Reviews of Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria 2 stars

5716 South Van Dorn Street, Alexandria, VA 22310, USA

#27 of 41 hotels in Alexandria

• King Corner Room - Non-Smoking

It is difficult to walk anywhere because it is located off a busy highway but public transit is so good it did not make it that inconvenient. It really was not an issue. About the only negative I can think of!

We got there early. They let us check in early and upgraded our room. It is a $15 Uber from the Hotel to National Harbor. I liked that. I think it cost $25 to use an Uber to get to Georgetown! The train station is real close but we did not use it! Great Food Delivery close to the Hotel! The rooms at other Hotels were double what we spent at this facility, in the surrounding area! Pretty Nice Overall!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Toilet was always clogged and the chain in the tank kept coming off. Cleaning staff never refilled the coffee...had to constantly ask. Also was charged for the safe in the room although never used it. They said they will credit me but not done yet.

Breakfast was great!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hot water was off. Our first room was not handicap accessible. The room we moved to with a walk in shower had no grab bars on the walls in the shower. A clear ADA violation. I was very uncomfortable bathing. Not satisfied at all.

• Suite

The windows need cleaning :) Would also be nice to be able to open them. The neighborhood is nothing special - but that's not the hotel's fault.

The front desk staff are fantastic - super friendly and super helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent - there's something for everyone. The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds comfy.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Looked older from outside. Right on the highway which was very convenient. Just couldn't walk anywhere. Pool wasn't open. Shuttle stopped in the middle of the day.

Convenient to all highways. The staff was helpful and nice. Clean rooms

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was extremely close to a metro stop. The staff was extremely nice the minute we checked in. And did not know they did a free shuttle to the metro stop as well. So it was pleasant to hear that they did.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

My room was not ready for me on time. I arrived before check-in time (3:00 pm) and didn't mind waiting till three. But even well after three, it was still not ready for occupancy until almost 4:00 pm. Staff should be directed to be sure to have rooms cleaned and available by check in time ESPECIALLY for guests who are already in the lobby, waiting for their rooms! I was also disappointed that Comfort Inn did not offer lunch or dinner at the hotel. That wouldn't matter if that particular hotel had been in an area where one could easily walk to a nearby restaurant. But this particular hotel is surrounded on all sides by major highways. I believe the addition of a simple lunch and dinner buffet (along the lines you offer for breakfast) would be very welcome to future guests. Another option would be to offer a wider variety of simple canned or frozen lunch/dinner options for guests to warm up themselves in your existing dining room.

My room and bed were superb = nice firm mattress, handicap accessible shower, pleasant room and amenities. Staff were courteous and helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The only thing that I can say was negative about the place was that it was difficult getting in and out of the parking lot there such as access to the main highway is tricky a very sharp turn which is easily missed.

It was very accessible to get into downtown and Washington DC Mall with a shuttle that takes you right to the Metro. It was very clean and had a absolutely great breakfast!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the eggs were real eggs and were very tasty, no cookies at 6pm like other inns but coffee was very good. the shuttle was great for getting to Metro and back. The room was small but location was good.

• Queen Room

The staff was not very warm and friendly. Not one I encountered (starting with Jamie at the front desk) seemed to realize they’re in the hospitality industry. Smiles and empathy were in short supply!

Wonderful breakfast buffet selection. Very comfortable mattress and clean linens. Our pet friendly suite (#103) was clean and spacious. Nice lobby and coffee station👍🏽 Hubby was satisfied with the gym for a basic workout and stretching routine.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Only minor thing was the sausages and burgers were more warm than hot but still edible.

Staff were extremely helpful and polite eg. our room safe wouldn't work on day of arrival and the maintenance man came and diagnosed the problem and quickly replaced the lock all within 10 minutes. Free shuttle service made getting into Washington very easy - metro cist about $9 return to get into centre of Washington. Breakfast was good value for money with fair range of hot and cold selection of food. Beds were lovely and comfortable. Although no restaurants nearby the hotel provided a raft of take-out menus which delivered to the hotel and that worked for us.The waffles at breakfast were fab. Also loved the complemetary tea and coffee on tap in reception.

Rooms are small for the amount of furniture in them. Could be updated and maintenance should be checking for repairs. The plug in our bathroom was so loose that my hair straightener would not stay in the plug.....should be replaced.

