Reviews of Days Inn by Wyndham Penn State 3 stars

240 South Pugh Street, State College, PA 16801, USA

#6 of 25 hotels in State College

The location was perfect for us, as it was an easy walk to the Penn State campus (my husband is an alumnus). We were a couple of blocks from some very good restaurants.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Loud A/C, worn bedsheets, worn out carpets, dated looks, terrible coffee in the lobby.

Great location, fairly quiet, good water flow in the shower, free (but limited) parking.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The halls were a bit dark and they forgot to throw out an Applebee’s container in my refrigerator from previous guest.

I liked the comfortable room, bed, central location and friendly staff. The tv was easy to use and had plenty of channel options. Also, I liked the free parking and room rate. I was there for a Penn State New student orientation.

• Business King Room - Non-Smoking

Things seemed a little dated. Carpets in hallways, elevator. Room was okay though. Coffee was empty in the morning.

Good location, close to campus. Easy parking.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bar/ restaurant outside seating could use a little renovation and cleaning.

Loved the walking distance to Penn State and town. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Elevators sketchy (sometimes a step up from elevator to floor), harsh light at sink

Easy check-in, lots of info provided by desk once requested, clean room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the staff was incredibly helpful and very very nice I must say, I loved it!!! it is very rare to find such friendly people as you have working there!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The pool could have been warmer, and adding a hot tub would be so awesome!

The bed was super comfortable, the room clean and the staff super friendly. We drove all night from NH and toured the college all day. I called to see if we could get early check in as we were exhausted, and they were more than happy to help us out....the whole experience was wonderful!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Most places we stay have breakfast included but State College was lovely to visit and many great places to eat.

When we asked for a cot at check in, staff asked if we would like to upgrade at no additional cost. Hotel has been recently updated and looks beautiful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The staff was incredibly friendly. Everyone we saw smiled and asked if we needed anything. Hotel is very pet friendly. Lobby area is lovely. Coffee bar was a huge plus.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Wish I got a better price but we signed up late and it was a football weekend (blue-white scrimmage) so it's not like we missed out on much better prices elsewhere. As far as I know, every place jacks up rates on football weekends, even on the blue-white game.

The location is perfect. The restaurant and bar are very good. Fun atmosphere and attentive service. Staff at desk was helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The stay did not include complimentary breakfast, and we had to find breakfast nearby.

The hotel was beautiful and clean. Close to, if not right in downtown.

• Business King Room - Non-Smoking

The bathtub drain was a bit clogged which led to a very slow drain while taking a shower and there wasn't a fan, making the bathroom super humid.

Days Inn Penn State is one of the best Days Inns I've stayed at. The location is perfect for walking around and I'm willing to pay extra for the convenience of staying right in the middle of everything. Booking.com itself was great because my card I used to reserve the room had gotten stolen and was no longer active so they sent me an email and a text to let me know so I didn't lose my reservation!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Liquor/beer store in the hotel. Mad Mex for dinner in the hotel. Location was great. Staff was friendly. Requested a crib for my infant daughter and it arrived within 25 minutes. Requested late check out and it was graciously granted. Great stay overall.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

This Days Inn has it down to a science and make everything easy and perfect just like most of the businesses in State College. Will stay here every time if there are rooms available.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room was clean and comfortable . Wish we could have enjoyed more time there. Checked in late evening and left early the next morning so didn’t get chance to check out amenities in the hotel. Desk staff was helpful and cheerful. Overall a great place to stay. We will be back I’m sure.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They only allotted one parking spot per reservation; therefore, only one person received free, on-site parking.

The location is fantastic, right in the heart of State College. It was very clean and exceeded our needs.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There is no central heating - instead the room is poorly equipped with an old air condition - it is very noisy and if we turn it off it gets extremely cold (My husband got sick from staying there). The refrigerator is noisy too. The coffee machine is old and not working well. It is two person’s room they only give us one tee bag every day. There was even one day the room is barely cleaned. We pay almost 130 US dollars per day. I really don’t think it is worth the money!

The pool is ok.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The one drawback was a highly mediocre restaurant next door. However, there was a great waffle place a few blocks away.

Convenient free parking, walkable distance to University. The room was great, quiet, and clean. The staff was very helpful.

• Business King Room - Non-Smoking

The only thing that was wrong, the tub drain was plugged up slow draining. Told the front desk and no one ever came up to our room. ( 635 was our room ) other then that all was great

It all was very nice

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Great location in the heart of State College. Clean and comfortable rooms, and cute interior. Indoor pool. Mad Mex attached. Reasonable mid priced hotel. Free parking.

Nothing. Everything from check in up to check out were smooth and a great experience. Definitely a recommended hotel to stay when you visit State College.

