Reviews of Carmel Mission Inn & Fuse Lounge Café 3 stars

3665 Rio Road, Carmel, CA 93923, USA

#29 of 44 hotels in Carmel

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

When I specifically left the Do Not Disturb hanging on the doorknob when we left for the day and it was ignored - the housekeeping staff coming in anyway and cleaning

Location to Carmel and Big Sur

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Nice hotel, clean rooms, great location close to downtown although we ended up driving or ubering into town as it was a bit of a walk. Was a good value as well.

Price, outdated facilities, high pet fee of $75 per pet, construcion and close to highway, depressingly old restaurant

Clean, location is convenient though not necessarily quaint, pool and spa seem nice though didn't use

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It was very clean very quiet staff was nice and friendly pool and jacuzzi very clean security was great passed 10pm delt safe and cozy me and my little family stay here everytime we come visit carmel and it's very convenient close to a gas station and Safeway and starbucks who doesn't like starbucks

Though no fault of the hotel, the road construction made it difficult to get across the street to the shopping center where the restaurants and coffee shops are.

The bed and pillows were so comfortable. The room and bathroom were very clean.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Through booking.com it states to put any special needs in online. I put disabled and found out hotel doesn't mean anything. If one needs a disabled bathroom you have to call the hotel. So I had some difficulties.

The rooms were cool, a little retro. Beds were real queen beds. Slept well. The lounge had very good food. Service was excellent. Hotel close to everything. I would stay again.

The ONLY negative thing I have to say is the wireless was spotty in our room. But seriously, everything was wonderful.

Excellent location, helpful staff, soundproof, gorgeous landscaping.

The shower was broken. As a non-driver I had to catch ubers to get into town which was inconvenient. The breakfast was very average.

The bar staff were lovely, as was the pool and the general vibe. The bed was SUPER comfy!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It was hard to find the check in desk. No clear labeling. What I thought was the check in was actually a courtyard. I met two other couples who had the same problem and entered the hotel from the back. Access to Tea in room would be nice.

The Robes were a nice touch. I like the shampoo mounted on the wall....no small bottles to hassle with.

Bathroom & carpet floor a little out of date. Fitnessroom really small & equipment out of date.

Beds are really comfortable & big enough (King size). Location is better than I thought (directly next to The Barnyard - a little shopping village with the best restaurant in town just 50ft away from the hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were travelling with my wife and our 10-month-old daughter along the Californian coast and stayed in Carmel Mission Inn for 2 nights. We really liked the place and the pool area and it was a good base to travel to Carmel Valley, Monterey, Pebble Beach and Carmel. Really enjoyed the Barnyard backdoors where you have several restaurants offering both breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also other shops (incl. grocery) and restaurants were on the other side of the street.

• King Room - Disability Access

price and room size

we paid more than others and the front desk was offering, room was very small, we were very unhappy with booking.com and the venue!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Could have used a microwave in the room. And the barn door for the bathroom didn’t close all the way.

Loved how clean and comfortable the pool area was. The decor was refreshing. The layout was well planned....everything was centralized. No long treks to get from pool to room to parking to restaurant.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I didn’t need it this time but there isn’t a microwave.

It was a family friendly hotel. It was nice and not stuffy. I did see several couples without children too. The hotel was busy but when we wanted it to be quiet, it was. We slept in and there was no noise at night. It was a great location, Carmel’s Main Street was really close and we enjoyed the beach one day. There are two shopping centers within walking distance that have both high end food choices and pizza places. There is a Starbucks across the street and a Carmel coffee company as well. The pool and the hot tub were great for the kids. Comfortable area for the adults to hang out while we watched them. There was a live band, both Friday and Saturday and people seemed to be enjoying themselves. We will definitely be back.

The noise from the lounge could be heard on the 3rd floor. It did stop by midnight on Saturday night but the front desk should notify the person staying at these rooms about noise level.

The cleanliness and comfort of our room.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking was a bit of a challenge as the property seemed to be full that weekend. Also, the door to the building that is locked after 9PM, my key would not open it so it took a bit to get in the building Friday night.

My room was very comfortable and close to the things I wanted to do in Carmel. Nice property!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It’s a nice place to stop by if you’re road tripping! You can find here anything you want after a long day: nice parking, pool and hot tub and restaurant (We didn’t go there, but they had a live music on Friday).

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The swimming pool and the jacuzzi are relatively small. They just can allow few people in.

