Reviews of Carmel Wayfarer Inn 2 stars

4th & Mission Street, Carmel, CA 93921, USA

#44 of 44 hotels in Carmel

6.2

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Disgusting, not a pleasant experience.
    • King Room with Ocean View

On arriving at 5.45pm, I asked about parking as I could see no spaces. To be told to park in the street, the spaces had gone and we were late! We were checked in by the America equivalent of Basil Fawlty. What a grumpy gent! We were given our room Key, which had been paid for in full prior to arrival. The last room. Got in the room and wanted to cry. It was a large room,over the garage, number 17. The furniture was shabby and the room looked dated! No sea view as advertised. The shower handle was hanging off the wall, the bathroom looked clean, but was not. The window ledge was filthy. The door was a nightmare to lock, I did not feel at all safe! The stairs up was the only way in / out, so in the case of a fire, we would have been in a death trap. So, all in all, not a pleasant hotel that I would recommend.

The shower was hot. There is nothing more that was positive unfortunately.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

4.5
    Tired dated place with cheap furniture and not well maintained for the price of a stay.
    • King Room with Ocean View

Big room but lacks anything special. The furniture wasn’t tastefully old but rather second hand old and cheap. Decor was tasteless and bad. Tired looking place. Breakfast was ok

Not returning to this place!
    • Queen Room

Never stayed after opening the door to the room! What a disappointment, not at all like it is described online! Very old and dated! Moved around the corner to Hotel Carmel for $30,00 less a night for a much nicer room.

Nothing, except location was good about this place!

Over priced - and needs renovation/updating! The location and patio were the only plus.
    • Family Suite

The property is tired. Needs fresh paint, repairs to outside and inside the room. Furniture old and bashed/scuffed also dated. Blinds broken. Dirty finger prints on door to room and bathroom door - needed cleaning off!!! Terrible chemical smell on mattress - like it had been treated for bed bugs or something? Couldn’t sleep - gave me a sore throat!

Not a pleasant stay.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

As room on second floor facing the street , we could not sleep well due to outside loud noise of people walking, talking ,laughing and car traffic noise....etc. Plus stuff air in the room and needed to use the fan stand pulled out from the closet. Had to look for parking on the street 。

Just the location

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

VERY unstaisfied, especially for the price I paid. Property did not meet expectations, AT ALL.
    • Family Suite

EVERYTHING! Their rooms were filthy! Smelled! Fridge wasn’t working, dead roaches and eggs in light-Bowl. Light-bowl hanging off with clear tape. Old & broken furniture, smelled like rotten wood. Shower curtain ripped, very low quality of towels, toiletries and breakfast. Generic wheat bread. Not hospitable or sanitary.

The housekeeping staff.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

The room was not ready but staff took us to room anyway we...
    • King Room with Ocean View

The room was not ready but staff took us to room anyway we did not ask. Prior person left a mess even their pj’s and Rx. Was NOT as advertised on website. Old fixtures to many stairs to room off parking lot. Felt like I was staying in the garage!! Noisy in early am prior to 8:00 am. Will never stay again!!!! Breakfast was 8/9:30 so not long enough time to enjoy. Was not worth the amount charged for room should not have been over 1/2 that amount!!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

6.0
    Interesting place to visit every 5 yrs. Bring money. If you're buying in the shops, lots of money.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

This is a Motel 6 of Carmel by the Sea and still $330. for two nights. Charge your electronics in the bathroom; the only grounded plug in the room. Broken window blind. Had to use a fan for ventilation. Complimentary breakfast is all carbs, no protein. All motels are 50% higher than out of town. Next time we'll house outside of town and drive in.

Near businesses. Great climb from the beach. Restaurants: Breakfast: Swiss and Friar Tucks is good. Dinner: prepare to have your wallet stripped: The Grill is a major rip off, they don't respect the discount from their sister stores in town. Food is ok at Flaherty's. All eating locations in town are about 20-40% higher than outside town. Parking is plentiful but plan on walking, lots of 2 hr parking.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Wouldn't go back - Overpriced
    • King Room with Ocean View

Overpriced Room was big but felt dirty. No plug in sink, shower dingy so didn't use. Clean sheets on bed but second pillows had eiderdown pillowcases on that weren't clean and dirty eiderdown on bed! Very overpriced for condition of rooms and quality of offering

Breakfast included

Total bummer- we were ripped off

Ridiculously expensive-dirty room(shutters broken and filthy). Smelled like urine, cramped with ancient beds buckling in middle. Furniture and fixtures circa 1970. Should really be shut down- looks terrible inside and out. This property is falling apart-stairs are unsafe. Should not be in business.

