Reviews of Constitution Inn 2 stars

150 3rd Avenue, Boston, MA 02129, USA

#79 of 81 hotels in Boston

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was very outdated looked different than the pictures, smelled like mold and cigarettes also the walls were dirty with actual food and stains

Location and price was ok

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The tub drain seemed to be clogged. Water drained very slowly. You would be standing in water while taking a shower

The room was very clean. Bed was comfortable

We were kicked out of the pool because a bunch of old people had a water aerobics class and we couldn’t swim in the laps lanes.

Staff was friendly and the room we had was huge! Great location, easy access to the ferry.

My husbands luggage was stolen from the luggage room. The staff (excluding management) was not helpful and seem annoyed to be there. You can hear every weight from the weight room being dropped.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was ok - but not great. It was somewhere to sleep that wasn't too expensive by Boston standards.

Convenient location for an overnight stop (between airport and Boston North station). Pleasant walk along waterfront for breakfast.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The best best part was free use of the YMCA pool after flight from Hawaii! The location was fantastic, great area to walk/run and tour USS Constitution as well as historic Freedom Trail

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location - can't complain Cockraches on the floor - bad Front desk at least tried to change rooms - good Worse condition in other room - bad Bedsheet clean - good? Floor dirty - bad Bathroom - clean but rusty Kitchen - please get rid of it!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The air conditioner did not work and we were not notified prior to check in. The room resembled a prison and the entire hotel smelled like chlorine and the hotel did not offer room service or any other perks.

I did not enjoy any aspect of this hotel. It was terrible.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was an electrical problem in the room we were first alloted. It had to be changed. Staff at the reception are nice but can be better trained at greeting guests.

The room staff at the hotel were very helpful. The fitness room is excellent.

My TV remote was not working and no one could really help me with replacing batteries.

Spacious rooms, location is central enough yet not out of the way.

The toilet was stuck the first evening

The bed is good, not too soft. The surrounding areas are nice, you can spend your morning time walking through a paved walkway to USS constitution museum.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only one elevator working, had to wait 10 minutes to catch it. No breakfast, very small bathroom (tiny sink).

Close to the USS constitution and the ferry, nice area.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Keys to door did not work and we had to reactivated almost everyday. The hotel did not provide coffee filter and we could not make coffee in room. The water container in the lobby was empty most of the time. The hotel seldom provided fresh coffee for guests.

We had a room with a small kitchen. Housekeeping came to clean and restock everyday.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Couldn't access programs on TV after a long day at the conference. The air conditioning wasn't working in my room either. I elevator serving floors 4-6....very slow and inefficient! Ask for stairs and it's like a puzzle in here! Staff says you have to go through the gym to access the stairway door. However, this door is marked as a fire exit and says DO NOT OPEN. Wouldn't want to be caught in this building during a fire. Horrible!!!

Great location! The Constitution Museum is close and it is close to the ferry. Pier 9 is close for a great place to meet and connect with people.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The furniture is very old. The rooms are pretty dark. To go downtown you need to take the ferry (possible til 8p.m.) The Bus stop is further away (15min walk). There is only a 7 Eleven to get grocery near by.

There is a gym in the hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Outdated, unattractive, no amenities.

Needed a place to stay for night due to cancelled flight. Liked nothing about it except that it was available. Desk person called a cab for me in morning.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This property is more like a military Barracks than a hotel. It did not have a kitchenette as advertised. We did not feel safe in the area. There was no place to get groceries nearby. There was only one restaurant and it was overpriced and I got sick. I could go on forever. Don't stay here.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The refrigerator and freezer did not cool as it should have. I turned the temperature down, but it did not make a difference. We put ice in the freezer and it melted.

The pillows were awesome! Also, the room was very roomy! The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Awful experience. Broken curtains on the windows, very noisy air conditioning; a sleepless night as result. Impossible to contact anyone responsible, a real theft.

On front desk staff person needs training. Shower stall in room is dingy. Mattress should be firmer.

The Inn was perfectly situated for visiting the close friend I had come to see. The exterior structure of the Inn is substantial, which I find appealing. The staff was friendly. Fitness center was excellent.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff, while not rude, weren’t very pleasant. All interactions felt like the had something else they’d rather do than speak with me.

The proximity to the piers and navy yard was excellent.

Their elevator situation is a disaster. Takes forever. Basically forced to use the stairs. The hallways and our room had a funny smell.

