Reviews of Comfort Inn Times Square South Area 3 stars

305 West 39th Street, Hell's Kitchen, New York, NY 10018, USA

#356 of 415 hotels in New York

It was under renovation so there was a lot going on in hotel. We had to ask 2 days for wash cloths so we could shower and our room did not have a TV remote control. We asked for one and was told they would bring us one but that never happened. we were also told that we would have slippers because the floors were concrete but there were none.

The bed was comfortable and the room was nice and cool. Convenient parking across the street.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Renovations were taking place and there was no carpeting on the floor in our room. Lobby was also very messy due to renovations and much too small. Check in did not begin until exactly 3 pm. Really, there were no rooms available before this time - such as 2:30 pm?

Location was good

The bathroom needed work and the halls and elevator were very dirty, possibly due to construction.

The Hotel is changing ownership and things were under construction. The elevators were dirty but I am assuming this is temporary. The room size was adequate and for NYC and the price, it was OK. The tub drain was slow and shower not good at all. The breakfast was not fancy but fine.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The entire hotel is horrible - please DO NOT TRUST THE PICTURES. The rooms are extremely small (you can barely open the door without bumping to the bathroom door) and much worse than I expected. I told the stuff about it and they just told me I shouldn't have trusted the pictures. Breakfast was worse than in a hostel - just white bread, some weird tasting yellow mixture (I guess it was supposed to be egg), the cheapest yoghurt. I picked up a bagel and it had mold at the bottom. The breakfast room has like 4 tables so it gets EXTREMELY crowded and uncomfortable to eat. Stuff is never around to refill the food. The toilet was not flushing when we arrived, and was not fixed until the next day (we were 4 people in the room!). The location is great but our room was SO NOISY that we couldn't sleep the first night because there was construction going on right outside of our window all night. Really bad experience.

The location is the only good thing about this hotel - it's located 10 min walking from Times Square and 2 min from the closest Subway station.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing significant. hotel was undergoing management change and renovations so there were stuff lying around but that will be temporary.

beautiful location. close to Times square and the Port Authority transporation. convinient for sight seeing enjoying night life and also travel. staff were very friendly. rooms just as expected from a budget hotel. we left behind my sons books and games and called to retain the same. we could get them back after 10 days all intact. breakfast was decent.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast area is too small for the place. You don't have enough seating for guest. One wafflle iron means you have to wait. The new hotel is suppose to be urban but it looks line it's an unfinished room. Concrete floors. Looks like it's a bankrupt hotel to me.

The rooms are TINY. They are under construction and my room had a STRONG odor of paint, etc. I had to open the window the whole time I was there cause it was making me sick.

It was in a good location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very small rooms, in process of being refurbed so strong smell of paint, noise, etc. Odd concrete floors & lingering smell of paint in refurbed rooms. Rooms so small the room door would catch on the bathroom one, had left a groove in the wood.

Friendly, helpful staff. Good location. Small but decent breakfast included

Hotel is under renovation which was not mentioned at time of booking. I booked 2 rooms & requested rooms on same floor which we were given upon check in. Went to our room & it was occupied. Came back to front desk & advised clerk and he ran up to 2nd floor to verify & said he had no idea who was in the room. Only room available was on the 15th floor. He told me it had concrete floors, but we would be given slippers 🙄(which we never received) Our friends were on the 2nd floor and we were on the 15th - not very convenient. We were in a “renovated” room. Concrete floor with weird gold paint splashed all over. No dresser or closet - absolutely no storage for clothes. Lots of maneuvering every morning & night to get in our suitcases to get clothes. There was some kind of long skinny table against the wall with 2 barstools - totally useless. Safe was just sitting on the floor and was locked upon arrival so we were unable to use. Room was teeny teeny tiny. It was difficult for 2 people to move around. Since we only used the room to sleep & shower it was fine. However, it would be claustrophobic if you had to spend any other time in your room. Our friends’ room on 2nd floor has not been renovated but they had a small closet, dresser, iron, working safe, carpet and a coffee maker - none of which was included in our “renovated” room. Breakfast area and lobby are both slightly larger than the tiny room.

Location was great. New mattress was comfortable & room was clean. The front desk staff was friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There are many Facilities didn’t work ; light bulb: air conditioner Manager’s manner Improperly of ventilation leads to smell bad of painting Improperly bathroom

Small rooms ,hotel under renovations lady that was taking care of breakfast area was rude and looks like she didn’t like her job rooms very close together and can hear everyone on the floor open and slam doors unable to get any sleep at night

Managers and front staff was very helpful free breakfast was able to hold onto the luggage since our flight was until 4

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was insanely TINY! I've stayed in my share of NY hotels, but this was by far the smallest. Was very hard to move around in (there were 4 of us). Also there was a lot of luggage in a hallway right by the check-in desk, which I didn't feel was either safe for people walking, nor was it a good feeling to leave my luggage there after check out. Water pressure in shower was extremely weak.