Great location and great room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The wifi network was not secure, which is an issue with certain elements for work.

Rooms were very nice, and most importantly, quiet! The staff was very helpful and friendly and you can't beat the location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The kids (preteens) running up and down the hallway, playing ball in the hallway, well past midnight .

Bed was side, staff was very helpful and the location was great for walking to bars, restaurants and the event we were attending on campus.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Too many kids in the pool.

Right in town and close to everything. Easy parking. Front desk gave us water and snacks. Surprisingly good price for booking on a busy weekend and onl a

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Rate was a little high for a room with double beds. The free parking downtown is a bonus, but no breakfast is included in the high price either. I would say the rooms are a decent size, but price is high for all that is included.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The only thing I was unhappy about was that a continental breakfast was not included with our stay. When I did my search for places to stay, I selected to only see places with breakfast included. When I checked in, I asked about breakfast times, and that is when I was informed that breakfast was NOT included, they have a restaurant attached that they gave us a 10% coupon. It was 10:30pm when I checked in (with 2 teen-agers), so I was too tired to go to another hotel. I would have NOT booked at this place if it was clear breakfast was not included!! Will not stay there again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Restaurant and bar in hotel lobby were very good. Can't beat the location. Would definitely recommend if you are visiting Penn State. Park your car in the hotel lot and you can walk everywhere. Walk to restaurants, bars, Target, and campus.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The overall atmosphere was great, the location of the hotel to where I wanted to go was absolutely perfect. The staff was amazing. Overall, everything was more than what I was expecting. I will absolutely book with Days Inn when I come back to State College.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Would have appreciated a continental breakfast:( but we did appreciate the coffee/tea service. Water bottles in the room would have been nice as well.

Loved the location! Ran to Target and ate breakfast at Panera; both close walking to Days Inn. Staff very friendly and Sunny was a sweet addition. We ate at Tex Mex and loved that we did not have to go out into the zero degree weather!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room overlooked atrium, not outside, too much febreeze smell throughout-time to get rid of carpet. Absolutely overpriced for penn state parents weekend. Leak from upstairs toilet into ourbathroom, though it was addressed quickly.

Great location in town, great mexican restaurant, staff very friendly snd helpful

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No hot tub in the pool area. Also a window that overlooks inside the building was awkward. Had the curtains closed mostly. And not having access to the restaurant through the hotel when there was clearly a door connecting them was a bit annoying.

The pillows and bed were very comfortable. Room was appropriately clean and housekeeping came in to clean during my two day stay.

We brought our two dogs and the staff made them feel right at home. While we were at dinner, our dogs were barking a bit, and the front desk staff gave me a call and said they were willing bring our yellow lab and labradoodle to the front desk to keep them company. That did the trick because the dogs chilled out. That type of service was above and beyond, and my wife and I really appreciated the effort! We'll be back often!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

If you use the trolley cart, make sure to get the correct elevator and follow the signs as there are stairs between the two sets of hallways.

Loved the location! right in the heart of downtown, near the Skellar, Phyrst and the Gaff. There was construction going on down the street but didn't really affect us. The kids loved the large pool- it was nicely heated.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The limited parking space on the top ground. No elevator from the lower ground parking to street level

The close distance to the Penn state campus. Price is great for the location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was a dog friendly hotel and I asked for a room not dog friendly and the staff laughed and said they all were but most dogs are always on first and third floor. When I got out of the elevator the hotel smelled like dog, and I was put on the second floor. I went down to tell him and he laughed a girl said they could sanitize but needs at least an hour to do so and it was already 9pm. I sprayed cologne in the room and didn't spend much time in it after that. Event weekend price gouging is also very terrible. Amazing how hotels cost 3 to 4 times the normal rate.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Location was everything! Once we checked in and parked our car, we were thrilled to walk around downtown. Room was nice and clean, and the A/C was cold! What more can you ask for?

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The two bed room we had was a little small.

The staff at the front desk was amazingly friendly and the beds were insanely comfortable. Also, the location is 2 blocks from College Ave so You can walk to a bar, restaurant, shop, etc. in 2 mins. More importantly you can walk back at the end of the night

• Deluxe King Suite - Non-Smoking

The air conditioning unit was in the outer room. The person on the pull out frozen and we in the bedroom were hot. You jacked up the price of the room because it was move in day. 329.00 is New York City prices. Shame on you!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Unfortunately no breakfast. Room window cant be open so room can be naturally ventilated.

Great location in center of State college. A bit outdated but still very good. Super friendly and polite front desk staff and hotel managemet. Always ready to assist with all kind of requests.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We were moving our daughter down from Maine to PENN State, we had more than one car to assist with the process. When we asked for another parking pass for the 2nd car, we were denied. I do understand that parking is limited in the area, but it just was a big time bummer and had to find another location to park the 2nd car. After we asked and was told no, we went out to the parking lot to go move the 2nd car and there were numerous empty parking spots.

