Reviews of Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile 5 stars

20 East Chestnut Street, Chicago, IL 60611, USA

#23 of 146 hotels in Chicago

Style and hospitality
    • Luxury King Room

I can’t think of anything that I did not like

We were there for 4th of July and got caught in a torrential thunderstorm . The staff at Sofitel greeted us with large fresh warm towels upon our return to the hotel that night. We are treated exceptionally by every employee we come in contact with: valet, fri t desk, waiters, bellmen, bartenders, etc

Bathroom was pristine, but toilet did not work.

Room was smaller than we had anticipated for the price. Furniture stained. This combined with non functioning toilet, was very disappointing to say the least. The staff, however were very prompt to remedy the toilet issue.

Bathroom was pristine, but toilet did not work. Had to call for maintenance.

First Class!

First class accommodations, professional employees, warm greeting, friendly atmosphere, outstanding location on the magnificent mile, bellmen greeting from baggage handling arriving and securing a cab very helpful. Entire stay first class.

Another wonderful experience at the Sofitel!
    • Luxury King Room

The restaurant has some challenges. They did not have enough wait staff to accommodate the number of guests. They forgot pieces of the order and were not customer focused.

From the moment we walked thru the doors, Parfait the doorman welcomed us back to the hotel. The check-in process was seamless and the reception desk knew our preferences. We loved our room location and the bed was sooooo comfy. The location is fabulous. I always feel safe walking to and from the different locations that we needed to get to. I will be back in July.

Location is great, staff were friendly but slow restaurant...
    • Luxury King Room

Location is great, staff were friendly but slow restaurant menu was limited and over priced. Overall was not value for money for 5star hotel. Had a much better experience close by for a quarter of the price.

Wonderful accommodations and fantastic service!

The service from the moment of check in was extraordinary. Baur at the front desk was friendly and accommodating. The room was beautifully appointed and we had an amazing upper floor view of the Hancock tower! Peter, the concierge was fantastic, helping us with tickets to sightseeing tours and museums as well as pointing out other areas of interest such as cool lobbies to pop into and places to eat. I would give Sofitel on the Magnificent Mile a solid 10!!!

Baur was a great front desk associate.

The overnight security was very nosey. Not pleasant when were at the lobby. Also need better breakfast.

Baur was a great front desk associate. Helpful and understanding.

Great property, great location. Will go back.

The staff at the reception could be a little more professional and attentive. I was assisted by a trainee at check-in and was mislead with some of the information provided (was told that I was upgraded and that was later reconfirmed as a false statement by another receptionist).

Great hotel, but management needs to work with housekeeping staff.

The area that needs the most work is housekeeping--I was only there for 2 days, but was not given any additional toiletries or coffees. The room was tidied, but just barely. Didn't even put all the pillows back on the bed. Very sloppy. No effort at all by the housekeeping staff. Also, each morning they are EXTREMELY noisy--slamming doors, screaming down the hall to each other, etc.

Beautiful hotel and great location.

Great place overall!

I had a flight early morning around 3am. When I was waiting for a valet outside a homeless man came asking for money. Two residents arrived and the homeless man inside the hotel, waking pass the reception saying I’m hungry please give me money until they reached the elevators. It wasn’t until I notified the receptionist where he went to deal with the situation. I have nothing against the homeless man, they should’ve had security outside for that price per night especially that late at night.

Great place overall! Would recommend.

It was really very nice 👍

As I understood that if I booked directly with the hotel I would have taken better room with view.please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m used to book with Booking.com and I’m always satisfied but this time I discovered that they don’t give us good rooms.

I loved Chicago and the hotel was nice but they didn’t accept to give me nice view. They said this is what you booked with Booking.com. I crossed the ocean and came from Lebanon so I would love to have nice view.

Perfect!

My room had a great view, it was much more spacious than I anticipated, a bathtub was an unexpected treat, and the bed was awesome. I slept like a rock which I rarely do.

Loved our time in Chicago at the Sofitel! Would absolutely choose this hotel again!
    • Junior Suite (3 Adults)

Property was beautiful and well maintained. Had an awesome waiter in the bar who provided outstanding service. Delicious coffee and croissants in the morning. Beds were very comfortable.

