Reviews of Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport 3 stars

8600 Merriman Road, Romulus, MI 48174, USA

#15 of 26 hotels in Romulus

• Standard King Room

Outdated place. Bathroom sink so small every time I washed my face water went on the floor. When they cleaned the room they didn't empty ice bucket or replace coffee. Definitely not returning Breakfast disappointing as well.

Location to airport

• Standard King Room

The things that we were not happy with was the T.V. There wasn't a channel changer in the room that worked, plus the coffee pot did not have the necessary equipment to have a cup of coffee. The air conditioner did not work properly.

The motel gave us a later checkout because our flight was delayed so we arrived very late. We were happy to sleep in and get some needed rest.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Phone didn't work in room.

Nice Bistro on property had good food plus a bar. Beds were comfortable and location was good. Free coffee in lobby was awesome.

• Standard Queen Room

"The breakfast" is overrated, and the bread was stale. I could actually smell mold. Also, the restaurant/bar menu could be much better, especially for vegetarians. The room had not been properly cleaned on my arrival. There was a drink stain on the bedside table. The 'white' towels were grubby. The bathroom supplies were not replaced and so I had to ask.

The bed was comfy and I liked being very near to the airport because it was my first visit.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Run down, hallways and table surfaces in lobby and restaurant not kept clean. The pictures on the internet look much nicer than we found it to be.

Hot breakfast, real eggs, friendly staff, good price.

• Standard King Room

My partner and I are tall and we found the sink and toilet to be short. Had to bend over quit a bit for the sink. Still doable though.

This was a short visit for us. We had an early morning flight so we were unable to have the breakfast. Room was comfortable and convenient for metro airport.

• Standard Queen Room

The staff at front desk was kind and easy to work with but she was extremely overworked and needed help. It took 30 minutes to check in due to long line.

Great location, speedway in parking lot, ease to airport and good prices.

• Standard Queen Room

Old n needed renovations. Carpets musty and surrounding grounds needs work.

Location and staff was friendly and accomodating. Bathroom was clean n room was fairly clean.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel dated & tired. Bathroom didn’t look clean discoloured in bath & sink paint all peeled off of inside of door

Sheets were clean Breakfast was adequate , 5 minutes from Detroit airport

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Ceiling in bathroom could be repaired better.

I paid the extra in case we needed to cancel. That came with breakfast. Breakfast was a wonderful surprise!! Eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, bagels, yogurt, coffee, juice, fruit. Very tasty! Bed was comfy.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Television didn't work. They moved me next door. Television didn't work. Clearly a problem with the cable. Restaurant had one worker with probably 40 people to be served. She doubled as the bartender as well. Food was marginal at best.

• Standard Queen Room

Issue with whether or not parking was included. When I found the email saying that it was, a manager wasn't available. I was told I would receive an email, but I never did. Took an extremely long time for the shuttle to pick me up at the airport.

Great location. Full breakfast included.

• Standard Queen Room

Despite an overflow of patrons from the airport, the manager went above and beyond to accommodate everyone. He and his staff did an excellent job in the face of a bad situation.

• Standard Queen Room

We called from the airport for the shuttle and the desk clerk said it would be right there, we waited about 45 min in the cold, thank god a shuttle driver from a other hotel called our shuttle driver he wasn’t told to come and get us, and to make things worse when we complained to desk clerk, she wasn’t nice at all as a matter of fact she was very rude, and when I said something about the bill being $2 more than I had thought, she very abruptly said that’s not us that’s the air port, and I felt we should have been compensated in some way, My husband and I were not happy that isn’t the way you should treat your guests.felt

The shuttle driver was very nice, the housekeeper was very nice and the kitchen staff was also very nice . Breakfast was great, and our room was very nice.we

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had the worse trip to Detroit ever. Upon arriving at the hotel, I just wanted a hot cup of tea...no tea to be found. My husband inquired later and was told not a tea bag in the house. The parking lot was a mess between the snow and the water... We walked to the lot at A door and my feet were SOAKED. Not a great start but we survived.

