Reviews of Capital Hilton 4 stars

1001 16th Street Northwest, Northwest, Washington, DC 20036, USA

#92 of 138 hotels in Washington

5.5

The room was nice and the location was convenient.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I didn't like the 4:00pm check in and the inflexibility of checking in any earlier. I arrived at 3:00 and was told that my deluxe queen room wasn't available but f I wanted to upgrade to a king room for an extra $50 a night, those rooms were available for early check-in. I switched to the Hyatt the next morning and they let me check in at 10:30am.

The room was nice and the location was convenient.

Good location if you want to walk to DC museums and sites.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Parking was valet only and pricey - $60 per day. Alternative garages are few if your trip ends on Sunday since most garages are not open on Sunday.

Good location if you want to visit the White House (about a 5 min walk) or go to the Smithsonian sites (about a 20 min walk). We paid extra to have breakfast included. The buffet was limited but very fresh and tasty.

Nice location, not nice service
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room was wet, our need the floor, our clothes got wet and they don’t have washers in property. The at conditioner was leaking.

Very close to the White House and walking distance to everything!

Could be better
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Not upfront about hidden charges. They can deduct money from your account, but unlike other hotels these guys don’t provide a single notification, receipt or a summary whatsoever.

Comfortable

Great property in a convenient location, but expect to spend well beyond cost of room.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Parking overnight is very pricey - as is breakfast. I feel if you're paying $60 a night to garage a car, they could comp you the continental breakfast.

Extremely friendly staff. Very clean and quiet room.

• Deluxe Queen Room

after I booked thru booking.com hotel actually charged me way more so I had to go back and for the with them to get balance corrected and the hotel also tried to run my card twice after we checked in @3am, very odd

Wonderful stay, would stay again!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

We were upgraded to an Executive Room, although it seemed like just a normal size room-nothing special. Complimentary breakfast with the upgrade and water bottles. Sometimes the water bottles wouldn’t be available. Not a big deal just a bummer when you had to go buy them instead. We stayed during a holiday and probably hard to keep up with the crowd.

Very nice, clean hotel. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Great location...2 blocks from the White House, 2 blocks from a Metro stop. Lots of restaurants and coffee shops within walking distance.

could be better

The rooms and overall hotel feels old. Our A/C did not work the first night. When we asked to exchange rooms, they said they "no, we'll fix it today." We returned to our room to have a dusty fan sitting on top of the broken A/C. Poor response. We later got a room upgrade but felt very inconvenienced.

The hotel has a great location and is easily accessible to the rest of the city. The hotel let us check in early which was greatly appreciated.

I only stayed one night. Was charged 200 half a day, wanted to shower before evening event.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I stayed there in 1999, no changes made to hotel except price more than doubled.

Bed was fine, place was very clean, old, too stuffy. Allergies acted up

Convenient location, but that's about it.

Although the room was quiet, the pillows were terrible...too flat! Room smelled "musty" unless you kept the AC on 65 degrees. Very small bathroom/sink area.

Check in staff was very friendly and helpful.

Everything was amazing, except the parking.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Offer parking. Just ridiculous.

Everything was amazing, except the parking. The hotel was not able to accommodate parking. I ended up driving around and finding a parking garage @60$ a day, not cool.

Nice and helpful
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I think that all hotels of this quality and costs should have high speed secure wifi access as a given. This is minimal and a basic necessity for business or pleasure

I enjoyed the place and loved how the bell man reached in and had a bottle of water for me as I jogged in from my jog.

Good central location with decent sized rooms and nice staff
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Building is a little long in the tooth, most evident in elevators etc. Still a first class hotel, but ready for some updating. Couch in bedroom was very welcome, though not especially comfortable.

Good size rooms for location. Friendly staff

Location, and efficient staff
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

I am an Hilton Honors member and I couldn't logged on to my supposed free WiFi . WiFI should just be complimentary. Paying for WiFi is ridiculous, when you are already paying to stay in the building which you know has WiFi. It's rude

Location, and efficient staff

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

The rooms are very basic, would use some upgrade and amenities.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! And their towels! exceptionally clean and plush towels. Spacious room.