I very much like the location in State College, friendliness of the staff and the amenities.

• Business King Room - Non-Smoking

1) There were bed bugs, we discovered in the middle of the night. 2) My stay was supposed to be adjusted because we had to leave early, I made all the proper calls and got OK's from Booking and Hotel, YET my charge still state the original price of approx. $458 I was told and have the hotel bill where it state approx. $300 and change. Please fix this!!!

Kind Staff

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We stayed on the 3rd floor and the "maid" was super kind and welcoming. I'm sorry I cannot remember his name. We appreciate you being Pet Friendly! thank you

Bathroom was cramped.

The view was hilarious - interior to an atrium! Get the interior view, otherwise you might get urban crowd. Parking filled but we were given passes to other nearby parking. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I saw a lot of dogs, which is great, but I would hope rooms are designated as dog friendly... I have a dog, but choose not to travel with her and don't want to stay in a room that had pets.

I love staying here! So close to campus, friendly staff, clean rooms.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

While in shower could hear next door guest getting in shower (kinda creepy). Then the water would drop/raise in temp the rest of my shower.

Staff, decor, cleanliness

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Just some picky comments even though the stay was terrific - I would have preferred two queen-sized beds instead of full beds; mattresses were very firm, a bit too firm for me; there were only a few tissues in the tissue box with no extra box around; there are no towel racks next to the sink to hang hand towels; and signs in the lobby point that access to the restaurant is available from around the corner in the lobby right from the hotel, but when you get there, the doors leading out to the restaurant have signs on them that you cannot enter/exit from there, instead you have to turn around and go through the lobby exit doors outside and down the street to the restaurant extrance, it isn't far, but the lobby signs are misleading.

Great location, free on-site parking, free Wifi and great connection, very clean, plenty of towels and washcloths, bathtub, nice pillows, wonderful room temperature, very friendly front desk staff, and nice restaurant next door.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Difficult to maneuver luggage cart. Staff sent me on a route that included steps which does not work with luggage cart. Overall cleanliness could be improved.

Quiet

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds were way too small. A double bed should never even be offered. It should ALWAYS be queen beds. The AC unit was a disaster. Extremely loud and rumbling which made it impossible to sleep in the super small beds.

The location and parking were great

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Indoor pool room was very humid and the smell of chlorine was strong. Only stayed about 25 minutes. ( I realize it probably has to be.)

Nice location a short 2 blocks or so to the campus. Property was clean. Indoor fitness center. Helpful front desk staff.

• Business King Room - Non-Smoking

Didn't have a complimentary breakfast.

Loved the bed and the shower. The hotel is located in a great part of State College so that you can walk a couple blocks to get to see bands in the bar.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I wish my room was cleaned better prior to my stay.

When visiting Penn State this is one of the best located hotels with walkability to campus and town.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Two things: I needed help printing things out for my daughter who is attending Penn State in the Fall, and Wendy (manager) was amazing trying to help me with a printing issue (my computer issue) Also, I left my phone charger in my room after I checked out and I called the hotel and they had it waiting for me when I came back at the end of the day.

There was a $20 hold due on card or I couldn't check in. I never knew about. They should collect it up front. They probably want the price to be a certain # to attract people and if they add the $20 up front, the # will be inflated. I ordered breakfast and it was to come in 15 min. It never came after 45 min and I called. They said they didn't know my room #. I called the order in on ext 137 as the menu said. They don't have caller ID?

Clean, quiet, comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Only thing that I would suggest is to try to figure out how to freshen up the entrance on the side from the parking area. There is a 6 pack shop in that side of the building and the overwhelming smell of beer is evident as soon as you walk through the doors. I am a beer fan but it smells like an area the day after a party.

The location was great. It was within walking distance to everything in the downtown area. Room was very clean and comfortable. The lobby area was very welcoming and the staff was very nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I enjoy architecture and have to say that from the outside, the hotel is not attractive at all. The building appears to be constructed of concrete panels with brown stones--not a good look. It would be nice if there was a place to have breakfast inside the hotel. There's a Mad Mex restaurant attached to the hotel but the Yelp reviews were mediocre so I just did the 5-10 minute walk to Starbucks every morning--no big deal.

Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the parking deck. It was quiet, the bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and spacious. The in-room refrigerator was a nice amenity. Location was ideal--5 minute walk to restaurants and businesses adjacent to the Penn State campus. The hotel was very pet friendly. We brought our 2 standard poodles and had no problem taking them for walks around the perimeter of the parking deck--lots of grass, trees, and a doggie bag dispenser just outside the hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Parking was tight. Not enough room in lot! Would have liked a light breakfast selection with the coffee.