We had an amazing time & hated to leave. We definitely will return someday.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

The room was on the second floor and there was no elevator.

The hotel was a quaint, older building but very clean; it fit the classic, homey feel of Carmel. Coming from the LA area, it was nice to be somewhere where air conditioning wasn't needed, the air was clean and the people very friendly.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Road trip stopover in pretty Carmel
    • Executive Suite

Top of town, steep walk to beach. Bathroom could do with update. Very limited parking. Noisy neighbours, obviously hotel has no control over this.

Spacious suite. Clean and tidy. Adequate but small breakfast. Pretty courtyard.

I won’t stay here again and will double check reviews everytime I book on this site
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Wow the booking algorithm for this score is off this place is a 2 Star hotel nothing more. WiFi is garbage.

People were nice garden pretty but fireplace doesn’t work

Avoid if possible
    • Family Suite

The room was generally very tired, mattresses needs replacing. Issues in the bathroom the hot and cold wrong way round so didn't get why the hot water wasn't working, the phone didn't work. No one at the desk after 8pm. Staff very dismissive. The WiFi didn't work at all. It's only a 2 star however their prices do not reflect that. And they tried to add $60 onto my bill. All I got 'oh glad you noticed it' I'd recommend anyone to spend a little more and go elsewhere!

The room was clean and the was in a good location. The outside was well maintained and pretty. Parking is free.

Overall, great bargain for close to town.
    • Queen Room

Street noise, loud morning seagulls early in the morning made sleeping difficult.

Great location!!! Close to shops and restaurants. Front desk very friendly, clean room.

charging me twice!
    • Executive Suite

charging me twice! and totally not helping me to deal with the problem, just hang up the phone and bad attitude for communication, not recommend! You can use the same price to live in a better inn.

Great dots in s beautifully landscaped cozy little spot with great views overlooking the valley!
    • Family Suite

needed more pillows especially feathered down parking is oroblematic however the price makes up for paying for parking. location can not be beat as it is off the beaten path but walking distance to everything!

breakfast was pretty marginal so we are out most mornings fresh bakeries in the area make it easy for you to have better toppings for the oatmeal like cinnamon, slivered almonds or fresh berries manager is lovely woman who knows the area well and offers great suggestions.

The Wayfarer Inn has the Carmel charm you look forward to when visiting the area.
    • Queen Room

The room was spacious, the beds comfortable, and the location was perfect. The grounds were well maintained and the parking was convenient. Shops, restaurants, and ocean were all within easy walking distance. The front desk persons (James & Mike) were very pleasant and informative. I would definitely recommend the Wayfarer Inn and look forward to returning some time in the future.

Stinks both price and room
    • Executive Suite

Outdated and old smelling.fireplace didn't work.Not much for breakfast and you had to take your plate to the kitchen sink area.Little portable heaters for heat and a larger fan that was broken.Bathroom window would not close.

Beds where roomy.nice parking.waffles tasted good ,but you had no hot syrup that would melt the butter.

Would definitely book again if the same deal pops up!
    • Family Suite

Breakfast is continental style and with okay coffee if you are in a pinch. It does get you going for the day, but there are close coffee houses within walking distance.

Good price and location for a quick trip, loved that there was a mini fridge so I could keep my own food in the room.

Staff were really friendly and helpful.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Staff were really friendly and helpful. Great location, walking distance from everything in Carmel by the Sea. Nice little property, felt like somewhere in the Cotswolds in England which is an amazing region to visit. Free parking and a good breakfast. Big TV and a huge bed.

