Reviews of Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre Hotel 3 stars

1075 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA

#64 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

• Queen Room with City View

It was our honeymoon we were put into an adjoining room where the walls were paper thin and the tv next door blasted all night - No parking - parking at a cost opposite Staff distracted didn’t fully explain the local area and the restaurants etc Hotel interior shabby Noisy from the street below even on the 9th floor - needs double glazing

Location Fireplace Staff Coffee in room

• Superior King Room

The room I stayed in was a little dark. But I liked the room so did not ask to move.

The hotel messaged me before and during my stay which was a lovely touch. The reception staff were professional and helpful. I really liked the vibe of the hotel so definitely recommend staying here.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The walk to the nearest transport. Not enough information given about the restaurant in the hotel.

Lovely room and friendly staff and free a free glass of wine on arrival.

• Superior Queen Room

I did not realize or was unaware how old the building was and how thin the walls were, definitely not sound-proof rooms. My own mistake for not reading reviews. If you're a light sleeper you may want to bring earplugs.

Liked the decor, nice private bathroom, enjoyed all the natural lighting, free cold filtered water, quick wifi, nice comfy bed.

• Queen Room with City View

Nothing i didnt like..great hotel

I liked the lobby area..very pretty decor n clean..staff was friendly n helpful..room was clean n comfortable..i asked for a mini fridge n they brought one up for me..location was great..near restaurants n shops...i will definitely be back!

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

The staff was very helpful and really nice. I loved the location of the hotel, it was very close to Union Square, bus stops and the cable car stops. And they have a wine tasting everyday at 5:30pm with live music which was great. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Double Room with City View

Walls thin for sound, could see light intro room at frame of adjoining room door.

My bed was comfortable, room with view, bright, lots of fresh air. Restaurant really cute for breakfast and happy hour lots of fun.

• Superior King Room

Room clean but small for their full price. I guess this is normal for San Francisco. Glad I booked through you! Bed very firm. To hard for me. Coffee maker only makes 1/2 cups even when you put in full cups of water! I think it’s thirsty! 🤔 I let staff know. Shower was ok. It likes to sing the song of its people! Insert your own adj here! Whine, screech etc. I did get hot water though! 👍🏼 No robe and slippers for this gal in her swanky SF room! Also Costco type dispensers for shampoo, conditioner and shower gel! 😂

Staff were awesome! Nice wine and music. Love the fireplace! Love the world type theme and conservation efforts.

• Superior King Room

Room was old and unimpressive and small. Could have used more light and the antiquated bathroom was a disappointment. Also overpriced for what was provided. As usual photos of the location misrepresent what is actually there

Friendly staff and good food in the restaurant

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location is on the edge of the Tenderloin section (many homeless),but the Street itself is fine. Can hear some noise from neighboring rooms, which is surprising given the age of the hotel. All the old plumbing is also still exposed.

Staff was terrific. Nice details like the wine hour and their restaurant food is good too. Area was also very quiet . Liked the quasi Morracan decor with great photos from Nepal, and the very large walk-in closet.

• Queen Room with City View

I was told we were able to pre-pay for parking but when I got there I was told to go to a garage down the block and they had no knowledge of my pre-pay request. I was traveling on a company card and they were told this was all handed when it was not.

It was clean and reasonably priced and with in walking distanced to my class.

• Superior King Room

Everything will be perfect if the door in room is soundproof.

Complimentary wine during everyday mini concert in lobby - awesome! Extremely kind staff. We loved design of this hotel both outside and inside. Very comfy bed.

• Superior King Room

Sound travel between rooms and as our room was next to lift shaft we had the noise of the lift. As be both sleep like logs it didn’t bother us but would others.

Great location to walk to all of different locations. Friendly staff. Quirky hotel with some history. Filtered cold water free on landing when you need it.

• Superior King Room

The area was quite noisy and I could hear everyone passing by my room!

