Reviews of Comfort Inn Downtown DC/Convention Center 2 stars

1201 13th Street NW, Northwest, Washington, DC 20005, USA

#115 of 138 hotels in Washington

Weird smell in the room, but not unbearable.

Bed was amazingly comfortable, near most of the main attractions of DC. Also close to lots of good restaurants, including one of the best Mexican restaurants I have ever eaten at.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

Prices are not adapted to the state of the building. The rooms are outdated, windows did not open (which did not keep the noise out) and the air conditioning was extremely loud.

The Hotel needs to choose some of their Staff at the front desk Carefully as first impressions are forever lasting, however the Manager Raj is a very polite and helpful Gentleman .

The Breakfast was perfect to start the day off & the onsite laundry came in handy . The Location was good and close to the Local Bus and shop. Would recommend this Hotel the Manager Raj was very polite and helpful.

A mouse was in my room. The front desk offered a new room. I asked to have a trap brought no one ever came. I did receive compensation.

Location and cost. Breakfast available.

more options in breackfast

receptionist Mahinoor was great..check in was smooth and fast, she gave us a good idea about where to go, see, do and eat. she was really helpful.

The room was EXTREMELY small and therefore uncomfortable for 2 people to move around.

Staff was very accommodating to all our needs...friendly and helpful.

The rain! :)

The included breakfast was excellent--not just a continental breakfast, but eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, hot cereal, etc. The staff was very helpful (e.g. providing directions, suggestions for places to eat, etc.), and the "little things" (e.g. popcorn machine and cookies in the afternoon) were a nice touch. A reasonable walk to the Convention Center, so location is good. Since it rained quite a bit while I was there, it was also nice that the hotel provided umbrellas for the walk to the Convention Center.

There wasn't a fan in the bathroom and the rooms were small.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Rajesh even came out front and helped us get unloaded and checked in. The breakfast was great too. There was plenty to choose from and it was tasty too.

Our room was dirty and when we complained the problem wasn’t corrected. The day manager was very understanding though and corrected the issue. The breakfast was not very good, especially the eggs. Normally at Comfort Inns they are at least edible, these were not.

The location was good.

• Standard 1 King Bed Corner Room Non Smoking

the bed was hard. Valet spilled a large soda on my front passenger side. After being told there was soda on the floor

located close to the capital 1 arena.

Bathrooms are small; but in downtown DC for a budget hotel, I expected this.

When we encountered a problem with a tour bus that didn't meet expectations, the staff arranged for a refund of the pre-paid deposit and assisted with new arrangements at the last minute during a busy cherry blossom (peak season) weekend. Very helpful and friendly staff. Also a very good complimentary breakfast.

Breakfast is diy and the breakfast room got quite crowded at times. I really did not like the disposable plates/bowls and plastic cutlery - that’s a lot of waste.

Good location for our needs. Rooms well equipped and bed comfortable.

The breakfast to me could have a more "savory" flair .

The beds were very comfortable , unfortunately the WIFI on the 7th floor was poor . The TV size for a hotel was adequate The room was a decent size and the same with the bathroom . Joshish he manager was extremely helpful and the right attitude . Sadly the breakfast for me ( diabeties ) was too "sweet " . The hotel is quite well situated being between 2 Metro stations.,- Mc Pherson and Mt.Vernon , the latter being somewhat closer . at arrival the personnel were very helpful indeed .

Service, amenities, size and decoration of the room, common areas. The place is just horribly expensive for what it offers. It is shameful to ask that kind of rate to clients. I paid 5 times its worth.

The room was a bit small and oddly shaped, but this is obviously an old hotel. The location is good, but the nearest Metro stop was several blocks away. It could be a problem for those with limited mobility.

The room and bathroom were clean. The bed was comfortable with plenty of nice pillows (no bedbugs). The free breakfast was great and restocked often throughout the morning. The beverages and snacks available in the afternoon were a nice touch. The Manager treated us very respectly regarding a billing concern we had and did right by us.

Each day we came back to the hotel at night, we had to go up, try to unlock the door with the card, get rejected, go downstairs, ask them to fix the problem and then go up again. Later found out they did this intentionally, and when asked why? they said since most guests stay for one day, they only make the cards valid for one day. even when I stayed for 20 minutes in the lobby, before going upstairs, the lady didn't offer to revalidate my card and I had to go through the process after going to my room door and my card being rejected. Please update your policy. This is very annoying.