Beds are confortable, room is clean and big enough. The location is quite a plus, there's a shopping center just across the road, where you can find good restaurants and big grocery store which sells good foods too. The decoration of the hotel is also enjoyable.

Had issues with keys both on initial check-in as well as second room. Also, upon returning to the hotel at night keys did not work to enter the building itself. Staff was apologetic but please fix issue.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I just felt overall it was vastly over priced at $300 a room per night.... it’s not in the downtown area (and most of those are less expensive!), so, you’ll either need to Uber, or drive and search for a parking spot, which are very hard to come by. It’s just pretty basic. I have to say, it feels more like a Travelodge. If you can get a cheap room, it’s a good deal, but don’t expect too much.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The suff was super friendly and the Inn is one of the best we had on our trip down from SF to LA. Really lovely pool and jacuzzi with a lovely smooth light in the evening.

The carpet is a fraying in places

The hotel is well located; From Scratch at the Barnyard complex has great breakfasts. Poke at Crossroads a great quick nutrious meal. The bed was VERY comfortable The staff were extremely nice We ventured to Point Lobos, Mission Ranch for dinner (wonderful ambience, food is just OK); Big Sur including Nepenthe for lunch and a hike in Pfeiffer State park redwoods; and the Moneterey Aquarium - all within 2.5 days.

- I booked my room on Booking but I had to call to ask for a dog-friendly room; I had to pay $75 instead of the regular $40 dollars announced because I didn't book directly on their website. I think it's a little scandalous as this is not mentioned anywhere. - The location, right next to a gas station and not in the center of Carmel (pretty close by car, though)

- the room was pretty spacious - the amenities are nice (hot tub, pool, ping pong table...) - the hotel is dog-friendly - the barn located behind the hotel is a great addition for people looking for restaurants etc

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Attitude of a manager at the reception was a bit arrogant when we arrived. Fixtures in our bathroom were were worn out and falling apart, including bathroom door that was not closing, and bathroom fan non-existent. The latter was not fun at all. Also, hotel establishes the rules and does not follow them, for example, their outside sliding doors are said to 'be locked at 9 pm' while they were not. They eagerly opened for us without our inserting the key.

Whenever asked for something from Housekeeping, received it very fast. Though, we were surprised that we did have to ask for a bar of soap because it was not brought in during the usual room cleaning maintenance.

great room. very nice shower balcony is nice to have accommodations were very nice. booked last minute and happy we choose this location. not far from downtown. looking forward to coming back to use the pool

The kitchen at breakfast is ridiculously slow. Some families actually got up and left ...and the toaster wasn't working so no toast for breakfast😡

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool Side

The pool and spa area is delightful (secluded, very pretty, beautiful flowers everywhere, comfy loungers and deckchairs, fluffy towels available); The staff could not be nicer or more helpful - the barman kindly served us our early evening cocktails in plastic beakers so that we could enjoy them by the pool and the front-desk gave us detailed and clear instructions on how to deal with the fact that the road was closed at Big Sur. Our room was spacious, airy and immaculately clean and was equipped with all necessary mod-cons. One little tip - check out "The Barnyard" which is located just behind the hotel (literally 2 mins walk) which offers quirky and quaint shops and terrific little restaurants (the "Fast Scratch" proved to be one of our best breakfasts during our 2 week stay in California !). In summary, altho' located right by the Freeway and a petrol station, once you roll down the drive into the Carmel Mission Inn you enter a lovely little world of its own, a lucious bubble of comfort, in which you can only feel like you are someone special ! It is well worth the rates and we will certainly come back !

Work must be done with the restaurant by making the look and menu more attractive.

The room was beautifully appointed. Lovely layout and really comfortable. The location, right near a plaza is just perfect. The purple pool is much fun. A very charming boutique hotel.

No complaints!

We were there for my son's wedding in Carmel. Central location and perfect for our stay, though it is a drive if you want to go to Carmel-by-the-Sea. Keep that in mind when booking.

This is a hidden gem - when I saw it from a distance behind a Chevron gas station, my hear sank. Once you pull into the parking lot you are shielded and immediately drawn in to relaxation, trendy beauty and fun quirkiness. Great location both close enough and far away enough to allow you to really feel like your embraced in it.

Had to change room , air conditioner not working. They treated me like an idiot when trying to explain to me why not working. the maids were in the room when we were trying to get our things moved out. They were going on and on about something in Spanish......probably about us......I think you either need to speak english or not at all especially in those type of situations.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Could use more electric outlets near the bed to charge devices.