It was a good hotel, would choose it again.
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

The hallways were carpeted which made the environment look run down, the cosmetics of the hallways weren't great, but it was clean. Parking Valet services were great, but it did take 30min to get your car.

Location was great, price was good,

Near the White House

It seems a 3 stars hotel. Wi fi is not good. No rob, no shoes, no water, no mini-bar, no tea, no toothbrush and colgate in the bedrooms. They charge for wi fi if not Hilton honors member.

Near the White House

Old hotel with high price
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds (4 Adults)

The hotel is very old unrenovated, the furniture is alsi old, the rate of the room was toooo high, this hotel doesn't reflect the image of Hilton honors hotels.

Location only the location

Good place to stay in a city for a couple of days

No parking available on the street around the hotel, while the valet parking is expensive

Really enjoyed 2 days stay: the location, friendly staff, comfortable night sleep and quiet air unit.

Never again!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Requested a quiet room and was awaking by construction at 5:00am. When a customer request a quiet room and is told he is getting one, it is very disappointing at a high end hotel. I arrived at 1:30 AM and was awaking at 5:00 am. Not a good night sleep for a $400 room.

The outlets behind our bed were incredibly dusty.

The outlets behind our bed were incredibly dusty. When I plugged in chargers the first night my fingers were both coated with dust. Unfortunately, I’m extremely allergic which caused a reaction the first nights sleep. The staff were very nice though and the location was perfect. Would stay again definitely.

DC IS A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT, BUT WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, INCLUDING THE HOTEL.
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

TOILET DIDN'T FLUSH GOOD. BATHTUB DIDN'T DRAIN GOOD, BUT THEY WORKED ON IT AND IT WAS A BIT BETTER AFTER THAT. THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL, BUT IT WAS A STRUGGLE TO USE A LUGGAGE CART BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO HANDLE THE LUGGAGE FOR A TIP. WE FINALLY USED THE CART OURSELVES.

LINENS WERE GREAT. BED WAS COMFORTABLE. THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL AT THE FRONT DESK. THE VIEW SUCKED! IT WAS VERY QUIET.

The staff was very friendly and very helpful.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Nothing really. We can’t say one bad thing about our experience with capital hotel.

The staff was very friendly and very helpful. We were very pleased with the cleanliness of our room.

My stay was good except for your staff mis leading customers about the parking .

Your staff ,or front desk lie to us about parking, I asked 2 times if there was public garage parking ,over night , Saturday to Sunday. Your staff said yes there parking around the corner, well wen we arrived your staff informed me that public parking is closed at midnight Saturday. They informed us to park on the street ,or foced us to pay your $60 dollars valet parking, I think this is unfair for misleading communication ,know that there is no public parking on Sundays. I believe I shouldn't have to pay the $60 dollars. Also we had loose money in the car and it was taken from the car. The hotel keep my deposit and refused to return the funds. Unfortunately ,if there is no solution to this situation,in the near future we are going to take our business to onother hotel. Thank you and hopefully you understand me . Sincerely John Monroy

Extremely clean ,nice room , extremely comfortable bed.

The good: convenient location, quiet room, comfortable bed...
    • Executive King Room

The not so good: overpriced, worn and outdated rooms, mysterious white stains on the furniture, dirty toilet, the pipes howl when you flush the toilet and run the sink at the same time, and they tried to overcharge me by $95 per night - twice! Though they made the correction without a hassle. Check your receipt!

The good: convenient location, quiet room, comfortable bed and pillows.

GREAT!!!
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

There was hair in my sink hole of my bathroom clogging my sink up before I used the sink

I loved the hotel ambiance. The greetings by the staff. The fanciness of the hotel. the close locations to sights to be seen, and restaurants. The comfort of the nightlife there as well.

