Reviews of Comfort Suites Newark 3 stars

1348 McCarter Highway, Newark, NJ 07104, USA

#3 of 18 hotels in Newark

Location as to where I would be visiting
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The room door did not lock and the gentleman /front person didn't feel like that was a problem and since they didn't have a locksmith on hand he felt there was no need to be concern just use the little latch. I believe if he had shown a little better customer service about our concern I would not be writing this. While we did leave we will not be staying there again. We often make this trip to New York and New Jersey. This would have been our second visit. The first visit was great that's why we returned.

Location as to where I would be visiting

Affordable price, clean and comfortable rooms, excellent parking.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The breakfast on the first morning was cold. They had no variety. It was the same breakfast every morning. Coffee is not available throughout the night. So, if you want coffee before 6am, you have to make it in your room. A couple of the staff were friendly, but the rest-not so much.

Very affordable prices. The room, bed, and pillows were extremely comfortable. The room was large with an extra area that had a couch, floor lamp, and foot stools. The parking is excellent. The room and everywhere was very clean and well kept.

I would stay again.

Breakfast ran out by 9:30. I wish they had an outdoor space to sit at.

The beds were really comfortable I love having a microwave and fridge in the room.

Comfortable property, but not a great location as no restaurants nearby within walking distance
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Should have the pickup from airport as the hotel is just 15 minutes from Newark Liberty International airport. Registration process - they are fine. Any additional query about early checkout - they are not that friendly.

It is Comfort Suites, same standards maintained.

Great sleep, Great price, Great Service

Excellent hotel for the price, loved the location and easy access to highway. Staff was extremely helpful and always positive. Free wifi, free parking and free hot breakfast was a cherry.

Listen to your customer

Asked for a blanket and was told first I could not have it. Then later was told i had to come get it if i want it after my room had not been served that day. Had to call that night for towels, rags and face towels and for the trash to be emptied. Front desk needs to be nicier.

That property was clean. The breakfast was delicious. It was quiet. Really enjoyed myself after that first day.

The two ppl at the front desk Nelly and another gentleman ...

The two ppl at the front desk Nelly and another gentleman (whose name escapes me) treated me like family. The two of them were so warm and welcoming beyond the call of duty. They listed several restaurants in the area for me and my friend to eat at as well as the best entertainment in the area. They made me feel at home.

Nice. But unfriendly no-show policy when arriving after 4 am.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

When we arrived at 5am (due to delayed flight) we were told we were a no-show and had to pay again for a room. After contacting booking.com we received a refund, which is great of course, but why put us through this in the first place? It's unfriendly, upsetting, and I had to contact booking.

Based on a 1 night stay: Comfortable bed. Quiet. Large room.

A pleasant stay and will definite try again.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

I just wish there is towel rack near the tub. They are far apart since the bathroom is large.

The breakfast eggs are very fluffy and yummy. The bed is super comfortable. The room is much bigger than expected with nice decorations. All staffs are very nice and always smiling when talking to us. Will come back!

Convenient
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Check in process is debatable and maybe unlawful. After paying online in advance I was requested to give driver license and credit card which was copied. Upon my checking out i asked for my information back in which the clerk reached into an unsecured and exposed open binder and withdrew a copy of my credit card and license. This is an unethical practice which has lead to universal IDENTITY THEFT 101.Management needs to look into another method to protect the consumer best interest

Bed was comfortable and room was clean

Not a bad place to stay.

The area is a little sketchy but the hotel was fine.

Everything was clean and the people were friendly. We went to a soccer game at the Red Bull Arena and this place is really close to it.

Will not stay at a Comfort suites inn again.

Location it is in a ghetto, lack of maid services our first four days we had no maid service “due to an unexpected staffing problem”. Breakfast was abysmal, if you aren’t there at the start there was nothing left and several times it was the staff eating the food guests paid for in their hotel fees.

