Reviews of Motel 6 Wausau 2 stars

116 South 17Th Ave, Wausau, 54401, USA

#7 of 10 hotels in Wausau

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room smelled like rotten eggs and when booking rooms people should consider who has rooms below them or next to them. A party came in around 1:30am in the room above us and made a lot of noise like furniture moving and stumping around until 4am.

Beds were comfortable and the reception person did a great job taking care of my complaint.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The drunk man in the hall way at 11 in the morning trying to pick up my wife. The fridge was so load I had to unplug it, the a.c. did not work in room, everything was unplugged when we got in room so I had to pull out dresser desk to plug everything in, the walls were so thin you could here a man and his prostitutes in the next room all night and I had to explain to my kids they were just wrestling.

Checking out

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Halls smelled like wet dogs (several guests had dogs) and entrance doorways smelled like dog urine. Broken entrance doors. I had to hang my drapes back up on the rod in the room. Black hairs in the bed (could have been from someone making the bed) . Pillows smelled like cigarette smoke

Pleasant staff, clean bathrooms, good orice

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Because it was prom weekend, there was a lot of noise at 3:30 a.m. sounding like young kids just getting to bed but it didn't last long which was good!

I didn't get to check out the breakfast offerings....the bed was fine...

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bathroom was very very small, you basically have to stand in the toilet to open the door. All of the key card readers very temperamental if they worked at all.

Cheap, clean and close to the things we were in town for.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No breakfast, no pool, but I guess for that price it is what it is

Rooms were modern and clean. Close to interstate and restaurants. You just cant beat the rate.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

some noise from upstairs and a few smokers at exits - neither very bothersome. very small bathroom, bring your own shampoo.

very basic accommodation for very good value. Liked price and cleanliness and friendly service and great location for food gas etc.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The side entrance smelled like cigarette smoke, as did the foyer of that side entrance, so I had to walk through a heavy smoking smell. The room smelled a bit like old cigarette smoke, but not too badly.

Friendly staff, clean room. Simple, clean, and a decent sleep was what I needed traveling.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I thought I heard a dog bark in the morning.

The woman at the front desk was amazing. We wanted to go have a cocktail, but did not want to drive so she told us where the best place to go that was within walking distance. She was there the next morning when we checked out and asked how our evening was. Oh, and when we checked in, she asked if we wanted 1st or 2nd floor and my guy said 1st. There were a couple children in the lobby area and she said, "We only have 2 rooms left on the 1st floor and they are by some children" so right away I said 2nd. She smiled, I think she saw in my face that rambunctious children are not what I want to be next to on a stay away from home.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Some noise as guests awoke and started to leave facility.

Very comfortable bed. The facility is basic but for a frequent traveler on a budget I highly recommend it!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Girl next door was screaming from getting pounded. Another girl at 2 a.m screaming at boyfriend in hallway. Then i had to pull out my inner MaCGyver and fix the shower that blew up on me, water everywhere. Drain on the sink was broke. People slamming doors all night.

Not a thing

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Called twice about leaving my iPad charger in the wall outlet. They took my number and said they would get back to me but never called. When leaving asked if there was a Starbucks nearby and she said it was two miles away. I come to find out it's about a block down the road.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Stayed there 3 days and never had a room clean during my say. Had to go to the front desk to get additional towels. The new renovations look nice, but the laminate floor is not conducive to the winter weather slop that you bring into the room. The floors get all wet and sloppy. Had to put a bath towel on the floor as a shoe mat. There is no clock, no phone and you only get a bar of soap and no shampoo. There is no fridge or microwave, but there is a microwave down by the front desk. There is also no breakfast provided.

I was looking for a cheap room, and that is exactly what I got. No amenities to speak of. The bed was fairly comfortable, but I'd question the cleanliness of the linens. The pillows were the normal kind and not the big poofy ones that kill your neck with other hotels. There is a manual thermostat on the wall for the heat and an A/C unit. If you want simple with no frills, this is it.

Wasn't clean, broken bed, bed was as hard as a rock, pillows were tiny and flat, property was disgusting and the barkinglot had used needles in it.

Microwave, the mini fridge, tv, amd the wifi.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

no sidewalk on road walking to and from motel - you had to walk on the highway, especially if you were walking south toward mall and Starbucks - highway was busy and snow-covered

This place should be in the dictionary when you look up the word; DUMP. The handle to the water faucet came off in my hand. The heater unit was malfunctioning, someone stole the batteries out of the remote for tv, the bed was ''lumpy" & there were only 2 tiny towels that were there for guests. What a difference from the Motel 6 a few miles away in Rothschild! I learned MY lesson!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

First room had large stain on comforter, staff moved us to a new room but it was a Full not a queen which we paid for. No coffee pot or fridge in room. Bed definetly not as comfortable as other hotels we've been in.