Disappointing stay!
    • King Room with Ocean View

The room was big but no amenities at all. Just an ice bucket. The TV mounted on the wall was facing the stairs... We had to change our position in bed to view it. The breakfast was the worst... COFFEE was cold and had waffles only to eat. Not even cream cheese for bagel. I asked the staff for any but he just said we only have butter !!! All the while I thought this was a bed and breakfast and when I booked it said OCEAN VIEW “ but it was not. So DISAPPOINTING!!!

Not a good value for the money even for expensive Carmel.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

The bathroom was almost unusable. The sink was falling off the wall, the bathroom shelf was rusty, heater rusty, shower did not work even following directions posted on wall, soap so thin we could not get suds, the furniture should have been replaced years ago, very uncomfortable bed. Very unsafe stairs to get to our room and no one on staff offered assistance.

The only good thing was the location in downtown Carmel.

Cheap and cheerful
    • One King Room with Fireplace

-noisy outside in the morning and I’m a light sleeper so was awake quite early -bed was quite hard and pillows a bit lumpy -gas fire was on in our room and we only noticed at like midnight so then we were paranoid we’d get gassed out in the night so we were testing the carbon monoxide alarm 😂

-good location -powerful shower -friendly receptionist -free parking in a car park

Great location and for price for overnight stay is fine.
    • King Room with Ocean View

Bed uncomfortable. Needs repairs around room. Shutters need dusting. Breadkfast was a bit of disappointment but you get what you pay for.

Size of room king ocean view was great.

Location was great, the guy that gave me the key was nice.
    • Queen Room

Offered my card for incidentals at check in and he said no. In the morning tried to have a warm shower but waited 20 minutes wasting water and following the signs in the bathroom. for no hot water. Mentioned it at check out and a different guy (apparently the owner) and went back to the room with him he got the water going but in contradiction to what the sign in the bathroom said. He was so rude and argumentative about it and told me that my card payment didn’t go thru last night- news to me. When I told him that I shouldn’t have to pay the full amount as I didn’t get to have a warm shower he threatens me with the police immediately with out any other conversation. Obviously I was going to pay but I had paid for a hot shower and didn’t get that so shouldn’t have to pay the full amount. I gave him another card to the same account and it went through immediately he then said to me “you shouldn’t book a hotel room with a bad credit card. Which was also really rude. As I have booked almost 10 rooms with that card this trip alone and not been notified of any problems. We have been away for over a month and staying in many different hotels and this is the first time that we have had a problem. He said “I don’t care what you write on a review we book out anyway” So I suggest you say somewhere else or don’t raise any issues because these guys don’t and won’t care.

Location was great, the guy that gave me the key was nice. Then it all went down hill!

We we're very late arriving, staff was curteous enough...

We we're very late arriving, staff was curteous enough to leave room key available to us after hours. The place was a little difficult to find in the dark, but we made it! Room was clean and close enough to everything for a reasonable price.

The location was good and in a good area.

When we first turned on the tap, the water came out brown. Looked lke coke coming out of the sink. The place is old so the rooms had a musky smell to them.

The location was good and in a good area.

Adequate for overnight but would have preferred a less shabby place.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Parking inadequate, room shabby, did not know that there where a large number of stairs to haul luggage. Window control broken off on one window. Garbage truck arrived early in morning. Furniture chipped and shabby. Bathroom adequate but shabby. Tired looking place. Morning staff rather unfriendly and I thought there were a large amount of rules and instructions.

Great location, beautiful patio and flowers. Girl who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful

We will be back.
    • Family Suite

Not things that I don't like, just things to note. As stated, the building is old so noise can be an issue if you are an early or light sleeper. Repairs are patchy so be prepared for patched walls and a little shabby (adds charm). The only thing that I can say I really wish they would start to upgrade/update are the beds. We have become spoiled with our beds so sleeping on something a little worn down gets difficult after a couple of nights.

This was the 3rd or 4th time we have stayed at Wayfarer. We love the location as we can usually get a parking spot and walk Carmel as one should if able. The patio area is lovely, the staff is friendly, and breakfast (while simple) is 1 free and 2 satisfying enough. Rooms 17 (or maybe it was 18) and 5 get you far away enough from the street that noise isn't an issue and have nice views. The hotel is old built in 29/30 and I find it to be charming.