Poor etiquette skills
    • Luxury King Room

The staff in the restaurant was very rude and could be more polite. My room came with breakfast and when we checked in, I only received one voucher. I didn't think anything of it. When we went to breakfast, the girl said "one comes with breakfast and the other person has to pay". I said that doesn't make sense. However, I didn't want to make a scene so we sat down. I guess the supervisor comes over and says " normally we don't do this but I did you a favor and give you the other breakfast for free". We still shared breakfast because the waiter said"even though you have 2 coupons, it only comes with one breakfast". I didn't want to argue. I went to see the hotel manager and was informed that it was a "glitch" in the system and it shows 1 person at check in. I showed my reservation on my phone which shows 1 room, 1 night, 2 guests. I will not be staying here again.

The property was very clean and modern.

I will return here because of the room quality and because of the friendly and accommodating staff.
    • Luxury King Room

The fitness equipment could be better. Windows in the fitness center would make it seem more fresh and healthy.

I loved the layout of the spacious room, the light wood, the lighted mirror in the bathroom, the rain shower, the huge window, the comfortable bed and beautiful bedding, the quietness and substantial feeling of the room, the attentive staff, the cappucino in the morning and the most tastiest breakfast sandwich prepared for us as we had to rush out the door.

Responsiveness of staff, accommodating, quiet room,...
    • Luxury King Room

Our suite might not have been stayed in for some time--there was dust on a variety of surfaces upon arrival. Staff was quickly responsive.

Responsiveness of staff, accommodating, quiet room, beautiful city views, sense of luxury but still affordable. Special touches for our celebratory event were appreciated.

I love this place.

Pillows were a little firm for my taste.

I love this place. Stay here every time in Chicago. Best breakfast in town, nice rooms. The upper floors have been updated. I think they are working their way down. Great bar, great bar food. Great outside dining. The featherbeds and comforters are heavenly. Perfectly located.

My stay was absolutely perfect and I would definitely come back.

Sofitel didn't receive my booking.com reservation. It was slightly annoying that I had to wait for them to verify that I had indeed made a booking and they had to make a new booking. Staff were apologetic and kind though.

Upgraded to the top floor which was newly renovated for $20 per night. Fantastic location. Complimentary grab and go coffee and croissants.

Fabulous hotel, great food and central location.

nothing. All good.

Food is spectacular at this hotel. I highly recommend. The bathrooms are large and super comfortable. Big tub and stand up shower. Beds and bedding very luxurious. Rooms are small-ish but very, very, comfortable. Lovely hotel and very accommodating staff.

Elegant and cozy hotel in a fantastic location.

Some TV channels didn't have a strong signal. Very minor complaint.

Hotel has excellent location near Michigan Ave./Magnificent Mile full of shops and interesting restaurants. Our room was on the 18th floor with a nice city view and was very cozy on a wintry, snow evening. We loved the deep soaking tub, fluffy robe and sturdy slippers. It was my partner's birthday and he was surprised with some chocolate mousse in the room. When we came in for the evening, classical music was playing from the Bose clock radio and while a simple gesture, helped create an elegant and relaxing ambiance. Hotel staff are warm, personable and genuinely interested in providing a comfortable stay.

I will not go back to this hotel.

The room itself was mediocre. Problem with bathroom vent and the bed wasn’t comfortable. I’ve been to hotel with lower ratings that had better beds and services.

The location is in incredible, the lobby and bar are fun but I feel they are not keeping the rooms

Rough towels, lack of toiletries, no bottled water.

We are frequent visitors to the Sofitel in Chicago but I must admit I was extremely disappointed this trip. One of the things we love about the Sofitel is the luxurious bath towels and luffas. This time the towels were as rough as cardboard and truly needed to be removed from service and there were no scrub luffas for the tub. Also it is always nice to have a bottle or two of water in your room, this time there were none.

The Location and the staff ability to respond to my issues...