I did not eat that night but my husband ordered a club sandwich on the premises which was DELICIOUS? I had a bite....best one ever! Once again I did not eat breakfast so I cannot rate.

• Standard Queen Room

I loved absolutely everything about this hotel. The rooms were so nice and comfy. The breakfast was outstanding. Will always choose this place when traveling. Shuttle service to airport and back was speedy and great.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The phone in my room needed to be fixed. I may have missed this when booking but no one came to clean my room. It isn't a crisis for me but since I arrived late the first night I had food with me and the trash could have been taken out the next day.

I liked the location because it was close to the airport. The free breakfast was solid. The staff was very friendly.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Tv had about 15 channels. No guide. One of the side entrances smelled like a sweaty locker room.

Relatively cheap. Functional rooms. Heat and AC worked. Decent sized shower. Comfy beds.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had extended our night and I went downstairs at noon like the front desk told me to do and renew everything so I had already told one housekeeper who came to get our laundry that we was staying and it they don't have to clean our room. Just new towels she said okay . I go downstairs and another one came to the door and my fiance answer cause I was downstairs I get off the elevator and I seen him talking to her saying we extended another night and that my fiance was downstairs. So when they got done talking she rolled her eyes and was very rude about it and said I can't stand people like that so as I was walking past her I said to her yeah I just extended our night again and the look on her face was priceless. But I will not be staying there ever again . her name was dwanna ( Caucasian woman) as I walk past her clipboard abs and look for her name. I was a housekeeper for two years and I love when people would extend another night and didn't want no service. So I didn't get why she had an attitude I always tip the housekeeper but she didn't get one from us. I had went to the bar Friday night and I was there for only 30 mins and I love her I tip her $20 dollars.

The bar and breakfast and front desk staff was awesome and so the bartender

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Stairs and hallways needed vacuuming and trash picked up.

The room was Immaculate and the bed was very comfortable however the hallways and staircase needed vacuuming. Sadly it reflected on the luxury of the whole hotel.

• Quadruple Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Stayed 5 days and they only made our bed once... thought that was weird. Gave us new towels though each day....

The staff was very kind. Great breakfast! Great bar! A few shady characters outside, but other than that, it was good.

• Quadruple Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The only suggestion I would make would be for there to be a little something for breakfast for those of us who have to catch flights before we an take advantage of the breakfast served. A nice packaged roll or a little bag breakfast would help take the place of the nice breakfast we have to miss.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room wasn’t really clean, need to pay more attention in the spaces between the bed and the night table, it was dirty and with rest of food

The distance between the airport and the hotel.

• Standard Queen Room

The running toilet and the room smelled like they cleaned with a dirty mop. I had so spray perfume to help. #107

Location was convenient and the room was clean.

• Standard Queen Room

Bed could have been bigger.

It was in a decent area, felt safe. Clean and staff were very nice. The shuttle got us to the airport without delay made our travels so much easier. We arrived late and left early so did not use bar/restaurant but they looked good. Left before breakfast also.

• Standard Queen Room

It WAS GREAT!! Hot eggs with all the other hot foods. Loved it. Keep it up and you have a customer for life. The even bar personnel were great as well.

• Standard Queen Room

Used paper clips to keep my curtain closed but no biggie I just have to have a completely dark when I wake up in the morning.

Breakfast buffet best ever!

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom needs some refurbishment work - it was clean and usable, but stains, dents in between the tiles.

The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, the staff was nice, and the location is super convenient by Detroit Metropolitan airport. Big plus for the free shuttle to the airport, even at very early hours in the morning. Real cutlery/dishes in the breakfast (which was not the case in other, even more expensive hotels, I stayed in this trip).

• Standard Queen Room

I missed the Breakfast hour - Dinner the night before was Caesar salad, well prepared, and my favorite news show... Got to the hotel about 10pm and food still available. Waitress cheerful and helpful.

• Standard King Room

Toilets constantly running. Loud people in hallways. Mildew in the bathroom. Breakfast eggs were watery and hash browns saturated in oil. I feel as though I did not get my money’s worth this stay. Overpaid by far!

