Reviews of Best Western Coyote Point Inn 3 stars

480 North Bayshore Blvd, San Mateo, CA 94401, USA

#2 of 13 hotels in San Mateo

The safe couldn't be used; reason given was that the new security co. hadn't set them up yet. The breakfast was so-so and one morning they ran out of baked goods by about 8:30. Someone finally put some slices of white and brown bread out. Half of the nights we were there, we experienced a lot of noise from the room above (sounded like children or young people running back and forth through the room). Overall, the motel seemed tired and in need of an update. There are better facilities nearby at around the same price. We'd go elsewhere next time.

The laundry arrangements were great - $3 flat fee that included detergent. It was controlled by the front office so no need to accumulate quarters.

Bad location, very old and worn out rooms. I really don’t understand how this hotel gets a 8+. Maybe US citizens have different standards...? Price-value is way off.

Beds are comfortable, bathroom is ok, friendly girl at reception.

The breakfast needs some work. Eggs not so good. The boiled eggs were not good, also the scrambled eggs. The little omlettes were better, but not great. Yogurt, bagels, sweet rolls were good. There was fruit, instant oatmeal, cereal, etc. I did not try all of these so I can't comment on them all. Also the waffles were good as per my DH.

The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. It's a no frills type of hotel, but we were just going to sleep there, so that's all we needed.

Pillows were very lumpy. No pay per view on the TV. We wanted to watch a movie.

The hot tub was fabulous. The area around the hot tub was super slippery though.

Wifi, breakfast eggs, worn look to hotel, high price for what we got.

Beds were nice, house keeping friendly and did a good job. Sauna and hottub were nice but could be cleaner. Hotel has a bit of a worn look to it. Wifi kept failing but was usable. Rooms were not very well ventilated but quiet.

We enjoyed our stay. It was excellent for the money. We were attending events in SF. The free parking and breakfast were to our advantage for such an excellent rate.

Bathroom wall mounted hairdryer smell burn.....went and ask for replacemant. I have high allergie for all detergment/cleaning products....and a bedlinen give me some ich....If as an option on asking base have non harsh chemical washed bedlinen at front ask that would make my stay super!

day staff was awesome ..Happy guy ! Food was fress and a lot ! Room was nice and clean ,bathroom was big ,micro and refrigerator #1 to have.Caffein the room was Wolfgang P.! Outside spa ..

A bit hard to access inbound from the 101N... but in the end... wonderful place...

The hot tub was great after a stressful business meeting.... a little fridge and microwave included so bring your afternoon and evening snacks

Check in time was at 3pm. We checked in at 4pm but had to wait almost 2 hours bcz our room wasn't ready. Then next thing you know we were given a different room. They could have done that in the beginning instead of us having to wait 2 hours for nothing!

Too pricey for what you get, but I suppose is because of the location (Silicon Valley)

Location close to the airport and the city of SF, nice room, comfy and clean.

It was a normal, nice motel as the Best Western hotels usually are. It's perfect if you want to visit San Francisco. You need to drive approximately half an hour to the city centre, but you can get nice hotel, clean room, nice breakfast, so, yeah, it is a perfect hotel close to city centre of Frisco for nice price.

Room was chilly. Internet service was down our entire stay, they’d called a service technician.

Breakfast was very good, convenient. Very quiet, clean, nice decor. Good shower- water pressure & hot water!

Only thing that could make it better would be a swimming pool

We liked everything the price was good very friendly staff we will definitely stay here again

Room is ok. However extremely terrible service of the front desk and customer service, not friendly, not helpful, not professional at all. The front desk acted terrible when we checked in and rejected our simple request (e.g. borrowing two cups of glasses) very unfriendly . It's the worst best western I've ever stayed.

• King Room - Disability Access

There was a door to an adjoining room. The neighbors on that side were noisy and the noise seemed to go through that area without being muffled too much. They were noisy until a bit after 11:00pm and started up again at around 6:00am.

Room itself was comfortable and the breakfast was very good.

Starting at 5:30 my sleep was over as the sound was like sleeping right on the freeway and this with the windows closed!!

I liked the location, overlooking part of the golf course. The hotel is pleasantly furnished and has ample parking.