Front desk person was awesome. Nice modern design to the hotel and rooms. We enjoyed the small farmers market, French bakery and shopping adjacent to the property.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Not walking distance to Carmel, located next to out of town shopping centre on Highway 1 Breakfast not included Expensive

Comfortable clean room Nice pool area open until 11pm

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I honestly can't think of anything.

The service at the restaurant for dinner was perhaps the best I've had anywhere. I felt like I was a VIP guest or at my mother's house - or maybe a combination of both.

Staff at reception were friendly and helpful. The pool and surrounds were lovely. The rooms were bright, spacious and the decor was modern and colourful. Right beside Carmel Vally.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Internet connection kept shutting off after period of non use - had to renter password in middle of night to use. Air conditioning seemed to adjust in middle of the night to a slightly higher temperature. Happy hour structure of free food and full price drinks was disappointing.

Price/value convenience Parking Room size

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No exhaust fan in bathroom. No fan on-always setting to A/C. Fans are not just for cooling; they provide white noise to insulate you from your neighbors' noise-making activities (think door closings, toilet flushings, and the sounds of intimacy) as well as the poolside crowd noise.

Attractive facility in and out. Convenient to pacific coast hwy and a handy cluster of shops across the street. I thought the Chevron station in my lap would annoy me, but it really didn't--the ingress/egress doesn't face the hotel. Friendly helpful staff. On-site restaurant food and service much better than expected. No, it isn't included in the room price.

• King Room with Balcony

Didn't got the room I booked. Ripped of with 75$ for small dog per night! unfriendly stuff - not interested demands of the guests only in their "hotel policy"

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

People shouting in the pool at 2230 PM, I had to complain with the front office, They told me pool is opened until 23, after second complaint somebody went to invite guests not to shout. With almost all rooms facing the pool it makes not sense. Too expensive for the price (not even breakfast), far from city center

Lots of green

• King Room with Balcony

Loved it. Beautiful, close to everything, and all the flowers smelled so wonderful. We will stay here again and so will others we are recommending this too.

The staff was very friendly and super helpful with recommendations and directions for local attractions and services. Every staff person always gave us a smile and a friendly greeting, even when passing in the hallways.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

WIFI was not working at the room. Luckily they have computers at the lobby. The room is a little bit overpriced

Reception staff were friendly. Hotel is quiet. The swimming pool and hot tub are very nice.

There was as strong cleaning chemical smell in our room when we entered. We were able to air out the room by opening the windows. However, since there were cars parked just outside the window we were treated to the family 'discussions' as people got in and out of their cars. The carpet and upholstery were stained and dirty. They did not appear to be clean. We avoided sitting on the chairs. We were disappointed that this was the 'deluxe' room. We did not feel welcomed nor offered a convenience by the $4 bottles of water in the room.

The bed was very comfortable and the Deluxe King Room was a little larger than your average hotel room. The bathroom was clean. The tub drained quickly, plumbing can be an issue at hotels, so we appreciated that this was not an issue here. The location was nice. It is outside of down town Carmel, but is situated between two shopping centers including the Barn Yard and a Safeway across the street. There are lots of restaurants near by as well. Parking was easy and just outside our room. The beaches and down town Carmel are just a short drive away. Monterey and Pacific Grove are also within a 20 minute drive. We didn't go swimming but people seemed to really enjoy the pool.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Rooms overlooking pool may be noisier but had nice balcony or patio. We liked our room away from noise.

Clean, quiet, comfortable room, great pool, good value buffet breakfast, short drive to Carmel town and beach but there's also a small mall with shops, restaurants and supermarket a very short walk away.

Dirty room, moquette moist. Bathroom without windows and dirty. Finishing of the room very poor. It's like the worse motel I've been in us. Unbelievable that booking can offer and rate this kind of hotel. At the end payd 500dollats for one night!!!!!!!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Television picture was not very good quality. Breakfast was lower quality than rest of hotel service.

Friendly helpful staff. Clean rooms. Great location with easy access to dining, grocery, downtown Carmel, highway.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I booked a room for 5 people and since I had stayed there before I requested a 2 queen bed room. Much to my disappointment our 2 queen bed room was very small and uncomfortable for 5 people. During my last stay the room was much bigger. The pool also did not feel completely heated. The wifi and internet connection was very poor . I would never stay there again . I paid way too much for what I received. I will never use booking.com again.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Slightly disappointed that this trip wasn't such a success with the customer service. This would of been our second time visiting Carmel Mission Inn. We were told we had to pay an extra fee. This was to upgrade. When originally that's what we requested the first floor. At the time of checking out we were being charged a bottle of water in which we did not drink. Had this been the case with no problem I would pay. This wasn't the result we had our own beverages & food.