Staff was friendly.

The toilet ran off and on all the time. But not a big deal at all I just closed the bathroom door and didn't here it as bad.

Friendly staff from the moment you walk in the front door

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I'm all for keeping things basic, but if I were to offer any criticism, it would be that I wish there were hair dryers in the rooms!

This facility isn't boutique, modern, or luxury, it is BASIC. This was not an option on the last question. It is clean, close to local shopping and restaurants, but it is the epitome of "you get what you pay for"! It was a place to lay your head for the night, which is basically what I was looking for. The staff is friendly and informative, I will be a repeat customer.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Not all the entrance doors had card readers and they weren't lit up so it was hard to know what to do or where the card went. I had to go back to the office and ask which was inconvenient when it was cold and I was tired. Staff was friendly and helpful though.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The outlet by the mirror ... plugs wouldn't stay in the outlets. I couldn't do my hair. The bed was terrible. The remodel was done half-ass. Cut my foot on the floor. The doors to get in the building, the key card takes forever to finally work. Wasn't just us everyone we saw struggled with it. The toliet is literally almost in the tub! Would never stay there again! Wasn't even worth the money we paid to stay there!

The staff was very nice!

- There was a bit of a musty smell when we first entered the room. - Would have been nice to have small/travel-like shampoo bottles at the property (in addition to the soap).

- Really good value for money for a king room ($35/night). - Fairly close to the downtown area (if you have a car - may not be ideal if you're just planning to walk around). - Didn't seem to be particularly noisy, bed was reasonably comfortable.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

For the price,,,, it was top shelf

The lady at the desk told me about a beautiful back road to talk back from Tomahawk. Along the river,,,,, Tell her thanks. Biker friendly. Thanks

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms nothing like pictured, bed was hard, room wasn’t clean, staff was arguing back and forth with each other, air conditioner didn’t work, had to move from original room, etc.

Staff tried to help.

Cleanliness was zero. No coffee or anything else.

What croissants, coff, stale as it was was carted away byn7:30 In 6/night,y bed was never Changed and AI was forced.to use dirty linens Awful stay, maids didn' T show up for for work. Place should be condemned by the health Dept Filthy.Place to stay.never again. I.should be refunded every.penny. plan to.contact the Wausau BBB

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Arrived early. Wasn't feeling well. Asked Kimberly about somewhere to go to wait until check-in time. She offered to check me in early. That was really a saver for me. Extremely grateful to Kimberly. Room very clean & comfortable.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We stopped in to sleep before an important meeting. When the sun went down all hell broke loose. The remodeling started. The hotel was remodeling on the second floor and they put us on the first floor. The remodeling started about 10:00pm and went till about 2:30 after multiple complaints and started back up at 5:00am. It was horrible!!!!!

the front desk lady was nice

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

sheets had not been changed, dirty towel in bathroom and the floor was very dirty

good price, newly remodeled, simple and basic furnishings, but adequate for the price

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Would have been nice if the front desk had a hair dryer and we didn't have to run out and buy one, but for the $$ we saved by staying here - no big deal.

Everything was clean and worked and the staff saved us a 1st floor room, as we requested on Booking.com. Loved the hot shower (thanks!) and the new flooring!

Location just off the interstate, and many eateries nearby. Newly renovated claim is accurate because the wood paneling and walls look freshly done. Toilet was probably not renovated, but still comfortable. Great value for the cost!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

It was all a positive experience to me. All I can think of to say here is about the dogs. When I first arrived, a dog came running right over to me before I even got through the door. I happen to love dogs, but I do know a few from people that dislike them and can even be scared of them at times.

I was pleasantly surprised by the new look. This has been my favorite Motel 6 yet! I was happy to find out there was even a little gym at this location.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Stained sheets, thin towels, minimal towels, no Kleenex, reversed water temps, broken electrical sockets, dirty floors

Staff was super friendly. They accommodated our early check in.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room did not have a blow dryer in it. It also did not have a phone until I went to the front desk and they provided me with one.could have had a microwave and fridge too

Very clean and really liked the modern design,plus the fact u except pets.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It seems there was only one ice machine for a rather larger motel.

Just two of us motorcycle touring. So this motel is exactly what we look for. Value, cleanliness, no unwanted frills, good AC, good bed, clean bathroom. Expectations were met. I would book this again at the price I booked..

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the smell and when I was walking further down the hall, looking for a vending machine, it smelled like pot. Also, there was very little selection in the vending machine.

