Reviews of Taj Campton Place 5 stars

340 Stockton Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94108, USA

#7 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

The bed. Not good. I've stayed at 3 luxury "boutique-y" hotels in the past 6 months...all 3 had spent millions on upgrades to the properties...except for the beds. Why do they forget to upgrade the beds? It's really disappointing....and puzzling. They could certainly make a deal with Leesa or Casper and get 2018 style beds instead of 1975 style beds...SMH.

Fabulous staff...truly exceptional. Every single person who works there was top notch...genuinely friendly and helpful.

I always seem to get the worst located rooms when booking through Booking.com. It happened at this place and every booking done so far. Campton place is a good hotel and the staff very pleasant. Room size was adequate and well appointed.

Too small.

It was pretty expensive for tiny room. It was smaller than we expected. Pictures weren’t enough to show the room how exactly look like. But nice people and good location.

Our room was next to the lifts. Unfortunately the sound proofing is poor. We were told we had an upgrade but I think this was a ploy to get us to accept the room. Avoid 1504 if you want to sleep and guessing there would be this noisy room on every floor

The room was smaller and less nice than represented on the site, and the window looked directly out to other buildings with blocked windows so I kept the curtains drawn.

The staff were very friendly, especially doormen and valets.

For the price of the rooms and the rating of the hotel I expected better from the room itself. The rooms could use some updating.

The staff made my stay enjoyable. Very helpful and friendly. Carlos the concierge was fantastic in helping organize things to do. Val and Laura were also fantastic.

The shower was awkward to use for tall persons.

The room was spacious and well-appointed. The bathroom products provided were first-rate. The breakfasts were delicious.

although they found no table for us for dinner. Value of room not comparable for almost $500 per night. Hotel and rooms a bit dated but very clean.

The breakfast was amazing!!!

Like everything

really like the staff's friendliness. room and bed was very comfortable and clean. great location. great breakfast. would return next time I'm in S.F.

I found San Francisco extremely expensive. Last time I visited was 2 years ago and things changed a lot. Bistro restaurant was too expensive , I was not particularly keen on that sort of food. At the time of check in, I was told that mine was the only room available, as the Hotel was full. As I didn't like it, too small and not in a quiet location as requested, I insisted and another member of the Front Desk gave me the option of a few rooms, on top floors. Then I was happy, considering I was going to stay for 6 days. This is to confirm that it's just a matter who is the staff.

Very central location,walking distance to many attractions, easy to get public transportation. Quiet and relaxing atmosphere. Very comfortable room with Nespresso machine and good selection of tea. I did like their daily $25 offer for free breakfast, that was a nice bonus. Good a la carte breakfast options. Sparkling clean.

The shower must not have been ever used by the designer. The glass wall is not long enough to keep water off of the floor and if one adjusts the shower to spray within it, one steps on the drain to close it. Also there should be a handrail up the step into the shower and across the back of it for safety.

Breakfast was expensive, but there are many alternatives in the neighborhood. In my room I could hear everything that happened in the corridor.

Perfect location, practically on Union square. Concierge was outstanding. Good advise always with a smile. Comfortable room.

Intrusive cleaners. Some appliances did not function. No views. Noisy despite high floor. Breakfast banal with poor quality ingredients.

Good Bed.

The room is a little bit small, but I believe most of the hotel rooms in SFO are not big and expensive.

Great Location! It is suitable for business traveler and couple. It is around one minute walk to Union Square and 5-10 mins to Powell St. Station and Westfield. My partner and I walked from station to hotel around 10pm, the area looks safe to me. Great service! They accidentally charge us a bottle of drink from mini bar, but refund quickly after we emailed them.

The gym (good idea to have partly as open-air) is not manned. The person before us did not wipe down the equipment and it was left dirty. Not sure how this could be monitored more closely?

Personnel of a very high standard: helpful, professional and with a constant smile! The bed and bed linen of the highest standard. Can't get a more central location!

The room had a weird smell and I over paid for the room as hotels in San Francisco were fully booked during my visit

Great location and helpful friendly staff

Room ambience, poor airconditioning . Bathroom shower was not appropriate . Curtains in the room were not adequate to keep out the street lights n overpriced

Staff n cleanliness

No indication for the locations ( ex.: where are the restaurants ? What is complimentary in the room.

The reception and the service for the reservation of a taxi.

