Reviews of Carvi Hotel New York 3 stars

152 East 55th Street, Midtown East, New York, NY 10022, USA

#157 of 415 hotels in New York

Great location.. great Staff... but that's its
    • Interior Room - No Windows

Great location. Great staff. Small rooms... Or maybe overpacked rooms. The beds (2 singles) stuck together were short(I'm 6-3).so impossible to sleep on the back.

The location was absolutely fantastic for us.
    • Interior Room - No Windows

The location was absolutely fantastic for us. Made it really easy to get all over the city. We had a good stay! I was worried not having a window would bother us but it was actually nice as it allowed us to get some rest and the room still felt spacious. The only thing was it made the room feel slightly damp. Not enough to put us off but something we noticed. Staff were great and let us check in really early! Sometimes didn’t get acknowledged when you came into the hotel though which isn’t a bad thing but did make it a little awkward sometimes as the lift is right next to the desk. Overall a really good stay for the price but definitely not a luxury hotel if that’s what you’re after. Would definitely go back!

A good find on the upper east side with reasonable prices.
    • Queen Room

I thought I saw an outdoor terrace mentioned on some reviews, but I was not told about it and never found it.

This hotel is well situated at 55th and Lex with a diner type cafe across the street and lots of restaurants and public transportation nearby. My room on the 5th floor was comfortable with lots of light and a coffeemaker.

I'll be back!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

A little on the pricey side. Please use less Febreze, air freshener, cologne or whatever it is. All that perfume makes me wonder if the towels/sheets were actually freshly washed, or just sprayed.

Very clean. Helpful, friendly staff. Comfortable. Love the rooftop terrace. Did not find the room too noisy.

A comfortable stay mid-town.
    • Queen Room

The staff was excellent. The 7th floor rooftop patio was an extra bonus, and a nice oasis from all of the hustle and bustle. The room was a decent size for Manhattan and quite comfortable.

Great place to stay...the bar pj Clark around the corner is amazing for food and old new York atmos.
    • Interior Room - No Windows

No window in the room but this made for a great sleep in a quiet room with air con..although this was occasionally noisy.

Comfy bed..clean sheets daily. Perfect position to see this fab city.

The hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful.
    • Interior Room - No Windows

The hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful. It’s small but cozy and quiet, best suited for a couple or single person visiting the area. It suited the purpose of my visit as it was close to the places I needed to go. Would stay there again if I had to.

Great find in Midtown East
    • Queen Room

I'd like to see more security by the elevator. Virtually anyone could walk in off the street and get on the elevator. Guests should be required to use their room key to activate the elevator.

This little hotel is an excellent find in Midtown East. Location is fantastic and the hotel itself is very clean and the rooms have modern updates. Rooms are quite small and very expensive, but that's to be expected. In particular, I'd like to call out the front desk attendant - Flavia - who is so friendly and helpful. She made my stay really great. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend the Carvi to friends visiting New York.

Comfortable Stay! Lovely Staff!
    • Queen Room

Being next to the terrace lounge, patrons kept slamming the door to the terrace, shaking the room walls each time. It was good that the terrace closed at 11pm, otherwise it might have been a sleepless night. Converting the lounge entry door with self close door or a soft close mechanism on the present door would reduce the noise significantly. With the room across from the elevator, hall conversation and elevator movement were easily heard in the room. The shower although stylish was tight. It might have been 60” long by 28” wide. Although these things were annoying they were not deal breakers for us.

The Carvi is reminiscent of a stylish, well maintained small European hotel — an old building with pleasant modern updates in a limited space, but well thought out for patron comfort. Situated in a sliver of a space in the middle of a Manhattan block this hotel was quiet. Do not expect palatial accommodations. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Several requests for service during our stay were handled promptly and cordially. The queen room next to the terrace lounge, provided lovely sunlight through wall to wall window. Lounge patrons could not see in room during day. The bed was very comfortable supporting my bad back well. Although the room Is small, there was ample closet space and a good size bathroom with shower.

Good location, clean and comfortable enough accommodation. A couple of small points let it down.
    • Queen Room

The air conditioning wasn’t great - it got very hot and the unit didn’t seem strong enough to cope in the warmer weather. It’s a shame free water isn’t provided, when I arrive at 11pm after a long flight it would be nice to have some fresh water to drink.

