Reviews of Coconut Cay Resort 3 stars

7196 Overseas Highway, Marathon, FL 33050, USA

#13 of 16 hotels in Marathon

• Deluxe Double Room

There was a dog left alone upstairs from us and we could hear it crying when we were on our deck. Made me feel very uncomfortable but not the resort's issue.

Beds were super comfy and the room was big and spacious. Loved the two chairs and small table on the deck - could look out over the water. Used kayaks to do a little exploring in the morning and had a great time!

• Deluxe Double Room

There was water damage in the room that were just renovated. They need a better system for the kayak rentals. Leaving the room key a the desk while using the kayaks means everyone has to stay together or someone is stuck in the room...

Good location. Pool was nice. It was great to be able to use the kayaks and fishing poles. Housekeeping was good...kept us in clean towels and sheets and kept the room nice even through the mess of 5 people...3 kids.

Me & husband loved everything about Coconut Cay..breakfast was good..continental style..kayaks were safe for beginners..we made use of the free cycles to ride a couple mile up the road to the fabulous Sombrero Beach! We cycled over the nearby 7 mile bridge & back! Our deluxe king size room was tastefully decorated & very clean..would recommend for a chilled out break!

• Deluxe Double Room

Just a little thing : a table with regular chair would be convenient for breakfast

We loved everything : the bed were great, it was quiet, the room was perfect. It was possible to borrow kayaks, paddles, etc And it was cheap for all the services included

• Double Room with Pool View

Extremely Loud spanish music at pool by a guest until 10 pm. Hotel does not have policy to tell to lower volume, i.e. their message is rest of the guests "go suffer". Next to highway and noisy.

Kayak is free. Rooms have been renovated after Irma storm. Keys area has recovered after strom except some famous beaches such as Bahia Honda has not. Every other week, astronomers meet at dusk in Curry State park, see planets galaxies, on Jim's 28 inch telescope Sambero beach is near and good (if do not mind loud Spanish music and little bit of litter). 7 mile bridge is very near by

• Deluxe Double Room

Charming place to stay with old Florida charm. Loved waking up each morning to be greeted by the iguanas on the deck. Nice to be centrally located. Even though there was a glitch with my reservation the staff was very helpful in rectifying the problem and honoring the booked rate. Would definitely stay again on my next trip to the Keys.

• Deluxe Double Room

No big issues from my perspective.

Great value - we stayed in the two story building. Rooms were updated. Not huge but more than we expected for the money. We kayaked so that was cool. Iguanas were chilling on the dock so that was neat.

huge, spacious rooms, easy water access, above average breakfast, friendly staff, kayak free to use awesome! paddle boards, fishing poles, bikes too, loved it!

• Deluxe Double Room

The new rooms are nicely decorated and have hard surface floors, which is wonderful. The continental breakfast is much more than expected. There is no view but we loved the location. They have kayaks and other water sports equipment available for free and the pool is great!!

• Deluxe Double Room

The parking was kind of a hassle. But other then the parking I think it was a great place.

Great bang for your buck. All the extras that come with this room where amazing. I wasn’t expecting it to be this nice but it was truly a great experience for me and my family.

• Double Room with Pool View

Our room was facing the highway. A little noisy but tolerable with the A/C on. Would suggest to book a room more on the interior of the property.

The room was recently renovated, clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. We enjoyed the pool and my husband even caught some fish from the dock!

• Double Room with Pool View

there was no fan in the room and it was quite noisy being close to the main road, the fan might have helped that

the price, the bikes etc being included for price and the newness of the room Staff were lovely and helpful

• Deluxe Double Room

The shower water only gets Luke warm.

We enjoyed that we could use the kayaks, paddle ores and bikes for free. We stayed in the new building and the room was very spaciou

Had a room in the new building ( recommended), large, clean, comfortable, liked the fridge, microwave and coffeemaker, liked the porch to sit outside, but the chairs need cushions. very friendly reception staff.

• Double Room with Pool View

Was what we expected for the Florida Keys. Not too bad nothing special. Rates very high for the room and facilities (Vegas is less expensive), but in line with other similar hotel/motel facilities in the keys.

• Deluxe Double Room

A room with a kitchen would have been nice . Only four on the property.

Great place to stay. Great to see all the improvements they were doing.Found two beaches close by ,very nice.

