Reviews of Clarion Inn and Suites by Choice Hotels Grand Rapids Airport 3 stars

4981 28th Street Southeast, Grand Rapids, MI 49512, USA

#26 of 33 hotels in Grand Rapids

• Double Queen Room

Everything was worn down, the rooms were battered ready for some updates. We only found one plug that would work. The t.v. base was broken so was the phone, clock and remote.. the toilet looked as if someone flushed gravel down it on the daily, when you flushed it sounded like a tornado coming through. We survived the night but will not return.

• Double Queen Room

At check in, they gave my room to someone else, & let that guest sign on the slip that had my credit card. I tried twice to speak to Debbie the manager who was actually the one who gave my room to another guest, but never did connect with her. I was told it was because she was new and didn’t know everything yet. Really? Then why is she working unsupervised? They “upgraded” my daughter and I to a jacuzzi room. It was very weathered let’s say. Tile was poorly caulked throughout the room. Carpet was worn and old looking. Our access door to the outside was by the dumpster. Ugh. So glad to be home.

Close to freeway

• Double Queen Room

The shower curtain was too short, thus allowing water to go all over the floor. The floor tiles were loose, I assume due to water getting under them. I did report this to the clerk when we went down to breakfast.

• Double Queen Room

The beds sat too high from the floor, hard to get into. The floor vending machines were on the opposite end of the hall, and they were not very well stocked.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good, and there was a good variety.

Room was really beat up. Everything was patched, banged up or broken. We feel like we got the best price for the worst room in the place. Probably will not use this booking service again.

Friendly staff and good location. Walking distance to several restaurants.

My bed wasn't made with a flat sheet, just a fitted sheet and a comforter. The whole place just seemed a little shabby.

The staff was helpful, and the price was certainly right.

as above I was concerned with privacy and safety of this hotel. The place was clean and the breakfast was very good.

As I was coming into the lobby a sherriff or bounty hunter was dragging one of your guests out in hand cuffs. After this I questioned the privacy and safety of your hotel. Did the staff call the bounty hunter on one of the guests? Who is my private info shared with when I stay there? Do they take my license and run it past the police or give my info to a bounty hunter? Did the staff profit from this in some way? I did not feel safe staying there after this incident and probably would not choose this hotel again.

• Double Queen Room

The bathroom needs updated. Just felt old & dirty.

Loved the bed & pillows. The staff was friendly & helpful. The breakfast was good. The check in area was beautiful

Hotel could use updating but was good for the price and clean

Our room was very quiet (bonus), even though hotel was full. Breakfast was very adequate. Price was great compared to hotels in the city. Front desk staff was very friendly.

Eggs at breakfast

We stayed in room 243 which was a regular room with a long bed. Room was very clean and bed was super comfortable. There the property was very clean and the black guy that checked us in with dread locks was very helpful and polite. Would honestly stay there again. Also the general manager Ashtin is super nice. Breakfast was a normal hotel breakfast. Bacon was good, make your own waffles, yogurt, oatmeal, milk was cold and up to date. Eggs were not very good but they reminded me of eggs at chowhall sometimes at boy scout camp and in the service. Over all I'd stay there any day. Great value for the money.

• Double Queen Room

It is an older building with one elevator at the end of a long hall. The building and room was clean and they have done some updating but still needs a little more, the shower area specifically. If you're looking for luxury find something else if you're looking for a decent place to sleep it's a good choice.

The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful, I was told about a breakfast but had to leave too early she was informed me of a continental breakfast they start prior to the regular breakfast. The room was clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable. The location is close to the airport and there are plenty of dinner choices nearby.

• Double Queen Room

See above.... Trash around the parking lot grounds.

Appreciated the "real" eggs and "real just cooked" bacon for breakfast! The staff was friendly and accommodating in allowing us late checkout because my husband was ill. We were allowed to do minor car repair/maintenance in the back parking lot. The housekeeping staff was cheerful and helpful. We would recommend that the landscaping/grounds crew clean up the litter around the parking lot and the outside landscaping.