The front desk was a little slow when we arrived. Also, there was confusion in regards to the room we we're supposed to actually get vs what we got on arrival. Had to change rooms for the last night.

Very comfortable room

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

not a problem with the taj, but it was oracle world in sf... ugh.

I guess they see a lot of people who come to SF for surgical work, staying there after instead of going straight home was such a good decision. everyone was super helpful. and a great experience.

Nothing. It was a perfect experience.

Clean, elegant and the quietest room ever, right in the heart of downtown. The bed was extremely comfortable, we slept for at least 9 hours uninterrupted each night. Everything about this place exudes class. The bar is wonderful and the restaurant is unbelievable. The tasting menu for lunch was amazing. Love the location, you can walk practically anywhere from there. View of Union Square from the window bench in our room.

"upgraded" upon arrival to room next to loud elevator. generally the sound proofing was minimal. could here guest above us shower, sink etc.

great reception encounter, doormen attentive

The lobby is small, there is no separate lounge, no cigar lounge, no swimming pool, no bar.

Located in the center of town, this 5 star hotel excels in courtesy, discretion, gentleness. The rooms, though not extremely spacious, meet 5 star standards. Breakfast is a la carte and served (no buffet). Very good quality bistro and 2 Michelin star Indian-touch restaurant.

45 minute wait for a table for breakfast on Satuday. There was no maitre d' or a wait list; guests argued about who was before whom...... Front desk said it was a separate company.

love the TAJ. all around good hotel; overrun with conventions or luggage stacked against a wall

Breakfast is a HUGE RIP OFF! We paid 76 $ for almost nothing. Avoid, if you can.

Location is perfect (shops, restaurants, public transport, museums). Rooms are clean, big enough. Bed is comfortable. You get coffee machine in the room and complementary newspaper.

• One-Bedroom Suite

They charge for LOCAL CALLS, this is ridicules. Local call cost 7$, sorry is that a 3 star hotel? 5 stars hotel ain't charge for local call. Yah local call

Everything inside the room is 10/10

Preferred to stay in higher floor next time to get a better view of the city. Should upgrade to have USB connection.

Staff were friendly, accommodative, and attentive to little detail.

Liked everything.

The cleanliness, comfort, quiet hotel right in Union Square. Little touches in the room such as placing my skincare products on to a little mat. Beautiful shampoos and body washes. Good basic wifi. Consierguer was very helpful.

I am very disappointed with this hotel since I booked King room type and staff at check-in, gave me accessibility king room which not what I booked for. But at that time I didn't realize that not the room, I booked until I go up to the room and saw that the layout of the room is very bad (look like the room is made for disability) I feel like the hotel downgrade my booking. Fortunately, I print the confirmation that is written my booking is King room not accessible room. He changed my room to normal King room with no apologise and no explanation what's wrong, why I got down grade room so I feel taken. Another thing that I don't like is the room picture and real room is not match. I booked this hotel because of the picture of big window with beautiful sofa, but neither the first room, nor the second room do not have that sofa and big window. So I feel this hotel is not honest to the customer.

The bed is comfy, room size big enough, very good location, good service

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

The room and bathroom are a little smaller than expected. Would be tight for a couple with full set of luggage.

Bright and helpful staff. The 2-Michelin Star restaurant is superb, and a great convenience if you want a fine dining evening while in town.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

No free coffee and tea in the room. Very basic gym . Low value for money except the location and service . Hotel ammeneties are not luxury at all.

Location Staff was brilliant ! Upgraded me to a captains suite at a very nice rate !

I have none.

Incredible customer service. Cleaning services were thorough and very detailed down to setting my sunglasses on a complimentary glass cleaning wipe.

No free coffee in the room as had to pay! Restaurant and drinks expensive in hotel

Comfy beds and pillow walking distance to tourist buses and cable car

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not cheap, for this price I would have thought they would have a pool/spa/sauna with the gym.

Bed very comfy. Staff extremely accomodating and personable. Nice touches like the water in the lobby with ice and citrus, and the ice bucket filled up each evening at turn down. Fantastic location.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

The view from my original booked room was in the back side of the hotel, looking at a wall/office. I requested a new room which was changed immediately to the front of the hotel with a view of Union Square. Thanks to staff for quickly accommodating!