It was clean.
    • Interior Room - No Windows

I did't expect that our room will be without windows... Carvi Management, please mention in your add that there are rooms windowless. Overall, it was too expensive.

It was clean. Modern.

Excellent location and a great room!
    • Queen Room

- Lack of wardrobe and drawer space - The room were a little dated and could do with an update.

The room was of a good size (for New York) and the bathroom was too. The shower was rather powerful and there were a few bathroom amenities available. The TV had lots of channels and the coffee maker was a good touch too. There wasn’t much wardrobe space, however there was a full size iron and ironing board in the room. The safe was a decent size and could fit a lot of items in. We rang down to reception and asked for an ice bucket and it came really quickly! The roof terrace was a good touch.

Such a great location!
    • Garden Room

The mattresses might need to be changed out, some areas were sunk in. I'm sure not all are that way just mine.

Such a great location! The place is clean and perfect. I stayed in the Garden Room which was perfect for me because it was on the below ground level floor and much more private. I am definitely coming back to this hotel if I visit that area again.

Better hotels in the area for the same price and better facilities
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No security on first floor. Anybody can have access to the first floor rooms. The Midtown dinner across the hotel has poor service and food is so so.

Beautiful small hotel. Highly recommended.
    • Queen Room

Room was small as mentioned by other reviewers. All rooms in New York are going to be smaller then average. The rooms here are a little smaller than typical New York. No impact on me because I just need a place to rest.

Super quiet room. Quietest I've stayed in New York and I travel here a lot.

I’ll stay again because of the location and economy..hopefully I’ll get the room I request!
    • Queen Room

I called, emailed the hotel to see if I could move to a room with better morning light for hair makeup session. Initially told there was nothing over the phone. When my daughter arrived and requested the same, they suddenly found much better room. The maintanence man was extremely helpful and accommodating as well. All in all, I got the room we needed and theyalso accommodated us with a folding chair. We asked for. The moral of this story is ..they knew my daughter knew they had other rooms..she lives in the city. They knew I didn’t know, so ...😳

The sheets on my bed were freshly cleaned. Pillows comfortable, bathroom very clean.

Overall, a very good value for a solid accommodation in East Midtown Manhattan
    • Queen Room

Rooms could use an update.

Great location, comfy bed, quiet, adequate room, very nice, spacious bathroom, helpful front desk. Value, considering location, is very good.

Perfect little hotel with great service!
    • Garden Room

Nothing! We thought this hotel was great. It was a little out of the way, I mean it wasn't far maybe 15/20 mins to time square but walking to all of the attractions did get a little tiring!

It was perfect, great spacious room with a garden (rare in New York) and lovely big and clean bathroom. Staff were great and very helpful, getting us champagne glasses and helping us order take out to our room! Lobby was nicely decorated and everything felt modern. Would definitely recommend this hotel which we felt was a great price.

TheI would definitely stay there again. Would hope that the negatives could be improved on.
    • Queen Room

The lighting in the room was dim, no full length mirror. There was just one globe bulb in the bathroom, which is not ample lighting, especially for women. In my particular unit, the shower door was very tight and I had to pull it with both hands, as it dragged on the marble threshhold. Depending on how long you're staying and the clothing that needs to be hung or put in a drawer, you might be a little tight. Two different lamp shades -- one light, one dark. The dark one had scotch tape on it.

For a solo traveler, the space was ample. The bed was very comfortable, although I would have liked the pillow to be a little more firm. The room was clean. The staff is great, very pleasant and helpful.

Too far away from Times Square area
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The only window facing into a dark space/alleyway which made the room feel like night time 24/7 other than that could not find any fault with staff or facilities.

Room was quiet, clean and fresh.

Lovely beds
    • Interior Room - No Windows

Shower was a bit small, but it was okay. Minibar is very expensive.

The bed is so great, the pillows and blankets are so soft. The location is also good, near the metro and near restaurants.