Beds were comfy, room was clean. Breakfast was ok. Bathroom was a decent size and had counter space for our items.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast wasn’t great, pretty standard continental. But most hotels in the area don’t have any free breakfast, so it’s still a bonus.

Not a 5 Star hotel by any means, but for the money it’s a great location and good value. When I visit Manhattan I’m not spending much time in the room anyway, you just need a hot shower and a comfortable bed. If you require more amenities than that, pay more $ and stay somewhere else. Hotel is doing a remodel, but I didn’t notice any issues with noise or mess.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

My only advice will be to get early to the breakfast area because it is small for the amount of people staying at the hotel, so you might not get a table. Rather than that it was all great, definately value fo money.

The location was excellent, really close to the metro and Times Square. The staff was also pretty nice, specifically this guy at the front desk, he was really helpful and kind, showed us how to get around the city and he was very multitasking, he could do a lot of things at the same time, and he would treat every client the same way.

The room was a bit tatty. The hallways weren’t very clean and when they did clean it was at 10pm. The breakfast room was very small, always overcrowded and like a furnace.

The beds were comfy and the linen was all clean. The location was great and only a 5 minute walk to the subway. The breakfast was good and set us up for the day.

This was awful . The remodel needs to be redone! It was a mess and very poorly done. I understand that there needs to be a transition during remodels but do not do it during after work hours people are trying to sleep!!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

All of the staff was great, but Leo was memorable. We areived around 9am and knew it would be too early to check in. Leo made sure to store our bags and offered breakfast and a map. The hotel was a budget hotel so my standards werent set too high, but the room was more than I bargined for. There was a little issue with the heat, but it might have been user error because it was fixed within less than 1 minute. Just about every train you can imagine stops at the port authority bus station which is a 2-3min wak away. Times square is about 10 minutes away. Honestly, everything is within walking distance. I’ll be staying here again next year and advise anyone looking for a good place to stay at a decebt price to stay here.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The size of the room and the beds are very small.

Location is great, that's the best part of this hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. Beds and pillows were comfortable. Discount for guests for a parking right accross the hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel under construction, to be informed when making reservation , not at arrival/ No place in breakfast room, you need to ask for food. .Room is to small for a family

Location is good

This hotel is undergoing renovations. some rooms are in deplorable condition and they are still being rented out. I requested a room change and was cheerfully given one.... but I had to ask! Breakfast room is a joke! The person who is supposed to take care of it doesn't like her job very much.

Front desk staff was wonderful. they made our stay worthwhile. Very helpful with directions and in accomodating our needs.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We stayed 2 nights. Our room was changed 3 times. Our first room, the heating was not working as it snowed in New York that morning. They couldn't fix the heating and we were changed to a second room. The 2nd room had no WIFI and the TV was not working. We were changed to a third room. The WIFI still did not work. The street was very noisy with sirens from the police and ambulances. The hotel was carrying out renovation works which was quite disruptive to guests.

The breakfast at the hotel was of great value. Beds were very comfortable. The staff were polite.

The hotel's location in New York is ideal. Housekeeping and cleanliness are approved. The reception staff are ok - especially LEO - incredibly nice and helpful. Now we come to what's not okay. The breakfast is a disaster. Most often, most of the staff are missing, staff do not see when something is over - you have to say to the staff that it's over. There are 21 seats, but there are 80 rooms in the hotel and almost 200 people will agree on 5 tables with 4 chairs around each table. I would never recommend this hotel unless it was good for all activities in the center. Skip the breakfast so you will not annoy yourself. The internet only works well in the reception. The reception can accommodate 6 seated people - do not expect any internet at all. In the room there is a coffee maker / tea. The rooms are so small that you can hardly fit your bags, everything feels like staying in the bags. No clothes hanger for the outerwear - only a 60 cm wardrobe, intended to be used for all clothes.

LEO at reception was helpful

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Two of your associates were especially helpful - Leo and Chanelle. They were very professional and provided a great deal of insight on seeing the sights and getting around NYC. Also en joyed the complimentary breakfast every morning.

