Reviews of Carleton of Oak Park 3 stars

1110 Pleasant Street, Oak Park, IL 60302, USA

#2 of 4 hotels in Oak Park

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Location is good, staff try to be accommodating.
    • Economy Room

We stayed in the motel half of the hotel/motel combo. The room wasn't all that clean, and perhaps most memorably, the pillows were terrible. I don't tend to be very picky about bedding, but my partner and I both found them laughably uncomfortable, opting to do without rather than use them.

Location is good, staff try to be accommodating.

Hotel was fine for our one night stay and the receptionist was very helpful.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is a little tired but I suppose it is what we may have expected in an historic hotel.

We chose the hotel for the area ie Frank Lloyd Wight buildings and was not disappointed as we were so close to the fabulous architecture.

A bit misleading...
    • Economy Room

When I booked I wasn't told I would have a room in the "motor lodge." If I had known I would never have paid as much for the room.

Great place to stay in Oak Park.

No complaints.

Stayed in the motel-like rooms which were one level which I had requested. Parking was just outside the door. Location was great. Room was large. Had a small kitchen. Lots of drawer space in the room. Oak Park is quiet and not touristy. Would stay here again.

Hotel was beautiful our room was very comfortable we will be back
    • Economy Room

The front of staff seemed a little nonchalant in their service they provided.

The room was lovely and comfortable. The hotel was located within walking distance to restaurants and shopping.

Great location for public transport into Chicago
    • Economy Room

Lobby not well signed from parking and continuing problems with card keys.

Well appointed room with small kitchen and fridge so breakfast could be taken without a short, but often rainy, walk

Off the beaten path for a Chicago stay, but easy to get to once you know how.
    • Economy Room

desk person wasn't super friendly, but I was extremely exhausted and hungry when I arrived.

Food at the restaurant was fabulous, service too. Nice location once I found it. Very clean and comfy.

not good all
    • Economy Room

They put us finally in the Motel part of the Hotel. I had to call at 5.00 pm to make up my room because they forgott to do it. Found hair from other person all over the room. I definetly cannot consider this Motel as a clean.

rien

The power went out for a short time the restaurant was not very accommodating
    • Economy Room

I did not like that I was placed in an outside room I thought it was an indoor hotel they have inside and outside rooms that I was not aware of. The taps for the beer kegs in the restaurant may not have been cleaned during an exchange of kegs so when I got a beer particularly a Sam Adams it really tasted bad as if there was some type of cider type in the lines mixed with it it was very horrible. The taps for the beer kegs in the restaurant may not have been cleaned during an exchange of kegs so when I got a beer particularly a Sam Adams it really tasted bad as if there was some type of Seiter type in the lines mixed with it it was very horrible. I brought it to the attention of the bartender they gave me another taste shot of beer I said must just be me went back to my table tasted another drink of my beer still the same horrible taste so I asked for another different type of canned beverage. They brought it to me and at that point then they said it was complementary. I feel they should have dumped the first beer and poured another whole beer right there on the spot. I enjoyed many meals at other restaurants and many drinks at other restaurants after that but not at that restaurant .

Location and proximity to the L

Nice stay would propably use again in future.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

AC unit defective luckily it was cool outside so i opened the window. Was in the AC business once so I know.

Room deccor was good and so was plumping ,TV and wi fi

I felt comfortable and safe walking around the neighborhood.
    • Economy Room

I was under the impression we were going to stay inside the hotel I didn't realize until we got there that we were staying in a motel on the property it was very disappointing because the pictures show a beautiful hotel the room at the motel was the same as the picture on the site but it wasn't clear that I wouldn't be in the beautiful hotel

I felt comfortable and safe walking around the neighborhood.

Pretty bad reception for a hotel with this price tag.
    • Economy Room

The hotel tried to put me in a separate motel building across the street. When I asked for a room in the hotel itself they wanted to charge me an additional $40 excl tax. I did not agree to that and in the end I got a room in the hotel. Their comment: "you always get a room in the motel if you book online". This is not correct at all, I will be looking for a different hotel next time I'm in the area.

spacious room

NOT HAPPY
    • Economy Room

I stayed in the motor inn. The first night there I listened to my neighbor from about 11:30 PM to about 1:30 PM talking on her cell where every other phrase was 'f**k them' followed by 'I love you honey'. Then she proceeds to sing. Tried calling the front desk; no answer. Called again 1/2 hour later, the guy moved me to another room. Had to get dressed, go to the front desk at 2AM and change rooms to another room in the same motor in. I was staying a week to help out my kid who lives nearby. Room was O.K, except the coffee maker was missing a part and the clock wasn't plugged in. One day ( Easter) no one made up the bed. Last night there,I was again treated to a loud party ( sounded like it was upstairs) coming in at 1AM. I complained in the morning...was told there was no one in those rooms. Anyway...VERY THIN WALLS! Perhaps the main building is more quiet.