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had trouble getting the shuttle to the hotel. We waited over 45 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up. However when we discussed it with the manager upon arrival at the hotel, he gave us some coupons for dinner and drinks at the bar. That was much appreciated. The bar lady was outstanding. The dinner was really good for hotel food and it was great to not have To travel anywhere to get dinner after a long trip. That is a big positive of the hotel. It was quite warm on the day we arrived and we were dissappointed that the pool closes so early in the season way back on Labor Day. It would’ve been nice to have the pool open for an evening swim given the warm temperatures. But overall the hotel was a good value for the money. Staff was pleasant and room was comfortable and quiet. Few maintenance issues but nothing major.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

My bathroom had what looked like to be animal food on the floor and a random prescription pill. Which lead me to believe the room was not cleaned very well.

There' are not a lot of hotels in the area with Restaurants. Was happy to stay here because of restaurant and bar

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

breakfast was mediocre, the hot food was lukewarm, the walls in my room were so thin that I heard everything the man in the next room said during a phone call, and my room was in a remote, inconvenient, older part of the building.

the bed was comfortable and there were plenty of towels.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel room we were in & hallways are in need of repair. Flooding had occurred during our stay too and some of the hallways/stairwells by our room were roped off. It served my purpose well though...comfortable room & bed, breakfast, close to airport, & parking.

Very good breakfast & good location

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

remodeled since our last stay before early morning flight. good shuttle service. Coffe always available, even for those awaiting thev4:30 a.m. shuttle.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

absolutely NO hot water. Was not told until I was completely registered!! Had to walk a LONG way to get to my room, due to construction...again never told about it!!

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Things got messed up. Booking.com sold me a room with parking..but then it was not included. Had to remake resv thru hotel..and they did not honor the original price I was told!..Per the manager they really don't like Booking.com and have ask to be off your booking list?? I didn't really believe that, and I should have INSISTED on the quoted price, my fault. Will not stay at Clarion again. I will be sending an unsatisfied review to Clarion as well.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The turn into the motel's parking lot is difficult, requiring going past and then making a u-turn to return.

This is a fine chain motel in a great location, near the airport and within easy, direct reach of downtown Detroit. My brother, my son and I were on a road trip from Detroit to Minneapolis, and this was the perfect kind of place to start. Just down the road is the BEST sports bar we've encountered on many road trips, Wheat and Rye. Back to the motel -- the room was clean and comfortable, the staff helpful, the breakfast good.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

We waited well over an hour to be picked up from the airport (at 1:00 am) after paying for hotel parking and shuttle.

The hotel was clean and the room were a nice size.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were beetles crawling around the bathroom. Also, was very difficult to coordinate transport to the hotel from the airport.

Great pool, easy location, easy transport to airport. Food was decent, breakfast was plentiful.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Very convenient. From hotel to gate with tsa less than 15 minutes. Lovely view of sunset. One of best Westin properties stayed in. Shower pressure exceptional.

• Standard Queen Room

staff were warm and welcomingh when we arrived late in the evening, and the cafe was still open to serve a delicious meal. With an early flight in the mornin g, the location couldn't be beat

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

There are no signs like this way to elevator or lobby. Kind of odd place but if you just need a night to crash by the airport it does the job

Breakfast, clean, and shuttle was good

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Was down the hall from the laundry in the hallway was not clean and also there was a bug in the room that my wife had notice

The breakfast was good and hot

• Standard King Room

My first room on my first night had blood stains on the sheets, pillows and pillow cases. (blood that did not come from me) they switched me into another room and said that the manager would be contacting me. I have yet to hear from the manager or receive and email, text or anything.

breakfast was great and my second room was perfect and was what i was expecting

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Standard King Room

This is what happened to us when we arrive exhausted and fall into bed. Room 154 Feb. 20, 2017 Photos as follows: 1. inside of the bathroom door. 2. the corner between the tub and the wall. 3. shows how worn the toilet seat is. 4. detritus on the rug outside of the bathroom door. 5. photos of the window sill. I showed the photos to the desk attendant in the morning. The manager apologized to us and gave us $20 off of our room cost.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathrooms could use some updating, esp tub/shower