Liked everything but I booked the room in advance, was told 2 diffrent thing about when I could check in by staff I had to wait 2.5 hours before I could. Check in, very dissapointed after I drove a long way,

• Double Queen Room

Large bathroom, comfortable beds, and refrigerator in the room was great. The breakfast was excellent, the eggs and sausage were hot, I did not have a waffle even though they smelt delicious.

• Double Queen Room

We stayed two nights. Room was small and somewhat cramped. No closet just small armoire. On second evening we could hear two women verbally fighting about a man, across the hall. Very unsettling and more so that the room did not have a number on the door so it made us wonder if it was staff. One said she was being kicked in the stomach by the other. The second woman left as we were contemplating leaving the hotel to find somewhere else to stay.

Room was clean. Bed comfortable. Linens nice.

Worst hotel that I have been to: the heater was very noisy and even when I turned it off, it kept starting on its own every 15 min!! There was no guide for available TV channels. Furniture was very old and out dated.

This property is extremely dated and in need of a renovation. Room doors slamming in the hallway all night long. You could hear other people's conversations from their room while in your room. Front desk staff seemed as if they didn't want to be bothered by my presence.

The location was fairly decent as it was close to Grand Rapids Airport.

• Double Queen Room

Rooms were dingy. The walls had dirt and scuffs. Holes in the ceiling. Bathtub did not drain, and looked old & nasty (although it appeared it was cleaned). You could hear every noise in the hallway, including other guests that were blaring music and partying until 3am.

Bathroom was nice size. Staff was friendly and allowed early check in.

Though the room was a little outdated, as stated in other reviews, this did not detract from how much we enjoyed our stay and were able to relax.

The location was excellent for a local stay-cation, and the staff was friendly and helpful. I was impressed at the effort they put into keeping the lobby floor dry, since we had just received a lot of snow that usually makes things extra slippery.

• Double Queen Room

The only thing I would have changed: It was chilly doing work at the desk. When the heater's fan kicked on I was uncomfortable. In fairness I should add that Michigan was hit with an Artic blast the evening I arrived. At 20-below, the fan ran frequently to keep the room at a comfortable 72 degrees. I was wondering if the vent could be angled upward and away from the desk.

The room was well decorated and clean. The bed was comfy and the bathroom perfectly illuminated for an early-morning rise. The breakfast room was pleasant with a variety of hot and cold options. Overall, I was very pleased. Thank-you, Ann

• Double Queen Room

They may be in the process of upgrading the carpeting. It was pretty dirty and worn near the room I stayed in, but farther down the hall it looked better. The doors to the outside were supposed to be locked and only accessible with a key, when in fact, they weren't locked at all. I was a little uncomfortable about that!

The breakfast was more than adequate, and the breakfast room was quite clean.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Marcia , the front desk manager was very efficient, training, taking calls,listenening to the staff, yet she never veered from making the guests feel welcome and a priority. Both of the shuttle drivers were gracious and professional (Thad in the afternoon and Juaquin in the wee hours of the morning). Terrific,clean room! We will be visiting Grand Rapids in the future and now have the Clarion on our "favorites" list. Thank you,

• Double Queen Room

Very late in the evening we discovered the microwave & hairdryer didn't work. My curling iron plug kept falling out of the outlet. I went to call the front desk & guess what? The phone didn't work. I walked to the front desk & was told they couldn't do anything because of the time, that maintenance was gone. The other 2 people were sleeping at the time also. In the morning I was told they couldn't do anything to give us any credit for the room.

The hotel was convenient.

• Double Queen Room

The carpet felt wet to your feet, the tub had moldy grout, the toilet overflowed, and the outlet in the bathroom was broken.