I was just in the motel to sleep , the bed was comfortable and the room was clean although it did have an unpleasant smell. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Our key barely worked to get in the motel, the tub didn't have a plug to fill to give my infant a bath, and either the room was way to cold or way to hot there was no happy medium

Really liked that there was no carpet and I was able to put my infant on the floor the play

everything

terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!Booking.com advertising that this hotel has a gym and continental breakfast; it had neither!!!!!! Wi FI wasn't working till 1030 pm!!! Went to room and it hadn't been cleaned ( dirty towels and sheets on floor, filthy) Went to front desk and they kept telling me it had been cleaned (unbelievable)!! Finally, firmly told front desk attendant that I wanted a different room. I will never use booking.com or Motel 6 again!

The noise from adjacent room, it was a bit loud, so they need better sound proofing. The outside sounds were a bit noisy but not bad when the air conditioner was on which was nice and cold! hard bed could use better mattresses. and only one nightstand for a king size bed. They should have a stand on both sides there was plenty of room for it.

The flooring was vinyl tiles and I liked it better than carpet.the fridge was nice and cold and a convenience to have in the room. Decent flat screen tv and I like that they provide a tv channel guide. It was a very decent looking room, pretty clean. You couldn't beat the price for what it is. I would definitely use this motel again and try the same kind in other city's. I felt safe and there is a lot of shopping and eating right by it.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was no arm chair to sit in. But mostly people came in and out the exit door, down the hall and slammed it all night. Then that finally stopped around 3 am and at 4:20 am someone pounded on a door across the hall. After 5 minutes his wife came out and yelled at him. I slept good from 5-7 am, when I got up. Also, my keys did not work so the desk clerk came and opened it for me. But I was then afraid to leave for ice.

The room was fine, as I just slept mostly, when ,I could.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The huge rock I hit with my car outside the front of the building it is in a low spot and out of the line of sight of the driver.ME

I liked the people the most.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Room was old, not very clean & could hear everything through walls. Noisy, seemed like scary live-in lodgers. Didn't feel safe.

Location & price

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

At arriving they sent us to a room that was not cleaned yet. Then they had confusion on what room was clean. After getting in New clean room. We requested new sheets as bed wasn't made with clean sheets. Had to request toilet paper and soap. The night shift was great with accommodating all our needs. Which madebourvstay better.

It was affordable

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Nothing. Only slept 4 hrs. Neighbor men.fighting . Woke me up at 4am. I only slept 4 hrs. Not clean . Loud door slamming. Barking dogs. Strange scary guests. A lot of rougher looking men. No breakfast. Just coffee.

Not much. Only slept 4 hrs. Terribly noisy with loud guests and doors slamming. Not worth the cheaper rate.

Place was dirty, staff was unfriendly, AC/heat did not work, 2nd room did not have a fridge, not very safe (exit door locks were broken), lamps didn't work due to oversized bulbs so shades were not secure, electrical cords were exposed in the rooms, noisy, could smell cigarette smoke through the vents...overall, disgusting! Will never stay there again...worst EVER in all our years of using hotels throughout the country and abroad!

Nothing at all...except the price ($35/night) BUT you get what you pay for!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Outside door lock not working.

Room was clean, modern updates. Close to Starbucks, Panera Bread, Shopko, an many others. Easy on an off acess to highway.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Housekeeping staff should be more flexible, if they can't come into your room at the time they usually do the housekeeping, they don't come back later even if you requested them

Counter staff very kind and helpful with all my requirements, hotel has a very good location, accesible to a public transportation

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Updated room meant a coat of paint, new floor and a curved shhower curtian in the very small bathroom. Just needed a little more small things..... like covering of the TV wires to make it look nice would have been a big help.

The location was great. For a quick Ski trip to Granite Peak it was good because we needed a inexpensive place and this was it. Close to downtown and food all around.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Sticky floor in room, doors closing loudly in the hall and people talking until 1:30 am on a Monday night, suspicious goings on in room across the hall, exercise room dirty/ tv didn't work, and no breakfast in the morning.

Bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Smoke detectors beeping in hallway all night, road traffic noise,doors slam very loud, room was ice cold when I got it, door handle to my room didn't work

I liked that it was only 35 dollars to stay

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We stayed two weekends in a row. The first weekend was across from a side entrance that was littered with cigarette butts and trash. Our room smelled smoky. They didn't have another room to give us. Second weekend room was better. All side entrances need trash cans and cigarette receptacles.

Rooms were clean. Beds comfortable. Overall quiet. Leonard, the front desk clerk was very cordial and accommodating.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The blankets and sheets were probably not cleaned from the last person. I found a dirty sock tucked up in the blankets. The toilet wasn't probably cleaned either. It was used and not flushed.

nice, simple room for a good price.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

TV. Didn't work. Went to the desk 3 times. It was not fixed during our stay. No one came to look at it. I called the manager at least 3 times on the phone but he never directly talked with me.

Value and cost of room

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Temperature control was a little odd at first but it was quick to figure out. Staff wasn't available during our checkout in the AM.