Simple but good breakfast. Nice location

Stayed on 2nd floor and found a mouse running around in the room ( 1am) right before we went to bed. Called the front desk and she gave us another room on the highest floor. Heater was inconsistent

There was a constant noise in my room. Also they don't have own parking spots! You HAVE to use the valet parking which is 30$ / day (not per night, per day! Even if you leave sunday morning you will still have to pay for the whole day! And your car will be parked on some street where it can be easily damaged. Rooms could have been a lot cleaner. And I don't know why they even put a window in my room because there was a brick wall right in front of it.. so much for the view.

Breakfast was very good for the price. There was also a fitness room, which was pretty small but it had all the essentials. 24 hour free coffee and tea.

Comfortable, clean rooms. Extensive breakfast and small gym available. Staff was friendly and it was easy to get a late check-out for free. Restaurants and musea are within walking distance.

My sister and I were sharing a bed, the beds were a little small for 2 people. But we were only there for 2 nights, so wasn't too bad.

Value for money. Location was great. Breakfast was included and the it was really good. Staff were friendly.

The strong odor in the original room.

Person at the desk was very accommodating when we asked to change rooms, there was a strong odor in the original room.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

Breakfast was rather poor... almost only really fat and sweetened stuff: pancakes, waffles, donuts,... but almost nothing healthy.

Value for money... to European standards the size of the room was OK, maybe Americans would find it too small. Good wifi and good cushions.

The only minor problem, which wasn't the hotel's fault, there is a Fire/EMS station down the street so sirens were frequent.

Breakfast was great. Many choices for a hot or cold meal.

We liked the hotel. It was much smaller than we expected and it worked for 3 of us but 4 people would have been more difficult. Everything was clean though and breakfast was great. We also liked that we could walk to everything...walking around the city means 5-11 miles of walking if you only have a short time and want to see as much as possible. We walked at least 10-11 miles a day to/from the hotel. Overall, we'd stay again.

Our room was very small. No room for chairs, luckily we were out most of the time.

The front desk was helpful with questions. Liked having breakfast included and my room was clean.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

Number of towels kept changing. One day fewer. Next day old towels not taken and new ones not complete. As though housekeeper was interrupted and didn't get back. Not the end of the world, though, just surprise after along day.

Pillows. Staff helpfulness.

It was a little far our. A 20 min walk to main attractions but that was all

Lovely check in staff. Tea making in room. Clean room. Wifi. Nice continental breakfast included.

The breakfast room is little small for a rush morning, especially in a traveling season.

Location, nearby the most famous sightseeing in WC. The room is cleaning, tidy. Staff is very helpful and experienced.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

The hotel is a bit further away from the bus and train stations than we expected. So the journey was a little longer and it was not so pleasant in the dark. Otherwise everything is in perfect order without any defects. We highly recommend.

The hotel was perfect, great reception and able to advise what to see and go to. Rich breakfast, we could have picked what we really wanted. The rooms were large and they were very comfortable bed. Cleanness for 10 out of 10. Great.

I didn't like that they didn't have a free parking garage. We arrived late at night and it took is well over 45 minutes to find somewhere to park.

The breakfast was great and the room was clean and comfortable. They have free parking on the front street during the weekend if you rather not they have a parking garage for a $30 fee. The staff were pleasant and very helpful.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

The room had old towels and stained sheets. The breakfast made me sick and I was vomiting the whole way home too. No one had cleaned my tub and removed any of the trash. I was to tired to complain and just slept on my sweater.

The toast

The bathroom was a little small but it was clean and served the purpose.

The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The room had plenty of storage space for clothes and the view was great.

No pool, valet parking was very expensive, street parking was very hard to find, rooms were small for double beds as well as the bathroom.

The breakfast was good.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

Great location. They provide valet parking with a charge of about $30/day. You literally don't need a car, as you can bike, or uber. Good breakfast. Don't expect luxury or comfort.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

We didn't like having to leave!

Beds were fantastic, breakfast was great, and the staff was great! Erby, at the front desk, was especially amazing!!

I didn't find something I disliked.

Everything was comfortable and clean The staff very friendly and helpful to me Hospitality was great. I would definitely stay at this Comfort Inn in the future !!!

