Reviews of Clarion Hotel Park Avenue 2 stars

429 Park Avenue South, NoMad, New York, NY 10016, USA

#364 of 415 hotels in New York

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

Room and shower space was very small. Noise from corridor because the room door was very thin and no noise reduction.

Nice location, easy access to subway No.6 and can walk to Grand Central station and Times Square within 20 minutes. There are many eating places nearby.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room could have been a bit bigger, it was very dark there, no view except to the firestairs.

Clean, very good location, friendly staff, breakfast included

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms are very small, but for NYC it was great.

Breakfast was very good. The staff is very friendly and helpful - amazing! They provided a good and cheap shuttle service to JFK and offered to store our luggage ever after check-out! Definitely would go there again. Great location.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast food was a little old but it was free!

Pedro and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay in New York STRESS FREE! We even had a car and they made that so easy. The location was amazing. The beds were so comfy too. We walked everywhere, the Empire State Building and grand central station were so close, as well as Times Square, Rockefeller center and Central Park. There was a subway station half a block over if we needed it. The price was a steal and I can’t wait to stay here again.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

I stayed 5 nights and 6 days at the Clarion. 3 of the 6 mornings I went to shower and had no hot water. I was always promised "it will be on in just a couple of minutes." We always ended up having to leave without showering if we didn't want to miss our planned activities. The second evening we came in early to try to shower at night there was still no hot water and the cable was out. Our neighbors smoked cigarettes on a non-smokjng floor. The room was very run down and not clean. The mattress caved in. The water pipes squeaked very loudly throughout the night. I made the staff aware of all of the issues and was promised "I'll make sure the manager calls you today". I never heard from management and have not been compensated any for these issues while staying there. I paid almost 2 months rent for my duplex to stay in a run down tiny room that was smaller than my guest bedroom and was very disappointed.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Tiny Rooms reminded me of how Expensive NY is. The staff made the difference..all about making us happy despite fair accommodations

It was convenient and did have a great Breakfast

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

It is not the Waldorf Astoria but considering the price you are paying to stay here, it really cannot be beaten in New York. So no, there is nothing that I did not like about this hotel. After all, you do not come to New York to stay in a hotel all day do you?

Considering this hotel is on the same Avenue as the Waldorf Astoria, what can I say? When I stayed at the Waldorf three years ago, the room was over priced, you had to pay for Wifi and there was no breakfast. The Clarion on the other hand is an entirely different hotel, Our room may have been a little bijou, however, it was very comfortable with a TV and en-suite bathroom (toiletries included). The staff were very helpful with all aspects (even when I lost my wife) and could not do enough. There was a great breakfast selection including cooked bacon, sausage, hash brows and waffles! The Wifi was completely free and was available throughout the hotel.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Given a very small room with a view of a brick wall. We asked to change told full. Later invited to take the front room which was on a main road, but bigger. Opted for front room but awake all night

the staff

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Waiting was a problem a few times. You can check into your room at 3, I checked in at 3 and my room wasn't ready until 3:30 (this was after I first stepped into the hotel at 12 only to find out I can't check in until 3) It was also a quiet day, so I'm not sure why there was such a long wait. I also had a question about the TV in the room and I had to wait about half an hour for someone to come and look, only to find out they know very little about the TV. They told me they were going to go and ask someone who might know, only to never get back to us. There was also a big spill on the staircase and it took about 20 minutes to get cleaned up after I alerted someone about the spill.

A most of the staff was extremely friendly and there to help you with any questions you may have. The breakfast had a lot to choose from and the attendee was great at making sure everything was laid out and full. The location was in the middle of all the sites I wanted to see, so walking wasn't to bad.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Would have liked to be on a higher floor to avoid the noise of the all night Park Avenue traffic. Door to the room wasn't very good at blocking out sound and you could hear neighbors whispering, trying to be quiet in the hall. Just thin, not good fitting, doors.

