Reviews of Courtyard by Marriott Boston Brookline 3 stars

40 Webster Street, Brookline, MA 02446, USA

#6 of 18 hotels in Brookline

Good to stay

The breakfast is merely a cup of coffee and a piece of warm food

comfortable but actually not that quiet, you can still hear the snore from the next door.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Just fine

While the room and the main hall looked like they were recently renovated, the hallway on my floor (2nd) looked old and dirty with trash on the floor. The AC is very noisy and I had to switch it off at night even though it was quite warm.

Large and updated room, very quiet. Comfortable bed. Convenient if Brookline is your major destination and not Boston center city. Unfortunately the area doesn't offer much in terms of accommodations, and this is probably the best option among the different ones I tried (including other hotels and B&Bs).

Great hotel with great coffee bar in a great location!

Nothing, it was all good.

I would highly recommend this hotel. It is very comfortable, the coffee bar is great, and you are in a great location. Cute neighborhood with a lot of restaurants, etc., and the T-line if you need to go any distance or downtown.

3rd time here in six years. Hotel is showing wear & tear.

Not a great value for the money. Room overlooked dumpsters. Hallways were a little dirty, ice machine broken on my floor, coffee & cups, etc. not provided after 1st day. Parking was $50/day, breakfast was not included, & the usual taxes, etc. were higher than anticipated. **If parking at the hotel, be sure to depart within 30 minutes after having ticket validated.

Room was reasonably clean. The location wasn't great for my particular trip, but the hotel is close to a T stop, so travelling to/from downtown Boston and/or Fenway Park is not difficult.

Lovely and relaxinf

Menu at Restaurant could have been more extensive. Should have breakfast buffet or continental breakfast included in price of room which is high.

Room size excellent; terrific location

Anagamemt and appearance disappointing, location good.

Hotel manager Simone was unhelpful and slightly condescending in trying to check in. The carpets in hallways were filthy and need to be shampooed. The housekeeping staff was excellent, but in conversation we learned they are timed and have only 30 minutes to service room. Management should focus more on cleansing than turning the rooms over.

Size of the room, convenience of the green line access.

Overall stay was adequate. Would probably stay here again.

Arrived early for our stay. Staff at the front desk at arrival were not welcoming nor friendly. No hospitality from initial staff. Other staff proved helpful and friendly but first impressions are everything. Bistro is closed in the afternoon which means no place to get a cup of coffee or tea and light snack.

Overall a nice place to stay. Good location and adequate cleanliness.

Location was very convenient.

The front desk staff (one lady especially) was unwilling to help with anything we asked. One day around 10 pm, there was no body there at all at the front desk and all of the guests had to wait until they finally showed up.

Location was very convenient. Good value for the price. It was very dark inside the room. Be cautious if you plan to work in your room.

great property if you need to be near Longwood and the many hospitals located there

night shift front desk staff were a little grumpy the 2 days I encountered them.

day-time front desk staff were terrific- made sure I knew I could use the hotel shuttle instead of a taxi, always asking how they could help

Marriott is perfect, but absence of tasty buffet breakfast is a shock.

The breakfast was a shock - instead of "self-service buffet" expected in Marriots, I've got a "one hot dish and a drink, or 2 cold dishes and a drink" from a cafe downstairs, which was a side service foreighn to the Marriott. Just do not take breakfast - take it elsewere for your own money. Very inconvenient for business trip and very unwelcome.

Marriott is Marriott - almost everything is perfect (but breakfast!). The Green line C trolly stop is reasonably close to the location, as far as frequent transverse bus 66. Lots of stores and cafes nearby.

The Hotel was very clean and most of the staff was very...

The 2 people working at the bar/restaurant were not very friendly.

The Hotel was very clean and most of the staff was very friendly. The bed was very comfortable.

Comfortable stay, attractive hotel

My only comments would be that I could hear our neighbor's TV until 2 AM one night, and I don't think they had it on especially loud. Also, after a snowy and icy day, rock salt stuck to our shoes and tracked around our room--so we were sort of walking on pebbles on the carpet. It wasn't vacuumed up the next day, which surprised us.

The remodeled decor is very nice, and the rooms are very tastefully decorated and comfortable. The location for our purpose of visiting family in Brookline is excellent. Comforable bed, nice shower and bathroom. We like our room cool for sleeping, and appreciated that one day a housekeeper noticed that we'd used the extra bedding from the closet, and she put a nice blanket on top of our bed. We had a very comfortable 6-night stay.