The bed was sooo comfortable. I really liked the seating area in my room. The fireplace in the lobby area including the interior made me feel like home.

• Double Room with City View

Older building, small elevator. But overall comfortable and convenient

Room was spacious, clean, modern furniture/decor. Restaurant downstairs had good breakfast.

• Superior King Room

Heater didn't work. Queue for valet service - lack of staff/organisation at turf getting desk.

Large comfortable bed. Staff very accommodating.

• King Room with City View

I was surprised to see they didn't have an A/C unit in each room but later was advised they were qualifying for an Eco-friendly type of certification. Initially, it was a shock being that we're from Miami, yet we got used to it quickly due to the cool weather.

We travel regularly and we agreed that the service the staff provided was by far the best experience we've had. They were very professional, kind, helpful, and very attentive to details!! Thank you!

• Superior King Room

The Internet is so slow, but that's probably not the fault of the hotel as it's the case all over town. For noise avoidance, try to book a room above the 5th floor.

Is it impossible to find a decent and good value-for-money accommodation in San Francisco? The answer is, thanks to booking.com and Carlton Hotel: no! What a charming and friendly, well located place to stay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Walls are paper thin, I could literally hear my next door neighbor throwing up at 5 am for a good 30 mins and constantly flushing, we were having a regular conversation at 10 pm and front desk called and asked us to keep it down when we were not being loud at all, bed is very uncomfortable.

Convenient location, staff is super nice, clean room.

• Double Room with City View

They originally did not give me the room I paid for. I paid for a deluxe and the gave me a crappy room off the elevator and staring into someone’s apartment. No city views like described. Had to change rooms after the 1st night because people getting on and off the elevators were loud

The location was good and the rooms were nice.

• Superior King Room

Close to downtown but also a bit hard neighbourhood.

Super friendly staff, had loud neighbours. After my complaint i was switched to a good room in the top Level. Was very Kind and uncomplicated. Great!

• Superior King Room

This place was super cute and cozy, the room was very clean and best was so comfy. The staff was great, super nice guys at the front desk. Valet parking was such a plus!They also have super awesome water dispensers in all the hallways to fill up bottles with yummy clean water!

• Superior Queen Room

I stayed at this hotel and the filipinos that work there was awesome. The rooms were small and and bad smell and the noise well we wont go there. The biggest thing is we let the Valet parking park car 2017 Mercedes and when it was returned to us was badly damaged on top of hood not just scratched but paint scraped. The Owner is or was very rude to my wife but of course they refuse to fix it so I will have my insurance fight them on this matter. However being a pubic official and rep of the people and also Ambassador in My own city chamber I thought was my duty to warn you use this hotel as last choice. I will also put this hotel on my local government list and my chamber list of places not to stay I do not recommend anyone staying here unless they really need to and also its walking distance and and very dirty out front. Please beware before staying her pictures do not do hotel justice.

• Superior King Room

Area a bit tired. Didn't see any nice restaurants or bars/lounges in the immediate area

As advertised. Very clean and staff friendly and helpful.

• Queen Room with City View

This hotel is really cute and has a lot of character. The age of the hotel lends to its character, however, and it is very noisy as the walls are incredibly thin. I could hear my neighbors discussions, showers and TV's. You can hear the staff in the hallways early in the morning and their discussions as well. Admittedly, I am a light sleeper, but the noise was above and beyond the usual. The location is OK. Not a lot of services in close walking distance though it's not too far from Union Square.

Staff is great. Helpful, kind and welcoming. The onsite restaurant, Phlox Commons, is wonderful.

• Superior King Room

Unfortunately, the rooms are not well sound proofed and you can hear everything from the hallway and neighboring rooms. I was supposed to stay for 4 nights, but checked out after 1 because of the noise. For a light sleeper, this hotel was not a good fit. I ordered dinner and the crab cakes came highly recommended, but I found them to be sub-par. I also ordered a vegetable side dish which was also disappointing. Perfectly eatable, but not worth it.