• Double Room with Pool View

Beautifully decorated with a seaside feel, clean, recently updated. Nice layout with a table for two in front of the patio doors. Patio with views of pool and lawn, and real wood Adirondack chairs!

• Double Room with Pool View

Full length mirrors should be fixed in the rooms. Water should be provided with the room at no extra charge. Fruits can be added in the breakfast menu.

• Double Room with Pool View

The only thing I didn’t like was that there was sand fleas. Put sand fleas are really anywhere that there is tropical weather just make sure you bring some skin so soft .

The canal in the back of the room.

• Double Room with Pool View

The office is not open 24/7. What is considered complimentary continental breakfast is coffee and a few items like cereal in a cooler. The keys to the door were difficult to use, and could have been properly labeled. There was a dead roach on my floor. At one point, the housekeeping or grounds person was opening my door to enter while I was in room after 2pm...neee heard of housekeeping so late in the day.

The location was near the event I was in town for. I liked the addition of a porch on my room.

• Deluxe Double Room

The boat ramp was way to steep and was barely able to launch boat and to take the boat out of the water I had to go to a public marina away from the hotel to remove the boat from the water. Not what I was hoping for.

The staff was nice and everything was really clean.

• Deluxe Double Room

Lobby was small and that's were the continental breakfast was located. Didn't stay to eat. The guests next to us were up late and were load. Didn't get very much sleep. The cost of the room was high.

The staff was very friendly. Enjoyed the free Kayaking. Manatee swam right by us.

• Double Room with Pool View

We were supposed to have a pool view but had to go into parking lot to see it. Our room was on a canal but only had a high window and couldnt see it. Bathroom had 2 holes in wall by trash can. Floor was extremely dirty. Would have been better if they numbered the parking spaces so everyone had assigned spaces.

Was a comfortable bed.

• Double Room with Pool View

Many upgrades have been made this older resort. It exceeded our expectations. They offered many amenities, like free bike rentals. There were kayaks and paddle boards available too, but we didn’t have time to enjoy them. We would stay again.

• Deluxe Double Room

Because it’s “Old Florida “, I’m sure there wouldn’t be any interest in bathroom renovations, but they look older. Grout around tube had mildew, otherwise bathroom is clean.

Room was large, nice double beds. Staff at evening desk & pool guy were extremely nice & accommodating. There was an Old Florida feeling here. Great location

• Deluxe Double Room

Kayaks were okay bit the bikes were old school. Breakfast is limited. Pool is mediocre. Staff is amazing. Amazing. Love them

Housekeepers are the sweetest! Tip them well. They work hard! I loved my stay.

• Double Room with Pool View

Air conditioning could have been colder. Depending which housekeeper was on duty, housekeeper only gave 1 wash cloth for 2 people. We would have to go ask for the second wash cloth.

I liked the complementary bag of ice everyday. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. The staff was friendly. The weather was perfect and the sun bright everyday.

• Queen Room with Canal View

Room was nice but it was not the view that we had booked-we did not get the canal view we registered for. The daily cleaning only included changing towels and making the beds.

The pool was wonderful. The kayaks and the access to the water was nice. The area was very quiet and the room was huge.

• Queen Room with Canal View and Kitchen

Canal room we stayed could use a remodel. Older appliances worked, so can't complain. Air conditioner loud, but provided white noise, which was good because you can hear a lot when off...wink-wink :D

Stayed in canal room with kitchen. While a tad dated, room was fine for us, as we were too busy sightseeing and enjoying the amenities (kayaks, fishing poles, iguanas). Dealt mainly with Alex at front desk...awesome!

• Double Room with Pool View

The breakfast was too late in the morning (8am) and if you got there 5 mins. after, half the food was gone and not replenished!

The front desk girl was super pleasant and so was one of the maintenance guys, Eddie. The use of free bikes and kayaks was also wonderful. Breakfast was included.

• Deluxe Double Room

Prices in the Keys have gone way up. As they rebuild after the hurricane, big ugly, sterile franchises are popping up. Coconut Cay is classic Keyzee style, and the price is still affordable! It is quaint, colorful, clean, large room, big shower, on a canal, has kayaks, a pool and a friendly staff. I highly recommed Coconut Cay Resort. It is great value fir your money.