Worth staying in for the location money
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Super tight space, small beds, worn out carpet in the rooms, no common space in the lobby to be able to spend some time out of the small room

Very clean, excellent location. Excellent maid service, clean and classy bedding and towels

Would not recommed
    • Garden Room

Had a feeling that a few random pieces of furniture were put in the room, no consideration for comfort/convenience. Tiny wardrobe: too short for a dress. No reading light: had to get out of bed to turn the light off. Had to move the bedside table to open wardrobe drawers.

comfortable bed, the room was clean

Excellent overall value.
    • Garden Room

I stayed in 'garden' room on lower level. Not much of a view but did have a small patio. However plumbing noise (water moving through pipes) could be heard periodically. Temp in room was hard to keep consistent the thermostat. No desk of business work. All first world problems. Overall facilities and room good.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Great location for upper east side destinations. Clean room. Free fast Wifi. Coffee in room.

Will never stay here again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Due to work, I travel often, which leads to at least 5 hotel stays a month. I’ve had to stay in a wide range of hotels throughout the country — never had I encountered such unprofessional staff. I can understand them being a little cranky, everyone has experienced in life a little less than ideal day. Having a one “off” interaction? Sure, I can understand that. But being greeted by sharp and loud criticism, being barked at and told I was a no-show (I’d called way in advance to say I’d be arriving late) and that there was no room available for me in the rudest of ways, was uncalled for and just the beginning of a nightmarish one-night stay. You can hear every neighboring bathroom flushing; every conversation outside the room can be heard distinctively. This room had a wall right in front of the window. It probably has’t been vacuumed since the last time they renovated. Towels were stained, the bathroom’s mirror broken, the lamp shade, too. Turning off the lights, would turn off every switch in the room, there was a little velcroed attachment to the TV (camera? No idea, I’d never seen something like this). Over all, an odd space. Being exhausted from travel, I would have dealt okay with all of these things had staff at least been welcoming. But they continued to prove their lack of courteousness. I called the front desk to ask about check out time, got the phone hung up on me twice. While checking out, it took some convincing for them to give me a receipt, then saw multiple unexpected charges on my credit card (two no-show nights, for example)... so I’ll have to keep on dealing with them and I’m not looking forward to it. Being in midtown is convenient. But there are plenty of options when it comes to hotels. Opt for a place that’s not Carvi.

Location, location, location. Very helpful & responsive staff, comfortable
    • Queen Room

Carpet a bit worn. Missed having a tub to soak after walking 8-11 miles/day but that wasn't their fault- I knew when I booked.

Excellent location near major subway lines & walking distance to many good restaurants, stores, & attractions. Staff very friendly & helpful regarding their city and quick to respond to any requests we had with our room. Heating system was quiet and worked well. Coffeemaker with coffee packets provided for our 10 day stay appreciated! Stocked mini-fridge but can use for your own food too. Room is small w/just a very comfortable bed, small desk, & desk chair. Mini closet only holds shorter shirts & 3 drawers below so will live out of suitcase too. Mediterranean restaurant next door is very good! We had room with a window & appreciated that. Too cold during our stay for rooftop garden but would be nice in nice weather. We loved the Carvi!

It was just a room only that I paid for which was what I got. The staff was polite.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like that it's just a room only with no breakfast or kitchen facility there. So you have to go out for breakfast lunch and dinner.

They had a mini fridge in the room so to cut cost I just went to the local shops and fill up the fridge so I don't have to pay for the things they stack up in the mini bar. The room was clean daily x

Location and price

Bathroom needs updating, which was pointed out to management which apologized for that. The pictures were better than reality I feel. The room was clean and the bed comfortable with a modern TV, but the room looked in need of an update. Good for a short non-romantic stay. I stayed in a junior suite that was really a basic room.

Very central location and price which was the lowest in town for a decent hotel in town.

It was ok.

No fan in the bathroom, shower stall scarily tight even for normal size individuals. Rug was worn and wrinkled. No closet. Safe required payment. No conditioner, just shampoo.

It was pretty bare bones but somewhat well maintained for the most part. Nice towels.

Again, would recommend for comfort, staff, location.
    • Queen Room

Minor problem: some of the trim in the room appeared a bit tired, but still would recommend highly.

Superior location; wonderfully quiet; most congenial staff. Greatly appreciate the free computer available to guests which is safely located in the lobby. Cozy, comfortable (bed and soft feather pillows), convenient and good price.