Friendly staff, clean room and bathroom

Nothing at this time

Really enjoyed my stay. Room was very comfortable & clean. Staff was very helpful & courtesy. Wine & live music was great. Great place to stay.

• Superior King Room

The walls are thin. You can almost join the conversation in the next room

Rooms have character as does the hotel. The new restaurant is good and has a great wine selection. Daily wine tastings and live jazz in the lobby.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Loved the staff especially Theo - he is a delight. The only downside is that the beds were super uncomfortable. very soft - felt like we were in water beds. Other than that - the hotel location was great - happy hour is fun, loved the staff, loved the water cooler, loved that there was quiet time from 10pm - which they enforced!

• Superior Queen Room

We asked for a 'wake-up' call, we didn't get one!

David is a keen snow camper, he loves mountains & mountaineering so when he found out that Sir Edmund Hillary stayed here he was most impressed. Theo was a terrific host along with Phillip. We enjoyed happy hour.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Due to the age of the building and the various gaps in between doors there was a lot of noise of slamming doors and overheard conversations in an adjacent room.

The limitless filtered water was great. The complementary live music and glass of wine held each evening hosted by charming Theo was delightful. As a history buff I enjoyed finding out about the history of the building.

• Superior King Room

The room was on the small side but quiet. Check-in was difficult. I am the one who made the reservation and paid with my card, but they only had the name of my room mate on file. It took me a while to convince the front desk clerk to let me in the room before she arrived.

The beds were comfy. The donuts in the cafe were amazing. The location is great!

Everything! The staff was unprofessional and rude. The rooms were not clean, the next door people had a late night party, you can hear every door open and close as the walls seem to be made of paper. We had a random drunk teenager knock on our room at 3am and wake up our kids... Defenitely not a family friendly hotel. Way overpriced as well. Booking.com has this hotel rates as most popular in San Fran which is mind boggling as even our Uber driver said it was known to be a crappy hotel. We had to check in 3 times because matching the names to the rooms we had was such a complicated task apparently. While checking in, a man staying at the hotel found someone's underwear in his room and was livid, the staff was actually rude to him! I couldn't believe it!!!

• Superior King Room

No air conditioning, which was not a problem for us in winter. Although there are good ceiling fans, it would be best to be aware of this if visiting in summer.

Friendly and helpful staff on check in and checking out. Clean and comfortable room with plenty of space and a great bathroom. Fresh filtered water available in the hall and complimentary drinks in the lobby for guests. The hotel is tastefully decorated in a colourful, eclectic style. There is a large information screen and an open fire with comfortable couches in the lobby, which make for a very cosy and friendly welcome.

• Superior King Room

I didn’t like the staff who checked us in, he was very unwelcoming, serious and dull when we asked questions. (first time booking a hotel) Closet light did not work. No mini fridge. The hotel room didn’t look like the picture in the website.

I really liked the cleaning staff, they were very friendly and greeted us at all times. I liked the channels on the televisions. I liked the floor i stayed in. I liked how there were nights where people came in the lobby to sing.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We got there really early after a long flight so we went to the hotel to leave our baggage until check in and we were really happy to here our room was already ready and we could check in straight away. Staff were really nice and the room was very clean. The location was perfect

• Superior King Room

I arrived the first night at 11pm after a full day of travel, only to find out that the hotel was overbooked and they did not have a room for me. They then booked me for one night at a different hotel. By the time I arrived there it was midnight and I still had to find a place for dinner. They did take the night of my bill, but it was terribly inconvenient.

the hotel was charming and the location was great. The breakfast was excellent

• Superior King Room

Didn’t like that the parking is $35 so we parked somewhere else . Also didn’t like that there’s no mini fridge in the room

The bed and the pillows were far better than I had expected! Very comfortable, and very supportive for your neck !