The stay was comfortably and staff friendly.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Breakfast area a bit small,and when we went for breakfast no eggs,or sasauge or bacon was there.They did bring stuff out after.

The stay was comfortably and staff friendly.

We booked a room for four people and then when we showed up...

We booked a room for four people and then when we showed up we were in a room with one king bed. It took an hour to correct the error. It was late and we were tired.

Not the place to stay.

There were cops in our hotel every 4hours people was smoking weed right outside the main door. We did not feel safe at all. We had neighbors knock on our door asking for change or if we had cigarettes. Loud noises in the lobby til 11pm. We can hear the loud music from the other room.We had 3 kids and a baby definitely not the place to stay when travelling with young children. Food was horrible. Missing sirop had to wait 10mins for them to bring out the sausage and eggs.

Near New York City.

We will not recommend this location, and will not be returning to this location.

Safety was a big concern. There were people constantly yelling, arguing, knocking on our door at 2:00 am. The breakfast area was not organized, tables not cleared.

Close to Penn Station to catch PATH to NYC.

Location was good.

The only item I would have liked to have was a room safe as I didn't want to carry all credit cards & cash with me.

Location was good. Staff was very friendly!

Would love to come back when it is warmer.

The air vent in the bathroom was very loud like something was loose. I like eggs but would have like mine with out the filling. I also can not eat low fat items (yogurt) so given a choice would be nice.

The room excellent, The bed was very comfortable, the refrigerator was large and keep my ice packs frozen, the shower was nice and hot and even had a hand rail, and the sink counter was large to hold a lot of personal items. The air vent in the bathroom was very loud like something was loose.

This hotel houses homeless people. Which is fine, except the hotel looses it's level of excellence.

Dirty, guest were loud after midnight running in the halls. Saw a cockroach in the bathroom.

Staff was pleasent. Even though they had to switch our rooms due to a heavy smoke smell in the first room.

Comforted in a new city

Smaller parking lot

Customer service was phenomenal! I had to check in super late (1am) because of mix ups with my flights and transportation. They had my room ready and I checked in with ease (after calling to confirm). I was able to park in a non-parking area because it was so late and they assured me my car would be okay (which it was). Bed was very comfortable and the room was huge! Nice variety for breakfast too :)

Happy!!!!

Yes the bed was like a cloud!! The Front Office is Simple Awesome. Angie, Zumarie, Melissa, Brittany,Hajar, Sheila, Eric and Adrian were just a total delight. They made you feel so welcome and went above and beyond to help. Thank you for letting me and my Princess feel so at home. You Guys Rock!!!!! HouseKeeping was so Awesome too. These lady did they job so so well....

the staff are unprofessional.

the staff are unprofessional. they will tell you that when you book , you will pay at arrival but once they get hold of your card info, they will be collecting money from your account without any service rendered.

It was a satisfactory experience.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Smelly towels. It would be nice if they label the breakfast when they serve (especially the sausages).The taxi fare from hotel to the nearest Penn station will be 10 dollars (approx.).

Helpful staff and food. Spacious room.

Disappointed
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

I booked for the weekend from Friday to check out Monday . Due to circumstantial reasons , I couldn’t show up on Friday but arrived at 10am on Saturday Morning an hour before check out time . I try to check in and I’m told I was marked as a no show . I had just driven three hours to New Jersey and on top of that I was told I cannot check in until 3 and would have to make another reservation , not the best way to be welcomed when I drove from out of town . On top of this they charged me for the no show

Disappointed
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The check in process was a nightmare. They had my reservation wrong. Had me there for one night not two. I arrived just before 5pm and I had to wait for a room to be cleaned on top of my reservation being messed up. The check in girls were rude about it like it was my fault the reservation was incorrect. No apology was made regarding the mix up or having to wait for a room to be cleaned. Nothing was offered to off set it. Then the morning of my check out I was awakened with a startling scratchy noise as someone was trying to stuff my receipt OVER my door at 5am. It sounded like someone was trying to get into my room.

free wifi

Good hotel to stay at very friendly,clean and comfortable
    • Queen Suite - Disability Access

Room service walked in my room while my family and i was getting dressed

I would have pefer to be asked if i needed room service at the front desk,instead of them walking in on my family and i without permission

Will definitely stay again
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Everything was near perfect, only complain is the squeaky floor, at night we can here the people upstairs walking, all night.