Very good. I will go back.
    • Interior Room - No Windows

The room we stayed at ( 304) was too small for two people. The shower was ridiculously small.

Location ,price and staff are outstanding. Excellent beds and towels.

Staff was excellent!

Room seemed much smaller than comparable rooms. Bathroom needed updating due to chipped paint around doorway and rust in tub-- otherwise the room quality was good.

Staff was excellent!!! Held our bags while we ate breakfast after checking out. Very helpful and friendly. Loved the balcony on the top floor!

Extraordinary!
    • Interior Room - No Windows

Easy access to everything. Staff is super friendly and helpful. The bed is owh so comfy!!!!! I will definitely stay here again when I visit New York! Thank you Carvi Hotel New York!

Good find in a great location.
    • Queen Room

The room was refreshed daily, but on days where the sheets weren’t changed,freshener was sprayed onto the sheets which I found overpowering and affected my breathing. Even having left a note 4 days in a row asking for them not to use the product, the one day I didn’t leave the note on the bed they used the freshener again which was frustrating.

The room was of a decent size and the bathroom clean. Although a bit of noise from the street every now and then, on the whole it was very quiet. The staff on the desk were always very helpful and warm. Location was great for all things work and play related.

The location of this hotel is excellent.
    • Queen Room

The staff were variable. There was a great lady on reception when we both arrived and departed, but other staff were pretty disinterested when we entered or exited the hotel throughout the week. It wasn't a big deal, but I just felt it was a shame. A little 'Hello, how was your day' or 'what do you have planned for today' would have made a big difference.

The location of this hotel is excellent. Closely located to several Subway Stations, it's also pretty much right next to both Central Park and Times Square, making it a great "middle" point hotel. Our bed was super comfortable, which was always welcome after long days of walking!

The Carvi Hotel is a little gem on the East Side. You have to check it out!
    • Queen Room

The bathroom could use a little attention: spakle and paint.

The staff was very pleasant, and the value for our room was amazing! I want to return when the weather is warm and sunny to check out your outside patio. Our room: 701 was a total winner!

Clean and in excellent location but not very spacious room.
    • Garden Room

The room was very clean but some cracks and signs of wear here and there showed that it had seen better days. The garden room I book wasn't very spacious either. I was travelling alone so it didn't bother me but I could see that for a couple it would feel a bit tight.

Located in a very central area of Manhattan, 15' walking from Rockefeller plaza. The staff was quite friendly and helpful and the room was very clean.

Hotel scary

Everything i lived in hotels for years this hotel if you can call it a hotel front desk rude and very nasty im disabled no help i spent over 2000 there i want to extend cos of storm the gm greg got in my face im old sick disabled vet on a cane waved me off and said leave in the blizzard we just had no help to find another hotel rude nasty this greg person this who he is hes from brazil a dirty cesspool of dirt and thieves.just like the carvi he dont know hes in america if u want a happy and safe stay dont stay at the carvi even the neighbors have stories to tell. For the sake of all things good disabled elderly vets americans dont stay at the one star carvi

Convenient location; great value
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

A bit small and no large closet or dresser; if it is 2 adults or 1 adult with small kids, it’s fine.

This is a small boutique hotel, so there is a very small lobby & no on site Restaraunt, but the room was clean & nicely furnished; beds super comfy. The midtown location is ideal, just a short walk to Rockefeller Center, Saks, Bloomingdales & more. Many nearby cafes & reasonable eateries , coffee spots.

Good location, clean but small room
    • Queen Room

Overpriced for the room we got. The room was small and was at the back of the lobby (three steps down from ground level). Carpet could have been cleaner.

The bathroom was spacious and the room was very clean. The hotel was very quiet at all hours. Had easy access to the subway and some nice restaurants around for brunch and dinners.

It was quiet (big plus for me), the bed was comfortable, the...
    • Garden Room

The garden room was on the basement level, so there was no view, which was fine with me, but if you want to have a view from your room, I'd recommend to choose other options.

It was quiet (big plus for me), the bed was comfortable, the hotel was clean, location was also great.