Will not be returning.

All the windows were streaked with hand prints and clearly hadn’t been cleaned in a while throughout the building. Floors needed to be vacuumed. I was charged $35 for parking which I find outrageous given I just paid over $200 for a room that was dirty. The pool/jacuzzi was a joke. The jacuzzis not existing and the pool was basically a kiddie pool. Not happy with experience. Won’t be returning.

Room decor was neat

Despite the lousy staff, the hotel is very good.

Dismissive,unwelcoming staff, hard to reach front desk by phone, didn't tell us that getting late checkout caused door card cancelation (inconveniencing us). Acted like they were doing us a favor. Clearly not guided by management. Maid service did not replace shampoo. For the price, the service should be MUCH better.

Ok.

The elevator was dirty. The towels and tissues were rough to the skin. The toilet paper holder in our bathroom was extremely poorly placed. Very difficult to get to when needed.

Location for our travel purposes was great

Itvwas good enough to meet our needs.

Pillows and bed were uncomfortable. Pillows were lumpy. Bed had no support. Toilet seat was not attached well and moved a lot when sitting on it. The heating/cooling system was inconsistent. It was either hot or cold.

Convenient location. Size of room and bed.

For the purpose of our trip the Location was great, I was not too impressed with the facility.

The pillows, The fan was very noisy, the phone had a clicking noise coming from it, so I had to disconnect the phone the second night. The water glass in our room was not replaced when the housekeeping came to clean the room.

I love being in Room 815 and request it when I come (I visit my son

The quality of the toilet paper is terrible — I always have to buy my own when I arrive. Also, it would be appreciated to have a vanity mirror to apply make-up. I have to stand at the long door mirror to apply it — not the most convenient.

Never ate at the hotel.

The location and some of the staff was helpful.

I was not made aware on either booking.com or Marriott's website that this property had limited breakfast choices- no proper restaurant - only a limited Starbucks menu : ( The wait for breakfast ordering was long due to even longer lines - staff behind the counter was sadly inefficient and terribly slow due to poor command of English. Some basic training would have been helpful. I would suggest management switch to a breakfast buffet where those short of time can serve themselves as at most Hilton properties. Also there was not any complementary coffee in the lobby which would have been a plus.

The location and some of the staff was helpful.

Pleasant.

Complimentary water was great and I think there were cookies but the plate was always bare except for crumbs. The water was not refilled in the evening (or often).They did have pricey snack options in the lobby. Waited a long time at the bar for a cup of tea since the Bartender had to finish cooking 2 pizzas, cut and box them (for another guest that apparently ordered them sometime earlier) then they ordered a glass of wine. The bartender opened a bottle, gave them glasses and the bottle to take to their room, and had a nice conversation with them while I patiently waited for a cup of tea (which was requested just before the pizzas were done). Next night I came in at same time and asked for a glass of wine to bring to the room. Same bartender said they were closed so it was too late. ?????

The room was very clean, nicely decorated, staff friendly and helpful, parking was good in garage although pricey.

Bed was comfortable, room was clean, and everything was just...

Bed was comfortable, room was clean, and everything was just fine, nothing spectacular (except for the location) but nothing bad either. The hotel was very busy and we heard a lot of noise through the walls, but not so much that we couldn't sleep. The parking garage was very convenient ($35/day with in & out privileges) since parking is very limited in the area.

To sum - we will be back.

See above re tea!

Excellent corner room with excellent comfortable beds but would have liked English Tea facilities in the room and a better two cup kettle.

Great Hotel, great location, friendly and helpful staff, clean and comfortable room.

Difficult to get taxi. We were referred by hotel receptionist to use Hotel's sub-contracted male driver (lnot hotel staff) who is not very honorable and not very polite, this may ruin Hotel's reputation. Only one washing machine.

Clean, comfortable and quiet room and environment. Free cookies and ice waters provided every day at reception are great! Hotel Front Desk Supervisor extremely helpful and friendly. Superb location with easy access to supermarket (Trader Joe's) , hospital, pharmacy, shops, food, cafe and restaurants. Hotel's thoughtfulness in providing printer and paper for guests' use which gives tremendous convenience such as printing of boarding pass etc.