Front end Valentina made it very pleasant to stay our first visit. Cleaniless was great they did an out standing job no doubt. The customer service we received this time was different when it came up to the front end!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

My only complaint was the noise in the pool after 10:00 P.M. It was children.

Very comfortable room, very clean, everything you would want in a hotel room. The breakfast was wonderful and in the hotel down stairs. Such a delightful hotel.

The only thing I didn't like was not being closer to the main part of town and the beach.

The rooms and grounds have been totally updated since it was a Holiday Inn. Room decor was nice. The bed was very comfortable. Everything in the room was clean and functioned as it should.

• King Room with Balcony

Breakfast buffet was sub-par. Rooms a bit small.

Great style and good location. Sweet small pool with poolside lounging. Great staff who even reprinted (lost) Aquarium tickets the second day.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

A little pricey, looks like a renovated hotel with some of the cheap things from the old hotel (like the elevator). Not much parking.

Pleasant place, good location.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

bad light bulbs. LOL sorry and yep, that is my only complaint. Not good for environment

Fabulous hotel. comfortable, visually pleasing, good food, great staff.

• Supreme King with Balcony

Pictures showed fireplace as private and closed. it was in front lobby with no privacy. Pool was not very clean. Further away from places I wanted to visit.Shower was not hot with no door. Bathroom has unique barn door doesn't close all the way and there's no locking system.

Bed was nice and big clean

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Everything ! Beautiful place. Seriously this place is designed amazingly. Great parking, beautiful room , lovely staff. AWESOME heated pool and hot tub !!! Huge comfy shower !In between shopping centers, a 2 mile drive to Carmel center but soooo worth the drive!! Will visit again!!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our car was egged overnight at the parking. The staff was notified when we were checking out and they wanted to wash the car, but we had to leave due to ferry scheduled.

Staff

Loads of flowers in a lovely garden/patio-area with an outdoor fireplace. Clean and spacious rooms, friendly and service-minded staff. We booked only the day before the stay and got a good price, which made the hotel extremely worth the price. Next door a really cute shopping area with many restaurants. Would definitely go back!

For the price you're paying the hotel should include a free breakfast.

Their desserts were really good especially the mud pie. The rokm eas nice and clean. Everything is close by (Mission Ranch, beach, etc). The Rio restaurant across the street has a great breakfast and delicious mimosas. The From Scratch restaurant right behind the hotel in the shopping center also serves a great breakfast.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Tv channels limited, picture quality wasn't great, and I pay per view options. Also, I didn't appreciate the limited hours of the restaurant and room service.

Pool was beautiful and comfortable.

The only issue I had was not with the hotel itself, but rather booking.com. When you book the hotel there is a $75 pet fee that will be applied, prior to booking it does not show that, it shows it after you have booked. Upon arriving at the hotel I found that had I book the room through the actual hotel that fee is only 40. What this means is, it is probably better to book the hotel through the actual hotel and avoid the third-party.

Definitely pet friendly

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

This is an older hotel and those who know Carmel will remember the floods in the mid 1990's. BUT. It was reatored then and remodeled again a few years ago. One can barely tell this hotel is not brand new. Cleanest I have stayed in in years. Grout in the tiled area show NO grime. Bed one of the best I have ever slept in. Breakfast fare is more than adequate. Highly recommend

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Spent 2 nights on the 3rd floor facing the pool, and it was a bad use of our money to stay here. The room is on the small side, with a very cramped bathroom. One side of the 2 queen bed is so close to the wall that it can't be used. I had to crawl to the end of the bed to get up from the bed. The room decor is drably and dated, the curtains dirty and ripped. The mini fridge is extremely small and no microwave in the room. On the first night a Friday we ate at the on grounds restaurant and the food was ok but not worth the price tag, you can get a better meal for the price in downtown Carmel. The highlight was the Bloody Mary, which did have some nice spice to it and had plenty of Vodka. After going back to our room around 9:45 a handful of guests started to use the spa and pool and were very loud. All the written and posted pool times are 9am to 10pm. By 10:40 pm they were still going strong and I called the front desk. I was then told, that the summer hours were 11pm. These are not posted anywhere. They offered no alternative for my family to get rest. In the morning we ate at the restaurant for breakfast. It was just a run of the mill buffet. Don't expect real maple syrup here, pretty cheap food, but the service was good. Saturday night more people in the pool at night, not as late but still out there. Taking a shower and leaving the bathroom door open made the smoke detector start to chirp and go off, there is no extractor in the bathroom. At check out, no one asked how my stay was or cared about how it had gone. The take away here is: This is not a place that will be quiet. Not a place where staff cares about the quality of your stay. Its way overpriced, and leaves a lot to be desired.