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Worst was the thin walls. Could hear everything across hall in hall next door So much noise at all hours, later at night after in bed, early about 4am, hardly so let. Made dog nuts.

Restaurant at hotel was great.

• Queen Room with City View

This hotel is a gem located in lower Nob Hill in walking distance to shops and great restaurants and bars. The hotel rooms were very nicely decorated and the staff were very pleasant. I loved the fireplace in the lobby and the complimentary drinks and music entertainment every afternoon. What a wonderful atmosphere and ambience. Highly recommended

• Superior King Room

Walls seemed thin and could hear many noises from both traffic outside and adjacent rooms.

Very clean. Loved the filtered water machine on the floor. Bed was on the firm side but my partner enjoyed it.

• Superior King Room

Very poor value for money when considering what we paid for the hotel. Room was small, old and fit out was outdated. NOISY!! Walls were paper thin, we could hear the guy next door talking clearly, as well as his snoring all night. We could hear doors slamming and people walking outside the room throughout the night. We booked after reading positive reviews, but do not understand how anyone would have enjoyed staying there.

Good location.

• Superior King Room

Was not worth the money. For almost $200 a night I was expecting something special.

bed was comfortable. Location was fantastic. Wine HALF hour was fun.

• Superior King Room

They kept the very old doors of the place and you can hear everything that goes on outside. Also, there are some rooms with a separating door and that mean you can hear in to the other room. Big problem.

The staff was amazing from the front desk to the maids, very friendly and helpful. The design of the place is old meets new, vintage look with new furniture. Very nice.

• Superior King Room

The staff was very helpful and sorted out any problems. We had a great view from the room, which had a nice interior design. There is a good bakery just around the corner. The breakfast at the hotel was also delicious.

• Superior King Room

We stayed in the Superior King. The room was nice but the bed felt cheap and was not comfortable. The mattress reminded me of a college dorm mattress, with fabric over springs. The room also did not have air conditioning which is normally not an issue in San Francisco but the weekend we can it was hot.

Rooms are clean and update. The staff is also very nice and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No fridge or microwave in room

Big closets, friendly & helpful staff, great adjoining restaurant, complimentary evening wine reception with live music in lobby, water coolers on each floor, reasonable prices, clean & modern, good electrical outlets for charging, central location

• King Room with City View

Only two pillows & 1 spare (we both like 2 pillows. Only 1 dressing gown for 2 of us. House maid service was a little hit & miss: they didn't take away used glasses on one day, & on another day, a used towel was left on the bed. On the other days, everything was fine.

Friendly staff. Clean & reasonably spacious room. Large bed. Crisp bed linens.

• Double Room with City View

Thin walls - could hear next door's TV & conversations. We had really noisy neighbours who slammed their door all the time, which didn't help. 😔

Comfy beds/pillows. Very clean. Beautiful eclectic decor. Wonderful history to this gorgeous hotel. Staff fantastic.

• Superior King Room

Our adjoining door meant that out first night we didn't sleep a wink as the guests next door were extremely loud partying throughout the night. I'm sad to say that our neighbours made me feel genuinely scared to report it to front desk - when I did finally have the courage to report them to the front desk they hung up on me. I was able to move rooms the next day however the amount I paid for this place it wasn't enough - the whole day sightseeing I was absolutely shattered.

I was very excited to spend the last two days of my trip in this hotel but it sadly did not live up to expectations - considering how much I paid it felt more like a youth hostel. Only positive thing I can say was that the second night I finally slept better than the terrible experience the night before.

• Superior King Room

Payment was an issue. Despite there being no block on my card payment didn't go through. Can only guess the number had been input incorrectly and the office woman got testy when I asked her to try it again. She then asked me to fax another card details.... Fax.... It's 2017

The bar was great, nice staff

• Superior Queen Room

I can't really say I did not like the room size since they really vary based on location and property style. So yeah, no complaints.

The decor was just so well picked and set the mood for what it was. It's very cozy and the guys at the reception counter are a riot, totally awesome!