Complimentary got breakfast was generous and excellent. Overall, great value for the money. We always stay here the night before an early morning flight.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

There is a restaurant and separate bar. Also Breakfast. My wake up call came promptly. Business Center where I printed boarding pass Newspaper and Free Shuttle Service to Metro

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• Standard King Room

Room was outdated and smelled so strongly of room deodorizer that it appeared it was intended to mask mold or mildew or other bad smell. Bar staff was loud and handled 3 visitors poorly. They were clearly not intended to be on the property, but she announced it at the top of her lungs so all in the bar area could hear....better ways to handle the situation.

Near the airport

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Standard King Room

We loved the burgers in your bar. We are still saying they are one of the best we have ever had. The bartender was excellent. She appeared to really care about her customers.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Old outdated facility. Only one elevator and it's very far from most rooms. Floors did not look clean in lobby areas and halls. In sore need of an update.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Standard Queen Room

refrigerator very noisy...had to unplug it to sleep. No TV guide in room to locate stations.

Bed very comfy. TV good but very slow to change channels. Nice free breakfast. Good parking. Pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

great breakfast came free with the room plenty of choice.free coffee all day. nice pool,the staff were wonderful and very helpful.would happily go back anytime and would recomend to anyone.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Standard Queen Room

Clarion is a low cut budget motel. You know what you are getting....but still...

No, the scrambled eggs were hard and not smooth. Sat too long in the container. The toilet leaked water (reported it to management). The face bowl is too small. No hand rail in the shower (slip and fall liability?). The AC is very noisy. Besides the eggs, the free breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Standard King Room

In the bar, there were three tv's. The ones to the left and right had sports on, which was cool. However, they were muted. The one in the middle had on FOX News. After a long work week, I DID NOT want to be in a bar suffering through Donald Trump aka Toupee Fiasco.

Chloe, Eric, and Andrea were fantastic!!!! All of them did an EXCEPTIONAL job in making sure my lady were comfortable. They were super helpful and friendly. All three of them deserve a paid day off for their hard work. I also loved that breakfast was from 5am-10am, so we weren't in a rush to get downstairs. My lady didn't arrive until almost 4am because her flight kept getting delayed so she definitely needed rest.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast wasn't anything special & we were charged $6.36 for a free breakfast when we took toast & a waffle to go one day when we had to be to EMU by 6:45am. Asked for extra blankets one night & was told they'd be brought up - 2 1/2 hrs later we went to the desk to get them but all we could get was 1 because housekeeping was closed. After our stay we've had massive issues with being charged multiple times for our visit. We booked thru booking.com & were charged for the room plus 1 visit to the restaurant. Then the next day exact same charge again (so double charged). Same day we also had 2 $60 charges, which we presume was the food which was already paid with the room charge the day before. I called the hotel and couldn't get a live person to help, was hung up on & finally was told I had to have my bank call because they don't see anything on their side - I have the screenshots of it, and the bank says the charges were put thru. So still trying to get that mess figured out. During our stay there was a water issue. We called the front desk from the hotel phone & it rang more than 3 dozen times & no one answered. I called from my cell & got someone on the 3rd ring. Told them the problem & Jeff the manager came up to move us next door. (That was great service). Later the City shut off water so again - no water (or notice there was an issue or when it'd be resolved). Communication could be better & more pro-active. Parking out front wasn't great & people who parked between the road & round about make it 1 car at a time travel to the back of the hotel, which if they happen to be pulling out or if there's snow - it's going to be too tight & a mess.