The cleaning staff leaves a lot to be desired. If you’re expecting more than fresh towels and trash taken out every day this isn’t the place for you. In the 7 days we were there the floors were never swept. The property is sandy so I would have expected them to clean the floors. The only other problem we had was with one of the front desk staff, Alex, she was not very friendly or helpful. When we went to get signed up for the kayaks she gave us absolutely no information. I had to ask her where to get the equipment and how long we could use it and she seemed annoyed by my questions.

The location on the marina was beautiful. Also like that they had kayaks and bicycles to us for free. We stayed in the new rooms which were very nice, but they surely could use a small table in them. We did have a technical issue and the maintenance staff was quick and friendly to slow the issue.

• Queen Room with Canal View

Too close to the road. Also when we got home someone from the resort tried to charge our debit card 4 different amount transactions after we already paid. My bank is looking into this fraud.

It was clean

• Double Room with Pool View

Mattresses were uncomfortable, and had a rattle to them (like they had a waterproof mattress pad on them). They made me sweaty and I tossed and turned all night. The room was cool so it wasn’t the air temp that made me hot.

The room was big and clean, very nicely decorated.

A little over priced but not as bad as Key West hotel!

good continental breakfast..everyone was very friendly and helpful..offered free bicycles and kayaks.. very nice..kind of retro hotel of the past..well kept place

• Deluxe Double Room

They accused me of false damage to the room and odors of fish and smoke smells. After speaking with the district manager Lisa who was completely rude and unprofessional I have to Now resort disputing $750 for fees and damage that was not done by me or my guess. Completely unprofessional and rude. I would not recommend anyone staying there ever because they try to hustle you and steal your money.

• Deluxe Double Room

Nothing! Well, maybe a lack of mirrors in our room so that more than one person at a time could get ready with one bathroom.

EVERYONE on staff was REALLY great. The free use of kayaks and bikes was a treat, and we may not have done either if we had to rent them and plan a formal outing. Our room was clean and well appointed, and we loved the large decks with nice deck furniture to enjoy. It paved the way for friendly conversation with our hotel neighbors. For a family of four with two teens, the experience was just perfect.

• Queen Room with Canal View

Office staff upon check in wasn’t very nice, bed was hard and squeaky, tiny bugs around sink area. We got an older room in original building.

The pool area, free kayaks and bikes and the bbq pits! Manatees in the canal right out our room! Office staff on check out was very sweet!

While in the office I heard no less than 3 parties told that when you book via a 3rd party that they guarantee that you'll have "a room", but don't guarantee that it'll be the type of room you actually booked. Of course, that's absolute bull. It's not like these 3rd parties are just booking things willie nilly...the hotel is the one that posted their property on this site, tagged the different rooms available and their features, etc. Anyway, we booked a room tagged as "ocean view" (when told that, they outright said "we don't have ocean view rooms, only canal view"...which, again...YOU tagged your room as ocean view...) Anyway, that's obviously complaint one: they don't even have ocean view rooms, yet have rooms tagged as ocean view. They only have rooms on the canal. Oh well...canal is still kinda cool. Second complaint would be: my room wasn't even on the canal. Again, they told me that since I booked it on a 3rd party site they just put me wherever and that's all there is to it. They stuck me 2 buildings in from the canal, nowhere near the ocean, facing a road and the roof of another building. That's what I got for my "ocean view" tagged room. Oh well...at least there's free kayaks and stuff, right? Well, why not make the best of the situation and at least use the canal to get to the ocean, right? Well...they've got enough kayaks...but not very many life-vests. So when we asked for them, we got just got told all the life-vests were out already so that can't give us anything for the water at all. So that didn't exactly go as planned either. The rooms themselves were relatively nice. And at least the staff was relatively friendly and personable as they were explaining how much they were screwing us. Other than that it was not a particularly good experience.

• Deluxe Double Room

bathroom very outdated, Mould around the tub was very evident. Bedroom needed floor mats or rugs, and the table could have been better to eat on. The room only had a bedside table, so we were not able to eat comfortably in the room.

Bed was clean and comfortable

• Double Room with Pool View

The only small inconvenience was the small size of the office area where the continental breakfast was served. It got crowded when more than a few people were inside.

The lady who checked me in was excellent, friendly and informative. The room was bright and clean, and the bed was great. The grounds were well-maintained.

Continental breakfast was fine but there was no place to eat it other than carting it back to your room. There were no trays or easy way to carry cereal. Boxes, milk box coffee cups etc. Rooms were clean Nd comfortable but very basis. Reasonable amenities. A bit pricey for what was there.