TO MAKE MARRIOTT BETTER

Have coffee in a.m. where water is in evening. Some of us do not like Starbucks and are not interested in making it with stale milk (?) in small containers!!! There should be a lower rate for private family visits to neighborhood on slow weekends. Make the room up before 4 p.m., late for clean towels. No shower cap.

the SMALL pool for grandchildren. location near Brookline son. a good rate for Christmas holidays every year for last 10. Near restaurants and stores. Water in lobby in the evening.

MORE THUMBS UP THAN DOWNS

I absolutely detested the cheap toilet paper (not soft) and bought some Charmin on my own. Also, the towels were not absorbent (wish they were of better quality) or soft. The shampoo and conditioner bottles were easy to open, but trying to get their contents out was difficult.

The room was very clean and nice looking. I had requested being on the top floor and having a quiet room not facing Beacon Street. My requests were fulfilled and the room worked out great !!

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Excellent location between 2 very convenient T stops.

Very pricey for what it was!

Excellent location between 2 very convenient T stops. The staff were especially accommodating to marathon runners which was much appreciated!

Clean nice rooms convenient location

I had to print out concert tickets and printer was out of ink-nothing they could do except have me email them and they would print them. 2nd computer out of paper-business are big thumbs down. No one came over to assist and they weren't busy. Parking was misrepresented on the booking.com. It is a public garage, can't make reservations, and small. Other than those things it was good.

Clean nice rooms convenient location

Decent place to stay, no room service/breakfast

I paid extra to have breakfast included and was surprised to see that the hotel does not have a breakfast buffet. Instead; they have a restaurant where you have to order and wait in line. The staff in this restaurant was not very friendly and kept messing up other people's orders. I ordered Starbucks coffee and a Frittata - took a long time to get and thankfully we gave ourselves plenty of time. Food was good considering the wait but again, the staff, especially a manager named Mae were really grumpy and that reflected on customers also being grumpy. The other oddity at this hotel as that there is no room service at all. The only option is to have something delivered to the hotel from the outside. Now, the front desk staff is very knowledgeable in terms of who delivers, etc. but again, no room service in this hotel price range? Lastly, I could not rest comfortably in the bed they had. Not sure if it was the mattress, etc. but I just did not get a restful nights sleep during our entire stay, even switching out pillows, etc. Also, the bed was positioned very close to the wall on one side which made the whole room feel small. Cleanliness was never an issue in the rooms, however, on the main floor or Lobby area that was a different story. The restrooms on the main floor were nasty so I recommend going to your room instead. Also, when we tried to use their business center to print out boarding passes all three printers were nonfunctional and one computer had no internet access at all. There was no staff available to deal with these problems so we went with mobile boarding passes instead.

The hotel is very conveniently located to all major hospitals, dining and shopping. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful in suggesting nearby restaurants in walking distance.

The

When I woke up at 4am he was no help or trying to be any help. When I ask any questions he had very short answer. When I didn't understand about the ride the staff had set up for me in the morning he stated take a taxi and why you did us Uber.

I love the friendliness of the customer service in the afternoon. I enjoyed my room being clean and well served.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

loved location, room was fresh and clean

Elevator to basement garage was broken, that wasn't fun. Also the keys didnt work, until advised a trick.

loved location, room was fresh and clean

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Standard Marriott courtyard

Poor breakfast and poor costumer service at the bar in the evening and the night manager Mala atención en general en el bar y el de la recepción a la noche

Close to where I had to go for business Cerca de donde he tenido que ir por trabajo

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

The Location is fantastic especially if you are heading...

The hotel rates for long term stay were not informed on the first day in spite of my query. The management needs to be overhauled.

The Location is fantastic especially if you are heading towards Longwood area or Harvard Medical School. They had a pleasant person by the name of Nancy who would drive me to the Longwood every morning. She made me want to continue staying in the hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Great time; would have been perfect with better wine prices!

Price of wine in bar...had family and friends come back in the evening and after the first night and a ridiculously high bar tab we didn't come back each evening... it was a shame!

Location and comfort!

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Not the best Marriott

The front desk people didnt look neat and impecable. They look like if they were at home , not at work. That first impression made me think that the hotel wasnt good Also the rooms hallways were messy and te carpet dirty

The bed was confortable and good location for visit BC

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Great location for college visits

Very limited food choices - only available 6:30-10am, no room service, no complimentary coffee, no restaurants near that are "all-american fare."

Clean, great location if you are visiting colleges.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

The location is great!