The front desk staff were all friendly and helpful. The shuttle to the Metro is great and they are very timely in picking you up from the station, which is the Blue line and very convenient to Washington DC attractions. Breakfast each morning was adequate for our needs and had plenty of options. Dining room staff were very attentive to refilling food choices as needed. Guest Rooms are in need of updating and some repairs. The bottom of our bathroom door was pealing away as if there had been a flood at one time in the bathroom and it took us awhile to get someone to fix our bathroom sink which was draining VERY slowly. None of the guest room doors have a catch to stop it from slamming shut, might be something for the hotel to consider since those doors slam really hard and make a lot of noise in the hallway. BUT if you're here to see the sites your not in the room that much and the beds and pillows were very comfortable. I would still come back and use this hotel....staff attitude means a lot and they were very gracious during our week long stay.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The location makes it difficult to get to without transport. Thankfully there is a shuttle to the metro and bus stop. Something I wish I had been informed of upon my initial arrival...

It is reasonably priced and even provides breakfast free.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The front desk lady whose name is Jamie was impolite and was never smiling during the three days we were there. She was always too busy talking to other employees to help. We asked her about places to go or to eat around the city and her answer was always "I don't know" . We asked her for a pharmacy close by and for a box that my son needed and the answer was the same. One of the shuttle drivers didn't even know the rules of the shuttle. One guest asked if he could ride with his young children in the shuttle standing up. The driver said he didn't know and my husband has to pointed out that there was a sign on the shuttle door that stated that guests needed to be seated.

Loved the location, the shuttle service to the metro station. Breakfast was hot and with a variety of items. Room was clean and love the fridge and microwave. Daniel the shuttle driver was very polite and helpful.

No complaints

Rooms were clean but a little small and dated. Beds were very comfortable. Breakfasts were great! Good selection and the waffles were delicious. For our needs this Comfort Inn and Suites was ideal. We would stay here again if we are in the area in the future.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

No hot water in shower in our initial room, though sink did have. Shower handle broken. Had to switch rooms, which was done. Left bedside lamp cord in our second room No. 406 was frayed. Could be dangerous. Also, right bedside lamp in same room sparked when turning off.

Breakfast bar very good.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The facility is very dated and in need of updating. Beds are well used so may be time to replace mattresses. All in all it worked out fine for the short time we needed to stay.

The location worked out well for us. Breakfast had lots to choose from.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

low water pressure and noisy equipment on the 9th floor.

There was a mechanical problem with my initial 9th floor room which was corrected the next morning by changing to a 2nd floor room upgrade at no additional price. Well handled to my satisfaction. The breakfast buffet was the best I have ever been offered even when staying at facilities twice the price. Comfort Inn has just become my go to choice. Well done team, keep up the good work.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Was over charged based on what I confirmed too My 1 night stay went from $94 to $103 Plus another $8.75? Got nicked and dimed I guess. Hotel was good but won’t be recommending to anyone.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was a comfy hotel. Breakfast was fine - eggs, sausage gravy, packaged oatmeal, etc. Bed was comfortable. Room had everything I needed (coffee/tea). Easy to get to & not far from Alexandria. You can hear the traffic from the highway - but I was so tired, it didn't bother me at all. Nice staff!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel shows signs of age. It was also hard to get into and out of the hotel because of it's location and the heavy traffic out front.

Location - only a short ride to the metro. Very desirable when visiting D.C.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

When we arrived, the water was off for several hours. We had to travel to a Mall to use rest room. Very dangerous exit from parking lot, into traffic. We saw an accident there on our 2nd day.

Front desk girl was very pleasant. Bed was comfortable. Housekeeping staff seemed very pleasant.

Booked a smoking room but when I got there all the rooms were non smoking . Management had a nasty attitude almost made me want to switch hotels. My reservation details said pay upon arrival and they tired to run my card before I got there and threatened to cancel my stay if I didn’t let the charges through.

Housekeeping ladies were sweet . Frozen food , snacks, and wine could be purchased at front desk.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

A gift had been left for us with the front desk staff. It was to be put in our room before we arrived. This did not happen and when we learned that we were supposed to receive this, we asked for it at the front desk and it was found in the office. Someone dropped the ball!

