the desk. However the manager was very apologetic and gave me drink voucher and breakfast voucher for my troubles.

The rooms were huge bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bar / restaurant has great service however when we were ready to pay our bill it took a long time bc they were busy with other guests due to a wedding party.

They were warm and welcoming. The staff was fantastic. Totally the best location. The best onion soup I ever had and the prices in the dining room were very reasonable.

The conference room where my training was located. The room was too small and there were no tables. We had to hunt for more chairs and the coffee ran out. It reflected poorly on PESI and unfortunately it made me not want to return to your hotel for any future conferences. Perhaps better communicators between PESI and the hotel would have helped make appropriate accommodations for future conferences.

Room was nice. I slept well.

See above

Comfort ! Only Problem was the electricity went off at five in the morning we were put in a handicap room on the eighth floor, which I don’t understand how Someone handicap can stay on an eighth floor! With the electricity going out there was no elevator so we had to go down luggage and all eight flights of stairs because the elevator was out with the electricity! Not sure if we would’ve been handicaped , how we could’ve gotten out of the hotel! Especially if there would’ve been a fire! We also had to get ready in the dark which was not the hotels fault! I thought hotels had generators but maybe I’m wrong. All in all the stay was a comfortable stay!

Temp of room was difficult to adjust. Too cold at 73.

Perfect omelette from the nicest man at 11 AM on Sunday. Also, very helpful and friendly front desk personnel.

• Standard Room

Cost, and cable tv! Very expensive for a senior frequent visitor!! Cable free tv is terrible and most are pay-per-view! The cost is very high for a senior citizen but it’s the only hotel near family I visit several times a year! I have been staying here several times a year and just accept it! I have been an iHG member for years and never have gotten anything to be a member! I would not stay here if there were other competing available places!

? Staff,location

Our room was on the top floor directly under a heating unit which made a fair bit of noise all night long. No kitchen facilities for longer stays. Couldn’t find a guest laundry. Outdoor swimming pool not great for cooler weather.

Happy Hour in the restaurant daily plus once a week there’s a free meet and greet for guests. Clean rooms. Friendly staff. Directly across from a shopping mall and other eating options. Free parking. Close to public transport to get into the city.

I checked in a couple minutes early (1PM) and they tried to charge me $20 :( After I complained they took it off, so beware if you coming before 3PM.

Great location by a nice mall and the train station for going down town.

Room was freezing! The heat was not working properly. We phoned maintenance. We got the window unit to blow a little warmer. Uber cannot find this location - it is oddly 'off' on GPS location. Taxis did not respond to this hotel either. Noise level of guests was high.

Location: We came to town to see family perform in local high school play, and this was the nearest good property. Room was adequate sized and bed was comfortable. Onsite restaurant had nice options and good service. Decent prices.

My first room had adjoining rooms on both sides. I could hear clearly the conversations in the adjoining rooms. Way to noisy to even try and sleep. They were able to shift me to a room without adjoining rooms.

Facility was very well maintained and just remodeled. My second room was very roomy and quiet.

In-room coffee mugs were dirty - made me wonder what else had been overlooked. Didn't care for the bedding. Felt like feathers or dust or something was coming out of the comforter. For about the same price, the Springhill Suites on Washington Road (Rt. 19) is much nicer (You have to pay $12/nite to park there, but nice complimentary breakfast offsets the extra cost.)

The location was very hard to find.

We loved the cleanliness of the room. The bedding smelled clean and looked clean. The linens were very white. Everything about the room was excellent.

I hope we can get some salad for breakfast options and self-laundry service.

Very comfortable room to stay. Clean and enough room to open luggage. Breakfast options change a few every day.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

far from downtown

hotel is far from downtown but in excellent very safe location. lots and lots of amenities if you are looking for things to do while waiting for main event or reason you are in pittsburgh. 4 min walk from trolley system that takes you right to downtown (20 mins ride).

• Standard Room

At check out staff answered the phone in the middle of our transaction .We had to wait until the phone conversation was done.

Clean,especially the room

• Standard Room

Given that amount of time I stayed at the hotel, the room was a bit pricey, but everything worked well, the sleeping lotions are a nice touch.

The service at the bar was quite good. I had no meal, but the French Onion soup was fine.

• Deluxe Queen Room

To know more about the perks

I had stayed here before the renovations, and swore never again! However, I thought okay, try it. It was a very pleasant surprise, The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was great - hot, everything looked fresh, good. Our waitress was great, pleasant (and it was early morning), kept coming back making sure everything was ok. A Great Experience. Not at all familiar with the Genius Perks, and although I have an IHG Rewards card, nothing was explained or said about these perks at check-in. I'll stay here again.

Poor shower. Slippery floor in shower & bathroom. No handheld shower. No bathroom ventilation. Some light fixtutes in room not working. No warm blanket on bed or available.