They need to put a counter/cabinet/ small table in the bathroom to hold toiletries. Also it lacked something to put a suitcase on.

Beautiful room. Really clean and updated.

• Deluxe Double Room

There were not any outdoor sitting areas or hammocks located on their grounds.. The keys resorts are known for their outdoor living areas and that was very disappointing.

Our room was very nice and very clean. The pool was very large and the grounds were very clean.

• Deluxe Double Room

Lots of traffic noise sits very close to rt 1.It is like staying at a truckstop. If you take the kayaks out you are taking your life in your hands trying to get in on a very slippery boat ramp. Make sure you specify to stay on the first floor or you have a lot of stairs to climb

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We stayed at this resort and really had a very nice experience. I was skeptical after reading some negative reviews but our stay was very pleasant. Would recommend to anyone. Its located close to stores and restaurants. I also used the bikes that were available. Thank you Coconut Cay!

• Deluxe Double Room

Very bad service. Got into our room and asked to wait for over 2 hours for them to fix the hot water. Ended up moving rooms at around 9pm and then were able to take a shower. Very poor service! Later told us they would refund $50, but did not after repeated calls.

Room was nice.

• Deluxe Double Room

Rude management, did not receive the room we were told and they did not honor your price. Very disappointed as we have stayed in Keys many times and this was the worst! And they were trekking customers NOT to use Booking.com

View

• Double Room with Pool View

Arrived early, could not check in, could not do any paperwork, had to return to complete check in which consisted of them getting a copy of my license and credit card. Asked for a bathroom, was directed to the pool which was locked. Had to get housekeeping to open it and then the bathrooms were out of order.

The room looks like it was recently redone.

• Double Room with Pool View

This hotel/motel is vastly overpriced as well as most hotels/motels are in the Florida Keys. In any other community in the U.S. these motels/hotels should be $29.99 to $49.99 per night. The older rooms have mold around the tub caulking and dusty A/C vents. No mats in slippery tubs. Marathon and points south have not yet fully recoverd from the Hurricane. Beaches were not yet useable. Pool heater was not functional.

Staff was helpful and friendly. Was close to our event (* Marathon Seafood Festival)and Marathon Beaches, Shopping and Dining. Cable TV and fridge/microwave in room was good.

We were on the second floor and that was not shown on their website. My husband was recovering from knee surgery which made it difficult. Poor parking, not enough spaces per unit. Advertised a light breakfast but that was in the office so you had to grab and go.

The room was recently updated and clean. Location was good for exploring the Keys.

• Deluxe Double Room

I just bought Here would have been a bit more at the breakfast offered. But that is so minor in comparison to all the amenities you did offer. Overall an excellent place and I will be referring to other people.

Loved the fact that you had grills and a lot of outdoor seating. Also loved that kayaking, bikes, fishing poles were included in the stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. And the rooms was very clean and the beds were comfy. A definite place s after a long day of exploring the area.

• Deluxe Double Room

Optional laundry facilities (even for additional cost/coin laundry) would be a great convenience of added.

Room was clean, parking was easily available and location ideal.

• Double Room with Pool View

Toast and coffee isn't breakfast. Parkingwas terrible. I asked for a single king and got a double queen.

The room and bed were nice and comfortable.

• Deluxe Double Room

I specifically booked two queen beds on booking.com, and when I arrived, all of those rooms were sold out, and they forced me to take a room with one queen bed and my daughter on a cot. Additionally, when I was checking in, the door was locked, and it was pouring outside. We banged on the door for five minutes, and finally someone opened the door.

I loved how there was kayak rentals. My family and I were beginners in kayaking, and we went to the lake in the back to go for the first time! We had a blast. Also, the breakfast is pretty good, and the staff was somewhat helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

Office closed at 10 pm. we were running late due to traffic, luckily part of our group had come in earlier and were able to check in for me.

Room was nice and clean

• Deluxe Double Room

The beds were too high and the legs stuck out and we would trip on them. The beds had plastic sheets that were hot to sleep on and the sheets were too big and would slip all over the place.

It was clean, convenient, and affordable. The housekeeper was wonderful.

There was nothing to not like at this property .

Location is perfectly located in the middle of the Keys . Charming setting we had a room on the water that was perfect .

• Deluxe Double Room

Refrigerator was off and the door was closed when we walked in. Opened it and it smelled like old fish. Needed some routine maintenance inside. /cold water faucet needed to be tightened on the sink. Faucet in the shower had screws loose and the shower head was shaky. You also need bigger TV's.