The room was adequate for the price, which was excellent. The shuttle to the metro was great, timely and efficient.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There were NO restaurants even close to the hotel. We were charged for use of the safe in the room even though we didn't use it. I did finally get that refunded. One of the desk clerks was less than friendly. I felt as though she was doing me a favor for letting us stay there. There was a 10% additional charge to the room on my credit card. When I brought this up, I was told it would be refunded IF we didn't cause any damage or pilfer anything from the room. I felt as though they had my card on file, why charge it up front and refund later?

The hotel was clean and the breakfast was fine. We had shuttle service to and from the metro station to get to our destinations with no problems.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Took 1 days payment prior to arrival, then took double payment off another credit card. Rang to advise them, they said the manager would return call. 4 days later, still waiting. Because if this error, it ended up costing us more in transaction costs even though we had a refund.

Nice anenities, room was large, full buffet breakfast great for travellers.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Scrambled eggs were always swimming in liquid/water. A full pan of eggs had the liquids all the way to the top. Apparently, too much water/milk was added when the eggs were reconstituted. Also, our room was on the 9th (top) floor and there were noises coming from the roof that sounded like the end of a fireworks show. Staff advised that there are roof repairs in the near future and offered a different room.

Loved the courtesy bus to the Metro station. Drivers pleasant and very helpful answering our questions about the DC area. The desk clerk (young lady) in the evening was so knowledgeable and helpful; she really made us feel welcome! It's so close to the MetroRail Blue line.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The beds were too firm for me (not a pillow top), but not for my husband. There was nothing in walking distance. Various eateries were a 10 minute drive away, like Bonefish Grill, KFC, Macaroni Grill, Noodles & Co, DQ, pizza, etc.

The breakfast was better than the normal fare. There were various offering; eggs- hot and boiled; sausage, bacon, sausage gravy; breads, Danishes, hot waffles; yogurt; grits and oatmeal packages; juice and coffee. The shuttle to and from the metro took only 5 - 7 minutes. No scheduled time, I called, waited a few minutes for pickup. Loved it!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The room was very confortable, the bathroom was clean and looks new, the room is quiet, good breakfast to begin our day, parking lot available, and the most importan, the staff is very friendly and always willing to help the customer. Thank you. The location of the hotel is excellent, close to Old town in Alexandria, but very easy access to the highways to visit the museums, National Mall and other interesting places in the D.C.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The bed was to high , a step stool was required to get into it. Without our gps I don't think we would have found it.

Breakfast was good. Laundry facilities were good.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The free breakfast was less than desirable. The room was damp/humid and the bathroom smelled bad the entire time. The housekeeper did not change sheets when asked.

The price was great in comparison to other properties. The free parking and shuttle were a plus. Front desk staff was excellent. The proximity to Alexandria and DC was convenient.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I don't ride elevators so I did not like the fact that you could not take the stairs from the lobby up to the rooms. You had to go outside and wait for someone from the inside to unlock the door for you to get inside.

The pillows were very comfortable.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The beds were too soft for me. If you are staying at this on the beltway hotel for the free breakfast, DON'T! There is nothing around.

The staff smiled.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The surrounding area was busy and the breakfast area was crowded.

The staff was exceptional. They were Very friendly, helpful, and always available. I was so impressed with them.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

On check out day it was hard to find a cart for our things.

The breakfast was wonderful. The beds were comfortable & the temperature in the room was just right. The shuttle was right on time each and every time!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We had adjoining rooms for our family. They were clean and neat. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The shuttle to the metro station was easy to use and the driver was friendly.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast area was quite small. Couple minor issues w/room (closet door kept getting off track and the bathroom faucet barely reached over the counter top. At times difficult to thoroughly wash your hands).

Overall cleanliness and comfortability.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The likes definitely outweigh the dislikes and these are not enough at all to make us stay somewhere else next time but the breakfast area is very small and the hotel needs updating.