Won't choose Capital Hilton again for sure
    • Executive King Room

Leaking water from the closet and above the bed Lifts were not working Very slow Service Very poor breakfast

The location an proximity to the main city features

Excellent staff in an excellent location
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The water was cold coming out of the shower in the morning. I talked to the front desk afterwards and they said the hot water was off because they were doing work on it. It would have been nice to have been notified beforehand so I could have planned around it!

Everyone was really nice and the hotel was a great value for what I paid through booking.com. Great hamburger in the restaurant in the lobby as well.

Hotel it is ok, but the restaurant is awsome!!
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The cost of the parking is very high! Be careful and prepare yourself!

Very cosy restaurant and they served peanuts before the dinner! It was great with beer!!

Great location, price, and friendly staff - Overall a great location

1st room was in need of a good cleaning - Don't be afraid to ask for a more appropriate to your standards type room.

first room we where given was not clean and needed updating. Mentioned it to the staff and an immediate change to another room was offered. The room one floor above was outstanding. The staff was very helpful, friendly and attentive.

Nice location for touring the White House and Capital! Staff were excellent!
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

Excessive wait time for breakfast and the carpet area in the hallways was slightly soiled on our floor leaving a questionable first impression. Definitely not a deal breaker.

The people/staff were wonderful! Even though it was extremely busy our check in receptionist was very polite and patient. Nancy, server/waitress in the restaurant during breakfast was excellent despite how busy they were. Location was perfect for what we wanted to visit.

It wasn't bad but next my visit to DC, I will stay in a different hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room

I didn't like that hotel doesn't offer bottled water in a room. There no mini bar filled with water, soda or juice. Nothing. There no bathrobes or sleepers. No mini refrigerator in room where you can put a bottle of water purchased on a street.

Room was big, bed comfortable. Good location.

Great hotel at a reasonable price in DC will definitely stay again when we visit the city .
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I didn’t like that we weren’t asked at check in if we had a car to park and I was charged for valet parking but it was taken care of immediately when I inquired.

Room as very nice . The bed was very comfortable and the toiletries were a nice surprise. The closet was awesome everything we brought stayed out of our way.

Would stay again, just know what to expect. The staff can not be beat.
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

Was our first stay right in DC. We were surprised that every add on would be a pricey charge. There was no coffee or water unless you upgraded. We may be spoiled at the other hiltons we have stayed at.

The staff at the Capitol Hilton were amazing.Loved the location for our visit. 2 blocks from the white house. We were able to walk to most of the tourist attractions.

Great Location. Terrible staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The staff just wasn’t up to par at the front desk. They kept laughing at something while talking to me and didn’t help me at all.. to park at the hotel is also $60 for the night. Something to think about when booking!!!

The room and location were spectacular.. 2 or three blocks from the White House, and a little ways from the national mall. You’re a small walk to the Washington monument and museums. It’s a great location.

Clean facility. No free WiFi.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

No free WiFi. You have to purchase $14/24 hrs. Heater didn’t work in the room. We were freezing in the room. It took for a while for staff to bring blankets when I called to request.

Clean facility and staff was nice!!

My stay was excellent.

The parking. The hotel needs a parking garage. The valet parking for $60 a night is way to expensive. Especially for all the money customers pay for the rooms.

The model of the hotel, the rooms, and breakfast. The location of the hotel was perfect. It’s close to everything.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Staff didnt know what was in the room. No Fridge. No microwave. Pillows were thin and tiny. Pillows felt like they had lumps of stone in them. Matress felt like sleeping on a plank of timber. When we mentioned this to staff they just stood there chewing game and didnt seem to care. Bed turn down didnt happen till 11pm. 4 hours later than they said they'd do it. Room was very noisy. Could here everything outside all night long.

Overall, I liked my stay at the Capital Hilton.
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

I purchased the package that included breakfast and appetizers. I thought the breakfast in the executive lounge was not as good as the breakfast bar in the restaurant. The food selections were not as expansive and no spoon was available for my oatmeal. It may sound minor, but I was a little annoyed that I had to use a fork to eat my oatmeal.

Fine
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I was a little disappointed that we were required to pay an extra fee to use the spa. For what we paid, that should have been included in the room fee.