Location. Convenient and nicely situated on the water. Staff was very nice, polite and helpful. Looks like they are still recovering from Hurricane Irma. Beds were comfy and the decks were a nice place to hang out.

• Queen Room with Canal View

The bed was very old and noisey..advertised as a resort was disapointing..out if date everything

Nice on the water..with manatees where we could see them

The air conditioner had a horrible thumping like someone was on the outside kicking it non stop when it was running. And I can not remember for sure if I mentioned it or not when we signed out .

Pretty clean . IT was reasonably priced for area , we had close parking .I did tell them that one lamp had the turn knob missing and another issue before we left for a bite to eat and by the time we got back the things were fixed . Very impressed !

No hot water in the shower unless the sink hot water was turned on. Continental breakfast and especially the coffee was weak. No tables close by to eat at. Sitting in the back and pool side was nice but too far to take food without a tray.

The bed was extremely comfortable. It was clean and newly remodeled.

• Deluxe Double Room

I cannot believe there was not an ice machine. Good grief you’re in Florida and might want a cold beverage. Also, the rooms did not have a coffee maker and the lobby didn’t open until 8:00 a.m. Not great for early risers...

The room was very clean.

• Deluxe Double Room

Doors to room and bathroom were very squeaky. Office was not open early enough for breakfast so we went across the road.

Rooms were clean and location was good.

• Deluxe Double Room

House keeping was poor. Continental breakfast was not put out as posted at 8:00 am. Bed was not changed and you would leave tracks in the shower from walking across the floor. ( that’s filthy)

• Deluxe Double Room

The deck would be much more enjoyable if the spotlights weren't shining right at you ot could be turned off and on by the guests.

We were in a brand new room, in a new building.

• Queen Room with Canal View and Kitchen

A negative point is that my visa card was charged several times. I still do not know which party made that mistake (Booking.com, visa or the hotel) But the matter was solved by visa in short time.

We stayed in a room with canalview. On the other side, there are bushes and trees, but especially beautiful iguanas. We had a well-equipped kitchen and a spacious room. A private patio with furniture and a picnic table. It was wonderful to sit there. The spacious room with separate kitchen and dining area can use some maintenance here and there but that does not add up to the space, comfort and sitting outside. For the Keys an excellent price quality ratio and I can wholeheartedly recommend the accommodation. A negative point is that my visa card is taxed several times. Whether this is a mistake of visa or of the hotel remains to be seen, but that will be fine.

Breakfast facilities not good. You had to collect your (very boring) breakfast and coffee and bring it to the room

Very nice welcome by Alex :-) Got upgraded to a room with a view over the canal :-)

Breakfast very limited.

Our building was recently built & looked very new. We loved taking the bikes(free rental) to Sombrero beach. Staff was very pleasant & helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast is only bagels and cereal (milk was expired) they should have a better selection for being a resort. The front desk lady called to tell us we need to check out even though we booked for 2 nights after looking into it again she realized she was wrong.

The rooms are really nice and clean.

Very noisy to close to US1. Bugs were big, no coffee maker, no ice machines. Expensive for what we received. Will not recommend this to anyone.

Close to everything, bed was comfortable

• Deluxe Double Room

The shower was lukewarm at best so we were taking cold showers. The handle in the shower only turned halfway. I complained to the front desk 7-8 times and I was continually told there was nothing wrong with the water temperature or the handle. We were there 4 nights and 2 of the evenings we had to get a key to a vacant room to shower. I would definitely not stay at this motel again. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. No coffee pot in the room for convenience...you have to walk to the front desk in the morning. I don’t believe I have ever stayed somewhere where something like water temperature wasn’t taken care of immediately.

The beds were comfortable and the price was reasonable are the only good things about this motel.

• Deluxe Double Room

Needs more space for parking

Attention to my request for extra pillow provided the longer ones for my back. Fragrance in room was very nice. Very clean.

• Deluxe Double Room

Would have liked a coffee maker in room. Would have liked bigger coffee cups for breakfast. More selections for breakfast would be nice. Towel hooks in room would be nice.

Friendly staff.

• Deluxe Double Room

The view was nice, stairs and parking not so much, the new building addition was nicely decorated but the breakfast not that great but all in all GREAT!

Browse Coconut Cay Resort traveller photo gallery