Nice place for breakfast, with a very pleasant waiter

Enjoyed it. Will book with them again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The WiFi password didn’t work but it wasn’t a big issue.

The location in relation to my family and nearby shops, restaurants and the park. Staff was very friendly.

Great location means we’ll stay here again.
    • Economy Room

The room was too warm, even with the radiator completely off. Pillows were very hard! Otherwise ok, but pretty high priced for what you got.

This location is ideal- you can walk to restaurants and shops or take the el to Chicago. Free parking is a plus. There was a refrigerator and a little kitchen, which was convenient.

We had a very comfortable and easy time staying at the Carleton.
    • Standard Room

The shampoo, conditioner, lotion bottles are extremely hard to squeeze and use. Clearly, if one has reserved a two-bed room, two luggage racks are needed....essential problem that can be resolved with common sense!

Beds and pillows very comfy, room temperature control excellent, spacious room.

Very difficult to park, no tv station guide, very noisy...
    • Economy Room

Very difficult to park, no tv station guide, very noisy neighbor.wasnt made aware we were not staying in the main hotel but in a 2nd floor room without an elevator.

Very good food and comfort at this Oak Park historic hotel.
    • Economy Room

As one would expect, Oak Park, being a suburb of Chicago, had lots of traffic. The parking lot is small, so you have to go to other spots if full. We got lucky and did get to park in the lot.

We stayed in one of their rooms that is not located within the actual Carleton hotel. The room had 2 full size beds, table/chairs, a room which had sink, refrigerator, microwave, a few dishes, and lots of drawer storage if you were staying several days. The bathroom was small, but appeared updated. We were right next to the parking lot and hotel. There was a very good restaurant in the hotel for dinner, and another very good restaurant in the hotel for breakfast.

Staff was very helpful!
    • Economy Room

Staff was very helpful! Location was great. Really beautiful Halloween decorations and two restaurants on site. Room was huge, room for roll away and crib.

Very nice, clean, friendly place to stay.

I don't like the policy of charging $550 to my credit card and then removing that after the Bookings charge $440 is posted. I don't think the hotel should do this especially without notifying the customer up front.

We were upgraded at no extra charge to a very nice suite.

It provided a comfortable room with a nod to the mid-century modern vibe. I would stay here again
    • Economy Room

The decor was great. We stayed in the out building of the hotel. They were from the mid 50's and the decor—even though you could tell it was new—reflected the feel of the 50's while still having the comfort of the present day. It was fantastic.

ok
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff could have been friendlier. Had to change rooms because the air conditioner did not work. This occurred late in the night. In the middle of the night they offered us a different room, but who wants to move in the middle of the night? We did move the second day. But when we checked out the clerk never mentioned the problem and no refund was offered. I am in customer service and if there was a problem with a customer that information would have been passed on and addressed in some manner. That's going above what the customer expects. That will bring repeat and new customers.

Beds were comfortable. Liked the historic place.

Great time in Oak Park. Highly Recommend
    • Standard Room

Would have liked a continental breakfast. There are two restaurants on the property. One not open for breakfast, but the other is. Didn't want any heavy fare, but would have enjoyed something light.

The location can't be beat. A few block walk to downtown Oakpark. The L train is practically at your doorstep to head to downtown Chicago, which I did. Took about 30 minutes.

It was a comfortable stay with a few hiccups.
    • Economy Room

The bathroom made me feel claustrophobic. Rusty water came out of the sink at first. There weren't any bags in the trash cans or soap to wash hands.

The beds were super comfy. We loved the kitchenette. The decor was retro and cool. It was unexpectedly quiet.

The location of the hotel was excellent since I was visiting...
    • Economy Room

I did not like to having the door of my room being accessible to the outside. That definitely has a creepy factor. The hotel is "old school" nothing fancy but absolutely adequate,comfortable, clean and affordable for this location. The staff was outstanding.

The location of the hotel was excellent since I was visiting relatives in River Forest

Would recommend
    • Economy Room

Lots of parking but spaces were small.

We were worried about being in the motel part but it was fine. Well kept and right by the hotel and tons of shops and restaurants.

Convenient and practical and clean, but furnishings very old.
    • Economy Room

Decor was very dated, had to ask for a garbage can in microwave area, noisy in Motor Lodge section, but it was cheaper than the hotel.