• Standard Room

The air conditioning unit (which didn't get much use because of the weather) when running made an awful noise. Also, you were able to hear almost everything in the rooms adjacent - as though the insulation between rooms was thin or non-existent.

Restaurant had a neutral and cool atmosphere. I realize people travel less formally now, but I stayed at this hotel before and really liked the dining room. This current dining "area" is more for the suites-type hotel experience in my opinion. I chose Crowne Plaza because it had a regular dining room, rather than a a lobby-area dining area. So when we arrived, we didn't realize it had gone through a recent transformation. Breakfast the following morning was a disappointment. It will be a factor when I travel to this area again as to whether I stay at The Criwne Plaza at this price point.

• Standard Room

When we first arrived they gave us the key to someone else's room. We were there I took a nap once we got there because I was extremely tired. I woke up with bites all over my rear area and back. The receptionist apologized could do nothing to accomadate us. We were 3 hours from home

One of the waitresses was abrupt with us and not attentive when we ordered. I observed her with two other tables whereby she was equally rude with the foursome and not aware of what was on the menu. The other patron walked out after being told that her menu choices could not be honored and giving her something the lady did not want. I believe the guest was embarrassed by the waitress behavior, I know I would have been. Everybody has a bad night but the restaurant was not busy at all and this one waitress with dark hair should consider another job preferably away from people.

The beds were comfortable and clean and I loved the aromatherapy gift. Breakfast was very good and better than most typical free breakfast buffets.

• Standard Room

hotel was recently remodeled - desk in room did not have any electric for charging laptop or phones, poor lighting in room, new modern style in restaurant was like being in a cafeteria, loud and cold.(old restaurant was nicer and quiet-warm)

staff was very pleasant. room was very clean. very close to everything, shopping restaurants etc.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Standard Room

My room smelled musty. Sheets were dirty. Staff tried to help air it out. And they gave new sheets (but I had to change them myself).

Good staff. Fast response to concerns.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• King Suite

The room was spotless and had a small kitchenette, including a fridge and single cup coffee brewer. The beds and pillows were incredible - most comfortable hotel I've ever stayed in. EXCELLENT complimentary continental breakfast. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Standard Room

A little difficult to locate from street while driving.

This was a wonderful hotel located just outside the city. The hotel is clean and the staff is pleasant and accommodating. It is across the street from a mall and accessible to restaurants. It is a good location for a longer stay but traffic in the morning and after work can get heavy due to tunnel.

• Standard Room

No fridge in the room, asked for a king room and they gave us 2 queens (just to tired to complain). WiFi was bad in our room. For having a 4 star rating I expected just a few more feature at least a fridge and a keruig machine insted of the stale generic pods no one uses. Bathroom ceiling low in the shower, that pissed me off because I had to squat down a bit to wash hair. Lots of dust and cobwebs above the TV. AC unit very loud when the fan is on.

The room was cheap, clean. Free parking was a plus.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Standard Room

Coffee could've been a bit better. A couple bottles of water in the room would be nice and a frig.

Beds were comfy. Room was clean, staff were helpful with directions

a mini fridge in the room

the Jacuzzi and see through fire place was awesome I loved that we could watch tv from our Jacuzzi. The bed was comfortable and pillows were super soft.

There was no microwave or refrigerator in the room. We were put up on the pet friendly floor without even asking to us. The restaurant took nearly an hour to brig our food and when we asked for the dessert, they said they closed the kitchen without even asking if we would Like to order anything else. There is more from breakfast time but I don't have enough space here.

It was clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

No Vegan menu or refrigerator in the room

I liked the convenience of having the mall and pharmacies in walking distance. They made up my room so lovely, very large single beds

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

I was disappointed that a continental breakfast was not included considering the nightly rate.

Fitness center was very good as were the multiple seating/meeting areas. Restaurant food was very good.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Standard Room

No USB ports (???) ... unusual for 2016.

Of all the places we ate in Pittsburgh, the hotel restaurant was the best! Amazing food for sure ... breakfast & supper.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Standard Room

New furniture in room needs more storage

Completely renovated and very striking..staff was first-rate...friendly and helpful...very clean and housekeeping was super helpful...my husband was ill while we were there and staff, especially in restaurant, very cooperative in making sure we were comfortable

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• Standard Room

We booked a room with two queen beds that Booking.com listed as available. They didn't have any rooms with the 2 Queen beds. We were accommodated with a King and they gave us a cot. This was not the hotel's fault, but I feel Booking.com needs to have accurate inventory to offer. The hotel and their staff was awesome and very accomodating.

Breakfast buffet was awesome and the servers were great. I like a hot buffet with omelets made right in front of you.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Nothing that could be controlled. Just that he would have liked for it to have been closer to the stadium or that the hotel offered shuttle service to the stadium but that was the ONLY thing.