Beds were comfortable but you needed a stool to get into them. Too high

• Double Queen Room

The smell of the glue they were using to lay down the new rug in the hallway

Rooms were comfortable and Breakfast was also good. Clean rooms even though they were remodeling.

At the time there, I did not get any Wifi in the room. The front desk clerk confirmed there was an issue with this on the date I stayed there. The cleaning staff did make one error, there was a previously used soap bar still in the tub/shower in the top soap tray.

Staff was available and accommodating even for late arrival, after 11:00 PM. Room lived up to booking description. Did not explore any common facilities i.e. pool, etc.

First room did not have working air conditioner, changed to one that worked. Overall appearance was not tidy. Shower curtain bar was loose and hanging, hallways were not vacuumed....

• Double Queen Room

The facility was dirty and not worth the money.

The food was good, the service was good but the facility was very dirty. The staff were very friendly and understanding of complaints laid out.

• Double Queen Room

Had a couple maintenance issues. Ceiling light in bathroom was hanging and in corner of tub was cracked along wall. Also, no lightbulb in desklamp.

Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was good. Pet friendly.

• Double Queen Room

The entire hotel is in need of a major update. New carpets and fresh paint are needed throughout. It feels dark and grim. The tile floors in our bathroom and vestibule felt slimy underfoot. The tub needed to be replaced. The doors all slam shut very loudly. The AC's are very old and therefore super loud.

The pool was great

• Double Queen Room

That for the price i originally booked at was high and the actual prive was almost half the cost. And i still havent recieved and money back like I,was told so somewhere out there is my money floating around.

That the staff gave me a lower price than booking.com

• Double Queen Room

Wasn't there long enough to find anything.

Checked in expecting no meals with the plan and were surprised to find a manager's dinner of salad and sheperd's pie. Breakfast was also more than continental with eggs, meat and a waffle maker. The room was clean and adequate for three.( 2 queens). We were not there for an extended stay so did not use pool or any facilities. A good night's sleep and we were off for another day of driving.

The whole property was very old / dirty. The carpet in the hallways was old / stained, sticky liquid spilled in elevator (not properly cleaned the whole stay), drywall patchwork never finished, toilet didn't flush correctly, and the faucet on the bathroom sink was very small (close to the bowl, hard to wash hands). Overall the property has not been well maintained (or updated for years) and it really shows. What was once a nice hotel is now a run down property no longer worth the price to stay there. I did not expect a 5 star luxury suite, my review is based on expectation of a clean building, carpets, floors etc.

Could have had another umbrella or two around the pool area and more lounge chairs (there was one plus one broken one), though there were plenty regular straight-back outdoor chairs.

The bed needed to be replaced. The base was broken and you would roll to the center on this King mattress.

Staff was so friendly. The room was comfortable and spacious. So close to everything.

I don't usually suffer from back problems but one night on their bed made me glad that I only was staying one night. My back is still recovering. The room was noisy, it seems that every door bangs closed. The complimentary breakfast ranks as just about the worst that I've ever been offered. The person on duty during the breakfast period was more interested in playing with her phone than ensuring that the tables were cleaned after use by the guests.

Location was good, pool was the best feature of the hotel.

Someone was pounding on a door for 10 minutes or longer at 3:45 AM. I was too scared to see where. I kept thinking that this would stop soon since the entire floor had to have been awakened. The next morning at breakfast another guest was talking about it and they called the desk and asked them to investigate. Staff did not respond until he had to call a second time. It was difficult to fall back asleep again.

Maids didn't change sheets or vacuum or dust room during a 4 night stay.

Decent got breakfast, good coffee, plenty of lit parking, close to everything

• Double Queen Room

The bathroom in my room needed SO much help. The beds were SO HIGH that I, having mobility issues struggled every night to get into bed. This is NO exaggeration. Who needs beds so high you need a STOOL?