The bed was very comfortable, the room was huge and we had a sink, coffee maker and microwave in our room.

A Comfortable and rewarding stay .

Suggest replacing hall carpet on 2nd floor. The carpet had old stains on it.

We arrived a little before 3 am on 10/22/2017. The young lady at the desk greeted us , and us checked in a few moments. She was very prompt and courteous. The outside of the Hotel was well lit, and monitored with security cameras. Our room was very clean, and our beds were nice and comfortable..We really love the Hotels no smoking policy.The breakfast was great and had an ample assortment of fresh food. The Dining room was well maintained by friendly staff. The Hotel was very easy to find and was located within 10 mins from our Family and friends. We had a very rewarding stay and will be returning to this hotel on our next to this area.

Clean room and bathroom.

Clean room and bathroom. Comfy bed and pillows. Modern desk. Close to New York City and on site parking. Tops diner nearby. A clean, decent and affordable place near everything and safe.

The hotel was modern and clean, but the location was difficult--it is not downtown Newark.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The location was far from downtown and nothing was within walking distance. There was noise all night long, inside and outside the hotel, making it difficult to sleep. The traffic noise I can understand, but the inside noise was from people in the hallways, all night long. There did not appear to be any security, which is problematic in a city like Newark.

It was clean and had a good parking lot. The location was far from downtown and nothing was within walking distance. There was noise all night long, inside and outside the hotel, making it difficult to sleep.

Perfect short stay location
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

There appeared to be a musty odor in the room

All was perfect for a good nights rest and start to the following day. Super breakfast for the traveler Wonderful staff

An awesome experience I wil definitely return for the next 4 years, while my son attends Columbia

No complaints

THe hostess who Checked us in Kiara was awesome, pleasant and caring. She assisted with coordinating a trip to New York to drop off my son at Columbia, and made sure my car was also checked in and logged for safety. I highly recommend this hotel.

The room was very clean.

The bed was too firm. I had trouble sleeping. The hotel isn't located in a nice area. It is surrounded by rundown factories.

The room was very clean.

Overall, we were quite satisfied with the hotel. We would recommend this hotel to other people.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

You didn't feel comfortable walking too far beyond the parking lot. It didn't feel safe. Also smokers are allowed to smoke too close to the entrance to the hotel.

The breakfast was very good and there was a great variety of items to choose from. The staff were always friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. The room was always clean.

We were 100% satisfied
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Can you fix the weather. It was too humid. Continue a staff that smiles and cares. You are serving your clients well. Thank you!

The waffles were easy to make and easy to enjoy. One choice flavored( blueberry) Crisp and fresh. Fresh fruit appreciated.

The stay was satisfactory considering tbe price and amenities.
    • Queen Suite - Disability Access

The location was a little scary.

The hotel was clean and housekeeping came by every day. The breakfast was served at expected time with a variety of food, and at appropriate temperature.

Wouldn't recommend it. Most of the staff was very accommodating.

They received full payment and still kept a hold on the credit card because they " didn't know how to release it". The second room had a broken latch on the door that would be obvious to anyone that came in the room. The elevator was out of service when we first arrived but was finally fixed at some point the next day. But it's great carrying your luggage to one end of the hotel, up the stairs, and then to the other end of the hotel.

Well our first room stunk horribly so they let us switch.

Pleasant.

The shower knob needs cleaning. It had mildew on it. Otherwise the room was clean.

Love the bed. I also like the breakfast, not too heavy, just enough, good choices, to start the day.