The staff was awesome, having hot breakfast was fabulous, the beds were comfy and the rooms were clean.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

That we only got to spend two nights :(

OMG my best friend, kids and I wish we had a longer stay at this facility. Accessible to all. The apartment is well kept and the breakfast is lovely. NO CONTINENTAL (REAL BREAKFAST) loads of choices to choose from. Waffles, toast, biscuits, eggs, sausages, patties, bagels, muffins, oatmeal, cereal, fruits, milk, apple juice, cranberry juice, orange juice, coffee etc. Did I mention how courteous the staff were? The lifeguard was very friendly as well. I would definitely stay on location again once I'm town.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

All the staff were very friendly and helpful - front desk, shuttle drivers, and breakfast room. Have stayed here whenever in the D.C. area for the last twenty-five years and have never been disappointed.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The door in the bathroom was warped like there was water damage and that kind of freaks me out because I was afraid that something might have flooded there was no fan or vent in the bathroom so there's a lot of condensation.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Cleaning staff left one of our room doors open and a baseball hat was taken Staff was not very professional, although they did give us a credit, they were difficult to deal with. Booked 2 rooms and asked for them to adjoining and they were not.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

At 11am, house keeping kept banging on the door and walking away every 10min. I would say hello and no one would answer. The 3rd time I looked out the door and a lady with an attitude is standing there said " Check out is at 11am and if your staying longer tell the front desk". I called front desk, they were ok about leaving at 12 but I was in town for an important meeting and that completely wrecked my morning. .

Front desk staff was great! Clean room. Booking.com made it easy and affordable.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Carpet was slightly moist, probably because we had a few very hot days and the AC was running on high.

Great breakfast! There were a lot of options and everything tasted good! The staff was extremely helpful telling us how to use the metro. Convenient (and free) shuttle to and from the metro.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Rooms are tired need updating and minor maintenance. Noise from nearby airport was obvious. Breakfast was average with only one poor staff member trying to keep up restocking food with bus loads of people eating and not enough room to move in dining room. Probably wouldn't stay here again as I think for the money you could do better.

Location if you have a car easy to go to nearby shops and freeway. Staff very friendly and helpful.

They messed up my reservation.I booked a double bed but was given a single.They had no room to change me to, but they didnt charge me for a suite (still had a single bed w/ a pull out)so that was good.Hotel was clean and quite.Staff was really great.

Free Breakfast

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel is next to a highway so there was some noise from the highway that you could hear until you fall asleep. You will need some type of transportation for everything. The closest area with restaurants and stores is about 2 mikes away.

I stayed here for a cheerleading completion at National Harbor. Travel time was about 10 minutes by car. The breakfast was good for what it is. Waffles, egg, sausage, cereals, juice etc. The price was right.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Couldn't get a blanket at night was told they were locked up and couldn't have till morning; pointless then. Didn't know School teams were there; kids came in and ate all the food and it wasn't filled fast enough to eat or have a place to sit. Was charged more than booking.com quoted. Room phone didn't work. Shuttle didn't run when there was an inch of snow. Living in the northeast you'd think they could drive in it. Had to call Uber.

The idea of a buffet breakfast and shuttle.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Pay to park? Def won't be coming here again. Staff was lackluster outside of the cleaning crew. Ice machine was broken. People above us blasting music till 2am. Wasn't told about free breakfast?

Rooms were clean. Beds were nice. View was nice.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Suite

The hotel is next to exit 495. Once you missed it you go straight to the highway and with the traffic it will take a while to go back.

Staff are nice from the registration counter to the housekeeping. We had stayed like 5x already at this place so far I had not encountered any problem. We always get the same room that we requested.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Hotel is very nice. The walk to the Metro is OK but there are some busy streets to cross.

Hotel is reasonably convenient to the Van Dorn Blue Line Metro stop. It is walking distance but the hotel has a shuttle service which is good on busy mornings. Didn't have time for breakfast. Good cost effective alternative when attending meetings near Crystal City.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

First time in my travelling practice (in Europe and USA) room was quite comfortable: enough space, two chairs, table, refrigerator, everything in bathroom was OK, staff was nicely responsive to our questions, we did not wait long for shuttle

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was good, good location.....staff was very friendly and helpful, nice and clean room......I recommend this hotel if you want to visit Virginia and Washington DC......they have shuttle bus service to take you to train station that is great.I really like this hotel