The bed was great. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. The hotel had some old world character, which I thought was charming. Breakfast was awful.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Our room was an absolute shoe box that was dated with a broken drain plug in the bathroom, wall paper coming off in some spots, etc. The size of the room can't (or may can) be understated especially for having a baby with us. Getting even a small travel stroller into and out of the room and elevators was a pain. The location isn't terrible but it is NYC so expect every walker and driver to be obnoxious and rude.

The staff were all extremely friendly, professional and accommodating from the front desk workers to the cleaning and breakfast staff. The location has tons of fast food and restaurants within a few blocks walking distance.

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

Misunderstanding about the check out. They claimed that the check out was at 12AM. However, on my reservation was written between 12AM and 01PM so technically I could stay in the room until 01PM.

Definitely the staff. Each one of them were very helpful and willing to answer all my questions. The breakfast was fair enough for the price. Furthermore, the location is awesome. Only few minutes walking to the subway and Empire State Building. Highly recommended.

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

tiny rooms. though new York rooms are small, this was the smallest room ever bed was very uncomfortable the noise from air conditioner units outside is high and makes sleeping hard for light sleepers the walls are very thin, you can practically here e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g in the other rooms around(and they can hear you) the 28th n.r.q metro station to times sq and the more useful stations is 12 minutes by walk

breakfast is ok. nothing fresh no veg or fresh fruits the overall area is quite nice with a lot of downtown bars close by there is a 6 metro entrance 300 hundred meters.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms are really small and i mean it when i say small, even the elevator gets literally full with just two people, if you dont care about that all the other stuff is good, not my type thought since im used to places with more space and feel really unconfortable in a so tiny place.

Place is in a good location, rooms are clean and stuff is very friendly.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast awful!! Property dirty, booked 2 double beds got 1 double front desk offered to give us rollaway for $15 charge! Rollaway wouldnt fit in room?! Front desk person rude! We left after 1 nite

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

To start, this is the first time I've ever used booking.com and ever reviewed a hotel or any other service. The experience was so bad I decided to review the Clarion Hotel. Hotel was dirty, dated, and not accurate to the description listed. The room was maybe 100 sq ft, and that's including the bathroom. I can deal with those issues, but not for a two night stay for $625.00.

Absolutely nothing. Definitely the worst hotel I've ever booked.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Like any hotel you must present once the passport and credit card, before you can enter the booked room. The person at the front desk examined the credit card and was told that the credit card is rejected. That is not possible. I have paid all my purchases with this card and had no problems. You should call your bank, the man told me. Gentleman, now it is 2 o'clock at night and all people are sleeping. Do you have cash he asked me? Yes, but not so much that I can pay the bill. There is an ATM , try it there. I took my credit card and got the money accordingly. Mister, can you explain to me why the card at the ATM works but not with your computer? No answer. Later I was thinking, they wanted to have better cash, because they will get the money with credit card only after many days or weeks. Next morning. Big surprise because their were no plates, no hot water for tea, no bread, rolls or something else to eat , no eggs and bacon. Round about 15 minutes later the responsible person for the breakfastroom entered the room and came up with food for the breakfast. Please excuse ladies and gentlemen for the late delivery.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Its noisy due to thin walls, slamming doors, creaky floors, etc. The building is very old. Also, AC/heater didn't work in the room.

Staff were very friendly and nice. Location is good.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Night staff is very unaccommodating, completely untrained to make any decisions regarding customers. Our room A/C went out over the weekend, maintenance had already left for the day, night staff couldn't make any decisions on what to do to accommodate. I had to ask for another room, "we are all full", had to request a fan for the room to circulate air. "I'll have to call the GM and ask if we have one". Long story short, NO A/C, NO FAN, NO accommodation, was told to open windows, which led to a shared fire escape with people sitting on it drinking and being unruly. Very unsafe for two women and a six year old child. Then upon check out the same night staff had three male visitors (friends) sitting in lobby area, laughing and joking, while dropping the F-bomb every other word in front of myself and grandson (6 yrs old). She (night staff) hesitantly got up to check us out without so much as a thank you. We waited outside the lobby door for our ride to the airport to remove my grandson from the inappropriate conversation and language usage. Very very unprofessional!