Comfortable Stay
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Staff was friendly. The room was clean and beds were very comfortable. Location was great for us. Easy access to Seton Hall where we were takibg our son.

Convenuent base to get into New York - nice hotel but didnt like the location.

The area was not very nice - wanted to walk back from station but didn't want to at night. Just further along the road the area improved.

Lovely well kept and decorated rooms. Nice bathroom all spotlessly clean. Breakfast okay.

I'd recommend this hotel for the value

We didn't feel the location was safe enough.

The hotel interior is great with new renovation. We liked the room and bed size. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was very good with varieties.

Just upset booking com lost my reservation.

They lost my reservation through booking.com wasnt to happy about that. So i had to make my own reservation once i arrived at the location.

The bed was amazing. The room was super clean. Staff were nice.

It was ok

Frige was broken I reported noone fixed. Houskeping clened halfway Floors wasn't vacuum

Reception personal was friendly and ok just need more time on breakfast some people like a tourist Sleeps longer and come to the hotel late in the morning.

Pleasant stay. Would recommend for a short stay.

No restaurant, only one washer and dryer, loud at night

Very friendly staff, comfortable bed, microwave, hairdryer and coffe machine in room and the free breakfast offered.

Brief stay Ok!
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

There is no adjustment , in the bathroom , to turn the fan off when not needed. For this day and age, why were the tv stations so limited to Disney and game shows from 1960? No current sports available, no Fox News, ever hear of Satellite Dish?

The sofa and table. Bed nice and liked the welcome bag when we arrived. Frig and microwave handy although we didn't use it. Best restaurant ever - Tops- not too far away if you aren't afraid of going out at night behind the motel. Breakfast handy and good.

Top value, convenient location motel
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Lack of fresh fruit variety for breakfast

Convenient location for my trip, close to beautiful park for excellent morning runs. Newark downtown is walkable!!! For us limeys anyway ;-p

It was in a terrible area. Not what I expected. There was a homeless person just outside the gate so I didn't feel comfortable walking to the market.

Very Awesome!

cant think of anything.

Breakfeats was good.. beds were so comfy, fell asleep so fast, showers was awesome, shampoo and conditioner smell amazing and room is super clean and organized and room is easy to breath.

A great place to stay

Nothing. Every thing was good

The comfort of the room. The bed, the free internet, it was very quiet. And we just enjoyed ourselves. Also the refrigerator was nice very cold. We

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Everything *inside* the building was great;

Geographically the property was fine. It was in a pretty bad looking neighborhood...I wouldn't recommend going for a walk outside the property.

Everything *inside* the building was great; great value for the money.

Good for the price

The noise level. We were on 2nd floor people over top us were extremely loud their child ran all night and early morning.

Breakfast was great and clean hotel, staff very friendly.

OK place to stay, but don't walk outside!
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Breakfast. Unhealthy. No vegetables (no tomato, cucumber etc.). Plus for the eggs, but still. Offer something different than ketchup and unhealthy bread. The neighborhood is scary. I didn't know. People from NY said that I'm lucky to be alive...

Room was large. Bed was large, but the mattress should be harder. Soft is unhealthy to your spine. Cleaning lady was very nice. Thanks for the extra water. Closeness to the train station. Well-equipped room.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Great night sleep
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Sorry but the breakfast was awful. I have stayed at Comfort Inn plenty of times and always enjoyed their breakfast.

Love the front staff. Very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Needs improvement

There was an overwhelming chemical smell in the hotel. The hotel was way overpriced for the accommodations and the surrounding location did not feel safe.

The staff was very friendly and the bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Breakfast was not as we expected. Limited choice for a buffet style meal.

Room was prestine clean. Loved the pillows and beds were extra comfy. Snoozed like a baby!