• Queen Room with City View

Good location on Nob hill. Walking distance (two blocks up hill) to the California street cable car, and also handy to other public transport. Free wine hour in the evenings, cool little restaurant bar with great food/drinks. Rooms smallish, but tidy. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

• Double Room with City View

the rooms aren't very spacious...also the city as a whole is quite expensive so it may seem that the hotel is much more expensive than hotels in NY or any other major cities.

Located in downtown area. Very easily accessible to major tourist attractions.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Weak hairdryer We were originally in a 2 double bed room and the walls were paper thin. We were moved the next day to a king room and it was perfect. The staff were amazing in accommodating us.

Live music for free everyday at 5.30pm with complimentary wine! Super helpful and friendly staff Nicely decorated Big bed in king room Spacious rooms Excellent closet space

• Queen Room with City View

Don't stay in this hotel. They have bedbugs, they know it, and they do nothing to improve the situation. I stayed 3 days in august in the room 707 and the third day in the morning I was full of bites on my legs. A dematologist confirmed that were arthropod's bites. I told to the Hotel Manager the situation and they refused to pay me a refound. It has been a really bad experience and managed in a terrible way by the hotel staff. Don't come here! (It was not an isolated case, because after this experience I checked online and other costumers had the same problem in this hotel! I can't attack the links, but if you check on google you can easily find them!)

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

Very eclectic decor..thestaff where very helpful especially Theo who went way above the line of duty.loved the live music at 5.30 and the free wine.a very special experiance

• King Room with City View

On-site restaurant we used for one evening meal but found it pretentious and pricey against other better restaurants we found locally.

No parking at this site. Only two blocks away from "interesting" area of Tenderloin and reception staff were at great pains to tell us not to "turn left outside the hotel - as it's kinda crazy down there in Tenderloin!" We found it was OK though if you just want to turn right ... and head towards Union Square with it's permanent stench of weed and endless lines of aggressive street-homeless beggars! Shape up San Francisco and help your needy homeless!

• Superior King Room

Neighborhood was sketchy. Cleaning staff yelled at me that room wasn't ready. When I told the front desk I was quickly given a suite, and room service brought up complimentary wine and chocolate. Yes, nice service, but I felt total disregard for my concern, just give me freebies to shut me up. There is just no friendliness and lack of true professionalism that you would expect for this price. Disappointed and will never stay here again.

The rooms were styled nicely.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was very hot in the city when we were there, and air conditioning was limited - I realized that this is not the hotels' fault, but did make the rooms a little warm.

The staff at this hotel are fantastic! Friendly, knowledgeable and fun. The lobby and hallways have beautiful art - enjoy! The beds were very comfy, and rooms were nicely decorated. The late afternoon live music and wine in the lobby was wonderful!

• Superior King Room

Not much to be fair. There were a few guys at the desk when I was checking in complaining that they had been waiting for their luggage for a half hour, but I had no issues here at all.

Fine for a quick 1 night stay in SF. Area was fine, I didn't feel any different walking here than I would anywhere else. There's a lovely place for a coffee & breakfast bagel just a block away, Cozy Cafe, out the door & turn right. Also a decent bar across the street open the corner, Aces Bar.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No AC made it very uncomfortable for four people staying in one room. Ceiling fan wasn't enough to cool everything down during the heatwave. Also, the front desk made me very uncomfortable during check in- asked questions like "what's your blood type?" I know it was meant to be humorous but it felt like a very inappropriate thing to ask.

Decor was nice

• Superior Queen Room

The neighborhood could be a bit sketchy in the evening. The hotel did tell us upon arrival about areas to avoid at night. We walked all over all times of day and night and managed without incident!

We only ate breakfast once at the restaurant and it was good! Would have liked to go back to try other menu but schedule too busy.

• Superior King Room

We had three people in the room and had to repeatedly ask for three towels. Our cards also wouldn't work multiple times so we had to return to reception.