Bed was comfortable and room was clean.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very small. The bed was not big enough for two adults. The first night we were there the ac in our room did not work and it was very hot. The staff said nothing they could do.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

The tiny room space and lack of any place to put our things was a real challenge.Literally we did live out of our suitcases.

The staff and their services were par excellent and they made us feel so welcome. They were helpful at every turn. We also enjoyed the free breakfasts and would probably consider returning to the Clarion because of the staff, location, and nice included breakfast..

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

really small size room. but value for money in the area.

Very homely atmosphere and respect from staff and tight and cozy place, typical size in New York.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast. Every day same.

Very close to metro (All lines). Our room 201 was really big. On the picture it was looking very small. We've been really surprised.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

This was the smallest room we have ever stayed in, with the smallest bathroom too. The cleaning was below standard and there were burn marks on the bed cover.

The staff were mostly friendly with the exception of the older man who was there on our last morning. The breakfast was OK and we did like the waffles.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very small. We had to squeeze ourselves and reorganize our stuff to make some space for our luggage

The advantage is definitivelly the location.It's close to Empire State building and some more must-sees places. So if you look only for clean place to sleep (and not to spend many hours in it) this is the right choice. Also what we liked was clean bathroom

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

Hotel and rooms need updating. Beds too soft. Single rooms tiny. No decor.

Good location on park avenue. Coffee maker in room. Ice machine in lobby. Breakfast included although it opens too late at 7am for early risers.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Too too small, no space for luggages and no space to enter the room. It was asked me 2$ to use their computer when the wifi is free. What does it mean? -.- too expensive.

The location very central. Breakfast good

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast chef wasn't there at the start of service which I thought was a bit strange. My door card kept malfunctioning which meant a trip back down to the reception. It could have been because I didn't insert it in the lock correctly.

The staff were friendly and helpful especially Ana and Pedro. I didn't catch the names of the other staff. I liked the location and there was a nice pub next door which was a bonus.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

• Double Room - Smoking

Very cramped space, sink was too small, but otherwise ok

Excellent value for money, good location, really enjoyed the inclusion of breakfast also. Staff were very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Food quality. Better explanation of what a double room means. Ended up having to pay more for a room that would accommodate 2 women that are not a couple. This is a bookings.com issue, not the hotel's

The morning breakfast staff member was so kind and friendly. Food is marginal, but he made going down to breakfast a treat on the mornings that he was working. He deserves a huge compliment.

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

The room was too small. Carpets d and dirty. Lobby restroon dirty

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Got up in morning cockroach found near my back pack. I would not have this hotel on you list of hotels.

Nothing to add.

Very good location, friendly staff, room was great and the continental breakfast was good.

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

Did not match expectations from website.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

decor, street, room size, shabby, staff mute and sullen

No really

Overall it is great.

Great place to stay. Rooms are a little small but comfotable.

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

The was comfortable and the bathroom roomy.

Proximity

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

room small, no service man, very cold and without warm air but no body come and fix for me. never come again

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room size was very small would have been nice to walk around the bed without kicking anything.

The location was great so close to the subway.

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom on the small side

Breakfast good clean room helpfull staff good location

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

room way too small, not well insulated and furnishings could be updated

staff very helpful, good breakfast

Quiet

Comfortable bed.

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast wasnt to my liking and the room and corridor was a bit stale

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The front desk staff was excellent. The room and bathroom was immaculate.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was too small. The a/c never worked. The staff was no friendly.

Room too small. Very expensive

The staff were helpful

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Which it was bigger, rooms were to small and lobby too.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

All of the staff was very nice and extremely helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

No complaints

Breakfast was good enough for me

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

Dirty tiles, terrible beds, totally neglected, welfare families living there. Needs to go off booking.com and close down.

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

wifi terrible, had to connect and enter password ALL THE TIME!!!

friendly staff, clean room

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room was small. No gym access

Close to the subway and fairly central in manhattan

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Small room

Central location

• Reviewed: 3 December 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Big Room, breakfast good, staff very friendly

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

Loved the breakfast each morning!