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Excellent hotel. Bus+Train to Manhattan (hotel to city ~1hr, <$10). Safe but rough neighborhood.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The bed (in our room) had little support (might just be a soft bed by design) and didn't help much with my back problems. I was still able to find a position to sleep but a firmer bed would be much appreciated. The area at the vicinity of the hotel is a little rough. Sidewalks are not maintained and there's a mix of sand, gravel, and broken glass. There are razor wires hanging from properties adjacent to the sidewalks at face-height (beware!) and cars permanently parked on the sidewalk. Walking to train station was a little... difficult, but possible. I recommend taking the bus when you can ($2.60 exact fare).

Staff were helpful and kind. The hotel is clean, tidy, and nice. Room was clean and spacious. Breakfast (was included to room) was much much better than other "affordable" hotels I've been to (a very good continental breakfast). The hotel was silent enough for a night's rest despite being in a relatively loud area. NJ train system (which can be used to get to Manhattan) is at walking distance (~10 minutes). Newark Pennsylvania Station is about 25 min away by foot (but there are buses that get you there if you don't wanna walk)

Great hotel

Breakfast had a nice selection of eggs, ham or sausage, bagels, waffles, yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, danishes, juices and coffee. The attendant was great at keeping the items full or being fast with the refills if asked. The front desk staff was very helpful with all of our out-of-town questions. Rooms were immaculate and comfy, and with the location only a couple of miles from the Prudential Center, it's a great location.

Great hotel

The only thing I didn't like and something that can't really be helped is the location of this hotel. Newark probably isn't the safest place so it's not safe to walk around from the hotel to any other locations.

It was clean, the rooms were spacious, and the staff were so nice and helpful! The beds were comfortable and I didn't have any issues at all. It wasn't that far from prudential center either which was a HUGE plus. I'm really glad I stayed here.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

It was 15 degrees F in Newark and our room didn't have...

It was 15 degrees F in Newark and our room didn't have heat, we complained to the front desk and got the reply, "oh, I guess I am sorry"

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

THE ROOM WAS VERY CLEAN AND I LOVE THE SMALL KITCHEN AREA.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

FOR THE FRONT DESK TO INFORMED THE STAFF WHAT ROOM HAVE LATE CHECK OUT. EVERY 30 MIN AFTER 1200. THE CLEANING CREW WAS KNOCKING ON OUR DOOR. I WAS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT.

THE ROOM WAS VERY CLEAN AND I LOVE THE SMALL KITCHEN AREA.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Clean but scary!!!!

I was traveling with a teenager and did not feel safe there. People, not employees, hanging around desk when I checked in. I was not comfortable. Fri. nite must be party nite. Lots of unsavory characters inside and out. Lots of noise in the hall during the nite. The front door was open on Fri. nite and Sat. nite, anyone could walk in. Only saw a security vehicle there on my last nite. I had been told there was a guard there at nite. I was glad I had someone who dropped me off each nite and stayed until they knew we were in the room.

The room was a good size and clean. I slept good. Clean towels everyday. Breakfast was 4 hours so easy to get food to start day.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Comfort Suites Newark smells FUNKY
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

It smelled FUNKY. It was a cross between kind bud, body odor, and cheap cleaning spray to cover it up... FUNKY. The ice machine was broke. There are no closets to hang your clothes. And don't expect a TV guide to tell you what the channels are because they are too busy to print it off. You may also get mugged in this part of town.

It was close to the airport.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Not sure if i would stay again...
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Hotel is beginning to get tired and run down, no sense of urgency to maintain it. Cleanliness was spotty at best. Not sure if i would stay again. No airport limosine????