The value was great, attempts to fix room issues, the breakfast was hot and good: eggs and bacon, a variety of baked goods. They are renovating this hotel and it will definitely be a place to stay when they're done. I had some issues with the old bathroom, but they are redoing it soon. Beds were SO HIGH that I, having mobility issues, struggled every night to get into bed. This is NO exaggeration. Who needs beds so high you need a STOOL? Overall, with a lovely outdoor pool, if you're looking for a great value for your $ this is a great deal.

• Double Queen Room

It sucked! Room was filthy and never cleaned by room service staff. Would not have stayed at all but it was too late at night to go anywhere else. Disgusting! Stayed one night and left.

It was a Saturday night and some of the other guests partied late into the night. Still going until 6am was a bit over the top. I don't know if staff made an effort to quiet them down but if they did it didn't work.

Nice breakfast bar. Bed and pillows were comfy. Staff was friendly.

• Double Queen Room

Dirty carpet, bathroom is really really outdated. Only the reception area has been renovated. Otherwise the rest of the hotel is very very old.

It's location and close from the airport.

• Double Queen Room

Kids swimming in the pool at 10:30 at night! My room was right next to pool!

Loved the fluffy pillows, the coffee maker in the room, and the manager's reception

Refrigerator had ice tray with melted water that spilled everywhere. No plugs by the bed.....at all...for cell phone charging. Carpet and bathroom floor were filthy.....as witnessed by looking at the other side of the towel I was standing on.

The bed was extremely comfortable. It was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. That's where the good stuff ends.

• Double Queen Room

Their breakfast could have more variety. Also, they need to improve the lighting in their rooms. It's far too dark in them even with all the lamps on.

Clarion is very nice for an affordable price. The hotel is reliable and provides nice accommodations for both short term and long term stay.

• Double Queen Room

When I booked it the rate was $79 per night. After reading " the fine print" it was really $79 first night $119 the other 2 nights. That was a sneaky trick Booking.com. The air conditioner didn't work properly. 3 light bulbs were blown in the room and some plugs didn't work. It should have been a $50 room per night value wise. The free breakfast was decent.

• Double Queen Room

Nothing, absolutely nothing, I didn't like about my stay there.

Very clean place. Loved the breakfast, eggs, toast, waffles,sausage, choice of juices, room was quiet given being by the airport, and the pool was clean, warm and beautiful, beds were very clean and comfortable, very good hotel. Will book there again in the future if I can get great deal.

1. Assigned room door was open on arrival, although everything seemed in order inside. 2. Air conditioner was noisy and could not be switched off unless pulling the plug from its socket. 3. Hair dryer didn't work (reset didn't help). 4. The pillows were tiny and far too soft. Putting another on top raised my head too much. I was very uncomfortable the whole night and was lucky to have had 2 hours of total sleep. 5. In the room next to me, there was a fairly constant thumping noise from around 02.00 to 04.30. It sounded like furniture being moved around. 6. The breakfast was adequate. I would have preferred sausage to biscuits and gravy. The bacon was inedible.

Room size and layout were OK. Breakfast room was quite spacious. Check-in staff member was pleasant. Bed mattress was comfortable. Parking lot spacious and WiFi was fine.

• Double Queen Room

Staff member ran into the room with the master key when I was there... didn't even knock the door. This should not happen.

Clean, comfortable, quiet, and extra soda drinks at arrival(not expected usually), warm breakfast, good value for the money comparing to the neighbors.

• Double Queen Room

This location has good staff but they can't make up for how filthy everything was. Everything you touched was "sticky". Pool area had left-over trash from day before. Curtains torn, air barley worked. Window seal broken, could not see out my window. Would have half expected some of this for under $100 a night, however this room was not inexpensive at $139. They need to CLEAN this place top to bottom and replace what is worn and broken.

