Reviews of Comfort Inn & Suites University South 3 stars

3501 South State Street, Pittsfield, MI 48108, USA

#1 of 1 hotels in Pittsfield

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

a very comfortable bed and spotless room. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. When we arrived we were offered comp tea and coffee 24/7. Excellent treat after driving five hours. Staff was helpful and professional

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Work was being done on the first floor near of area of the dinning.The workers were putting up wall paper while we were eating. The smell of the glue was really strong. It had a scent of Cat pee. There were nails, tools with sharp ends left out unattended on Wednesday and Thursday in the hallway on the first floor that leads to the swimming pool. We had children with us that could have easily been injured by these items as we were on our way to get to the pool. Right in front of the elevator there was wet wall paper left on the floor only inches from the elevator doors. Very sloppy contractors that could have put the quest at risk for injury.

Breakfast was nice. Water temperature in pool was perfect.

I felt over all the place was dated. There is a lot of caulk used to cover things up and job not done so well.

It was convenient to where we needed to be. it was clean. The breakfast was good.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The stairwell had a bad smell which just turned me off. Thankfully my room didn't have the same smell, though it's an older property. The desk in the room was a little too tall for working on my lap top, but the internet was good.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The gym equipment was very dated and some functions didn't work. It was very warm in our room and the only way to keep it comfortable was to run the air conditioning when it was below freezing outside.

The hotel was close to the university, shopping and the freeway. Also there were many places to eat nearby. Beds were comfortable.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We had a toilet overflow, our room keys constantly malfunctioned and the show head had to replaces whhile we were ther. Also in a stairwell, the wall paper was peeling and the mess from that was never vacuumed in the two days we were there.

Location was great.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

funky disinfectant/cleaner smell in the hallways, needs a refresh décor-wise; breakfast oatmeal was too thin.

Great location, difficult to find drive at night, it's the FIRST right turn.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

You could hear the traffic from the main highway throughout the night. It wasn't horrible but you could still hear it.

The location near the University of Michigan was very convenient. We were close to everything. The room was clean and spacious.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Staff undersupervised. Insufficient desk staff. Many things promised but not delivered Gym substandard Shuttle service promised not delivered x 3 times Staff not able to find bus, Amtrak or similar local info for residents. Dry-cleaning not despatched x 3 days even though requested!! Breakfast no vegies

Na

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Rates were jacked up for Art Fair. In our two rooms, one fridge froze food, the other barely worked. TV didn't work. Bathrooms have very little space to set toiletries.

Staff was great, rooms were attractive, updated and clean.

Whirlpool was not usable because the chemicals were so strong that you couldn't stay in whirlpool because of the strong chemical smell. I did tell the staff about it but not sure if they did anything to remedy it .. I walked out door from pool to sit on patio and couldn't get back in using my keycard.. The staff said the door doesn't work to get back in so that people from other hotel can't use the pool.. They should have a sign on door stating there is no re entry to pool because you have to walk all the way around the hotel to come in by lobby entrance.. Re: beds they were comfortable but the pillows were half sized pillows.. I would prefer at least one full size pillow

Staff were friendly and location good.. The breakfast had lots of options and food was hot and replenished as needed

I did not like the workers outside my window. Nor did I like them working until after 9 pm because they were constantly hammering and banging. The Jacuzzi was broken and the pool was filled with basketball players. The roofers threw a full bottle of water down from the roof that almost hit my partner. This was from 3 floors up as they were reroofing the place. We were not told about this at check in. Only one person was on duty for the entire hotel. He had to take care of all the rooms plus the front desk. He did not offer an apology or anything else when we complained. We went home and did not remain the night.

The room had an extremely small bathroom. The door opened just missing the toilet. The Tub was very small.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The pass locks with the card keys were terrible. Most of the times it took 3-5 entries into the door to open. The back door was propped open with a rock and when it was fixed, the place of insertion was about 8' from the door. So when the key card didn't work it was a inconvienance if you had stuff you were carrying going back and forth trying the door/key.

The beds were comfortable, the refrigerator was convienant, the breakfast was fine,

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Not room booked as it was occupied! Second room had torn carpet and a huge Jacuzzi tub that made the bed/ desk space tight. Tiny sink vanity area.

Bed comfortable but very high. Breakfast area spacious and food was good.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The towel rack was right above the toilet. The toilet did not have a lid. We were traveling with kids so...yes, towels in the toilet. The parking lots was being redone. Very limited spaces available.

Not very clean. Dusty and we killed a spider in the bathroom. Very comfy beds though.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

This property was wonderful. I was only there for one night. The lobby and common area to my room was very clean without that cleaning product smell. My room was also very clean. The bed was very comfortable. Being located directly on a major road there was a bit of road noise but that was to be expected.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Mattress in the room was a bit hard for me, but room was nice.