The rooms were nicely redone. Cozy.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

The noise inside the room, you can hear all what is going on in the corridors, smelly pillows

Good value for money. We booked 3 nights, but check out earlier - 3pm on second day and we got refund for the 3rd night which was very nice

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

What didn't I like? Where do I begin? Bathroom was dirty, urine on the base of the toilet. Linens were stained,towels were old and scratchy. The window treatments were barely hanging there - lots of deferred maintenance. The fire hazard of the cord from the ac sitting on top of the heat radiator. The noise!every NIGHT!People running in the hall,talking loudly and slamming doors. I tried calling the front desk repeatedly,no answered. Walk down to find no one at the desk... He's in a dark room , away from the desk. Trying to sleep! Who's in charge! Who's responsible for the hotel in the middle of the night??!! I didn't feel safe. I checked out at 4:30am! No one should stay at the Motel 6 in Wausau,WI!!!

Good location and free internet.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

The staff were not dressed in uniform, just street clothes. The noise level from the hall was loud. The maid didn't clean our room, make the bed the second night. There was a gentleman staying there that was hanging out in the lobby that was obnoxious and the staff did nothing to address it.

The price was right. The room was clean and basic.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was not supplied with basic hotel body care basics. I had to use the body wash I brought with me for Shampoo as I was not provided anything other than a bar of soap in the room. Some towels weren't folded and the shower had hair in it (not mine). Would have liked a coffee maker in the room.

The price was low and room fairly clean for that price. The front desk staff were very friendly and quick with check in/out.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Our 1st time at a Motel 6.... was surprised they did not provide tissue, shampoo, or a hair dryer. (An extra $1 per day / room rate would cover this.) Also, the morning coffee in the lobby was only "warm". Will stick with the chains we are familiar with in the future.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Our thermostat didn't have a cover on it so you couldn't read the temperature. It was extremely warm in our room and we couldn't cool it down by controlling the heat.

Had a good selection of TV channels

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Walls are paper thin you could hear conversations in the next room like you were sitting next to the person. Didn't care for the dog barking inside. There was poor left in the toilet.

Looks nice after the remodeling.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Upon check-in the front desk clerk could not give a place to eat or any advice on the area. And after we paid for the room he also informed us that they had been in trouble for recent prostitution and drug selling rings. And then he asked for my wifes ID. Like she may be a prostitute!???! That made my wife both nervous and embarrassed. I asked for my money back and he said no. Absolutely not.

The hotel was very close to the hwy and easy to get to. The rates were very cheap which we should of been wsry to

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Odd layout in our room. Had to turn sideways to get into the bed. No room for nightstands at all. Very noisy. Went to different hotel in same area for following night.

The staff was nice. Good location.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was one of the nastiest rooms I've ever been in. To much nastiness to mention! Obviously housekeepers are not doing there job! If rooms were inspected periodically they would see floors not mopped (big ole dried up spill between beds) and bathroom floors not getting cleaned. Nasty! Hair around edges and corners.

Front desk clerk was very helpful

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No coffee maker in room. Went to lobby to get some and airpot was always empty.

Close to supermarket and other stores. Plenty of delivery restaurants in area

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No wash cloths, which I didn't notice until it was too late to ask for them, no kleenex. Bathroom floor was not clean. Had to have them mop main room floor because it was sticky.

Size of room was fine, great price.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

unsanitary poorly cleaned rooms. found a filled heroin syringe between my mattress. unfriendly people living in motel. I felt unsafe when walking outside to my car. people loitering outside motel late @ night.

friendly staff when checking in.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bed needed new sheets, room wasnt clean, other guests in the hotel and parkinglot were SUPER loud and obnoxious and got like nooooo sleep.

Staff was nice. Check in was fast. Good price

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There wasn't breakfast or fridge/microwave in the room but I was not expecting that because the price was so good, so that wasn't really a negative!

Loved the renovated rooms for the price that we paid! The location was perfect to walk to the marathon the next day! We didn't need a pool or any grand amenities. We needed a clean comfortable place to stay for a night before the 1/2 marathon. The front desk staff was pleasant and accommodating. I slept well in the bed and pillows were good. Room was clean and we were happy with what we got for the price! I have only stayed at a motel 6 one other time on my travels and was somewhat nervous about what we would walk into...and at least at this motel 6 I was pleasantly surprised and very satisfied.

The room was outstanding.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Comfortable bed. Clean room. Excellent convenient location close to shopping and restaurants and downtown. Would definitely stay here again.

All was good

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Real cream for the coffee!

It was quiet, staff is very helpful and accommodating.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The card access reader for the side door stopped working.

Clean, quite

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

no breakfast, not many choices for vending, no pool, thin walls, smelled of smoke.

Many doors to access building

Really nothing. Everything was fine.

Friendly, helpful staff