We were four and always have to remind them to bring four towels

The location is great!

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

The friendliest staff and great location and facilities.

The friendliest staff and great location and facilities. Would definitely stay here again

The room was spacious and super clean.

Nothing everything was wonderful

The room was spacious and super clean.

Location was great

Location was great

Spacious room and very close to Metro.

Bathroom wasn't very clean.

Spacious room and very close to Metro.

Very good, better than expected.

Location was great! Room was comfortable and front desk staff (young woman and young man) assisted with directions, etc.

Our stay was pleasant.

The parking was costly.

Location was ideal, service great.

inoffensive corporate design, good location, does what you need

safe and room door locks both needed new batteries before they would work properly

bed comfort

No flexible cord in the shower

No flexible cord in the shower

Ok

Bar not a good selection no Chardonnay wine. P.S Chardonnay is not an exotic wine

Near to our family's home.

Near to our family's home. Near to the city center and all facilities. When next in Boston we will stay at this hotel.

Efficient service and a good nights sleep.

Bistro below average food.

Consistent comfortable bedding and decent shower.

Hallways were in need of renovation, rooms nicer than...

Hallways were in need of renovation, rooms nicer than hallway but gives bad impression when leaving elevator and walking to room

6.0
    Disappointing.

Bed was hard. Sheets were dirty. Room and hallways not as clean as on my last visit.

The front desk

The front desk

It was great

The control of a/c

The room

Pretty good

Parking

Good location to explore Boston

Limited menu. Expensive wine.

Easy access to T

convenient to lots of small shops in brookline

convenient to lots of small shops in brookline

Convenient location-

only complaint-both queen size mattresses were extremely uncomfortable-time to replace-

Convenient location-

Great location, great facilities, very clean.

Great location lots of places to eat within blocks of the hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. I had a really large room.

The receptionists were t very personable.

The receptionists were t very personable. Very cold and distant.

Great location, felt safe and a variety of restaurants near by.

Short walk to metro and just a few stops away from Fenway park.

I just needed a clean and convenient location. This met my needs.

The view of the back alley.

It was very convenient location for my business travel needs.

we we so comfortable we will use the hotel again

very low toilets

staff particularly nice and helpful, going out of their way for special needs (we needed crushed ice for medical reasons).

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

The room could have been better cleaned during the stay.

The room could have been better cleaned during the stay.

Checkout was a mess.

Checkout was a mess. Where was the staff in the morning???

Room nice, great location, friendly staff

Reported a burnt out light in bathroom day one. Still not replaced on day four. Hard to see!

Room nice, great location, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

The restaurant was more of a Starbucks style.

The restaurant was more of a Starbucks style..... order first and sit down......it wasn't a restaurant. Food was good.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Friendly atmosphere

Cleanliness was lacking Not value for the money

Friendly atmosphere

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Fantastic hotel with easy train access

Stairs were not accessible for daily use

Comfy beds!!!

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Comfortable stay

No complaints.

Looks nice, comfortable, good service.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Sure wish that Marriott would restore the complimentary breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Great stay for your money!

Rooms got really cold quickly

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

convenient

convenient

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

location for our visit.

1. Antiquated and uncomfortable heating system. 2. Expensive parking

location for our visit.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

Room was clean and sheets and towels crisp white.

Made specific request for adjoining room with family, crib in one room- confirmed both, neither was done. No sheet provided for crib. Water in shower lukewarm at best.

Room was clean and sheets and towels crisp white. Room comfortable. Fridge in room.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

The renovated room was amazing.

Having Paul Mitchell products in the bathroom is a definite plus but there was little or nothing in the containers...meaning a few drops of shampoo, etc. A little more of the product would be nice.

The renovated room was amazing....really nice furnishings and really nice layout.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

Rooms were comfortable.

We were visiting our daughter in Brookline and chose a hotel to be close to her. The price was outrageous. For one night we paid $468 (with taxes) plus another $35 to park the car. The hotel could have at least included the parking fee.

Rooms were comfortable. Everything was clean and nicely done. We only spent 12 hours in the room!

• Reviewed: 2 March 2016

Beware if you have a debit card- they will charge your bank...

Beware if you have a debit card- they will charge your bank the money and then leave the same amount on hold for several business days AFTER they receive their money. So they tie up the same amount you paid on your account several days after you have paid!!! This is not an acceptable policy.

There are also 78 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.