The hot breakfast was very good with a good variety of choices. The dining area was very clean and ample seating. The hostess kept the trays filled even during peak times. Kudos for that! The location was awesome to go back/forth to downtown for an event. Mall across the street and a wonderful World Mart less than 1/4 mile away.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I liked everything about our stay. The beds were soft and pillows fluffy. Room was very clean. Great breakfast and also provided us with free shuttle to the bus terminal to get to the airport.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was Standard American Diet. SAD food.

We stayed here for our daughter's graduation. We didn't know we were coming til the last minute. At this point we had to take whatever was available. To our surprise the Comfort Inn was excellent. Clean, modern, friendly staff, large flat screen - all channels, comfortable bed, thick towels, great pillows, all within 10 minutes of our daughter's apartment and U Mich. Got lucky.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

toilet seat needs to be tightened, tv remote would not turn tv on or off, had to use the switch on the side of the tv. remote would not go to the weather Chanel or to PBS.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

The bedspread on one bed was horribly wrinkled. It was clean but had stayed in the dryer too long. It should never had been placed on a bed without ironing or putting back in the dryer to get the wrinkles out.

The bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was on the first floor and the room smelled musty and a little "mildewy". Hotel should address. Otherwise the room and hotel were very clean.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Maybe the elevators could be a little faster. We took the stairs a couple of times and it wasn't really busy.

It is right off of route 94, about a 20 minute drive from Detroit Airport. Traffic willing. Really convenient to restaurants and shopping. The breakfast was really good. Eggs, sausage, cereal, bagels etc.and make your own waffles. The hot stuff was hot and the cold things cold, which is saying a lot for a free breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

The bedding was a bit dated but standard for the price.

Complementary wifi and hot breakfast! They had a make your own waffle station. My only regret was not thinking to mix the chocolate chips into the batter.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

I'm a runner. I asked about a place to run, the desk clerk didn't know where local bike and run path is.

We checked in early so my sleepy wife could nap

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

The "green option" (not changing towels, beds etc) also meant that the maid didn't enter the room and replace missing items like shampoo, toilet paper, coffee or empty waste baskets. I wouldn't go green again. There should be a rate rebate when the stay is without housekeeping.

Was given VIP status for the stay so used the concierge amenities (lounge, afternoon appetizers and breakfast). Room clean, nicely decorated, good sized.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

Our room (the second one) was coated in small white particulate matter because the window had been left open and it floated in from the construction. The desk was sticky and there were dead bugs and dust on the dresser. Who knows what else was there but it look like tiny bits of marijuana. The reason we were moved to a second room was because our first room had clearly housed smokers and the staff had tried to mask the odors with a sickly floral spray. It was nauseating and gave me a headache. Sadly the same sickly sweet "fragrance" permeated the hallways and lobby. In addition to the construction debris, the second room also had a GIGANTIC jacuzzi in bedroom complete with mirrors to the ceiling. We could live with the "romance package" but after the cleaning staff came through the next day and our room was not dusted or vacuumed, we checked out. Sadly we had booked a three day stay and had paid in advance. I tried to talk to the manager about our experience but she was "unavailable," even though she saw me standing there waiting. The front desk guy told me that she was aware of my concerns and had seen and heard me on their video tape. (He also told me that if I complained via social media or other platforms he would get blamed.) In the beginning Booking.com was attentive to our problem. However, once I provided full details of this poor property, they did not offer a refund other than $25. (I am not done with this yet.) I tried to rate this hotel as low as possible -- I would consider that a 0.0 I did not want to give the poor front desk guy who feared for his job a frowny face but otherwise the rating was 2.9 so I had to downgrade him in order to lower the rating. Beyond never staying a cut-rate chain hotel again, I will NEVER trust ratings from hotel resellers again because they are not accurate reflections of reality. Originally, I found this hotel on Trivago.

The front desk staffer tried to be helpful.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Air conditioning unit was hardly working and the room was stuffy and clammy. We reported it to the desk but nothing could be done until next day. Might be a while before we return.

Staff pleasant and breakfast adequate.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The carpet in the hallways were stained. This gave me a bad first impression regarding the cleanliness of the rooms hotel.

The mattress and pillows were excellent.

Enjoyed total visit

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Excellent location to Rt. 94. Centrally located to Ann Arbor south side. Clean and comfortable. Very accommodating staff.

Bed bugs

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Old property with aged and marked up rooms. High price for space provided.

Convenient location.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Noisy people in the hallway.

The oatmeal and muffins were great! Thanks for having to-go type food.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

light in bathroom burnt out.

proximity to the event I was in

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The location, nice room, comfortable beds, and clean

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Had made a reservation but the motel had no record, they still accommodated me.

Bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Cleanliness

Convenient and good value

Exercise room

Yummy eggs!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Didn't like someone trying to open the door and enter while I was in the shower at 9:15am

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Parking was not so good and lighting for areas of parking lot was not good

Breakfast was good and coffee was good.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Front desk was bad at handling my payment choice & or options

Quiet. Nice breakfast

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

Great, delicious breakfast! Clean, comfortable modern room!

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Pillows are worst

King bed

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Placed next to kitchen

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

Breakfast bar was vey good. Desk staff was very knowledgeable with the area by giving directions to a few areas.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2016

We were put in a first floor room for disabled persons (not needed). The bathroom shower got the entire bathroom floor wet, the wallpaper in there had wide clear taping holding it, the molding on the bottom was peeling off, the first floor window was unlocked - discovered that when we returned the first evening. The keys were deactivated during our stay, the TV in the workout room did not have a signal.

Friendliness of the staff

• Reviewed: 13 April 2016

The hotel is in dire need of renovation. The bathrooms don't have bathroom mats, so you have to use towels to walk on the bathroom's cold and slippery tiled floors. The sink and mirror are outside the bathroom, which makes it quite unpleasant. The outdated American-style showers, which are fixed to the wall, add to the lack of comfort. The Jacuzzi was "under renovation," which seems rather a permanent state for many of this chain's Jacuzzis. There were no fridges or microwave ovens in the room, although there was a tea kettle and some tea and coffee bags. While the bed was king size and had an excellent mattress, the pillows were stuffed with synthetic filling, not natural down, which made them look cheap. Probably the worst issue was the wifi, which was exasperatingly weak and choppy. Some devices would be able to catch the signal, but others wouldn't. When you depend on your wifi for almost everything, it is enormously frustrating to not be able to use it normally. America has a problem with this wifi issue, which affects malls, airports, and many other areas, while many places in Europe (even Eastern Europe) have lightning-fast wifi coverage. As Bernie Sanders was shocked to belatedly find out, Bucharest, Romania has much faster internet connections and coverage than the U.S. ;) What use is a latest-model iPhone when you can't use it except for a couple of corners of your room, and your iPad won't work at all? While the heating was excellent, fast and powerful (we were there during an incredibly cold spell, although early April, it was snowing constantly and the temperature was almost permanently negative, with lows of -6 Celsius), the lack of proper insulation at doors and floors made the room quite draughty. The breakfast, while plentiful, consisted of the usual American processed foods, with almost no fruits and no vegetables.

The staff was amazing, and went to great lengths to make up for the many shortcomings which the hotel had. The food was plentiful at breakfast, and coffee and tea were available throughout the day, the same as iced water with lemon or cucumber slices. Great quality bed mattress. Cleaning ladies did a great job every day. Receptionists gave us all the support we needed and were constantly helpful and very friendly. The hotel had a computer with a printer in the lobby which could be used at no cost by the guests, and an ATM. Free parking, although at times it would be difficult to find a parking spot.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2016

The doors close VERY loudly and there was a lot of running the halls late into the night. This unfortunately is just due to rude people not the hotel itself.

The room was roomy and clean and was a bargain!!

• Reviewed: 11 April 2016

Rooms dry and not thermostat controlled. Room smelled like cleaning chemicals upon first entry. Our room was right next to the kitchen and could hear the staff preparing breakfast. Pool under Renovation. For "Booking:" Please PUT THE POOL CLOSED NOTICE ON THE FIRST HOTEL LISTING PAGE IN BOLD, COLORED TEXT AT THE TOP SO IT IS EASY TO NOTICE. I made this reservation for my family in haste the day before check in which waived my right to cancel. Not noticing the fine print near the bottom of the info page, I found out about the pool being closed when we saw the large sign at the hotel check-in. I also suggest having your web tech temporarily removing the hotel from the filter, "pool" from the search engine until the pool is back in service. This was a big disappointment to my children as it was a part of their spring break treat. Although it was my fault for not reading the info thoroughly, Booking could have done a better job notifying about the pool being closed.

Decent typical hotel breakfast. Good TV channel selection. Friendly staff. Clean rooms.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

we were placed in a room right by the pool being remodeled. we checked in very late like 12am or later and we were woke up very early by them working on the pool. asked for late check out and the maid still knocked on the door... woke us up again.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2016

Would not suggest this hotel to anyone.when we arrvived there the person that was up at the front desk was very rude to me and my family. The guy that was at the front desk said the the pool area was Bri g remodeled and he snapped and said that it's been on the website for two no the now.we explained that we booked the room before hand and it wasn't on the website. On another note we got in our room and the tv wohkdnt work. It took us 4 Times before they afford us another room and it was a,9:30on and my kids were tired and were aLready sleeping. I went to the front desk in the morning to ask some questions and the person that was at the front desk was making excuses and would,only give me 10% back .That was not enough with all the issues we had . never again will my family and I will stay at this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2016

I wish I would have known the pool was closed. My grandkids bought swimming suits only to find we could not swim. It was very disappointing, but too late to cancel our reservation.