Our room had a sheets on the beds but no pillows or blankets. No phone to call down 18 floors to request. Stopped by desk and was told we would get blankets and pillows, we received small square throw pillows. No one was at the desk to ask again as it was midnight. Slept pillow free! No TV remote control, only one outlet in the room worked and bathroom needed painting finished. Finally, no hair dryer. Floor was concrete and beds separated by bars... interesting décor. At check out we were told the hotel was under renovation and they were out of pillows. The desk employee was very nice but had no authority to make right the lack of basic hotel provisions, a PILLOW! Plan to contact general manager.

The location was convenient and the bed was comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Asked for extra blanket never got there, they made the bed but never changed the sheets after request. I know because since I got there there was a stain in one of the sheets and stayed there the whole trip.

2blocks from Times Square and very good price for location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the check in is so late...! can be at 1 pm at least??

Excellent location!! Close to Times Square ,Port Authority and many attractions .The room very comfortable and nice view from the room. People at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. I recommended it..!!

Could not check in before 3pm. After a long haul sleepless flight i just wanted to shower

The location was perfect as it was right near the subway and bus terminal and 10 mins from times square

The cleaning staff were extremely loud at early hours both mornings. We could hear them hollering to each other from our bedroom even when they were on the floor above ours.

The price was great for the location and the building was secure from the outside in the evenings.

The wifi was not working on our floor. I told the staff but they couldn’t do anything about it. We are from Canada so we relying on having an internet connection during our stay.

I had to ask twice to have the toilet fixed, the day I arrived I notified the front desk of the issue as I was leaving for dinner. When I returned from dinner, the issue was still not fixed. I notified the cleaning lady of the problem and she promptly notified someone and the issue was resolved. A simple matter of plunging the toilet, which I could have done myself if a plunger was available. The phone was also not working when I arrived, but was fixed when I returned from dinner.

The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable

This is most defiantly a budget hotel, small rooms and NO CABLE TV - the location is great however do not expect any perks - I checked out B4 experiencing the breakfast, but after reading other reviews if that is important to your stay you might choose another hotel

The stone in bathroom wall was cracker. The shower itself was a bit complicated to understand (the nozzles). The hallways and come areas could use a fresh coat of paint.

I’m not sure. Everything was good for me

The view of my bed, was awesome I can see New York Times from my window and I like that is near to the port authority

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room and bed toó small. Room for 4 far toó small to be confortable. Dont recomand at all to 4 people to share a room unless two of them are small children

Matress and pilow very confortable Staff at front desk

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Remote was missing (quickly addressed), blow dryer didn't work, and the house keeping cart remained in the small lobby of our floor during our entire stay (not a biggie, but store it in any empty room if need be).

Proximity to Time Square, all staff interactions were pleasant, availability of coffee/tea 24 hours.

I didn’t like when I first got to door of my room you have to push the door with force to even get in. I finally got in the room and I go to the bathroom and the toilet was clogged water was yellow. There was stains in the tub and the shower. There is no refrigerator. To top off my stay the hotel have two elevators and one of the elevators was broken the other one they was using to do renovation on one of the floors so they was holding the elevator. I had to walk up and down the stairs. The morning I was leaving the fire alarm was going off at 8 in the morning for 30 minutes straight. Worst Valentine’s Day.

I like that the hotel was in the middle of 34st and 42nd street. It was a lot of things to do.

Breakfast could have been better with fruit loops and chocolate sauce for waffles TV channels weren’t good Wifi

Very nice staff Very good location The hotel was very good as we needed a place to stay on short notice and they even secured our bags for us free of charge after we checked out as our flight was not for several hours which we were very happy would We would definitely stay there again Very comfortable room but quite small however this was not an issue for us Free breakfast

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel reception was really nice, great location, within walking distance to lots of facilities. The only minus - small dining area for breakfast; during the weekend you had to take your breakfast to your room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast was a disappointment. Not enough space/seating, tucked away in the basement. presentation could have been better. Rooms were small and lacked storage for folded items/socks/ Underwear etc. TV in room picture was poor.

The guy on the front desk was very helpful and polite at all times.

Hairdryer: had only 1 speed -- high & hot. Bath towels and hand towels were provided, but, not wash cloths. Room heater: Didn't understand how it worked. It cycled on and off way too much and couldn't be adjusted. Fan was very loud.

The bedding & pillows were so comfy for us. They were the best part of the room! The staff at the front desk were soooo nice to work with and talk to! Very helpful, too.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The size of the room,there was no wash clothes in the room and when we ask for some they said they don't have anymore and they don't have anyone to come n get the trash from the rooms.I don t think I should of pay 300.00dollar for room that's not meeting my needs

The breakfast,location,the stuff was very nice

The room with double bed was extremely small... omg tiny bad but that’s New York.!