• Family Suite

I got a bedroom with one Queen Bed an a second old steel single bed. They could not locate me in other bedroom. The bathroom door got accidentally locked and we could not use the bathroom until the morning. Imagine that! Breakfast was poorly served, they had one waffle machine and some cereal. People waiting in line to make a wafle in only 1 and a half hour breakfast time. The night table had a rudimentary big hole to pass the light cable. I would not recommend this place to a friend.

Location, price and parking
    • One King Room with Fireplace

The exterior of property is in dire need of paint and general repair.With a little TLC the property rating would dramatically improve.

Location, price and parking

We’ve stayed here several times but has been many years. Very run down & not worth the money!!
    • King Room with Ocean View

The bed was the worst ever! Mattress was like sleeping on the box spring & sheets were so scratchy I had to put on pants. Bathroom amenities were the bare minimum & cheap. No fridge or fireplace. Advertised as ocean view.. such a joke!

Not happy...
    • Family Suite

It's an old and worn out property. Absolutely not worth the money. The children's beds were falling apart! Breakfast starts late, at 8 o'clock.

Maybe the position... Not much.

Valued h hotel centrally located to everything.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Close to all the shops. You can walk around everywhere. We stayed in a room with a fireplace. Told the front desk it wasn't working and after being told they would check it out they never came. Several power plugs also didn't work and the heater wasn't working properly so the room was very cold. Overall you get what you pay for. For a value hotel it was good.

Very centrally located. Offered a limited breakfast.

The rooms are old school and has a nice charm especially the...
    • Family Suite

The breakfast isn’t vegan friendly.

The rooms are old school and has a nice charm especially the fireplace. The room is spacious and the staff was friendly and gave some good tips. The hotel is walking distance from the town center and they have parking.

Location is great, staff is friendly, room is clean, fridge...
    • Queen Room

Carmel hotels are a little overpriced in general... Breakfast room is far too little, and meal choice is very limited... waffel and toast, that is it !

Location is great, staff is friendly, room is clean, fridge in the room.

Great location in Carmel, but old and tired hotel rooms. Needs modernizing.

For the price per night ($280!): Shabby rooms. Horrible color of walls. Old bathroom, but the shower pressure was good. More than half the windows couldn't open. Stuffy room. No fan or air conditioner. Shabby vanity area with no seat.

Breakfast items were decent, plus a waffle maker. Good coffee. Great location close to Ocean Ave in Carmel. We could walk everywhere. Beds were old, but surprisingly comfortable. Clean sheets.

Run down .. we stayed away from the hotel for as many hours a day as possible.
    • Family Suite

The room and bathroom were in disrepair. There had been water damage on the floor in the bathroom and it had a 6x 6” hole. The carpet was old and musty. The furniture was dented, scratched and nothing matched. There were supposed to be two twin beds and it was a trundle bed that slid out. It had not been painted in many years. Stay away!

John at the front desk was very friendly!

It was a pleasant overnite stay, weather was perfect, sunny in the high 60’s
    • Queen Room

Parking st hotel is horrible. If you do find parking near hotel, really have to walk to any restaurant destination or you will not find another parking spot. Didn’t care for location of room, ground floor on street. Room was small but clean. Exterior of hotel needs to be cleaned up, ie, paint replace room doors.

Hotel was in an ok location. Desk staff were friendly.

Web pictures very deceiving. Clean but will not stay again in the future
    • One King Room with Fireplace

TV channel selection, breakfast was not a full continental very sparse and no real coffee creamer just packets of powder stuff no tea. Every guest I saw come in was shocked by the quality and the lack of choices. Stair railing had huge rotten pieces that looked unstable.

The bed was comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was very good

Good price for the area, clean, but definitely a budget property
    • Queen Room

Our room was right on the street and very small with a gap under the door, there definitely wasn't an ocean or garden view! Don't know how, but the hair dryer was in poor shape as previously melted around the nozzle. No additional amenities in the room. No air conditioning (don't think there's room) but a fan had been provided. The photos look great, in reality all looks somewhat tired

The room was clean, comfortable bed, furnishings were of an older style, but I guess fitted in with the area. Good free wi-fi signal. The breakfast had a better selection than most and again the breakfast sitting area was in a similar style, but works. We dealt with 3 separate people and all were helpful, friendly and efficient. Considering we were staying in Carmel, the price and location were pretty good.