It was close to a lot of things.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2016

That the pool and the hot tub were out of service, this was a big reason we chose this hotel. We also had a few problems with the tv, but the staff fixed that.

Great Staff. Clean room. The coffee was very good. Breakfast looked great, but as we were meeting family only had the coffee. Room was very nice, comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 6 March 2016

Sink counter and bathroom very small. Room never got real warm from the heating unit. Wi-Fi somewhat slow at times.

Check-in was quick and very courteous people at front desk both days.

• Reviewed: 29 February 2016

Bed was pretty hard, air was very dry and no thermostat to tell what temperature it was set at in addition to the problem of trying to keep the fan on to allow for white noise to dampen the sound of people leaving their rooms (the latches were pretty noisy when closing them).

The complementary breakfast was great, as was the location close to UofM.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2016

The pool and jetted pool were not as good as they were the last time we stayed there. That was the one thing that brought us back to stay again.

The room was clean.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2016

Both nights we stayed there were people in two rooms next to us (different groups each night, it seemed) who were drinking and partying. The second night I told the guy working the front desk, and he was polite and went to tell them to be quiet for me.

Adam the shuttle drive was the nicest guy, and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2016

The hot tub was out of order. Gym equipment was old and not in good condition. Children could be heard running up and down the walls closing the rooms doors loudly.

Front desk staff were very friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Good value overall.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2016

Everything was ok. The facility was just a little tired looking. Not dirty or shabby. Maybe in need of some sprucing up.

It was convenient to the location of my ultimate destination

• Reviewed: 6 February 2016

I thought that there was a lot of noise from the the hotel next door. It could have been a bit cleaner, it needed to be dusted on the walls.

It was five minutes away from where we needed to be.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2016

There was no hot water the first morning with no info from staff. Card key did not work upon returning to room in the afternoon.

Very convenient to college we were visiting. Fairly good selection for breakfast

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

No notice of deposit required in case of smoking in room until arrival. Very upsetting for someone that uses a prepaid credit card and had to pay cash.

Staff where very accomodating upon arrival and assisted in changing room.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2016

The carpet in my room was shredding. The property is a bit dated

The beds were very comfortable and I did not hear highway noise even though it was near the highway. The room was clean.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2015

I didn't like how the hot tub jets didnt work and the pool was freezing cold. The heater wasn't working felt like I was swimming in outdoor pool. Plus our room was dusty. Continental breakfast was not good

I liked how close it was to the expressway and to shopping locations

• Reviewed: 29 October 2015

We had out of town guest attending our son's wedding and the police were called. My niece was charged for 3 days instead of 2 and was explaining herself when things escalated. It was embarrassing for my family. I also had 2 stays posted but we were able to sell a room to a family member.

The first room smelled of smoke and the front desk was able to switch our room.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

The pool was a little chilly and the hot tub was a little too hot, otherwise great stay.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast both mornings of our stay was very good and kept replenished despite the large number of people in the dining area.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2015

The outstanding cleanliness and comfort of our room was a real pleasure, especially since we had a bad experience at a competitor the day before. The staff is friendly and helpful. We are hooked, and will definitely stay again!

• Reviewed: 13 September 2015

I didn't plan to use the alarm clock as I had my own. However, at 4am the alarm went off automatically. A rather unpleasant awakening I suggest the staff be sure alarms are set to OFF when doing housekeeping.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2015

Poor breakfast selection; some dated furnishings; hotel needs a facelift. Smelled musty.

Clean room, comfortable bed, friendly staff, and great a/c!

• Reviewed: 29 July 2015

very nice guy at the front desk on arrival; accommodating staff in the morning upon departure; being able to use laundry facilities at motel next door

• Reviewed: 27 July 2015

Paper thin walls, loud tv's all night, bad location to downtown Ann Arbor and horrid, I mean seriously, horrid coffee at breakfast.

The staff were very nice.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2015

The parking at this location is not very good. My room is overdue for an update, especially the shower. During showers the water leaked out into the bathroom area. The shower drains were not effective for controlling the water drainage.

Since it was a last minute trip I had to make the price was nice. The night time employee at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2015

It was hard to enter the property from the north. The room was a little musty.

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Breakfast was mostly ready before I had to leave for my flight at 5:30 AM. It was great not to head to the airport hungry. Very easy access to and from I-94.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2015

the air conditioner was very loud was either the noise or being very hot in the room

close to university of michigan,comfy bed alot of restaurants and shopping near by

There are also 52 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.