Spent New Year’s Eve and new years there. The room was perfectly heated. The staff was super nice and the location was beyond perfect. The room was clean , free WiFi and free breakfast. Excellent staff and location..

Breakfast was almost non-existent, paper plates and plastic forks, the dining room (if we can call it that) was packed with 10 people, staff didn't pick up the phone busy with their cell phones, sheets had burns...

The bed was good and comfortable

Breakfast was included, but there was limited amount of food. Breakfast was 6:30 - 9:30. We went down at 8:30 and all that was available was cereal and toast. There were no trash liners or ice liners. There was not enough space to put clothes away.

Front desk staff very helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Place for Breakfast was small, Small Room's even when I booked the biggest double room, Beds were small.

Staff are very friendly & helpful, Location, Close to Subway (Metro), Breakfast was decent.

Only one small complaint - had to ask the front desk how to work the shower. It's a mechanism on the spout of the bathtub - not sure I would ever have figured it out on my own. They actually have a "how to" chart at the front desk - so clearly this is a common question. Perhaps putting a copy of the chart in each bathroom would be helpful.

For a New York hotel - near Times Square, this was a great rate for a very nice and clean room. It is also one block south of Port Authority Bus Terminal and 4 blocks from Penn Station - easy to reach on foot if you take public transportation into the city. This is New York, so the rooms are smaller. But the amenities were great. Staff was courteous and helpful. I skipped the free hotel breakfast so cannot comment on it.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing - booking.com did not reserve a true room for our stay, we were out in a basement room or room on main floor just down hallways from the entry door into the hotel. Booking.com would not do anything for a relocation or discount off the stay fare, all they offered was cancellation and leave us stranded in NYC having to look for another hotel that evening. Website doesn't advertise you may stay in the basement of a hotel nor the main floor of which hotel only has 2 rooms on the main floor. The cleaning bucket of liquid sat outside our room making it very fumy and the tv in lobby loud, could hear all the noise of guests entering

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They gave me someone else’s room. It wasn’t even what I booked. And there were people’s clothes and food in the room. The key didn’t work at first.

It was close to public transportation and restaurants.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the website was very deceiving the picture of the hotel looked very nice and roomy but was disappointed when we arrived. the room was very small not what was shown on the web site, The bathroom door and the door to the room could hit up against one another and a lot of scratches and marks on the walls. Would NOT stay there again or recommend this hotel to anyone !!

EGGS OK

The staff were superb, really helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The location is great, the beds super comfy. Only drawback the breakfast room was really small, to be sure of a table/seat you needed to be an early riser.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This is a good motel only if you're on a tight budget and plan on paying no more than $150/night. If you pay $200+ or $400 like I did, you'll be greatly disappointed. Small and unwelcoming reception area, odd smell on hallways and reception area, and 20+ people crowded into a tiny room for breakfast. Only positive here is clean rooms and good location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room are ok and reception staff is friendly, but the "breakfast-room" is a very unfriendly place in the basement and way to small for such a hotel (20floors x 4rooms per floor). It only has like 4 + 2 tables. We hated the paper plates and plastic cups. What was/is really not ok, was that you really could not quietly enjoy your breakfast (worst case need to take food up to your room by lack of space) or for example that (even though the choice was already quite limited) towards the end of our stay eg eggs and cheese were "temporarily unavailable"...

The best thing about this hotel is that you are very close to timessquare, subway-stations and most is within walking distance . However if you like a more cozy neighborhood it is maybe better to go somewhat more towards the area of greenwhich village / east village.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast area was a bit small, especially with a full hotel. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you could do to improve.

The staff was very helpful! I was traveling with my children alone and they even helped us cross the street to the parking garage.

breakfast

excellent location, great staff. Breakfast is a disaster with a tiny room, many many people scavenging for something to eat. Chaos. Stay here but get breakfast and coffee outside!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Booked a room with two double beds, but when I got to the room it was one double bed and one unconñmfrotsble sofa bed. Wasn't told about the change at check-in. Issue resolved later, but only to be awaken in the morning to follow up with the front desk on the issue due to lack of internal communication. .

Excellent location, friendly staff. Was given an extra room because the room I requested had an issue.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The maid service never cleaned our bathroom or straighten up. There was hair in the bathtub when we arrived. The breakfast area is was too small to enjoy your breakfast. Also, very limited seating. The staff is bumping into you while refilling. Your check in time is 3pm- and you can't get to your room a minute earlier. The comforter on the bed is way to thin and cheaply made. I wouldn't stay here again!!