The Carvi understands what Hospitality means!
    • Queen Room

I was planning to visit family for the holiday weekend. I finally booked the Carvi after searching through a lot of choices for major chain hotels that did not meet my location request or price. I did not know what to expect even after reading the reviews. They were positive enough for me to take the chance. However, The Carvi exceeded those expectations as a small, boutique, travelers' hotel. It has all the amenities that you would expect with the best customer service and friendliest staff anywhere. I stay at a lot of hotels, and the Carvi could teach a few major chains about hospitality. There is a difference. Everything was clean and comfortable and the location is extremely convenient- near parking, public transportation, shopping, restaurants, coffee shops and within walking distance of major tourist attractions. The staff goes out of their way to answer any question and they make you feel welcome. It is the closest experience to a B&B in NYC. The value was exceptional. I will definitely make the Carvi my first choice when booking.

Room was amazingly clean, bed was like a cloud.
    • Queen Room

Room was amazingly clean, bed was like a cloud. Location is priceless. Thank You Lucy for being such a wonderful person from welcoming us and throughout our stay.

Went to NYC to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday it was amazing.
    • Interior Room - No Windows

The shower head was fixed and with not being very tall found it a little awkward. Would be better with a movable head.

Bed was very comfortable and was quite so easy to get some rest.

The hotel was comfortable and conveniently located. The staff was very helpful and friendly
    • Queen Room

The bathroom was clean except the shower, it had mold everywhere and the carpet in the room was a little old.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the bed and pillows were very comfortable

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Last minute booking
    • Garden Room

I thought it was overpriced for a small room in the basement of a hotel. The towels didn't dry well and seemed to repel water. There was a door to a patio, but I didn't like a door with a keyed lock on the outside of my room when I didn't know who had the key. There was no way to deadbolt either door, which made me uneasy. Also, I've never seen a smaller lobby. When we arrived, there were about 15 people in the lobby and it was uncomfortably close.

It seemed clean enough. The hotel receptionist was very pleasant.

Great location -won’t be back to stay
    • Garden Room

The staff was accommodating and polite —however the room was a little disappointing —very small and extremely tight for space. Bed was not the greatest and made for bad sleeping for me and husband. Shower was horrible —handle was broken and floor was slippery -no counter space or shelves at all for lying stuff on.

Great location, comfy bed and super helpful staff
    • Interior Room - No Windows

Lack of breakfast option there, although they were helpful in advising nearby places. Bit strange to stay in a room with no windows but we knew that going in so it wasn't a surprise.

Great location, comfy bed and decent bathroom facilities. Really helpful staff - we got help with getting a good value shuttle bus to the airport on our way back and when it was raining they offered us umbrellas :)

Not the Ritz, but a nice hotel in a great location.
    • Interior Room - No Windows

My only complaints are that the bed covers were dusty and one of the lamps were broken. Did not significantly impact the experience.

The room was nice for the size and well-decorated. The bed was very comfortable and the staff was incredibly nice. The location was also perfect, it was close enough to everything that you could walk, but not right in the middle of all the craziness.

Excellent!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Shower and bathroom were a little small but wouldn’t effect my decision to stay there again. I would recommend this place for sure.

Everything was great! Perfect room and location for our trip. We were within walking distance from everywhere we wanted to go, but also not so close that it was crowded.

Low value for your money !
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

This is a VERY small hotel, that DOES A GOOD JOB of hiding the following facts : 1) No working Air Condition(!)- "It was explained to us that it needs to be reset", but the reality is that it keeps jumping back to 68 F when you try to reset it to warm the room (and it was not (!) only a problem in our room). 2) Room with double bed is EXTREMELY small (!) - the space does not allow more than 2 small suitcases , and the beds are a Full bed and NOT queen beds. 3) The hotel does not have a lobby, actually NO amenities (!) - really just a simple one person front desk. (the lobby is the size of a kid room) 4) The hotel is DEFINITELY overrated and cost TOO MUCH COMPARED (!) to what its offers - , and compared to what you could get from other less pricey hotel nearby. I have been with my family many times in NYC this past couple of years and ALL the hotels we stayed in were much more accommodating and well geared toward a family stay. BTW, beware of getting a "Garden Room", my parents (both over 80 years old !) received a Garden Room which resemble staying in a street basement , dark room , no air condition working, with low maintenance as the shower handle was malfunctioning with no way to regulate the hot water. The next morning my parents decided to cancel their 8 days stay at the Carvey , GOT PENALIZED !! ($100 above the daily rate). They complained about the room and were treated VERY RUDELY !!! by the women at the front desk that refused their offer to stay if transferred to another room (she completely ignored the fact that they are over 80 years old). My father was a air crew member for 45 years (!) and he said that he never before was treated like that. My parents moved to the Lombardy Hotel on 56st. and paid the same money for a large King Suite, and there they received a great service, as guests should always receive. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE , NEITHER COUPLES NOR FOR FAMILY WITH KIDS OR TEENAGERS.