The location was great.

Was a place to lay are head in a hurry because my niece was ill in hosp but cost was to much
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Same as above also no one told me that I was gonna be paying 60 bucks for parking that’s insane I am not from the area

Are tub was broke there was no microwave in the room when we got there they had people coming up there to fix stuff and drop stuff to us when we just want to go to bed stuff should of been there and fixed

Would not be rushing back to book with Hilton again
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Overall I was dissatisfied with my stay the reception staff were Not pleasant. On arrival I was charged wrong by the staff member, on check out I realized this and I brought it to the attention of a staff member. I did bare in mind mistakes happen but the staff member was rude spoke down towards us and should have apologies when the fault fell with them she did or could not put my mind at rest over the issue fully but did without apologies sort some of the problem. One other minor thing was I dropped my phone at the side of the bed and there was dirt and also a bottle from a previous stay which are in cleanable areas in the room.

The look of the hotel and also the location was very good

Lovely hotel in great location
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Bar menu could have been more extensive, no bath robes or shower gel in bathroom and no biscuits in room

Given free toiletries due to suitcase not arriving. Good sized room and bed, great location

Good for the location
    • King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Bathroom wasn't met to my cleanliness standards. Mattress was very firm. Woke up with back pain.

Tub had a hair in it. Staff that checked us in was polite but short with us. Breakfast was delicious and well worth it at the hotel restaurant. Great walking distance to all the DC sites. Perfect location for touring and dining.

Disapointed
    • Deluxe Queen Room

- Expensive breakfast - No wifi, even if you register in the hilton club, the wifi does not work - For attending an international conference, there is no even a descent wifi connection - Even the backpackers hostel has free wifi and descent speed. I cannot stand I paid almost USD200 for each night and no wifi. - TV cannot be connected to your PC, so you cannot use it for trainign your slides...

I booked Executive King size room, but it was very small...
    • Executive King Room

I booked Executive King size room, but it was very small room! There was only two towels for two people, we asked more towels but they didn't bring it!

Overall a nice hotel, check-in counter..two thumbs way down.
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

Wifi and breakfast should have been included for the price we paid. Front desk representatives were unhelpful, rude and a pain in my ass. Better toiletries should be provided. No fridge in room.

Beds were heaven.

the hotel staff was not meeting our needs in terms of directions, locations to visit, and heating

consierge did not know any events, or areas to travel, and did not care to even find out. the room was constantly hot, not matter what temperature it was set to. asked for it to be fixed several times and it was still the same. on the hottest day of our stay the air conditioning in the room did not work and it was not turned on in the lobby/hallways. it was unbearable. my partner sat down near the couches closest to the exiting doors because there was a breeze. she felt dizzy and took off he sun glasses to lay her head down. when i woke her to check out, she left her sun glasses on the couch because she was still disoriented and they were missing within the ten minutes it took her to realize she had left them and me going to look for them. again, the front waiting area had about 10 staff working, whom none had seen the glasses get taken off of the couch. i had to replace the 165 dollar ray bans.

the breakfast bar and lunch bar was great, staff was freindly everywhere but the front desk

Staff was friendly

My toilet was dirty & the vent fell off in the middle of the night waking me up out of my sleep & my friends that were in the next room had large tears in their curtains.... I expected better because when I searched hotels this was a luxury pick & it was absolutely far from luxurious

Staff was friendly

I have stayed at many hotels in DC this was my least favorite.
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

I arrived very late at the hotel 2AM and was told the lot to park at the hotel was full and I would have to go find street parking. No recommendations of how or where to go about doing that. In the bathroom the hardware in the bathtub was falling apart and the beds were not comfortable. The next morning I realized Capitol Hilton after authorizing the entire cost from my credit card, then authorized more, Including the fee for parking I never used.

I liked how central this location was to restaurants and National Mall

My stay at Capital Hilton in D.C.

N/a

The property was excellent very clean and orderly very friendly staff and very knowledgeable. Housekeeping staff did a excellent job also cleaning the room and had towels and washcloths there in a very timely manner.