The breakfast was fresh and tasty (had the eggs & crabcakes). There was also a sweet dessert marking our anniversary in our room when we arrived.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

We had stayed at the Campton several times some years ago before it was a Taj Hotel. It seems less elegant, more in need of a face lift, not as good a restaurant. No chair in the bedroom. Tub/shower was difficult to use and water was cold in the early A.M.

Staff was very helpful. Location great. Nice sized hotel, but it needs upgrading.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Nothing significant to report except for one big issue not involving the Taj....the poverty and homeless problem is a serious issue in San Francisco . If not tackled by the government San Fran could become a no go area for tourists which would definitely affect the tourist industry One minor criticism . The suite was too close to the lift which you could hear operate during the evening hours when in bed

Michelin 2 star restaurant was brilliant Staff were excellent in providing places of interest especially the concierge and the doorman Upgraded to a very nice suite with fantastic views

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

My third time here - the 'free' internet service is so slow it almost doesn't qualify as internet. I had to go to Starbucks around the corner....

Lovely old hotel with a wonderful staff. The location is fabulous...

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

our check in time was 3:00 but we weren't allowed to check in until 3:30. not good after a long flight from boston.

over all very good service,but the man at the desk was a little rude

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

The room size - esp. for a 3 night stay - was a little too small!!

The staff were extra courteous. The place was extremely well kept and the rooms well supplied.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Hard to find light switch on one side of bed.

Lovely, quiet hotel with friendly staff and a great location. The restaurant is amazing,if pricey. Love the Nespresso mach6 in the room.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

I had a couple issues which are worth mentioning here which made what was an overall positive experience, a little less so. When I picked up my bill, I was surprised to see that I was charged $2.50/coffee pod. These are the nespresso pods inside the room. Even at the holiday Inn, in-room coffee supplies are gratuitous, so this came as a surprise. Particularly given the amount paid for the room (I paid from $238 - $344 per night, varying by day of the week - Tues/Wed the higher rate, for some reason). Really, coffee isn't free? It isn't the amount, just the idea as it seems incongruous with the rest of the experience. I recommend the hotel do away with that policy - price such things into the room rate. The other issue was that upon checking in, I was told that breakfast was included in my rate. I hadn't thought I had made that type of booking. The next morning, I went and enjoyed a breakfast. However, I decided it was best to double-check my reservation and found no mention of breakfast. When I checked at the front desk (with a different person), I was told that no, my rate did not include breakfast. Rather, I had a $25 one-time voucher that could be applied towards breakfast. I was certain of what I heard. Let it go, and had breakfast elsewhere - not a burden given the many great breakfast choices. Eggs benedict and coffee had cost more than the voucher, mind you. Again, just a bit odd and gave one the feeling of sales techniques that I don't expect at this price level. Finally, right after checking in and getting a room on the 3rd floor, I did call down to inquire as to whether or not I could get a room on a higher floor. I was told that at my rate, that was not possible. If that is the case, I must wonder how much more those room were. I did not make a fuss about any of these issues, but I think they may assist in considering this hotel and perhaps assist the management in considering small improvements to the experience.

This is a nice hotel just off of Union Square. My favorite part of this hotel is the workout room which is an outdoor terrace on the roof with a spectacular view of Union Square (it is covered). Very cool. I liked my room which was small, but cozy with slot doors and tasteful interior. Not inexpensive but not atypical for San Francisco (and Union Square) during the holidays.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

waiting for breakfast, nice to live in hotel with Michelin-starred restaurant, but you have to make reservation probably before you order this hotel

very good location, breakfast - when is not full and you can go in, nice and big badroom

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Frustrated by the turn down service - they moved my luggage around which I'd placed specifically, items still in the case etc. They moved without permission and everything fell out and thus had to spend an hour replacing everything for my check out the next day. Also.. The feedback (not complaint) I gave them was not met with any little gesture of good will. Just a "sorry about that" - which for the standard of hotel is unacceptable.

High standard of room, comfy bed and just superb hotel service overall. It's majestic. Very friendly and warm.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Terrible gym - outdoor facility with old equipment Very expensive

Well located on Union Square Comfortable rooms Good service throughout the hotel Restaurant is excellent

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Valet Parking $70 (park across the road at the public garage for a fraction of the cost) The tea & coffee in the room is charged at approx $2.50 per tea bag or pod per person per day - you can have 1 of either per person per day complimentary. It doesn't send out a welcoming message when you arrive & want a quick refreshing cup of tea. The hotel was much better before the Taj Hotel chain took over. It's still a good hotel. It it's lost its luxury boutique feel. Our room felt a bit tired in places.