Nothing I can think of.

The staff was what made it extra special. Location was close to where I needed to be, room was comfortable and had everything I needed.

Noisy (directly at the freeway), a bit dated, cold and cheap atmosphere in the breakfast room. Below Best Western standard breakfast selection. Staff was somewhat friendly but acting odd when confronted with simple questions. Proximity to grocery stores or restaurant is terrible, there is nothing close by. Parking is very limited.

The price was very competitive, which was the main reason for us to pick this place. Rooms were ok on the layout, beds were comfortable. Location right at the 101 freeway is good if you’re here for a layover.

The hotel is doing minor renovations which is a good thing.

Super comfy, clean and spacious. Very quiet and liked the sitting area with the couch. Will definitely be back.

Car park. Rental car was damaged. One staff said they had CCTV, and need manager to look at it. Second staff said no CCTV. One staff said manger coming in , other said no.

There is nothing around to eat, without a car it very difficult Breakfast feels like convenience store food The place feels a bit sloppy

Big rooms Quiet place

The street out front was very trashy, and there was a large pickup truck in the parking lot with two flat tires. It lent an air of slovenliness to the outside of the hotel. Also, the "breakfast burritos" in cellophane for breakfast are quite nasty. One morning, there were omelets instead, and they were much better.

The mattress was excellent! We want to buy one! The sound-proofing of the room was good; we couldn't hear the freeway that we could see from our window. The manager, Dan Karki, was charming and helpful. I'm impressed that he remembered my name every time we had occasion to speak with him. The room was very large and comfortable, more of a suite than a room. I liked having a sofa to relax upon. The breakfast is very nice with a lot of variety. Being able to make waffles was a great idea and much appreciated. The breakfast burritos were not good, though. There was a sauna, exercise room, and jacuzzi, but we did not take advantage of them.

They were in the middle of some construction so room numbers were talking to the walls or sitting in the floor. Not a big deal.

It was close to the freeway but very quiet. No road noise.

The hotel was under construction and the maids did not provide enough towels. We had to go to front desk every day to request more. The breakfast was terrible. The front desk deactivated our keys to tell us why the maids were not providing towels—something that they could have alerted us by phone or text— not a lockout.

Good sized room clean with everything you need. Breakfast simple but fresh and enough variety for most. Very handy for the airport and hwy 101 to get in and out of San Fran. Thumbs up particularly for the price.

• King Room - Disability Access

The gal who manned the front desk the morning of December 31 was not very friendly or helpful. Which is really unfortunate because the gentleman who manned it the afternoon of December 30 was great!!

The person who checked us in was amazing!! The room was large and comfortable and even had a couch. It was very clean. I loved that it had a refrigerator and microwave in the room (both of which I made use of). I was also very happy that they had an exercise room. I used the treadmill which worked great. (there was also an elliptical and some weight machines). The breakfasts were really good! I love that BW's have waffle makers. Yum! But there were also eggs, bacon and/or sausage, cereals, fruit, yogurt, etc. The breakfast was available 6-10 but it's best to get there before 8:30 when it starts to get really busy. Overall I was really impressed with the value of what was offered compared to the nightly rate.

NA

Super clean. Comfy bed and linens. $1.50 washer and dryer w detergent included. Breakfast awesome. Jacuzzi amazing. Front desk helpful. Printing center, workout room and sauna. Reasonable price. We stayed night before we were set to fly out of SF airport. Just outside the city limits so we avoided the traffic,

Excellent staff (Ed was extremely friendly.) Great facility and amenities. Very clean property, Very clean ,spacious, And comfortable rooms. Free WiFi, dish tv. We will stay there from now on.

Room/bathroom had few noticeable scratches here and there but nothing serious. While taking stuff from the car on the basement floor, I noticed a weird guy cycling around the cars carefully looking at them, so it's good idea to not leave valuable items in the car.