The room cleanliness was very bad. There was hair on my pillows - the cleaning person said it is feather but i dont believe feather would possibly reach the pillows if they were properly changed every day or before a customer checks in. Also there was white substance on the red long pillow and the cleaning person said it could be chemicals after I showed it to him. Highly doubt! and even if these things need to be inspected and changed.

The Location and the staff ability to respond to my issues quickly

The location is great!

1.when I checked in, there is no water on the desk, but the next day, they put two bottles of water on my table, so they must forgot the first day. 2.I lost my body lotion, I think it must be their stuff who took away my body lotion because nobody can enter my room except the cleaner entered my room the second day. The manager told me they will contact me after I left, but he never did! And I just found out I lost my new nail polish, when I called the hotel, they denied, said they found nothing in my room, I really suspect their stuff, maybe they think the body lotion and the nail polish do not worth a lot of money, but I think if they continue to do things like these, they will close someday definitely! 3.They did cancel my breakfast fee for my lost, but honestly, it was not as much as I spent on my body lotion, they did not contact me after I left, I am very disappointed at them, I won’t book this hotel again.

The location is great!

The perfect location for exploring Chicago.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (4 Adults)

Breakfast is very expensive. I didn’t know there was complimentary coffee available inside the restaurant. Front desk should inform guests of that upon check in.

Perfect location for exploring Chicago.

Excellent first class hotel, bar and overall surroundings a 5 star

I entertained clients until the late hours. My room was 3109 excellent as stated above. At approximately 8:45 am construction began and I woke up to loud drilling and hammering. It was a terrible experience to have to wake up to the loud noise which lasted for a half hour then it stopped and started again at 10am. At which time I had to leave the room and sat in the lobby. Overall , I thought the hotel first time visit was excellent, first class. I told this to the fella who I checked out with.

We definitely will go back.

It was our anniversary. They upgraded us to higher floor. Tho I paid for king room we got queen room which was fine. They sent us chocolate covered strawberries and bottle water. It was very nice.

I will be back!

Ginger ale cap in bar was impossible to get off. Need to have it ready to pour.

The greeting “Bonjour!” by the hostess as I entered the Cafe d’Architecture.

Stayed there four years ago and, while elegant and chic in...

Stayed there four years ago and, while elegant and chic in scale, it is down at the heels now. (Tear in curtain, fading in rug) In need of a spruce up.

Overall...this is a GREAT property. Wonderful location, nice rooms & bathroom w/tub +shower!
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room (1804) had 2 beds. On day of departure, I realized that the top portion of the bed I slept on was lumpy & elevated. Explained why my head felt uncomfortable...too elevated with pillows. Mattress needs to be looked at.

The bar was awesome.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (4 Adults)

The beds were uncomfortable. Lumpy mattress and flat pillows. No top sheets either, just a comforter. Maybe upgrade to queen beds instead of full size would be in order.

The bar was awesome. The staff was excellent.

Excellent location and friendly staff.
    • Superior King Room

N/A. If you drive, park your own car in the parking ramp just down the block-1/2 the price of the valet parking.

The staff was great--there was some sort of network outage so our check-in was delayed a few minutes. They upgraded our room and provided us with two complimentary drinks from the bar. Extremely friendly staff to boot.

Excellent hotel
    • Luxury King Room

Gym is not as well-equipped and well-maintained as may be expected of such hotel My room key did not work three times Very high room prices

Excellent location in downtown Chicago Good restaurant and reasonably priced given the high quality A nice French touch throughout the hotel

The location and facilities were excellent and will return soon.

Service in restaurant for breakfast was very slow.

Clean and spacious room with every needed amenity. Excellent lighting in entire room, especially the bathroom. The gym had excellent equipment.

I had a good stay overall parking shouldn't cost so much and don't want to be over charged
    • Luxury King Room

I didn't like that the parking was so expensive for guests and I was charged for two breakfast instead of one

The food was great the bed was real comfortable room was clean service was really excellent

They could do with a lot of customer service training in their coffe shop . They are rude
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Horrible staff at the coffee shop, very rude and totally unfriendly . I was there at 10:26am and was told that I can not have my complimentary croissant and coffee as it closed at 10:30am !! Very shocking

The reception staff Location

Comfortable bed.
    • Luxury King Room

Check-in not great, reception did not follow through on previous requests so we got a different room and he did not give us our breakfast vouchers. Service at breakfast not great. Slow and some staff not polite. Service at the bar (we sat outside) was painfully slow.