The rooms were old, rundown & very small. Carpets in the rooms needing replaced and windows. Just updates needed. I was a little surprised to find no ''parking lot' or anywhere to park and the fact they take your car many blocks away to an underground secure lot. The parking attendant took good care of us!

The location was great for visiting DC with our family. The staff was very friendly & helpful!

The elevators were a bit small, but it turned into an interesting novelty. I like staying closer to the mall, but that was the only down side.

Usually we stay at a swanky hotel in DC, but I will tell you, this is like a small swanky hotel. I was very impressed. Friends were staying here and we wanted to be close to them so we stayed here too. The room, while small, was very nicely appointed and we didn't miss the extra space because it was so well thought out. The bathroom was a big bonus for my daughter and myself (mom), it had a WINDOW in it! I have NEVER stayed at a hotel that had a window in the bathroom! Why is this so great? Well if you put on makeup it is the PERFECT lighting! I run VERY WARM, so the AC got beautifully cold in very little time. The valet parking was quick and professional. We were there for a march so we had to check out at 9, but they held our bags for the day so we could have an easy day not toting baggage. They also let our car stay in valet parking until we were ready to go at 7 pm. It was SUPER kind and everyone was so helpful. There were lots of extra pillows which I love. For breakfast, Au Bon Pain is a short walk if you want to grab something fast. I would definitely go back.

On arrival when we were waiting for valet it was a profound smell of marihuana. It was a little bit strange. We traveled with a 14 years old boy and the impression was not the best.

Room was clean, nice décor. The lemon water and coffee at lobby as well as the cookies is a plus. Great breakfast.

It's close proximity to everything.

The location is perfect. Your walk to the Whitehouse from their it's just a 10min walk. So is everything else(Washington monument, Lincoln Memorial, treasury department..etc) also alot of food places near by.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

The staff was some if the friendliest I've ever stayed with. They were courteous and helpful with the extra things like dishes to cook with or umbrellas when it rained.

Bath sink wasn't able to pour all the water from shower. Breakfast is not very good. Breakfast room located in a basement without windows.

Nice staff, quiet location.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

The room was much smaller than expected and a little pokey - possibly because it was located on the corner of the building. Check in staff were a little grumpy - but all other staff great ! would have been nice if upon check-in we were given a little more information about the neighbourhood and the fact that restaurants were located so close by i.e. - pop put the door and go right for a couple of blocks and there's a Whole Foods and lots of Restaurants.

Location was great - good for the price (DC is expensive).

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

About 30 mins walk from station but uphill.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast. Room good size With coffee making facilities and Free wifi.

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

The staff was very helpful and welcoming! Front desk provided me with a map and even marked our location for a better understanding on navigating the city. Location was awesome, minutes away from White House etc. Breakfast was great and had a lot a variety. Room was clean and the cleaning staff was very nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel to all visitors who would want to walk to get a feel of the D.C. area.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

Had some phone calls added to bill that I didn't make. Staff removed for me.

I liked the bed and pillows. Though small, everything was just right. Felt safe and staff were very helpful. They even found a shirt that I left on washer.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

The wait time at the front desk was a bit long - only one staff in the front desk at a time. Perhaps it's better to have more than one staff helping with checking-in during rush hours. Thanks!

I love the breakfast included in the hotel rate. It is awesome! The location is nice, close to the metro station and the White House.

Nothing everything was great it wasn't noisy, staff was friendly and always helpful. I think the only thing I can't give my opinion on was the luggage service I had a gym bag with me so I brought my own stuff to my room. But I did see bellboys available but again I checked in at midnight and only had a small bag.

Breakfast was great there was always enough. It wasn't cold and it wasn't crowded or rushed. I ate around 8:30 and the next day 9:30 (breakfast is from 7am-10am) the availability of the food was the same. I've been to places where the food is gone by 9:30am. Location is great there's a CVS 5min away and White House is 15min walk.

All that need to update is quality of coffee pots, with those pots it's only warm coffee..

For 2 stars hotel it's excellent, price is high but the reason of that is location. Bed quality is perfect, breakfast was ok good.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

Since the building was not very new, didnt have vent system. It was little cold and wasnt able to control room temp.