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I have used booking.com a lot of times for my hotel reservations when I travel. Never had a problem. Always satisfied of my choosing according to your reviews. This time everything went the other way around. I have been traveling with my three-elderly family (80/85/87 years old) all the hotels I chosen came to the standards I was looking for. 1 room with two queen beds so that I can stay in the room with my elderly family. I got this reservation at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria with the same request. When I arrived there, after waiting 30minutes in the reception desk, (only one girl attending), a lot of people waiting to be served, finally my turn came, I presented my reservation on my cell and she said she didn't have a reservation for me. I told her that booking.com confirm my reservation. She told me then for me to talk to booking.com. I said, no, I got the confirm reservation you called them. So, she did, and confirm that they didn't get your (booking .com) request. I ask to talk to the manager, he was not in. After she asked me to forwarded the confirmation to her reception email, I did, waited more 15 minutes she said she didn´t get the email. I went to get my personal computer, showed her the email I sent to reception has well the confirmation that the email was sent and received. Then finally she said, they recognized the reservation but they had not a room with 2 queen size beds........I told them, ok get me two rooms with queen size or double bed, she said ok , but I had to pay close to 500USD for the two nights. I said no, I will take the 2 rooms for the same value the reservation was confirm. She said no, that she could not do that. She said for me to wait, she would talk to the manager. Waited in the lobby with my 3 elderly family members (after a drive of 300 miles) for about another hour to solve the problem. Since my arrival 2 hours had passed. Finally, after 6 o'clock at night, I decided something had to be done.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Suite

It is noisy being close to the highway and it is difficult to get to the hotel.

The two rooms were very comfortable and the extra powder room was a real bonus!

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Location is near the highway. It's a busy street with big trees covering the entrance to the hotel. If you miss it you will go straight back to the highway.

Cleanliness, room spacious. We're on the suite, with 1 1/2 bath & sofa bed,2tvs . On the lower floor near the exit like what we requested.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Nothing to do with the hotel, but it would have been nice to have sidewalks for taking a stroll - just ended up walking around the hotel parking lot for exercise.

The breakfast was great - could have used a few more bacon days. Location is great, staff very friendly and helpful and shuttle always available to get to the Metro station.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Carpets needs to be replace. Smells like a smokers lounge. Breakfast was okay but would have been nice if they changed it up daily.

The beds were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the hotel can't fix this, but the location made walking ANYWHERE impossible. Hemmed in by highways all around. No restaurant in the hotel made travelers without trans totally dependent on take-out/delivery for dinner. Ok for a night but not the best.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I didn't like just the location because I was supposed to catch the shuttle from the hotel to the subway station and then to use the subway to go to Washington.

The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good as well.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel was located right beside a very busy and loud highway. The combination of road noise and the loud air conditioner made it impossible to sleep. We left after one night for other, quieter accommodations.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Not fancy, but close to DC with a free shuttle to the Metro. It is very close to the interstate and there is a lot of traffic around the hotel. We went out for lunch in DC and brought wine, cheese and bread for a relaxing dinner in our hotel room after hours of exploring the city. Mini fridge and microwave are in the room.Good breakfast with scrambled eggs,sausage ECT was available in the morning. We would definitely use it again.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Queen Room

Area surrounding the property is filthy. Small rooms.

Pet allowed BUT for a fee which they did not elaborate during the reservation process. Breakfast is above average.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was good, beds great, pillows not so good, I love firm pillows. The staff was very good and the drivers were very good. The van could be replaced.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Room carpets could do with a good clean!

The staff at this hotel are amazing. Always greeted with a smile, and everyone is friendly. Nothing was too much trouble, and the lady who works the cafe / breakfast room had us laughing out loud every morning. It's local to the Metro station with a free / complimentary shuttle. Free car parking is perfect for easy access to surrounding areas. We have stayed twice now, and would do again in a heartbeat.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

• Suite

The dinning area was extremely hot (I mean sweating hot) please tint the windows or turn the air up to keep the area comfortable.

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was on point.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Suite

Breakfast room was a little small for the number of guests in the hotel. Too hot to sit outside.

Room was very comfortable. Breakfast was good, with good choices. Shuttle to Metro was a definite plus. Staff was always friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Need scale for weighing luggage.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The staff did not understand English

Location, breakfast offered

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Our stay was just what we needed.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Had to ask to have the room cleaned.

Location was convenient to the graduation destination.

• Suite

Not to much salty snakes choises for breakfast

conveinent

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Bed not that comfortable, Road noise a little loud.

Staff was great!!