+ helpful staff + close to the highway and airport, traffic noises are isolated and not disturbing + almost empty underground parking, we left the car few steps from the elevator which is convenient if you have some luggage; parking spots near elevator are camera guarded + good breakfast + we got the furthest room on the 4th floor + spacious room and comfortable beds

• King Room - Disability Access

The breakfast is poor. not enough selection. I was shocked that they cannot find any record in their system even though I showed the confirmation letter from booking. Maybe bookings should check if their is something wrong with the system. I don't want to arrive with no confirmed reservation after long time of travel.

it has free fitting room and sunua. plenty of free parking place. very close to 101 express way. ATM machine on each floor.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Close to the high way --> ask for a room in the rear

Great location for a visit in the bay area, not far from the airport, comfortable and up to date quipped location, brakfast with usual selection and fresh fruits, very friendly and helpful staff, close to restaurants and San Francisco public transportation

Like most everything, could improve breakfast but the coffee was great

Very clean, bed comfortable but problem shutting off fan but was warm anyway. Breakfast not bad but have had better at other Best Westerns but not too complain. Front desk employees very friendly etc. as well as good location. Even where located very quiet at least the room I had. Would go back again, as well as being close to SFO, The Bay and Coyote Point park.

The cost. My gosh. This was the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed at doe that price. It was like a $300/night Hotel 6.

Location was the best thing, and it wasn’t that good.

• King Room - Disability Access

It is just me, but I had to park under neath the building and I don't like elevators, so would have rather parked at street level, but was full

Great bed, clean, wonderfully complete breakfast! We were there for my 60th high school reunion weekend. Perfect spot for us to get everywhere.

Interior worn out, sheets and towels require replacement. 'Great breakfast' - not so great - slightly above average motel quality. I called them to help me solve a double charge of my card after coming back home. Person on the phone told me, it was the night shift and she can't help me. She asked me to call back later. I would expect her to handle the claim. She couldn't even give me an email address to write the claim.

Reasonable price. Clean.

• King Room - Disability Access

It was a great place to stay. Would use again if in the area.

Just a great location. Wonderful room with great amenities. Front desk very helpful with directions. We were in the room with handicap accommodations- great choice. Have looked up other of your locations for the future. Signed up for rewards program.

Bed was unclean, bathroom dirty, no toilet rolls, carpets dirty all over the hotel and inside the room. No one at front desk and only 1 person at times with bad service and not friendly. Waited for detergent for 20 minutes.

Bed was comfortable, laundry, fridge, microwave.

Rooms are outdated (felt like I'm in a time machine), They created a confusion by copying my room key to another family that arrived that day and caused confusion and inconvenience, from that point on I had to change my room key daily because it stopped working, staff wasn't always at the front desk and I needed to wait to get back to my room, the safe in the room did not work. for $270 per night I expected more

Large room, comfort bet, effective AC, flat TV with HD channels

The bed was just a little too soft for me, though it was fine for the rest of the family. For a family of 4, wished the room was a little bigger. We got the family room with 2 queens.

Food was good. But we were there for 2 weeks and wished for something different. Location was great for our purposes. My daughters loved the hot tub and gym. Staff was helpful in getting us extra furniture to put our stuff on. Loved the free washing machine and dryer.

• King Room - Disability Access

Possibly understaffed. The facility does not have a laundry service! The gym AC was not working well and the hotel had a system wide problem with the in-room safes. I will not be staying there in the future. As a business travel, I need the above services.

Staff is excellent and friendly.

The location of the hotel is right next to the freeway, there is no were to sit in the sun when you get back from a day out apart from the car park.

The breakfast was good

The hotel is very basic. It lacks a lot of the services provided on most hotels. There is no kitchen so while there is a basic breakfast provided there's no option for lunch, dinner or room service. There is no laundry service but they do provide self service machines. I was there for business and for me the above were problematic when I'm trying to spend time working rather than trying to find food and washing clothes. Additionally if you want to go anywhere outside the hotel expect to take a cab to get there. There's no public transport and there's nothing in the vicinity of the hotel (shops, bars, restaurants).

The internet access and TV were good quality.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

AC too noisy but fortunately able to open window to take advantage of cool night air so was able to shut off AC/fan for the night. Road noise quieter than AC.

Hotel quiet, spacious room, comfortable bed

• King Room with Roll In Shower-Disabilty Access

no real issue actually - try to avoid the room near reception/vending machines

- very convenient location near airport, not noisy - rich breakfast - nice friendly staff - reasonably clean

A little pricey for the room.