Quaint stay
    • King Room with Ocean View

Not nearby the ocean, but you can catch a glimpse and pretty blue skies over the rooftops.

It was quaint & cozy with a very effective gas fireplace abd an old fashioned atmosphere. But isn’t that what Carmel is about? Clean & all basics available. Easy walk to shops & restaurants.

It was great, was only there for one night.
    • Queen Room

It wasn’t the nicest hotel but you definitely get everything you need for a great price.

The hotel in my opinion isn’t very nice. It is however cute and a great deal. Will definitely continue to stay at the inn whenever I go to Carmel.

I was disappointed as I think the place has potential but needs attention.
    • King Room with Ocean View

The hotel is tired. It could be a really nice place with the rooms being given a coat of paint, the bathrooms refreshed and the beds and coverings being replaced.

The hotel is well located.

The Sunday night price made it worth the stay.
    • Family Suite

The breakfast was all carbs except for fruit - no protein, which was surprising, not even peanut butter. The bathtub was very slippery, the bathroom tile was collapsing near the tub, and the caulking around the sink was completely unfinished. Otherwise, it was clean.

The price on a Sunday night in Carmel was the real attraction. The team member who checked us in was very friendly and helpful in helping us select a dinner establishment that evening. The location of the hotel was convenient to shops and eateries.

Our stay was adequate, place was pricey for what you get.
    • Family Suite

The bed was hard as a rock, my back is still sore. There was no iron or ironing board in the room as the description stated, we had to ask and we got a foldable board to put on a table. The only heat is the fireplace and it was difficult to get the room to maintain an average temp of 68-70, it was either cold or really hot. Breakfast was waffles, toast, english muffin, coffee, a few cereals and apples/bananas. Just older and needs to be updated and invest in good beds and larger TV's.

The location was great, walking distance to restaurants and shopping. The room size was great.

Waffles at breakfast were a nice touch.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Rooms became a little bit cold in the night

Waffles at breakfast were a nice touch. Property was very sweet, I would have liked to have stayed in the sunshine to see the lovely patio area in use.

Good location, friendly host, comfortable

see above

We arrived in torrential rain and it was hard to find the room (not the fault of the owner!) When we did, it was large and airy and comfortable, and the bathroom(not quite finished) was great

I would be difficult to recommend the Inn to friends.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Gas heater did not work properly. Temperature could not be adjusted. Heater in bathroom rusted. Dust in corners and dust on the buttom of table. Very tiny refrigerator.

Excellent location and lovely patio. Shower was Nice. Great parking. Quiet area.

The room is confortable and clean.

Breakfast.

The room is confortable and clean. The shower is very hard to adjust the temperature of water. The breakfast is too poor. The coffee finished when I was having breakfast and there was no more, the staff started to do at that time. Very unprofessional for a hotel. No hot milk, no protein option at all.

Location and price and cuustomer service
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Run down facility, bathroom ventilation, rain gutters ( we got soaked leaving down steps due to gutters not rain itself) , drainage problems( going to back parking lot the grid drain was flooded) , smoke detectors not working, very limited breakfast no fruit or oatmeal

Location and price and cuustomer service

Ok but kinda icky room.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Rust, floors with areas where they sunk, fireplace heater not working and the temp was in upper 30's and 40s. Beat up room. Holes in comforter. But, linens and towels were clean!

Good bed. Beautiful outdoor area.

Very nice rooms at a very good price for the area, in a great location with friendly hosts!
    • Executive Suite

The bathroom tub could use some caulk--it would make it look better and last longer! However, the owner's son did say that they were going to be renovating the rooms soon. The breakfast was average--not a lot of selections, but ok. Nice that free WiFi was offered, but we weren't able to access it in the evening, only in the morning (I'm guessing there was too much traffic on it in the PM).

The room was outstanding, and the staff (both John and the owner's son) were wonderful. The location was an easy walk into town. Beds were comfortable and the room was quiet.