Restaurant and bars were open late, so we could relax after babysitting grandkids all day. Nice to be able to walk directly to downtown Oak Park shops, bookstore, and other interesting spots, including a small park, and Frank LLoyd Wright-designed church and homes.

Clean and comfortable accommodations a few blocks from the green line in a pretty neighborhood
    • Economy Room

There are no vending machines or anywhere to get food or snacks for the late, late- night munchies.

The "economy" room was clean and comfortable. There is a small kitchenette in these rooms with coffee pot, microwave and refrigerator. The hotel and surrounding neighborhood is pretty. It is a few blocks from public transit and a strip mall with Starbucks, Whole Foods and pharmacy. The staff were helpful.

This hotel has two separate buildings.
    • Economy Room

This hotel has two separate buildings. The main hotel seems lovely, but we were put in the 'motor lodge' annex. This is an old drive-in motel located down the road from the main hotel. It's not bad...but is basically just a tacky drive-in motel with 70s-era decor. Not terrible, but definitely not worth the cost.

Clean and quiet hotel
    • Economy Room

The internet connection worked only sporadically - and then very slowly. There was some confusion about our reservation (the nights not made through booking.com) and our friend's key had to be "re-programmed" four times in two days, locking him out of his room four times in two days.

Clean, clean, clean. Located near public transportation, shops, restaurants, and the pleasant sites of Oak Park. The location also meant a quiet night's sleep.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Bed and pillows very comfortable.
    • Economy Room

Driving in & out of the property was challenging. Traffic was always heavy at the nearby main road.

Bed and pillows very comfortable. And for a busy location, it was quiet at night

Okay, but past its prime
    • Economy Room

We were in the separate building with outside stairs. The room was near an alley where we heard garbage trucks early each morning. The room did not get cleaned after the second night.

The room had a small kitchen area and a table with 4 chairs, so we were able to have family come by to share pie after eating at the restaurant.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Charming hotel in a charming neighborhood!
    • Standard Room

Nothing not to like for me. It was a great stay! It is not "super modern" and perhaps some people won't like that, but I enjoyed my stay.

The bed was very comfortable, air conditioning worked well, located in a nice neighborhood with plenty of places to eat and shop nearby. Just a few minute's walk to the train. Also a few minutes walk from the Frank Lloyd Wright tour!!! Oh! Almost forgot the restaurant attached!! Very good as well!!

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Great property and location. Restaurants on site are very good.
    • Economy Room

We stayed in a motor court room. Walls are too thin, heard all of the conversations and TV from adjacent room.

Location, cleanliness, restaurants on site.

Fantastic!

The hotel is vintage and beautiful! It is in the most perfect part of Oak Park- so much to do in the area all within walking distance. Brick streets, outdoor cafes, lights hanging above the street, feels like your on vacation!

Cozy non luxurious motel
    • Economy Room

Was in motel section- did not realize from booking would be in a room w direct access to street. Room cold w no comforter, only blankets available very thin. Vending machines did not work. Room had odor when first checked in. No where to place toiletries in bathroom. Checked out one day early bc of these things

Staff very courteous, location excellent, proximity to coffee shop, restaurants

One of the most pleasant experience I've had at a hotel
    • Economy Room

There was nothing i didn't like about the hotel.

The staff were pleasant and the rooms were vary spacious. Also, the hotel was in walking distance to fine entertainment.

6.0
    Very small bathroom.
    • Economy Room

Very small bathroom. Small toilet and pedestal sink with no room to put anything down. Walls must be paper thin. We could hear every word from the guests in the neighboring room. Unit was very clean and beds were comfortable. Decorated in 60 s and 70 s vintage.

Weekend with friends.
    • Economy Room

Older hotel. Room had outside entrance. Nothing fancy. I thought it was pricey. Location and cleanliness and free parking were good.

Location was great.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

excellet location, but...
    • Economy Room

In the Annex: kitchenette and table with chairs a plus. But... hard bed, hard pillows, tiny bathroom, paper-thin walls. indifferent front desk staff. I travel here often, wanted to give it a try, maybe the main hotel is better.

great location, good shower

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Great location, large room and historic charm make for a great weekend getaway!

Front desk staff did not seem to know much about restaurants in area. No decent map to share either.

Plenty of room and a small kitchenette were nice. We were on the inside courtyard so it was quiet. This was a great location to walk to area attractions (Frank Lyold Wright house) and lots of restaurants. Lovely nearby park and historic house nearby made a long walk quite nice. Will stay here again.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Convenient to the "L"
    • Economy Room

Close to the L station (two block walk). Great things to do/places to eat in Oak Park (Frank Lloyd Wright homes, Deliah's Kitchen for breakfast, Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza).