Crowded breakfast room. Too warm. Food ran out. Noisy air-conditioner in room. We were charged a fee after concierge offered to watch our bags after check-out. Thought it was complimentary. Wished he mentioned that.

Breakfast was included. Room had everything we needed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast room is too tight. It requires clear recycling labelling: blue bin for plastic and glass, black for paper, green for compost and final for all other garbage. Now, guests are mixing them up, making it impossible to recycle. Shower curtain is not long enough to block water from dripping onto the floor. Having a fridge in the room would have been very helpful to keep drinks an left-over food.

Location made things so easy for us. Service was superb!

Pictures of rooms made them look larger than they were. Should be given actual dimensions maybe instead. Instead of desk maybe drawers to put clothes in or skip it altogether to give more space. And for breakfast area same comment regarding making things look bigger than they really are.

Was in the centre of almost everything we were there to see. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lobby and breakfast area need to be remodeled and breakfast area was worst space and food wise of any I have ever stayed.

The staff was great. and cleanliness of the room and bath was good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room for the continental buffet was very hot and small but that can be overcome by taking the food back to your room.

The staff was amazing. Every single one of them!!! The room was clean and the location was fantastic for us. The parking is directly across the street...bonus!!!

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Well they say New York never sleeps & they are Right. Traffic noise all through the night. Everyone toots their horn for any reason. Had to have window open because weather was good but air con unit too noisy to sleep when on.

The Location was good just 5 mins walk to Centre Times Square. Our room was clean & view from our 16th floor was good.

Since I was traveling alone I didn't feel it was safe to go out walking at night

It's close to Times Square, Port Authority, and touristic attractions.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast was poor - Upon entering the building, the desk admin appeared to be far too busy counting cash to check me in.

Fantastic location - Directly oppposite Port Authority Bus Station and the New York Times Building.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

The room was very small. It was half the size of a standard room. The television did not work properly. The hotel charged us for smoking in the room. We are not smokers. When I enquired about this, they gave me the run around. The Manager never called me. I had to do a charge back with my bank to get the issue resolved.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Staff were rude My room was not available upon arrival. A non refundable room was booked but still gave the room to other customer.

Nothing was good except proximity to times square

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Room was very small for 2 adults and one child, for the amount of money it cost should've been bigger room.

The staff was excellent, great location close to times square.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was a bit small and the layout of the bathroom being right next to the door was a bit awkward. Nothing that would make me not book again though.

Location was great for what we needed. Super close to Times Square and MSG. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was so tiny; it was very hard to move around with 2 people in there! I get that it's NYC but wow; it was just super cramped! Used Band aid on rug upon arrival; sheets made our skin itch, must have been the industrial detergent they used. When checking in another guest had soiled himself in the lobby; hotel staff acted quickly to clean it up but it was still really gross. For $250 a night I would have liked a little but larger & cleaner of a room.

Location was very convenient & staff was friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast room was hell. Tiny, cramped, with only enough tables for approximately 2 floors worth of guests... in a 20 story hotel! The cleaner moved our things around in our room and bathroom, including putting things in drawers that we couldn't find for several days!

The choices at breakfast were fantastic, despite the cramped breakfast room. Staff were exceptionally friendly, with the exception of the breakfast attendant. Location was top notch!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Small hotel, well located to times square. The included breakfast buffet was what set this apart from the other hotels we have stayed at in the times square area. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Rooms are smaller than some other hotels but we were not there to hang around the hotel. Rooms were clean and modern. Will stay there next time we travel to NYC.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Breakfast room is very small, cannot cope with number of guests. Situated in basement, feels like a hole! Bedroom doors close extremely hard when other guests on the same floor enter/leave. Noise levels very high and no noise isolation between rooms. Bathroom pipes very noisy. Reception staff very unfriendly and unhelpful when checking in.

Beds and cleanliness good. Breakfast selection good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Funny smell when you walked in like old cigars. Room was clean but hallway needed vacuuming. Entry door and bath door way to close together and sometimes banging in to each other.

Location was good, short walk to Bus Terminal!! Staff was good. Booked early and tried to get early check in with lower floor but didn't really accommodate my request.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Small rooms but allowed walking distance to several attractions. We walked to times square, 5th ave, top of the rock and even central park. Great way to see the city. Nice Irish pub around the corner. Staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

I love the customer service I received from Leo He greeted me with a smile and made sure I was comfortable. The room was clean and comfortable. I highly recommend this Hotel and ask for Leo amazing customer service