Only (!!) the location

The staff couldn’t have been friendlier or more accommodating!
    • Queen Room

If we had thought things through we would have requested a room not on the busy street.

I expected a bigger building and bigger room, but should have realized this was normal for New York.

Very polite and helpful stuff and overall not a big but a...
    • Queen Room

My room was just above the reception so it was a bit noisy during the day. Also Wifi signal was poor.

Very polite and helpful stuff and overall not a big but a comfy room.

I will definitely stay in this hotel again

Very tiny wardrobe.

I liked everything and this is my second time in this hotel and I plan to stay there again. Coffee machine in the room, shuttle to the airport, bath robes, spacious room, close to the subway , good neibourhood (not so many tourists as in the hotels next to Times Square ), close to the Central Park .

Perfect comfy place to stay while exploring Manhattan and having good nights of sleep.
    • Garden Room

There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there is not really an issue, because in NY you always want to eat out (imho)

The staff was really helpful. Location is close to a lot of attractions in midtown manhattan, we did a lot of them by foot. Places to eat very close too. Bike sharing rack right in front of the hotel. The hotel was the perfect place to rest after a day of sightseeing, it is surprisingly quiet there.

Good location especially if you don't spend much time in your room or on the property in general.
    • Queen Room

Carpet in room was torn in a couple areas and raised up along one of the rips. Bed and pillows not exactly the most comfortable.

Good location. Easy walking to distance to many places of interest throughout midtown. Accommodated request for a "quiet" room on a higher floor.

Pretty and cozy hotel with good location.
    • Interior Room - No Windows

The bathroom were small and you struggle a little bit in the shower.

Cozy hotel and good location. The staff were very attentive and helped us in every matter kindly. The price was a little high. I was there on the NYC marathon weekend, but I think it should be better priced in other dates. It has a lot of places to eat nearby and a Subway station near. Just get on the train and visit almost every top attraction in less than 25 minutes! I will definetively recommend this Hotel.

Great location, would stay here again.
    • Queen Room

The room was small with minimal closet space. Be prepared. Also, the parking was next door (which was nice) but we were not well prepared to bring all our stuff upstairs. Again, be prepared and you should be fine.

The room and bathroom were clean, and there appeared to be a new mattress. Additionally the staff up front was nice and helpful. The location was very good as it afforded easy access to midtown Manhattan. The parking was easy (next door) and you can pay at the hotel which was nice. Overall I really enjoyed the property.

not worth the money
    • Queen Room

small dull room. Nothing except a room at this hotel. and a terrace with worn sofas. Not worth the money at all. 2 of the staff very rude worn carpets that i tripped. grotty shower

Good cost-benefit stay. Good for senior or non english speakers
    • Queen Room

Rooms are clean but stylishwise just ok, kind of old... Poor options in minibar. No bar or similar in front desk.

Staff superfriendly, portuguese, spanish and english spoken quite comfortably. Great location One of the good options in NYC

Loved the Carvi. I would stay there again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No bar or restaurant but there are many nearby.

Great location near Lexington Avenue shops and subway. Friendly, helpful staff. Beautiful rooftop terrace with flowers.

Felt like a glorified apartment building with very grumpy doormen
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was a complete nightmare. Every interaction with them seemed to annoy and irritate them They really had the WORST customer service of any "hotel" that I have ever been to. I write "hotel", because the Carvi really just feels like an apartment building with grumpy, miserable doormen. The "lobby" is tiny with a couch, and there are absolutely no amenities to speak of. Upon check-out I was harassed by the "manager" who called me at 1:01 to get me out of the room. He literally called me every minute on the minute so I could not wrap up my packing and actually leave !! He then announced that he would be charging an extra $50 because I left 10 minutes after my 1pm agreed upon check-out time !! If this manager, Greg, I think, is in charge of training, it is easy to see why the staff is absolutely abysmal.