Comfortable bed. Bathroom lovely. Very clean.

It ended up being a good experience.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

TERRIBLY soft beds with huge dent in the middle. Staff offered another room but when we went to try out the beds before moving, found the same problem. Manager offered to have boards put under our mattresses & to remove pillow tops. This helped.

Attitude of staff

Not worth it

Waste of money . No bang for the buck. Trust me I'll be staying with the Hilton's And Marriot's ! This place was no good . My money was wasted . The service was less than sub par . The room was dirty . It was a trashy experience

The view

Great stay for a weekend in the city.
    • Superior King Room

The rooms were clean and well maintained. Great location with city views. Beds were very comfortable. Everything was very detailed orientated. Guest services went beyond for our special occasion stay. Everybody was very friendly and accommodating. Food at restaurants were very fresh. Workout room and bar were updated.

The service, the cleanliness,

When we checked out our total was exceeded more tan 200 hundred dlls on fees we didn't know about..so, not really what Booking.com says it costs.. Next time I will call the hotel directly.. Didn't like that at all

The service, the cleanliness,

good but the best for families.

The hotel is not the best for a family with kids. very small size rooms, there is no family rooms nor any kind of entertainment for kids or even swimming pool. water is not free, very expensive food in room service.

location is ok. Not the best for families.

Did the bike rental...easy and fun! Architectural tour..excellent. Fast and super fun Segway tour.
    • Luxury King Room

Bed was a little too soft. Cleaning smell in our first room was too strong but they gave us a different room...not a great view like the original but...no chemical smell. Good customer service saved the day!

Nice sidewalk cafe for people watching with creat french croissants and baguettes. Yum. Conviently located and an easy walk to many tourist attractions. Very close to the train that goes to Wriggley Stadium.

Don't Go It's Horrible!
    • Superior King Room

The staff was very rude. The Services was horrible. The pictures of the room online wasn't accurate the rooms are small like dorms. The food was very small portions I paid for the food vouchers they only allow you to get one thing off the menu with that anything else was extra. I complained about stains being in the bed. And there was some typa bug in my room. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a pet.

The view from our room was gorgeous, and I really loved the...
    • Luxury King Room

Absolutely Nothing! My stay was wonderful, service was great, the room was amazing.

The view from our room was gorgeous, and I really loved the marble in the bathroom.

Location, friendliness of staff, efficiency of check-in.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location, friendliness of staff, efficiency of check-in. Room was large, bathroom excellent - shower and separate bath. Walking distance to lake. Magnificent mile and good restaurants. Really enjoyed my stay

Great location but I don't think we will stay there again for the price
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (4 Adults)

Two double beds for family of four was way too small. Room was only 350sq feet. We had to upgrade to suite which was an increase of $110 plus taxes per night.

Excellent.

Althòugh parking was easy, the cost of parking with the hotel was absolutely ridiculous at $75 for overnight parking. I would suggest to other travelers that they park elsewhere and not at the hotel.

Location was superb! Loved the outdoor seating and the hotel room was small but very nice!

Perfect hotel and location for Chicago
    • Luxury King Room

Hotel was amazing. Accommodations were perfect, room was great, bathroom was great, bed was super comfy. All of the staff here are wonderful and eager to help. One of our many favorites with this hotel was the location. You are right where you need to be, just off of the magnificent mile and far enough to avoid all the traffic, but an easy (2-3 minute) walk to get to Michigan Ave. If you walk north or south from the hotel you instantly hit Rush street, which was our favorite part, with parks, restaurants and shops in both directions. Location couldn't be beat, only time we took the train was to to go the Cubs game, and we took a car to the Museum of Science and Industry, other than that you can walk everywhere from here, no need to rent a car! We know we will be back to Chicago, and we know we will be staying at the Sofitel.