Room was clean and comfortable with all the amenities. Nice pillows!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The pool wasn't as clean as could have been and it was on the cold side. My children's teeth were chattering.

The atrium was beautiful. The front desk was wonderful and informative. Although the check-in was busy, they showed us points if interest around town clearly and quickly, and with a smile.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room, on second floor, was over/near bar on first floor and it was VERY noisy when the bar let out at 2am. Also noisy with younger people who kept letting double/crash doors slam (slam, slam, slam) as they ? visited each other in various rooms.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

If I could change one thing, there would be more breakfast choices in the hotel. But there are so many restaurants near the hotel within walking distance it was not an issue for me.

Property was beautiful, check in and reception staff was really helpful and provided information for me about great places to eat (discovered an amazing Thai restaurant right around the corner) and I had drinks at the hotel Tex Mex restaurant outside on a beautiful deck in the evening. There was a lovely landscaped waterfall and pond in the concourse area with private tables where I was able to do some work and find some quiet time during my visit. The staff also helped me secure free transportation during my son's orientation visit using the university bus service. Parking was secure, easily accessible and free. My hotel room was spacious, updated, with a nice view. The ice machine and vending machines were fully stocked and right down the hall. The bed was very comfortable, free cable provided lots of options on TV and the amenities like the swimming pool were a great addition. The rate was much less than I paid at another hotel nearby and the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming here. This is my new favorite hotel in State College. My family will be back often during the next four years while my son attends college nearby. Thanks for a really wonderful visit!!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The breakfast in the Mexican restaurant. There was really nothing good about that breakfast, A waste of money and time. But there are other options nearby for the next time like Panera. At night that restaurant is rowdy with students but hey, it was a Friday eve in State college and there are plenty other choices nearby.

Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Business King Room - Non-Smoking

Bathrooms are a bit small, but they very clean and updated. Small sacrifice for the location.

Location is perfect for walking through Town and campus. Friendly staff. Beds are comfortable.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The pillows could have been better.

The sheets were soft not scratchy and stiff, and the bed was wonderful. We really appreciated how clean the room was and that it was recently updated. We love the fact that each room had its own separate AC/heat unit as it was unseasonably warm night for State College and we could turn the AC on.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I went to get tea in the lobby and a group of employees chatted on about coffee and how many bags were used, while I waited. Which is fine, just the attitudes they gave me seemed mean girls.

The room was clean, quite and comfortable.

Room was very musty - like the AC/fan didn't work. Shower didn't get very hot.

Friendly staff. They appropriately addressed my complaints about the room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Booking directly with the hotel is definitely less expensive than using booking.com! Learned a lesson there! Still a very expensive weekend stay either way!

The bed was very comfy! Location is excellent!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Wish the room was a little bigger so we had a little more room to spread out.

Right in the middle of State College - walking distance to everything. Offers parking, pool, etc. Very convenient.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Coffee and breakfast options at MadMex were poor. Our room was an interior room that had no daylight/window. That was odd.

Great location! Staff was so helpful & accomodating.

• Business King Room - Non-Smoking

Parking wasn't great. But, honestly, not really much they can do about that in a College town. I was able to squeeze my full sized truck into a spot! Bathroom was a bit cramped.

Great bed, very comfortable. Staff couldn't have been more friendly. Room service was FAST even though they were swamped with another event happening.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The parking was horrible. The second night after driving around for 15 min. and couldn't find a place to park I was given a parking garage voucher. It wasn't well explained and I had trouble getting my car out the next day. And I had to walk two blocks uphill from the garage to the hotel past college students yelling obscenities at me.

The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room above my room was very noisy. In the morning I was unable to take a shower because the room above ours was also using the shower and the floor above the shower began to leak and pour into our shower.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No microwave, the register was noisy, and the mirror lighting showed a frightening-looking person.

We liked the fact that the bathroom and the bathroom sink area were separate. The free parking was a nice feature.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The doors did not block sound. When standing at the elevator I could clearly hear conversations from several rooms, and they were not talking loudly. At night you could hear every conversation in the hall. Again, not loud voices, they were just talking.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

we have no complaints

Staff allowed us to check in very early, which was wonderful. We arrived about an hour and a half ahead of schedule because we left the Hartford CT area very early, to allow for icy road conditions and traffic. We ran into no ice and no traffic, which explains our early arrival. The woman at the front desk was awesome and still allowed us to check in early

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The restaurant downstairs was understaffed for breakfast and extremely slow. However, the one person working an entire room full of people was friendly and tried her best.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The location was perfect!!

Browse Days Inn by Wyndham Penn State traveller photo gallery