Nice room, and very good location for Sight-Seeing.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Fitness Center ist not included in standard rate and it was a little bit noisy due to thin walls, but of course this depends on the other guests. Check-in was a little weird: they offered me another room with more space and internet/breakfast included because my room was not ready yet, but I should of course pay for this. In total it would have been a bad deal for me, so I told them and, surprise, my room was ready... I guess they just wanted to sell me a more expensive room.

Nice room, and very good location for Sight-Seeing. Got free internet with a voucher during my stay.

Not bad not good

Which inside the hotel were not really clean and the room was not really comfortable

Good services and good hotel building; also the location was good.

Extremely disappointed. Checked out a few days early and stayed at another hotel.
    • Executive King Room

Horrible cold, day old coffee brought to my door first thing in the morning. No complimentary coffee. Charged 3$ for one coffee. My room was not cleaned one day

Not much

Poor representation of the Hilton Group
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The Hotel is very tired and we stayed for a five night break we had to ask to move to a quieter room away from ice machine which kept us awake at all times, thereafter new room acceptable. The bar area does not open until 4.00 pm Major overhaul required for Hilton standard

The location is perfect for Metro and tourist locations

• Deluxe Queen Room

The lady at the reception did not explain the charges made to the card on checking in, unlike the other hotels we stayed in New York and Philadelphia. We requested for bedroom slippers as the tiled floor in the bathroom was cold in winter. After 4 requests, we were told that they have no stock at the hotel. We also found a dead housefly in the shower cap provided.

The room we had was large and we had more than enough space to put our luggage. The bed was comfortable. Generally the hotel and room was clean.

DC Getaway

Besides the pricey parking epidemic in DC there's nothing to not love about this place. The beds made it all worth it.

Loved my stay at this hotel..The next time in DC I'm definitely staying here..

The staff was friendly and quick with assistance.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room service food pricing is extremely high and the food isn’t that good. I would suggest eating away from the property and saving money.

The staff was friendly and quick with assistance.

It's a Hilton, self explanatory in regards to the actual...

The Front Desk Manager, and assistant manager. Made me feel uncomfortable and were very dismissive when I checked in. For the price I paid for a 2 nights stay on NYE... I still have to pay for Wi-Fi.

It's a Hilton, self explanatory in regards to the actual room! Wonderfully clean Also in VERY close proximity to farragut north metro station.

The location was great, but the room left much to be desired.

We had booked a non-smoking room, but our room smelled as if the previous guest in the room we stayed in had smoked a considerable amount of cigarettes before our stay.

We liked the hotel’s proximity to the White House and National Mall.

Bed is comfortable.

It would be better if there could be toothbrush and toothpaste(sorry i did not find them and did not inquire on this)

Bed is comfortable. Staff especially from engineering part is really friendly. All awesome! I love to be there!

I enjoyed the size and comfort of the room, but overall the stay was mediocre.

The room faced east, and as the sun was rising it came right in through the window because the room only had sheer curtains. Also housekeeping came every morning around 8:30/9 and knocked once and then opened the door, waking us up and giving us little time to react before she barged into our room.

The bed was very comfortable and so were the pillows. The shower had good water pressure and a very large shower head.

The room was nice and spacious.
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

Parking was terrible! And I refused to pay 60 dollars for valet. I also was not told that they would charge 50 dollars extra for accidentals.

The room was nice and spacious. Lobby was very pretty. Staff was helpful.

Fabulous
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I love the layout of the rooms and the beds were so nice and fluffy.. you could literally sink into the mattress... the staff was so helpful and friendly

Stay nice, everything else not...
    • Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Although we booked an Executive Room, we were not told on check-in that we had access to the Executive Lounge and could have eaten breakfast and snacks there. Only when we ask about it on the second day, our room badges were activated so we could use this option. Although the room cost 547 USD in total, the Hotel reserved an amount of over 920 USD on my credit card opon arrival. Already during the stay we asked for the reason and were told, that they had done a wrong callculation and would correct it. On check out, the hotel took the actual cost again from my credit card and went on reserving the 920 USD. After several days without taking the reservation back I did a couple of phonecalls with the hotel, where I was told, that they could do nothing about it and I would have to speak to my bank or card. I did both and was told from both, that they could only give the money free, if the hotel took back their reservation (as I had already told the hotel....). It was really unnerving and cost me a lot of time. The staff was not helpfull at all in this matter.... I don‘t think I will book Hilton again with this story in mind.