Front desk staff was amazing at check in. Sales manager Jeff was super helpful in correcting issues & making sure we were comfortable. Restaurant food at night was delicious & reasonable. Rooms were clean & comfortable - didn't see any signs of bed bugs like someone in the bar said... Think they're paranoid a bit! Even though we were right near the airport - never heard a plane. Super convenient to the highway Gas station next door has yummy brookies & drinks - even a milkshake machine The restaurant bar was good & drinks were yummy Enjoyed having a working fridge & microwave in our room - helped with leftovers.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Standard Double or King with 14 Days Parking

The appearance of the stairwell, and a laundry cart in the back entry were not appealing. Badly scuffed paint. Overall a little maintainence is needed. Water in shower fluctuated between cool and scalding. The toilet seat would not stay up when I had to pee. Thought I was getting a king bed but got a twin bed room. Confusing descriptions on wrbsight--no way of knowing what room you are actually getting.

The staff treated me like royalty, even though I was in my work clothes. I saw them treat others with the same respect and courtesy. Nice big fridge. Overall comfort of room/bed was good.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard Double or King with 14 Days Parking

Our overall experience was awful. I have detailed below our experience from the time we arrived until we returned from our trip. We will find it very hard to recommend Clarion Hotel to anyone or to stay a Clarion Hotel again. 1) The first room we were given was on the first floor and was under repair, big plaster repair all over the walls, the air condition unit missing from the wall so all there is a big hole in the wall to the outside. You would think rooms under repair would not be available for rent. 2) We were given a new room still on the first floor in the back corridor, the whole corridor smelled of heavy smoke. It is apparent that this back corridor is not smoke free. Even our room smelled of smoke. It was late and we had an early flight so we decided not to say anything and just deal with it even though both of us have smoke allergies. The hotel is advertised as smoke free it is apparent that the hotel is not smoke free. 3) The final straw was the fiasco at the airport when we returned on 07/31./16. Using a hotel shuttle from an airport is something we have never done before. I specifically asked before we left the hotel Sunday morning what do we need to do when we return. We were told when we return to call the hotel when we return and they will let us know where to go to get picked up. So when we returned we called the hotel at 9;00pm and were told to get our luggage go up a level go across the bridge down a level and call when you get there. We did that and told the lady on the phone that we were at door 401 and she said Ok and look for the van. We waited over half an hour never saw a Clarion van drive by, called again was told the driver has already picked up people and is back at the hotel, the driver never stopped for us. At the hour mark called again was told needed to look for the Fairfield van was never told that on the first phone call to look for the Fairfield van.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Standard King Room

Everything was very good.

Very clean and comfortable room. Great staff and good breakfast too. The airport shuttle was efficient and drivers were friendly. Overall, a great place to stay.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

dirty sheets and towels .. the room could've been more cleaner that it was. worst hotel ive stayed in

the breakfast was ok and some of the staff was really nice

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Standard King Room

while using the pool, the bottom of our feet and what ever else touched the pool turned colors. The paint was coming off of the bottom of the pool and side.

I liked the breakfast. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

The smell

The room smelled like a previous smoking room and musty. Staff was great but we must have been in old part of hotel because it stunk. I don't recommend.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Standard Queen Room

The extra cost for parking & triggered in price when I returned from my trip. Extra $66 for parking for the 7 days & the price weren't went up by $40. I didn't stay on the backside of my trip.

Convenient to the airport & the free shuttle.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very close to the Airport and highways

• Standard Queen Room

The bathrooms need to be updated

Close to the airport and can leave your car parked there and they will shuttle you to the airport.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff was horrible, building not kept up

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Huge leak in the lobby. Nasty, unkept pool uncovered and in need of repair. In room hair dryer didn't work.

Bed was comfy

• Standard Queen Room

Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. There is a quiet atmosphere and it is good value for money.

• Standard Queen Room

Really friendly and helpful staff. Clean and comfortable rooms. Nice selection of cereals fruit and hot food for breakfast.

• Standard Queen Room

It was ok place was Was filthy and need it clean

• Quadruple Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The rooms need upgrading. There was a lot of chipped paint and plaster and rusted old fixtures.

The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was good.

Good breakfast.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room smelled food from last guest left in fridge . Construction going on toook

Clean,quiet friendly staff.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Convenient shuttle to the airport. Nice hotel.