Location was great. I arrived at the property around 11am but was kindly checked in -which was great Room was cery clean and neat, well maintained

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Small rooms for the price, but comfortable!

Great location, a quick uber ride to the National Mall, and walking distance to the Convention Center. Breakfast has a lot of options. Fitness center has two treadmills, two elliptical, and weights.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Street noise was a muisance, but that's metro DC!

OUTSTANDING desk staff ("Raj"), excellent breakfast bar, rooms were clean with fresh towels/supplies daily, business center met my needs, and entire staff was helpful and friendly! EXCEPTIONAL value!

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Staff were very knowledgeable and very pleasant. The location was great. The rooms were clean and the beds comforting after a long day in DC. We enjoyed the refreshing lemon water and the yummy cookies after our long day.The breakfast was filling and something for everyone. Would definitely come stay here again. Thanks to all at the INN.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

The valet parking staff didn't ask me about prior damages to the car nor did they do a walk through with me after the car was returned. I had to specifically ask them to do an inspection.

Room was very nice and clean especially the restroom

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Breakfast not good and the room was a shoe boxl the worst room I've ever had at a hotel for $100.00. I made a poor choice. Waited at the front desk for 10min before anyone showed up.

Clean bathroom...

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

Up charge for special event, but it was to be expected.

Much better than I expected overall. Small but clean and comfortable room in older hotel. Our room appeared to be up-to-date with necessary features and amenities.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Rooms were a bit tight but we knew that going into it.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was hot and a nice variety to chose from. Mostly we liked the location, it was walking distance to everywhere we wanted to visit.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

We asked the concierge to book us a cab for a 6am pickup to go to the airport. We were told it was booked. When we arrived at reception at 545 the woman phoned to another worker to drive us. He just came and said he would take our bags - it wasn't until we were in the car it became obvious it was not a cab - he charged 35usd which was 10 more than we paid to do the reverse trip. Not happy they did not do what we asked. What about insurance etc? Poor form.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

The ridiculously high price but that's a feature of DC; this hotel actually had the lowest price for a central hotel. I know prices in NY, Paris and even London are lower.

The location was great; nice area and within walking distance of the museums and the White House. The room was large and well equipped. After a year of travel in Europe where most hotels dos not have hot water for tea/coffee nor ironing tools, we were glad to find them here. I loved the popcorn in the lobby. Breakfast was decent if you like waffles and Danishes; I don't so I can't say if they were yummy. I wish there was some fruit, cheese or plain yogurt. The only healthier option was bagel and cream cheese.

Very little except we had no view from our room on the eight floor!!!

The room was very comfortable, clean and spacious. So was the bathroom. The breakfast facilities were slightly limited but satisfactory. The location is excellent.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Staff couldn't care less, the guy who checked us in, Erbie not only did not speak or understand proper English, but he also did not seem to care about his job. The bed-sheets although washed has visible stains on them and the windows are so thin it's like they were open the whole time. Old and outdated facilities: shower, aircon. Overall, not a very nice place. If you can't find something better within a similar price range, it's not a bad place, but I highly doubt nothing better is available.

Location is quite good, within walking distance (10 minutes) of the White House and from there just another 10 minutes to all other attractions of DC.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

The AC air on was a bit smelling in the room Not a big space in the room for luggages but the bathroom was spacious.

Location and staff were good for us

Would highly recommend close to everything .. staff were lovely let us check in early...

The girl at the desk wasn’t nice

Everything was great only concern was room a little small and no microwave

Location to attractions were great. Breakfast was a nice feature.Our room wasn't ready but we were able to store our luggage.

room was small, no room to move around no chair

bed comfy, shower good

Location was good. Rooms were good. Breakfast was good.

The staff was so friendly and the comfort was amazing!

Tiny bathroom. No airport shuttle.

The bed was perfect, bathroom tiny. Loved the variety of restaurants within walking distance from the hotel.

Everything was as expected. An enjoyment to stay. Location excellent!!!

• Queen Room - Non Smoking

Facility needs a complete reno. Breakfast is very poor quality and setting

Friendly staff

The location was very good for sight-seeing in Washington. The staff were very helpful and cheerful. Good value for the money.

Small rooms, slimsy doors, dirty windows, noise during morning hours

Location, reception staff, cleaness.

Felt a lot of tension between the staff, could be friendlier!

Very close to venue, facilities were clean