Central location - good for covering all neighhoods. The staff are excellent.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

We tried to order room service for breakfast and did not see any available options and there was no options for breakfast dishes on the go, like upon checkout we wanted a breakfast sandwich or breakfast burrito and were told it wasn't possible.

The hotel was very quiet - a very important factor as many of the other hotels in the area are super loud due to being on busy streets.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

We have no negative comments about our stay at the Taj Campton Place.

The Taj Campton Place staff was extremely professional, welcoming, sincere and helpful. They always had a smile on their face and were genuinely happy to help you in any way they could. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone! The location was amazing too. Worth every penny!

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite

The price was an awful lot Of money to pay so be aware of that being the only negative ....

I loved the staff, the buikt in's and the overall room e/on suite, very nice.....

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Absolutely amazing hotel. We started our honeymoon here and we were amazed with the service! We were welcomed every time with our names, making us feel very special! We were given champaign and cake in congratulations! When we come back, we will be staying here!! We loved Tony, the bellman, he was awesome!

I had a room with a tub and shower combo, and the step to get into the tub is rather high. I could handle it but you have to make yourself aware or you could fall getting out.

The bed was so comfy and the Frette linens are wonderful! Quiet and peaceful.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

No swimming pool

All staff was really friendly and helpful. It's perfectly situated just off Union Sqand has a nice, smallish boutiquey feel. No teeming masses to contend with. Nice bathroom and room amenities. Would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Watch out for valet parking charges ($70 overnight) but this is about the same price all over downtown San Francisco and not just unique to the Taj. Bed mattress was a little soft for my preference. Had a terrible restaurant recommendation from the concierge but this is not a reflection on the property.

Outstanding location and great value for a 5 star hotel 1/2 block from Union Square. Not sure how long this hotel has been a Taj property but they have done a great job updating/.renovating it. Bathrooms were excellent. Very friendly staff that are looking to make our stay as good as possible. I would stay here again on my next visits to SFC.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel facilities are limited, and they charge for parking much more than parking building next door

Property was very clean and quite. Restaurant was excellent food.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Check in was a breeze (no queuing), the rooms are modern, clean and the bed was very comfortable. Very little outside noise (we was not facing the main street). Great location for union square, Starbucks next door for coffee and crossaints (breakfast sorted).

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

NOTHING!!!! sorry there's not a thing on my negative list. even the weather was perfect - did you order it?

we loved it all -- the location, the staff from the doorman to gabrielle to all the desk people to the restaurant waitpeople.!! we cannot recommend you highly enough and intend to do so on tripadvisor.

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

The hotel staff was very friendly and willing to help with any request we had. My wife and I were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and they were able to check us in early and put us in high corner room looking over Union Square, just beautiful. When we came back to our room that night they left a beautiful plate with chocolate and fruit and a card for our anniversary. The location is wonderful too. Union Square has a lot to offer, entertainment, shopping, cable cars and much more.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite

the hotel is a bit too old and there is no swimming pool.

the staff there are superb and helpful! from front desk to house keepers. I like this hotel is bec of their hospitality!

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

I ate at the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast. The food was excellent. The service was not so good.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. I slept very soundly. Never heard any outside noise.

Mattress

Difficulty signing on multiple times

The price of food and drink

Brilliant hotel in a brilliant location

Staff, the best i have found in entire of USA

Excellent cuisine at restaurant and super friendly and professional staff.

The veiw

I did not like the veie

Nothing really

Lovely comfortable rooms, helpful staff ,nice but expensive food

Uncomfortable pillows and plug in the bathroom basin did not work

Great stay and would love to stay again next time in San Francisco

Friendly staff, lovely comfy rooms, fantastic restaurant

Parking a bit steep. Wifi high speed wasn't really.

Staff and location.

Very comfortable room. Bathtub was great. Staff were wonderful.

Overpriced bar beverages.

Great location, friendly staff

Free wifi speeds are suboptimal. You have to pay extra for decent bandwidth.

Breakfast took very long time to be served.

Staff are extremely nice and helpful.

Browse Taj Campton Place traveller photo gallery