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Room too small.

Location is good ,close to subway and many restaurants.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

You don't get a lot for the amount of money you pay in terms of facilities so overall not great value for money

The location was excellent

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Single Room - Non-Smoking

The single room was small for the amount of money I spent. Overall it was a good place to stay

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

Very small room

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Very small rooms.

Location location location

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Breakfast quality

bed and location and value for money was great

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

Room too small. The safe or security box was NOT in the room so that was an inconvenience. The safe was in the reception, and it was very small, only for passport and such. Breakfast was very basic.

Location and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 14 May 2016

Only a brick wall view out from the window, but you accept it in a NY budget vacation.

Nice, comfortable but very small hotel in a closeby location. Service was good, basic breakfast however with little of everything. Quality-price ratio all in all very good.

• Reviewed: 8 May 2016

The bed mattress was terrible, too soft. And the window had no full curtain, so we woke up with the light entering the room. The room is very small. You struggle to open your luggage.

Location is very convenient, near to the tube. Breakfast was not bad either. The staff is, generally, welcoming. We left our luggage there after check-out (they do keep it for you, for free), because our flight was in the evening.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2016

The air conditioner kept going out every day. it made the room very hot especially to sleep. this happened all 3 nights. i complained and they said they would fix it. but it would still happen again the next night.

• Reviewed: 25 April 2016

Breakfast wasn't great so we ate out each morning. There's ample choice nearby!

The foyer was the 'fanciest' area, but we never used it. Who would stay indoors in New York?! The room was small but comfortable and had everything we needed for our short trip. The location was near a tube stop. For the price we paid in the big apple it met our expectations.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2016

The older man that controls the breakfast in the morning could be a lot more friendly! He can be really rude! But all the other staff are so nice and helpful.

My room had everything I needed and the bed is really comfortable. Everything is very clean. The breakfast in the morning is so good!

• Reviewed: 31 March 2016

We could hear the people in the next room very clear and loud. Carpets maybe too old and dated

Comfy bed and pillows, helpful staff, location, waffles in the morning were great, until the machine broke down..

• Reviewed: 22 March 2016

Room was very small and brick wall outside window. The room was comfortable and to be fair we didn't need to spend much time in it, just to sleep. We thougjt the room was expensive but we were visiting in the week of St Patricks Day so rates were enhanced!

The breakfast was good and more than we expected, you can get a coffee to go at breakfast if you ask...great coffee in the room too. Staff were very helpful and had a bend over backwards approach. Location was excellent we could walk anywhere in an hour, which was great as we wanted to walk rather than subway. Hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities a bonus.

• Reviewed: 20 February 2016

Very noisy plumbing, lot of noise from other guests, particularly late at night. Small bedroom.

Great breakfast and comfortable bed. Friendly and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 15 February 2016

First room (a single) was not good (faulty heater, cupboard drawers sliding open, a bit dirty). After complaining, they moved me to a much nicer double which was perfect. Came down to breakfast at 10am one morning as it was closing, and had to argue to take a couple of bagels with me. I wouldn't mind, but I'd paid for breakfast. The walls are quite thin between the rooms.

Great location, and good value for money with breakfast included. Generally had a very satisfied stay once I was moved to a better room.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2015

The facility was dirty (stains in the room on the carpet, bedspread, rust/stains in the shower). The staff was at the minimum of professional (not exactly mean or rude, but not very polite or accommodating).

The location was convenient to my business needs.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2015

No one said hello welcome thanks for staying here if there is anything you need just let us know!!! Staff was horrible. Cleaning lady was great!

• Reviewed: 31 October 2015

Smallish room and double size (not queen) bed with not much space for suitcase storage. Not that it's necessarily this property's fault, but the coffee here (and the US generally) is awful. Stewed flavour from being left on a heating pad. Even plunger coffee would have been acceptable.

Helpful and courteous staff, comfortable bed and clean bathroom, quite ample breakfast supplied. Location OK: near Empire State Building, not far from Macy's and Penn Station, but too far away from Midtown.

There are also 45 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.