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

Charming Intimate hotel in the heart of Oak Park.
    • Economy Room

Not enough cream and sugar packets for the coffee. They give one set per cup but would like to have had 2 per cup.

Very well decorated with high-end finishes.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Helpful staff, great location!
    • Economy Room

Not much, the unit fit all my needs for a short stay.

Great location right off down town Oak Park. Staff was friendly and helpful. I needed an early arrival and that request was greeted positively. Parking was very convenient. Anything you could want was within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Great value for a quick stay
    • Economy Room

Blankets were so thin despite the cold! We had the heater blasting all night as a result which was okay but not the best.

Comfortable - two of the front desk staffers were very friendly and helpful - allowed us a 1 PM checkout which was very thoughtful.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Very pleased with our stay at the Carleton. Will definitely be back again!
    • Economy Room

Room was a bit small, even for just two of us.

Classy place with lots of charm and convenience. Nice neighborhood close to El train to city. Comfortable, clean, quiet room.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Great stay in oak park
    • Economy Room

Able to provide early check-in so we got to the wedding on time. Staff very nice. Good email response time. Rooms clean modern decor in motor lodge section.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

Overpriced and worm on my bed.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

there was a worm on my bed, took a picture and video to the front desk, to which he responded, oh that happens. NO! not at a $198 a night it doesn't! there was no ventilation, both rooms were extremely hot.

location was the only positive

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Oak Park is super cute!

No complaints.

Very nice hotel/motel in a super cute area... everything is close/walking distance, even the train and lots of cute shops. We were able to take the train to downtown Chicago in about half an hour. Rooms were very nice and modern. Fully equipped with TV and kitchenette (although we only used the fridge). Lots of parking available in the area at no cost. Beds were comfy.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Disappointing.
    • Economy Room

We were given a key to a room in the courtyard. It was musty when we opened the door, but the real surprise was the filthy sheets on both beds! We were given keys to the room next door and again, the sheets were dirty: hair, stains, dirt. We would have left the property at that point, but it was so late at night. Management upgraded us to a room in the main building. Thankfully, the sheets were clean, but by that point we were over this hotel. The shower didn't fully commit to being a shower, so there was some water coming down from the shower head, but more coming out of the spigot. Creaky floor above us, noisy both at night and early morning. The kicked was that management seemed supremely unconcerned about all of this.

Good location in downtown Oak Park.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Live in oak park for years, excited to stay there - very disappointed.
    • Economy Room

stayed in motor-motel like room, cold, dated and uncomfortable. Heard tv next store all night.

Great location and historic building

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Good under difficult circumstances. Staff very accommodating

Great restaurants grill and Phil’s

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

It was not what I expected for the amount of money I paid
    • Economy Room

The parking lot was too far from the entrance of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Oak Park retreat

Bed was a little small for 2

Great location and very quiet location.

Great short weekend.
    • Standard Room

Room was a little tight, but comfortable.

Great location and the restaurants on site were excellent.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Will Be Back
    • Standard Room

Location. Amenities in the surrounding area.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Nice manager unexpectedly offered a rebate because of my complaints
    • Economy Room

Hair in shower; room not made up after first night!

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Extremelly friendly staff!

Extremelly friendly staff!

Located near the EL;
    • Economy Room

Doors were difficult to open; no elevator.

Located near the EL; the kitchenette; the friendly, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Bed was a bit hard,

Bed was a bit hard,

778 CBP
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was beautiful , clean and comfortable.

Best (out of two) hotel in the area.
    • Economy Room

Good, very casual restaurant and bar attached.

Very comfortable bed.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Guy at front desk was dismissive and unhelpful

Very comfortable bed.

Fantastic

Some scary people in apartments behind hotel.

Location, free parking, great staff.

Little musty

Really nice area. Hotel really nice fir its she

Variety of food. Location. Service

• Economy Room

The room was small and the bathroom even smaller. No room to put any toiletries...

The room was functional.
    • Economy Room

The motel section was dated and needs refurbishing.

Thin walls - could hear the neighboring room - room was cold...
    • Economy Room

Thin walls - could hear the neighboring room - room was cold and heater was loud

it was fine
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

could hear noise from other rooms, eg., tv/radio, water running

I love this hotel but the motor side is very uncomfortable and depressing.
    • Economy Room

The bed was so hard I couldn’t sleep. Also not enough blankets.

Hotel was in a great location and very comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pillows were not the most comfortable. To firm.

Hotel was in a great location and very comfortable. Loved everything about it.

A very good stay

None at this time

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Big spacious rooms
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great location, close to shops. Big spacious suite with seating area.

Did no make wake up call I requested.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Did no make wake up call I requested.