Front desk person was amazing. Breakfast was adequate. Cleanliness was in the middle. Hotel starting to get run down and doesnt seem like there is any desire to maintain it...stuff right out in the open that needs to be fixed or updated, in guest view, but broken down. Not sure if i would stay again, but staff was the good takeaway.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Good value, friendly staff, aggravating guests.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

When I first checked in and talked to the staff and got into my room I thought to myself "I would not mind at all staying here the next time I come. I really like it." But my first night apparently I got a noise complaint at 11 at night from the room next to me. When all I was doing was watching a movie. The security came and told me the first time to keep it down. I told her I'm just watching a movie so I don't know what this noise is you're talking about. 5 minutes later I get a call from the front desk telling me to keep the noise down again. And at this point it's really aggravating because I don't know what noise they're talking about. Then 5 minutes after the phone call the security and some other person comes back to my room threatening to call the police on me and kick me out if I don't keep it down. I did not like that at all. I wasn't making any loud noise to disrupt anybody around me. And the fact that it went to that level of them threatening to kick me out after I payed money to stay there was completely uncalled for. If it weren't for this incident I would have definitely stayed there again but if I'm going to be subjected that again, I'll pass.

The free breakfast was nice and the room was very nice.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

The facility was good but the front desk staff lady was...

The front desk lady was not nice on the phone and was nasty whenAigot there but the manag t came to my rescue and the restaurant staff were great

The facility was good but the front desk staff lady was nasty but the manager was great

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

The beds, room, linens were very nice and comfortable.

The physical plant not in a nice condition (doors frayed, hallway dingy, dark). Also the noise level is really high!! and everyone has to slam door to shut it!!

The beds, room, linens were very nice and comfortable. The room was clean and had small amenities (refrigerator, coffee/tea pot).

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Newark Stay
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Only issue was being given a room that was already occupied, but that was quickly remedied and worked out nicely since we went from a 3rd floor room to 1st floor room.

Hotel, staff and amenities were excellent. Close to the Train station for travel to the city. Would definitely come back to CS whenever we're back in the Newark area.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

The room was lovely and clean .
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Breakfast is poor. Juices didn't taste like juice. The smell off smoke in my bathroom as if it was coming through the vent when my room was non-smoking.

The room was lovely and clean . Bed was so comfy.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Good hotel on a highway

Hotel does not offer airport shuttle from nearest airport, Newark. Wish they could also offer shuttle service to Broad Street Station even at a fee. Need to ask the front desk for directions to get to nearest bus stop (Broad Street and Gouverneur Street) and train station. On our first day, ended up at Newark Penn Station which is far. Not many restaurants nearby.

When making the booking, I erroneously booked a day earlier and when I called the hotel, the front office changed the dates without problems. We liked the comfy bed and pillows, big bedroom, clean towels and bed sheets. The hotel offers a paying self operated laundry, good for long stays! Continental breakfast and fast speed WiFi. Free coffee at the lobby and chilled lemon drinking water. Would stay again at this place.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Service was very adequate, rooms were cleaned on a regular...

Elevator out 4 out of the 6 days at the hotel. Stairwell door was located next to our room, and every few minutes the slamming of the exit door became extremely hard to get sleep.Breakfast was overly crowded and some hot food items were warm, but not hot. Coffee could have been better.Parking entry location had only one opening for entering and exiting.

Service was very adequate, rooms were cleaned on a regular basis. Facility was clean throughout. Beds were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Clean

I understand thing break but when I call down from the third floor to see if the elevator was working no help . When I get down to the front desk & mention to him he said I should have ask for help after I already had call him very dissatisfied with his answers. Being around 60 years old carrying coolers and luggages

Clean

Great comfort

I didn't really care for the busy traffic in the area but what else is to be expected downtown Newark.

The continental breakfast was good and I appreciate the free wifi since I hooked up my amazon fire stick to the tv.They also let me do a late checkout

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

pleasant

location, if you aren't familiar with the location, you could miss it entirely.

the room was very spacious. the staff was very nice, allowed us to have a late check out.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Excellent staff and facilities.

Excellent staff and facilities. 1.5 miles from penn station jersey (Newark station) for NJ transit track one to NYC. Uber to the station was 6.55 each way and train into the city was 5.25 each way.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Loving it

Distance from Newark train station. Wish we didn't have to get a cab each time.

The friendly and helpful staff and the wafflesthe lemon infused water