Location was good and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Double Queen Room

where to start. We arrived at 5:00. Check in is at 3:00. The rooms they originally had us in were not cleaned yet. We get to the new rooms (we had 2) and one of them had an awful smell upon opening the door and the sheets and comforters on the bed had blood stains and other big noticeable stains. The toilet in that room was clogged when we got there. The front desk was contacted and they came down to change the sheets and comforters. They didn't do anything about the toilet at that point. They said maintenance will be down shortly. We all went to dinner around 7:30 cane back to the hotel, the toilet is still clogged and hasn't been fixed yet. We contact front desk again no one has been down to fix this yet. They said we'll send maintenance. We get ready and head out for the night. Come back to the hotel around 12:30. Toilet is still not fixed! Front desk gets called again. They said soon maintenance would be down. We said when is soon? Why hasn't this problem been fixed yet? We checked in 8 hours ago and told you of the problem and no one has come to fix it. Big problem since no can use the toilet. So then they finally get maintenance to the room with a huge snake to snake out the toilet. After making a huge mess and working on it with us in the room for over an hour they told us it couldn't be fixed and they needed to move our room. At this point it 2 am. We are all beyond upset with how they are handling this. We get a new room and asked if they would comp any of our bill or discount the room for all the troubles. They told us no. Didn't apologize for the inconvenience. We also contacted the front desk about the refrigerators not working either. Again they said they would come look at them and that the sign on the fridge was old from over a month ago. We thought they took care of that and had our food from dinner in the fridge and everything went bad because they never came to fix the fridge either.

There wasn't anything I liked about this hotel.

• Double Queen Room

The sheets on one of the matresses was stained and the worst thing was my friend who was with me got a lot of bites. We knew it was from there because we were clear before we got there and the next day when we left she noticed some bumps on her hand and as we continued to search we found much more on her, maybe a total of 15 or 16 bites ranging from her foot, her back, her hand to her face. I wanted to go back and let management know but she didn't want to go back there.

• Double Queen Room

The only complaint I have is there were two old stains on my comforter. The (old) stains were very obvious to the naked eye.

Very convenient location, parking was easy. Lots of restaurants right next door/across the street. Breakfast was great!

Bed was very comfy. Don't know about the shower- we were there for only one day before flying home. We were very appreciative of the shuttle service. The drivers were very pleasant and on time. They were very willing to work with our schedule.

• Double Queen Room

I thought it was a 4 star hotel. The carpet was dirty and musty. The staff is not welcoming they all seemed miserable. Dirty towels left on the bathroom floor.

Not much

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Room too small to use pull out bed. Heavy dust on back of dresser. Left bedding from last person on pullout couch. Floor was wet as though an animal urinated on the floor before we checked in. Room had an oder to it. Was offered another room but that was in worse shape than the one we stayed in. Very dissatisfied to say the least!

The mattress.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Double Queen Room

Could have more than meal and salad. The Park & Fly Package did not mention hours of operations to & from GRR Airport. On returning flight with Southwest Airlines arriving at 1am, Shuttle Service was not available only till 11pm. Which I was not advized prior to my departure on the 31May 2017. Only option was to take a cab that minimum fare was 15.00. I called the Clarion hotel and they said shuttle ended at 11pm. Would not reimburse me either. Please advise other booking clients of this. Thank You.

Great diner meal. Not a full buffet.

• Double Queen Room

Place looks a bit tired and worn. Carpet was worn (maybe dirty) in the high-traffic areas of the room. Caulking in the bathroom needed to be replaced. Good for sleeping, but not a place you'd where you'd want to hang out.

Friendly staff, good breakfast, convenient location to airport and activities on the west side of Grand Rapids.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Double Queen Room

Hallway dingy colored, and dark , dirt in all the corners of hallways and elevator. As a single female made me nervous.

The beds were comfortable and plenty's of towels

• Double Queen Room

The lighting in the room seemed a little dim, but I understand they are for efficiency and the hair dryer in the bathroom was broken. You had to keep you hand on the button while trying to dry your hair.