I was shocked! Best Western had the best hotel breakfast ever! It was so relaxing to enjoy a hot breakfast on the patio outdoors.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• King Room - Disability Access

My only complaint and it wasn't so much an issue this time, but sometimes I must get around in a wheelchair and the door in the underground parking to the elevators is very unwieldy. It would have been hard to open and get through in a wheelchair as it was so heavy and unwieldy.

I found the bed to be very comfortable and I had a great nights sleep. I have a physical disability and I loved how few steps it was to get from the underground parking up to my room.

Just a little tricky to find if you're coming south on hwy 101. You can see it on the other side of the freeway but have to go and exit too far south, then turn back and come back up north on hwy 101 and take the Doric ave. turnoff. It would have been good to know this in advance but I didn't do my research.

Wonderfully comfortable bed and really friendly, helpful staff. I would most deifnitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

There's nothing around the hotel, which is more like a motel. The restaurant is just for breakfast, otherwise there are vending machines. Downtown San Mateo is about 1.5 miles away, 6 USD with Uber or 30 minutes of walking. There's a good supermarket called Fred's Market not far from the hotel.

Very spacious, well-appointed rooms with comfortable bed. Very accommodating staff.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Room was not as clean as it could be -- could see grease marks left on desk. Couch was so old and dirty looking I didn't even sit in it. Bathroom wallpaper had marks of old lighting fixture and pencil writing from the installation. Just overall run down, old and felt dirty.

I was looking for an affordable hotel not too far from SF for spending a weekend with my family and this was a great find. The overall experience was great and we loved their service.

No water fountain or alternatives but buying USD 1.50 bottles at vending machine (which in our floor was no working). It was not a disaster, but we thought the bathroom could be cleaner. We were not expecting to use the swimming pool but that cannot be called one.

Hotel has friendly staff, with good (not great) breakfast and great beds and pillows. Good cable selection and good internet connection. We thought it was a good fit for a family with one traveling on business and others accompanying.

The location was a bit questionable. I thought it was much closer to where my business meeting took place but that isn't something that is changeable. I also try to be realistic about these things but there was a small amount of hair on my bath towels that was a bit concerning since the rest of the room was astoundingly​ clean.

The staff was absolutely stellar very friendly and walked me through where everything was located at the hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

There is nothing I didn't like Maybe an easier way to get the luggage moved into elevator 🙌😁

Love the coyote point area Spent a lot of time here as a kid🙌🐰

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

very thin walls could hear snoring nextdoor! breakfast could be better. fridge gauge broken, couldnt adjust freezing fridge temp

close to san mateo convention center, quiet exterior, pretty clean. spacious room, easy parking.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

No complimentary water in the rooms and the tap water wasn't great. Tried to buy some from the vending machines on the landings ($1.50 for a small bottle) but they'd sold out. Went to ask at reception and was asked for $2 a bottle! Mentioned this when checking out. Received an apology but no refund! The bath and shower need an overhaul. Don't like bolsters etc. (invariably thrown on the floor and never washed) on clean, freshly laundered bedlinen.

Very convenient for San Francisco airport. Near the motorway too but very quiet, despite this. Friendly, welcoming & courteous reception staff. Just a standard double bed but very comfortable (firm base, soft mattress topper). A decent breakfast. Not spectacular or of particularly high quality, but decent nonetheless, particularly for the money (included in the price of the room). Crispy bacon was enjoyed and recommended by my meat-eating companions!

The work out room---No air circulation. Very hot! machines were adequate but not enough of them. Either turn on the air conditioning in that room or provide a fan. I propped the door open with the garbage can to get some air.

Great value for the money. Wasn't looking for fancy. Just a clean basic accommodation. The front desk and cleaning staff were available and helpful.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

There's not enough parking but other than that it's all great!

Everything was excellent! I took a group of 23 and we stayed here the whole week and didn't have one problem.

It seemed like no one was using the jacuzzi at all. It looked kinda dirty and scary. Also location was weird and right next to a freeway, Had to drive on the freeway just to get to a CVS.

Breakfast had a lot of options. King room was really spacious. Free parking.