The bed was very comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This place hasn’t been updated since the seventies. Everything was old out of date and not clean. Even if it was clean things were so old that it didn’t look clean

The staff was nice

Location. No facilities near. No restaurants except Dunking Donuts. No stores ie drug store. Location too isolated. Had to call cab to go anywhere downtown. Closed to Old Ironsides, that’s all

Price

The room was listed with a kitchen but there were no utensils, cleaning items or workable coffee machine. The room was cold because it had no blind on the window/ skylight. Staff gave us a plastic cup, bowl and spoon, a blanket and replaced the broken unit.

Staff gave us a plastic cup, bowl and spoon, a blanket and replaced the broken unit. They told us where the bus stop was and recommended a place for breakfast but it was sleeting and not a pleasant walk

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The shower was so small and the noise from the fan in the bathroom was so loud. The lighting in the room was close to non existent. Equipped with a fridge and counters but no kitchen supplies, not even a knife or a spoon

Easy access, great location in a beautiful area. Parking garage really close and a lot of restaurants close

The AC was out of order. We did not need it so much but we need to "play" with the windows and the wind. Two "room's parties" at the next door in a week ! Too much !

Balance price / quality is acceptable

I did not receive information about internet at the moment of my check in. The AC did not worked and in our room was very warmful. The cleaning is poor. The elevator number 2 did not worked on last wednesday in the morning and nobody said it us so we were waiting for longer 15 minutes with our lugagge. We took downstairs from 6 floor to lobby with our 4 big lugagge.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not much wrong. Room fittings etc could be updated but minor criticism

Nice location in the old naval docks. 10mins by ferry to centre of Boston. Large room.

No air conditioning and even though it was only about 65 outside the room was really, really hot. The vents in the room and the bathroom had a crazy amount of dust in them. The shower water was barely lukewarm, even at 5 a.m.

Large room. Reasonably comfortable bed. Hallways were clean and nice. $10 parking about 2 blocks away.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They made several unauthorized charges on my credit card then denied it. I still haven't received credit for the hold they put on my card also. It's been several days & if I don't receive iffy i will call my card company & file a suit against them. I will never stay there again or refer anyone else to. Very dissatisfied!

I was left alone.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

first of all, there are no eggs. The place has gotten quite shabby and we had no cleaning service the first day and we WERE gone for the day. Shade on lamp was literally shredded. Have stayed before for convenience sake, but for 250 was not good value at all

new coffee in the lobby grounds are clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Incredibly thin walls where you could easily hear the next room's conversations, plus excessively loud neighbors we had to call for security on more than once. Beds were really squishy and lumpy.

Great walking distance to so many areas! We barely used Uber and made it to No. Boston, South Bay, Beacon Hill and Downtown really easily.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

My poor experience with this hotel started before I arrived. I emailed a few days prior to checking in to ask what the best way of getting from the airport to the hotel and if I could leave my luggage at the hotel during the day of departure as my flight wasn't until the evening. I received no reply to this email. On arrival at the airport on Saturday night, I called the hotel as there wasn't an available airport shuttle at the time so I wanted to ask if it was best to get a taxi or bus. The man answered the phone in a manner that immediately made me feel like the phone call was an inconvenience. I asked the best way to get from the airport was and his answer was simply "shuttles don't know where we are", so I asked how much I could expect to pay for a taxi and he just said "I don't know, they are all on a meter". I have worked in hotels for over 20 years, and at no point have encountered a reception team who don't know the approximate cost of a taxi from the local transportation hubs. I then asked if he had a number of a taxi firm he could recommend, and he said he could. As I didn't have a pen handy, I asked if he could email me it so I could pick it up on my phone. He said he couldn't do that as he only had a booking.com email address for me. Before I had the chance to either give him my direct email or explain that if he emails the booking.com address it would come through to me he said I would just have to wait for a taxi at the rank then put the phone down. After waiting for a taxi, I arrived at the hotel to check in. At the reception desk, there was a couple standing to one side and a woman trying to speak to the receptionist to get a new key for her room. The man behind reception (I assume it was the same person who took my call earlier) was on the phone but not speaking, so one of the other guests was asking him why he couldn't cut the lady's key while he was on the phone.

The other guests I met were nice!

Furniture and decor needs updating; rooms and interior look worn. Not much information provided on hotel services and surrounding area; although front desk staff were very helpful when asked, this information could have been provided in a binder in the room.

Quiet location with easy access to downtown via the Boston Harbour Ferry. Very helpful staff.

Starting to look shabby - carpet coming loose - lamp shade broken - needs some attention. Also, room was too warm and air conditioner control did not seem to respond.

Excellent location at a good price.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Unable to adjust temperature in rooms, Heat was on and it was so hot in the room you could not sleep. When I asked about changing rooms, I was told all rooms were the same. Totally unacceptable!