It won't rock your world
    • Superior King Room

Breakfast was included with our room, but they give you a limited menu that had only a few selections and it want that spectacular. We actually left and went to a restaurant close to the property and had an awesome breakfast. There are better properties in the area in the same price point or lower.

Summer visit to Chicago
    • Superior King Room

Cannot think of a negative

Great location! Visited Wrigley Field and access to the Red Line El was close and easy to find. Did not need other transportation. Loved having coffee in the room - a big boost for getting up early.

Good Good Good

I have to say l don't have anything to add,majority of staff were friendly and l would go back

The bed was very comfortable ,hotel and room very clean and crossans excellent in the morning With the paper which l had most mornings,

Awesome Chicago trip, amazing hotel.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were in a floor facing the back of the hotel so would have liked a better view. Otherwise, perfect.

Great location, comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom, spacious room, professional staff, great bar and restaurant. Quiet floor.

First timer at sofitel hotel

No pool and the cleaning lady just came into our room one early morning without making sure if we're still sleeping or already awake

The room's decent and clean.

Lovely small hotel in center of city.
    • Luxury King Room

Total price misleading from website. Taxes should be included. Room rather small. No pool.

The bed was very comfortable. Room very quite. Complimentary coffee and newspapers in restaurant in the morning. Staff responsive to any concerns. Central location, near many restaurants.

except the location it's not worth at all
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I booked a room with city view there but the actual view even worse than who bookes without city view. And the floor lamp when we arrived was broken already. I failed to call room service cause nobody answered.

The bed is really soft and comfortable

Nice location and staff at reception and restaurant pleasant
    • Superior King Room

The room had not been cleaned by 3pm in the afternoon! There were one one large towel each and no extra pillows. No coffee facilities in the room For the money charged there should have been more.

Nice location and staff at reception and restaurant pleasant

Hard to beat accommodation in Downtown Chicago
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

From the friendly check-in to the efficient check-out everything worked to perfection. Location of the hotel is great both for shopping and sightseeing. Service is efficient and attentive. Excellent choice for staying in Downtown Chicago.

A 4+ star hotel in a great location. Good value.

Great location . Staff Michael is very helpful to fairly adjust the room rate for our upgrade to a suite based on booking.com sale rate and also complementary breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

If you have bad taste, look no further
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

I thought this hotel would be a lot nicer since it is new and the building is lovely. However, it is decorated throughout the halls with disgustingly colored carpeting, paint and art, and the room was shabby -- think used holiday inn yellowish dented furniture, orange carpet, mirrored closet doors. ug. Truly disappointing experience. Certainly not all the rooms look like this? We got a deal thru Booking.com -- do they save the crappy rooms for those trying to save some money? Will.not.return.

The sheets were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Great place for a stay in Chicago.
    • Luxury King Room

It would be good to have a simple sheet along with the bed comforter, as the comforter alone is too warm unless the room is kept cold. Also the new amminity charge was unexpected.

I like this property, in its entirety very much.

Short, but sweet stay

Parking was a lot. The parking overnight was $71. We ended up parking at a meter, then in the garage to save a few dollars.

I liked the elegance and ambiance of the hotel. I also liked that there were several restaurants within walking distance.

71$
    • Prestige King Suite

The breakfast was not good. I've expected a better quality breakfast. The valet charge per day 71 $ was really a big surprise. It was written at the entrance but you don't expect a cost this much. It seems as they don't want you to come with a car...

I stayed at a Premium Suit and the size was very good.

During check out I had to find my luggage since the billboy left it in the lobby and went to do something else few minutes delay which was not needed

The room was very clean and comfortable the bed I like sleeping in the cloud

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Hotel is 4-5 stars, very good!

Breakfast was not buffet. You only order one item from menu. If you are hungry go to some other hotel.

Hotel is 4-5 stars, very good! Location excellent!