Would not recomend nor stay here again
    • King Room with Ocean View

Very dirty, run down. didn't use the bathroom due to the mold in the shower and broken towel racks.

location . very unhappy with everything else. Would not ever stay there or recommend it to anyone

Comfortable in a great location for a reasonable price, but breakfast is lacking.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

The breakfast was all carbs. The addition of some hard boiled eggs or yogurt would be nice. And a second waffle iron would help also as it took forever waiting in line to cook your own waffle. They ran out of bananas (the only fruit I saw besides apples). That made it hard to enhance the waffles or cereal with any fruit. I also noticed that the wall rack in the bathroom was very rusted.

Comfortable and a great location with a charming patio. There was a view of the ocean from our room if you wanted to keep the blinds open despite people walking by.

Terrible!
    • King Room with Ocean View

lumpy pillows and poor bed, horrible maintenance of entire property, broken windows, room locks didn't work properly and was locked out, but was advised (on Friday) that they couldn't correct until Tuesday, small refrigerator provided with no temperature controls sitting on a piece oo furniture in the room, broken handles on the closet, bathroom painted with mismatched paint to cover damages, only shampoo/conditioner packets in ugly basket in shelf mounted above towel rack with no lotion, body wash etc....items even the most basic lodging should provide!

Clean, slight ocean view

Disappointed with quality for the price paid. Highest we've paid in 15 years visiting Carmel!
    • Family Suite

Lack of available parking spaces. Older, run- down furnishings, deferred maintenance, peeling paint-exterior and exterior.

Owner was agreeable and helpful. Especially when we needed a downstairs room when our 11 year old labrador refused to climb the stairs to second story room. Location was good.

old and worn down, but ok if newer options are booked out
    • Executive Suite

everything in the hotel needs updating, the room was clean but felt very old and worn down, the bathroom in particular needs fixing up, amenities in the bathroom (soap etc.) were not even close to acceptable, the executive suite 2 bedrooms did not have independent access to the bathroom, had to walk through one bedroom to get there

location was nice and walkable to the main area of Carmel

Water pressure in the shower was great, which is unusual at...
    • Executive Suite

Parking around the property was very difficult. Bed was not the most comfortable. Room was very dated. They say they have breakfast, but it's really more of a skimpy continental breakfast. The coffee was not good at all! Voices of people talking in the courtyard area echoed loudly in our room.

Water pressure in the shower was great, which is unusual at hotels these days. The patio was nice to sit in and enjoy your company and a glass of wine. The room we had was a suite, so it could easily sleep 4 - separate bathrooms and TVs and even shutter doors to close for separation and privacy.

Restful and nice!
    • Family Suite

The area was noisy in the a.m. Suggest the City of Carmel figure out how to quiet the hugely noisy motors on their garbage trucks. Also some hotel guests were unduly noisy in am. as the plan for hotel very open and noise travelled easily. But hotel Did respond to requests to ask noisy p.m. guests to quiet down and they do not keep on any guests about whom others complain!

The staff could not have been more welcoming or kind, nor more helpful or patient. The floor tiles abutting the bath were caving in so very much in need of being fixed. Also, oddly the several cabinets w/i room were permanently locked, so one could not put stuff inside?! Beds comfortable, particularly king sized bed.

the room was spacious and was as described when I booked it.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

I woke up with a bunch of bug bites! I’m hoping they weren’t bed bugs.... Also, the staff and another person staying at the inn were having a racially-driven political conversation during breakfast, not realizing I was there. It was discouraging to see the guest’s racist viewpoint being fueled by inn staff.

the room was spacious and was as described when I booked it.

Quaint. Good value for your money. Friendly staff.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

Room could do with some updating but it was very clean and a great deal for your money.

Staff was amazing. I had forgotten my purse in the room after checking out and they made sure they found it and kept it safe until I could pick it up.

The staff was welcoming and the comfy room with a fireplace...
    • Executive Suite

The staff was welcoming and the comfy room with a fireplace was classic Carmel by the Sea. Beautiful setting and peaceful atmosphere. I will definitely stay here again.