All the travel to and from the hotel tho the ferry trip is nice

The hotel was nice but it's very far from downtown so uber in and out and be costly but the room was fine

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were bed bugs!! I noticed multiple bed bug bites on my body after the second night I was there. Housekeeping took away my blanket after my first night. Our neighbors were rowdy and loud.

The front desk was polite enough.

Hotel was extremely dated! The bathroom had cracked flooring. Bathtub was old stained and had no drain cover. Sink was so small with no vanity or anywhere to put toiletries! Room was Wicked Hot! Had heat off 40’s outside. Had to leave window open all night. WiFi wasn’t working. TV was difficult to turn on.

There was no restaurant and a full kitchen but no utensils or pots or plans or plates. The staff was not educated on where one should go to dine or buy paper plates and utensils. The windows were on the roof so you could not see the streets below.

It was clean and the bed was comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The toilet paper roll, closet door, and dresser drawers were all broken. It was only supposed to be $10 per night to park, I stayed 2 nights and paid $24. Even after I called the hotel and got the stamp on my parking card before leaving the garage.

There was a free shuttle to the north station which is convenient. There is also a stove, oven, sink, and full sized fridge in the room.

There really wasn't anything I would complain about. Great hotel.

Very clean and great location. Getting in and out was easy and rooms were super clean!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I was checking out there was a 13 dollars charge on my bill. I didn't purchase anything. The receptionist wasn't able to tell me why is the charging me.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room 404 did not have hot water in the shower at 0530 in the morning. Extremely disappointing, and because it was 0530 in the morning when this was discovered, and there was no time to rectify this before having to be at work at 0700, I spent the entire day at work until 8pm unshowered. Gross.

Clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

For the price we paid, breakfast should be served or at least offer complimentary coffee, muffins, etc. I was told it was not. The parking garage is difficult to find at night. The location is bad because it is a block or so away, making it very frustrating to carry all luggage back to car.

I liked that it was close to the sights. We got validated for parking garage and paid only $10. The Wifi is free and well posted for everyone to see. The place is quiet.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a kitchenette but no silverware, pots and pans, etc. That would be helpful to know on the website. Parking is 1.5 blocks away. Moving the car closer, paying the meter resulted in a $90 parking ticket because it was street cleaning day! Hotel ‘facilities’ are YMCA facilities.

Staff was helpful and friendly.

Racial profiling by caucasian receptionist. Sent to top floor corner with no windows. She was even uncomfortable talikng to mere mortal brown skinned people.

The top floors rooms were slanted and I kept hitting my head. And of course no hotel room ever has enough outlets.

I loved that it's was rooms from the old Navy Yard. Very spacious and well designed

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It wasn't clear that pool was a part of YMCA and not hotel. So not private or good for little kids. Everything in the room seemed to be designed for wheelchair so bathroom mirror was at my waist height. Beds very uncomfortable. VERY outdated. Not counter in bathroom. Awful shower that sprayed with leak. TV had an audio issue.

Man from Spain, Mel, at front desk was fantastic. He was the strongest thing about the hotel.

The location is somewhat difficult to get to the action of the City because there is no T stop close by. However, the history around the hotel was unbeatable. Too bad there are not more eating establishments close.

The check in staff person was awesome, the rest of the time, they were pretty good. Always on long phone conversations and slow to help you. Answers on shuttle were very inconsistent.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very outdated. Clean enough, but there was no cable, fixtures were falling apart, very small bathroom, and the pool is shared with the local YMCA which was not explained on the website when booking. No amenities.

Staff was friendly. Location is good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No big fridge or stove in our room. Each bed gets 2 very thin pillows only. Beds were uncomfortable.

Nice location and indoor facilities. Price is good

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was dirty and very loud. The elevator is extremely slow - I waited over 5 minutes for it to arrive on my floor every time I entered or left the hotel. The walls are very thin so you hear everything from next door to out in the hall. There was no soap in the bathroom or extra toilet paper. The heating and a/c unit was not working. We will never recommend or return to this hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was originally given room 419. I get the key, go to the room, and there was people drinking and smoking on the bed. Went to the front lobby and told the girl that there was people in my room, so she gave me another room. There was cocaine on the ground and somehow... instead of the microwave saying the time It just said "child" which was very creepy. There was no part about this place that was remotely good.

There was nothing good about this place.

The distance to Boston attractions. The fact that there was a kitchen unit in the room with completely empty cupboards!! Totally useless.