I sent a friend to the Steelers Game from Mississippi and decided on this hotel. He was VERY PLEASED!! I could kick myself for not remembering the name of the young lady I spoke with on the evening of Tuesday, October 11, 2016 around 7:00 p.m. She was EXTREMELY HELPFUL with all of my questions concerning the room size and available transportation for them to get to the game. Her excellent service was the final deciding factor for me to book this hotel for him and he was very happy with it.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• King Suite

we had 10 in our group and everything was arranged well. the upper floor rooms were newly redecorated and updated as was the lobby. the staff was helpful and we had plenty of room with the living rooms separate from the bed room to get together as a group

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Bed was a little to firm and bedding was kind of rough.

We were greeted well at check in and desk clerk even remembered our agenda 2 days later. He asked how things were at the game and amusement park. Awesome!

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Standard Room

AC is not central so it cycled on/off every 15 mins(hot-cold) no longer has relationship with Ballys no fridge in the room ugly new décor: new hall carpets look dirty, theme of new décor is utilitarian hospital sheik/Jettsons, PROBABLY EASY TO HOSE DOWN BUT UGLY AS HELL

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Room interior was a little tired and gave the feeling of no matter how much housekeeping may have worked to clean the room, it still had a feeling of dingy and tired.

Staff and location were great. Gather Restaurant was delicious.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

Some construction going on but didn't experience inconvenient noises or anything, just random piles of tools in the hallway.

Super clean, super friendly staff, updated rooms, very comfortable

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

Food Staff Helpfulness with travel Comfortable and very clean room Drinks night for new vacationers Interested in us as people not just travellers

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Standard Room

The bathroom needs a fan to dissipate shower steam. Elevators and part of the building are under construction, but, of course, that can't be helped.

Comfortable, quiet, attractive room, great breakfast, whether off the menu or from the buffet. Good coffee! Friendly and attentive waitresses and waiters at breakfast each morning. Nice bar/lounge to congregate in the evening for a drink or a cup of tea. We enjoyed the pool, and liked the modern, open area in the lobby with the high chairs and long table where we would wait for each other. Very friendly and helpful staff, who knew directions for where we wanted to go, and printed out maps as needed. Proximity to the mall was nice. We had family gatherings in Mt. Lebanon to attend, and this was the perfect location for that. We were only about 3 miles from the heart of "uptown" Mt. Lebo, and convenient for our trips to go sightseeing in downtown Pgh. and Oakland.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

I think they should have coffee (free) every morning, not just Monday through Friday. When we first get up.....we like coffee. It is in the rooms, but it is not as good as down stairs. The gym was nice...but they need more weights.

The hotel was extremely clean and had just gone through a renovation. Very nice and modern.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Standard Room

We could have really used a refrigerator in the room. It had an OK size pool. WE weren't there for the pool but was maybe a bit small for kids. A hot tub/whirlpool was not present and that would have been nice.

Staff was super friendly and gave us great tips on local restaurants. Their restaurant had amazing burgers and the breakfast was great too. It wasn't included with the room but you received a lot of food for the money!

No towels left or toilet paper

Happy hour !!

• Standard Room

Found a dirty sock and beer caps. Cleaning was not up to usual standards

Beds are comfortable and love all the pillows.

• Standard Room

Location, comfortable room with good amenities

Quite small breakfast selection.

Nice modern hotel with thoughtful details located in the shopping area.

A nice location close to subway line and malls. Very friendly staff.

Rooms were not quiet. Could here people quietly talking in next room

Clean, new

Great location, attentive staff. The beds were a little bouncy and transferred a good bit of motion. Overall, good value.

the front desk was not friendly

the front

Some of staff wasnt the friendliest.

Comfortable beds, every area I was im was clean.

• Standard Room

Nicely decorated. Comfortable. All the amenities we needed. Our third visit....our go to place in Pittsburgh.

The staff was great and it was very clean it looked like a brand new property!

Didn’t eat

• Standard Room

I did not have a meal there but if I had time I would have

• Standard Room

Comfortable bed and room. Accommodating staff. Excellent location.

There was nothing I didn't like.

The beds were very comfortable. Pillows were nice and fluffy. Room was very clean.

Bathroom was filthy, complained but still not clean

The mattress and pillows were outstanding

Too pricey

Nice bed. Good climate control.

Cost

Was location of a reunion. Food wasn't great. Very pricey

Close to the South HillsVillage Mall, AAA and banks. Has a swimming pool and athletic center.

No negative experience.

I can only recommend!

• Standard Room

The staff was professional and friendly. We were travelling with our dog and all the staff was very pet friendly. Great stay!

Not friendly staff

Close to T-line and shops

• Standard Room

in general breakfast was very ordinary

Everyone was very nice and welcoming. And room was spotless.

1 Elevator was not working Food. Breakfast could have been better

Just about everything

Very modern

Nothing. Was there for one night and is was great!

New, very clean, bright hotel and quiet rooms. Parking lot was well lit.

• Standard Room

Few minor maintenance and housekeeping issues

Nice location, comfortable beds and room. Nice common areas

• Standard Room

Bar/restaurant could be open a bit later.