It was fine and was worth the price,
    • Family Suite

Breakfast was very very basic, and coffee had the name but no taste, but appreciated none the less. No fridge or microwave in room. If you have knee problems ask for first floor as its only stairs and my mom had somewhat of a hard time going up and down the steps.

Beds were nice and firm, room didntsmell like most hotel/motel rooms, was clean but would need some extra love. Old furniture but in good condition. Would of been nice to know how to work the heating the first night, only figured it out the second night. Close to city center pleasant staff

Disappointing!
    • One King Room with Fireplace

The bathroom needed some maintenance. Rust everywhere. Heater didn't work. Gas fireplace didn't work.

Good location,was in walking distance of most of downtown. Close to restaurants.

Terrific price for a nights stay in Carmel. However, you get what you pay for...
    • Family Suite

The beds were grossly uncomfortable. Very little sleep for the whole family. The king bowed in the center and one of the twin beds creaked loudly with any movement. Not one thing in room upgraded -furniture, bedding, lamp that did not work, mismatched chairs. Could hear every sound and word from guests next door.

The location was amazing. Very convenient to beach, shops, and restaurants. Outside of property well maintained.

My stay was ok. I was expecting more for a $300 room.

Very small parking area. We couldnt find parking.We parked on the street.Breakfast was very poor. They only offered coffee and toast. No fruit, eggs, juice or any type of meat.

The location was great.
    • Executive Suite

Well.. the rooms need major upgrading. The bed covers and the furniture is old and outdated. The extra comforters in the closet looked dirty. The bathroom is rusty. Corners very very dusty . We had a “suite” w a fireplace, but it didn’t work. And then! There was breakfast. Lipton tea. Old cereal and oats. Cheap bread and waffle mix that made hard waffles! And we had to put our dishes away 😊. All of these is a problem given the amount of money we paid

The location was great..

It worked out!
    • One King Room with Fireplace

BARKING DOGS! The "continental" breakfast was substandard. Stale bagels, plain wheat or white slices of bread bread with only oily tasting Margarine and a bowl of grape jelly to spread on it. There was orange juice to drink and milk for Cheerios or corn flakes . Their waffle maker was not functioning properly and folks complained about raw dough. Only two bruised apples available for fruit the first day then unripe bananas the next. Dirty plates in the stack.

The location is quite good and the building is an older charming one that with a little work could be lovely. The parking is free and although first come first serve, I had no problem with it. It is near a grocer which is convenient. The attendant on check out was helpful.

The location was great, but the advertised ammenities were lacking: no WiFi, not hot shower water
    • King Room with Ocean View

(Room 17, 12/26-12/27) 1. WiFi was not working, even when the male "rebooted" the system, it did not work 2. Breakfast was all carbohydrates (cereal, toast, waffles), and bruised bananas, no protein 3. No hot water in the shower, even after running the water for 8 minutes.

Location was wonderful.

I do not recommend unless you just need a bed to lie on
    • One King Room with Fireplace

The meager breakfast - cold cereal, bread and make your own waffles. The sparse room - no coffeemaker and cheap toiletries (1 oz shampoo in a packet). No parking (8 spaces for entire hotel) so have to park on the street which is a challenge in Carmel. Cheap 20" flat screen

The location is great!

The location is great! Just on the outskirts of everything but so easy to walk to everything! It is old but comfortable and for the price a great value!! I would come again. I read awful reviews so I was a little nervous, but it was nice!

It was an OK stay for one night, but pricey for what you received; Monterey is much more affordable
    • Queen Room

Our room was on street level and facing the street. The room was small but adequate. Breakfast was included but it was supposed to be ready at 8:00 a.m. and it was not. Hot water for tea and perked coffee were not ready and the food was less than adequate.

A good value, but parking is a nightmare.
    • One King Room with Fireplace

The pillows were hard, however I did discover one down/feather pillow in the closet. The decor is tired, and the attempt to renew, i.e. paint, was done sloppily. There are a half dozen parking spaces for about 20 rooms, and parking on the street is minimal - and remember, Carmel HAS NO STREET LIGHTS, so you're walking in the pitch dark.

The staff, in particular John, was pleasant to deal with. He had a ready smile, and had my checkout information all ready, when I came down to leave.