The hot breakfast was a nice tough. The staff was very friendly and efficient.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Double Queen Room

The bathroom wasn't completely clean, and the air conditioner didn't work the first day, but they did fix it and gave a discount without having to ask.

The bed is very comfortable with plenty of pillows however they are very high. And the breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

At check-in they could not find our reservation, saying that it must not have come through from Booking.com and that they were booked out. Sharing our confirmation email didn't seem to interest them, and it wasn't until I insisted they check again that they found the reservation - there was no apology. The next morning at breakfast someone told the employee overseeing the food that there was something wrong with the toaster. Her response was a shrug of the shoulders and a comment that she doesn't usually work the breakfast shift.

Very easy to find and lots of restaurant options nearby.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Double Queen Room

Airport shuttle quits at 11 pm & flight got in at 11:30 therefore couldn't use the park & ride so had to pay for airport parking. I understand that competitors have shuttle all night.

Good bed-good variety for breakfast

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

There was no phone in the room. No way to contract front desk. Used my cell phone, But had to look up the number from my phone. Used number in email from the hotel.

Clean room. Quiet neighbors. Clean abundant towels in bathroom. Plenty of pillows for the bed. Brought rolling rack to room per my request. Would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

When we were checking in the room was not clean and we got another room but it was not a king bed . it took 30 min to check in . check in time was 3:00 .

The bed was nice

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double Queen Room

I booked 6 rooms and we found a bedbug in one of the rooms where my friends were. it was crawling on the sheets and we videotaped it. It was awful and we talked to the front desk about it. Because it was a Sunday and we were checking out, I was told that a Manager named DEB will call me back first thing Monday as she is in at 6 am. She never did so I called her mid day. She was very cold and unapologetic and told me that clients can get bed bugs even in a 5 star hotel. She was deflecting the issue of them being infested and was trying to minimize it. It was worst than being told you are lying, when I showed the video with a time stamp to the front desk. She was the worst! She should be fired! Stay away from this place or you will end up throwing your belongings because you don't want to bring the bugs home!

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Double Queen Room

Requested wake up call did not receive one, requested shuttle to airport not booked. Extreme lack of communication will not stay at your hotel again.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Double Queen Room

A little run down looking. Parking lot had dirty pillow and garbage strewn throughout, also guest next door was smoking in room and we could smell it every time we went into our bathroom.

Bed was awesome, clean bedding and towels! Very impressed.? LOVED the parking long term for airport and our shuttle guy was amazing!!

• Double Queen Room

The beds, location, & my room had a broken tv remote. To ad a safety problem, room 160 had no smoke detector as well as no CO2 detector. All around, my opinion of the facilitiy is very poor.

Not much

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Room was Very Dirty. Booking.com Gave Me The Wrong Room And The Maintenance In The Rooms Was Awful.

Nothing Was Very Upset. Would Not Recommend TO Anyone.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

Extra friendly people staffing a beautiful hotel within a 5 minute drive to the airport. It's exactly what we were looking for and they delivered on their advertising.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Double Queen Room

No smoke detector in room ..wires hanging out of the wall...broken and useless wall plugs...thin walls and so could hear my neighbors TV all night

Comfortable beds, clean room, nice staff

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Double Queen Room

Told me there was a pool never expressed only out door pool, I booked a suit got stuck with a queen double!! My room was too small for my families Lil play date, no swimming crowded in beds, crowded in room, I was not able to get refund because I booked on booking.com I'm pissed and my kids were even more pissed we did not enjoy what we did there we could have at our residence. Whole experience was horrible.

Breakfast I guess.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

• Double Queen Room

The rooms show some where and tear - especially in the bathroom.

The breakfast was great, bed was very comfortable and I appreciated how close I ws to the front door making it easy to take care of my dog.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Hot tub water could not be drained due to faulty or broken handle. Water had not been used in a while. Lots of sand residue in water.

Waffles, coffee,fruit juices & meat were good.