Luckily there was a cafeteria in a building across the street. No other facilities are in walking distance, but a block away there is a free shuttle to the North Station T. These buildings are preserved warehouses for Mass General research Teams and offices. The hotel was basic, but clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The floor near elevator smelled with incomplete burn of heating oil. Nightstand lights were not working and left the furniture not attached to the headboard as it was intended to be.

Maintenance crew was quick to resolve issue with the room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was small and the shower didn’t fit anyone tall (I am 5’6” and washing my hair was somewhat difficult).

The rooms were big, the beds were really comfortable, the staff was really nice and helpful.

Room not comfortable, TV only one channel, light from hallways come through door gaps, to much noise, everything happening in next room and hallway was like inside of my room and it was the whole weekend saturday the worst, all outlets in room were damaged.

Friendly staff

The walls in room/bathroom need painting. Carpet coming loose from the wall at the dresser. Did not like the fact guests where smoking, guest marajuana.

Close to Boston.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was way too hot in the room. The fan helped a bit with the window open, but it was still hard to sleep, as hot as it was.

The location, pool, gym and the cheap parking

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Cleanliness of room after housekeeping,there was hair on door&wall of bathroom from previous occupant even after they supposedly cleaned the room. They did not vaccuum rugs after supposed cleaning&dust was thick on picture frames&mirrors&bedframes

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

A few room fixtures needed repair. The light switch and a piece of the cloths drawer were broken.

Simple features in the room which is good since I was there to see Boston. Liked having the basketball court and sauna. Good location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking is a bit inconvenient: it's a hike to the garage, and you pay $10 each time you take the car out of the garage. There are only a few restaurants within walking distance so driving is almost essential. Also, our TV only had 6 channels, 3 of which were in Spanish. Luckily we weren't there to hang out and watch TV.

The Inn is very convenient for accessing the Freedom Trail and is in a quiet location. The neighborhood felt very safe. The large exercise facilities and pool on-site were a bonus. Our room wasn't luxurious but was spotlessly clean. For the price, in the Boston area, it was a great deal.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It's the furniture is outdated , took 5 minutes to get warm water in the shower. But for the price if was what l expected. The staff was pleasant.

Location and parking was great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Just a constructive note; display the free shuttle bus timetable.

Easy to reach from public transport, free shuttle from North St (or a 10 minutes walk) or bus 93. Clean, good bed, a gym, and a swimming pool. Plus the wonderful sunrise view from bay 4.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is obviously quite old. I think taking the giant refrigerator out of the room and replacing it with a modern small one would be good. Of course the blankets could all be replaced with duvet covers. And some art on the walls would be nice. I realize those are huge expenses so overall it was fine.

Front desk people or 100% wonderful. Coffee in the lobby was nice.

staff were terrible at describing where the parking garage over the phone was and were not patient. I think this should be on your web page more clearly

room was great

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The front counter staff for the 3.00pm check in weren't overly helpful. They wouldn't stand up from their chairs and were hard to see. I had to ask for the wifi password which was on a sign on the counter which could have been pointed out on my first trip to the front counter. The instructions to the free shuttle were very hard to follow for someone who didn't know the area. A tourist map showing the location of the very nearby 7-11 and Starbucks would have been helpful.

Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was a problem for them in order to make your stay comfortable. One of the cleaning staff loaned me her own personal phone charger for the duration of the stay, when I mentioned I hadn't brought mine.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No hot water when i took a shower. Was very cold. I got worried for a moment as i found someone sleeping on the 2nd floor on the ground. I told staff and they said it was okay and that he was an employee.

Friendly and helpful staff. Good price for being in the city and so close to my job

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking is an issue. The hotel is old and tired needs some renovations.

I liked the size if the room and the location of the hotel. The staff were very friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The place was filthy. There were no air conditioners in the rooms so we were very hot the whole time, it made it very uncomfortable. The shower was dirty. It smelled like stale cigarettes and we were on a non smoking floor.

They had a mini fridge and microwave in the room. The staff seemed helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

That the pool was associated with the YMCA and they close when they feel like it and also if the kids want to go in the pool you have to go in with them so that really sucked

Nice price for the money

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Little to dated and very, very basic comfort. Almost like a youth hostel. Restaurant would do well adjacent to hotel. Staff didn't seam to be well trained in the field of hospitality, insecure, but never unfriendly.

the pool was super / room was very bright / the beds and bed linen were very basic, but we slept well

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Went for a walk in the surrounding area & thoroughly enjoyed it. The nearby park was wonderful & if I had to live in Boston (I'm a senior citizen) that would be a great place to have an apartment or condo!