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Not worth the money, go somewhere else.
    • Superior King Room

Huge list of things: 1) the staff is absolutely rude - I travel everyweek, have been to 52 countries and this was the first time in my life I was so badly treated by a receptionist on a check-in. From the "Hi" to the simply "here is your key", the lack of empathy, the rudeness without a reason, as if she was doing a FAVOUR for making my check-in. 2) Didn't stop there: Breakfast staff, apart from slow, took my order incorrectly: bread, ham and cheese and a banana smoothie, bringing and making me pay for eggs and bacon instead. The waiter does not speak English properly and the way and rudeness with me and my work colleague (both os uf native English speakers) when we tried to explain the correct order was absolutely out of proportion. 3) Concierge with a huge complex of superiority (do not understand why as in a hotel as such the guests are very polite and well travelled/educated). Extremely disappointed with ALL the interactions with ALL staff during the stay. 4) Breakfast may be reviewed as "fabulous" by other reviewers, but is "a la carte", meaning it is extremely slow (took us 45 min to be served both days); expensive (unless you are fine that an egg alone should cost 18 USD). After 2nd try we decided to have breakfast somewhere else. 5) The air conditioner in the room is very noisy and not powerful enough. I stayed in the 15th floor, room 1514. 6) this was by far the worst part: they charged my debit card twice. Remember the rude receptionist I mentioned before? In the check-in she ignored when I said it was a debit card, so I wanted her to be careful as the "deposit" for the room (which in this hotel is very high as they ask the hotel stay + around 50-100 usd per night, I do not remember now), otherwise as a debit card the entire amount would be charged rather than just secured, as no distinction between the real amount of the room And the overall (room + extra) security.

Honestly, the only good thing is the room itself that has a good bed and a nice bathroom with a bath tube and italian shower separated. However, you find the same in other hotels with better price.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Excellent location and helpful staff

I would suggest a buffet option for breakfast

The concierge was very helpful with taxi reservations; the bar snacks were delicious, especially the cheese platter.

Felt like home
    • Superior King Room

You know, I didn't find the mattress very comfortable. It was fine, but not great. All the bedding, however was very nice.

The room was well stocked with items that made my trip away from home very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Booking Sucks
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Well, I booked a double room with 2 double beds and what we got was a single room, 2 double beds and no sofa bed. They said it's what booking sent them. So I got swindled for s much higher price for much less than I bargained for. The hotel refused to adjust the higher rate

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Good modern hotel, central location, French emphasis
    • Superior King Room

We had an extended mix-up with the room keys. The lobby was a bit cramped, with seats located too close to the check-in desk.

Bathroom was very nice - larger than usual with a walk-in shower. Restaurant was good. We particularly liked the raisin pastry for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Nice place to stay.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

Facilities could be better: shower drain clogged easily and vanity leg needed repair.

Location excellent, Bedding comfortable, rooms quiet, lots of closet space.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

We will be back again. Thanks

TV could have been larger We had a suite with a city view facing SW -- very ordinary.

The location allowed us easy access, often walking, to where we wanted to go. Great restaurants and Michigan Avenue are just steps away. Bathroom was beautiful and very comfortable Bed was terrific. Elevators are amazing -- always there in seconds.

Always enjoyable stay
    • Luxury King Room

The servers at breakfast were not very attentive. Waited a long time for our food, and had to ask three times to get some butter.

We stay here a few times a year, and it has always been good experience.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

The bed was comfortable and the rooms were quiet.
    • Prestige Suite

Although we enjoyed our stay at the sofitel, the organization of the cleaning staff could have been conducted better.

The bed was comfortable and the rooms were quiet. The staff were very friendly and helped us when any issue's occurred.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Amazing experience, fantastic service, great security, definitely stay again.
    • Prestige King Suite

Honestly not a single thing about this hotel I didn't like.

Honestly a fantastic hotel and a great experience. Will definitely be staying here whenever I'm in Chicago. One note I do want to point out is the security this hotel has to offer. No one can access the elevators without a RFID card let alone the room. Also we ordered food and they require you to come down to the lobby and get it which is great for security purposes. We also noticed a good and friendly security presence. You really have to look for them to realize their there. Which is a great detail for a hotel in Chicago.