Die Lage ist perfekt für einen Städtetrip nach Washington. Auch eine Bike-Station findet sich gleich um die Ecke. Vieles kann man zu Fuss machen. Zimmer war gross und sauber, Betten bequem.

I work in the hospitality ality business and it was not what I expected

I paid for the $159 room deluxe king and they gave us the wrong one. We had breakfast included and we needed to go back because they forgot the voucher. The valet staff was very pushy and they wanted us to park at the street. We had a really bad week due to an accident so we did not complain at all. We were very tired.

The bed was very comfortable. Servers were very friendly. Christmas tree was absolutely beautiful. Ms. Bonilla (front desk) was very helpful and kind.

Staff was really nice and helpful.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The first room I got was very noisy, dirty and frankly in bad condition. I ask to have another room (mainly because the noise did not let me sleep at night) and I got moved to another room, that was smaller but also cleaner and in better condition.

Staff was really nice and helpful. Location is really good

it was cool!

$60 over night parking was the highest rate than other hotels

Very clean, quiet and in a great spot. Off street parking wasn’t bad at all compare to the $60 parking a night

Overall a pleasant stay & I would recommend.
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

Parking was so expensive.

Beds were comfortable, room was clean & quiet. Location was good. We walked to some sites & the restaurant we ate at that night.

Space, beds, a good number of outlets.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

We did not eat in the hotel. I would suggest a min fridge for all rooms to keep waters etc cold. I would prefer half and half in my coffee vs a non dairy reamer. But a 5 star experience.

Space, beds, a good number of outlets. Very comfortable and super location.

It is a good place to stay to access DC attractions
    • Double Deluxe Queen Room

We were considering renting a car to explore further out but the cost of parking was prohibitive. Ended up moving out of the hotel for the last few days of our stay in DC to a place just as good at half the price across the river with free parking.

The location was very good. We were able to walk to all of the attractions and there were plenty of restaurants near by. The room was much bigger than expected fitting three adults easily.

Overall experience was great!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Parking. It shouldn’t cost $60 a day to park your car. If it wasn’t for the holiday weekend and the free side street parking I would have paid more than $50 to park some where. Also if I pay for the room I should be able to use the gym for free. Because of parking I wouldn’t stay at this hotel again.

Overall experience was great! The room and staff was amazing.

Enjoyed stay except for heating problems and incompentent Staff not dealing with problem

The heating did not work and the outside temperature was minus 3 to 4 degrees. We were so cold in the room. I rang for help and the lady told me she would send someone to the room to investigate. IT DID NOT HAPPEN! Next night I had to ring again and complain before somebody visited our room and confirmed heating was broken. We were supplied with a portable heater for rest of stay.

Room was large with plenty of room to move around in

I liked the breakfast and the location of the property.

The view was horrible. I was near traffic. The room wasn't clean. People knocking on my door at 4am. Called the front desk, no answer. My burberry shirt ruined by iron. Never received my points.

I liked the breakfast and the location of the property. Everything else was not pleasent at all. I don't want to stay here again. The hotel should have replaced my damged Burberry shirt.

Nice residence near to main land mark

- the price was little bit high even after discount - No free WIFI you have to pay for using it. - breakfast was not included .

- The location was very good, near to white house & national mall & public transportation. - Near to restaurants, cafes, mini markets, ATM ,, - staff was kind and helpful. - the room size was very good. - bed size was good & full toilet accessories. - free coffee machine inside the room. - too many passenger elevators and very high speed hahahhhhhhh

Browse Capital Hilton traveller photo gallery