The staff! All of the staff were friendly, helpful.

• Superior King Room

Not especially good value for money. Walls were thin - I could hear discussions next door almost word for word!!

A good location. Although on arrival staff weren't amazingly helpful, after that, all staff were very good providing a handy map for running etc. Good, clean facilities. Free wine tasting every night at 5.30 with local musicians Absolutely amazing bakery just around corner - don't miss Mr Holmes, especially the Cruffins! Great bar next door and great restaurants within easy walk.

• Superior Queen Room

Details to cleanliness. Nothing really but ie trim around beautiful elaborate could have used a scrub. Just little nothing things like that

Staff are great, warm and friendly

Location wasn't as good as I was expecting....15 minute fast walk to Union Square but quieter and bigger rooms as a result

Quirky boutique type hotel in quieter neighbourhood Very friendly and helpful staff Free wine/music at 5.30 every day

• Superior King Room

We'd read recent reviews about the noise which to us didn't seem excessive from the streets, however other guests could be heard in corridors and if they let the doors slam it was loud!

'Wine hour' everyday in the lobby, 5-6 pm with entertainment from a local musician was a bonus

• King Room with City View

Noise - around the corner from a very busy firehouse. On a warm night in SF with no air conditioning, needed to keep windows open thus able to log all the many calls for the local firehouse (7 between 11pm and 2am).

Nice breakfast, interesting decor - curiously themed on Nepalese travel posters.

• Superior King Room

Rooms were slightly on the small side and we could hear the adjoining room pretty clearly, but still great value compared to others.

Very helpful staff, clean rooms and public spaces. Nice location if you're happy to walk that little bit further!

• Superior King Room

The area was convenient but late at night there were a lot of homeless people around. Sad to see.

The rooms look liked they were recently refurbished, modern, clean and very comfortable. Good functional bathroom. The front desk staff were outstanding, great personalities, humorous and very helpful. Convenient location close to Union Square.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing bad. View was of the next building, we didn't expect a view. It was a shame that my requests for a room on a higher floor wasn't available, I made the request weeks back upon booking and was told when I arrived that only the 1st floor was left. Room could do with a more thorough clean of the carpet, especially under the bed, desk and along the edges.

Great for a short stay. Room was decent, beds were comfy and we were well looked after. Thank you for your service.

• King Room with City View

Property is quite nice but in a not so nice location - too close to Tender loin vs Union Square . At night there are streetwalkers and it is quite unpleasant Very basic amenities/services (ie no minibar, no gym, no room service) so would not reccomend if you are traveling for business

Staff was very friendly and room was clean and pleasant

• Superior King Room

Very nice hotel in a good location. Room was exceptionally clean, stylish and very comfortable. Staff extremely personable and helpful. The happy hour free wine was a great touch.

• Superior King Room

Older hotel, so the thinner walls weren't a huge surprise, and unfortunately we had a fussy baby in the room next to us. If it weren't for the crying, however, I doubt noise would have been an issue. We ate dinner in the little restaurant downstairs since nothing close by was sounding all that great, and wasn't super impressed by any aspect of it, especially the lack of diverse meatless menu items - not sure how affiliated with the hotel they actually are. Paid close to $40 for overnight parking, but I guess you can't really escape that in the city.

Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful - I was a bit of an airhead upon check-in and the staff was fantastic about not making me feel bad about it (MUCH appreciated after a long day). Loved the decor and feel of the entire place. Wifi was very fast, which was appreciated for an online video lecture that had to be taken during our one night stay. The shower/tub combo had pre-installed soap/shampoo/conditioner dispensers, and a bath mat was tucked under the sink for us to use if needed. The room itself was very spacious, had a fantastic ceiling fan and a gigantic walk-in closet. Spacious drop-off in front of the hotel (off the street) that allowed for close-by unloading of the car and quick access to the valet was also a huge plus since on-site parking wasn't possible.