The lads who stayed in room 307 and felt it was their given right to shout and talk crap until all hours.... Nothing to do with hotel only with guests who had no consideration for others

The breakfast was 'decent' enjoyable. The underground parking was great lots of parking to be had. The room was big enough for 4 people to wander around comfortably. I liked that i could go 2 blocks to the Holiday Inn for my evening meal which meant no driving.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

My checkin was not possible due front desk didn't find my Booking reservation so I needed to pay standard fare to check in. This was the first bad experience I had with booking.com and from now I do not trust in to do my reservation with Booking. The attendant promised to call to booking and check what happen but until my checkout none was done. Very bad.

Hotel room is nice, all other aspects are below my expectation like location, food options around (hotel is far from any restaurant and doesn't have own dining service. I do not recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• King Room with Roll In Shower-Disabilty Access

Parking a little too restricted in number of spaces for size of hotel. Need satnav to find.

Breakfast included and good choice. Tea and Coffee in room. Met all our requirements for a hotel close to airport after a long flight.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

I would like to have seen a more comfortable reception area. Somewhere to relax while I waited for my ride or just sit outside my room. The temperture inside the room was difficult to control. The bath tub and shower didn't work properly. Awaken by a loud party next door at 1:40 Saturday night.

Very friendly and facility was kept clean. We switched rooms during our stay. I booked the first 2 nights 1 queen bed, through the hotel. This room was great. The final 3 nights were booked through Book It , at a discounted price. This room had 2 queen beds. The complaints reflect our last 3 nights.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

The breakfast buffet was very well tended. Hot food was hot, cold food was cold. The area was kept very clean and well stocked. Very appetizing. Great job.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

It is a little troubling the California statement about cancer inducing substances, but I found the statement also another hotels close to roads...

Nice place, huge parking lot, easy to find. The room was nice and large

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Was an overnight stay. Several family members booked rooms here. Staff figured out that we were all related and put us all in the same floor without us asking! Very thoughtful of them!

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

I was told I could keep the charge on my husband's card at check in. At check in, I was told it wasn't possible and that I would have to use another card. No explanation or goodwill offer.

The room was large and comfortable. Liked having microwave.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Edmund at the front desk was the best! He made our stay welcoming. Housekeeping staff are polite. The room with 2 queen beds are spacious and clean. Hot breakfast was good, fresh B waffles, fruits, egg omelettes, bacon, sausages & more. I would definitely stay here again!

Easy access right off the freeway. Front desk & maids staff always friendly & helpful. Room is clean & spacious. Will definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

This room was for my 81 year old mother and her friend. It was close to my house so she didn't have to drive back to SF after Christmas dinner. She raved about your hotel. Thank you!!

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

The view was of roof tops with apartment windows and balconies below. It was less than appealing.

It was right off the freeway 30 minutes San Jose and 15 minutes from San Francisco. The rooms were clean. The lobby and breakfast areas are spacious. There is a very small fitness center, a sauna, and a spa.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Ed at the front desk was rude & drop the calls many times & never called back

Ed at the front desk was rude & drop the calls many times & never called back

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

When I checked in, the hotel computer was down. So staff cannot find our booking. This is the last thing you want after a 12 hours flight. Also, the baby cot I offered prior to travel was not ready. I have to go to their storage to get one by myself. not a good service.

Not far from SFO airport. relatively cheap. standard hotel.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Would love to see a lounge or seating area somewhere in the hotel and the free breakfast quality needs improvement (more gluten free options a bonus).

The beds are extremely comfortable, very clean room and quiet space. Oh and the wifi is super fast!

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

There's no attached restaurant for lunch or supper dining. Safes in the rooms did not work. No shuttle from hotel to SFO airport. Definitely rent a vehicle and be prepared to drive to dinner and San Francisco.

Very good free buffet breakfast with waffles, omelets, and fresh fruit. No charge for parking. Coffee and tea available 24 hours. Friendly, helpful front desk staff. Clean rooms with comfy bed pillows. Good value for the money. .

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

No pool.

All the staff went above and beyond to make our stay perfect!!! Very helpful and friendly. The Hotel's lobby, outdoor ara, patio, fitness center, our rooms,and breakfast area were very clean. The breakfast was delicious. Would definately stay again. Thank you!!!