Easy to get to.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There was mold growing in the bathroom. The rooms are really small; the TV is smaller. The beds are very uncomfortable.

The balcony. The garden landscaping was lovely.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The front desk was uninterested in checking us in. Didn't let us know about the happy hour. Or coffee places. Ignored us while checking in. Never asked, if we needed any help with luggage.

Rooms clean and spacious. Happy hour.

For the amenities offered and the condition of the facilities it was over priced. I have stayed in nicer locations and better facilities for lesser money in the area. They charge an extra 35.00 per room for early check-in.

The hotel is nice, a little pricey for what you get. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. The facilities are wearing and are little old.

The shower drain was VERY loud, and parking was cramped.

The staff was very nice, especially Louis (very helpful and polite). The beds were extra comfortable!

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wonderful, loved this hotel! Really nice rooms, comfortable and clean. My children loved the pool, i sat comfortably watching them with a glass of wine! Mom has to be happy too! Breakfast offered a great selection Staff friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Breakfast was not great for vegetarians or people who don't like to eat carbs...

We liked the heated pool. In the morning it was cold and cloudy but our boys had a blast at the pool. We also liked the hotelbar and the band that was playing that night.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Bottles of water in the room had a $4 price tag which we - being tired from travel - didn't notice until after drinking them. Poor form. The thermostats were difficult to master.

The pool and bar were very good. The property felt clean, spacious and well maintained. Beds were comfortable. Handsoap doesn't makenor break a hotel stay, but the handsoap is worth taking home.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Website pics were beautiful but felt deceived of surroundings. Strip mall chevron Starbucks right outside window. Inn listed in a Carmel By The Sea search but actually was more Carmel or Carmel Valley, had to get in car to drive to Carmel By The Sea It was clearly awesome hotel but in wrong surroundings. Curtains were tattered.and no breakfast offering or discount, restaurant on premises too. Wished we had tub room had a very nice shower but we have a 5 year old with us.

The amenities, the pool, the staff were all very nice. Pool and hot tub area beyond amazing. Clean heated pool, cabana like areas great seating and shade options. Greenery and landscaping around hotel and privacy well executed.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The walls between rooms were very thin.

Front desk staff very nice and accommodating. The first room they gave us, had a very noisy family next door with 4 young screaming children. It was like they were in the room with us. Went straight away to ask for a room change, which they did with no problem. We arrived on a Saturday and the restaurant/bar area had a live band playing with dancing too! Restaurant on site seemed nice and did a lovely breakfast buffet. Adults were $14 USD and kids under 12 were $8. Pool and hot tub was nice and lit at night. Even included pool floats for the kids. Rooms were very large, but bathroom a bit small. Bedding basic. Apparent the hotel did a cosmetic revamp recently. They did a nice job. Lobby had great open gas fireplace. The location of hotel was convenient, right beside a shopping plaza with restaurants, shops and banks. A short 5 min. drive to the Carmel Ocean Dr. shops & beach.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Staff were coping with a town-wide blackout the evening we arrived, throughout the night and into the next morning, and did the best they could to accommodate guests and others who were being evacuated from other areas due to weather. Facilities are great - casual chic in a boutique hotel really conveniently situated. We will definitely be back!

The power went out for a full night and there were NO concessions. Not a free glass of wine, not proper emergency lighting, the staff were clearly totally unprepared for such an event, and the wait staff only had ONE flashlight between them. It was just handled so poorly. And I've yet to receive a call-back from the General Manager, Bob.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

No included breakfast. We upgraded to a room with a patio and I was shocked there was no breakfast! Beautiful hotel though.

Blue light in room was the coolest! We will be back again.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wi-Fi speed could have been better.

The place was clean staffs were friendly . I wanted to extend my checkout time to 1 PM instead of 12 PM , they gladly accepted , in fact they made the checkout time to 2 PM .. Staffs were friendly to guide you with great food location and all other help .