Location is excellent if you enjoy the Midtown-East section of Manhattan

Clean, quiet( due to no windows) ,
    • Interior Room - No Windows

The shower step is unusually high. Getting in and out the shower has to be very careful.Clean,

No window in the room. But it is very quiet and dark in the room. It is very good for sleeping in. But this room is not good for someone who is claustrophobia. May be this needs to be disclosed when booking the room.

Overall a good stay, clean room, great staff
    • Queen Room

The bathroom had a standing shower space which was fine except the door didn't keep the water from leaking out onto the floor. This was a mess and greatly annoying.

Comfortable robes

This is our second stay at The Carvi.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

This is our second stay at The Carvi. It's a small boutique hotel with reasonable rates, considering this is NYC. We lucked out on a great, quiet room. The location fits our needs: convenient for walking and close to the metro. The staff was friendly and professional.

You will be asleep as soon as you hit the mattress.

No complaints.

Most comfortable beds ever. Wished I was staying longer. Staff very helpful. Restaurant across the street was great for a late dinner. Would stay again.

Great place to stay for a business trip
    • Queen Room

Breakfast wasn't included, and there were a lack of electrical outlets in the room which made trying to charge several devices and use other appliances like the iron a bit tricky, but that's a minor quibble. Decor is a little bit dated, but it was perfectly clean and comfortable.

It was comfortable and clean, in a great location in Midtown near lots of subway stations, with great WiFi. Staff were helpful, providing a list of local restaurants/shops etc, and facilities were fine. Exactly what I needed for a business trip. I would have no qualms about staying there again.

As a native New Yorker who stayed at many establishments over the years I rate this among the best
    • Queen Room

Flavia and Lucy the two members of the hotel staff I interacted with along with a gentleman (Ruben?) who brought us ice were friendly, courteous and very efficient.

I would stay here again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Water pressure at bathroom sink was weak (in the room we stayed). Bedside lamp was missing switch to turn on-off (used wall switch).

Bed, duvet, pillows very comfortable. Bathroom and towels were nice. Quiet hotel. Had good night's sleep. Excellent location, friendly staff.

Good location, modern, clean, comfortable small hotel with friendly helpful staff
    • Queen Room

Friendly small and modern hotel. Good cheap Turkish, Korean, Chinese, Italian restaurants and pub within 3 minutes walk. No need to go too far after a big day out. Bag-was next door. Midtown location not as crazy/noisy as Times Square or further Downtown.

Not great value for NZ dollar. Seemed to look better on the net than it really was.
    • Queen Room

No milk supplied in fridge. Kettle should be mandatory. Tea should also be supplied. Wi-fi was very poor in room. Not great value for NZ dollar

Handy location helpful friendly staff. Roof area was great.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Everything.

Most uncomfortable hotel bed ever. The so called "NY Queen" bed is more like full size bed. Tiny. Windows aren't sound proof. Noisy rooms. Wifi doesn't work very well. Staff is not the friendliest. Rooms are very dated and falling apart. Carpet is disgusting. It costs way too much for the condition it is in. Only one elevator and takes forever. Location is good if you can handle the noise and traffic. Hotel needs to be seriously renovated with real queen size comfortable beds. Worst hotel bed experience to date. Bad choice for a long stay.

Thank you all the warm kind help on my New York biz trip
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing to improve, pls keep on.

The Frontiers were making us very comfortable on my business trip this time, we took over one week to live here. Excellent experience this time, thank you all.

VERY ACCOMADATING AND COMFORTABLE
    • Queen Room

i CAN'T REALLY FIND FAULT...MAYBE MOE COFFEES IN THE ROOM....

I thought the staff at the Carvi were very helpful and very nice people.It went very smoothly and we were there for a sad occasion a funeral and they made a hard situation a more pleasant stay ...THANK YOU TO THEM ALL!

Excellent hotel , very good value for money
    • Queen Room

Everything was ok, nothing bad to report.

Very friendly and helpful staff, excellent location, excellent public transportation, clean and comfortable room.

Browse Carvi Hotel New York traveller photo gallery